PDA

View Full Version : I did it!! (Avoided the Super Bowl hype for the 2 weeks)

Showtime100
02-05-2012, 12:32 PM
.....and it felt great. This is the first time I've ever done this and I'll bet I didn't miss a thing. I said after the Championship games I would program ESPN(s), NFLN, NBCS, and all other SB stations out of my remote and damned if I didn't.

I'm old enough to remember all of them, although my SB I and II memories are a bit fuzzy, and since about 1980 (IMO) the game has been over-hyped so bad you almost forget it's just one little game where the football and the momentum can take unexpected bounces.

Well, today I will watch a Super Bowl with the same approach as any other game. Pizza, beer, and only one day's worth of my own thoughts going in. Hopefully the result will be is a game that lived up to the hype I gave it. The most important game of the year with the winner taking the crown.

Life has been good the last two weeks w/o a dissection an hour of the big game.

Kaiser Toro
02-05-2012, 12:47 PM
I did not plan it, but I too stayed clear of the build up. May have been more intrigued to pop-in on the coverage if it were not another Boston-NY love fest - which is a major factor in me not watching any baseball.

Ruinondd
02-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Congrats! For me its easy, I don't watch live TV unless it's a sporting event. Everything else I get online.

Playoffs
02-05-2012, 01:31 PM
There's a 10 hour pregame show on NBC now...

All of this Hollywood glomming onto the SB & promoting all the new primetime drivel is beyond the pale. :smiliepalm:

Showtime100
02-05-2012, 01:45 PM
There's a 10 hour pregame show on NBC now...

All of this Hollywood glomming onto the SB & promoting all the new primetime drivel is beyond the pale. :smiliepalm:

Yeah, that's the other part of it I can't stand. It seems like it got a lot worse than it used to be from a Hollywood standpoint. All these little poodle guys from E Network saying how much they LOVE what so-and-so's wearing (Madonna I guess this year) then proudly saying how stupid they think the game is with the obligitory shot at football fans.

However, I'm still not watching and probably won't until the game. I'm going to my mom's house for some of her Chicken Fried Steak (yes!!) and that should take me up until 4:00 Central after I do some chores for her that she can't do. (I think I got the good end of that deal...lol).

Mr teX
02-05-2012, 02:10 PM
you're telling me...i avoided ESPN and the NFL network like the plague.....normally 2 channels that i watch alot. I can't stomach all the tom brady knob-slobbing....on another note, what the is wrong with pro football HOF voters? Now we have Tim Brown, Cris Carter & Andre Reed getting snubbed....with Marvin Harrison becoming elgible in 2013...

mattieuk
02-05-2012, 03:06 PM
I barely watched a thing - been sport free for a while, with the NHL's all star break as well.

That said - I ignored it so much, I didn't realise that Gron had a legit injury worry for the game (not that he isn't playing!).

Speedy
02-05-2012, 03:20 PM
I don't ever watch the networks any more. I use the 'net to get whatever information it is that "I WANT", I don't have to sit there and be force fed what the networks think I want.

If I don't want to hear about Tim Tebow or Peyton Manning, I don't click on those stories. My network is a whole lot easier and gets to what I want to know about. All that other crap, I don't have to deal with.

Playoffs
02-05-2012, 03:32 PM
...little poodle guys from E Network...:spit: Rep!

Dutchrudder
02-05-2012, 04:26 PM
People watch NFLN when there isn't a game on?

SheTexan
02-05-2012, 05:02 PM
I did it too!! In fact, right now it's 4pm and I'm watching the tailend of Ghost! Not turning the game on until kick off. Been a NICE two weeks!

TheMatrix31
02-06-2012, 12:07 AM
There wasn't much buildup to steer clear of anyway. No stupid fluff stories, no stupid city stories, none of that crap.