PDA

View Full Version : [Offseason] Let Rackers walk, sign/draft new kicker

GuerillaBlack
01-16-2012, 07:46 AM
Maybe the Texans can draft one, or sign one in free agency and let Rackers walk. Not confident in him at all. You have to be able to kick a long FG, especially in the playoffs. Anything over 40 yards is a 50-50 kick from Rackers and you can't have that. When was the last time Rackers kicked a FG that hit the net and didn't just barely make it in?

srrono
01-16-2012, 07:56 AM
Really, thats a real crap shoot. We know what we have with Rackers.

GuerillaBlack
01-16-2012, 08:05 AM
Did I make a troll thread or something? Why would someone vote this thread as one star? Maybe that person is Rackers' wife or something...

Yes, and what we have in Rackers is a kicker who is iffy with any kick above 40 yards and where anything above 50 yards is a no-go. Texans can use an upgrade there and it's not like Rackers is under contract, making the decision even easier to let him walk.

Maddict5
01-16-2012, 08:05 AM
i was worried about rackers accuracy lately but he was spot on with all his kicks in the wind yesterday... once hes accurate dont really care that he doesnt having a booming leg

GuerillaBlack
01-16-2012, 08:08 AM
i was worried about rackers accuracy lately but he was spot on with all his kicks in the wind yesterday... once hes accurate dont really care that he doesnt having a booming leg

So he can miss 50 yard field goals with the wind at his back? In the playoffs, you NEED a kicker who can be money with kicks over 45 yards. Rackers is not that...

Perki-Perk
01-16-2012, 08:09 AM
GB, there was already a whole "I hate Rackers" thread with stats and everything. Finally, I realized why people get upset with the same threads. I had looked up stats and everything for that thread, and ultimately it died and people quit bumping it....

In summation: Rackers has a career 80% accuracy. The best in the history of the NFL is under 87%. No need to find a new kicker. Actually, the fact that he missed that 50 yarder yesterday was kind of a fluke, as he was 5 for 5 from that distance this year before yesterday.

No, I am not Rackers wife.

Perki-Perk
01-16-2012, 08:13 AM
So he can miss 50 yard field goals with the wind at his back? In the playoffs, you NEED a kicker who can be money with kicks over 45 yards. Rackers is not that...

When he lined up for that field goal, the wind was not at his back. Let's not make stuff up. They showed the goal post and the streams were blowing slightly to the left of Rackers. I think He tried to kick it so it didn't get too high into the swirling wind at the top of the stadium and so the lower kick bounced off the goal post...that is all.

Texan_Bill
01-16-2012, 08:21 AM
Who gives a crap about a 50 yard field goal when Jacoby and Kareem Jackson suck ass??!!!

GuerillaBlack
01-16-2012, 08:22 AM
GB, there was already a whole "I hate Rackers" thread with stats and everything. Finally, I realized why people get upset with the same threads. I had looked up stats and everything for that thread, and ultimately it died and people quit bumping it....

In summation: Rackers has a career 80% accuracy. The best in the history of the NFL is under 87%. No need to find a new kicker. Actually, the fact that he missed that 50 yarder yesterday was kind of a fluke, as he was 5 for 5 from that distance this year before yesterday.

No, I am not Rackers wife.

Rackers got booted out of Arizona for the same reason Kris Brown got booted out of Pittsburgh and then here. When the pressure is on, they can't get. Rackers has a average, maybe even slightly below average leg. It's not like he is an all world out there as a kicker. We can easily find a replacement for him in the draft or FA. Josh Scobee is one I'd look at.

When he lined up for that field goal, the wind was not at his back. Let's not make stuff up. They showed the goal post and the streams were blowing slightly to the left of Rackers. I think He tried to kick it so it didn't get too high into the swirling wind at the top of the stadium and so the lower kick bounced off the goal post...that is all.

That's what they said during the broadcast, I'm not going around making stuff up. Let's not assume...

Who gives a crap about a 50 yard field goal when Jacoby and Kareem Jackson suck ass??!!!

