PDA

View Full Version : Schaub 1-on-1 covers rehab, 'coaching' role and more

CloakNNNdagger
01-14-2012, 09:02 AM
Quarterback Matt Schaub interviewed by Nick Scurfield. PODCAST (http://hw.libsyn.com/p/c/c/1/cc13016143f1cc0d/Podcast_Matt_Schaub_1_13_12.mp3?sid=a5026f0c489875 a77ca4cfca1916f6ba&l_sid=18889&l_eid=&l_mid=2865866&expiration=1326554381&hwt=7c1b633768fe732117325f710264bf73)

Has just now been able to place weight on his foot for the first time. Counting the days to OTA's

The interview, at least for me, confirms Schaub "The Leader"..........despite adversity, the epitome of class.

Jaysol
01-14-2012, 09:46 AM
I was never a "believer" in Schaub, but after this season, the way he has dealt with the adversity that has been handed to him has changed my view completely.

I'm hopeful for the rest of the playoffs, and extremely optimistic and excited about next season with him at the helm.

I'll wear my Schaub jersey with pride!

rush2112mn
01-14-2012, 09:55 AM
I will be looking forward to seeing him back next year. He has handled his role right now with the team with class and has tried to help TJ as much as he can. You got to feel for the guy. Its got to be eating him up inside to have to sit there on the bench and watch the game and not be able to play.
I heard where Andre came up after he got the td and talk to him. Andre knows how he feels and how much he wants to be out there so bad and play.

That my folks is a leader. He may not be playing but he is doing what he can to help TJ with the task he has in front of him.

Get well Soon Matt ....were going to need you next year....:texan::fans::logo:

TimeKiller
01-14-2012, 10:05 AM
We'll see how classy he is next year when he's asked to play the same role.

TexanSam
01-14-2012, 10:08 AM

What? Schaub is the starter next year.

Jaysol
01-14-2012, 10:21 AM

Next season, it's Schaub's job to lose, regardless of how well Yates does in the playoffs. That is a fact.

TJ can still benefit from 2-3 years of being Matt's understudy. After 2 years, I could see us seeing what we could get for Schaub in trade and give the future to "The Kid."

thunderkyss
01-14-2012, 10:26 AM
What? Schaub is the starter next year.

I've never been a Schaub fan, still not. I think we can do better & should continue to look for young QBs to take that spot.

I have no doubt that Schaub can get this team to the SuperBowl but I think Schaub gives us a 60-70 percent chance.

I don't think it will be "easy" to find that QB that is better than Schaub, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

I have yet to see anything to make me think Tj can be that guy. He's got three more games to show us something.

dream_team
01-14-2012, 10:28 AM

The only way I see this happening is if his foot injury is more worse than expected, and it affects his ability on the field.

darnbni99a
01-14-2012, 10:36 AM
much respect for Schaub. hope he's back to normal next season

Texanator
01-14-2012, 10:36 AM
I've never been a Schaub fan, still not. I think we can do better & should continue to look for young QBs to take that spot.

I have no doubt that Schaub can get this team to the SuperBowl but I think Schaub gives us a 60-70 percent chance.

I don't think it will be "easy" to find that QB that is better than Schaub, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

I have yet to see anything to make me think Tj can be that guy. He's got three more games to show us something.

Getting us to the big dance is what we want him to do. With your 60-70% and our Defense, the game is ours to lose.Which I highly doubt he'd do.

thunderkyss
01-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Getting us to the big dance is what we want him to do. With your 60-70% and our Defense, the game is ours to lose.Which I highly doubt he'd do.

Last year the Packers had the #2 defense in the league. This year, they don't.

We don't know what our defense is going to be like next year.

Still, if we can find a QB that gives us an 80% or better chance to get to the big dance (Brady, Ben, Rogers, Brees) shouldn't we continue to look for that QB?

Unless our plan going forward is to build a dominating defense (which has never been our goal, just turned out that way)...

buddyboy
01-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Next season, it's Schaub's job to lose, regardless of how well Yates does in the playoffs. That is a fact.

