PDA

View Full Version : I Know it's too early.. But Davis vs Morency

Human Highlight Reel
05-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Okay I know it's too early too really tell who is better.. but just for the sake of the thread let's just try to pick one..

I'mma go wit Morency, I've seen him play several times.. He has better field vision than Davis. Wit Zone Block I will always go wit the person wit the better vision.

Who do you think?

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
05-03-2005, 09:03 AM
I think Morency takes the job some time in the middle of the season.

Human Highlight Reel
05-03-2005, 09:08 AM
I can believe that..

Davis will start the season, but eventually Morency will be impressive when he does relieve Davis that in the middle of the season Davis will see a lot less carries as Morency slowly gets more and more carries and eventually is the Fulltime Starter next year.. when Davis will prolly seek a trade..

edo783
05-03-2005, 09:09 AM
Unless DD gets injured (highly likely) Morency will not be the starter, but rather a role player about mid year who gets 10-15 carries a game spelling DD. His hands are an unknown as well as blitz pick up skills, both of which are very important in our game.

El Tejano
05-03-2005, 09:43 AM
DD has rushed for over 1,000 yards in each of his two seasons with the team, he also has quite a few rushing TDs. Morency has done none of that yet in the NFL so I am going with DD until Morency does otherwise.

Beastlyman2003
05-03-2005, 09:44 AM
What is the deal with these haters? DD has been one of two consistent productors on our young offense, the other being AJ. Why are all yall busters trying to disrespect or downplay all of DD accomplishments? NOW, yall are talking about getting rid of him? Good thing none of yall are the Texans GM. :brickwall :bomb: :brickwall

wiley2002
05-03-2005, 10:12 AM
DD is on the verge of being the next Curtis Martin and people are chastising him for being injury prone. Fred Taylor was to and the Jags still have him.

Vinny
05-03-2005, 10:22 AM
I think if you are gonna take the time to type wit.....why not add an 'h'? Chat language is all cool and stuff and I use it...but it makes reading posts...er, nevermind.

DD will start at first...get nicked up and run poorly like he always does when nicked up, Morency comes in, and never looks back.

Word, crunk, and all of dat, wit shizzle-dizzle

texasguy346
05-03-2005, 10:29 AM

I'm tempted to use that as my new signature, but I think Ali still wins out. That's a close second.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
05-03-2005, 10:41 AM
DD will start at first...get nicked up and run poorly like he always does when nicked up, Morency comes in, and never looks back.

Fo shizzle dizzle. Holla front

wags
05-03-2005, 10:47 AM
.DD will start at first...get nicked up and run poorly like he always does when nicked up, Morency comes in, and never looks back.

So does this mean you would not resign DD after this year?

Vinny
05-03-2005, 11:02 AM
So does this mean you would not resign DD after this year?I give him a high tender and hope someone gives me a high pick for him. Otherwise he is my ideal 3rd down back/complimentary back/Kick returner.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
05-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Give DD the mid level tender (1st round pick compensation)

RiotCommander
05-03-2005, 11:11 AM
I love DD, and I think we drafted another RB only because our backups were a joke. I think we could have gone a different direction with the pick, but I have to live with it so I honestly don't think they were looking for DD's replacement.

Dionysus22
05-03-2005, 11:18 AM
I think if you are gonna take the time to type wit.....why not add an 'h'? Chat language is all cool and stuff and I use it...but it makes reading posts...er, nevermind.

:rofl: Dude, you just made my day!! Hilarious!!

Lucky
05-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Right now, Domanick is the complete back. He's had a year in the zone blocking scheme, he can pass block, he can catch, he's a good short yardage runner. He's the starter. Morency is a big ? in all of these areas. What Morency can do for this team is to take 8 -10 carries a game in the middle of the field (the way the Packers use Davenport) and lessen the load on Davis. Maybe then, DD's less likely to get nicked up so much.

No one gave a high pick this offseason to Alexander or James. No one will give up a high pick for Davis. Davis will be with the team at least until his UFA year of '07. Bring up the Davis vs Morency thread then. The next 2 seasons it will be Davis & Morency.