Agree with Jacoby, but what did Kareem do that was so bad? He was making some good plays and constantly turned his head around. I clapped for him. I was impressed.

dream_team
01-16-2012, 08:23 AM

The announcers said the wind was at his back, so he's not making it up. But I didn't check the streams to verify, and we all know the announcers aren't always right.

As for me, I'm ok with Rackers coming back. I'm also ok with bringing in some competition.

Perki-Perk
01-16-2012, 08:28 AM
We can easily find a replacement for him in the draft or FA. Josh Scobee is one I'd look at.

That's what they said during the broadcast, I'm not going around making stuff up. Let's not assume...

Agree with Jacoby, but what did Kareem do that was so bad? He was making some good plays and constantly turned his head around. I clapped for him. I was impressed.

A.) http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/fg_perc_active.htm You will find Rackers about 5 spots ahead of Scobee...do we really have to do this again??

B.) I did not hear the broadcaster say that, and I am assuming at Rackers tactics, but I don't think it's too far off base. Also, I'm pretty sure I'm right about the streamers...but not 100%

C.) I also rooted for Kareem, I was like, "That's how you play Kareem!!!" I hope he takes that in to next season! Our D was HUGE today. People need to quit trying to find other scape goats....2 words: Jacoby, Yates.

TimeKiller
01-16-2012, 08:32 AM
UDFA a new kicker, bring some heat on Rackers to improve. Waste of a draft pick.

eriadoc
01-16-2012, 08:36 AM
We've had this debate before. If I have to choose between accuracy and distance, I'll take accuracy. Kris Brown had a helluva leg, but you need your kicker to hit 80%+ to give you a realistic chance. Right now, you're complaining about Rackers missing a 50-yd. FG, but it wasn't that long ago that we had a kicker who couldn't reliably make a 30-39 yard FG. I worked the numbers his last couple years and Kris Brown was just about the absolute worst kicker between 30-39 yards, but everyone seemed to ignore it because he'd boot a 55 yarder. Well, I'll take accuracy.

Now, I'm all for bringing in competition every single year and trying to find that young kicker that can kick from all distances accurately.

welsh texan
01-16-2012, 08:37 AM
UDFA a new kicker, bring some heat on Rackers to improve. Waste of a draft pick.

Agree 100%, Rackers is alright. Sure I'd love to have a bigger leg at K but I wouldn't be comfortable letting him walk given how good he is from lower range.

The guy is screaming out for some camp competition, don't get me wrong, his limitations ensure that, but you can't just let him walk. He hasn't cost us any games has he.

amazing80
01-16-2012, 08:40 AM

Really? Tell that to Hartmann, using a 6 or 7 on a K is not a wasted pick.....

Im with you, I think we need a new kicker, at least let them compete, if Rackers wins, then so be it, but bring in competition.....

eriadoc
01-16-2012, 08:41 AM
We can easily find a replacement for him in the draft or FA. Josh Scobee is one I'd look at.

Kind of a troll thread? yeah, when you post crap like this, it looks like it even if it isn't. Look up stats on Rackers and Scobee and you lose all credibility. As for the notion that it's "easy" to replace via draft or free agency, that's just patently absurd. It is not easy. There are always a few teams every season who have kicker problems, and they don't just pop down to the corner kicker store and sign a better option than Rackers.

Perki-Perk
01-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Kind of a troll thread? yeah, when you post crap like this, it looks like it even if it isn't. Look up stats on Rackers and Scobee and you lose all credibility. As for the notion that it's "easy" to replace via draft or free agency, that's just patently absurd. It is not easy. There are always a few teams every season who have kicker problems, and they don't just pop down to the corner kicker store and sign a better option than Rackers.

I already found a link for him to ponder over...just 2 posts down. If you would keep reading, you wouldn't have to rant like this....

ObsiWan
01-16-2012, 08:52 AM

We have bigger fish to fry. We need to work on getting more offensive weapons that consistently yield touchdowns. Our offense should be effective enough to get us into the red zone on a regular basis. If we're having to consistently kick 50+ yd FGs then our offense has failed us.

Having said that, I have no issue with bringing in a FG-kicking version of Hartmann to challenge Rackers for that job come T/C time. May the best guy win. Everyone should know that they have to compete for their job; every year.

welsh texan
01-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Really? Tell that to Hartmann, using a 6 or 7 on a K is not a wasted pick.....