TJ can still benefit from 2-3 years of being Matt's understudy. After 2 years, I could see us seeing what we could get for Schaub in trade and give the future to "The Kid."

Soo...hypothetically, if Yates leads us to a Superbowl victory... key word, "leads". Not just manages. If he leads us to a championship, is he still the backup going into next season? :stirpot:

Jaysol
01-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Soo...hypothetically, if Yates leads us to a Superbowl victory... key word, "leads". Not just manages. If he leads us to a championship, is he still the backup going into next season? :stirpot:

He's most definitely the back up. If he proves himself better during training camp, then who knows what can happen, but I dont think there is much doubt that if healthy, Schaub is starting the first game of the 2012 season.

Hervoyel
01-14-2012, 11:30 AM

That's a problem I'm sure we'd all love to have.

If he leads the Texans to the Super Bowl and wins it then "yes", he's still the understudy and I think even Yates understands why that is. He's green and it shows. When he screws up that's almost entirely his lack of experience at fault. Watching him I get the impressions that he's almost always at his best when he can just stop thinking about what he's doing and play.

If Yates took us to the Super Bowl and won it then Leinart would be traded or released and Yates would move up to #2. We might even get an offer or two for him but I doubt we'd be interested. Schaub is entering his 9th year next season and coming off a season-ending injury. I think being able to count on Yates would be an outstanding insurance policy.

Keep in mind too that in this scenario no rule says Yates has to stay #2. Nobody knows how an injury will affect a player until they deal with it. Jake Delhomme's situation should be fresh in our minds. Solid starter who led his team to the Super Bowl and had a few outstanding years and then got hurt. He was never the same after that. I know he had an elbow injury that affected his throwing and Schaub is supposed to fully recover but I'm talking about more than just the physical aspect of this. If Matt comes back and can't seem to recapture his game People would be screaming for Yates and that could snowball into a permanent QB change.

Lots of factors will combine to decide who starts next season should Yates win a Super Bowl.

b0ng
01-14-2012, 11:36 AM
If T.J. Yates wins the SB he will be the starter in 2012.

texanhead08
01-14-2012, 11:46 AM
Schaub is the starter next year end of story. I still feel like if he was playing we would have gotten a bye.

I don't get all the Schaub hate around this town. I guess its the thing where the backup QB is always the most popular guy in town. I have to agree with LZ in that with all the bad QB play around the league people should be careful what they wish for in wanting to get rid of Schaub.

thunderkyss
01-14-2012, 11:47 AM
If he plays like Flacco over the next two games...... Schaub is the starter.

If he plays like Brady over the next two games.... Tj has won the starting job.

thunderkyss
01-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Schaub is the starter next year end of story. I still feel like if he was playing we would have gotten a bye.

I don't get all the Schaub hate around this town. I guess its the thing where the backup QB is always the most popular guy in town. I have to agree with LZ in that with all the bad QB play around the league people should be careful what they wish for in wanting to get rid of Schaub.

If Tj Yates wins the next two games on the strength of his arm, 66% completion, 5 TDs, 0 Ints, 440 yards..... he's the starter, no way around that.

If Tj puts up Joe Flacco type stats.... Trent Dilfer type stats, he's the back-up.

It's not about wanting to get rid of Schaub. But Schaub has been here 5 years & hasn't gotten us close to winning the Super Bowl

Tj Yates hasn't either, we know that. That's where the if comes in.

Going to & winning the Super Bowl on the back of Arian Foster will not move Tj above Schaub on the depth chart... but if Tj puts the team on his shoulder & win the next two games..... how can you not start him?

Premier
01-14-2012, 12:15 PM

how so? schaub took over this offense when he was fairly raw, not being groomed for kubiaks offense in atlanta obviously. TJ comes from a very similar offense in college, and even schaub admitted that yates picked it up quicker than he did. what had schaub proved when the texans traded for him? he was virtually unknown by all of us, the only reason i heard of him, was because i used to spam vick on madden and he got knocked out of a game and matt came in.. i just feel like years from now we will all be talking about how we should have traded schaub when we had the chance.

