PDA

View Full Version : Rams to play NFL games in London for next 3 years

axman40
01-20-2012, 03:07 PM
LONDON (AP)—The St. Louis Rams (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/stl/) took the first step to becoming Britain’s “home” team Friday, agreeing to play a regular-season NFL game in London in each of the next three seasons.
And first up are the New England Patriots (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/nwe/), who are two wins from another Super Bowl title.
The Rams and Patriots meet at Wembley on Oct. 28, about two months after the closing ceremony of the London Olympics. That will be followed by games at Wembley against undetermined opponents in 2013 and 2014.
The Rams are owned by Stan Kroenke, who is also the majority shareholder in the English soccer club Arsenal. The team will give up home games in St. Louis for the three seasons they are in London.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nflinlondon
:tiphat:

Ole Miss Texan
01-20-2012, 03:46 PM
I was wondering why they were the team to do this. But then I remembered nobody in America really wants to watch them, so this makes sense.

gtexan02
01-20-2012, 03:52 PM
So much for home field advantage

Carr Bombed
01-20-2012, 03:58 PM
If Bob McNair EVER agreed to do something like this I hope every Texans fan would put him on blast for it.

Luckily for us I don't think we would ever have to worry about him doing something like that. Sorry, but that's just piss poor "ownership" and a owner who's more loyal to his bottom line and the league than he is loyal to his city and his paying customers (fans).

Rodger Goodell needs to abandon the whole "Europe thing". They aren't interested in our game and playing one game a year that involves a ****ty team isn't going to change their opinion.

stingray
01-20-2012, 04:23 PM
It looks like the Rams are moving to LA with this move.

False Start
01-20-2012, 05:44 PM

Yeah it does. Just so happens the Rams lease at their stadium runs out in three years, convenient coincidence. :thinking:

As a fan, I would be agg like a SOB. You're only guaranteed 8 regular season, home games a year, giving up one for three years straight would be crap. IF they have to do it for three years, why not preseason? I don't really think the fans over there would know the difference between starters and backups, lol.

Showtime100
01-20-2012, 06:30 PM
If Bob McNair EVER agreed to do something like this I hope every Texans fan would put him on blast for it.

Luckily for us I don't think we would ever have to worry about him doing something like that. Sorry, but that's just piss poor "ownership" and a owner who's more loyal to his bottom line and the league than he is loyal to his city and his paying customers (fans).

Rodger Goodell needs to abandon the whole "Europe thing". They aren't interested in our game and playing one game a year that involves a ****ty team isn't going to change their opinion.

I sure hope you are right. I lost all faith in all owners a couple of months back when the Astros went to the Arena League.

No sarcasm at all, I hope Bob is a different animal than the last two Astro hyena's that lined their pockets against the vast majority of us fans wishes. As of right now I can't trust a one of them.

Wolf6151
01-20-2012, 06:56 PM
I have to agree with Showtime100's general sentiment, most sports team owners are filthy rich and mostly interested in making more money, not the team or the fans. Goodell does need to abandon this European expansion idea that he has in his head. Fans will only take so much and sooner or later they'll remind you of who really runs the NFL.

If I were a Rams season ticket holder I'd be wanting a discount since they'll only get 7 home games now.

Double Barrel
01-20-2012, 07:59 PM

I agree with you.

But, I am not sure if McNair will have a choice. I recall an article awhile back that all teams will rotate these out-of-country games.

Okay, did a little research, and it was about a 17 or 18 game schedule, where all teams will export games. So it was just an idea floated.

Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_International_Series) mentions this: "Teams that are selected to give up a home game to play overseas are typically franchises that have been struggling with attendance at home games."

So right now, I'm not too concerned about the Texans giving up a home game considering the decade of consecutive sellouts at Reliant.

I personally hate this idea. Goodell even suggested shipping a Super Bowl overseas according to that article!! That's just messed up for so many reasons.

Dan B.
01-20-2012, 08:20 PM
I agree with you.

But, I am not sure if McNair will have a choice. I recall an article awhile back that all teams will rotate these out-of-country games.

