PDA

View Full Version : Rename the Texans

forcefollow
01-24-2012, 09:50 PM
There has been some talk of renaming the Astros which is dumb in my opinion. If any team needs to be renamed its the Texans. I have always been a fan of the team and I like the colors and the logo, but the name is bland. They could keep the logo and name the team the Toros or the bulls. Maybe the Hurricanes or the Roughnecks.

In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter. Just a thought.

redwhiteANDblue
01-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Texans. That name runs in my blood already. Its going to take a lot to take it out

thunderkyss
01-24-2012, 09:55 PM
:texan:

Hottoddie
01-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Don't mess with the Texans. :foottap:

Thorn
01-24-2012, 10:00 PM
:texan:

Yeah, it's the Texans now. But I didn't like that name at all when it was first announced. If I remember correctly, I liked the Stallions as one of the names floated for the team. So just for the sake of argument, I throw that out.

stingray
01-24-2012, 10:02 PM
The Houston Anteaters!!!

Playoffs
01-24-2012, 10:08 PM
Drillers!

Corrosion
01-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Jim Crane's an Idiot ... so is the thought of re-naming this team,

ObsiWan
01-24-2012, 10:47 PM
What about the thought of going back to these unis...?

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJVXB_9TBXyG95P9N57yZQADthjo4sa G0zeAItJaJLT3MMfK7h

Edit:
Guess he'll have to get rid of that Astrodome thingie on the shoulder...

ObsiWan
01-24-2012, 11:02 PM
There has been some talk of renaming the Astros which is dumb in my opinion. If any team needs to be renamed its the Texans. I have always been a fan of the team and I like the colors and the logo, but the name is bland. They could keep the logo and name the team the Toros or the bulls. Maybe the Hurricanes or the Roughnecks.

In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter. Just a thought.

Yeah, it's the Texans now. But I didn't like that name at all when it was first announced. If I remember correctly, I liked the Stallions as one of the names floated for the team. So just for the sake of argument, I throw that out.

The Stallions sounded too much like the Colts to me.

I was in favor of something that identifies with the city. Houston is noted, world-wide, for two things, Energy and AeroSpace. That's why every other Houston team has a name related to one of those two things.

Dynamo, Oilers -- energy
Aeros, Rockets, Comets, Astros -- AeroSpace

I kinda liked the Roughnecks since it was energy related and those guys are pretty tough to do what they do.

And there's just waaay too many potential Montrose-related jokes in that "Drillers" name.

aussie_texan
01-24-2012, 11:06 PM
from an outsiders perspective i think the texans is great. for non-americans like my self there are a few stereo types that come out and one of them is that the state of texas is football mad. also that texas is not southern or midwest its TEXAS.
i really like the texans. even though I'm not a "texan" I'm definitely a :texan:

aussie_texan
01-24-2012, 11:07 PM
that may have not made any sense but ohwell GO TEXANS!!!!

Playoffs
01-24-2012, 11:11 PM
that may have not made any sense but ohwell GO TEXANS!!!!
No, you're spot on.

aussie_texan
01-24-2012, 11:12 PM
sounded better in my head then when i wrote it down i was like WTF

False Start
01-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Yeah, I don't think so. I'm proud of the team and the name, because I'm A Texan dammit! :texflag:

Lurvinator11
01-24-2012, 11:46 PM
I liked the Apollos. But honestly, the name Texans has grown on me. I was skeptical at first, I honestly thought they would change the name after a season, but now I can't imagine any other name. I love the Texans.

Also, Jim Crane would be run out on a rail if he re names the Astros. For a long time, The Astros were the heart and soul of this city! Just because we change leauges doesn't mean we change names too!!! I know that everyone still loves the Astros, and that wonderful feeling that we felt in 2005 at Minute Maid, or even the feeling we felt a couple of weeks ago at Reliant, will be back and strong soon in Minute Maid.

ObsiWan
01-24-2012, 11:49 PM
sounded better in my head then when i wrote it down i was like WTF

Nuttin' wrong with your post.

...besides, I'm used to the name now.
I'd have to go and get all deprogrammed if they changed it.

Lady.Gaga.3000
01-24-2012, 11:52 PM
Texans plays off the Cowboys name. Probably intentionally.