Premier
01-14-2012, 12:28 PM
I still feel like if he was playing we would have gotten a bye.

Texans probably looking at 12-4 situation with schaub still healthy, thats assuming he takes care of business against ATL & CINCY and the Texans playing for a shot at the #2 spot in the TEN game. The Texans laid an egg against Carolina, i dont see how schaub comes in and changes that situation, the entire team was humbled after clinching the division. so at 12-4 were locked into the 3 seed.

Jaysol
01-14-2012, 12:29 PM
how so? schaub took over this offense when he was fairly raw, not being groomed for kubiaks offense in atlanta obviously. TJ comes from a very similar offense in college, and even schaub admitted that yates picked it up quicker than he did. what had schaub proved when the texans traded for him? he was virtually unknown by all of us, the only reason i heard of him, was because i used to spam vick on madden and he got knocked out of a game and matt came in.. i just feel like years from now we will all be talking about how we should have traded schaub when we had the chance.

I don't know anyone who would argue that we would have a better chance of winning it all with Schaub as QB this season. Why would we start Yates next year if we have a better QB on the roster. We had very few options when we picked up Matt and had him starting. It's a completely different situation.

When do you propose we should have traded Matt? Who would have replaced him?

cbs1507
01-14-2012, 12:40 PM

Seriously we NEED to find somebody better than Kareem Jackson. I don't know why we would be trying to replace someone who has led a top 10 offense for the past 5 year (top 5 for 3 of them). I say we try to draft a game changing #2WR and shore up the secondary. Those will probably be our 2 biggest concerns in the offseason. Oh yeah and resign Foster, Williams and Meyers.

NitroGSXR
01-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Last year the Packers had the #2 defense in the league. This year, they don't.

We don't know what our defense is going to be like next year.

Still, if we can find a QB that gives us an 80% or better chance to get to the big dance (Brady, Ben, Rogers, Brees) shouldn't we continue to look for that QB?

Unless our plan going forward is to build a dominating defense (which has never been our goal, just turned out that way)...

No... not if it means overhauling the offense while Kubiak is here. Schaub may/may not be among the best QBs in the NFL but he certainly is one of best in the West Coast Offense.

One thing that Kubiak deserves credit for... he has been consistent with his high output offenses over the years so we have a pretty good guage of what the offense will do next year whether we run or throw.

texanhead08
01-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Texans probably looking at 12-4 situation with schaub still healthy, thats assuming he takes care of business against ATL & CINCY and the Texans playing for a shot at the #2 spot in the TEN game. The Texans laid an egg against Carolina, i dont see how schaub comes in and changes that situation, the entire team was humbled after clinching the division. so at 12-4 were locked into the 3 seed.

We layed an egg against Carolina mostly because when we were coming back TJ threw 2 picks and fumbled once.

thunderkyss
01-14-2012, 12:48 PM
I don't know anyone who would argue that we would have a better chance of winning it all with Schaub as QB this season. Why would we start Yates next year if we have a better QB on the roster. We had very few options when we picked up Matt and had him starting. It's a completely different situation.

When do you propose we should have traded Matt? Who would have replaced him?

Tj Yates lacks experience now. That's Schaub's only advantage & the only reason to believe we'd have a better shot with Schaub.

But Yates is getting that experience now. If we go all the way through the Super Bowl with Yates, he's getting that experience & that is experience Schaub does not have.

