PDA

View Full Version : Superbowl win or bust next season.

TexansBull
01-15-2012, 04:36 PM
Calling before offseason acquisitions. With this team we can win it all.

Kubiak and Wade are a great coaching tandem.
Defense is still going to be top 5.
Offense is going to be top 5 - sign a number 2 reciever please!
Special teams is good - Be better without Jacoby.
Resign Arian and Mario.

Superbowl.:trophy:

:gotexans1:fans:

TexansBull
01-15-2012, 04:53 PM

Resign Arian and Mario.

You are right. We are going to the Superbowl next season.

CretorFrigg
01-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Super Bowl or bust next season.

We have the talent. We just need to execute.

The injuries and glaring hole in the WR core certainly didn't help us this year, but we can address that in the offseason. Go Texans.

stingray
01-15-2012, 04:57 PM
It's all about Schaubs health. If he goes down again, then I don't expect a Super Bowl.

mattieuk
01-15-2012, 05:00 PM
It's all about Schaubs health. If he goes down again, then I don't expect a Super Bowl.

Yup. Superbowl or bust doesn't fly for me - too many unknowns. Schaub or Foster goes down - we're a different team.

We do, however have every chance of making the big game, with this group of players we have here.

GuerillaBlack
01-15-2012, 05:00 PM

Yates with a year of experience and an offseason will be pretty good.

Playoffs
01-15-2012, 05:02 PM

You are right. We are going to the Superbowl next season.
I see what you did there...

http://feralpartykids.com/images/fry%20i%20see%20what%20you%20did%20there.jpg

MEGA SWATT
01-15-2012, 05:02 PM
Yates with a year of experience and an offseason will be an excellent turn over machine; right now he's just a good turn over machine

fixed

fiasco west
01-15-2012, 05:05 PM
I don't think it should ever be superbowl or bust. You put a lot of pressure on the team when you put those expectations out as a fanbase/city.

Too much is put on winning championships IMO. I just want the team to be a highly respectable franchise. AFC South though, I think we should win that next year again no doubt. With Manning in the division it will be harder.

TexansBull
01-15-2012, 05:08 PM

He plays an important factor. However, we now have a backup qb with playoff experience.

Yup. Superbowl or bust doesn't fly for me - too many unknowns. Schaub or Foster goes down - we're a different team.

We do, however have every chance of making the big game, with this group of players we have here.

Disagree. With a rookie qb and a punt returner sabatoging the team we have one of the best coaching duos in the nfl, one of the best defenses and offenses. We should be in contention for the Superbowl and settling for anything else is settling for mediocrity.

Yates with a year of experience and an offseason will be pretty good.

As a backup. This game proved to me Yates needs to hold the clipboard a little longer and then he will be ready to start full time. Schaub may not be mobile, but he is a top ten qb.

TheMatrix31
01-15-2012, 05:09 PM
It's all about everyone's health.

burro
01-15-2012, 05:29 PM
I don't think it should ever be superbowl or bust. You put a lot of pressure on the team when you put those expectations out as a fanbase/city.

Too much is put on winning championships IMO. I just want the team to be a highly respectable franchise. AFC South though, I think we should win that next year again no doubt. With Manning in the division it will be harder.

Bingo. All I ask is that we win the division again and get another chance at the playoffs with Schaub under center and a dejected, morbidly obese Jacoby Jones watching from the break room of a Walmart in Louisiana.

thunderkyss
01-15-2012, 05:30 PM

Really, there are a lot of things that can happen between then & now. I'm looking forward to next season no doubt, but I felt something special sometime early this season as our players were falling down. Something that assured me this would be A special season.

I don't know that we can recapture that again. On paper, I agree we'll run the table, but this game ain't played on paper.

Mr. Texan
01-15-2012, 05:32 PM
knowing houston teams you never know with how unlucky we are with injuries

tmac/yao :kitten:

ATXtexanfan
01-15-2012, 05:32 PM

Resign Arian and Mario.

not to be ass but did you see what happened to the saints. not easy winning titles. ask peyton.

fiasco west
01-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Bingo. All I ask is that we win the division again and get another chance at the playoffs with Schaub under center and a dejected, morbidly obese Jacoby Jones watching from the break room of a Walmart in Louisiana.

