PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Texans Talk Mock Draft

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Dutchrudder
03-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Cowboys on the clock, I see SteelB is here. Please continue to PM or email the next person when you make your pick. If you think you will be out a while, send your board of top X players to me & Super Mario.

14- Cowboys- SteelBTexan
15- Eagles- Shaft75
16- Jets- kiwitexansfan
17- Bengals- Kaiser Toro
18- Chargers- Srrono
19- Bears- MistaRed
20- Titans- Señor Stan
21- Bengals- Kaiser Toro
22- Browns- Dutchrudder

MistaRed
03-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Michael Floyd? Noooooooo

kiwitexansfan
03-05-2012, 11:27 PM
Floyd was very high on my list too.

I think he might be the most productive of the WRs this year.

steelbtexan
03-05-2012, 11:31 PM
With the 14th pick in the TT mock draft the Dallas Cowboys select Janoris Jenkins CB North Alabama.

With the Cowboys drafting Jenkins and signing Brandon Carr in FA (Rumored) a major weakness has turned into a strength. Jenkins is a grear cover guy, as witnessed by his shutting down Julio Jones and A.J. Green during the 2010 season. Although he's relatively short Jenkins has a great vertical and long arms. He ran a 4.44 at the combine. He's a great tackler in the open field. (A major weakness of the Cowboys CB's last yr.)

Jenkins is the most talented CB in this draft. IMHO and wouldn't be available except for 2 mary jane busts and a bar fight. (I dont have a problem with guys who smoke weed.) Jerrah has decided to go back to the 80's and Jenkins would be the kinda guy Jimmy Johnson would take.

steelbtexan
03-05-2012, 11:42 PM
I can see the Cards reaching for OL help here after DeCastro, Martin, and Reiff are gone since they don't have a second round pick. However I'm not much of a reacher and instead I'll look to help the Arizona Cardinals offense in another way.

With the 13th pick, the Arizona Cardinals select Michael Floyd, WR from Notre Dame. This should help Larry Fitzgerald with his double-triple coverage issues. The last few seasons rookie wide receivers have had about a 50% chance to make splash with their new teams, and the Cards gamble slightly on this one. Luke Kuechly is also one of my top 4 for the Cards who also consisted of DeCastro and Martin. LK might be a safer pick but Arizona could be desperate for some sexiness.

So ya, Michael Floyd

Like this pick

Having Floyd and Fitz should really open things up for the running game. As well as making the OL's job easier.

Everybody has done a great job so far.

I PM'ed Shaft, He will probably make his pick when he gets to work tomorrow.

kiwitexansfan
03-05-2012, 11:44 PM
Jenkins is a good pick.

I was starting to think that I might have to go in that direction just because of the value he presents around about here.

Dutchrudder
03-05-2012, 11:48 PM
I like all the picks so far, except for Poe (sorry TK) :)

I haven't seen anyone make a pick that didn't fill a need though (Vikings pick is debatable). A rather interesting trend...

steelbtexan
03-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Jenkins is a good pick.

I was starting to think that I might have to go in that direction just because of the value he presents around about here.

Thanks,

Who are you thinking about taking for the Jets?

PM me

steelbtexan
03-05-2012, 11:55 PM
I like all the picks so far, except for Poe (sorry TK) :)

I haven't seen anyone make a pick that didn't fill a need though (Vikings pick is debatable). A rather interesting trend...

Yeah, for the Cowboys the strength of this draft happens to match up with their needs.

If they can keep Jerrah sober on draft day the Cowboys should be able to add 4 major contributors to the team this yr. (Probably wont happen)

Shaft75
03-06-2012, 12:12 AM
With the 15th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Philadelphia Eagles select Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College

http://sports.cbsimg.net/u/photos/football/nfl/img17340648.jpg

Really no need for explanation... About as obvious as Cushing/Matthews to Texans in 2009. The dream team is in desperate need of players with high football IQ's.

WolverineFan
03-06-2012, 12:15 AM
Agree that all of the picks so far are hitting needs. Only reach I've seen so far was Poe, no offense to Carolina GM.

steelbtexan
03-06-2012, 12:40 AM
With the 15th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Philadelphia Eagles select Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College

http://sports.cbsimg.net/u/photos/football/nfl/img17340648.jpg

Really no need for explanation... About as obvious as Cushing/Matthews to Texans in 2009. The dream team is in desperate need of players with high football IQ's.

Best LB and one of the best players in the draft.

Philly just got better

aussie_texan
03-06-2012, 01:01 AM
love the Floyd pick to the cards.

kolb is loving life!!!!!!

aussie_texan
03-06-2012, 01:03 AM
just wondering if your going to update the results round by round or just at the end would be nice to be able to see all the picks made on one page then have to go back through pages.

PS great work on organising the draft dutch!

kiwitexansfan
03-06-2012, 02:34 AM
The New York Jets select Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama.

The Jets and new OC Tony Sparano are going to want to pound the rock and hide Sanchize. Richardson has the tools to be special, and give Rex Ryan some smash to go with his mouth.

rmartin65
03-06-2012, 07:17 AM
This is a hell of a mock. I think everyone is doing a great job so far.

Blake
03-06-2012, 07:34 AM
Picks have been updated.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90043

Also, I dont hate the Poe pick like some others. I think the dude will be a very good player and is shooting up alot of draft boards. Dont be surprised to see Poe go top 15.

Blake
03-06-2012, 07:39 AM
Also I am really impressed with how well this draft is moving in the evening and middle of the night. Do yall sleep at all? haha

NEXT MAN UP

Bengals Kaiser Toro
Chargers Srrono
Bears MistaRed
Titans Señor Stan
Bengals Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro
03-06-2012, 08:05 AM
The Cincinnati Bengals select OG, Kevin Zeitler, University of Wisconsin.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/blog/FB_111205_Ball_Zeitler.jpg

aussie_texan
03-06-2012, 08:15 AM
The Cincinnati Bengals select OG, Kevin Zeitler, University of Wisconsin.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/blog/FB_111205_Ball_Zeitler.jpg

WOOOO

did not see that coming. Big needs at Corner and WR. and help out at DE.

would love an explanation for this.

Zietler is a great player would love it if the texans got him in the real draft but in the 2nd.

srrono
03-06-2012, 08:16 AM
With the 18th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the San Diego Chargers select MICHAEL BROCKERS DT, Louisiana State

http://i42.tinypic.com/10ynq4l.jpg

Señor Stan
03-06-2012, 08:23 AM
the Titan's war room erupts, as they realize they are getting one of their guys at 20!

aussie_texan
03-06-2012, 08:24 AM
With the 18th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the San Diego Chargers select MICHAEL BROCKERS DT, Louisiana State

http://i42.tinypic.com/10ynq4l.jpg

i didn't think the chargers had a big need at NT.
and I'm not sure if brockers is a good fit for the NT position unless you have him play at DE.

again would love an explanation

Kaiser Toro
03-06-2012, 08:26 AM
WOOOO

Zietler is a great player would love it if the texans got him in the real draft but in the 2nd.

Need at RG as well. Bengals have had historical off the field problems, with Simpson only adding to that this year. The top two corners have off the field questions and the top RB was just taken. It would be a reach to go with another RB here, and going with a need at RG makes "reaching' for a tarnished CB, or RB more palatable with the 21st. Of course, BPA at WR and LB are in play as well.

aussie_texan
03-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Need at RG as well. Bengals have had historical off the field problems, with Simpson only adding to that this year. The top two corners have off the field questions and the top RB was just taken. It would be a reach to go with another RB here, and going with a need at RG makes "reaching' for a tarnished CB, or RB more palatable with the 21st. Of course, BPA at WR and LB are in play as well.

yeah forgot about that 2nd pick.
Zietler may be a reach but either way his going to be a stud

srrono
03-06-2012, 08:29 AM
i didn't think the chargers had a big need at NT.
and I'm not sure if brockers is a good fit for the NT position.

again would love an explanation

I see him as a 5 technique defensive end for SD 34 def the next 10 years.

aussie_texan
03-06-2012, 08:30 AM
I see him as a 5 technique defensive end for SD 34 def the next 10 years.

like that pick a whole lot more now!

WolverineFan
03-06-2012, 09:08 AM
I see Brockers as more of a 5' as well, not a NT. Great pick considering they just cut Castillo.

srrono
03-06-2012, 09:12 AM
I see Brockers as more of a 5' as well, not a NT. Great pick considering they just cut Castillo.

Thanks SD is a intresting team been a good team but when you really look at them they have a lot of needs.

WolverineFan
03-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks SD is a intresting team been a good team but when you really look at them they have a lot of needs.

They are getting old. They are no longer that 13-3 team that dominated the AFC with LT and Co. Still have a ton of talent, but a lot of their top guys are on the back-end of their career's.

WolverineFan
03-06-2012, 09:24 AM

Bengals definitely have a need on the interior line so it fills a need. A bit of a reach because I think he's a 2nd round prospect, but I doubt he would have made it to your 2nd round pick.

I definitely think guys will have the philosophy of drafting for need in this mock because the real draft will be more geared toward that now with the new CBA. It's not as big a deal to reach on a guy anymore because you won't be investing $20-30 mil on him.

Dutchrudder
03-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Bengals definitely have a need on the interior line so it fills a need. A bit of a reach because I think he's a 2nd round prospect, but I doubt he would have made it to your 2nd round pick.

I definitely think guys will have the philosophy of drafting for need in this mock because the real draft will be more geared toward that now with the new CBA. It's not as big a deal to reach on a guy anymore because you won't be investing $20-30 mil on him.

I agree. I think teams will do as much as they can in free agency, and then work more to fill holes in the draft regardless of value. It's not nearly as big of a deal now to make a reach or draft a bust, and I really like that setup. Make the rookies earn it, and if they don't then UDFAs like Foster and Brisiel will take their spots.

steelbtexan
03-06-2012, 09:36 AM
WOOOO

Great pick

Zietler was my 2nd rated OG. He will be a fixture on the Bengals OL for 10 yrs. Wanted him for the Cowgirls.

I like the way you just took a solid player instead of reacing for need. There will be a very good CB/RB that will be there at 21 and in the 2nd rd.

Dutchrudder
03-06-2012, 11:16 AM
I don't want to have to track back several pages to find the order. Here it is:

19- Bears- MistaRed
20- Titans- Señor Stan
21- Bengals- Kaiser Toro
22- Browns- Dutchrudder
23- Lions- Super Mario
24- Steelers- Stingray
25- Broncos- JCTexan
26- Texans- Group Selection
27- Patriots- Beerlover
28- Packers-nytexan
29- Ravens- WolverineFan
30- 49ers- Rey
31- Patriots- Beerlover
32- Giants- KMG 365

MistaRed and the Bears are on the clock.

MistaRed
03-06-2012, 12:10 PM
With the 19th pick in the 2012 Nfl Draft the Chicago Bears select:

http://thexlog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Optimized-Kendall-Wright.jpg

Kendall Wright, WR from Baylor

kiwitexansfan
03-06-2012, 12:32 PM
I was wondering when Wright was going to go. Cutler will enjoy the anticipation of throwing to Wright, just before he gets sacked.