Unless I'm totally missing your point, Hartmann was a UDFA wasn't he?

amazing80
01-16-2012, 08:55 AM
I think a lot of you are blowing this our of proportion, why shouldn't we sign a 6 or 7th rounder to compete? whats the harm in that? since when did competition become a bad thing?

amazing80
01-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Unless I'm totally missing your point, Hartmann was a UDFA wasn't he?

:mariopalm: thats right, I wanted him in the 7th :pissed:

Perki-Perk
01-16-2012, 08:58 AM
I think a lot of you are blowing this our of proportion, why shouldn't we sign a 6 or 7th rounder to compete? whats the harm in that? since when did competition become a bad thing?

A-80, sometimes, I want to neg rep you just because I think you are trying to stir the pot...lol.

I think what your esteemed fans are trying to say is, yes, bring in competition, but not at the cost of a draft pick. K/P is a postion that's rarely drafted unless there's a real gem out there. Course, I could be talking out of my rear here too....

amazing80
01-16-2012, 09:02 AM
A-80, sometimes, I want to neg rep you just because I think you are trying to stir the pot...lol.

I think what your esteemed fans are trying to say is, yes, bring in competition, but not at the cost of a draft pick. K/P is a postion that's rarely drafted unless there's a real gem out there. Course, I could be talking out of my rear here too....

Since most of you don't know me, here is how I feel about 6 and 7 rounders. I say use them on k or p because most of the time they do not amount to much, hell even use them as special team aces, but quit picking projects because they have failed and have been a waste for US....using a 7th on a kicker that you like, ensuring you get him, to come in and compete, how is that a waste?

welsh texan
01-16-2012, 09:02 AM

I think if you're in desperate need of a kicker, you can justify using a low round pick to get the guy you want.

If you are Houston and you feel you might be able to upgrade but it isn't a necessity, you definately have to draft the best player you can find at that spot who's going to have a chance to improve the rest of your team 2 or 3 years down the line.

amazing80
01-16-2012, 09:05 AM
I think if you're in desperate need of a kicker, you can justify using a low round pick to get the guy you want.

If you are Houston and you feel you might be able to upgrade but it isn't a necessity, you definately have to draft the best player you can find at that spot who's going to have a chance to improve the rest of your team 2 or 3 years down the line.

How has that worked for us? The only time is has, was 2009, which was our BEST draft ever.....every other time those players don't work out.

eriadoc
01-16-2012, 09:11 AM

That wasn't the original poster's intent. Have you seen anyone say competition was a bad thing? The idea that we should just summarily let Rackers go is what's being attacked. If the team finds a better kicker, hooray. I think we're all for that. But you don't cut your very productive kicker in order to take a chance on a bunch of unprovens. Since when is it bad that Rackers should stick around to compete with these draft picks or UDFAs? See how straw man arguments work?

welsh texan
01-16-2012, 09:13 AM
How has that worked for us? The only time is has, was 2009, which was our BEST draft ever.....every other time those players don't work out.

Faggins, CC Brown, David Anderson, Studdard, Diles, McCain, Nolan, all these guys were picked in the 6th or 7th round and went on to make a significant impact to our team years down the line.

Now, I'm aware that you will come back at me telling me that almost all of these were garbage, but think about it, they were our best available options at the time, we had no better player available to us than our 6th/7th round pickup.

Therefore, those choices in the late rounds made our team better later on. Hard to argue taking a flyer on a Kicker when you already have a high quality one on the roster when you see how many of the guys picked up at that point end up making a contribution at some stage, whether out of necessity or whatever.

amazing80
01-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Faggins, CC Brown, David Anderson, Studdard, Diles, McCain, Nolan, all these guys were picked in the 6th or 7th round and went on to make a significant impact to our team years down the line.

Now, I'm aware that you will come back at me telling me that almost all of these were garbage, but think about it, they were our best available options at the time, we had no better player available to us than our 6th/7th round pickup.

