PDA

View Full Version : Knapp offered Raiders OC job.../takes OC Raiders position

texan279
01-31-2012, 01:42 AM
http://extreme.mobile.msn.com/sports/nfl/article/1228335

"Two sources told FOXSports.com that Houston Texans quarterbacks coach Greg Knapp was offered Oakland's offensive coordinator position. Knapp held the same position with the Raiders in 2007 and 2008. He also has previous NFL coordinator experience with San Francisco (2001 to 2003), Atlanta (2004 to 2006) and Seattle(2010). Allen and Knapp worked together as Falcons assistants in 2004 and 2005."

Ryan
01-31-2012, 01:49 AM
Not truly surprising, did a great job getting the rookie as ready as possible.

TimeKiller
01-31-2012, 07:50 AM
I'm guessing he'd rather stay here than go to Oakland again.

srrono
01-31-2012, 08:01 AM

Loyalty only goes so far I am guessing OC gets paid a lot more than QB coach.

Brisco_County
01-31-2012, 08:05 AM
He'll go to Oakland. Coaches always take the promotion, and it doesn't hurt that the Raiders are under new management.

NastyNate
01-31-2012, 08:22 AM

Would you turn down a job that likely payed 2.5-3x as much that let you call the shots? He had Jamarcus Russel, an injured Ronald Curry, Justin Fargas, Josh McCown in 07/08... not exactly all stars. Palmer, Run DMC, Bush, DHB, they've got a great squad and an excellent offensive line, he can succeed there much like when he was in SF.

nero THE zero
01-31-2012, 08:49 AM
He'll take it. He earned it.

As a related side, I'm curious why John Benton (*knock on wood*) doesn't get any looks. The guy has done an amazing job with the o-line. Even when Gibbs was brought in the coaches and players raved about the job Benton does. I'm glad he's been kept our little secret.

MistaRed
01-31-2012, 09:01 AM
He has accepted the offer according to Jason La Canfora

Texans34Life
01-31-2012, 09:06 AM
The Redzone @TheRedzoneorg
Updating an earlier story, Jason LaCanfora of NFL Network reports Greg Knapp has accepted the Raiders OC position

Texan_Bill
01-31-2012, 09:23 AM
He's already gone according to Wikipedia, LOL.

Although, it wouldn't surprise me if he did turn the job down having been an OC in Oakland before and experiencing the dysfunction that is the Oakland Raiders.

Rey
01-31-2012, 10:33 AM
Good for him.

Next man up?

srrono
01-31-2012, 11:20 AM
Who will the Texans look at as a QB coach?

Dutchrudder
01-31-2012, 11:21 AM
I wonder if they would be interested in trading for Matt Lienart... Even a 6th is better than nothing.

TEXANRED
01-31-2012, 11:26 AM
Congrats Knappy!

Jackie Chiles
01-31-2012, 11:39 AM

Jeff Garcia!

beerlover
01-31-2012, 11:43 AM
Now this is Texan news that's NFL related.

kiwitexansfan
01-31-2012, 12:22 PM
I wonder if they would be interested in trading for Matt Lienart... Even a 6th is better than nothing.

I think they should. Then draft a qb with their last remaining draft pick.

Then you would have spent an entire draft on QBs. Awesome strategy.

TexanSam
01-31-2012, 12:26 PM
I'm guessing now that the Raiders have an actual GM in place and no Al Davis to look over everyone's shoulder, that Knapp thinks the new Raiders organization won't be as dysfunctional. Wish him the best.

LongTimeLurker
01-31-2012, 12:28 PM
congrats to knapp, the decision for this hire shouldnt be so urgent, i think we should take our time, if anything kubes can play the role if needed to delay the hiring for a better hire

Dutchrudder
01-31-2012, 12:43 PM
I think they should. Then draft a qb with their last remaining draft pick.

Then you would have spent an entire draft on QBs. Awesome strategy.

If anyone is going to do it, it will be the Raiders.

TimeKiller
01-31-2012, 12:57 PM

I guessed wrong.

Salary is not everything NastyNate. To me anyway, there are plenty of places you couldn't pay me to go to/back to. You can call the Raiders "born again" all you like but the stigma of them being completely dysfunctional is still there.

Hopefully Knapp can work his jelly and get them out of that perception, just as long as that has no negative repercussions on the Texans!!!!

amazing80
01-31-2012, 01:07 PM
good move for Knapps, this is ok with me, he is good, but with Kubiak here we will continue to be ok on offense

NastyNate
01-31-2012, 01:25 PM
I guessed wrong.

Salary is not everything NastyNate. To me anyway, there are plenty of places you couldn't pay me to go to/back to. You can call the Raiders "born again" all you like but the stigma of them being completely dysfunctional is still there.

Hopefully Knapp can work his jelly and get them out of that perception, just as long as that has no negative repercussions on the Texans!!!!

Knapp ran out of Oakland last time. Trying to coach up the likes of Jamarcus Russell would make anyone look a failure. I think that with no Al Davis micro-managing you, Palmer, Run DMC, DHB, and a solid O-line, it's a no brainer really. Raiders have a ton of upside.

False Start
01-31-2012, 01:58 PM
It sucks to lose Knapper, but I have faith that Kubiak will find a good man to replace him.

DX-TEX
01-31-2012, 09:27 PM
Knapp leaves for Oakland OC job and Peyton basically says he is through in INdy. Leaves only one logical conclusion:

Peyton to Texans to coach himself to the Superbowl!

beerlover
01-31-2012, 09:35 PM
It sucks to lose Knapper, but I have faith that Kubiak will find a good man to replace him.

has Sherman found another gig yet?