TejasTom
01-25-2012, 12:05 AM
There has been some talk of renaming the Astros which is dumb in my opinion...

Heard a caller on one of the shows today say, "If he is going to rename the team, he might as well move them to Tennessee."

Texanmike02
01-25-2012, 12:13 AM
Was there a contest I was unaware of? Did Hook'em come into some SB 2013 tickets that he's auctioning off for the worst thread of the week? Seriously first trade schaub/MW for Manning... now rename the team? Roughnecks? Yeah because I want to be sentenced to the "rednecks" for the rest of my life?

Come on guys, man up and stop saying stupid @%@%.

Mike

Texan4Ever
01-25-2012, 12:19 AM
I say fuk Bud Adams and let's adopt this:

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/50726685.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=4996399091E831862FBC1490FAE61AF04A5CA3D98B00E0B3

BullNation4Life
01-25-2012, 12:22 AM
I liked the Apollos. But honestly, the name Texans has grown on me. I was skeptical at first, I honestly thought they would change the name after a season, but now I can't imagine any other name. I love the Texans.

Also, Jim Crane would be run out on a rail if he re names the Astros. For a long time, The Astros were the heart and soul of this city! Just because we change leauges doesn't mean we change names too!!! I know that everyone still loves the Astros, and that wonderful feeling that we felt in 2005 at Minute Maid, or even the feeling we felt a couple of weeks ago at Reliant, will be back and strong soon in Minute Maid.

His team, he can do what ever he wants with it and Houston fans will still cheer them on. I kinda hope it happens because Drayton McClain left such a bad taste in my mouth the way he ran that team into the ground on purpose. I say screw it, New owner, new league, new name, new identity....

As for a name or re-name Houston Synergy....

or the Houston Metros like Metroplex...

Grams
01-25-2012, 07:31 AM
Seriously??

It ia going to be a LONG offseason at this rate.

SheTexan
01-25-2012, 08:30 AM
Seriously??

It ia going to be a LONG offseason at this rate.

SOOOOO true!! SMH!! Can I just nap until August?

Playoffs
01-25-2012, 08:39 AM
The BuckFuds!

We could get a logo from one of these:

http://slanchreport.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/bud-adams-flipping-the-bird.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_sK6O7q1TURQ/SwwRXqHLQXI/AAAAAAAAC10/D4W0XEjSM2Y/s400/Bud+Adams+Bird.JPG

Showtime100
01-25-2012, 09:14 AM
Texans plays off the Cowboys name. Probably intentionally.

I would disagree. Texans brings in the whole state which is a good marketing plow. True, that includes the Dallas area (technically :D), but I don't think that is what his motivation was. JMO.

IF that theory of mine is true, however, it's ironic he would name the team something to get all Texans to feel like it is their team then turn around and not lift a finger to market them at all throughout central and south Texas.

nero THE zero
01-25-2012, 09:20 AM
I also prefer(red) Apollos.

Texans is too cheesy, gimmicky for me. But, that's who we are.

Also would have preferred the Green/Yellow unis that were floated.

XI CMURDER IX
01-25-2012, 09:28 AM
The Astros, and we can use the current logos. I think they would look pretty sick on black helmets!

http://cdn.ngin.com/attachments/photo/0967/6025/astros_logo_medium.png

Malloy
01-25-2012, 09:28 AM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it :)

Showtime100
01-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Let's play musical mascots. We can make the Rockets the name of the baseball team, Astros to football, and Texans to basketball just to piss off the Spurs and Mavs. The Dynamo?? We'll call them the Houston 1836 or maybe the '36'ers. :D

TexanSam
01-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Man, it's gonna be a long offseason. But I'll play along.

I'm probably one of the few who liked Wildcatters when the final names for the team came out. I just thought it sounded cool. I wasn't a fan of Texans at the time but have grown to like it.

Ole Miss Texan
01-25-2012, 10:00 AM
I love the Texans name, our uniforms and our helmets. I think they're awesome!!

I'm glad how it turned out. I still wish we could have named them the Oilers though...

TheCD
01-25-2012, 10:03 AM
I guess it's just personal taste, but I really like the name Houston Texans. Flows off the tongue well, and hell...I'm a proud Texans, so I've got no qualms there.