Señor Stan
03-06-2012, 12:36 PM
On my mobile...will pick soon.

Dutchrudder
03-06-2012, 12:40 PM
On my mobile...will pick soon.

Bironas is getting old, you should pick a kicker.

WolverineFan
03-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Good pick for da' Bears. That's a decent corp of WR's with Wright, Knox (who they under-utilize severely), Bennett, Hester, and Sanzenbacher. Lots of speed, but not a whole lot of size.

I think, come draft time, CHI best case scenario is Floyd dropping to them but that won't happen.

Texan4Ever
03-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Mike Martz retired right? If so, wonder how the new offense will look.

WolverineFan
03-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Mike Martz retired right? If so, wonder how the new offense will look.

I think Mike Tice is taking over as OC so I'd expect the O-Line to be better and for there to be a bigger emphasis on the running game. They still need to upgrade at WR though.

Señor Stan
03-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Roger Goodell has just come to the podium and announced a trade...

Señor Stan
03-06-2012, 01:14 PM
just kidding...

with the 20th pick Bud Adams and his Tennessee Titans select

Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama

http://blog.al.com/rapsheet/2009/02/large_Dre%20Kirkpatrick.jpg

http://media.nesn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Dre-Kirkpatrick.jpg

Poor interview...check
Busted for weed...check
Irish sounding last name...check
tons of talent, 6'3" and a 4.5 forty time...check

Titans look past the baggage and get Cortland innegan's replacement.

Dutchrudder
03-06-2012, 01:21 PM
I was thinking of taking him at 22... Good pick, lots of talent, fills a need, and he's tall enough to go 1 on 1 with AJ.

Kaiser Toro
03-06-2012, 02:05 PM
The Bengals take, Dont'a Hightower, LB, Alabama

Dutchrudder
03-06-2012, 02:22 PM
After failing to acquire RG3 early on in the draft, the Browns continue to build around Colt McCoy and give him the best chance to be successful. After getting Blackmon at #4, they address the offense's second biggest need, Right Tackle, by taking OT Mike Adams with the #22 pick!

http://buckeyebanter.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Adams.jpg

At 7'7 325 pounds, Adams is big guy that fills a big need. Adams was born in Ohio and played at The Ohio State University, so you know he will become a fan favorite in no time. Tony Pashos is getting old and unreliable and needs to go. He will likely be cut after the draft to save about 2.75 million in cap space. Adams will have several years to work opposite one of the best LTs in the league in Joe Thomas.

Super Mario and the Lions are now on the clock!

Blake
03-06-2012, 02:23 PM
After missing out on RG3, I bet dutch takes Ryan Tannehill.

Speaking of RG3, why the heck did the Vikings take him? Doesnt make a lick of sense to me.

Blake
03-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Like I said, Mike Adams will be the pick. haha

Blake
03-06-2012, 02:24 PM
At 7'7 325 pounds, Adams is big guy that fills a big need.

Thats a TALL dude! lol

Dutchrudder
03-06-2012, 02:28 PM
After missing out on RG3, I bet dutch takes Ryan Tannehill.

Speaking of RG3, why the heck did the Vikings take him? Doesnt make a lick of sense to me.

I don't consider Tannehill worthy of a 1st round pick, nor much of an upgrade over a 3rd year Colt McCoy. If he makes it to 37, I'll consider him, but I would rather fill a real need with a good player than pick him.

Thats a TALL dude! lol

oops, 6'7... :D

Honoring Earl 34
03-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Thats a TALL dude! lol

The Cavs will use him part time .

Dutchrudder
03-06-2012, 02:31 PM
The Cavs will use him part time .

No way man, we want don't want him to go to the Dolphins...

badboy
03-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Thats a TALL dude! lolDaryl Morey read this and is preparing a trade offer.

Señor Stan
03-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Thats a TALL dude! lol

Daryl Morey read this and is preparing a trade offer.

How are his feet

Sincerely,

Daryl Morey

Honoring Earl 34
No way man, we want don't want him to go to the Dolphins...

That's true , plus you don't want a guy that big around the beach .

Señor Stan
How are his feet

Sincerely,

Daryl Morey

Hey dude...back off...that's MY deal...

Sincerely,

Rex Ryan

Blake
03-06-2012, 02:42 PM
The Detroit Lions Select: Cordy Glenn, OL, Georgia

Also a mountain of a man @ 6'5", 346 pounds. Great combine numbers to go along with his extensive career at UGA.

"Glenn started 50 games along the offensive line at Georgia, tied for the most in school history with Clint Boling (4th round pick by Cincinnati in 2010). Of those 50 starts - 28 came at left guard, 18 at left tackle and four at right guard. Some feel he's best suited to the the interior of the offensive line."

The Lions have alot of needs, and on the o-line is a couple of them. I think the Lions are expecting to have Jeff Backus back for a couple more seasons @ LT. This will allow Glenn to play guard or right tackle.

http://www.picresize.com/images/rsz_1cordy-glenn.jpg

Dutchrudder
03-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Seems like a good pick. I considered Glenn for the Browns, but they need a RT more than a guard. Guard would be a luxury pick for them at this point.

I PM'd Stingray.
24- Steelers- Stingray
25- Broncos- JCTexan
27- Patriots- Beerlover
28- Packers-nytexan
29- Ravens- WolverineFan
30- 49ers- Rey
31- Patriots- Beerlover
32- Giants- KMG 365

Blake
03-06-2012, 02:51 PM
Seems like a good pick. I considered Glenn for the Browns, but they need a RT more than a guard. Guard would be a luxury pick for them at this point.

I think he could play RT if they wanted him to.

The Lions guards are Rob Sims, Stephen Peterman and Dylan Gandy. Who? Exactly. Their LT (Backus) is a FA and their RT (Cherilus) hasnt worked out as expected when they took him in the first round.

He seems like a good kid. No injury history and played in the SEC trenches. I think he would be a great addition as a first round pick for alot of teams.

stingray
03-06-2012, 03:53 PM
With the 24th pick the Pittsburgh Steelers select DL from Mississippi State Fletcher Cox. The Steelers just cut Aaron Smith and Casey Hampton is getting old. At 6'4" and 295 lbs, Cox will probably play DE in a 3-4 defense but if he gains some weight he can move to the "0" technique.

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Fletcher_Cox.jpg

Honoring Earl 34
03-06-2012, 04:05 PM
With the 24th pick the Pittsburgh Steelers select DL from Mississippi State Fletcher Cox. The Steelers just cut Aaron Smith and Casey Hampton is getting old. At 6'4" and 295 lbs, Cox will probably play DE in a 3-4 defense but if he gains some weight he can move to the "0" technique.

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Fletcher_Cox.jpg

Nice pick because i think they are really hurtin at the 5 .

Dutchrudder
03-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Good pick. If he made it to the Texans group pick, I would have voted for him.

My board is cropping up with D linemen here at the end of the 1st. I hope a certain one makes it to 37... :D

WolverineFan
03-06-2012, 04:19 PM
My draft board just got destroyed in the last 5 or so picks.

badboy
03-06-2012, 04:23 PM
How are his feet

Sincerely,

Daryl MoreyUh, Stan? Where are you going with this? :headhurts:

Honoring Earl 34
03-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Good pick. If he made it to the Texans group pick, I would have voted for him.

My board is cropping up with D linemen here at the end of the 1st. I hope a certain one makes it to 37... :D

This is going to get dicey for the Texans consensus pick .

Dutchrudder
03-06-2012, 04:30 PM
My draft board just got destroyed in the last 5 or so picks.

Eh, Konz is still on the board, he could fit the Ravens alright. Tannehill is still out there if you aren't sold on Flacco :D

Would you have taken Mike Adams if he was there? I have been reading on some sites that Adams stock is falling to 2nd round grade due to his combine performance. I still like him, but I find it odd that he would drop about 20 spots due to splits times and such.

kiwitexansfan
03-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Wow, this is draft is smoking along, well done everyone!!

WolverineFan
03-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Would you have taken Mike Adams if he was there? I have been reading on some sites that Adams stock is falling to 2nd round grade due to his combine performance. I still like him, but I find it odd that he would drop about 20 spots due to splits times and such.

No, would take him in the 2nd but not the 1st.

JCTexan
03-06-2012, 05:05 PM
With the 25th pick the Denver Broncos select...

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r114/knight7225/5759667_f260.jpg

Devon Still, DT, Penn State.

Comes fast and hard off the snap. Will work through the whistle. Tries to swim past his man when there is room to maneuver, bothering the quarterback. Effective taking on two blockers and flashes some quickness outside on twists. Most productive against the run when slanting into the action. Strong at the point when keeping his pads low. The Broncos need defensive line help.

Fletcher Cox would have been the pick here if he didn't go one pick sooner.

JCTexan
03-06-2012, 05:06 PM
And the Houston Texans are now on the Clock! Group Selection time.

Dutchrudder
03-06-2012, 05:15 PM
And the Houston Texans are now on the Clock! Group Selection time.

Yep. I hate to say it, but I think Mark Barron SS from Alabama might be the best selection here. I do like the idea of gettin Jerel Worthy as a new NT. I'm torn, someone else comment...

Guys I would consider:

Mark Barron SS 6'1½" 223 Alabama
Jerel Worthy DT 6'3" 305 Michigan State
Nick Perry DE 6'3" 250 USC
Rueben Randle WR 6'4" 208 LSU
Peter Konz OC 6'5" 315 Wisconsin

27- Patriots- Beerlover
28- Packers-nytexan
29- Ravens- WolverineFan
30- 49ers- Rey
31- Patriots- Beerlover
32- Giants- KMG 365

WolverineFan
03-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Yep. I hate to say it, but I think Mark Barron SS from Alabama might be the best selection here. I do like the idea of gettin Jerel Worthy as a new NT. I'm torn, someone else comment...

Guys I would consider:

Randle or Konz, IMO. Randle would be the consensus pick for me right now, but if we lose Myers in FA I think you have to take Konz here and go WR in the 2nd.

JCTexan
03-06-2012, 05:22 PM

Guys I would consider:

If we're drafting under the assumption Chris Myers is gone then I would go Konz here. Keep the O-Line strong.

nytexan
03-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Randle or Konz, IMO. Randle would be the consensus pick for me right now, but if we lose Myers in FA I think you have to take Konz here and go WR in the 2nd.

I agree but I'd vote for Randle if he's available though. Guard/Center/Nose Guard are next up.

Wolf6151
03-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Stephen Hill-WR
Peter Konz-C
Jerel Worthy-DT

I think it comes down to these 3 guys, all best available at their positions. We'll never get a consensus agreement so either someone needs to take the Texans in the draft to make the pick or post a poll.

srrono
03-06-2012, 05:31 PM
I like Konz because he can play both Center or Guard so if we lose Myers or Brisiel. If we dont lose them he will be a solid back up.

Others I would like are:
Fletcher Cox DE 6-4 295 Mississippi State
Alameda Ta'amu DT 6-3 337 Washington
Nick Perry OLB 6-3 250 Southern California

Shaft75
03-06-2012, 05:33 PM
My vote is for Stephen Hill.

Dude even looks like a baby Dre!