Vinny
05-03-2005, 11:29 AM
Chester Taylor was signed by the Browns with a high RFA tender, but the Ravens matched.

wags
05-03-2005, 11:30 AM
I give him a high tender and hope someone gives me a high pick for him. Otherwise he is my ideal 3rd down back/complimentary back/Kick returner.

That shows a lot of faith in Morency. Morency is good, but still unproven at the NFL level.

Just wondering, but wouldn't DD hold out if he is given just a one-year tender?

Vinny
05-03-2005, 11:33 AM
I'm not real big on DD and think he gets much of his yardage because teams lay back in cover-2's and don't bring up their safeties to stop him. If he holds out, I'm not going to cry.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
05-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Ravens gave Chester Taylor the low tender hoping no one would offer him a contract. The Browns offered him a 1 yr/3 million dollar contract that the Ravens eventually matched.

Lucky
05-03-2005, 11:39 AM
Chester Taylor was signed by the Browns with a high RFA tender, but the Ravens matched.
Where are you getting that info? If the Ravens hadn't matched, they would've received a 6th round pick from the Browns.
Notes — Ravens RFA RB Chester Taylor signed a one-year, $3 million offer sheet with Cleveland, March 16. Baltimore matched the offer March 21, retaining Taylor rather than receiving a 2005 sixth-round draft choice from the Browns as compensation.
Link from PFW (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+North/Cleveland/default.htm)

Vinny
05-03-2005, 11:40 AM
Baltimore Ravens restricted free agent running back Chester Taylor signed a $3 million offer sheet Wednesday with the Cleveland Browns. The Ravens have seven days under league rules to decide whether they want to match a contract that includes a $2 million base salary and a $1 million signing bonus, according to NFL Players' Association figures. If the Ravens opt not to match the offer, they would receive the Browns' sixth-round draft pick as compensation. http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=117&p=2&c=360698

Lucky
05-03-2005, 11:41 AM
Just wondering, but wouldn't DD hold out if he is given just a one-year tender?
Not going into his UFA year. Sure, he'd like to get an extension from the Texans then. But he wouldn't risk losing his job right before he's looking at a $20 million contract.

infantrycak
05-03-2005, 12:09 PM

Taylor had a low tender and the Browns only would have had to give up a 6th rounder for him.

Link (http://ravens.scout.com/2/360698.html)

Nevermind--hadn't read the rest of the thread.

It is primarily going to come down to injuries. DD stays healthy, and yes it can happen--Taylor has only missed 2 games in the last 3 years after being Fragile Fred, although it may have returned again--then DD remains the starter. If he gets more than dinged then Morency MAY get his shot. At this point we don't even know he will show enough blitz recognition and hands to be 2nd on the depth chart--he probably will, but how about we see him in training camp.

Hervoyel
05-03-2005, 12:26 PM
I see these "Morency will take the job by mid-season" posts and I have to shake my head. Hollings was going to do that too remember?

Davis remains the starter I think. It's not like we brought in Brown, Benson, or Williams. We brought in Morency. DD's job is pretty safe IMO.

Injury of course changes everything.

Vinny
05-03-2005, 01:03 PM
I thought Chester had a higher tender...but all the same, if the team wasn't worried about Dom long-term they use a second day pick instead of a first day pick on a RB for a 'compliment' since most of the backs were on the table when we picked in the 3rd round.

Lucky
05-03-2005, 02:36 PM
...if the team wasn't worried about Dom long-term they use a second day pick instead of a first day pick on a RB for a 'compliment' since most of the backs were on the table when we picked in the 3rd round.
Since we now know that 3rd round picks have a 30% chance at becoming starters, let's just say that Vernand has a 30% chance at becoming the Texans starting RB. Even Charley Casserly would say that's a fair statement. :)

Human Highlight Reel
05-03-2005, 03:12 PM
look man ain't nobody's hating on DD, all i was asking is who do you think is gonna be our guy and why..

Now don't get me wrong I like DD, I even met the guy before good guy, but DD has proven to be sort of injury prone and once he gets injuried again Morency is gonna step in and do such a good job that we could use Davis as trade bait for maybe a 1st or 2nd round next year.. so we oculd have the RB we've been waiting for and an extra 1st or 2nd rounder next year.. that's all I'm saying..

