PDA

View Full Version : Foster could challenge NFL playoff rushing mark

Wolf
01-11-2012, 06:13 PM
In his postseason debut last weekend, Texans running back Arian Foster rushed for 153 yards in the Texans’ 31-10 Wild Card Weekend victory over Cincinnati.

It may be a tall order but this weekend against Baltimore, Foster could challenge for the most rushing yards in a player’s first two postseason games in NFL history. Foster needs 96 rushing yards to break into the top five all-time in that somewhat obscure category.

The players with the most rushing yards in their first two postseason games in NFL history:

Player Team Year(s) Yards

Duane Thomas Cowboys 1970 278
Terrell Davis Broncos 1996, 1997 275
Eddie George Titans 1999 268
Shonn Greene Jets 2009 263
Fred Taylor Jaguars 1999 248

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/foster-could-challenge-nfl-playoff-rushing-mark

EllisUnit
01-11-2012, 06:23 PM
thatd be great, BUT i would rather him get -1 yards and a win than that record.

gg no re
01-11-2012, 08:05 PM
thatd be great, BUT i would rather him get -1 yards and a win than that record.My fantasy football opponent doesn't have Arian, so I'd like him to get positive yardage in a winning effort.

painekiller
01-11-2012, 11:01 PM
That second name on the list is who Foster reminds me of.

thunderkyss
01-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Foster is amazing.

But did anyone notice how much space he had to run? If you watched the OL in that Bengals game, there were so many gaps & lanes in the DL Foster had mutliple lanes he could have ran in. He did an excellent job pressing the whole then cutting it upfield.... not the backside, most of his cuts went out to the play-side.

Big difference between that game & the first Bengals game, where all the lanes were clogged & he barely had room to breath.

I personally think we can credit this to the Carolina, & Indy games...... games we lost, but we got to work on our run game against inferior defenses, till we got it perfect.......

There's no way I can prove it, but if you watch those games again, watch how the run game opens up from game to game... Carolina, then Indy, then Tennessee..... then Cincinnati..

Baltimore ain't gonna know what hit'em

CloakNNNdagger
01-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Foster is amazing.

But did anyone notice how much space he had to run? If you watched the OL in that Bengals game, there were so many gaps & lanes in the DL Foster had mutliple lanes he could have ran in. He did an excellent job pressing the whole then cutting it upfield.... not the backside, most of his cuts went out to the play-side.

Big difference between that game & the first Bengals game, where all the lanes were clogged & he barely had room to breath.

I personally think we can credit this to the Carolina, & Indy games...... games we lost, but we got to work on our run game against inferior defenses, till we got it perfect.......

There's no way I can prove it, but if you watch those games again, watch how the run game opens up from game to game... Carolina, then Indy, then Tennessee..... then Cincinnati..

Baltimore ain't gonna know what hit'em

If that middle is clogged up by the Ravens, unlike some other games, Kubiak better take the runs to the outside. If he insists on taking it inside, he better consider putting in Tate, who seems to power up the middle against resistance.

Playoffs
01-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Duane Thomas Cowboys 1970 278
Wow, that's a blast from the past. I remember watching Duane Thomas as a kid.

thunderkyss
01-13-2012, 08:53 PM
If that middle is clogged up by the Ravens, unlike some other games, Kubiak better take the runs to the outside. If he insists on taking it inside, he better consider putting in Tate, who seems to power up the middle against resistance.

CnD..... I respect you man, but I definitely did not expect to see a post like this from you.

If Foster ran it up the middle, that ain't on Kubiak. Something he saw told him that was the best way to go.

Same thing with short passes, long passes, & Tj's handcuffs. Most all of our pass plays will have at least a deep & intermediate route, a short crosser & a checkdown..... if Tj choses to be safe & go for the checkdown, or chooses the intermediate more than the deep route, that's not on Kubiak. That's Tj making a decision.

beerlover
01-13-2012, 09:00 PM
I heard Texan fans are getting arrogant? So how about changing title thread to: Foster will break the NFL Playoff rushing mark

CloakNNNdagger
01-13-2012, 09:03 PM
CnD..... I respect you man, but I definitely did not expect to see a post like this from you.

If Foster ran it up the middle, that ain't on Kubiak. Something he saw told him that was the best way to go.

Same thing with short passes, long passes, & Tj's handcuffs. Most all of our pass plays will have at least a deep & intermediate route, a short crosser & a checkdown..... if Tj choses to be safe & go for the checkdown, or chooses the intermediate more than the deep route, that's not on Kubiak. That's Tj making a decision.

With all due respect TK, there have been several games where Foster would repeatedly and futilely try to run up the middle through large segments of the game. If indeed that was Foster's choice, I would think, or at least hope, that Kubiak would intervene and redirect his efforts.

TEXANRED
01-13-2012, 09:16 PM
thatd be great, BUT i would rather him get -1 yards and a win than that record.

well.....

1970 The Cowboys went to the Superbowl
1997 Broncos went to the Superbowl
1999 Titans went to the Superbowl
2009 Jets went to the AFC Championship game
1999 Jags went to the AFC Championship game

I will take it.

Lets go Foster

TEXANRED
01-13-2012, 09:18 PM
With all due respect TK, there have been several games where Foster would repeatedly and futilely try to run up the middle through large segments of the game. If indeed that was Foster's choice, I would think, or at least hope, that Kubiak would intervene and redirect his efforts.