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0224/bos_a_shill_b1_400.jpg

srrono
03-06-2012, 05:39 PM
My vote is for Stephen Hill.

Dude even looks like a baby Dre!

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0224/bos_a_shill_b1_400.jpg

I dont see the Texans taking him with the 1st pick. FO is always saying they evail players based on game film, this kid has very little film plus they ran a run first offense that ran to opposite side of him because he was a subpar blocker.

Brandon420tx
03-06-2012, 05:41 PM
I vote for Konz, he can play center or guard

rmartin65
03-06-2012, 05:46 PM
My vote is for Konz, especially if Meyer is gone.

Texan4Ever
03-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Would like Konz but I'm tempted to take Nick Perry, dudes a beast and to pair him up with Cushing, Barwin, & Co...man think of that! I don't like Worthy, injury prone and didn't really WOW me when he played.

Or how about Devon Still from Penn State?

JCTexan
03-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Would like Konz but I'm tempted to take Nick Perry, dudes a beast and to pair him up with Cushing, Barwin, & Co...man think of that! I don't like Worthy, injury prone and didn't really WOW me when he played.

Or how about Devon Still from Penn State?

I just took Still with the Broncos pick.

Brandon420tx
03-06-2012, 05:54 PM
I'd pick Konz because it'd be harder to find OL to fit our system, I really only like Konz and Molk for potential centers who can also play guard. Right now we're in a good position to get Konz so I would make that pick instead of gambling for Molk later

Honoring Earl 34
03-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Konz = need
Mercilus = pass rusher
Barron = BPA
Randle= need

WolverineFan
03-06-2012, 06:05 PM
I'd pick Konz because it'd be harder to find OL to fit our system, I really only like Konz and Molk for potential centers who can also play guard. Right now we're in a good position to get Konz so I would make that pick instead of gambling for Molk later

Molk is a pure C, IMO. Sure he could play G, but why would you want him to. I actually like Konz more at G for us.

TexansSeminole
03-06-2012, 06:19 PM
My vote goes to Mark Barron

aussie_texan
03-06-2012, 06:42 PM
My vote goes:
1. Randle
2. Konz
3. Reyes

Honoring Earl 34
03-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Barron is coming off double hernia surgey so I'm going Randle .

steelbtexan
03-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Kontz= BPA
Kontz= Need

Pick should be a no brainer

If you want to try to hit a homerun then the pick is Hill. But Kontz is a HR on the OL.

Honoring Earl 34
03-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Kontz= BPA
Kontz= Need

Pick should be a no brainer

If you want to try to hit a homerun then the pick is Hill. But Kontz is a HR on the OL.

I think you may be right if we all agree we'll lose Myers or Briesel or both .

steelbtexan
03-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Wow, this is draft is smoking along, well done everyone!!

I think it's moving along so wel because everybody had a team that they did research on before the Combine.

This is the best MB mock that I've participated in. Thanks everybody for putting forth the effort to know your teams and making your picks in a timely fashion.

JCTexan
03-06-2012, 07:33 PM
I think you may be right if we all agree we'll lose Myers or Briesel or both .

That's the difficulty of the decision, isn't it? If Myers or Brisiel are gone the pick here is Konz (imo). If both are re-signed then the pick is Worthy or a WR (Randle or Hill). It looks like the consensus right now is Konz. Any objections before I make it official?

Rey
03-06-2012, 07:34 PM
I'm against the Konz pick...I just watched some more clips of him and I'm not impressed...I'd much rather have Randle who looks like he will be a solid pro for years.

WolverineFan
03-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Pretty much comes down to whichever you think is a bigger need. If we lose Myers or Brisiel then OL is a bigger need than WR, in part because WR is deeper and a quality prospect could be acquired in the 2nd round.

If you believe we re-sign both OL guys then Randle should be the pick. If you think we don't then Konz should be the pick and take a WR in the 2nd.

MistaRed
03-06-2012, 07:51 PM
My choice for the Texans is Mark Barron.

kiwitexansfan
03-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Mark Barron would be a horrible pick.

Manning and Quin are good enough to get it done.

I am ok with Konz.

I would be looking at Perry just because pass rushers are king in the 3-4.

I think that we assume that Briesel or Myers is leaving, that we can't trust Caldwell and make Konz official.

We can get a decent WR later.

JCTexan
03-06-2012, 07:58 PM
nevermind

Texan4Ever
03-06-2012, 07:58 PM

I am ok with Konz.

I think that we assume that Briesel or Myers is leaving, that we can't trust Caldwell and make Konz official.

I'm voting for Perry (no not that one). It never hurts to have a bunch of good pass-rushers.

Rey
03-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Pretty much comes down to whichever you think is a bigger need. If we lose Myers or Brisiel then OL is a bigger need than WR, in part because WR is deeper and a quality prospect could be acquired in the 2nd round.

If you believe we re-sign both OL guys then Randle should be the pick. If you think we don't then Konz should be the pick and take a WR in the 2nd.

That may be true if you like Konz...I don't, so I don't care what the bigger need is...I wouldn't take him..

I think Zeitler is a better interior lineman (but Konz has more versatility), but he's off the board already...

kiwitexansfan
03-06-2012, 08:00 PM
I think we have as much agreement as we're going to get here.

With the 26th pick the Houston Texans select...

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r114/knight7225/91863320_display_image.jpg

Peter Konz, OL, Wisconsin.

Not sure this would be a popular pick come draft day, even if we lose Myers and/or Briesel.

But you build from the inside out to win championships.

beerlover
03-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Not sure this would be a popular pick come draft day, even if we lose Myers and/or Briesel.

Konz warms the cackles on my neck.

Wolf6151
03-06-2012, 08:06 PM
I'd prefer Stephen Hill but I have no problem with Peter Konz as long as he can play OG as well.

Shaft75
03-06-2012, 08:13 PM
So how did we come to the conclusion of drafting Konz? Is there a head count or what?

I thought everyone was pretty mixed on this. Shouldn't every owner get a chance to bring their input before we make it official?

Rey
03-06-2012, 08:15 PM
So how did we come to the conclusion of drafting Konz? Is there a head count or what?

I thought everyone was pretty mixed on this. Shouldn't every owner get a chance to bring their input before we make it official?

Yes. Please.

kiwitexansfan
03-06-2012, 08:18 PM

A poll that stays open for 12 hours, all MB voters can vote?

Konz
Randle
Perry
Barron

as options....

WolverineFan
03-06-2012, 08:19 PM

Well come draft day Duane Brown and J.J. Watt were both booed by many Texans fans. OL picks are never the "sexy" choice but they are the most important unit on a roster IMO. If we lose Myers we need to add a talented guy in the middle to replace him.

Rey
03-06-2012, 08:20 PM

Konz
Randle
Perry
Barron

as options....

I think a mazimum of 10 options can be used...might as well use them all..

kiwitexansfan
03-06-2012, 08:20 PM
I think a mazimum of 10 options can be used...might as well use them all..

suggestions?

rmartin65
03-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Someone make a poll with the top couple names- Barron, Konz, Randle, Perry.

Shaft75
03-06-2012, 08:23 PM

Konz
Randle
Perry
Barron

as options....

Add in Hill and I'm good with that. You should start it up Kiwi.

Brandon420tx
03-06-2012, 08:26 PM
I'd rather a point system, top pick on 3 and they get 3 points, 2nd on 2 etc. Add up the points after 30 posts and the winner is the pick

For example my vote would be
3. Konz
2. Randle
1. Mercilus

Would need a new thread

Rey
03-06-2012, 08:31 PM
I'd rather a point system, top pick on 3 and they get 3 points, 2nd on 2 etc. Add up the points after 30 posts and the winner is the pick

For example my vote would be
3. Konz
2. Randle
1. Mercilus

Would need a new thread

Why is that better than a poll?

A poll is less work on the people doing it...

kiwitexansfan
03-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Poll incoming in 10, 9, 8, 7.................

Brandon420tx
03-06-2012, 08:34 PM
because I love votes like that, and it really shows popular opinion better. Most people have 2 people that they wishy-wash back and forth between anyway. Could go 1 and 2

kiwitexansfan
03-06-2012, 08:35 PM
because I love votes like that, and it really shows popular opinion better. Most people have 2 people that they wishy-wash back and forth between anyway. Could go 1 and 2

That is why in the poll you can pick more than one.

Brandon420tx
03-06-2012, 08:36 PM
That is why in the poll you can pick more than one.

Already did, I still like the point system, but whatev, it'll still work out like this, especially if we can limit it to 3 picks a person

Doppelganger
03-06-2012, 08:40 PM
I vote for Konz!

JCTexan
03-06-2012, 09:16 PM

I don't recall ever using a poll before, and I saw his name listed about ten times. I figured it was enough to make a consensus for the pick. It's how we've done it in the past with a group selection.

TexansSeminole
03-06-2012, 09:23 PM

I am ok with Konz.

For how long will Manning be good enough? He will be 30 years old this season.

Barron would be a fantastic pick as he could be a quality, quality backup SS and special teamer for now. We also have a formation in which we bring in another safety. We used Demps on alot of those packages during the year. Put Barron deep and have Quin play that inside cover position or vise versa. It gives us ALOT of versatility, especially with Quin being such a good nickel back. He could take over at SS when we get rid of Manning and Quin could play FS. Not that big of a transition for a guy like Quin to move from SS to FS.

Barron would be a fantastic pick IMO.

steelbtexan
03-06-2012, 09:41 PM
I'm against the Konz pick...I just watched some more clips of him and I'm not impressed...I'd much rather have Randle who looks like he will be a solid pro for years.

I really like Randle, he's my #1 WR.

But with Briesel probably leaving. Picking up the best C prospect that can also play OG would seem to be the way to go. Is there really that much difference between Randle and Marvin Jones or Jeffery in the 2/3rd rd?

Shaft75
03-06-2012, 10:36 PM
I don't recall ever using a poll before, and I saw his name listed about ten times. I figured it was enough to make a consensus for the pick. It's how we've done it in the past with a group selection.

This is different than the previous group picks. We're not picking in the 5th round for a vacated team. Since everyone picks for the Texans, we need to get everyone's input. A poll works best for that.

I like it this way. We all have a say and it's a consensus of all the fans participating.

bah007
03-06-2012, 11:59 PM
With the 26th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Houston Texans select:

Rueben Randle - WR, LSU

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Rueben+Randle+LSU+v+Auburn+_5Pym7pia7Yl.jpg

I was greatly tempted to take Nick Perry, the top talent left on the board here. But with the overwhelming need for an impact WR I was forced to take one here.

The choice came down to Randle or Stephen Hill. Despite Hill's higher potential ceiling I decided to go with Randle. I think he has a higher floor and the ability to be a bigger contributor at the beginning of his career.

Randle has good size and speed. He catches the ball with great hands instead of letting it come into his body. He runs great routes down the field. He may need some work on his underneath routes but I am confident that he has the skills and potential of a first round prospect.

Shaft75
03-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Hill has greater potential and better measurables than Randle. Big mistake by the Texans to pass him up for a player that is more "ready" for the job. Similar to taking KJ because he was also "ready" for the job.