MightyTExan
05-03-2005, 03:30 PM
Greetings, everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. Just wanted to say that I don't think I've seen this scenario the boards- but what if we're clearing up cap space to offer DD a huge contract? Would the front office have made him an offer by now?

texasguy346
05-03-2005, 03:32 PM
Now don't get me wrong I like DD, I even met the guy before good guy, but DD has proven to be sort of injury prone and once he gets injuried again Morency is gonna step in and do such a good job that we could use Davis as trade bait for maybe a 1st or 2nd round next year.. so we oculd have the RB we've been waiting for and an extra 1st or 2nd rounder next year.. that's all I'm saying..

It's a nice dream scenario, but I doubt we'd be able to get a 1st rounder for DD. Alexander and Edge weren't even able to garner a trade with a price tag of a 2nd round pick. If we found a team in desperate need of a RB they might give up a 2nd Rounder, but even that would be a stretch. In any event I think infantrycak brings up a good point.

If he gets more than dinged then Morency MAY get his shot. At this point we don't even know he will show enough blitz recognition and hands to be 2nd on the depth chart--he probably will, but how about we see him in training camp.

Guessing at things like this gives us something to do with our time during the long offseason, but it's just an endless debate until we see some action in training camp and the preseason.

Vinny
05-03-2005, 03:41 PM
Since we now know that 3rd round picks have a 30% chance at becoming starters, let's just say that Vernand has a 30% chance at becoming the Texans starting RB. Even Charley Casserly would say that's a fair statement. :)Charley's pie charts are popping up everywhere.

TheOgre
05-03-2005, 03:42 PM
Hollings is fastly becoming a forgotten man. I hope we give him this season to show his stuff.

TexansJunkE
05-03-2005, 03:46 PM
Give DD the mid level tender (1st round pick compensation) what makes you think we can get a first rounder for him if nobody wanted to give a 1st for Alexander or James, who are franchise backs who can do everything?

Vinny
05-03-2005, 03:49 PM
Market drives many of these situations. Much of the value in the player lies in the market. If 2005 has tons of RB injuries this glut can thin in a hurry.

TexansJunkE
05-03-2005, 03:52 PM
true, but DD is not a 1st round pick

texasguy346
05-03-2005, 03:58 PM
Market drives many of these situations. Much of the value in the player lies in the market. If 2005 has tons of RB injuries this glut can thin in a hurry.

That's very true, but teams in need of a RB could look to the draft for help rather than give up a 1st or 2nd Round pick on DD. Miami opted not to go after Edge/Alexander/Henry and looked to the draft to pick up Brown. They were a team in desperate need of a RB. If tons of injuries happen to RBs this season then it would be a good time to be a surgeon. They'd be :drool: over the thoughts of all that money they'd make.

infantrycak
05-03-2005, 04:01 PM
what makes you think we can get a first rounder for him if nobody wanted to give a 1st for Alexander or James, who are franchise backs who can do everything?

The situations are just very different. DD is 24 and making $380k ($497 on the cap). Teams would be looking to sign him to a $2.0 to $3.5 mil per year contract.

Alexander is 28 and James is 27 and were #2 and #4 in the league last year and want contracts like LT and Portis got last year--players Alexander and James can claim they outperformed. The signing bonuses on those contracts are only palitable because they are long 6 or 7 year deals. So two huge questions--philosophically does the team believe in paying that kind of money for RB's and will Alexander and James play until they are 34-35?

IMO DD would have to go 1400 yds+ next year for anyone to be interested in giving up a 1st, but another 1200-1300 yd season and I could see a team that thought their OL was better giving up a 2nd for him.

ATX
05-03-2005, 04:06 PM
morency still has to beat out wells and hollings before he can replace DD. my question is do we go with 3 or 4 RBs this season?

BornOrange
05-03-2005, 04:17 PM
I don't know if Morency is going to take over for Davis or not, but I do know that he will start at least one game this year.

I don't think Davis has ever lasted a whole year in football without missing a game due to injury.