Therefore, those choices in the late rounds made our team better later on. Hard to argue taking a flyer on a Kicker when you already have a high quality one on the roster when you see how many of the guys picked up at that point end up making a contribution at some stage, whether out of necessity or whatever.

Faggins, Brown, Anderson, Diles are gone and I already said 2009 was our best draft ever.....Just because they played a lot doesn't mean they were useful....And I am saying taking a flyer on a k is worth it compared to taking a flyer on a skilled position....

amazing80
01-16-2012, 09:25 AM
That wasn't the original poster's intent. Have you seen anyone say competition was a bad thing? The idea that we should just summarily let Rackers go is what's being attacked. If the team finds a better kicker, hooray. I think we're all for that. But you don't cut your very productive kicker in order to take a chance on a bunch of unprovens. Since when is it bad that Rackers should stick around to compete with these draft picks or UDFAs? See how straw man arguments work?

he should stick around to compete ;)

welsh texan
01-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Faggins, Brown, Anderson, Diles are gone and I already said 2009 was our best draft ever.....Just because they played a lot doesn't mean they were useful....And I am saying taking a flyer on a k is worth it compared to taking a flyer on a skilled position....

Seriously, they made our team better than it would have been without them. That makes them useful.

If they weren't the best we could get our hands on at the time, they wouldn't have been playing.

And that is before I get onto the contribution Diles made to this team until 'coaching' got the better of him last season.

amazing80
01-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Seriously, they made our team better than it would have been without them. That makes them useful.

If they weren't the best we could get our hands on at the time, they wouldn't have been playing.

And that is before I get onto the contribution Diles made to this team until 'coaching' got the better of him last season.

Are you seriously keeping a straight face telling me Faggins and Brown made our team better?

Playoffs
01-16-2012, 10:25 AM
Rackers was ranked 24th in FG/XP and 29th in kickoffs for 2011 by ProFootballFocus.

BigWig
01-16-2012, 10:40 AM
There was a comment in todays Austin paper about Phil Dawson being available and he wants to come back to Texas, but that also could be inferring Dallas too. I could see him being a Texan, we need more former Longhorns anyway.

welsh texan
01-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Are you seriously keeping a straight face telling me Faggins and Brown made our team better?

Yes I am, they beat out everybody else the Texans were capable of signing at that time, the guys who were backing them up weren't as good as them, they guys who got cut in TC, weren't as good as the backups.

Wolf
04-23-2012, 09:31 PM
Texans kicker Rackers meets with Redskins: Free-agent kicker Neil Rackers, who did a terrific job with the Texan... bit.ly/JPEYsZ

https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/ChronicleTexans/status/194591732195803136

The Medic01
04-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Let's get that A&m kicker. You know the best in the country. He is really good and the kicker can be the difference in the playoffs as we have seen many times.

Brando
04-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Let's get that A&m kicker. You know the best in the country. He is really good and the kicker can be the difference in the playoffs as we have seen many times.

and the regular season. Sebastian Janikowski basically beat us with his FG's from long range. 3 of 50+ yards and 1 of 42 yards last season.

Premier
04-23-2012, 09:42 PM
The Texans brought in A&M kicker Randy Bullock for a visit.. looks like they might be interested in picking this guy up if hes available late in the draft..

Randy Bullock, Kicker, Texas A&M, 5’9″ 212 lbs.

Considered the premier kicker coming out of college football (Lou Groza Award Winner) and also from Head Coach Gary Kubiak’s Alma Mater, this could possibly be a fit for the young kicker, especially with no signed kicker on the active roster. (Source: Jason Braddock per Pro Football Talk)

TexanSam
04-23-2012, 09:50 PM
The Texans brought in A&M kicker Randy Bullock for a visit.. looks like they might be interested in picking this guy up if hes available late in the draft..

Randy Bullock, Kicker, Texas A&M, 5’9″ 212 lbs.

Considered the premier kicker coming out of college football (Lou Groza Award Winner) and also from Head Coach Gary Kubiak’s Alma Mater, this could possibly be a fit for the young kicker, especially with no signed kicker on the active roster. (Source: Jason Braddock per Pro Football Talk)

He's from the area also. He went to Klein HS. IIRC he was the kicker for the varsity team when he was a freshman back in 2005 (which was my senior year at Klein).