WolverineFan
03-07-2012, 12:19 AM
Hill has greater potential and better measurables than Randle. Big mistake by the Texans to pass him up for a player that is more "ready" for the job. Similar to taking KJ because he was also "ready" for the job.

Potential and measureables mean nothing when it comes to production. I've been on board saying for weeks that Hill is a "project" pick and if we want to upgrade the WR position immediately then Randle would be the better choice.

Hill would be fighting Lestar Jean and Jacoby Jones for scraps of playing time while Randle would be splitting starting reps with Kevin Walter. Randle helps us win in 2012, Hill helps us win in 2014 (if he even pans out).

KJ may have been classified as the "more ready" player in 2010 but tell me, what CB taken after him has been better?

steelbtexan
03-07-2012, 12:19 AM

While I agree with you in theory and Hill may turn out to be the better pro. Randle isn't chopped liver. He will probably run in the 4.4's at his pro day. He will be a 10 yr starter barring injury. Randle compares to Reggie Wayne when he was coming out of college. IMHO

The only thing that held Randle back last yr was terrible QB play.

bah007
03-07-2012, 12:20 AM

I'm not ready to call KJ a great pick yet but I think he compares very favorably to Devin McCourty, Kyle Wilson, and Patrick Robinson (the guys who were drafted right behind him). KJ was thrown into the fire on one of the worst defenses in history. His growth between seasons one and two was pretty substantial. If he improves again this off season I wouldn't hesitate to say that most fans would see the pick as a success.

That really has nothing to do with this pick though. Apples to oranges.

I think Randle is a better player right now, and I think he will turn out to be the better player. Hill is considered to have better potential because he has better measurable, but I disagree. Hill is the better athlete, but I see Randle ending up as the better football player.

TexansSeminole
03-07-2012, 12:21 AM
I don't have a problem with the pick. Randle was always a big talent but didn't get a ton of opportunities in that LSU offense with horrible QB play. I can see him being a threat in the red zone, which is something that the Texans need desperately.

Next up:
27- Patriots- Beerlover
28- Packers-nytexan
29- Ravens- WolverineFan
30- 49ers- Rey
31- Patriots- Beerlover
32- Giants- KMG 365

kiwitexansfan
03-07-2012, 12:28 AM
For how long will Manning be good enough? He will be 30 years old this season.

Barron would be a fantastic pick as he could be a quality, quality backup SS and special teamer for now. We also have a formation in which we bring in another safety. We used Demps on alot of those packages during the year. Put Barron deep and have Quin play that inside cover position or vise versa. It gives us ALOT of versatility, especially with Quin being such a good nickel back. He could take over at SS when we get rid of Manning and Quin could play FS. Not that big of a transition for a guy like Quin to move from SS to FS.

Barron would be a fantastic pick IMO.

Barron is strictly an in the box safety, which we don't use, and is being phased out league wide because everyone is passing, passing, passing.

Putting Barron deep, is asking to get beat deep.

Dutchrudder
03-07-2012, 12:30 AM
On the clock:

27- Patriots- Beerlover
28- Packers-nytexan
29- Ravens- WolverineFan
30- 49ers- Rey
31- Patriots- Beerlover
32- Giants- KMG 365

Shaft75
03-07-2012, 12:31 AM
We're talking about two gifted athletes, so I get going either way. Both were standouts in college and did well at the combine. However, Hill stands out to me as a pretty damn good prospect. He ran a 4.36, his cone drill was like a 6.8 and vertical almost 40". He's an inch taller than Randle, about .2 seconds dater in the 40, jumps 9 inches higher. That's a pretty big advantage if you ask me. Hill's also a team player that excelled at his roll on a team that was based solely on the running game. The dude's almost a can't miss prospect and we have the chance to pick him up at the back end of the 1st round.

To me, Hill's a no brainer.

WolverineFan
03-07-2012, 12:31 AM
Barron is strictly an in the box safety, which we don't use, and is being phased out league wide because everyone is passing, passing, passing.

Agree. Many teams are starting to employ a dual FS type look with one true FS and one CB/FS type guy (think Manning & Quin). Really the only teams still utilizing true SS types are the smashmouth teams like Pitt, Baltimore, and SF.

Shaft75
03-07-2012, 12:33 AM

Completely agree on Barron. Give me an Earl Thomas/Ed Reed 1st round safety. We're not the Steelers or Ravens. We need dual safeties.(that comes from our defensive mastermind)

WolverineFan
03-07-2012, 12:36 AM
We're talking about two gifted athletes, so I get going either way. Both were standouts in college and did well at the combine. However, Hill stands out to me as a pretty damn good prospect. He ran a 4.36, his cone drill was like a 6.8 and vertical almost 40". He's an inch taller than Randle, about .2 seconds dater in the 40, jumps 9 inches higher. That's a pretty big advantage if you ask me. Hill's also a team player that excelled at his roll on a team that was based solely on the running game. The dude's almost a can't miss prospect and we have the chance to pick him up at the back end of the 1st round.

Please don't take this personally but...

1) In no way was Hill a standout in college, IMO.

2) You list only measureables when describing the ways in which Hill is better than Randle.

3) There is literally no way you could pop in college film of Hill and determine he's a can't miss prospect.

This is combine hype at its finest, IMO.

kiwitexansfan
03-07-2012, 12:37 AM

Hill can't/won't block.

Did I hear that somewhere?

bah007
03-07-2012, 12:38 AM

Well, here is where my draft philosophy differs from most. Pretty much everything you just mentioned there is about the combine. I don't put much stock into workouts in shorts and drills against air. I actually watch a lot of film and highlights for a guy who isn't getting paid, and that's what I judge my evaluations on. In football games, Randle is far and away the better player, period.

Before the combine, EVERYBODY had Randle rated higher. Then suddenly Hill goes from a late 2nd rounder to a 1st rounder? Not for me. I respect Hill and I think he is a hell of an athlete. But this guy is in for some major adjustments to the pro game.

To each their own, but I prefer Randle.

Shaft75
03-07-2012, 12:44 AM
Hill can't/won't block.

Did I hear that somewhere?

Hill's an excellent blocker.

TexansSeminole
03-07-2012, 12:44 AM

I don't see Barron as that type of player. I think he could be an every down safety that could be a game changer for years to come. He won't be the guy to man up against slot receivers, but he plays zone well and breaks on the football well when matched up with even or favorable match-ups. He is a solid run defender. 3 time All-SEC player coached by a great defensive backs coach in Nick Saban.

Barron is very good on short throws, much like Quin. When you can limit short throws to smaller gains, you take away alot of what teams do. He has 12 interceptions on his career and has proven to have an eye for the ball, so I don't know where this stigma of a one-trick pony comes from. Sure he isn't going to man up on receivers like an Ed Reed, but he is still a versatile player.

Agree. Many teams are starting to employ a dual FS type look with one true FS and one CB/FS type guy (think Manning & Quin). Really the only teams still utilizing true SS types are the smashmouth teams like Pitt, Baltimore, and SF.

You mean the #1, #3, and #4 defenses from last year?

kiwitexansfan
03-07-2012, 12:47 AM
Hill's an excellent blocker.

Weird, I read about one WR from a run first offense that won't block.

Any idea who that was.

bah007
03-07-2012, 12:53 AM
Weird, I read about one WR from a run first offense that won't block.

Any idea who that was.

There are a lot of opinions out there on Hill's blocking. Some people just assume that he can block because he played in an option offense.

Some scouts think he is a great blocker while others think that he should be better than he is because of his size.

I fall somewhere in the middle. I would say he is an above average blocker. He isn't Julio Jones but he gets the job done more often than not.

Rey
03-07-2012, 01:06 AM
I'm starting to warm up to the idea of taking barron in the first. He is very good at what he does. I don't see Barron as that type of player. I think he could be an every down safety that could be a game changer for years to come. He won't be the guy to man up against slot receivers, but he plays zone well and breaks on the football well when matched up with even or favorable match-ups. He is a solid run defender. 3 time All-SEC player coached by a great defensive backs coach in Nick Saban.

Barron is very good on short throws, much like Quin. When you can limit short throws to smaller gains, you take away alot of what teams do. He has 12 interceptions on his career and has proven to have an eye for the ball, so I don't know where this stigma of a one-trick pony comes from. Sure he isn't going to man up on receivers like an Ed Reed, but he is still a versatile player.

You mean the #1, #3, and #4 defenses from last year?

Wolf6151
03-07-2012, 02:12 AM

I agree completely. Barron is the wrong type of Safety for the Texans. He's a old school SS that plays the run well in the box but is very limited in pass coverage. The NFL as a whole is slowly getting away from this type of Safety due to the modern pass happy offenses. He's Bernard Pollard vol. 2. Barron would be a terrible pick for the Texans. No reason to take a bench warmer in the 1st round.

Wolf6151
03-07-2012, 02:18 AM

Completely agree here as well. Hill is more athletic, graceful, smoother, faster, etc... Randle doesn't impress me, he's good but not great. Hill is good with potential to be great.

Blake
03-07-2012, 07:03 AM

Rueben Randle - WR, LSU

The choice came down to Randle or Stephen Hill. Despite Hill's higher potential ceiling I decided to go with Randle. I think he has a higher floor and the ability to be a bigger contributor at the beginning of his career.

Randle has good size and speed. He catches the ball with great hands instead of letting it come into his body. He runs great routes down the field. He may need some work on his underneath routes but I am confident that he has the skills and potential of a first round prospect.

While I am happy with Bah picking for the Texans, I am a little disappointed that y'all (I use y'all loosely) basically rushed through the Texans pick (mostly in the evening hours when a lot of members aren't active) so fast that several participating members including myself didnt even get to weigh in.

srrono
03-07-2012, 07:14 AM
What happened?

First it was Konz then it was going to be a poll. Then I wake up to Rueben Randle as the pick. ????

Dutchrudder
03-07-2012, 08:02 AM
While I am happy with Bah picking for the Texans, I am a little disappointed that y'all (I use y'all loosely) basically rushed through the Texans pick (mostly in the evening hours when a lot of members aren't active) so fast that several participating members including myself didnt even get to weigh in.

As of right now, there are 53 votes in that poll. We currently have 30 team owners. I don't know about you, but I would rather keep any voting limited to those who are participating in the draft itself. We also didn't really have any set way of doing the poll, it was just thrown out there by Kiwi. Probably could be executed much better than what we were doing :)

Since Bah007 is taking over the Texans picks, I suggest we still do a poll for each Texans' pick just to see what people think about the available players. Just make it public so that we can see how everyone is voting.

beerlover
03-07-2012, 08:20 AM
BelliBeer, with the 27th pick in the Texans Talk Members Only Mock Draft, select Nick Perry, DE/OLB, USC, 6-3 271. Considered a top 15 pick he is value added along with elite pass rush skills Pats severely need to address. Possess this drafts best combination of speed 4.64 vertical 38 1/2 & bench 35 not to mention 9.5 sacks his Junior season playing the elephant position which translates forward as a 3-4 OLB. Reminds me more of DeMarcus Ware than Aldon Smith but should be a similar weapon to add into Patriots family.