That's a 10 year track record of high school, college, and pro football.

michaelm
05-03-2005, 04:38 PM
It's a nice dream scenario, but I doubt we'd be able to get a 1st rounder for DD. Alexander and Edge weren't even able to garner a trade with a price tag of a 2nd round pick.

I don't think that we'd be able to get a first rounder either, but the Edge/Alexander comparison is inaccurate. The reason no team would give up a 2nd rounder for one of these guys has more to do with the size of their current contracts than the value of the draft pick. The wild card with DD is that his contract is certainly reasonable given his production to date.

Having said all that, I still agree with you that a 1st rounder is out of the question...

texasguy346
05-03-2005, 04:50 PM
As I stated right after that we'd have to find a team in desperate need for a chance at getting a 2nd Round pick.

It's a nice dream scenario, but I doubt we'd be able to get a 1st rounder for DD. Alexander and Edge weren't even able to garner a trade with a price tag of a 2nd round pick. If we found a team in desperate need of a RB they might give up a 2nd Rounder, but even that would be a stretch.

DD is affordable, but then so is a rookie RB from the 06 Draft. It all depends on the team, and what sort of value they'd place on DD. While next year's draft isn't as deep at RB it certainly has some very good prospects such as Bush, Maroney, Washington, or Williams that would be intriguing to any team in need of a RB.

Ouch! I quoted myself. My ego is about to burst. :bomb:

Lucky
05-03-2005, 04:53 PM
...The wild card with DD is that his contract is certainly reasonable given his production to date.
My rebuttal to that line of thinking is...

If DD's contract request will be so reasonable, why wouldn't the Texans sign him? The reasons guys make it to RFA without contracts are a) they’re asking for big contracts or b) the team that drafts them don't want them anymore. Unless something happens to Davis over the course of next season, I think the Texans will want him back. Rudi Johnson signed a 5 year, $26 million contract with the Bengals this offseason (with $12 mil guaranteed). That's the likely neighborhood Domanick will try to move into. Is a team going to give up a $25 million contract & a 1st round pick as compensation? No one offered that deal to Brian Westbrook & the Eagles this offseason. No one will offer that deal to Davis and the Texans next offseason.

michaelm
05-03-2005, 05:10 PM
My rebuttal to that line of thinking is...

If DD's contract request will be so reasonable, why wouldn't the Texans sign him?

Is a team going to give up a $25 million contract & a 1st round pick as compensation? No one offered that deal to Brian Westbrook & the Eagles this offseason. No one will offer that deal to Davis and the Texans next offseason.

To be fair, I repeatedly said that a first rounder is out of the question...
I was mainly pointing out that the Edge/Alexander comparison was not a good one.
I don't think we should/could realistically trade DD, because any suiter is likely to want a new contract in place with him before making a move.
Anyway, it's FAR too early to be talking trade about DD. It sure is a sign of how little respect he gets around here that the subject keeps coming up.
I, for one, hope he continues his level of performance and shuts his critics up (even though I was for drafting one of the big three RBS if he fell to us...).

infantrycak
05-03-2005, 06:08 PM
I don't think we should/could realistically trade DD, because any suiter is likely to want a new contract in place with him before making a move.

Having a new contract in place is part of the RFA process. The Texans pick one of three tender levels--high (1st and 3rd round compensation), mid (1st round), low (original draft round, in DD's case 4th). Other teams are then free to meet with DD and try to work out a deal with him. IF they come to terms, they can either (a) hold off on signing an offer sheet and negotiate something less in trade than the standard rates above for the tenders, or (b) sign him to an offer sheet. If they sign him to an offer sheet the Texans have 7 days to decide whether or not to match the offer sheet. If they do, DD is still a Texan with a contract he worked out with the other team. If they do not, DD goes to the new team with his new contract and the Texans get compensated according to the tender.

Texan Dave
05-03-2005, 07:19 PM
if dd had break away speed he would be the best in the league! maybe this guy is a little faster.............I like DD though.

DD vs VM............ :fight: during training camp

VM runs a 4.6 in the 40, I seriously doubt you'll see break away speed in him.
Also didn't DD bust a 40+ yard touchdown last year?? you have to be pretty fast to do that in the NFL. It's not the whole feild like Coleman, but still a pretty long run for an NFL runningback.