People put too much into winning it all. To be a champion takes luck, and we obviously did not have luck this year...and by luck I don't mean that guy going to Indy...

You know what would be worse? If the team went to the superbowl, loss, then faded back into mediocrity...sounds familiar? I want a consistently great team though. Winning the division should always be something you can be proud of. It's not easy to do as we should know.

mariowillshine15
01-15-2012, 05:37 PM
knowing houston teams you never know with how unlucky we are with injuries

tmac/yao :kitten:

And Roger Clemens in the World Series.

For a city with so many good doctors and hospitals we sure can't sign any to keep our players healthy.

TheMatrix31
01-15-2012, 05:40 PM
I'll take a consistent contender with the chance to capitalize on one or two years EVERY day over a one(or two)-hit-wonder year where we put everything into winning the title and failed like the Jets.

Allstar
01-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Super Bowl is definitely the goal, but even if we don't I'd like to solidify ourselves a winning, tough as nails organization for years to come. I believe we are built to last, but there have been far too many flashes in the pan in recent years. Next year I hope to see us further engrave the winning culture in Houston.

Edit: I'll take a consistent contender with the chance to capitalize on one or two years EVERY day over a one(or two)-hit-wonder year where we put everything into winning the title and failed like the Jets.

Yep, this.

fiasco west
01-15-2012, 05:43 PM
I'll take a consistent contender with the chance to capitalize on one or two years EVERY day over a one(or two)-hit-wonder year where we put everything into winning the title and failed like the Jets.

Or what about the Cardinals? What about the Titans that were good one year with a dominant defense with Haynesworth than faded back into mediocrity.

I'll always be happy if the team makes the playoffs consistently because then they always have a shot to make a run for it. Plus they will get bigger FAs because guys will see the team as a winning franchise.

amazing80
01-15-2012, 05:44 PM
The thing with Schaub IMO is not if he gets hurt again, you will never know that answer, but it is whether he comes back healthy after his lisfranc injury.....he may not even return in time to start next season

thunderkyss
01-15-2012, 06:45 PM

I think as long as we have smaller attainable goals to build upon to get to the Super Bowl, we'll be alright. Like you said, look at the Jets, or better yet, the Cowboys in 2010. They were thinking Super Bowl & lost everything, they lost the locker room, the team, the season.

First thing the Texans need to focus on is getting better in the offseason. Rick Smith has the draft & FA. The team & Kubiak have OTAs & conditioning. Scahub & Mario need to get healthy & ready.

Then we have to go at it 1 & oh again.

TheMatrix31
01-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Or what about the Cardinals? What about the Titans that were good one year with a dominant defense with Haynesworth than faded back into mediocrity.

I'll always be happy if the team makes the playoffs consistently because then they always have a shot to make a run for it. Plus they will get bigger FAs because guys will see the team as a winning franchise.

I don't know if I'd throw the Cardinals into that one, since they would have been right there in the playoffs again if Warner returned in 2010. Then again, they lost a whole lot more than Warner.

Allstar
01-15-2012, 06:57 PM
I don't know if I'd throw the Cardinals into that one, since they would have been right there in the playoffs again if Warner returned in 2010. Then again, they lost a whole lot more than Warner.
I don't know, I think the Cardinals were just a great example of a team getting hot at the right time. No one picked them to do anything the year before or after they went to the SB.

NastyNate
01-15-2012, 07:04 PM
The thing with Schaub IMO is not if he gets hurt again, you will never know that answer, but it is whether he comes back healthy after his lisfranc injury.....he may not even return in time to start next season

He will.

fiasco west
01-15-2012, 07:07 PM
I don't know, I think the Cardinals were just a great example of a team getting hot at the right time. No one picked them to do anything the year before or after they went to the SB.

But that's the thing to me.