TexansSeminole
03-07-2012, 08:35 AM
I agree completely. Barron is the wrong type of Safety for the Texans. He's a old school SS that plays the run well in the box but is very limited in pass coverage. The NFL as a whole is slowly getting away from this type of Safety due to the modern pass happy offenses. He's Bernard Pollard vol. 2. Barron would be a terrible pick for the Texans. No reason to take a bench warmer in the 1st round.

I'd like to hear how yall have come to the conclusion that Barron is lacking in pass coverage.

I say that he isn't the type to man-up on slot receivers, but at Alabama he manned up against slot receivers and backs ALL the time. He did it pretty successfully, and the only reason I say he may struggle with it in the NFL is a lack of elite speed and hip flexion. All indications, however, show that he has been able to do it. I have seen nothing in Barron's game that would suggest that he is limited or poor in pass coverage. The kid made plays on the ball playing centerfield, shallow zones, and in man coverage on receivers/backs.

To suggest that he is a dinosaur of a safety would suggest that he doesn't have much value period, much less in the first round. That's not what I am seeing from every single website that evaluates him.

Whoever gets that guy is going to have a very well rounded player for years to come. Looks like he will not be able to work out at his Pro Day today, along with Richardson, due to the injury.

Texan4Ever
03-07-2012, 08:37 AM

Rueben Randle - WR, LSU

I was greatly tempted to take Nick Perry, the top talent left on the board here. But with the overwhelming need for an impact WR I was forced to take one here.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! He's going to be the next Craig "Buster" Davis--failed WR from LSU. (Ok, I'm just joking but for the Texans I would've gone with Nick Perry).

Dutchrudder
03-07-2012, 08:45 AM
28- Packers-nytexan
29- Ravens- WolverineFan
30- 49ers- Rey
31- Patriots- Beerlover
32- Giants- KMG 365

Guys, please PM or email the next person when you make your pick, and note at the bottom of your post that you have done so. It's easy to edit your post to add it if you forget to do it, but it cuts down on the work SM and I have to do with contacting everyone to remind them to pick. Also, putting something like: "NYTexan and the Packers are on the clock!" at the end of your post helps keep things rolling. Feel free to post the next 5 teams as well.

WolverineFan
03-07-2012, 09:42 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! He's going to be the next Craig "Buster" Davis--failed WR from LSU. (Ok, I'm just joking but for the Texans I would've gone with Nick Perry).

I know you're joking, but I'll use this opportunity to say that Randle reminds me a lot of Dwayne Bowe. He's not as physically talented as Bowe, but then Bowe is one of the top WR's in the league right now.

Both were highly rated recruits and both contributed early in their careers at LSU. Similar size, with Bowe being a bit heavier and Randle being taller, and similar measureables.

Bowe had a better statistical career although he benefited from better QB play and a more efficient passing attack while he was at LSU, but Randle was one of the top WR's in the SEC the past 2 years despite the QB problems.

beerlover
03-07-2012, 09:43 AM

Rueben Randle - WR, LSU

Solid pick. I think you nailed the position, we'll have to see about the player? I would have taken Hill.

Texan4Ever
03-07-2012, 10:21 AM
I know you're joking, but I'll use this opportunity to say that Randle reminds me a lot of Dwayne Bowe. He's not as physically talented as Bowe, but then Bowe is one of the top WR's in the league right now.

Both were highly rated recruits and both contributed early in their careers at LSU. Similar size, with Bowe being a bit heavier and Randle being taller, and similar measureables.

Bowe had a better statistical career although he benefited from better QB play and a more efficient passing attack while he was at LSU, but Randle was one of the top WR's in the SEC the past 2 years despite the QB problems.

Ok, I think I should give him the benefit of the doubt. I forgot about the quarterback problems that LSU has had with Jefferson and Co.

WolverineFan
03-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Ok, I think I should give him the benefit of the doubt. I forgot about the quarterback problems that LSU has had with Jefferson and Co.

Doesn't mean I'm right and you're wrong. Perry is a beast and would be BPA whereas Randle is hitting a need. Just depends on your drafting philosophy. I prefer hitting needs and Randle does that. I see Perry as a luxury since Barwin and Reed both played well last year.

My drafting philosophy is to always keep the status quo and to then improve your team. Case in point, if we lose Myers or Brisiel then I would be in favor of an G/C in the 1st to keep the status quo and then a WR in the 2nd to improve the team.

bah007
03-07-2012, 10:58 AM
As I acknowledged when I made the pick, I really wanted to take Perry. He was the best player left.

But I am much more confident in Barwin/Reed than I am in our situation at WR. Despite Perry's immense talent, I simply couldn't pass on Randle.

steelbtexan
03-07-2012, 11:12 AM
As I acknowledged when I made the pick, I really wanted to take Perry. He was the best player left.

But I am much more confident in Barwin/Reed than I am in our situation at WR. Despite Perry's immense talent, I simply couldn't pass on Randle.

As it should be

Especially when you can draft a Curry/Cam Johnson/Irvin in Rd 2-3.

HOU-TEX
03-07-2012, 11:33 AM

What about our depth at OLB. We've got nothing behind Barwin and Reed. Yes, we do need to start looking for WRs, but BPA would be Perry.

I'd go with Perry, but that's just me.

bah007
03-07-2012, 12:20 PM
What about our depth at OLB. We've got nothing behind Barwin and Reed. Yes, we do need to start looking for WRs, but BPA would be Perry.

I'd go with Perry, but that's just me.

I will definitely be targeting OLB depth in the next few rounds.

kiwitexansfan
03-07-2012, 12:45 PM
I hate the fact Perry went to the Patriots.

Rey
03-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Who's pick is it?

Blake
03-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Packers nytexan
Ravens WolverineFan
49ers Rey
Patriots Beerlover
Giants KMG 365

nytexan
03-07-2012, 02:38 PM
The Green Bay Packers take with the 28th pick take Andre Branch from Clemson University

Señor Stan
03-07-2012, 03:22 PM
I hate the fact Perry went to the Patriots.

Look on the bright side...in last year's mock draft the Patriots drafted JJ Watt AND Brooks Reed. So maybe history repeats itself...

Dutchrudder
03-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Look on the bright side...in last year's mock draft the Patriots drafted JJ Watt AND Brooks Reed. So maybe history repeats itself...

Link to last year's results:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80277

Fun to look back and see where guys went.

beerlover
03-07-2012, 03:30 PM

So, in reality I could be making the Texans picks?

WolverineFan
03-07-2012, 03:36 PM
With the 29th pick the the mock draft the Baltimore Ravens select.....

Peter Konz - C, Wisconsin

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CaVRXhRYP8g/Tx3wKkEsxzI/AAAAAAAACJU/1d7_yMCP71I/s1600/Konz.JPG

Konz is not the most talented guy still left on my board, but he definitely fits the biggest need for Baltimore. The Ravens have a huge need on the interior line at LG and C. Ben Grubbs is a free agent and will be leaving for a big contract elsewhere, which leaves a huge hole at LG. At Center, Matt Birk and Andre Gurode are both free agents although I expect the Ravens to retain Gurode.

Gurode played decent at C last year, but really struggled when pressed into duty as an OG. With this in mind I aimed to fix the hole at OG instead of C and selected, what I believe to be, the most talented interior O-Lineman left on the board to plug that hole. What put me over the top on the selection is Konz's versatility to play either G or C.

I see Konz sliding in at the LG position as a rookie and competing for the starting job next year with 2nd year player Justin Boren. I do see him as the Center of the future though and eventually I expect Konz to move to Center as Gurode is phased out of the offense.

Rey
03-07-2012, 03:52 PM
With the 30th pick in the draft the San Fran Gold Heads selct:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/687/283/130776333_display_image.jpg?1324051907

Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech

He'll be trading in one gold helmet for another.

Adding another weapon to this offense will help pay dividends down the road. Hopefully he can be the deep threat that they wanted Teddy Ginn to be. He will likely not be ready for a starting role from day 1, but he should be able to provide more exploxsive plays to this offense throughout the course of the season. In the future, he and Crabtree could form a dynamic duo.

krocket
03-07-2012, 05:08 PM
With the 30th pick in the draft the San Fran Gold Heads selct:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/687/283/130776333_display_image.jpg?1324051907

Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech.....

Sorry, but I think we took him at 26

Rey
03-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Sorry, but I think we took him at 26

Didn't the Texans take Rueben Randle?

Edit: I just checked...you are incorrect...

NO MORE SOUP FOR U!!!!

Dutchrudder
03-07-2012, 05:13 PM

Yes. Gave the team to Bah007 to run instead of doing the never ending poll.

Honoring Earl 34
03-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Yes. Gave the team to Bah007 to run instead of doing the never ending poll.

I vote for Tannehill

beerlover
03-07-2012, 05:29 PM
It's good to be Bellibeer! With 31st pick, New England Patriots select a stud 5-tech DE out of University of Connecticut, Kendall Reyes. 6-4 300 lbs. Ran a 4.79 forty, 36 reps & 34.5 vertical @ the combine. Bellibeer is addressing front seven with two starting caliber defensive studs who will provide much improved Patriot pass rush.

KMG 365
03-07-2012, 05:37 PM
With the 32nd pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Super Bowl Champion New York Giants select...

Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford

Two of the Giants tight ends went out with ACLs. Because the injuries happened in February, they may not be ready for the start of the season. Fleener is a big-bodied TE that gives the Giants flexibility, ala the Patriots with Gronkowski.

Dutchrudder
03-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Well, that concludes round 1. St. Louis is on the clock!

Round 2

St. Louis (2-14) pbat488
Indianapolis (2-14) Doppelganger
Minnesota (3-13) Section516
Tampa Bay (4-12) TexansSeminole
Cleveland (4-12) Dutchrudder
Jacksonville (5-11) Hou-Tex
Washington (5-11) Aussie Texan
Carolina (6-10) Timekiller
Buffalo (6-10) Texan4Ever
Miami (6-10) RMartin65
Seattle (7-9) Ndevine7
Kansas City (7-9) Honoring Earl 34
Dallas (8-8) SteelBTexan
Philadelphia (8-8) Shaft75
New York Jets (8-8) kiwitexansfan
New England (8-8) Beerlover
San Diego (8-8) Srrono
Chicago (8-8) MistaRed
Tennessee (9-7) Señor Stan
Cincinnati* (9-7) Kaiser Toro
Detroit* (10-6) Super Mario
Atlanta* (10-6)
Pittsburgh* (12-4) Stingray
Denver* (8-8) JCTexan
Houston* (10-6) Bah007
New Orleans* (13-3) RT22
Green Bay* (15-1) nytexan
Baltimore* (12-4) WolverineFan
San Francisco* (13-3) Rey
New England* (13-3) beerlover
New York Giants* (9-7) KMG 365

I PM'd Pbatt.

Dutchrudder
03-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Just want to reiterate this, it's for everyone's benefit so this doesn't last until the actual draft. Also, make sure your profile is set to an email that you use often.