You also have to remember, everyone in the NFL draft was good in college. VM could also turn out to be a Leland McElroy, except slower.

outofhnd
05-03-2005, 08:23 PM
If DD doesnt have breakaway speed then why was has he been a return man? He was in college and was brought in to possibly be a return man on special teams and a backup RB, until he did extremely well.

Its way to early to tell if Morency is a challenger or someone that maybe we can count on to stay healthy and provide quality rest for DD. Maybe we can run a fullhouse backfield with Morency, DD, and Norris. Or the Wishbone.

trutexan02
05-03-2005, 11:23 PM
What's all this talking about getting rid of DD. How is this even a topic of converstion? In case none of you have noticed Houston has the pieces t o win, they are simply adding depth ond youth. DD's job is safe... period. Wells did a fine job in his place when he went down. DD still winsout in the end and keeps running. Besides you all act like DD is the focal point of our offense. What are you thinking? In the off season everyone was talking about drafting to protect Carr (pass blocking anyone?) No one said "they need to beef up their running game" Come on! Davis is doing exactly what he's supposed to do. Gain 80- 115 yards to make defenses play honest enough Carr can go down the field to Johnson. Morency is (if anything) Hollings replacement. Any one remember his reoccuring stints on the injury list?
Kill the Debate, there is none.

jacquescas
05-04-2005, 02:49 AM
DD doesn't have any option but the tender i think. he can get 1 of 3 or 4 levels, we will probably give him one of the 2 highest.

TexansNeedRBin05
05-04-2005, 08:25 AM
What is the deal with these haters? DD has been one of two consistent productors on our young offense, the other being AJ. Why are all yall busters trying to disrespect or downplay all of DD accomplishments? NOW, yall are talking about getting rid of him? Good thing none of yall are the Texans GM. :brickwall :bomb: :brickwall

I think getting his a** driven back 5 yds is hardly an "accomplishment" :drool:

As far as my take on it my motto is "Anyone better than DD" I may change this later but lets see what the young gun can do.

royce1054
05-04-2005, 10:22 AM
Well i think DD will start the season. Then Hollings will be the backup and Wells getting some light duty. Morrency to me will have his situations where he will come in. I think if DD starts fumbling like he did last year by game 3 or 4 i think he will flip to the 3rd down back and we will see Hollings start and Morrency getting more work. I just think it depends on how well DD plays. I hope he plays good and we can give Morrency a good 1 year learning curve. I also think that 1 of the 3 DD, Hollings, or Wells wont be back next year so this is another good way of finding out.

coachdent
05-04-2005, 12:17 PM
DD is a good, solid back. He is not a "complete back". He is extremely suspect as a blocker. He isn't given many opportunities to do so in Palmer's protection scheme. DD rarely stays in to block. He is releasing into routes immediately. He needs to stay in and help out more...again, this is more Palmer than DD, however I've got to think part of Palmer's rationale is that if Dominick can't block, then we have to release him into pattern.

Morency is by all accounts, the same type of back. If he gets 10-15 carries to go along with DD's 20-25, that's a bunch of running between friends! The NFL is not a league of three yards and a cloud of dust. Not taking advantage of the passing-friendly rules seems to be important to most NFL teams.

Lucky
05-04-2005, 12:55 PM
DD is a good, solid back. He is not a "complete back". He is extremely suspect as a blocker.
I've seen Davis pick up blitzers on many occasions. And during blitz pickup drills in camp, Domanick is as good as any back the Texans have. I've never seen him back down.

The Texans were getting beat by straight 4 man rushes in the 2nd half of '04. Teams weren't blitzing Carr, it wasn't necessary. Davis is sent out of the backfield because he's a good matchup against the oppositions' LBs. DD was 2nd in the NFL among backs in receptions & receiving yards. The problem with the pass protection is the same as it has been since the the very 1st game...the o-linemen aren't blocking the guys in front of them. I don't see how keeping a RB in on a four man rush will solve the Texans protection woes.

Vinny
05-04-2005, 01:02 PM
Davis doesn't do much more than chip block, and keeping a back into block is something most teams do more than Palmer tends to do it (rarely).