I wonder when's the earliest the Texans would consider drafting a kicker?

Texan_Bill
04-23-2012, 10:48 PM

YUP!! Kris Brown... Lite. :roast:

Dutchrudder
04-24-2012, 11:19 AM
He's from the area also. He went to Klein HS. IIRC he was the kicker for the varsity team when he was a freshman back in 2005 (which was my senior year at Klein).

I wonder when's the earliest the Texans would consider drafting a kicker?

Well the Eagles took Alex Henry in the 4th last year, so I would guess we might have to spend a 5th on him, or at least a 6th. This is partially why I really hope the Texans trade out of the 1st, because picking up a 2nd, 4th and a 5th would mean that we can afford to spend a 5th on a kicker like Bullock. Ensure we get our guy, just a half round early or so.

Rey
04-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Well the Eagles took Alex Henry in the 4th last year, so I would guess we might have to spend a 5th on him, or at least a 6th. This is partially why I really hope the Texans trade out of the 1st, because picking up a 2nd, 4th and a 5th would mean that we can afford to spend a 5th on a kicker like Bullock. Ensure we get our guy, just a half round early or so.

Yeah...I think trading out of the first is the way to go.

badboy
04-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Yeah...I think trading out of the first is the way to go.trade down with San Francisco (Hill) and then with Giants (Fleener) and pick up a few more picks, right? I could see an OG like Zeitler.

TheBigpaki
04-24-2012, 03:41 PM
trade down with San Francisco (Hill) and then with Giants (Fleener) and pick up a few more picks, right? I could see an OG like Zeitler.

If Smith could actually trade twice and still pick up a quality OG such as Zeitler I would be very impressed.

GP
04-24-2012, 05:24 PM
trade down with San Francisco (Hill) and then with Giants (Fleener) and pick up a few more picks, right? I could see an OG like Zeitler.

If that happened, mark it down: Best draft day move in Texas draft history.

But (a) would those two teams do that with us, and (b) could we still get Zeitler that way? It assumes a lot, IMO.

Sigh...I dunno. Cleveland seems like the team who has the most monopoly money to spend right now. I could see them looking for a partner, but hell...they could have several teams bargaining for a deal with them (which could devalue whatever compensation you want for that deal).

Wolf
04-24-2012, 05:33 PM
Dallas Morning news :kubepalm::wadepalm:

After winning the Lou Groza Award as the nation's best college football kicker, Randy Bullock seemed like a lock to make it to the next level as an NFL quarterback.
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2012/04/despite-winning-the-lou-groza-award-ams.html

"During interviews at the NFL Scouting Combine, Houston Texans special teams coach Joe Marciano asked Texas A&M kicker Randy Bullock how he would handle his first adverse situation in the NFL," Williams writes.

"You've never had a slump," Marciano said. "What happens when you have your first one?"

Bullock, without blinking an eye, said, "Coach, my dad died when I was 15. How much more adversity is there?"

drs23
04-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Dallas Morning news :kubepalm::wadepalm:

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2012/04/despite-winning-the-lou-groza-award-ams.html

That was witty, ballzy answer that could very well make him a Texan. I think I like this guy already. In my line of thinking, if they were going to resign Neil Rackers, they'd have already done it.

And a smart young man as well. Seems to fit the team mold. I'd like to see him in Deep Steel Blue.

TheBigpaki
04-24-2012, 09:16 PM
That was witty, ballzy answer that could very well make him a Texan. I think I like this guy already. In my line of thinking, if they were going to resign Neil Rackers, they'd have already done it.

And a smart young man as well. Seems to fit the team mold. I'd like to see him in Deep Steel Blue.

As an Aggie I love the guy, but I had him in one of my engineering classes, and he had it made. He would come in on days that HW was due, sit in the back and copy someones HW and turn it in. During test days, he had about 2/3 people sitting around him, feeding him all the answers. This is when I figured out how most football players get through college. But none of that matters, all that matters is that he is a good kicker and I want him on the Texans.

amazing80
04-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Boom, called this one before the season ended. He is a good kicker, but you can get one pretty darn close to his accuracy and leg for MUCH cheaper. not to mention he still makes bone headed misses which is frustrating

Allstar
04-24-2012, 09:22 PM
Good call.