Doppelganger
01-31-2012, 09:38 PM
Knapp ran out of Oakland last time. Trying to coach up the likes of Jamarcus Russell would make anyone look a failure. I think that with no Al Davis micro-managing you, Palmer, Run DMC, DHB, and a solid O-line, it's a no brainer really. Raiders have a ton of upside.

You left out the biggie: The Raiders play in the AFC West. Denver looked good on Defense but iffy on offense. Now they have lost their DC. SD has looked like it may have peaked. Their D without Ron Rivera wasn't anything special and the offense underperformed. The Chiefs are a work in progress. I think the AFC West is going to be down for a few years and now is a great time to join the Raider staff. If he can do a good job, he can cash in on a HC job in a few years.

Fili
01-31-2012, 09:51 PM
Too bad... If he's missing a SB ring next year he doesn't get to come back...

Doppelganger
01-31-2012, 09:53 PM

BL! :kubepalm:

On a serious note, how about Steve Clarkson. He is a QB guru who helps recruits bone up on skills for the draft and for college recruiters. He previously has worked with Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Leinart, J. P. Losman, Gino Torretta, Matt Barkley, Matt Cassell, Terell Pryor, and Jimmy Clausen. He is considered one of the premier QB coaches in the country.

Plus, here is a great stat for you. In 1984 Clarkson was undrafted and signed on with a specific team. He stuck with that team for a year and then went on to Canada for a couple of years. Care to guess the Starter and Backup for the team he signed with as an UDFA? That's right: The Denver Broncos. John Elway was the starter and some guy named Gary Kubiak was the backup...

:tiphat:

EllisUnit
01-31-2012, 09:57 PM
we dont need a QB coach, just put on film of david carr and tell them "dont play like this" and all will be good :)

76Texan
01-31-2012, 10:26 PM
Joe Montana recently reduced the asking price on the vacation home that he has been trying to sell for more than 3 years by $14M.

Sounds like he can use a job. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Lucky
01-31-2012, 11:32 PM

They should consider John Shoop, formerly the offensive coordinator at North Carolina. Shoop ran an offense similar to the Texans, and tutored TJ Yates for 4 seasons.

NastyNate
02-01-2012, 07:56 AM
You left out the biggie: The Raiders play in the AFC West. Denver looked good on Defense but iffy on offense. Now they have lost their DC. SD has looked like it may have peaked. Their D without Ron Rivera wasn't anything special and the offense underperformed. The Chiefs are a work in progress. I think the AFC West is going to be down for a few years and now is a great time to join the Raider staff. If he can do a good job, he can cash in on a HC job in a few years.

Excellent point.

HOU-TEX
02-01-2012, 08:45 AM

OC for the Dolphins

srrono
02-02-2012, 05:48 PM
ClaytonESPN John Clayton
Checking up at Super Bowl. The Raiders paid big money to hire Greg Knapp as OC, He'll install zone blocking scheme.

We need to watch out OAK could try to steal C Myers away. Myers would make transition real easy for OL.

thunderkyss
02-02-2012, 06:31 PM
ClaytonESPN John Clayton
Checking up at Super Bowl. The Raiders paid big money to hire Greg Knapp as OC, He'll install zone blocking scheme.

We need to watch out OAK could try to steal C Myers away. Myers would make transition real easy for OL.

It may not be their "system" but Oakland played a lot of zone blocking. I thought that may have been why they were able to slow our running game.

They understand what we're trying to do, & know how to attack it.

srrono
02-02-2012, 06:57 PM
It may not be their "system" but Oakland played a lot of zone blocking. I thought that may have been why they were able to slow our running game.

They understand what we're trying to do, & know how to attack it.

They ran the Zone Scheme when Cable was coach and Knapp was OC.

PHAROAH
02-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Good luck to him he earned the job!!!

edo783
02-02-2012, 10:26 PM
You hate to see good coaches go, but I wish him well.

thunderkyss
02-02-2012, 10:36 PM
I know we've got a few irons in the fire already, but shouldn't we be filling some of these vacancies soon?

1bigfan13
02-02-2012, 11:05 PM

I thought he did a pretty good job with Yates as well.

Houston is in a better position to win than Oakland. I can only assume that opportunity to work with a legit QB this time around in Oakland played heavily in his decision. And of course the promotion.

Thing is....I'm not too high on Carson Palmer. He had some great years earlier in his career but I haven't been that impressed with him in recent years.

HOU-TEX
02-03-2012, 09:19 AM
Looks like he's taking our asst oline coach with him. I've always beer weery of losing asst coaches. They likely do most of the work. Ha

According to Steve Corkran of the Contra Costa Times, Frank Pollack is the new Raiders offensive line coach. Pollack has been the Texans’ assistant offensive line coach under John Benton since 2007.

http://blog.houstontexans.com/2012/02/01/pollack-reportedly-joining-knapp-in-oakland/

dream_team
02-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Looks like he's taking our asst oline coach with him. I've always beer weery of losing asst coaches. They likely do most of the work. Ha

http://blog.houstontexans.com/2012/02/01/pollack-reportedly-joining-knapp-in-oakland/

I don't understand why do a lateral move? Especially to a lesser team. Unless he simply didn't want to be part of the Texans anymore.

HOU-TEX
02-03-2012, 10:46 AM
I don't understand why do a lateral move? Especially to a lesser team. Unless he simply didn't want to be part of the Texans anymore.

It's not a lateral move. He was an assistant oline coach here. He'll be THE oline coach for the Raiders

Rey
02-03-2012, 11:30 AM
It feels good to be the team that other teams takes coaches from.

thunderkyss
02-03-2012, 04:57 PM

Not to mention the job he's done with Schaub the last couple of years.

I'm not a big, "rah-rah" Schaub guy, but dude has been very efficient & effective here in H-town.