PapaL
05-04-2005, 01:15 PM
If DD doesnt have breakaway speed then why was has he been a return man? He was in college and was brought in to possibly be a return man on special teams and a backup RB, until he did extremely well.

Look no further than our return man JJ Moses. I'm sure no one here would say he has breakaway speed. Look who we had signed when he won the starting job. Thats why he became the starter.

Lucky
05-04-2005, 01:19 PM
...keeping a back into block is something most teams do more than Palmer tends to do it (rarely).
New England, Indy, & Green Bay have some of the best pass protection in the league. And their backs catch plenty of balls out of the backfield. That can't be the Texans' solution to the pass blocking woes.

I know it can't be because Casserly said on the radio prior to the draft that Davis would be the 2nd leading receiver on the team regardless of whom they drafted. Davis as a receiver is one of the things that actually works in the Texan offense. Why take that away?

Vinny
05-04-2005, 01:25 PM
New England, Indy, & Green Bay have some of the best pass protection in the league. And their backs catch plenty of balls out of the backfield. That can't be the Texans' solution to the pass blocking woes.

I know it can't be because Casserly said on the radio prior to the draft that Davis would be the 2nd leading receiver on the team regardless of whom they drafted. Davis as a receiver is one of the things that actually works in the Texan offense. Why take that away?It works to a certain degree but we are not exactly an offensive juggernaut. I think we have scored 30 points or more 2 times going on 4 years now. I don't think that we should be so predictable as to send him out every single time he is on the field. Mixing it up a bit would probably keep his touches close to the same but it would be nice if opposing pass rushers worried about more than just the lineman in their grill when they rushed us.

Texans_2008
05-05-2005, 07:19 PM
Im thinkin davis has lost a step or two..or atleast it looked like it last season...just not the drive that I saw in him before ya know?

Texan Dave
05-05-2005, 08:16 PM
Im thinkin davis has lost a step or two..or atleast it looked like it last season...just not the drive that I saw in him before ya know?

I don't know if I would say lost a step or two (that's a term generaly used in getting slower speed wise), if anything he may have gotten a little faster. Now hesetant, or lost at times would be a fair anology of the situation. He was definately more hesetant after those few fumbles he had at the beginning of the season. But towards the end of the season he was really lighting it up, although a lot of his runs were being called back because of holding penalties. To me, the thing that killed the Texans more than anything else in the second half of the season was the penelties. I remember the offensive line had a lot of penelties at key times of the games. I also remember Bruener getting about a 60 yard touchdown run by Davis called back during the Indianapolis game for holding.

Oilers/Texans
05-05-2005, 08:19 PM
Davis has produced in the NFL and will do so again this year. Why would you be so high on a rookie who has never played a down in the NFL?

Vinny
05-05-2005, 09:18 PM
You are high on Jones. He hasn't produced in the NFL either.

Oilers/Texans
05-05-2005, 09:58 PM
Did I say Jones sould replace an NFL starter???? NO!!!!!

infantrycak
05-05-2005, 11:31 PM
Now hesetant, or lost at times would be a fair anology of the situation. He was definately more hesetant after those few fumbles he had at the beginning of the season.

Or a fair analogy might be that the Texans' OL looked like a rugby scrum pile during the beginning of the season--run sideways along the line of scrimmage and then fall in place. Did anyone else notice that as the season progressed and the running game became more effective, the OL was taking less extreme angles off the snap? At the beginning of the season the "holes" created by the OL would have made Speedy Gonzales pause. The 1st 8 games of the upcoming season will be very interesting in a lot of ways.

Negative Jesus
05-06-2005, 12:48 AM

Agreed .

I have seen Morency play a few times as well and I like his style . I can definately see him taking over if DD gets off to another slow start . Wearing that # 34 might be an advantage too . :cool:

The Preacher
05-06-2005, 09:03 AM
Is looked like DD was running like one of the top five backs in the league at the end of last year. I remember thinking in preseason last year he could be a pro bowler but his slow start/minor injuries took the wind out of the sails. I'm in the camp that holds their breath every time he gets the ball so Morency was an excellent pick in that regard. I just think if DD stays healthy and the o-line comes together like it was the second half of the year he could have a monster year. It's nice to know there's a backup eager to prove himself and I enjoyed seeing Wells doing well when he had the chance (Chiefs/Titans). Overall RB is the least of the Texans worries I say put Mathis in the backfield five times a game. :spot:

edo783
05-06-2005, 09:33 AM
Morency MAY have a chance of getting DDs job, but I don't see it unless DD gets hurt, which is likely based on history. His hands and blitz pick up will be key for him. If he can do both well, then he has a shot. If not.........?