Just make the playoffs. Even if it's a wildcard. Thats why the Steelers have so many SBs. They get into the playoffs, sometimes they barely get in...but once you do anything can happen.

If you get into the playoffs 5+ years in a row you are due for a superbowl appearance. One of those years your team will make a run most likely and everything will break for your team.

A time to chill
01-15-2012, 07:30 PM

Any season when you don't win a Super Bowl is a failure. That should be the goal for every team, or else you're not going very far. The only way a franchise gets respect is by winning it all.

fiasco west
01-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Any season when you don't win a Super Bowl is a failure. That should be the goal for every team, or else you're not going very far. The only way a franchise gets respect is by winning it all.

I'm telling you not every player and coach sees it that way. The team played hard, gave it their all and that is all you can ask for win or lose. People that have unrealistic expectations will always be disappointed.

Considering that the team lost Schaub and Mario for the year, this season was a massive success. The guys have some valuable playoff experience and that will help a ton in big games next season.

escrimador
01-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Don't think we're playing Tampa next year so Schaub should be good for the whole season next year. Fat Albert is his kryptonite.

Brandon420tx
01-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Realistically the next step is to be a perrenial playoff team, but this team really had potential this year to win it all

Marcus
01-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Super Bowl win or bust is a totally unreasonable, and even childish expectation.

Playoffs or bust IS reasonable.

Lucky
01-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Super Bowl win or bust is a totally unreasonable, and even childish expectation.

Marcus is right. Did I just say that?

What should be expected from the Texans is AFC South domination and becoming invincible at home. Then, teams like the Ravens and Pats can come to Reliant. I like our chances.

A time to chill
01-15-2012, 08:46 PM
I'm telling you not every player and coach sees it that way. The team played hard, gave it their all and that is all you can ask for win or lose. People that have unrealistic expectations will always be disappointed.

Considering that the team lost Schaub and Mario for the year, this season was a massive success. The guys have some valuable playoff experience and that will help a ton in big games next season.

I sure hope that the Texans don't think of a Super Bowl championship as an "unrealistic expectation". Do you think that cities like Boston or Pittsburgh are OK with their teams not winning Super Bowls? Success in the NFL is measured by wins and losses (no moral victories), so I'm going to refrain from calling this season a massive success. Let's not forget that the AFC South was terrible this year and Manning was injured. I'm going to need to see how they play next season to see whether or not this team has really turned the corner.

We as Texans fans should stop being so soft on them. In 10 seasons we only have 1 playoff victory and as someone who's been supporting them since the inaugural season I'm very upset about that.

PapaL
01-15-2012, 08:48 PM
Shouldn't this be the plan EVERY year?

I don't want a one hit wonder. I want a dynasty. I want my son to not know what it's like to support a team of losers like we've had to endure for so many years.

fiasco west
01-15-2012, 09:01 PM
I sure hope that the Texans don't think of a Super Bowl championship as an "unrealistic expectation". Do you think that cities like Boston or Pittsburgh are OK with their teams not winning Super Bowls? Success in the NFL is measured by wins and losses (no moral victories), so I'm going to refrain from calling this season a massive success. Let's not forget that the AFC South was terrible this year and Manning was injured. I'm going to need to see how they play next season to see whether or not this team has really turned the corner.

We as Texans fans should stop being so soft on them. In 10 seasons we only have 1 playoff victory and as someone who's been supporting them since the inaugural season I'm very upset about that.

Yes I do think players don't see not winning a superbowl as a massive failure. Also it became a unrealistic expectation the moment Schaub went down. No rookie QB has ever won the Superbowl. Most were hoping that we'd have some miracle movie type of season but I think most were not expecting to win it all.

You do realize that one team every year wins the superbowl right? Players and coaches realize this and they realize that sometimes you gave your best and it wasn't good enough this year. Get better and give it a go next year. Things are not as absolute as you make it seem.

As for the AFCS being terrible c'mon now. Texans split with the Colts and they have done that for a few years now. Lets not forget that the Texans loss their QB as well and didn't skip a beat. The Colts being bad is more than just losing Manning.