Yates clinched the division, Yates beat the Bengals in the play-offs. If we get past Baltimore in the play-offs & win the AFC Championship & win the Super Bowl..... in my mind, his experience trumps Schaub's

That is of course if Tj plays above the level he has so far.

texanhead08
01-14-2012, 12:51 PM
T.J. missed a lot of throws last week and we got away with it. It concerns me how he tends to overthrow a lot of wide open guys. We can't do that against a defense like Baltimore. Ed Reed won't drop a for sure pick 6 like the Bengals DB did.

thunderkyss
01-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Seriously we NEED to find somebody better than Kareem Jackson. I don't know why we would be trying to replace someone who has led a top 10 offense for the past 5 year (top 5 for 3 of them). I say we try to draft a game changing #2WR and shore up the secondary. Those will probably be our 2 biggest concerns in the offseason. Oh yeah and resign Foster, Williams and Meyers.

A top 10 offense would have got us to the play-offs.

Stats are misleading.

Look at the Saints, the Patriots, & the Packers..... those are top 10 offenses. Real top 10 offenses.

Even with a top 10 defense, the best defense is a real offense. This year our offense was a league leader in T.O.P. & scoring... the defense gets the other offense off the field, a league leading offense keeps them off & puts pressure on to score.

EVOLVIST
01-14-2012, 01:02 PM

Everyone is quoteing you today, so I'll continue the trend. :)

Personally, I think TJ Yates has shown us plenty that he can be that guy. Not that he should have a starting role next year (unless, like many of us have said, including you, he's blows the doors off the NFL in the next 3 games and takes us to the SB and wins it), but that he has shown more poise, more confidence, and more physical ability than any other rookie, coming in late in the season...more than I've ever seen in my 28 years of watching football.

TJ Yates has a tremendous amount to learn still. But by all indications, and from what we've seen on the field, this excellerated learning process could not have been handled by most, let alone even a few. I dare say he's probably smarter and less flappable than Schaub, even at this early stage.

Having said that, if Yates' career goes south, as a whole - at a yet to be determined time - then that is on Yates and I won't shed a tear. Yet as it stands now, he has been blessed with a remarkable experience that many diamonds-in-the-rough never get. Because, well...there aren't that many diamonds-in-the-rough to be found. After all, this is the NFL.

In a nutshell, from what we've seen of TJ Yates, I can see him either falling off the face of the map or becoming an elite QB, much better than Schaub. If, on the other hand, he ends up being middle of the road, or even simply on par with Schaub, we don't need him. Hit the draft.

cbs1507
01-14-2012, 01:21 PM
A top 10 offense would have got us to the play-offs.

Stats are misleading.

Look at the Saints, the Patriots, & the Packers..... those are top 10 offenses. Real top 10 offenses.

Even with a top 10 defense, the best defense is a real offense. This year our offense was a league leader in T.O.P. & scoring... the defense gets the other offense off the field, a league leading offense keeps them off & puts pressure on to score.

None of their defense is nearly as bad as ours were. GB, NE, NO are at the bottom defensively when it comes to TOTAL YARDS. But if you look at PPG they are middle of the pack ( all are ranked between 15-19 giving up 21-22 PPG on teams that score over 30 PPG). They all give up way less than their offense scores. You're right stats are misleading, but only when used improperly. The stats you used were presented improperly. The Texans gave up more PPG on average than our offense has scored over the past 5 seasons (prior to 2011).

Premier
01-14-2012, 01:49 PM
It concerns me how he tends to overthrow a lot of wide open guys.

hasnt schaub been guilty of this as well, one of the knocks before he went down was how he was consistently overthrowing andre and hitting OD in the feet.. difference is schaub is an 8-year vet, yates is a rookie.

texanmojo
01-14-2012, 01:58 PM
If he plays like Brady over the next two games.... Tj has won the starting job.

No way in hell that TJ plays like Brady the next two games.

thunderkyss
01-14-2012, 02:34 PM
None of their defense is nearly as bad as ours were. GB, NE, NO are at the bottom defensively when it comes to TOTAL YARDS. But if you look at PPG they are middle of the pack ( all are ranked between 15-19 giving up 21-22 PPG on teams that score over 30 PPG). They all give up way less than their offense scores. You're right stats are misleading, but only when used improperly. The stats you used were presented improperly. The Texans gave up more PPG on average than our offense has scored over the past 5 seasons (prior to 2011).