Just as long as Kubiak doesnt have the same brain fart he did last time we played the Ravens and take the points instead of going for it 4th and 1.

thunderkyss
01-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Just as long as Kubiak doesnt have the same brain fart he did last time we played the Ravens and take the points instead of going for it 4th and 1.

There's nothing more degrading than picking up a 4th & 1 against a team that "thinks" they are a bad ass defense.

We had that first down if Terrence Cody didn't grab Arian by the facemask & turn him back.

I loved that call & you're right, it was most likely the difference in that game.

TEXANRED
01-13-2012, 10:12 PM
There's nothing more degrading than picking up a 4th & 1 against a team that "thinks" they are a bad ass defense.

We had that first down if Terrence Cody didn't grab Arian by the facemask & turn him back.

I loved that call & you're right, it was most likely the difference in that game.

I hated the call. You are on the road against a really good team and you are trying to build something. Instead of taking the 3 points we walk away with nothing giving them the ball and momentum. Even Charles Barkley thought it was a turrible call.

thunderkyss
01-13-2012, 10:26 PM
I hated the call. You are on the road against a really good team and you are trying to build something.

What we are telling them there, is that we are a really good team.

Like I said, that play would have changed the game. We're telling them that we ain't scurred, & we weren't going to settle for 3.

Again, we had it... the refs missed a blantant 15 yard penalty.

Instead of taking the 3 points we walk away with nothing giving them the ball and momentum. Even Charles Barkley thought it was a turrible call.

Well, if Barkley said it was a terrible call........

EllisUnit
01-14-2012, 12:06 PM
well.....

1970 The Cowboys went to the Superbowl
1997 Broncos went to the Superbowl
1999 Titans went to the Superbowl
2009 Jets went to the AFC Championship game
1999 Jags went to the AFC Championship game

I will take it.

Lets go Foster

hmm i have no idea what your trying to say with this, but hey i agree with the very last sentence none the less :)

TEXANRED
01-14-2012, 01:09 PM
hmm i have no idea what your trying to say with this, but hey i agree with the very last sentence none the less :)

Just that those RB's with those records have either went to the Superbowl or played in the Championship game.

dream_team
01-14-2012, 01:09 PM

Should have been 1st & goal on the 5! We score a TD there, would have been a totally different game.

dream_team
01-14-2012, 01:11 PM

Actually, I think it's the RB coach's job to point that out to Foster. RB coach looks at the pictures and tells Foster what holes he's missing.

dream_team
01-14-2012, 01:16 PM

This!^^^

One of my pet peeves on this board is Yates will throw a 5 yard check down on 3 & 10, then everyone blasts Kubiak for the play call. Ummm... that check down wasn't Kubiak's decision, it was Yates'.

CloakNNNdagger
01-15-2012, 08:27 AM
Actually, I think it's the RB coach's job to point that out to Foster. RB coach looks at the pictures and tells Foster what holes he's missing.

And if there are consistently no holes in the middle but the RB coach repeatedly "suggests" a hole that doesn't exist?...............then who steps in? That's why it's called HEAD coach, isn't it?

GuerillaBlack
01-15-2012, 08:44 AM
What we are telling them there, is that we are a really good team.

Like I said, that play would have changed the game. We're telling them that we ain't scurred, & we weren't going to settle for 3.

Again, we had it... the refs missed a blantant 15 yard penalty.

Well, if Barkley said it was a terrible call........

Still scored a TD on the fumble in the endzone though. It evened out.

thunderkyss
01-15-2012, 11:58 AM
And if there are consistently no holes in the middle but the RB coach repeatedly "suggests" a hole that doesn't exist?...............then who steps in? That's why it's called HEAD coach, isn't it?

That depends... somehow we are going to have to establish that the RB coach continues to suggests a hole that isn't there

Which none of us know, because we don't hear what is going on on the sidelines.

Instead, we project our hatred of certain individuals & imagine a situation that incriminates those same individuals.

thunderkyss
01-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Still scored a TD on the fumble in the endzone though. It evened out.

True... & what a statement that was.

Wolf
01-15-2012, 01:41 PM
He has tied Taylor at halftime

He has 95 yards at the half

Playoffs
01-15-2012, 03:48 PM
The players with the most rushing yards in their first two postseason games in NFL history:

Player................ Team........ Year(s)....... Yards

Arian Foster..... Texans ... 2012 ...........285
Duane Thomas..... Cowboys .. 1970............. 278
Terrell Davis........ Broncos .... 1996/1997 .....275
Eddie George....... Titans ...... 1999............. 268
Shonn Greene...... Jets ......... 2009............. 263
Fred Taylor......... Jaguars ..... 1999............. 248

Wolf
01-16-2012, 09:16 PM

Player................ Team........ Year(s)....... Yards

Arian Foster..... Texans ... 2012 ...........285
Duane Thomas..... Cowboys .. 1970............. 278
Terrell Davis........ Broncos .... 1996/1997 .....275
Eddie George....... Titans ...... 1999............. 268
Shonn Greene...... Jets ......... 2009............. 263
Fred Taylor......... Jaguars ..... 1999............. 248

Wish we would have won, but that is impressive against some top defenses(I think the bengals were around 7th)