Actually though roaming the Steelers boards after their loss they were not that angry about it and some expected it because of the injuries they had. You can't win the superbowl every year.

The starting goal for every team is to make the playoffs. Almost every team says so because once you get in you can make a run at it and you never know what can happen. Just look at the 9ers and Giants. If you make the playoffs enough you'll likely to come away with a Superbowl appearance or two and if you are lucky a win...unless you are the Chargers that is.

thunderkyss
01-16-2012, 01:45 AM

True, but they were a "lock" to win that division, a "lock" to get to the play-offs every year, now they've been passed up by San Francisco & Seattle looks like they've got something going on over there.

thunderkyss
01-16-2012, 01:52 AM

You ain't been around near as long as you claim if you think this fan base has been soft on the Texans.

You can be as upset as you want, but if you don't acknowledge the good amidst all the bad, prepare yourself to be disappointed for a long, long time.

We're all disappointed we didn't win the Super Bowl but it's just plain wrong to think "everyone" believes their season was a "failure"

Even the Packers, I'm sure "failure" is too strong of a word. Short of the goal, short of expectations, disappointing.... sure. But failure would suggest (imo) that you go back to the drawing board.

Unless a team cleans house (whether it's the F.O. or the locker room) you can be rest assured they didn't think their season was a "failure"

ObsiWan
01-16-2012, 02:00 AM

This should be the expectation from here on out.
The goal should be to make the playoffs by winning the division and earning the highest seeding possible.
Make other teams have to come to Reliant in the playoffs. If we can do that, I like our chances.

HJam72
01-16-2012, 05:02 AM
We're not in the era of Panthers and Jaguars starting new franchises with an all-star cast of free agents. People need to understand that not making the playoffs for 10 years is very normal for a new franchise. What's not normal is winning your first ever playoff game by 3 TDs with a 3rd string QB and then playing the Ravens down to the wire in Baltimore. We have serious reason to be excited for next year!

thunderkyss
01-16-2012, 09:51 AM
We're not in the era of Panthers and Jaguars starting new franchises with an all-star cast of free agents. People need to understand that not making the playoffs for 10 years is very normal for a new franchise. What's not normal is winning your first ever playoff game by 3 TDs with a 3rd string QB and then playing the Ravens down to the wire in Baltimore. We have serious reason to be excited for next year!

Truth. We don't k ow what normal is. The only realistic comparison (completely new franchise) we've got to compare is the Cleveland Browns, only one play-off appearance (one &done) in the past 16 years. As far as perineal losers, we have 1 magical season by the Cardinals (Super Bowl appearance), the 1 & done Lions of this season, & the 49ers current season over the last decade.

Perki-Perk
01-16-2012, 10:01 AM

Look, I rarely curse, but are you BLEEPING kidding me?! A lot is put on winning championships because that IS the reason they play the game!! Too much pressure, hey as they say, if you can't take the heat, get out of kitchen! You get respect by winning championships. Steelers, Cowboys, Saints, Packers, Niners, etc. Why do they have so much respecet?! Let me help you, Championships!!!

I bet you were a C student in High School and your parents were just fine with that because they didn't want to put to much pressure on you. You got a pat on the back and they still gave you your allowance. :kitten:

Come on guys, this coddling atmosphere sucks. I can't stand coddling, it's the reason people, heck, even professional sports athletes feel so entitled now. Quit coddling and hold people accountable!!

HJam72
01-16-2012, 11:35 AM
Look, I rarely curse, but are you BLEEPING kidding me?! A lot is put on winning championships because that IS the reason they play the game!! Too much pressure, hey as they say, if you can't take the heat, get out of kitchen! You get respect by winning championships. Steelers, Cowboys, Saints, Packers, Niners, etc. Why do they have so much respecet?! Let me help you, Championships!!!

I bet you were a C student in High School and your parents were just fine with that because they didn't want to put to much pressure on you. You got a pat on the back and they still gave you your allowance. :kitten:

Come on guys, this coddling atmosphere sucks. I can't stand coddling, it's the reason people, heck, even professional sports athletes feel so entitled now. Quit coddling and hold people accountable!!