If our offense stayed on the field & scored, our defenses wouldn't have given up so many points.

So the Schaub lovers have nothing to worry about.

cbs1507
01-14-2012, 02:41 PM
If our offense stayed on the field & scored, our defenses wouldn't have given up so many points.

So the Schaub lovers have nothing to worry about.

That's a poor argument. Offense can't "stay on the field" if defense cannot get off the field. It goes both ways. Besides, we fixed that problem this season and got off to better starts (we led the league in 1st half scoring and TOP in Matt's 7-3 start this season). We were also 5th in scoring 27 PPG, but defense was giving up only 16 PPG. Your dislike for Schaub causes you to make accusations that just don't hold water.

thunderkyss
01-14-2012, 03:05 PM
That's a poor argument. Offense can't "stay on the field" if defense cannot get off the field. It goes both ways. Besides, we fixed that problem this season and got off to better starts (we led the league in 1st half scoring and TOP in Matt's 7-3 start this season). We were also 5th in scoring 27 PPG, but defense was giving up only 16 PPG. Your dislike for Schaub causes you to make accusations that just don't hold water.

I don't hate Schaub. I'm glad we got him.

But he is not & never has been elite. If he's not elite, our offense isn't & never was elite. True, that's not the same thing as saying top 10....

But the way some are going on about our top 10 offense last year, it's obvious that they are taking those stats the wrong way. We made up a lot of offensive stats in coming back in games... can't erase defensive stats, even though you can not make a comeback if the defense doesn't play well in spurts, like our "top 10" offense did last year.

If we truly had a good offense, we would have controlled more games.... we would have increased leads.... we would have kept the defense (& the other offense) off the field.

The Chargers #1 offense in 2010. They scored 27ppg... the defense only gave up 20 ppg.... they only won 9 games.

#1 offense

#1 defense

NitroGSXR
01-14-2012, 03:19 PM
Something to consider... if TJ does overtake Schaub, it would be in our best interests to trade Schaub before we handed TJ the keys otherwise Schaub's trade value plummets. I would hope the Smithiak regime has been watchong how the Bengals were able to fleece the Raiders like that. I'd hate to be the team that merely gets a compensatory pick for Schaub.

cbs1507
01-14-2012, 03:25 PM
I don't hate Schaub. I'm glad we got him.

But he is not & never has been elite. If he's not elite, our offense isn't & never was elite. True, that's not the same thing as saying top 10....

But the way some are going on about our top 10 offense last year, it's obvious that they are taking those stats the wrong way. We made up a lot of offensive stats in coming back in games... can't erase defensive stats, even though you can not make a comeback if the defense doesn't play well in spurts, like our "top 10" offense did last year.

If we truly had a good offense, we would have controlled more games.... we would have increased leads.... we would have kept the defense (& the other offense) off the field.

The Chargers #1 offense in 2010. They scored 27ppg... the defense only gave up 20 ppg.... they only won 9 games.

#1 offense

#1 defense

That is just one example. A minority if you will. You are not likely to find many more in a large population. But it's not like you can pin all downfall all on Schaub or even the offense. Yes we got off to slow starts, but that doesn't excuse the defense to not get their arse off the field. The defense let us down plenty of times (especially in the 4th). Besides as I said before we remedied that problem (slow starts) this season with Schaub (led the league in 1st half scoring and TOP). We were even top 5 on 3rd down conversions with Schaub. Not so much with Yates.

thunderkyss
01-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Something to consider... if TJ does overtake Schaub, it would be in our best interests to trade Schaub before we handed TJ the keys otherwise Schaub's trade value plummets. I would hope the Smithiak regime has been watchong how the Bengals were able to fleece the Raiders like that. I'd hate to be the team that merely gets a compensatory pick for Schaub.

Um.. the Palmer Raider fleece thing happened 6 weeks after Andy Dalton was handed the keys.

Schaub simply does not have the resume Palmer did & I doubt there will be a team as delusional as the Raiders thinking they are a "Matt Schaub" away from the AFC Championship game.