I actually hated every other name floated. I would honestly be embarassed to say I am a fan of the Stallions. There's plenty of horse mascots out there (Broncos, Colts). Apollos made sense, but for some reason never really sat well with me. It just doesn't flow right, in my opinion (too similar to Astros, maybe)

To me, the Texans are the perfect choice, and it embodies who we are. Does it seem lazy? Sure. But, honestly, I think it takes a lot of brass in the world of marketing to choose a name like this, knowing you would get that lable. Quite frankly, Texas is the only state you could do this with, and they took full advantage of it.

cuppacoffee
01-25-2012, 10:44 AM
I liked the Gamblers, their unis, colors and logo.

Probably could have reached a deal.

Maybe could have signed their old QB instead of drafting DC. Probably would have turned out better.

Guess the powers that be wouldn't like the name Gamblers in the NFL.

:coffee:

BullNation4Life
01-25-2012, 11:07 AM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it :)

Texans, yes...

Astros, broke....

BullNation4Life
01-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Man, it's gonna be a long offseason. But I'll play along.

I'm probably one of the few who liked Wildcatters when the final names for the team came out. I just thought it sounded cool. I wasn't a fan of Texans at the time but have grown to like it.

Isn't a Wildcatter a dude who runs around and parties all the time?

False Start
01-25-2012, 11:16 AM
I feel like I have entered the .com zone with these threads here lately. :backsout:

Texanator
01-25-2012, 11:31 AM
The name goes back to the original name of the Cowboys, before they moved to KC. it actually has history, although I don't care to be associated with Dallas in any way.
I'm a TEXAN and damn proud of it!

eriadoc
01-25-2012, 11:31 AM
I was chatting online with a guy from Australia recently. He asked me if I was an Aussie. I replied, "No, I'm a Texan" without even thinking about it. Afterward, it occurred to me that I didn't say American, though I am certainly that.

Anyway, that ought to answer the thread question for me.

Dutchrudder
01-25-2012, 11:39 AM
I would be in favor of changing it to The Oilers, but that's about it. Oilers just fits so well, it's really a shame Houston lost the name in the move.

Lurvinator11
01-25-2012, 12:10 PM
The name goes back to the original name of the Cowboys, before they moved to KC. it actually has history, although I don't care to be associated with Dallas in any way.
I'm a TEXAN and damn proud of it!

Well it wasn't the cowboys, Because the Dallas Texans were an AFL team. As you know, when the Cowboys came in, the Owner of the Texans knew he couldn't compete with an NFL team in the same city. So they moved to Kansas City. It was pretty cool to see the Kansas City Texans a couple of years ago, when they did the old AFL uniforms.

Wasn't there a Texans team even before the AFL? Like in some world football leauge or something like that? I know one of the reasons they chose the name, was because it had history in the State of Texas, and they wanted the name to appeal to all of texas, not just Houston. Although you would nver guess that now due to how little they promote outside of Houston.

DocBar
01-25-2012, 12:11 PM
His team, he can do what ever he wants with it and Houston fans will still cheer them on. I kinda hope it happens because Drayton McClain left such a bad taste in my mouth the way he ran that team into the ground on purpose. I say screw it, New owner, new league, new name, new identity....

As for a name or re-name Houston Synergy....

or the Houston Metros like Metroplex...Dallas is already called the Metroplex and there is already a team called the Metro(politan)'s in MLB: The NY Mets.
I agree it is Crane's team now and he can do what he wants to. I don't think you get rich enough to buy a major league franchise by being a complete moron, though.

Double Barrel
01-25-2012, 12:28 PM
I'm fine with the Houston Texans. :texflag:

The only other name that made sense to me was the Houston Toros for many obvious reasons.

michaelm
01-25-2012, 12:51 PM
I kinda liked the Roughnecks since it was energy related and those guys are pretty tough to do what they do.

I agree that Roughnecks are pretty tough, but if you're looking for some dudes who are extremely tough, look no further than your friendly neighborhood oilfield diver. :)

Hervoyel
01-25-2012, 01:01 PM
I didn't like the name, still don't particularly but it's done. It's too late to change it and now love it or hate it I'm attached to it in some fashion.

And Crane has no intention of changing the Astros name. He's just throwing everybody off the scent of his agreeing to move to the American League. Once he announces the cool new Astros uniforms and that he's retaining the name nobody will give him any more crap about agreeing to switch leagues.