One other thing that can help speed up this process is to enable email from other members on your profile. To enable it, go to "User CP", then click "Edit Options" on the side and make sure you have the box checked for "Receive Email from Other Members". I may use that to notify people when they have it enabled.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/Sports/usercp.jpg

Please, add to the end of your post where you make a pick, who the next team is, who the owner is, and say if you PM or email them to notify them of the pick. We have 200 more selections to go, and it will take forever if we can't track people down.

Doppelganger
03-07-2012, 05:56 PM
It's good to be Bellibeer! With 31st pick, New England Patriots select a stud 5-tech DE out of University of Connecticut, Kendall Reyes. 6-4 300 lbs. Ran a 4.79 forty, 36 reps & 34.5 vertical @ the combine. Bellibeer is addressing front seven with two starting caliber defensive studs who will provide much improved Patriot pass rush.

Jeez. Evil England gets Perry AND Reyes. That's almost unfair!!!

WolverineFan
03-07-2012, 06:27 PM

Aren't the Pats running a 4-3 now?

I mean, either way both guys fit into the defense (Perry at RE and Reyes at 3'), but I just wanted to clarify.

Doppelganger
03-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Aren't the Pats running a 4-3 now?

I mean, either way both guys fit into the defense (Perry at RE and Reyes at 3'), but I just wanted to clarify.

From what I have seen they play a hybrid 3-4/4-3 based on matchups and downs.

aussie_texan
03-07-2012, 06:39 PM
love the reyes pick his going to be a stud.

aussie_texan
03-07-2012, 06:39 PM
dare i say it the pats may be actually drafting well this year

Doppelganger
03-07-2012, 06:46 PM
dare i say it the pats may be actually drafting players this year

Fixed it for you :)

WolverineFan
03-07-2012, 07:10 PM
From what I have seen they play a hybrid 3-4/4-3 based on matchups and downs.

That makes sense. I'm dealing with the same thing drafting for Baltimore.

Doppelganger
03-07-2012, 08:46 PM

Rueben Randle - WR, LSU

I understand why you made the pick, but I disagree. I think Randle is overrated and is only this high on many boards becuase the Texans need a WR. To me, he is a late second round talent, not a late first rounder.

Now, I know a lot of people here really like him, but I am wary. His 40 time is slower than expected. But, moreso, he really didn't stand out positively at LSU this year. He had a solid season, but does solid warrant 1st round pick?

I know he didn't have a great QB, but i expect more of a first round pick. My biggest concern is that he played against Dre Kirpatrick and the Alabama Defense twice this year. In each game he was held without a catch. Kirkpatrick is a quality Pro Prospect, but he is not Revis. Kirpatrick is a solid cornerback, the kind of player he will face every week in the NFL. In addition, like I said, the guy played against Dre Kirpatrick a second time. You would think with additional film and time to work, he could have gotten at least one catch, in the second game but he didn't. It is almost like he didn't learn a single thing from his first matchup.

The NFL is all about adjustments. Failing to make a catch suggests to me he did not make enough adjustments between the two games. How many top receivers in the NFL have been shutout by the same cornerback twice in the same season? Not too many.

I don't see Randle as a first rounder and would prefer a player who has shown more for the Texans pick, but that, of course, is merely my opinion.

Wolf6151
03-07-2012, 08:51 PM
I understand why you made the pick, but I disagree. I think Randle is overrated and is only this high on many boards becuase the Texans need a WR. To me, he is a late second round talent, not a late first rounder.

Now, I know a lot of people here really like him, but I am wary. His 40 time is slower than expected. But, moreso, he really didn't stand out positively at LSU this year. He had a solid season, but does solid warrant 1st round pick?

I know he didn't have a great QB, but i expect more of a first round pick. My biggest concern is that he played against Dre Kirpatrick and the Alabama Defense twice this year. In each game he was held without a catch. Kirkpatrick is a quality Pro Prospect, but he is not Revis. Kirpatrick is a solid cornerback, the kind of player he will face every week in the NFL. In addition, like I said, the guy played against Dre Kirpatrick a second time. You would think with additional film and time to work, he could have gotten at least one catch, in the second game but he didn't. It is almost like he didn't learn a single thing from his first matchup.

The NFL is all about adjustments. Failing to make a catch suggests to me he did not make enough adjustments between the two games. How many top receivers in the NFL have been shutout by the same cornerback twice in the same season? Not too many.

I don't see Randle as a first rounder and would prefer a player who has shown more for the Texans pick, but that, of course, is merely my opinion.

DG, you ain't alone, those opinions are shared by many here.

rmartin65
03-07-2012, 08:53 PM

DG, you ain't alone, those opinions are shared by many here.

Yep. You did a heck of a job explaining it though. Rep to you good Sir.

EDIT- MSR, I'll get ya' later

JCTexan
03-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Yep. You did a heck of a job explaining it though. Rep to you good Sir.

EDIT- MSR, I'll get ya' later

I got him for you.

WolverineFan
03-07-2012, 09:08 PM

Not entirely accurate. Randle caught 5 passes in the two games against Alabama, which might still look bad to the observer. However, LSU QB's only completed 20 passes in the two games combined and only 14 of those were to WR's. Of those 14, 4-5 were screens to their two slot guys (Beckham Jr. and Shepard). So Randle caught 5 of the 10 or so non-screen completions to wideouts in the 2 games.

You can blame the LSU passing game (mainly Jordan Jefferson) for his lack of statistical prowess this year. He was fairly productive while Jarrett Lee was the QB and then Les Miles inexplicably pulled the kid in favor of Jefferson and gave him about 5 snaps total in the last 7-8 games.

Randle actually caught 53 passes for 917 yds and 8 td's, which surprised the hell out of me because the LSU passing game was horrid this year, ranked #110 or something like that (and they aren't an option team). He also had all 4 of LSU's 100+ yd receiving games this year.

bah007
03-07-2012, 09:32 PM

The NFL is all about adjustments. Failing to make a catch suggests to me he did not make enough adjustments between the two games. How many top receivers in the NFL have been shutout by the same cornerback twice in the same season? Not too many....

Everyone is entitled to their opinion about the pick. And honestly, y'all can blast me if you want to. You don't have to be nice about it. I wouldn't have volunteered to take over the team if I couldn't handle it.

As I stated before, at this spot in the draft any WR would have been a slight reach. And I had Perry rated as the highest player still on the board. I wanted Perry pretty bad but I just couldn't pass on Randle, who I see as an impact player at WR.

Considering the QB play at LSU, I would say that Randle was better than just solid this year. It is hard for a skill player to stand out when the QB can't put the ball in his hands. Randle did manage to account for over 40% of his team's receiving total (about the same rate as Hill).

Randle did manage 5 catches in his two matchups against Kirkpatrick. Not impressive by any stretch but he wasn't exactly shutout. Furthermore, bashing Randle for his performance against Alabama seems silly. Alabama was far and away the best defense in the entire country. And it's not close at all. How many NFL players do they have on that defense? And how many does LSU have on their offense? But the only matchup that matters is Randle vs Kirkpatrick? Did you watch the games? LSU's offensive line was over matched from the word go. And their QBs were even worse. What is Randle supposed to do? Line up at QB and throw the ball to himself?

Here is how Hill did against his top competition:
1 catch against David Amerson (North Carolina St)
0 catches against Chase Minnifield (Virginia)
1 catch against Brandon McGee (Miami)
2 catches against Jayron Hosley (Virginia Tech)

Not exactly a world beater. And don't even bother comparing the offensive styles. LSU only averaged 10 passing yards more per game. The difference is Georgia Tech's passing game was supported by a MUCH better rushing attack, thus taking pressure off of the QB and WRs.

I don't have a problem with this statement. The problem I have is that most of the people spouting this support Hill for the pick, and he showed even less in his college career than Randle did.

Doppelganger
03-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Not entirely accurate. Randle caught 5 passes in the two games against Alabama, which might still look bad to the observer. However, LSU QB's only completed 20 passes in the two games combined and only 14 of those were to WR's. Of those 14, 4-5 were screens to their two slot guys (Beckham Jr. and Shepard). So Randle caught 5 of the 10 or so non-screen completions to wideouts in the 2 games.

You can blame the LSU passing game (mainly Jordan Jefferson) for his lack of statistical prowess this year. He was fairly productive while Jarrett Lee was the QB and then Les Miles inexplicably pulled the kid in favor of Jefferson and gave him about 5 snaps total in the last 7-8 games.

Randle actually caught 53 passes for 917 yds and 8 td's, which surprised the hell out of me because the LSU passing game was horrid this year, ranked #110 or something like that (and they aren't an option team). He also had all 4 of LSU's 100+ yd receiving games this year.

You were correct. I had a brain fart. He did have 4 100+ games this year.

But he also had 3 games where he had a single catch (Oregon, Kentucky, and Ole Miss). He also had 2, 2 catch games (Bama and Georgia). In big game scenarios he came up awfully small. 5 catches for a 32 yards in 2 games against Bama and 2 for 15 yards in the SEC championship game.

He played 6 Top 25 teams: Oregon, West Virginia, Kentucky, Auburn, Bama, and Georgia.

Here are his stats:
Oregon: 1 catches, 10 yards, 1 td
West Virginia: 6 catches, 53 yards, 1 td
Kentucky: 1 catch, 37 yards, 0 tds
Bama: 2 catches 19 yards, 0 tds
Auburn: 5 catches, 106 yards, 2 tds
Georgia: 2 catches 15 yards, 0 tds
Bama: 3 catches 13 yards.

Outside of the Auburn game he put up numbers against non Top 25 teams. He was wildly inconsistent in his play. Some of it due to the QB, sure, but a first round WR should be more consistent. When the spotlight of the big games came, he disappeared.

There is no consistency to his game. He has a lot of talent and upside, but for a first rounder I want to see more production. Thus, I don't rate him as a first round talent, but as a late second.

Honoring Earl 34
03-07-2012, 09:51 PM
You were correct. I had a brain fart. He did have 4 100+ games this year.

But he also had 3 games where he had a single catch (Oregon, Kentucky, and Ole Miss). He also had 2, 2 catch games (Bama and Georgia). In big game scenarios he came up awfully small. 5 catches for a 32 yards in 2 games against Bama and 2 for 15 yards in the SEC championship game.

He played 6 Top 25 teams: Oregon, West Virginia, Kentucky, Auburn, Bama, and Georgia.

Here are his stats:
Oregon: 1 catches, 10 yards, 1 td
West Virginia: 6 catches, 53 yards, 1 td
Kentucky: 1 catch, 37 yards, 0 tds
Bama: 2 catches 19 yards, 0 tds
Auburn: 5 catches, 106 yards, 2 tds
Georgia: 2 catches 15 yards, 0 tds
Bama: 3 catches 13 yards.

Outside of the Auburn game he put up numbers against non Top 25 teams. He was wildly inconsistent in his play. Some of it due to the QB, sure, but a first round WR should be more consistent. When the spotlight of the big games came, he disappeared.

There is no consistency to his game. He has a lot of talent and upside, but for a first rounder I want to see more production. Thus, I don't rate him as a first round talent, but as a late second.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/participants

Opinions are us .

bah007
03-07-2012, 09:54 PM
And if you really want to delve into statistics, for all the credit Hill gets for the numbers he put up in that offense, he really did most of his damage in two games.