B.Diddy
05-06-2005, 03:14 PM
I think DD will have the best season of his career seeing that he finally has some heat on his backside he'll start the season with a chip on his shoulder. :hyper:

Texans_2008
05-06-2005, 08:27 PM
Good point Dave...

Texansbacker
05-07-2005, 10:29 AM
DD did not have his lead blocker Moran Norris at the beggining of last year along with the entire Texans line learning each other, new positions, and a new blocking system. He surely became frustrated, as any of us would, and tried to do to much, had some costly fumbles and untimely injuries; but ultimately he returned to form to have 1000 yards and double digit rushing touchdowns. Therefore I fully predict, especially with Morency pushing him, that D. Davis will produce nicely. Should DD get hurt, I fully expect Morency to come in and not miss a beat, ala the Chiefs running game, and that is why he was such a great pick in the draft. Now the Texans don't have to rely on J. Wells or Tony Hollings.

Texas_Thrill
05-09-2005, 05:17 PM
I think drafting morency must be a sign to DD that either he needs to come to the table and sign an extension and not ask for too much money.

I thought drafting morency in the 3rd round was dumb as it was with us having much more pressing issues than a rb controversy. mind you he is 25!

Let's face it he wont be around long regardless. I think he was a reach at best at that age. I mean i dont want to put him in the same category as the FSU QB when he came out that was 70 yrs old but a RB???? They avg. 5 years at best anyway if that long.

ojthecat
05-09-2005, 06:04 PM
but a RB???? They avg. 5 years at best anyway if that long.

The reason that they usually last only 5 years is because of the pounding that they take on every play. Now if a RB is on the bench or playing baseball his body is not taking a beating. At running back his age of 25 is not a problem. Like you said the average back only last 5 years so he will be 30 and that is not a problem.

DocBar
05-09-2005, 09:39 PM
DD has proven to be sort of injury prone and once he gets injuried again Morency is gonna step in and do such a good job that we could use Davis as trade bait for maybe a 1st or 2nd round next year.. so we oculd have the RB we've been waiting for and an extra 1st or 2nd rounder next year.. that's all I'm saying..
How are you gonna use an "injury prone" player as trade bait for a 1st or 2nd?
I'm not the biggest DD fan. I think he needs to learn the difference between pain and injury. If it hurts, but ya can't damage it more by playing, ya play!!!
Take the shot and go do your job. DD has (had?) Emmitt Smith written/wrote all over him after 2003. He just hasn't shown the heart to do what it takes. He could be one of the greatest backs to ever play if he could forget the nicks and minor stuff. a high pain threshhold is a part of the game. If DD continues to show it, he needs to be the 3rd down back and make way for a workhorse. Check out the NFL's all-time top rushers and they are remarkably similar to DD in build. Main difference, you ask??? HEART!!!! You gaoota have the want-to and the try to succeed in the NFL. RB in the NFL is a lot like BR in the PBR!

Texan Dave
05-10-2005, 06:02 AM
Something that everyone seems to keep forgeting about all this injury stuff, the training staff usualy has a greater say so than the player on weather or not he plays. Simply put, no matter how bad the player wants to play, if it's not a crutial game, meaning a game that will ultimately decide weather or not a team makes the playoffs or a playoff game, the coaching and training staff would rather not take a chance on making an injury worse. If you know you're most likely not going to the playoffs, protect your investment. You didn't see T.O. play untill the superbowl last year, sure he could've played earlier, but they didn't need him, they went ahead and let him sit for a couple of weeks and made sure they had him to play against NE. Now the Eagles had been in a win or die situation on the last game of the season last year, I bet you would've seen T.O. on the feild for game 16.