You said, "Bleep." :mariopalm:

Norg
01-16-2012, 01:27 PM
hmmm i like the 1 and 0 motto

all the great teams seem to just say that focus on week to week

Pats giants packers well everyone says that 1 and 0

fiasco west
01-16-2012, 04:07 PM

It's not coddling.

But expecting the team to win the superbowl every year is unreasonable, no matter what you try and compare it to. I'll say it one more time but no more again, after taking skill it takes luck. It takes fortune. Had Reed suffered a serious injury that would seriously hurt their chances. We could be favorites next year but if Foster or Schaub goes down their goes our chance again.

Cowboys have no respect in the current era. So I guess guys like Marino and Sanders get no respect because they have won no championships.

The point is winning the superbowl is incredibly hard to do. One team does it every year, it's nothing compared to "Getting a C" because me getting a C has nothing to do with the other person next to me getting a 'A'. A team can play it's best and give "A" performances and still come out with the L. So lets not compare this to some thing else entirely.

But of course you get more respect by winning championships, no one said otherwise. All I'm saying is making the playoffs is hard to do in the NFL. If your team does that consistently than hopefully they can make a superbowl run.

Perki-Perk
01-16-2012, 04:24 PM
It's not coddling.

But expecting the team to win the superbowl every year is unreasonable, no matter what you try and compare it to. I'll say it one more time but no more again, after taking skill it takes luck. It takes fortune. Had Reed suffered a serious injury that would seriously hurt their chances. We could be favorites next year but if Foster or Schaub goes down their goes our chance again..

All injury aside, I still think it was a successful turn of the Corner for the Texans. I understand that you have a 1 in 32 chance of going to the Super Bowl and I think my point was relavent regarding your argument. A championship is why any player plays anything. Well most anyway.

Cowboys have no respect in the current era. So I guess guys like Marino and Sanders get no respect because they have won no championships..

Cowboys have no respect?? They're still media darlings...with 5 rings. Granted it was almost 2 decades ago. Also we're talking teams, not individual players. There's examples all across professional team sports of great players that never got a ring but get a lot of respect. However, truth be told, when arguments come up about who's greatest, one of the deciding factors is rings. Whether you'll admit it or not.

The point is winning the superbowl is incredibly hard to do. One team does it every year, it's nothing compared to "Getting a C" because me getting a C has nothing to do with the other person next to me getting a 'A'. A team can play it's best and give "A" performances and still come out with the L. So lets not compare this to some thing else entirely. .

I did not mean to bring up the past for you, I appologize if that was a realistic situation. OK, let's do it this way. If you don't make the playoffs...that's automatically an "F". You have a 37.5% chance of making the playoffs in the NFL, so I wouldn't say it's extremeley hard. 12 out of 32, not too bad. So you're a Wildcard. Let's give that team a "D". Divisional round loss, "C". Conference Champ loser, "B" and as far as the Super Bowl, the winner easily gets an "A" and I'd say the loser gets a "B+". (of course we used a college grading scale here, not sure if you're familiar with that with your "C" avg.) :kitten:

But of course you get more respect by winning championships, no one said otherwise. All I'm saying is making the playoffs is hard to do in the NFL. If your team does that consistently than hopefully they can make a superbowl run.

And this was my whole point! Respect=Championships. Period.

Double Barrel
01-16-2012, 05:08 PM

I was curious about the bolded, so I did a little research.

Out of 12 expansion teams since 1960, 9 made the playoffs within 10 years (half within 5 years).