Against Western Carolina and Middle Tennessee he totaled 7 catches for 307 yards and 3 TDs.

In his other 11 games, all against BCS teams. He had a whopping 21 catches for 513 yards and 2 TDs.

I just don't understand why Hill gets a free pass. Randle was a more complete and productive player. He is more pro ready. He has a good size and speed combination. But Hill ran a 4.36 so all of that is moot apparently...

Doppelganger
03-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion about the pick. And honestly, y'all can blast me if you want to. You don't have to be nice about it. I wouldn't have volunteered to take over the team if I couldn't handle it.

As I stated before, at this spot in the draft any WR would have been a slight reach. And I had Perry rated as the highest player still on the board. I wanted Perry pretty bad but I just couldn't pass on Randle, who I see as an impact player at WR.

Considering the QB play at LSU, I would say that Randle was better than just solid this year. It is hard for a skill player to stand out when the QB can't put the ball in his hands. Randle did manage to account for over 40% of his team's receiving total (about the same rate as Hill).

Randle did manage 5 catches in his two matchups against Kirkpatrick. Not impressive by any stretch but he wasn't exactly shutout. Furthermore, bashing Randle for his performance against Alabama seems silly. Alabama was far and away the best defense in the entire country. And it's not close at all. How many NFL players do they have on that defense? And how many does LSU have on their offense? But the only matchup that matters is Randle vs Kirkpatrick? Did you watch the games? LSU's offensive line was over matched from the word go. And their QBs were even worse. What is Randle supposed to do? Line up at QB and throw the ball to himself?

Not exactly a world beater. And don't even bother comparing the offensive styles. LSU only averaged 10 passing yards more per game. The difference is Georgia Tech's passing game was supported by a MUCH better rushing attack, thus taking pressure off of the QB and WRs.

I don't have a problem with this statement. The problem I have is that most of the people spouting this support Hill for the pick, and he showed even less in his college career than Randle did.

I hear you, please read my previous post where I breakdown Randle against top 25 competition.

Randle reminds me of Limas Sweed. Like Sweed, Randle had tons of talent and upside. He had iffy speed. He played great against lesser competition and was inconsistent against the top schools in college. He went mid to late 2nd round and never panned out.

Doppelganger
03-07-2012, 10:01 PM
And if you really want to delve into statistics, for all the credit Hill gets for the numbers he put up in that offense, he really did most of his damage in two games.

Against Western Carolina and Middle Tennessee he totaled 7 catches for 307 yards and 3 TDs.

In his other 11 games, all against BCS teams. He had a whopping 21 catches for 513 yards and 2 TDs.

I just don't understand why Hill gets a free pass. Randle was a more complete and productive player. He is more pro ready. He has a good size and speed combination. But Hill ran a 4.36 so all of that is moot apparently...

I have not addressed Hill in any of my posts. Not sure why you brought him up, but yeah, I wouldn't draft Hill in the first either for most of the same reasons.

bah007
03-07-2012, 10:05 PM
I have not addressed Hill in any of my posts. Not sure why you brought him up, but yeah, I wouldn't draft Hill in the first either for most of the same reasons.

I must have mistaken you for another poster. I thought you had showed support for picking Hill earlier. My mistake.

Most of the critique about the pick seems to be that I should have taken Hill instead of Randle. that is why I have been comparing the two.

Honoring Earl 34
03-07-2012, 10:07 PM
I must have mistaken you for another poster. I thought you had showed support for picking Hill earlier. My mistake.

Most of the critique about the pick seems to be that I should have taken Hill instead of Randle. that is why I have been comparing the two.

I think you compare

1. Randle
2. Konz
3. Perry

bah007
03-07-2012, 10:11 PM
I think you compare

1. Randle
2. Konz
3. Perry

I didn't really consider Konz because I think we bring back Myers.

As I have said numerous times, I love Perry but decided to go with Randle. Perry is the better player, but I seem to have Randle rated higher than most. I think he is a solid #2 option who just needs a little bit of work on his underneath routes.

I am comfortable enough with Barwin and Reed that I decided to pass on Perry and take an OLB later in the draft for depth.

Honoring Earl 34
03-07-2012, 10:16 PM
I didn't really consider Konz because I think we bring back Myers.

As I have said numerous times, I love Perry but decided to go with Randle. Perry is the better player, but I seem to have Randle rated higher than most. I think he is a solid #2 option who just needs a little bit of work on his underneath routes.

I am comfortable enough with Barwin and Reed that I decided to pass on Perry and take an OLB later in the draft for depth.

You will not win drafting for the Texans .

bah007
03-07-2012, 10:19 PM

How so?

Honoring Earl 34
03-07-2012, 10:22 PM
How so?

Cause you won't make everybody happy . Last year the guy took a CB then a safety and got hammered .

Shaft75
03-07-2012, 10:23 PM

I wanted Melvin Ingram and should neg rep Bah for not making it happen. But I know that he had Randle ranked ahead of him and Luck/RG3 at the top of his board.

/sarcasm

Honoring Earl 34
03-07-2012, 10:26 PM
I wanted Melvin Ingram and should neg rep Bah for not making it happen. But I know that he had Randle ranked ahead of him and Luck/RG3 at the top of his board.

/sarcasm

So you'd do a Ricky Williams deal ?

Shaft75
03-07-2012, 10:28 PM
I don't know if it's SuperMario or Dutchrudder entering the picks into the selection thread, but I have a request.

Is there any way that you could put the owner's name beside each pick so we can keep track with who made the selection? If it's a pain in the arse, don't worry about it. Just a suggestion.

Shaft75
03-07-2012, 10:29 PM
So you'd do a Ricky Williams deal ?

I don't smoke ganja.

Shaft75
03-07-2012, 10:38 PM
Who's up? And can someone post the 2nd round order? (hard to search on my phone)

Dutchrudder
03-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Round 2

St. Louis (2-14) pbat488
Indianapolis (2-14) Doppelganger
Minnesota (3-13) Section516
Tampa Bay (4-12) TexansSeminole
Cleveland (4-12) Dutchrudder
Jacksonville (5-11) Hou-Tex
Washington (5-11) Aussie Texan
Carolina (6-10) Timekiller
Buffalo (6-10) Texan4Ever
Miami (6-10) RMartin65
Seattle (7-9) Ndevine7
Kansas City (7-9) Honoring Earl 34
Dallas (8-8) SteelBTexan
New York Jets (8-8) kiwitexansfan
New England (8-8) Beerlover
San Diego (8-8) Srrono
Chicago (8-8) MistaRed
Tennessee (9-7) Señor Stan
Cincinnati* (9-7) Kaiser Toro
Detroit* (10-6) Super Mario
Atlanta* (10-6)
Pittsburgh* (12-4) Stingray
Denver* (8-8) JCTexan
Houston* (10-6) Bah007
New Orleans* (13-3) RT22
Green Bay* (15-1) nytexan
Baltimore* (12-4) WolverineFan
San Francisco* (13-3) Rey
New England* (13-3) beerlover
New York Giants* (9-7) KMG 365

kiwitexansfan
03-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Anyone surprised by a player not getting drafted in the first?

Looking for 3 Huskers to get drafted this round... you better not let me down :kitten:

Dutchrudder
03-07-2012, 11:21 PM
Anyone surprised by a player not getting drafted in the first?

Looking for 3 Huskers to get drafted this round... you better not let me down :kitten:

I'm surprised no one took a chance on Ryan Tannehill. Thought someone might. Maybe Pbatt will, he's an Aggie... :D

There are 4 picks before the next one for the Browns. I have one guy that I'm really hoping makes it to me, but all 4 teams ahead of me could use him too...

kiwitexansfan
03-07-2012, 11:25 PM
I'm starting to have some buyers remorse with Trent Richardson.

He was too talented to pass up considering there is a need there but the Jets have so many defensive holes that need plugging....

krocket
03-07-2012, 11:34 PM

Edit: I just checked...you are incorrect...

NO MORE SOUP FOR U!!!!

I changed the draft based on new information from his pro day today.

bah007
03-08-2012, 12:02 AM

Oh well. My feelings aren't gonna get hurt when people disagree. I actually enjoy the debating back and forth.

steelbtexan
03-08-2012, 12:11 AM

You dont have to defend your pick.

Randle will be good, solid 10 yr starter. < Jordan Jefferson

Hill is a combine guy, who has the potential to be the best WR in this draft (His ceiling) Or Jacoby Jones (his floor) Give me the most pro ready WR with the least bust potential. I must be getting old. Or the Jacoby Jones project has jaded me. LOL

Personally I would've taken Kontz in the 1st and Marvin Jones in the 3rd. But I'm all on board the Rueben Randle train.

Great pick

steelbtexan
03-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Where can I get pro days info?

76Texan
03-08-2012, 01:22 AM
Where can I get pro days info?

walterfootball.com is one place.

76Texan
03-08-2012, 01:34 AM

I have yet to study Randle, and I don't want to criticize any pick either.

Just thought I throw out a couple of numbers since they were brought up:
Against a common opponent (Georgia), Randle had 2 catches for 15, Hill had 3 for 78.

No matter how bad the combination of QB at LSU were, they can't compare with Washington at Ga Tech.

If you read the Stephen Hill's thread, you can see that his lack of production had nothing to do with him or any CB defending him. It was all about poor QB play and/or pressure from the defense.

Wolf6151
03-08-2012, 03:04 AM
Dutchrudder, I sent you a PM about getting back into this mock. I'll take the Atlanta Falcons if no one else has already spoken up for them.

pbat488
03-08-2012, 03:46 AM
after an extremely brisk first round, the st. louis rams take a step back to see where the chips have fallen. after surveying the damage, they decide to select:

zach brown, wlb, north carolina

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/800/171/Zach-Brown-UNC-elite-linebacker-trophy-Zach.FBjmu512_display_image.jpg?1326584840

after hoping one of the better WR's slips through the cracks, the rams decide to go in a different direction and select zach brown out of unc. one of the many nfl talents of the past couple of years from the unc defense, he fits directly into a weak LB corps and helps solidify one of the weaker personnel groupings on the rams roster.

Blake
03-08-2012, 08:21 AM
Dutchrudder, I sent you a PM about getting back into this mock. I'll take the Atlanta Falcons if no one else has already spoken up for them.

I added you back as the Falcons GM. The only team without a GM is the Raiders.

Blake
03-08-2012, 08:38 AM

So Dopp, who would you have taken for the Texans?

steelbtexan
03-08-2012, 09:04 AM
after an extremely brisk first round, the st. louis rams take a step back to see where the chips have fallen. after surveying the damage, they decide to select:

zach brown, wlb, north carolina

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/800/171/Zach-Brown-UNC-elite-linebacker-trophy-Zach.FBjmu512_display_image.jpg?1326584840

after hoping one of the better WR's slips through the cracks, the rams decide to go in a different direction and select zach brown out of unc. one of the many nfl talents of the past couple of years from the unc defense, he fits directly into a weak LB corps and helps solidify one of the weaker personnel groupings on the rams roster.

This is the 1st pick that doesn't fill the #1 need for a team. (True BPA)

Great pick, Brown has top 10 talent.