ojthecat
05-10-2005, 08:18 AM
You didn't see T.O. play untill the superbowl last year, sure he could've played earlier, but they didn't need him, they went ahead and let him sit for a couple of weeks and made sure they had him to play against NE. Now the Eagles had been in a win or die situation on the last game of the season last year, I bet you would've seen T.O. on the feild for game 16.
lol: lol: lol:

Dude he had a broken leg. He was lucky the doctors let him play for the Superbowl. This is the total BS.

lol:

Texan Dave
05-10-2005, 09:05 AM
lol: lol: lol:

Dude he had a broken leg. He was lucky the doctors let him play for the Superbowl. This is the total BS.

lol:

The fact is that you don't know what he could've done at week 16, judging from the way he played in the superbowl.

PapaL
05-10-2005, 09:15 AM
With the cast he had on I doubt he would have been much of anything during the last few games of the regular season. Week 16 to Superbowl was a month or more in between.

ojthecat
05-10-2005, 09:28 AM
The fact is that you don't know what he could've done at week 16, judging from the way he played in the superbowl.

He couldn't walk at week 16. You are ignoring the medical facts. Yes he played well in the superbowl which is 5 weeks from week 16. :brickwall

Texan Dave
05-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Oh, sorry, I didn't realise he was still in a cast at week 16. Broken leg doesn't always translate into what is generaly though of with that statement, the media has it's way of making things sound worse than they actualy are. I did know though that when the Eagles didn't put him on IR, that they had planed on him comming back.

B.Diddy
05-11-2005, 10:07 AM
How are you gonna use an "injury prone" player as trade bait for a 1st or 2nd?
I'm not the biggest DD fan. I think he needs to learn the difference between pain and injury. If it hurts, but ya can't damage it more by playing, ya play!!!
Take the shot and go do your job. DD has (had?) Emmitt Smith written/wrote all over him after 2003. He just hasn't shown the heart to do what it takes. He could be one of the greatest backs to ever play if he could forget the nicks and minor stuff. a high pain threshhold is a part of the game. If DD continues to show it, he needs to be the 3rd down back and make way for a workhorse. Check out the NFL's all-time top rushers and they are remarkably similar to DD in build. Main difference, you ask??? HEART!!!! You gaoota have the want-to and the try to succeed in the NFL. RB in the NFL is a lot like BR in the PBR!

Oh and lets not forget that emmit smith had one of the best offensive lines in NFl history come on man the dallas cowboys were the orgin of 300lb + lineman Davis has never had anything close to the top O Line........which means :hmmm: hmmmmm you can't really compare them can you :goodnight

threetoedpete
05-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Or a fair analogy might be that the Texans' OL looked like a rugby scrum pile during the beginning of the season--run sideways along the line of scrimmage and then fall in place. Did anyone else notice that as the season progressed and the running game became more effective, the OL was taking less extreme angles off the snap? At the beginning of the season the "holes" created by the OL would have made Speedy Gonzales pause. The 1st 8 games of the upcoming season will be very interesting in a lot of ways.

Agreed. If the line comes around, we got...possiblities.

Hey I don't care which one wins the starting job, As long as DD is fresh in November and December. DD is the consumate mudder. Save the hoss for money time. I would love to see
Morency earn 12-15 snaps a game. As disappointed as I was with the first round, I thought we did very well with VM. I won't give up on Hollings untill they cut him.

Vambo, the Marble Eye
05-11-2005, 11:17 AM
:confused:

I though Hollings looked very good in the beginning of the season... he has the wheels and he is bigger than DD. I wonder if they play him again in the preseason to trade him or Wells... although Wells is probably got a job in the red zone.

:) :soapbox:

El Tejano
05-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Hollings gets tackled to easily. Wells contributes more in other areas and is a serviceable back up should one of the two ahead of him go down. Wells is also the ultimate teammate.

Vambo, the Marble Eye
05-11-2005, 11:48 AM
So you probably are thinking Hollings isn't worth anything... cut him?

:)

Vinny
05-11-2005, 01:10 PM
I like Hollings, he was very explosive when he got his few touches. I don't think he is going anywhere if he can stay healthy.

B.Diddy
05-11-2005, 01:14 PM
I have to agree with you on that one