Okay, did a little research, and it was about a 17 or 18 game schedule, where all teams will export games. So it was just an idea floated.

Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_International_Series) mentions this: "Teams that are selected to give up a home game to play overseas are typically franchises that have been struggling with attendance at home games."

So right now, I'm not too concerned about the Texans giving up a home game considering the decade of consecutive sellouts at Reliant.

I personally hate this idea. Goodell even suggested shipping a Super Bowl overseas according to that article!! That's just messed up for so many reasons.

To be totally honest I'd rather see a Super Bowl in London than in Indianapolis or Detroit.

Khari
01-20-2012, 08:21 PM
that sucks for rams fans.....i'd be pissed if i wuz one

texanmojo
01-20-2012, 11:14 PM

Great! Send the Jags!

welsh texan
01-22-2012, 07:35 AM
Not gonna call anybody out but there are some pretty ****ty opinions in this thread towards overseas fans. If you are an ignorant twat then why would you wish to advertise that on a messageboard for all the world to see?

There is a hardcore support of the NFL in the UK and we could sell out the 90,000 seater Wembley stadium many times over for our annual game. Which is more than can be said for many of the teams who come and visit us.

You want to have a go at people who stay up till 4.30 am on sunday and monday nights, just to watch the sport they love, despite having to work the following mornings? And then claim we wouldn't know the difference between a pre-season and regular season game?

And btw, I've seen how empty your stadia are at kickoff and at the end of the games over there, can't even be bothered to take your seat and cheer on your team while their on the field?

Yeh, must be UK fans that are ****ty fans.

On another note, it seems that the idea of a London franchise gets bandied about time and again, I struggle to see how it would convince the hardcore fans in Britain to ditch their current team in favour of whoever moves over? I would go see a few games a year but would never consider them 'my team'.

SAMURAITEXAN
01-22-2012, 07:57 AM
So when the Texans play in Tokyo? How I wish this to happen. In my dream only I know.

Hervoyel
01-22-2012, 12:25 PM
Not gonna call anybody out but there are some pretty ****ty opinions in this thread towards overseas fans. If you are an ignorant twat then why would you wish to advertise that on a messageboard for all the world to see?

There is a hardcore support of the NFL in the UK and we could sell out the 90,000 seater Wembley stadium many times over for our annual game. Which is more than can be said for many of the teams who come and visit us.

You want to have a go at people who stay up till 4.30 am on sunday and monday nights, just to watch the sport they love, despite having to work the following mornings? And then claim we wouldn't know the difference between a pre-season and regular season game?

And btw, I've seen how empty your stadia are at kickoff and at the end of the games over there, can't even be bothered to take your seat and cheer on your team while their on the field?

Yeh, must be UK fans that are ****ty fans.

On another note, it seems that the idea of a London franchise gets bandied about time and again, I struggle to see how it would convince the hardcore fans in Britain to ditch their current team in favour of whoever moves over? I would go see a few games a year but would never consider them 'my team'.

It sounds to me then that the NFL should be focusing on starting a UK version of itself instead of short changing US fans in order to send one game a year to stir up demand. I've always thought that their European version (WLAF? WFL? I can't remember) was flawed in that it tried to play on national rivalries with teams all over the continent instead of focusing on rivalries that were closer together.

But understand something. US fans don't like losing that home game one bit and the focus Goodell places on spreading the brand "internationally" is not welcomed by and large by US fans. It's going to naturally lead to bad attitudes. It's unfortunate but it's understandable I think.

welsh texan
01-22-2012, 02:02 PM
It sounds to me then that the NFL should be focusing on starting a UK version of itself instead of short changing US fans in order to send one game a year to stir up demand. I've always thought that their European version (WLAF? WFL? I can't remember) was flawed in that it tried to play on national rivalries with teams all over the continent instead of focusing on rivalries that were closer together.

But understand something. US fans don't like losing that home game one bit and the focus Goodell places on spreading the brand "internationally" is not welcomed by and large by US fans. It's going to naturally lead to bad attitudes. It's unfortunate but it's understandable I think.
The teams that lose their home game have tended to be the ones who can't sell out their own stadium in the first place.