Smart man actually.

Showtime100
01-25-2012, 01:11 PM
I was chatting online with a guy from Australia recently. He asked me if I was an Aussie. I replied, "No, I'm a Texan" without even thinking about it. Afterward, it occurred to me that I didn't say American, though I am certainly that.

Anyway, that ought to answer the thread question for me.

I didn't like the name, still don't particularly but it's done. It's too late to change it and now love it or hate it I'm attached to it in some fashion.

And Crane has no intention of changing the Astros name. He's just throwing everybody off the scent of his agreeing to move to the American League. Once he announces the cool new Astros uniforms and that he's retaining the name nobody will give him any more crap about agreeing to switch leagues.

Smart man actually.

Except for me and a million other fans.

SheTexan
01-25-2012, 01:19 PM

The only other name that made sense to me was the Houston Toros for many obvious reasons.

Sorry DB, Toros was my least fav of all the names mentioned at the time.

Wasn't crazy about TEXANS as our name, but, I figured that any man who would plunk over 700 million bucks for a franchise could name it whatever he wanted. I wanted BOBCATS, in honor of the man who fought to bring an NFL team back to Houston. But, as many said during the elimination process, it sounded to High Schoolish. Of the final five I wanted Apollos.

Daddy Bob knew what he was doing. He wanted TEXANS all along, and most of us who followed the process from the get go pretty much knew that would be our name. SOOOO, when it came out I was not surprised and had pretty much prepared myself for that name. It fits us just fine, and I think he knew it would!

Hookem Horns
01-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Drillers!

Hey, that was the name I came up with.

Houston Drillers

It's sticking with the oil theme and they could have come up with a similar logo that the Oilers had. It kinda sounds like Oilers also. We could have named the defense the "Drilling Crew" again, etc.

Anyway, out of all the other names that were being floated out there at the time the Texans was the best one. If they would have went with Stallions I probably would just be a Giants only fan today.

Edit: Just saw Sandy's post ... I would have been good with Apollos too, though my issue with it at the time was that it is too much like the Titans.

2012Champs
01-25-2012, 01:41 PM
His team, he can do what ever he wants with it and Houston fans will still cheer them on....

exactly sounds like the people who were upset when it was announced that astroworld was closing and when asked when was the last time they went to astroworld most said it had been years

Hervoyel
01-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Except for me and a million other fans.

I think you overestimate "a million other fans"

Corrosion
01-25-2012, 01:53 PM

No other name makes sense.

FIXED! :specnatz:

Some people shouldnt be allowed to start threads ..... First the guy who wants Peyton Manning and now this joker ..... :smiliepalm:

Showtime100
01-25-2012, 02:23 PM
I think you overestimate "a million other fans"

The number might be wrong but you get my drift. I think you overestimate his motives.

HOU-TEX
01-25-2012, 02:29 PM
I think it's a perfect name. Maybe a little biased since I's born and raised here, but it's quite fitting. At least for people like me.

And maybe it's just me, but I kinda dug the white helmet. Wonder why they changed it? Tougher to keep the clean look, maybe?

Big Lou
01-25-2012, 03:41 PM
I'm in, but only if we can change thier name to:

the Houston "AFC South Champs"

otherwise I kinda like the Houston "Texans".

Only drawback to the name is that people around the country that don't have teams are very unlikely to make the Texans, "thier" team that they pull for. However do we really care, I don't think so.

Playoffs
01-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Hey, that was the name I came up with.

Houston Drillers

It's sticking with the oil theme and they could have come up with a similar logo that the Oilers had. It kinda sounds like Oilers also. We could have named the defense the "Drilling Crew" again, etc.Driller?

I don't even know her.

:tomato:

Speedy
01-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Hmm...I could understand this thread after a 2-14 season, but after a playoff run? Not so much.

Carry on.

RagingBull
01-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Dallas is already called the Metroplex and there is already a team called the Metro(politan)'s in MLB: The NY Mets.
I agree it is Crane's team now and he can do what he wants to. I don't think you get rich enough to buy a major league franchise by being a complete moron, though.