Houston Texans - first season 2002 / playoffs 2011 (10 seasons)
Cleveland Browns - first season 1999 / playoffs 2002 (4 seasons)
Carolina Panthers - first season 1995 / playoffs 1996 (2 seasons)
Jacksonville Jaguars - first season 1995 / playoffs 1996 (2 seasons)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - first season 1976 / playoffs 1979 (4 seasons)
Seattle Seahawks - first season 1976 / playoffs 1983 (8 seasons)
Cincinnati Bengals - first season 1968 / playoffs 1970 (3 seasons)
New Orleans Saints - first season 1967 playoffs 1987 (21 seasons)
Atlanta Falcons - first season 1966 / playoffs 1978 (13 seasons)
Miami Dolphins - first season 1966 / playoffs 1970 (5 seasons)
Minnesota Vikings - first season 1961 / playoffs 1968 (8 seasons)
Dallas Cowboys - first season 1960 / playoffs 1966 (7 seasons)

So based upon NFL history of the past 50 years, it is normal for expansion teams to make the playoffs within their first 10 years.

As far as the title - "Superbowl win or bust next season" - I have to disagree. Obviously, a championship is every team's goal. However, I do not look at it as a complete failure if a team is unable to bring home a trophy. Perhaps if we were the New England Patriots this would be applicable, but we are not NE, so perspective is in order. JMO

TheMatrix31
01-16-2012, 06:28 PM
How about goal for next season to not be devastatingly unhealthy and to get BEAT if we're going to get beat? Don't beat ourselves.

fiasco west
01-16-2012, 06:35 PM
All injury aside, I still think it was a successful turn of the Corner for the Texans. I understand that you have a 1 in 32 chance of going to the Super Bowl and I think my point was relavent regarding your argument. A championship is why any player plays anything. Well most anyway.

Cowboys have no respect?? They're still media darlings...with 5 rings. Granted it was almost 2 decades ago. Also we're talking teams, not individual players. There's examples all across professional team sports of great players that never got a ring but get a lot of respect. However, truth be told, when arguments come up about who's greatest, one of the deciding factors is rings. Whether you'll admit it or not.

I did not mean to bring up the past for you, I appologize if that was a realistic situation. OK, let's do it this way. If you don't make the playoffs...that's automatically an "F". You have a 37.5% chance of making the playoffs in the NFL, so I wouldn't say it's extremeley hard. 12 out of 32, not too bad. So you're a Wildcard. Let's give that team a "D". Divisional round loss, "C". Conference Champ loser, "B" and as far as the Super Bowl, the winner easily gets an "A" and I'd say the loser gets a "B+". (of course we used a college grading scale here, not sure if you're familiar with that with your "C" avg.) :kitten:

And this was my whole point! Respect=Championships. Period.

Being media darlings have nothing to do with 'Respect'. The Colts got more press than the Texans this year in the national media, yet you won't find many people saying the Texans had a bad year or won the division by default after that Ravens game.

Cool, more personal jabs.

Well not sure what this is all about. Never said we'd get more respect for making the playoffs rather than winning superbowls lol. Once again I never said or implied that.

Duh championships = respect. Whose arguing against that again?

Showtime100
01-16-2012, 06:59 PM
For the next few months I just want to enjoy the Texans accomplishments this last season. I'm not ready for lofty expectation and the "stress" that goes along with it just yet. Time to decompress.

Oh, that reminds me. Time to go feed the Ravens fans I have been keeping in my basement since yesterday. :kitten:

StarStruck
01-16-2012, 07:15 PM

I have supported the Texans since voting to get the stadium. The previous seasons were disappointing, but going from below average to barely average all the way to the second round of the playoffs is a great accomplishment.

I am not soft on low performing teams (mine for starters), but given all the Texans overcame this year and still play a very close game in second round of the playoffs is not my idea of a bust. Of the 32 teams in the league, there are still some who has never won a Super Bowl and have been around decades longer than the Texans.

rush2112mn
01-16-2012, 07:35 PM

Resign Arian and Mario.

I think getting to the big game should be the goal for this team next year. I worry about winning it when you get there.......

thunderkyss
01-16-2012, 08:09 PM
I think getting to the big game should be the goal for this team next year. I worry about winning it when you get there.......

Win games
Win the division
Win a first round bye
Win in the divisional round
Win the AFC Championship game
Win the Super Bowl

Should be that way every year