Doppelganger
03-08-2012, 09:06 AM
So Dopp, who would you have taken for the Texans?

Konz.

Blake
03-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Konz.

Is this assuming Myers and or Brisel are gone?

Doppelganger
03-08-2012, 09:19 AM
Is this assuming Myers and or Brisel are gone?

Yes and no.

I think Konz was the BPA at that point in the draft. He has the size and ability to play OC or OG. If Myers did not resign, he could play C. If Briesel did not resign, he could play OG. If both resigned he could replace Wade Smith.

So, whether or not they are signed, there is a spot for him in the starting lineup.

TexansSeminole
03-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Damn you pbat. You took my guy. Great pick btw. That guy is a hell of a football player and a first rounder IMO.

TexansSeminole
03-08-2012, 09:26 AM
Dopp your up, then Section516.

Doppelganger
03-08-2012, 09:47 AM
Good morning/afternoon to all of the other teams in the Texans Talk Mock draft. The DoppelColts are now ready to make our next selection.

As a struggling franchise we took a man who we thought would be a cornerstone of our franchise. While there is no certainty in this process we felt he was the best available player that fit our needs.

Going into our second round pick we decided to employ the same strategy: Best player available at a position of need. We believe we have found this young man and fully expect him to make an impact from Day 1.

One thing we were very impressed with when reviewing our game film was this young man's penchant for health. He started 40 straight games in college. Considering how violent the game is, that is pretty impressive. We were also impressed with his desire to help him team above padding his own stats. During his time in college, he has played LT, OG, and even filled in some at RT. An unselfish player to say the least.

We were also impressed with his quality of play. He is a behemoth at 6'6 333lbs, but is surprising athletic. He is known for running down field and making a key block to help his receiver or running back pick up a few extra yards. He is a powerful run blocker, and protects his QB in the passing game. We envision him sliding into OG for this season and possibly (depending on how ben Ijalana fares, moving him to RT if neccesary).

But his skills are not the reason we chose him. We chose him becuase of his heart. The man LOVES football. He is a high motor guy who plays with a mean streak within the rules of the game.

So, without any further ado, The DoppelColts are pleased to present to you our number 2 selection of the 2012 Texans Mock Draft: Mr. Kelechi Osemele!

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1591806329558&id=1b4517f49e84952005acf2891c3f79d7&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.nepatriotsdraft.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2011%2f10%2fKelechiOsomele.jpg

DoppelColts 2012 Texans Talk Mock Draft Selections
1. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
2. Kelechi Osemele. OG/OT, Iowa State

Dutchrudder
03-08-2012, 10:00 AM
I PMd and emailed him.

2.35) Minnesota Vikings - Section516

2.36) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - TexansSeminole

2.37) Cleveland Browns - Dutchrudder

2.38) Jacksonville Jaguars - Hou-Tex

2.39) Washington Redskins - Aussie Texan

2.40) Carolina Panthers - Timekiller

2.41) Buffalo Bills - Texan4Ever

2.42) Miami Dolphins - RMartin65

2.43) Seattle Seahawks - Ndevine7

2.44) Kansas City Chiefs - Honoring Earl 34

2.45) Dallas Cowboys - SteelBTexan

Dutchrudder
03-08-2012, 10:07 AM
I'm getting excited... I have one guy that I really hope no one picks in the next two slots...

Blake
03-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Mark Barron still on the board? Interesting.

aussie_texan
03-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Mark Barron still on the board? Interesting.

Shhhhh

Dutchrudder
03-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Shhhhh

Take him, please! :D

:kitten:

Section516
03-08-2012, 10:17 AM
With expected cap space, I'm looking at signing a WR or OL as a free agent to be a starter. So, expecting one of those two spots to be shored up in FA, I am going to address the defense..

The draft happened to fall into place where i can take the #1 rated safety and a top 20 prospect at a position of need..Mark Barron, S, Alabama.

Blake
03-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Shhhhh

Take him, please! :D

:kitten:

I would! Who wants to let the Lions draft in their place?

Dutchrudder
03-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Poooooooooooooooooooooooooooor Aussie....

aussie_texan
03-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Maybe it was just a ploy. Texans have taught me well name everyone your not interested in lol

Section516
03-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Hah. Had him pegged. So much CB secondary to be found in the draft. Safety are all scary, just couldn't pass him up.

Dutchrudder
03-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Maybe it was just a ploy. Texans have taught me well name everyone your not interested in lol

You should take Alshon Jeffery, I hear he's not fat any more.

Edit: thought Aussie was picking next...

PM'd TS, but he doesn't have email set up.

2.36) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - TexansSeminole -

2.37) Cleveland Browns - Dutchrudder -

2.38) Jacksonville Jaguars - Hou-Tex -

2.39) Washington Redskins - Aussie Texan -

2.40) Carolina Panthers - Timekiller -

kiwitexansfan
03-08-2012, 12:11 PM
With expected cap space, I'm looking at signing a WR or OL as a free agent to be a starter. So, expecting one of those two spots to be shored up in FA, I am going to address the defense..

The draft happened to fall into place where i can take the #1 rated safety and a top 20 prospect at a position of need..Mark Barron, S, Alabama.

Awesome pick!

If this was 1995.

TexansSeminole
03-08-2012, 12:18 PM
The Bucs are upset that LB Brown from UNC and S Barron from Alabama are no longer on the board, but still feel confident in their selection.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers select:

LB Vontaze Burfict, Arizona State

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgOwMRgUAiEXK9nec2bdMK7HaVL6ciB 3rvb9OIzelkFQljwvmFDCpmxIag

Solid inside linebacker with tons of experience. The Bucs need starting caliber linebackers to fill out their roster. Burfict should be the starting ILB on day one.

kiwitexansfan
03-08-2012, 12:24 PM
The Bucs are upset that LB Brown from UNC and S Barron from Alabama are no longer on the board, but still feel confident in their selection.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers select:

LB Vontaze Burfict, Arizona State

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgOwMRgUAiEXK9nec2bdMK7HaVL6ciB 3rvb9OIzelkFQljwvmFDCpmxIag

Solid inside linebacker with tons of experience. The Bucs need starting caliber linebackers to fill out their roster. Burfict should be the starting ILB on day one.

Now this is a pick I like.

WolverineFan
03-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Now this is a pick I like.

Million dollar body, ten cent brain. Guy is a huge character risk.

bah007
03-08-2012, 12:27 PM

There are some guys who play aggressive, like Cushing.

Then there are guys who play out of control, like Burfict.

Hopefully somebody can reel him in because he is talented as hell. But I agree, big time risk.

I like this pick for the Bucs. The payoff could be huge.

kiwitexansfan
03-08-2012, 12:31 PM

Would have been a perfect Jet if he had fallen to the 48th pick.

WolverineFan
03-08-2012, 12:33 PM

Hopefully somebody can reel him in because he is talented as hell. But I agree, big time risk.

It could be huge, but it could also be non existent. I could see a team like NE or Pittsburgh taking a flyer on a guy like him, but it seems like an unnecessary risk for a team like TB that has a ton of needs.

WolverineFan
03-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Would have been a perfect Jet if he had fallen to the 48th pick.

That's not exactly a compliment, IMO.

TexansSeminole
03-08-2012, 12:36 PM

He may be a bit of a liability in his first year, but will be much better than what they currently have on the roster. I think he will settle down and become a fixture on that defense for years to come.

Brown would obviously have been BPA at a position of need. I was really hoping he would fall to me. Barron would have replaced Sean Jones right away. The Bucs had maybe the worst safety play in the league last year.

Having said all that, the Bucs still desperately need quality linebackers even after taking Burfict.

TexansSeminole
03-08-2012, 12:38 PM
It could be huge, but it could also be non existent. I could see a team like NE or Pittsburgh taking a flyer on a guy like him, but it seems like an unnecessary risk for a team like TB that has a ton of needs.

The Bucs MLB last year may have been the worst starting linebacker in the NFL last year.

WolverineFan
03-08-2012, 12:59 PM
The Bucs MLB last year may have been the worst starting linebacker in the NFL last year.

I like Mason Foster, but he's definitely more of a WLB. He played out of position last year out of necessity. Plugging Burfict in at MLB moves him out to WLB where he's a better fit and would definitely upgrade TB's LB unit across the line.

All I'm saying is it's extremely risky to take a guy with so many red flags this high. He has a ton of talent, but you have no idea what you're going to get when you select him.

Dutchrudder
03-08-2012, 01:03 PM
Thank you TexansSeminole! The Browns were hoping very much that you wouldn't pick our guy. The Browns addressed two needs with the first two picks in WR and OT, this pick will address the pass rushing need on the defensive side of the ball. With the 37th pick in the 2012 TexansTalk Mock Draft Extravaganza, the Cleveland Browns select:

Whitney Mercilus, DE out of Illinois!

http://thexlog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Optimized-WhitneyMercilus.jpg

Another need addressed with a high pick for a good value! Boo yah! Mercilus only came on big this last year, but he's young, athletic and has a knack for sniffing out the play. High motor guy, gives great effort every play, and looks to be a promising pass rusher in the NFL. He certainly had trouble with double teams this year, but that goes partially to his credit that he got so much attention from the opposing O-lines. The Browns continue to build up the trenches.

Videos of him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYofGP5oILw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5GXgoRXJmQ&feature=related

Draft so far:
4. Justin Blackmon WR
22. Mike Adams OT
37. Whitney Mercilus DE

Next up:
2.38) Jacksonville Jaguars - Hou-Tex

2.39) Washington Redskins - Aussie Texan

2.40) Carolina Panthers - Timekiller

2.41) Buffalo Bills - Texan4Ever

2.42) Miami Dolphins - RMartin65

2.43) Seattle Seahawks - Ndevine7

2.44) Kansas City Chiefs - Honoring Earl 34

2.45) Dallas Cowboys - SteelBTexan

Brandon420tx
03-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Browns having a great draft. I really think they have more to gain from staying put instead of trading away a large fortune in draft picks to get RGIII

Dutchrudder
03-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Browns having a great draft. I really think they have more to gain from staying put instead of trading away a large fortune in draft picks to get RGIII

I agree. Ideally though, Washington signs Peyton(Spends 1st on win-now players), Dolphins get Flynn, and the Seahawks don't trade up. Indy takes Luck, STL gets Kalil, Minny takes Claiborne, so RG3 falls to the Browns for free. I was hoping that would happen in this draft, but it didn't so I went another direction.

TexansSeminole
03-08-2012, 01:18 PM
I like Mason Foster, but he's definitely more of a WLB. He played out of position last year out of necessity. Plugging Burfict in at MLB moves him out to WLB where he's a better fit and would definitely upgrade TB's LB unit across the line.

All I'm saying is it's extremely risky to take a guy with so many red flags this high. He has a ton of talent, but you have no idea what you're going to get when you select him.

I understand the hesitation, but you have to take risks in this game. There have been many players that have character issues in college and dominate in the NFL. Ray Lewis comes to mind. I am not saying that Burfict is Ray Lewis on the field, simply pointing out that you should never cross a guy off your list due to character concerns. And Burfict will go this high. Somebody will take the risk. This time it's the Bucs.