PDA

View Full Version : HOU DEF will train here together in Offseason

srrono
01-16-2012, 11:56 AM
NickScurfield Nick Scurfield
CB Johnathan Joseph said 90-95% of #Texans defensive players will be staying in Houston this offseason to train together

Joseph: "Itís a big family here, so guys donít want to take off the offseason & do their own thing. We want to stay here together."

Texn4life
01-16-2012, 12:00 PM
CB Johnathan Joseph said 90-95% of #Texans defensive players will be staying in Houston this offseason to train together

Joseph: "Itís a big family here, so guys donít want to take off the offseason & do their own thing. We want to stay here together."

I absolutely love this! This defense can be something really special next year.

Seasick Sailor
01-16-2012, 12:00 PM
This says a lot about the chemistry that has developed on this team.

I'm curious to know which players make up the 5-10% that won't be staying in town.

MojoMan
01-16-2012, 12:05 PM
To what extent are the coaches allowed to work together with these players on these sort of workouts during the off-season? I am not talking about mini-camps or any of the formal team exercises. I mean if Wade Phillips and the other defensive coaches want to say:

'OK, the whole defense wants to work out almost continuously here in Houston. Here is what we need to do. Here is the schedule. Here are the workouts. Here are the drills. The coaches will be there to supervise at such and so time.'

How much of that can the coaches and the players do together outside of the formal team exercises?

Seasick Sailor
01-16-2012, 12:13 PM
To what extent are the coaches allowed to work together with these players on these workouts during the offseason? I am not talking about mini-camps or any of the formal team exercises. I mean if Wade Phillips and the other defensive coaches want to say:

'OK, the whole defense wants to work out almost continuously here in Houston. Here is what we need to do. Here is the schedule. Here are the workouts. Here are the drills. The coaches will be there to supervise at such and so time.'

How much of that can the coaches and the players do together outside of the formal team exercises?

I would think this would be a good time for individual players to step up and lead these workouts themselves.

There's no better way to gain the respect of your teammates than to lead by example.

Texn4life
01-16-2012, 12:18 PM
To what extent are the coaches allowed to work together with these players on these sort of workouts during the off-season? I am not talking about mini-camps or any of the formal team exercises. I mean if Wade Phillips and the other defensive coaches want to say:

Because of the new CBA coaches won't have much involvement with the players during the off-season. The players fought for more time off, and received it. The OTA's are shortened and I want to say mini-camps and contact during mini-camps are effected. Demeco and Joseph will be big in keeping these guys together and working hard for the next 6 months.

MojoMan
01-16-2012, 12:20 PM
Because of the new CBA coaches won't have much involvement with the players during the off-season. The players fought for more time off, and received it. The OTA's are shortened and I want to say mini-camps and contact during mini-camps are effected. Demeco and Joseph will be big in keeping these guys together and working hard for the next 6 months.

But what if the players voluntarily waive their time off and voluntarily choose to ask the coaches to be involved? Is that permitted?

It would be interesting to hear the answer if someone posed that question to Demeco Ryans or one of the other defensive team leaders, to get a better sense of how that might work from a player perspective.

Clamp
01-16-2012, 12:25 PM

I'm curious to know which players make up the 5-10% that won't be staying in town.

I would guess there are a few people who either have a contract coming up and arent sure if they will be brought back, and another few who have strong family ties to a place where they live in the offseason or something like that to another place that they want to go back to for a while. Some vets have a wife and kids in another city they played in for a long time.

MojoMan
01-16-2012, 12:25 PM
For example, if Kareem Jackson were to be willing to forgo some of his time off and work hard to improve his man cover skills, could the coaches work with him individually on that as much as they both wanted to?

srrono
01-16-2012, 12:40 PM
For example, if Kareem Jackson were to be willing to forgo some of his time off and work hard to improve his man cover skills, could the coaches work with him individually on that as much as they both wanted to?

I am sure there are DB gurus that KJ could hire to work with him on the Fundamentals of the DB position like SEE BALL CATCH OR KNOCK DOWN BALL.

rush2112mn
01-16-2012, 01:12 PM
I really dont think it matters where you train....as long as your training and being trained right....the right trainer and facilities...

That being said....it does show how much these guys are friends off the field and that there is accoutability on this team......that has not been on this team in the past.

Mac#5
01-16-2012, 01:16 PM
I am sure there are DB gurus that KJ could hire to work with him on the Fundamentals of the DB position like SEE BALL CATCH OR KNOCK DOWN BALL.

Hes actually improved a lot this season as opposed to his rookie season. Yesterday he was in great position but unfortunately there is no defense for the perfect pass. Year 3 should be an even better one for him

ObsiWan
01-16-2012, 01:23 PM

Don't believe this!
The whole "training together" thing is a cover story.
:spy:

They're really all hanging around and taking turns to shadow Wade's every move to make sure he doesn't get away from Houston.
:D

Brandon420tx
01-16-2012, 01:27 PM
The best thing Wade Phillips can do this offseason is recover his health. Although he'll likely over work himself in the evaluation process

Fili
01-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Terrorizing the league for many years...

darnbni99a
01-16-2012, 01:44 PM
Bulls on Parade baby!!!!!