Instead of the Met(ropolitan)'s, Dallas could name their team the Metro(sexual)'s. It would fit perfect with Romo as the QB.

michaelm
01-25-2012, 04:36 PM
After thinking a little about the thread topic, I have come to the conclusion that this is the worst thread that I have ever taken part in.
On the other hand, it is the offseason, so don't let me stand in the way of a little good mental masturbation. :)

Showtime100
01-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Hmm...I could understand this thread after a 2-14 season, but after a playoff run? Not so much.

Carry on.

Indeed. After the Rockets won back-to-back I doubt I was the only one who winced when they changed uni's. By that I don't mean the ungly pajamas they opted for either.

At the time I would have preferrred Apollo's but they are the Texans and today I can't imagine it any other way. In hindsight I'm glad they chose Texans as a mascot instead of calling themselves the Texas Toros or Texas Apollos whatever. I gives the same vibe but in a much less arrogant manner.

(Hmmm. Texas Toros.....not bad)

HOU-TEX
01-25-2012, 04:59 PM
The Houston Flux Capacitors

Our logo

http://www.cotygonzales.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/043-fluxcapacitor-nerdyshirts.gif

Thorn
01-25-2012, 05:24 PM

....and our offensive linemen would carry tazers. TD everytime Baby!!! LOL

Big Lou
01-25-2012, 06:12 PM

Our logo

http://www.cotygonzales.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/043-fluxcapacitor-nerdyshirts.gif

This would be awesome, we could go back in time and not draft Bennie Joppru, and we could stop the Dayne Train from ending anyones careers.

wildroot
01-25-2012, 09:07 PM
The Pittsburg Pennsylvanians, The Buffalo New Yorkers, The Oakland Californians, The Cleveland Ohioans, The Baltimore Marylanders, The Green Bay Wisconsonites, The Chicago Illinoians, The Miami Floridians, The New Orleans Louisianaians, The Seattle Washingtonians, New England Massachussens, The Denver Coloradans, The Detroit Michiganders, Michiganians, Michiganers, Michiganites....take your pick. The Atlanta Georgians, The Carolina North Carolinians, The Kansas City Kansans...or is it Missourans? The St.Louis Missourans!

Anyway, just a short excersise to see what it would be like if all the other teams named themselves after their State.

I knew there was a reason I never really cared for the name "Texans" when attached to the team. I'm obviously proud to be a Texan as I'm from Texas, but I wonder what players that come here from other states think? I mean if I played for the Oakland team and was from Texas, it would probably be easier for me to feel prideful to be a RAIDER rather than a Californian, cause I'm not a Californian, I don't want to be a Californian...no confusion here guys, I'm a Texan! Meh...I guess you pay me enough you can call me whatever you want.

Hookem Horns
01-25-2012, 10:38 PM
The Pittsburg Pennsylvanians, The Buffalo New Yorkers, The Oakland Californians, The Cleveland Ohioans, The Baltimore Marylanders, The Green Bay Wisconsonites, The Chicago Illinoians, The Miami Floridians, The New Orleans Louisianaians, The Seattle Washingtonians, New England Massachussens, The Denver Coloradans, The Detroit Michiganders, Michiganians, Michiganers, Michiganites....take your pick. The Atlanta Georgians, The Carolina North Carolinians, The Kansas City Kansans...or is it Missourans? The St.Louis Missourans!

Anyway, just a short excersise to see what it would be like if all the other teams named themselves after their State.

I knew there was a reason I never really cared for the name "Texans" when attached to the team. I'm obviously proud to be a Texan as I'm from Texas, but I wonder what players that come here from other states think? I mean if I played for the Oakland team and was from Texas, it would probably be easier for me to feel prideful to be a RAIDER rather than a Californian, cause I'm not a Californian, I don't want to be a Californian...no confusion here guys, I'm a Texan! Meh...I guess you pay me enough you can call me whatever you want.

Yeah, just like the Montreal Canadiens, no non Canadian hockey player ever wants to play there. I wonder if some of the smaller guys on the Giants have less pride because they are not really giant?

Also, think about Roger Clements. He is from Texas, he must have been real uncomfortable playing on a team called the Yankees.

:thinking:

ThaJokaa
01-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Renaming the Texans?! The Cush says...

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2uxvl00.jpg

Naiirb
01-26-2012, 04:48 PM
What were the other names being proposed? I remember the Apollos and Toros being thrown around before settling with the Texans.

