PDA

View Full Version : You are what your record says you are...

thunderkyss
01-24-2012, 05:36 PM
Do you believe it?

Do you believe the best teams make it to the Super Bowl? That the best teams make the play-offs?

If you do, if you believe in those three statements, how do you explain the 9-7 Giants going to the Super Bowl? Are they the best team in the NFC?

If they win the Super Bowl, are they the best team in the NFL? Better than the 13-3 Saints?

If Saints were to play the Giants in the Mercedes Benz SuperDome tomorrow, which team would you put your money on to win?

Rey
01-24-2012, 05:45 PM
If teams played 7 game series like they do in basketball you'd get a better idea of where teams stacked up.

But since you can't reasonably do that in football without increasing the chance of injury sometimes the better team ON THAT DAY moves on instead of the better team overall.

But the system is how it is and everyone knows that heading into the play-offs. So to answer your question...Yes, the best team from each conference is in the superbowl because at the end of the day with everything on the line those guys did what they needed to do to get to that point.

Thorn
01-24-2012, 05:58 PM
If a team wins enough games to get into the playoffs, then wins all their playoff games and then wins the Super Bowl, then hats off to the players on that team. They played their best when they needed to.

But that doesn't make them the best team in the NFL, it makes them the Super Bowl winners. And frankly, I'd rather be a Super Bowl winner than the best team any day of the week.

Brandon420tx
01-24-2012, 06:18 PM
Yeah, I actually feel its pretty rare for the best team in the NFL to actually win the Superbowl

Playoffs
01-24-2012, 06:30 PM
...how do you explain the 9-7 Giants going to the Super Bowl? Are they the best team in the NFC?Because they're 12-7. ;)

Best in conference? I think the argument can be made that both conference games could have easily gone the other way.

JCTexan
01-24-2012, 07:08 PM
If Saints were to play the Giants in the Mercedes Benz SuperDome tomorrow, which team would you put your money on to win?

Probably New Orleans, but then would you bet the Saints over the Packers? That's what I love about NFL football. You not only have to earn your way into the playoffs but you have to earn it every step of the way.