The problem with setting up a UKNFL is that the quality of the players wouldn't be anywhere near good enough to tempt fans to part with their hard-earned. The NFL do a really good job of monopolising the game of Football and stopping the talent from going elsewhere. That was the real problem with NFL Europe, it never had good enough players, as was mentioned in a recent Texans thread, Dave Ragone was NFL Europe MVP one year, what does that tell you about NFL Europe?

In reality, any NFL league set up in the UK would be competing against Soccer, Rugby & Cricket just to name a few sports where our leagues attract some of the best talent in the world to play, and the players would rather be on an NFL practice squad than play over here, so it would never be a success.

I'm also unsure whether a Franchise over here would be a long term success, I just don't see how they'd get fans to give up their current team.

My real problem was with people who were ragging UK fans as having no real knowledge of the games, the pre-season games of the 80's and 90's soon died a death because the product wasn't a good enough standard so why people think we wouldn't be able to tell the difference is pretty insulting.

I actually tune in to all of the Texans pre-season games just to be able to watch the 3rd stringers btw.

Thorn
01-22-2012, 02:09 PM
Re: Rams to play NFL games in London for next 3 years

Better them than us.

Hervoyel
01-22-2012, 03:04 PM
The teams that lose their home game have tended to be the ones who can't sell out their own stadium in the first place.

And taking one of those home games away from them isn't going to really improve that situation in my opinion. Telling people you get one less game than usual for your money doesn't sound to me like the best slogan for a season ticket drive.

The problem with setting up a UKNFL is that the quality of the players wouldn't be anywhere near good enough to tempt fans to part with their hard-earned. The NFL do a really good job of monopolising the game of Football and stopping the talent from going elsewhere. That was the real problem with NFL Europe, it never had good enough players, as was mentioned in a recent Texans thread, Dave Ragone was NFL Europe MVP one year, what does that tell you about NFL Europe?

Agreed, the quality of players would be lower. That's why I said it wouldn't cost too much. To be honest nothing you setup in the UK is going to be competitive with NFL football. Being fans of NFL teams over there is fine but if you ever want a steady supply of football games then you're going to have to start somewhere and begin playing it locally. Somehow despite the fact that the NFL exists on the same continent the CFL manages to field football teams that play an entertaining version of the game. The USFL back in the 80's did so while competing for players with both the CFL and the NFL.

I can't imagine the same couldn't be done in the UK. Start small, grow the league, get better. It's not impossible.

In reality, any NFL league set up in the UK would be competing against Soccer, Rugby & Cricket just to name a few sports where our leagues attract some of the best talent in the world to play, and the players would rather be on an NFL practice squad than play over here, so it would never be a success.

I disagree. American football is in a unique position when you talk about competing against those other sports and their "best talent in the world". There's nobody over there playing it at almost any level. Not only that American football that is competitive isn't the dreadful mess you talk about watching with NFL Europe. That was a lousy idea from the start. Taking players from various teams and throwing them all together to be in other teams far away from home for a short season was just stupid. You can watch two NFL teams play exciting competitive football. You can watch two CFL teams do it or two FBS college teams do it or two FCS college teams do it. They all look pretty much equally talented when playing against level competition. Line that FCS team up against the NY Giants and things spiral out of control pretty quick.

I'm also unsure whether a Franchise over here would be a long term success, I just don't see how they'd get fans to give up their current team.

I don't know anyone who wants to see an NFL franchise over there. At least no one I speak to regularly here in Houston. When you guys are ready to move some Premier League teams over here then we'll talk. Sound good? Who's your favorite club? Yeah, we want them.

I didn't think so.

The NFL is the NATIONAL football league. Any country wanting American football really just needs to get to work on laying the foundation for a league of their own.

My real problem was with people who were ragging UK fans as having no real knowledge of the games, the pre-season games of the 80's and 90's soon died a death because the product wasn't a good enough standard so why people think we wouldn't be able to tell the difference is pretty insulting.

That's your real problem? People ragging on UK fans? People rag on other teams US fans. They rag on other fans of their own team. Fans rag on fans. That's forever.

I actually tune in to all of the Texans pre-season games just to be able to watch the 3rd stringers btw.

Outstanding. Me too.

mattieuk
01-22-2012, 06:22 PM
I don't know anyone who wants to see an NFL franchise over there. At least no one I speak to regularly here in Houston. When you guys are ready to move some Premier League teams over here then we'll talk. Sound good? Who's your favorite club? Yeah, we want them.

I didn't think so.

The implementation of a 39th game in the Premier League has actually been discussed over recent years, and whilst there has been a hostile attitude towards it from fans - a lot of that is based on the fact that the teams that the American/international audience would want to see play are typically already overplayed, with 38 league games, and then anywhere up to 30 games on top of that from the other cup competitions. From that standpoint, I'm sure that the players would not be thrilled about having to travel to Dubai/Asia/the USA, whilst in the middle of playing 3 games in 9 days.

The NFL is the NATIONAL football league. Any country wanting American football really just needs to get to work on laying the foundation for a league of their own.

Mostly picking at straws here, but the NHL is the NATIONAL hockey league and happily (and thrives on) having two countries compete in it. I would say the same for the NBA, but not being a basketball fan, it is my impression that the Raptors don't actually compete in the league, so it doesn't count. :)

That's your real problem? People ragging on UK fans? People rag on other teams US fans. They rag on other fans of their own team. Fans rag on fans. That's forever.

Some of the attitudes in this thread are doing a disservice to international fans. Whilst obviously a few of the comments are tongue in cheek - there is a large level of 'snobism' that comes from the American NFL market. The fans in Britain (the only international market that I can really vouch for) are on the whole a very educated football crowd. In fact - I'd say that an average football fan in the UK are more knowledgeable than the average USA fan. When you have to go so far out of your way to watch your team, I believe you tend to learn things in a little more depth than the average regular Joe who sees that his hometown team are in a playoff game for the first time in over a decade, and decides to pick up tickets. There really isn't a fringe audience for the NFL in England (apart from perhaps insomniacs...)

It was telling for me the attitude of the US NFL market, when after my first NFL game - the Giants vs the Fins at Wembley in NY's Superbowl year. I believe it was Manning who, in reaction to fans booing him whilst taking a knee to run out the clock made a comment along the lines of 'I don't think they knew what I was doing by taking a knee' - when in reality there was booing mostly because it was one of the worst football games to have watched (the field definitely didn't help, but I'm sure that Goodell didn't appreciate the comments).

End of issue is that the NFL is a business first, and will find any way to push itself into an international market. Just from seeing the revenue streams that it can gather form the US - if they could get an international following like the Premier League, then their profits would increase two-fold.

Showtime100
01-22-2012, 11:48 PM

Could be you're right. It would be too funny if the Cardinals then snuck out of Dallas-West and drove back to St. Louie. I think U of P Stadium has them for the foreseeable future though. Too bad.

mattieuk
02-04-2012, 01:58 AM
This plan is up in the air now - as the Rams have a lease agreement stating that all home games must be played in St Louis.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/american-football/16882913

Ticket sales for the latest NFL game in London have been suspended because of a legal dispute involving one of the participants, the St Louis Rams.

The Rams were due to take on the New England Patriots at Wembley on 28 October, but their stadium lease requires all of the team's home games to be played in St Louis.

The team recently agreed to switch one home game to the UK for three years.

The dispute centres on a clause in the Rams' lease agreement on the Edward Jones Dome.

Goodell promised UK fans of American football that they will still have a game in 2012 but acknowledged that the line-up may have to be changed.

"We're going to play the London games," he said. "We hope it will be with the Rams and the New England Patriots. That's what we planned... but there are issues that obviously are going to have to get resolved.

"We know there are discussions going on. We hope they will get resolved shortly."

A statement on the NFL UK website said: "The reason for the postponement is to allow the Rams and their stadium authority time to finalise the technical amendments to the lease required under the terms of the Rams' commitment to London.

"The Rams have expressed optimism that a resolution is near, and we will provide updates as information becomes available."

Bit of a boob from the Rams and the NFL to not know the leasing agreements!