Double Barrel
01-26-2012, 05:59 PM
What were the other names being proposed? I remember the Apollos and Toros being thrown around before settling with the Texans.

Apollos, Bobcats, Stallions, Texans and Wildcatters.

Corrosion
01-26-2012, 06:50 PM
Apollos, Bobcats, Stallions, Texans and Wildcatters.

Im glad they went with Texans .... the rest of that list blows.

ObsiWan
01-26-2012, 08:13 PM

Smart man actually.

The flapping tongues on the radio (97.5 fm I think) were saying that whoever bought (or kept) the Astros had to agree to move to the AL. So if they're to be believed, Crane had no choice in that aspect of the deal.

hookinreds
01-26-2012, 09:05 PM
What about the thought of going back to these unis...?

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJVXB_9TBXyG95P9N57yZQADthjo4sa G0zeAItJaJLT3MMfK7h

Edit:
Guess he'll have to get rid of that Astrodome thingie on the shoulder...

I would soil myself if they came out of the dig out on opening day in that uniform.

mussop
01-26-2012, 10:32 PM

And you thought bulls on parade was gay? :kitten: I'll never forget watching a rockets game that Calvin Murphy was calling back in the day and he said " these fellows need to grab on to Hakeem's broad shoulders and ride that stallion home". Maybe it was the way he said it but that had to be one of the gayest things I've ever heard. For some reason every time I hear the word stallion it reminds me of that moment. :vincepalm:

mussop
01-26-2012, 10:39 PM
The flapping tongues on the radio (97.5 fm I think) were saying that whoever bought (or kept) the Astros had to agree to move to the AL. So if they're to be believed, Crane had no choice in that aspect of the deal.

I heard he had a choice but that if he agreed it would cut 40 million off the price.

I never liked the name Astros anyway. It reminds me of the jetsons dog. But I have never been a baseball fan so I could care less. Baseball is like boxing IMO. It's a dead sport. Had it not been for steroids BB would of probably went bankrupt by now.

BetaV1
01-26-2012, 10:46 PM
Sexans.

D-ReK
01-26-2012, 10:55 PM
And you thought bulls on parade was gay? :kitten: I'll never forget watching a rockets game that Calvin Murphy was calling back in the day and he said " these fellows need to grab on to Hakeem's broad shoulders and ride that stallion home". Maybe it was the way he said it but that had to be one of the gayest things I've ever heard. For some reason every time I hear the word stallion it reminds me of that moment. :vincepalm:

This one time, like eight months ago, I saw two guys kissing in a park, and that was the gayest thing I'd ever seen, until I saw that Calvin Murphy quote.

Marshall
01-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Isn't a Wildcatter a dude who runs around and parties all the time?

Yes, and with other peoples money. Often selling 400-500% of production to Investors (suckers). Might as well call them Houston Thieves.

Of course that's better than the Houston Apollos which is a foreign (Greek) god. Why bring disaster upon ourselves by provoking Yahweh (God)?

Now if you HAD to change names, I like the Republicans (as in Republic of Texas) or Secessionists as a wink toward America's Team.

Raf
01-27-2012, 11:05 AM
I didn't like any of the names then. Texans has grown on me and well...no looking back now.

But back then, a name that you don't see a whole lot in teams is "Venom". There's no snake-like logo/mascot in the league so I figured that would be original. I know snakes and Houston aren't so synonomous but neither are a lot of other cities with their football teams. Well...unless you bring up the Texas rattlesnake but Houston Rattlesnakes doesn't sound so good to me.

Also....don't know that Venom and the snake (any type) logo would be as marketable as Texans. But while thinking about it...when using Texans...you're sort of isolating your fan base. Sure there will be some from outside of Texas that might buy in...but it'll be rare, whereas if you use something other than Texans...people from outside the state will be more willing to jump on.

For colors...any color will do as the snake family come in all sorts of color combinations and the logo could be very awesome. The possibilities are endless.

Vinny
01-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Apollos, Bobcats, Stallions, Texans and Wildcatters.Just think of the abuse McNair would have gotten in the dark years with the name of BOBcats.

Showtime100
01-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Just think of the abuse McNair would have gotten in the dark years with the name of BOBcats.

Mercy...lol.

Crazy people showing up at his office looking like Bobcat Goldthwait.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/ShowtimeN15580/Pet%20Funny%20Misc/untitled-1.png

Hello, wabbit!

Texan_Bill
01-27-2012, 03:44 PM

Sounds, ummmm :thinking: too USFL. :shades:

Vinny
01-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Sounds, ummmm :thinking: too USFL. :shades:Kevin Greene was one of the Stallions (http://www.usfl.info/stallions/1985tdraft.html) notable draft picks in 1985...The Rams drafted him the same year (5th round).

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4iWQxuI1PnM/SblmDe84_oI/AAAAAAAABrQ/RNq1rQl9dhk/s400/USFL%2520Birmingham%2520Stallions%25201983-85.jpg
Birmingham Stallions

gtexan02
01-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Was there a contest I was unaware of? Did Hook'em come into some SB 2013 tickets that he's auctioning off for the worst thread of the week? Seriously first trade schaub/MW for Manning... now rename the team? Roughnecks? Yeah because I want to be sentenced to the "rednecks" for the rest of my life?

Come on guys, man up and stop saying stupid @%@%.

Mike

Man, you've gotten mean.

badboy
01-27-2012, 04:00 PM
I did not like the name at first but when the bull emblem on the helmet was presented, I was like "yeah, that's cool!" No name change now.

Hardcore Texan
01-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Born in Houston, raised in Texas, the place where they'll put me in the ground ....perfect name for me. :texflag:

Ranger Tom
01-27-2012, 09:20 PM
There were no good names on the list they came up with. "Apollos" was apparently meant to be a tribute to the space program, but it feels weak for some reason. Stallions and Bobcats are names for high schools, not NFL franchises. The definition of "Wildcatter" isn't commonly known. As for "Texans"...I hated it when it came out. It seemed lame and lazy.

But we got a really cool logo out of it, so I can live with it.

Seegara
01-29-2012, 11:18 PM
I like the name Toros which of course is the Spanish word for bulls. It would match our logo, which is the best in pro football. Toros wouldn't turn off potential fans from out of state.

The Astros have already changed once. They started out Colt 45's.

False Start
01-29-2012, 11:25 PM
I like the name Toros which of course is the Spanish word for bulls. It would match our logo, which is the best in pro football. Toros wouldn't turn off potential fans from out of state.

The Astros have already changed once. They started out Colt 45's.

Cool, thanks. I was trying to remember what they used to be called. :)

edo783
01-30-2012, 12:23 AM
I have always thought the name "Texans" was one of the lamest names in the NFL, but that they had the coolest logo in the NFL. Myself, I would have preferred the name "Stampeed", but over time Texans has grown on me and we still have that really cool logo!

TheMatrix31
01-30-2012, 12:26 AM
I enjoyed the name from the beginning. Better than forcing something else.

Toros would have been cool, but eh.

KA4Texan
01-30-2012, 05:26 AM
Like a lot of people, I wasn't a fan of the name at first announcement but it has grown on me and a change is unwanted.

Besides, all these years of "No one ever talks about the Texans" when they finally do "we want to change the name?" (I know it's hypothetical, but still)

Big Lou
01-30-2012, 03:33 PM
I enjoyed the name from the beginning. Better than forcing something else.

Toros would have been cool, but eh.

Sorry, but when I hear Toros, all I can think of is 11 of these on the field:

http://www.purplewaveauction.com/a/2008/20080501manhattan/5479.JPG

Texanmike02
01-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Man, you've gotten mean.

Just two really bad threads and me in some kind of weird funk. I seriously hate the name roughnecks. It doesn't describe our city at all anymore. I love Texans because that's what we are. Nobody has state pride like we do. I should chill out though, you're right. You aren't the first to notice.

Mike

DocBar
01-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Sorry, but when I hear Toros, all I can think of is 11 of these on the field:

http://www.purplewaveauction.com/a/2008/20080501manhattan/5479.JPGYou could lose a foot or a hand with one of those things. Toro's are not to be toyed with.:kitten:

Texaninlild
01-30-2012, 06:42 PM
Since I was born raised a Texan, it is hard to move away from what I am.

Names revolving around livestock::cow:

Brahmas
Beefmasters
Horro

or you could go PittBulls-