Speedy
01-14-2012, 03:32 PM
If Tj Yates wins the next two games on the strength of his arm, 66% completion, 5 TDs, 0 Ints, 440 yards..... he's the starter, no way around that.

If Tj puts up Joe Flacco type stats.... Trent Dilfer type stats, he's the back-up.

It's not about wanting to get rid of Schaub. But Schaub has been here 5 years & hasn't gotten us close to winning the Super Bowl

Going to & winning the Super Bowl on the back of Arian Foster will not move Tj above Schaub on the depth chart... but if Tj puts the team on his shoulder & win the next two games..... how can you not start him?

Some of y'all are so full of it. I'm glad to know you're in the organization and that this indeed will come to be. Oh, that's right, you're not!! You don't know jack!!!

thunderkyss
01-14-2012, 03:32 PM
None of their defense is nearly as bad as ours were. GB, NE, NO are at the bottom defensively when it comes to TOTAL YARDS.

Let's get back to the point. These offenses score when they are on the field. They take up clock & keep the other offense on the sideline. That's why they win despite having a bad defense.

It was the same with the greatest show on turf, it was the same for the Colts for most of the last decade.

A bad defense in itself will not sink a season, especially if you have a real top 5 offense.

Again, I'm not saying Schaub sucks. I'm not saying Tj is better. I'm saying the Patriots were only going to get so far with Drew Bledsoe & it took them an injury to Bledsoe to figure that out.

ObsiWan
01-14-2012, 04:04 PM

Since Yates magically transforming into Tom Brady is as likely as me winning the lottery tonight, then Schaub will be pencilled in as the starter.

But for the sake of discussion, let's say Yates puts up those numbers you presented. If most of those yards are YAC yds, is Yates still automatically the starter? If AJ takes a slant to the house or Arian takes a checkdown and runs 60-70 yds with it, does that make Yates a Tom Brady?

Can he recognize defensive fronts and coverages as well as Schaub? Will he see the potentially open guy before the snap? Can he see a weakness in the defense he's facing soon enough to check out of a bad play?

My point is, it ain't just stats that will earn him a promotion. He's gotta show he knows the ins and outs of the game to be promoted over someone who does.

Lucky
01-14-2012, 04:16 PM
...but I dont think there is much doubt that if healthy, Schaub is starting the first game of the 2012 season.
If healthy. Still a big if by the season opener. And if TJ leads the team thru the offseason, training camp, and the preseason, do you just hand the keys back to Schaub for the season Opener?
It was unlikely that Schaub was going to play like Brady. Maybe we're setting the bar too high?

NitroGSXR
01-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Um.. the Palmer Raider fleece thing happened 6 weeks after Andy Dalton was handed the keys.

Schaub simply does not have the resume Palmer did & I doubt there will be a team as delusional as the Raiders thinking they are a "Matt Schaub" away from the AFC Championship game.

True but I wasn't thinking about that. I meant as to point out how savvy the Bengals GM was by refusing to cave in to Palmer's "release me or I'll retire" threats. I also have how we got nothing for a 1,000+ yard rusher on my mind. Our regime has... struggled... by holding onto players for too long. We banked on Ahman Green, David Carr, Steve Slaton, Sage Rosenfels, Jacoby Jones, etc. I think that Smithiak is viewed as a bit transparent in the NFL. Also, the Parmer fiasco was personal and fueled with resentment.

Jaysol
01-14-2012, 05:17 PM
If healthy. Still a big if by the season opener. And if TJ leads the team thru the offseason, training camp, and the preseason, do you just hand the keys back to Schaub for the season Opener?

It was unlikely that Schaub was going to play like Brady. Maybe we're setting the bar too high?

I think it is all contingent on Schaub being healthy. Personally, I would say he needs to play at least part of one preseason game to be given the reigns for the season opener. If Yates puts in significantly more work during camp and preseason, he should start.

texanmojo
01-14-2012, 05:17 PM

Where in my post did I state he would?