El Tejano
01-16-2012, 02:07 PM

I'm sure it's the ones who have a contract to negotiate (ie. Mario Williams)

Naiirb
01-16-2012, 02:09 PM
I just hope Kareem learns how to turn his head and locate the ball this off season.

Dutchrudder
01-16-2012, 02:13 PM

I'm relatively certain that any coaches employed by the NFL (not just our team) cannot work with any players out side of the scheduled camps, OTAs, etc. That's part of the CBA and such. However, the players are welcome to hire any consultant they want that is not employed by the NFL to run drills with them, teach them techniques, etc etc. Kubiak or Wade may even recommend certain coaches, or possibly could tell the consultant what to work on and how to do it as well, but they just need to keep it hush hush.

eriadoc
01-16-2012, 02:14 PM
I just hope Kareem learns how to turn his head and locate the ball this off season.

I honestly don't think he will. He's improved a lot from the first season, in that he's staying with his man and not falling down every game. He had tight coverage yesterday. In the end, however, ball skills are kind of a big deal for the position. It seems to be either something you have a knack for or you don't. They threw on Joseph a few times as well yesterday, but he played the ball. Jackson's positioning wasn't appreciably worse on the balls thrown his way than was Joseph's on the balls thrown his way, but Joseph has ball skills.

ThaJokaa
01-16-2012, 02:18 PM

Did you not see him turn his head vs Boldin lots of times? He will be better next season if he stays here n trains with JJo in offseason.

Mr. Texan
01-16-2012, 02:20 PM
at least kareem was in position but he still could have made plays on the ball and got deflections.

ThaJokaa
01-16-2012, 02:24 PM
at least kareem was in position but he still could have made plays on the ball and got deflections.

He made plays several times, Boldin just did Boldin and got 1 handers a couple times. Along with an out of bounds catch...

Mr. Texan
01-16-2012, 02:28 PM
He made plays several times, Boldin just did Boldin and got 1 handers a couple times. Along with an out of bounds catch...

he was in position but didn't make plays on the ball.

he still needs to learn how to locate the ball better to take him to the next level but his footwork is getting better IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc8Wl3yWxbs

this was really good coverage but kareem was in position to get a deflection if he could locate the ball better

ThaJokaa
01-16-2012, 02:30 PM
he was in position but didn't make plays.

he still needs to learn how to locate the ball better to take him to the next level but his footwork is getting better IMO

Agreed, JJo will train him right this offseason.

KJ isnt gettin burnt anymore

Mr. Texan
01-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Agreed, JJo will train him right this offseason.

KJ isnt gettin burnt anymore

wrd.

im very excited to see how much he can improve next year

Cjeremy635
01-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Not to derail this thread, I'm very happy about the defensive guys being that excited about next year and willing to put in the hard work, but I'd rather see that say "90-95% of the team staying to train together".

I think our defense is special. I mean REALLY special with the ability to be #1 for a long time. I just don't want to see our defense end up being the only thing we have going for us besides Foster & Dre. Not knocking the O, they've been our strength for the last several years, but we don't need to take a step back on that side of the ball. Schaub missed a lot of time this year and I'd like to think he would want to work in the offseason to get back in form and develope timing with his receivers, which I think is something that he has lacked. I'm not knocking him, I just think it's something that he can get better at. Also, it wouldn't hurt to just keep building on routes and knowing what a player will do when a route breaks down and you have to improvise. That's something that they can build on as well. Everyone just being on the same page. We need a dominate team, not just one side of the ball.

badboy
01-16-2012, 04:59 PM
I think the player comments remind me of summer love. Lots of kissing and fantic promises as the bikini days fade but school is coming on like a fast train and there will be new options to consider.

michaelm
01-16-2012, 05:14 PM
I think the player comments remind me of summer love. Lots of kissing and fantic promises as the bikini days fade but school is coming on like a fast train and there will be new options to consider.

Killjoy.

Hervoyel
01-16-2012, 06:17 PM

You may be right and I'm sure there are guys who are 100% in but who will have to (want to) reconsider for some reason or another. Still this is the first time I've ever heard of them talking about staying together and getting better over the offseason. It's a good sign and says a lot about our team that they're thinking like that.

ArlingtonTexan
01-16-2012, 06:19 PM
Not to derail this thread, I'm very happy about the defensive guys being that excited about next year and willing to put in the hard work, but I'd rather see that say "90-95% of the team staying to train together".

I think our defense is special. I mean REALLY special with the ability to be #1 for a long time. I just don't want to see our defense end up being the only thing we have going for us besides Foster & Dre. Not knocking the O, they've been our strength for the last several years, but we don't need to take a step back on that side of the ball. Schaub missed a lot of time this year and I'd like to think he would want to work in the offseason to get back in form and develope timing with his receivers, which I think is something that he has lacked. I'm not knocking him, I just think it's something that he can get better at. Also, it wouldn't hurt to just keep building on routes and knowing what a player will do when a route breaks down and you have to improvise. That's something that they can build on as well. Everyone just being on the same page. We need a dominate team, not just one side of the ball.

It needed to be derailed...was turning into another Kareem Jackson conversation.