Grams
04-24-2012, 10:58 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/24/redskins-reel-in-neil-rackers/

Looks like you guys got your wish. Rackers to sign with the Skins.

srrono
04-25-2012, 10:35 AM
People will miss Rackers its not like good kickers grow on trees just ask cowgirl fans.

Rey
04-25-2012, 10:51 AM
People will miss Rackers its not like good kickers grow on trees just ask cowgirl fans.

We won't miss him unless our next kicker sucks. Hopefully that won't be the case.

ChampionTexan
04-25-2012, 10:52 AM

To me how a kicker does between 40 and 49 yards defines him (longer is gravy, and shorter should be a given).

Last year, Rackers 50% success rate in the 40-49 yard range put him at #32 in the NFL. That wasn't last because there were a couple of teams who used more than one kicker over the course of the season, but it was pretty darn close.

And contrary to your comment, adequate NFL kickers aren't that difficult to find.

Señor Stan
04-25-2012, 10:54 AM
I am feeling a trade down in the mid rounds to pick up an extra 6th or 7th that they will use to draft a kicker.

KA4Texan
04-25-2012, 11:22 AM

Meh, from what I remember he and Kris Brown were neck and neck.

I miss KB more than I would Rackers, KB had the history on the team to make me "loyal" to him....Rackers felt like a substitute, while I don't wish him any ill will or nothing, if I didn't cry over us moving past KB, I sure won't for Rackers.

Besides, the best time to try out rookie kickers IS when you have a solid team since you shouldn't have to rely on their foot AS much.

Big Lou
04-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Did anyone see this on KRIV?

Rackers stated: “There’s more upside, more opportunity for advancement in Washington.”

Advancement???? What is there like levels of kickers no, did the Texans have him as the Assistant Kicker, or something and the Skins will make him Director of Kicking? Dude just say its for the money, we understand. With that said see ya, and thank you for your time here.....

GP
04-25-2012, 03:31 PM

Rackers stated: “There’s more upside, more opportunity for advancement in Washington.”

Advancement???? What is there like levels of kickers no, did the Texans have him as the Assistant Kicker, or something and the Skins will make him Director of Kicking? Dude just say its for the money, we understand. With that said see ya, and thank you for your time here.....

Lou, I was going to post the same thing man. Seriously was.

I agree. "Advancement"??? I guess he wants more than Junior Associate level? He wants his own Kicking Firm! That's the ticket! I see now.

Whew! I am glad we are not holding him back anymore. He is a peacock and we gotta' let him fly.

I think only a mere 5% of the NFL players leave a team and refrain from talking massive **** on that former team. From what I see, most guys are babies when they leave. They live a privileged life, albeit a physically demanding one...but still, they cry like they can never make another dollar in the NFL just because some team let them go. Geez.

My theory is Bob's way of handling things lends itself to players getting shocked that they are no longer on the payroll. He's a good owner. He takes care of his guys. A player here just gets to the point where they think they are an honorary Bob McNair grandkid or something. Right?

Insideop
04-25-2012, 04:11 PM
I wouldn't mind drafting Bullock in the late rounds and it looks now that will be a very real possibility. However, it does surprise me a little that they let Rackers go so easily unless it was a cap space issue (He wanted more $ than we could afford!). Now that the Texans are a team with SB possibilities, I find it hard to believe Smithiak would take a chance on a Rookie Kicker who may decide the outcome of several games. It's a big risk because they let a "known quantity" go and there is no one out there available in FA, that I know of, that's any good, and Bullock is probably the only Kicker in the Draft worth taking. This could come back to bite them! :nicedog:

Big Lou
04-25-2012, 08:13 PM

When Rackers said more opportunity maybe he meant more kicks per game since thats probably the only way Washington scores....... :lol:

cbs1507
05-02-2012, 12:36 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828c9a05/comments/jacksonville-jaguars-trying-out-jordan-palmer-chinese-kicker

We should sign Long Ding to compete with that kicker we drafted...:dance2: