William Vlachos OC 6'1" 301

Blake
01-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Oh thats tonight?

Meh...

Ole Miss Texan
01-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Tigers at Home.

http://bloguin.com/crystalballrun/images/stories/TyrannMathieuLSUvTennesseeWTHpXSbcXvwl.jpg

AnthonyE
01-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Oh thats tonight?

Meh...

^ this. QFT definitely.

Dutchrudder
01-09-2012, 04:54 PM
This video is pretty good:

Moves Like Badger Tribute
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eluuWoJ2C3E&feature=colike

I'm going for Bama tonight, only so that they get the MNC over LSU without really deserving it. This year would have been perfect for a 4 team playoff. LSU vs Stanford and Bama vs OKST, winners play eachother for an actual NC instead of this wishy washy crap. I want this crappy bowl system to be exposed for how terrible it is and then maybe there will be change in a positive way. I really couldn't care less about the game itself since I don't believe anyone but LSU deserves the crown when it's all said and done.

rmartin65
01-09-2012, 04:55 PM
This is the least excited I have been about the National Championship Game since I have started watching football. Probably wont watch, but I think LSU takes it.

Hervoyel
01-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Well, "Roll Tide" I guess.

Goldensilence
01-09-2012, 05:06 PM
If its anything like the last matchup, this could be called the Snooze Bowl sponsored by Serta.

Ole Miss Texan
01-09-2012, 05:14 PM
As a football fan, I loved the first game between these teams. I thought it was a great, intense game.

I think this one will be more fun to watch for most fans though. I have a feeling it will be higher scoring and not quite the knock down drag out game the last one was.

Although I would really love a playoff system and I'm not a big fan of the BCS, I will say I think they definitely got it right. The two best teams are playing each other.

gtexan02
01-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Why is this only on ESPN? That sucks. I only get local channels and can't watch it now

Texecutioner
01-09-2012, 06:37 PM
SEC games are pretty boring to me. Mainly defense and running the ball.

Dutchrudder
01-09-2012, 06:48 PM
SEC games are pretty boring to me. Mainly defense and running the ball.

LSU is 13-0. They scored 35 points or more in 11 of their 13 games this season. They are 12th overall in points scored.

Bama is 11-1 and scored 24 points or more in 11 of their 12 games. They are 17th overall in points scored.

I think it's going to be more entertaining this time around. I really don't think we will see a FG contest like last time. I'm guessing it will be more like 27-20 or so.

Texecutioner
01-09-2012, 06:51 PM
LSU is 13-0. They scored 35 points or more in 11 of their 13 games this season. They are 12th overall in points scored.

Bama is 11-1 and scored 24 points or more in 11 of their 12 games. They are 17th overall in points scored.

I think it's going to be more entertaining this time around. I really don't think we will see a FG contest like last time. I'm guessing it will be more like 27-20 or so.

I'm just saying year after year most SEC games are boring to me. That entire conference focuses on running the ball and defense.

Texan4Ever
01-09-2012, 07:04 PM
This is the least excited I have been about the National Championship Game since I have started watching football. Probably wont watch, but I think LSU takes it.

Agree with this. Wonder why no one asks Nick Saban to explain himself when he said a few years back that, "Anyone who doesn't win their conference, has no business playing in the national championship."

RazorOye
01-09-2012, 07:24 PM
since I don't believe anyone but LSU deserves the crown when it's all said and done.

I agree!

(but I am incredibly biased)

GEAUX TIGERS!

http://0.media.sportspickle.cvcdn.com/12/25/06d052048942fac4ae47e6ee6e36c15f.jpg

eriadoc
01-09-2012, 07:40 PM
What channel?

Personally, I hope Alabama wins 9-6, just to screw with things.

TexanSam
01-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Not sure who i'm rooting for. I really don't like Nick Saban and don't want to see him get another championship. I also hate the BCS though, so an Alabama win could give more incentive to go to a playoff I think. Hoping for an exciting game at least.

michaelm
01-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Good lord, what was up with that National Anthem? That was horrible!

I don't know who that guy is, but he must be somebody relatively well known in order to be selected to sing at the National Championship game. He certainly wasn't selected on singing talent.

SAMURAITEXAN
01-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Aussie punter for LSU can really punt!

SAMURAITEXAN
01-09-2012, 08:52 PM
3-0 Bama

SAMURAITEXAN
01-09-2012, 09:33 PM
6-0 Bama

thunderkyss
01-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Is that brand new turf?

That looks like brand new turf.

I'm jealous.

stingray
01-09-2012, 09:39 PM
Bama totally dominating.

SAMURAITEXAN
01-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Is that brand new turf?

I'm jealous.

Is it? BCS generating lots of money I suppose. As expected, all D. Bama seems to be out playing LSU but no TD.

TexanSam
01-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Is that brand new turf?

I'm jealous.

It's field turf though isn't it? It's in the Superdome.

SAMURAITEXAN
01-09-2012, 09:47 PM
9-0 Bama Halftime

thunderkyss
01-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Not sure who i'm rooting for. I really don't like Nick Saban and don't want to see him get another championship. I also hate the BCS though, so an Alabama win could give more incentive to go to a playoff I think. Hoping for an exciting game at least.

An Alabama win would suggest the BCS got it right as it would be inferred they were the only team capable of beating LSU.

If you really hate the BCS, you should hope for an LSU blow-out, which would suggest the BCS got it wrong & Alabama should not have been in the game to begin with.

I think, OSU blowing out Stanford would suggest that OSU should have played LSU. With the score the way it was & Stanford not really considered a contender, it makes it look like neither team should have been in the Championship game.

silvrhand
01-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Jeesh do you think the announcers really want LSU to win? lol god I'm ready to mute the game..

SAMURAITEXAN
01-09-2012, 10:03 PM
Jeesh do you think the announcers really want LSU to win? lol god I'm ready to mute the game..

It should be treated equal but Bama seems be talked about more. May be something to do with time possession of Bama got to do with it?

TexanSam
01-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Don't know if this is really Trent Richardson's twitter, but if it is he's really immature. Tweeting during halftime. Also makes some Katrina jokes at LSU's expense. Takes a jab at Arian Foster as well.

https://twitter.com/#!/TrentRollTide

SAMURAITEXAN
01-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Don't know if this is really Trent Richardson's twitter, but if it is he's really immature. Tweeting during halftime. Also makes some Katrina jokes at LSU's expense. Takes a jab at Arian Foster as well.

If it is indeed Trent Richardson, he is immature person for sure and sad.

SAMURAITEXAN
01-09-2012, 10:17 PM
12-0 Bama. A TD by LSU can turn this game around though.

TexanSam
01-09-2012, 10:20 PM
12-0 Bama. A TD by LSU can turn this game around though.

They need to do something. Alabama's dominated the game even though it's only 12-0. Bama's defense is good, but it's not this good. LSU looks like they don't belong.

kiwitexansfan
01-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Pulling against Saban so I guess that means Go LSU!

That McCarron guy has thrown some decent balls.

kiwitexansfan
01-09-2012, 10:36 PM
INT by Alabama.

GAME OVER.

NastyNate
01-09-2012, 10:39 PM

That's not his twitter. One of the fake poster's friends actually busts him in the Arian and Kansas tweets.

SAMURAITEXAN
01-09-2012, 10:40 PM
They need to do something. Alabama's dominated the game even though it's only 12-0. Bama's defense is good, but it's not this good. LSU looks like they don't belong.

Yep, LSU need to do something to turn around this game. But, Bama seems to me in control of this game so far.

SAMURAITEXAN
01-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Missed FG. LSU still have a chance to come back.

SAMURAITEXAN
01-09-2012, 10:44 PM
LSU O look awful.

Carr Bombed
01-09-2012, 10:47 PM
MOST BORING ****ING NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME EVER.

That's why NOBODY wanted to see this game again. I HATE the BCS. :mariopalm: (And the SEC bias)

I like defense, but this game is a absolute snore fest...I would've rather seen Ok. St. get a shot. If you aren't going to give us playoffs or even a legit champion...atleast give us a game people want to watch.

GlassHalfFull
01-09-2012, 10:49 PM

That's why NOBODY wanted to see this game again. I HATE the BCS. :mariopalm: (And the SEC bias)

I like defense, but this game is a absolute snore fest...I would've rather seen Ok. St. get a shot.

I absolutely agree.

However, this is why we actually play the game. So much for crowning LSU before hand.

I do think one reason the offense is so bad is they haven't played in 6 weeks. Another thing a playoff would cure.

ArlingtonTexan
01-09-2012, 10:50 PM
We almost had a TD, but dropped, so back to the field goals.

SAMURAITEXAN
01-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Now, LSU's back against the wall. 15-0 Bama

ArlingtonTexan
01-09-2012, 10:52 PM

I like defense, but this game is a absolute snore fest...I would've rather seen Ok. St. get a shot. If you aren't going to give us playoffs or even a legit champion...atleast give us a game people want to watch.

7 quarters and 10 field goals not quality football?

Carr Bombed
01-09-2012, 10:52 PM
I absolutely agree.

However, this is why we actually play the game. So much for crowning LSU before hand.

I do think one reason the offense is so bad is they haven't played in 6 weeks. Another thing a playoff would cure.

I didn't think LSU was going to win this game...they were dominated the first time around.. Bama's kicker just choked.

I just DID NOT WANT to see this game again, really nobody did. It shouldn't of happened.

:kubepalm: WOW!!! another FG! yay!

SAMURAITEXAN
01-09-2012, 10:55 PM
This game would be more interesting if LSU play against a team that can throw.

Carr Bombed
01-09-2012, 10:57 PM
7 quarters and 10 field goals not quality football?

On the college level....no it's not. We've seen this before. This is why there was no excitement for this game, you barely even heard it being promoted this week. NOBODY outside of Alabama or LSU fans were looking forward to this match up or this game.

It should've been OK St vs LSU. Atleast have a offense vs defense story line...not two teams who just beat their heads against a wall and two teams we already watched...it's like watching a crappy sequel. I like defense as much as the next guy, but this is ridiculous and will not keep people tuned in on a Monday night.

And this is without getting into the "how can a team play for a championship when they don't even win their conference" debate.

Mr teX
01-09-2012, 11:01 PM
if you love football you'll watch whether its another defensive knock down drag out or if its a track meet. me personally i have no preference, i just want to see good football & that can be either way....not entertaining football.

bama's gameplan is flawless by the way..

SAMURAITEXAN
01-09-2012, 11:01 PM
On the college level....no it's not. We've seen this before. This is why there was no excitement for this game, you barely even heard it being promoted this week. NOBODY outside of Alabama or LSU fans were looking forward to this match up or this game.

It should've been OK St vs LSU. Atleast have a offense vs defense story line...not two teams who just beat their heads against a wall and two teams we already watched...it's like watching a crappy sequel. I like defense as much as the next guy, but this is ridiculous and will not keep people tuned in on a Monday night.

And this is without getting into the "how can a team play for a championship when they don't even win their conference" debate.

OK St vs LSU match up would be interesting. O vs D

TexanSam
01-09-2012, 11:06 PM
This is boring. I can't even watch anymore. Tons of talent on the defensive side of the ball for both teams, but besides Trent Richardson I don't know if anyone has much of a future in the pros on offense.

Carr Bombed
01-09-2012, 11:07 PM
if you love football you'll watch whether its another defensive knock down drag out or if its lights up the scoreboard. me personally i have no preference, i just want to see good football.......not entertaining football.

Not if you don't have a horse in the fight. TVs around the country flipped the switch a LONG time ago. Hell I'm flipping back and forth and I'm a die hard football fan. This has been one of the worst bowl games this year. Also "we" aren't the target audience here...we are the minority. they're trying to get "casual Joe" to tune in...casual Joe isn't watching this game.

All I'm saying is they FUBAR'ed the NC game this year... They could've given us a MUCH BETTER matchup.

P.S.

Kudos to us picking up "Cougar Life.com" as a sponsor :thumbup

Mr teX
01-09-2012, 11:08 PM
OK St vs LSU match up would be interesting. O vs D

no it wouldn't have.. LSU would've killed them. Ok. St. lost to friggin' Iowa St...they lost all claim to the title after that terrible loss.

ArlingtonTexan
01-09-2012, 11:12 PM

Yeah, I was being just a little snarky with my original comment, and don't disagree.

Mr teX
Not if you don't have a horse in the fight. TVs around the country flipped the switch a LONG time ago. Hell I'm flipping back and forth and I'm a die hard football fan. This has been one of the worst bowl games this year. Also "we" aren't the target audience here...we are the minority. they're trying to get "casual Joe" to tune in...casual Joe isn't watching this game.

All I'm saying is they FUBAR'ed the NC game this year... They could've given us a MUCH BETTER matchup.

P.S.

Kudos to us picking up "Cougar Life.com" as a sponsor :thumbup

LSU & Bama were clearly the 2 best teams this year.....and at the end of the day, that's what i wanted to see....not some contrived matchup to drum up a storyline to entertain someone who likely wasn't going to tune in full bore anyway. Screw the casual fan.

ArlingtonTexan
Never heard an announcer cheer so hard when a team crossed the 50 yardline.

Mr teX
01-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Absolutely a tremendous defensive performance by bama.

TexanSam
01-09-2012, 11:16 PM
LSU & Bama were clearly the 2 best teams this year.....and at the end of the day, that's what i wanted to see....not some contrived matchup to drum up a storyline to entertain someone who likely wasn't going to tune in full bore anyway. Screw the casual fan.

Are hardcore fans even tuning in at this point? This is a pathetically boring game. I thought LSU and Alabama were the best two teams as well, but after watching this game I wish it had been some other matchup.

playa465
01-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Bama defense is really good but LSU is playing like a poorly coached team. If the Tide wins this, I wonder what the final standings will be.

SAMURAITEXAN
01-09-2012, 11:19 PM
LSU is just about to be shut out which will be dissapointing. Hope, they be able to score.

Mr. Tex, ok I got it. I just wanted to see more O oriented team against LSU and let O vs D to decide the game and that is all. No question about how good the both teams are though. I find myself rooting for both teams which is a little weird feeling.

TexanSam
01-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Bama defense is really good but LSU is playing like a poorly coached team. If the Tide wins this, I wonder what the final standings will be.

My guess is

1. Bama
2. Ok. State
3. LSU
4. Oregon

SAMURAITEXAN
01-09-2012, 11:20 PM
TD by Richardson!

GlassHalfFull
01-09-2012, 11:21 PM
To me this is just another argument for a college football playoff. Mainly due to the fact that the teams are rusty as hell. At least of their were playoffs, they wouldn't be so unfocused.

Mr teX
Are hardcore fans even tuning in at this point? This is a pathetically boring game. I thought LSU and Alabama were the best two teams as well, but after watching this game I wish it had been some other matchup.

It'd b just as boring if no team could stop one another. ...edit, see ya LSU!!

ArlingtonTexan
TOUCHDOWN!!!!!

ooops on the xtra point

ArlingtonTexan
01-09-2012, 11:23 PM
TOUCHDOWN!!!!!

ooops on the xtra point

So now it looks like 3 TDS by Bama

Carr Bombed
LSU & Bama were clearly the 2 best teams this year.....and at the end of the day, that's what i wanted to see....not some contrived match up to drum up a storyline to entertain someone who likely wasn't going to tune in full bore anyway. Screw the casual fan.

Casual fans bring the money...not the die hards.

And as far as #1 and #2...that's HIGHLY HIGHLY debatable, regardless of how much you want to penalize OK st for having one let down game.

New rule needs to be put into motion....YOU CAN'T COMPETE FOR A NC TITLE IF YOU DON'T EVEN PARTICIPATE IN YOUR CONFERENCE CHAMP. GAME. LSU actually got penalized for winning that game against Bama...they had to play another week while Bama got a bye...now in what realm of reality does that make a lick of sense?

If you want to see two teams rematch it off in the NC game..fine have a playoff and let the team that lost earn their way back. If not, give someone else a shot.

Both of these view points don't really matter, because at the end of the day both sides won't be solved without a playoff.

HOLY CRAP a TD...FINALLY.

P.S.

There's no doubt in my mind that OK St. would've beat LSU tonight and you're lying to yourself if you think they didn't have a shot. LSU's offense sucks, especially after the layoff while Blackmon was Andre Johnson V2.0. If OK St played, they very well could be celebrating a NC title. :kubepalm: Give us a playoff already! Hell I'd settle for a +1

Texan_Bill
I'm watching, but I'm not happy that I've seen this before... LSU (who are little bitches) went into Tuscaloosa and beat they ass!!! (And Oh BTW, a terrible gam). Now, we getta see the same game in a neutral site????

Awesome :gun: NCAA pull your collective heads out of your asses.... This is (CB inspired), "just TURBBLE"!!!

SAMURAITEXAN
01-09-2012, 11:27 PM
By looking at just score, you would think Bama score 3 TD but not.

Carr Bombed
01-09-2012, 11:29 PM
To me this is just another argument for a college football playoff. Mainly due to the fact that the teams are rusty as hell. At least of their were playoffs, they wouldn't be so unfocused.

Yup, basically.. And I'll never stop beating that dead horse until this finally gets addressed.

They say the squeaky wheel gets greased first...well not in college football. when is this finally going to be addressed?

These are NOT championship games we are watching and have been watching (outside of a few rare years like '05)...they're nothing, but beauty pageants. Anybody who claims to be a serious football fan should see this as the scam that it really is. It's nothing, but a money grab where you have the same select "elitist programs" competing year in and year out. Sorry, that's not good football to me and not very entertaining either. It's actually anti climatic. With a playoff college football could be bigger than the NFL.

Texan_Bill
01-09-2012, 11:29 PM
SOOOOOOOO!!! At the end of the day, you lose at home, but play and beat that same team... This time on a nutreal site and now you're National Champs????

Shame on the NCAA!!! Dispiscable.... Pathetic!

A "REAL" playoff system wouldn't work??? REALLY????

There's pretty muchthe reason that this was only the second bowl game I watched this entire bowl season!!!!

TexanSam
01-09-2012, 11:32 PM
SOOOOOOOO!!! At the end of the day, you lose at home, but play and beat that same team... This time on a nutreal site and now you're National Champs????

Shame on the NCAA!!! Dispiscable.... Pathetic!

A "REAL" playoff system wouldn't work??? REALLY????

There's pretty muchthe reason that this was only the second bowl game I watched this entire bowl season!!!!

I don't any argument against a playoff. EVERY OTHER DIVISION IN THE NCAA HAS ONE!!! The NCAA is beyond stupid.

76Texan
01-09-2012, 11:33 PM
I agree with many of you guys about the pros and cons of this game.
How it's boring and the Saban's quote and all.

What I figure, however, is that Bama belongs in this championship game.
I love the Tigers defense, but I always thought their offense is a bit lacking.

It would have been nice (no offense to Tigers fans, I'm not a fan of either team) to see Bama (or the Tigers) going against a high scoring offense like OSU (or whatever team of your choosing).

Personally, I love both styles of football. (High scoring or low scoring).
But watching teams from different conferences fighting it out for the national championship would be my preference.

TexanSam
01-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Best part of this game is that it's causing Ben Tate, Derrick Ward, and Chris Ogbonnaya to talk trash to each other on twitter. Pretty funny

https://twitter.com/#!/DerrickWard32/status/156590917401313280
Watching this game is like watching @ArianFoster argue with @LVickers_47 at practice during the week!

https://twitter.com/#!/BenTateRB/status/156594198546612224
Watching this game is like watching @DerrickWard32 trying to run 18 toss or try to spell a word with more the 8 letters

https://twitter.com/#!/DerrickWard32/status/156591081205673984
Watching this game is like watching @ChrisOgbonnaya blow out the candles on his bday cake!

gwallaia
01-09-2012, 11:41 PM
I can't remember ever seeing a team get this completely dominated in a game.

ArlingtonTexan
01-09-2012, 11:41 PM
I agree with many of you guys about the pros and cons of this game.
How it's boring and the Saban's quote and all.

What I figure, however, is that Bama belongs in this championship game.
I love the Tigers defense, but I always thought their offense is a bit lacking.

It would have been nice (no offense to Tigers fans, I'm not a fan of either team) to see Bama (or the Tigers) going against a high scoring offense like OSU (or whatever team of your choosing).

Personally, I love both styles of football. (High scoring or low scoring).
But watching teams from different conferences fighting it out for the national championship would be my preference.

What I miss is the 27-24 games. The all offesne like Baylor/Washington is just boring to me as these two all defense games. Want to see good units get challenged and balanced football.

beerlover
01-09-2012, 11:42 PM
Before we can say it's a true "National Championship Game" there needs to be installed a playoff system, simple & sweet, which measures how effective a team is executing end of season. This was an absolute bore :mariopalm:

76Texan
01-09-2012, 11:42 PM
Best part of this game is that it's causing Ben Tate, Derrick Ward, and Chris Ogbonnaya to talk trash to each other on twitter. Pretty funny

https://twitter.com/#!/DerrickWard32/status/156590917401313280

https://twitter.com/#!/BenTateRB/status/156594198546612224

https://twitter.com/#!/DerrickWard32/status/156591081205673984

LOL, nice!

Carr Bombed
01-09-2012, 11:49 PM

And while we're on this BCS bash fest.. If they're not going to give us a playoff, can they atleast not give us almost a 2 month layoff before we see the "two best teams" face off?

Bama kicked their ass and I guess it's credit to whoever can stay sharp, but there shouldn't be a layoff like that. You take the chance of having a team come out totally flat and rusty, which makes for a bad football game. Kudos to Saben though for keeping his boys sharp and ready to go. I guess this is a by-product of having so many irrelevant bowl games. Cut the amount of bowl games and use the big bowl games as a playoff bracket. You can stick whatever teams don't qualify for the "playoff bracket" in the Texas Bowl or other similar irrelevant bowl games.

76Texan
01-09-2012, 11:52 PM
What I miss is the 27-24 games. The all offesne like Baylor/Washington is just boring to me as these two all defense games. Want to see good units get challenged and balanced football.

The only problem is that we can not dictate how the two best teams' makeups might be.

One year, let's say the two most deserving teams could have incredible offenses.
The next year both can have dominant defenses.
As a fan, I have no argument about either style; I can enjoy both.

It would be a great game to watch the Texans going against the Pats.
Hey, but Ravens-Texans is also a good match-up as well.

I guess if we're not fans of neither the Texans nor the Ravens, this coming match-up is not very sexy either.

TexanSam
01-09-2012, 11:54 PM
And while we're on this BCS bash fest.. If they're not going to give us a playoff, can they atleast not give us almost a 2 month layoff before we see the "two best teams" face off?

Bama kicked their ass and I guess it's credit to whoever can stay sharp, but there shouldn't be a layoff like that. You take the chance of having a team come out totally flat and rusty, which makes for a bad football game. Kudos to Saben though for keeping his boys sharp and ready to go. I guess this is a by-product of having so many irrelevant bowl games. Cut the amount of bowl games and use the big bowl games as a playoff bracket.

Completely agree. It was close to 50 days or something like that when Alabama last played a game. That's stupid. Each team is always going to have a long layoff, but they could at least shorten it by a week or week and a half. You're right, all those damn bowl games just make the season drag on and on and on. Who gives rat's ass about the Fight Hunger Bowl, Potato Bowl, Beef O'Brady's Bowl, and all the other lowly games.

There should be maybe 15 bowl games tops. There's what, 110+ FBS teams? Over half of them get to go to a bowl game which doesn't make sense. Reward the top 1/3 teams and that's it. Minimum 7-5 record to go to a bowl.

beerlover
01-09-2012, 11:55 PM
there is no reason why the current bowl configuration could be formulated like a sweet 16 then elite 8, final four then a true National Championship game. none.

Dutchrudder
01-09-2012, 11:58 PM
The only problem is that we can not dictate how the two best teams' makeups might be.

One year, let's say the two most deserving teams could have incredible offenses.

I guess if we're not fans of neither the Texans nor the Ravens, this coming match-up is not very sexy either.

lol, exactly. It's funny to hear self-ascribed diehards complain about it being a defensive oriented game after the last few weeks of the Texans' regular season were all defensive struggles. I love seeing great defenses tear apart an offense.

Bama just proved that they belonged in the NC. Their defense was the best in the country coming into this game, and it showed. Their defense flat out won this game. I think it's cool to see that as opposed to another NC shootout like we have just about every year. I really couldn't care less what Average Joe thinks about the game, I love football so I'm watching it. If touchdowns are all that matter to the fan, then they should go watch Arena football instead.

76Texan
01-10-2012, 12:00 AM

Greg, you don't think Coogs/Nitanny Lions had the same flavor of a different kind?

- Being a homer aside, that is.

GlassHalfFull
01-10-2012, 12:02 AM
there is no reason why the current bowl configuration could be formulated like a sweet 16 then elite 8, final four then a true National Championship game. none.

I would be happy with an 8 game playoff. Use the existing bowls as the playoff games. I think it would generate even more money, as the games become meaningful.

silvrhand
01-10-2012, 12:06 AM
- 6th national championship for the SEC.
- defenses win national championships in the SEC.
- someone is just butthurt the big 12 still isn't a rival conference.

I saw enough basketball scores for footballs games, personally I loved getting a good physical game. If you put either of those two offenses against any other team and they put up 30.

Lucky
01-10-2012, 12:10 AM
That had to be the worst display of QBing I've seen in a big game, by Jefferson. He really has no business playing QB. I realize that Bama (and LSU) has NFL players all over their defense. But Jefferson looked like he had never played the position before. I can't believe a major program like LSU doesn't have someone better on the roster.

76Texan
01-10-2012, 12:13 AM
lol, exactly. It's funny to hear self-ascribed diehards complain about it being a defensive oriented game after the last few weeks of the Texans' regular season were all defensive struggles. I love seeing great defenses tear apart an offense.

Bama just proved that they belonged in the NC. Their defense was the best in the country coming into this game, and it showed. Their defense flat out won this game. I think it's cool to see that as opposed to another NC shootout like we have just about every year. I really couldn't care less what Average Joe thinks about the game, I love football so I'm watching it. If touchdowns are all that matter to the fan, then they should go watch Arena football instead.

It's a free country; each and every one of us has his/her own preference.
I'm just glad that football is the most intricate sport for me to watch/share with others.
I love all the different opinions (as long as they are not too... you know).
- Same thing with politics.

Like I said, if my brother-in-law and I can have such different opinions about KJ and we still watch football together almost every week, we know we have something in common while retaining our own opinion just the same.

I don't see any problem with that. :bender:

Mr teX
01-10-2012, 12:15 AM

My point exactly...good football is good football whether it's offense or defense. As far as the BCS, yeah it's garbage but what are you going to do? the college presidents of BCS conferences don't want to give the "little man" conferences an opportunity to cut into their pocket books...& the BCS bowl officials seem to not care whether or not their bowls are seen as legit. It is what it is.

& you don't have to go 16 or even 8 teams deep for a playoff. 4 would suffice b/c usually only the top 3-4 teams have a legit claim to the title anyway. the 5th best team in the nation almost assuredly is going to have a loss or two..& them being left out of playing for the title is far less egregious than leaving out the 3rd & 4th best teams....especially if those teams have the same record as #1 & #2. Conference games should also either be included for every conference or done away with in every conference.

ArlingtonTexan
01-10-2012, 12:25 AM

Your overall point is accurate, because in a given year we don't know if the best team is strong on offense, defense or is balanced. I think in this case we already had a very good idea because of the first game. If this was the only one of these game, Alabama would get the true credit it deserves for a silly great performance, but since most us thought that LSU could not move the ball because we had that act before an understanding performance is largely getting underrated.

No to bring up this :deadhorse , but if these teams had earned the spots through a playoff the overall excitement would have been higher.

ArlingtonTexan
01-10-2012, 12:32 AM
On the Ravens-Texans thing, it is not a nationally sexy game, but (1) it the NFL and (2) there is tournament where the perception is that teams earn there way to title s and such versus having polls and computers tells us who is the best.

People would have been more excited about this match up if there was any kind of multi team playoff and these two made it back.

76Texan
01-10-2012, 12:49 AM
- 6th national championship for the SEC.
- defenses win national championships in the SEC.
- someone is just butthurt the big 12 still isn't a rival conference.

I saw enough basketball scores for footballs games, personally I loved getting a good physical game. If you put either of those two offenses against any other team and they put up 30.Detable, given what Lucky said.

I'm not sure LSU can put up 30 points against a legitimate contender.

Side note - It was great to meet great fans at the tailgate.
I'm really glad TB kinda forced me to go.

76Texan
01-10-2012, 12:54 AM
On the Ravens-Texans thing, it is not a nationally sexy game, but (1) it the NFL and (2) there is tournament where the perception is that teams earn there way to title s and such versus having polls and computers tells us who is the best.

People would have been more excited about this match up if there was any kind of multi team playoff and these two made it back.

Both of your points are well taken.

I'm neither a proponent nor an adversary of the play-off.
I only wish that however it comes out, the "smaller" programs don't get the shaft.

Carr Bombed
01-10-2012, 12:54 AM

Yeah, there's only ONE flaw in this argument.

The Texans earned their way and advanced to have that shot...hence the playoff. So I don't really see the comparison. They won their division (unlike Bama) and earned the opportunity through a playoff game....again, unlike Bama.

The two situations aren't really comparable at all....last I checked the NFL doesn't decide match ups by #s put into a computer. If the NCAA had a playoff game and this was the game we ended up with (Bama and LSU) nobody would complain at all, and MILLIONS more would've watched it. Hell in your analogy you'd have to include a "OK st. type team" into the mix of teams we could be facing next week (because of a playoff) and then who knows what would've happend? In your analogy....GB didn't even make the playoffs, because they lost to KC :rolleyes: (Ok St. losing to Iwoa st.)

The current system sucks and is not good for college football.

Hookem Horns
01-10-2012, 01:17 AM
Is it me or is college football in general becoming more boring? All of these stupid whogivesaratsass.com bowls that mean absolutely nothing are getting tired. What's funny is how these players after winning one of these stupid bowls are putting on the bowl champion hats and shirts like they really won something. Woohoo we might have had a 6-6 record but we just beat another irrelevant team and won the weknowourseasonreallysucked.com Bowl! Let's put on the hats and shirts, call ourselves champions and go to Disney Land!

When Texas played in the Holiday Bowl I totally didn't even realize it was on. I was channel surfing and stumbled on it in the 4th QTR and guess what, I kept right on surfing until I landed on Pawn Stars. Yeah, that's right .. watching Chumlee overspend for a fake mandolin was more entertaining then watching my own team play in some stupid game that has less meaning than a NFL preseason game.

If the current system didn't exist and someone proposed it everyone would think they are retarded or something.

What if we had this crap in the NFL? Would anyone seriously buy into it? What if instead of the last week of exciting playoff action we just witnessed we had the Jiffy Lube Lube Job Bowl in Bozeman, Montana featuring the Kansas City Chiefs vs the Philadelphia Eagles. The Eagles win and VY runs around with his Lube Job Bowl Champions hat and shirt pumping his chest celebrating that they are the Lube Job Bowl champions!

Then we anxiously await our bowl the following week because we had a decent season and are in a decent bowl. Maybe we (Texans) get up for playing the Lions in the Viagra Bowl (pun intended). Because we tanked the last 3 games we miss out on a major bowl though.

The 2 of the 3 major bowls end up with the Ravens vs Saints and the Niners vs Steelers. Awesome matchups! I am jacked!

However all of that is meaningless because the Super Bowl is the only bowl that matters. The computers and voters have decided that the Packers vs Patriots will play for the Super Bowl! This game is so huge that the ABC Network decides to air it on ESPN instead of ABC. Yeah!

Dutchrudder
01-10-2012, 01:31 AM

The Texans earned their way and advanced to have that shot...hence the playoff. So I don't really see the comparison. They won their division (unlike Bama) and earned the opportunity through a playoff game....again, unlike Bama.

The two situations aren't really comparable at all....last I checked the NFL doesn't decide match ups by #s put into a computer. If the NCAA had a playoff game and this was the game we ended up with (Bama and LSU) nobody would complain at all, and MILLIONS more would've watched it. Hell in your analogy you'd have to include a "OK st. type team" into the mix of teams we could be facing next week (because of a playoff) and then who knows what would've happend? In your analogy....GB didn't even make the playoffs, because they lost to KC :rolleyes: (Ok St. losing to Iwoa st.)

The comparison isn't about the importance of the game, it's about the type of game expected. Two top defensive teams with good running games and average passing ability. If it turns out to be a 12-7 game, I won't be complaining about it being a defensive struggle. Likewise I'm not complaining about this NC game because I like watching great defenses dominate.

Carr Bombed
01-10-2012, 01:35 AM
Is it me or is college football in general becoming more boring? All of these stupid whogivesaratsass.com bowls that mean absolutely nothing are getting tired. What's funny is how these players after winning one of these stupid bowls are putting on the bowl champion hats and shirts like they really won something. Woohoo we might have had a 6-6 record but we just beat another irrelevant team and won the weknowourseasonreallysucked.com Bowl! Let's put on the hats and shirts, call ourselves champions and go to Disney Land!

When Texas played in the Holiday Bowl I totally didn't even realize it was on. I was channel surfing and stumbled on it in the 4th QTR and guess what, I kept right on surfing until I landed on Pawn Stars. Yeah, that's right .. watching Chumlee overspend for a fake mandolin was more entertaining then watching my own team play in some stupid game that has less meaning than a NFL preseason game.

If the current system didn't exist and someone proposed it everyone would think they are retarded or something.

What if we had this crap in the NFL? Would anyone seriously buy into it? What if instead of the last week of exciting playoff action we just witnessed we had the Jiffy Lube Lube Job Bowl in Bozeman, Montana featuring the Kansas City Chiefs vs the Philadelphia Eagles. The Eagles win and VY runs around with his Lube Job Bowl Champions hat and shirt pumping his chest celebrating that they are the Lube Job Bowl champions!

Then we anxiously await our bowl the following week because we had a decent season and are in a decent bowl. Maybe we (Texans) get up for playing the Lions in the Viagra Bowl (pun intended). Because we tanked the last 3 games we miss out on a major bowl though.

The 2 of the 3 major bowls end up with the Ravens vs Saints and the Niners vs Steelers. Awesome matchups! I am jacked!

However all of that is meaningless because the Super Bowl is the only bowl that matters. The computers and voters have decided that the Packers vs Patriots will play for the Super Bowl! This game is so huge that the ABC Network decides to air it on ESPN instead of ABC. Yeah!

MONEY GRAB

That's all you need to know about college football.

The rich get richer and the "outsiders" get beat on the head and knocked back down to whatever irrelevant bowl game they fall into to. Rinse and repeat...SSDY. It has absolutely nothing to do with finding #1 and #2, but has more to do with feeding the same hands with plenty of greasy cash.

kiwitexansfan
01-10-2012, 01:37 AM
That had to be the worst display of QBing I've seen in a big game, by Jefferson. He really has no business playing QB. I realize that Bama (and LSU) has NFL players all over their defense. But Jefferson looked like he had never played the position before. I can't believe a major program like LSU doesn't have someone better on the roster.

I haven't watched any College ball this year, is Jefferson that bad? or is the Alabama defense that good?

Some of the balls he threw looked like the spinning practically end over end.

76Texan
01-10-2012, 01:42 AM

I have no intention of discussing whether the current system is better than a play-off system.

I merely want to point out that I love to watch either a defensive battle or a shootout, or anything in between.

And then, as a fan of the Texans, I will enjoy watching us play the Ravens.

If we happen to play in the SB against a great defense, I wouldn't complain at all. It may be a boring game for the rest of the fans all over the country because their choice of "high scoring offense" didn't make it. I get that.

But if you choose not to enjoy the SB for such reason, it's your loss, sorry!

Rey
01-10-2012, 01:44 AM
That game sucked. I stopped watching in the third quarter. And really, I don't mind the defensive slug fest or the match up, but jordan jefferson is awful. What happened to lee or whatever his name is? Lsu played different thanb they had played all year. The honey badger is immensely overrated. What happened to lsu's rb's? That was not a good game because lsu's offense failed to show up. Bama doesn't have the most wide open offensive attack, but they at least moved the ball. This game could have been really embarrasing for lsu if bama capatalized more. You cannot have a unit of a team play that poorly and say its a good game. Yes bamas defense is amazing, but you play THAT bad? Shame on them. Hopefully this leads to a play off system because that game sucked. Hookem nailed it. Let teams actually play meaningful games. Let teams be one loss away. Give the fans the best match ups possible. Let teams fight for it.

Carr Bombed
01-10-2012, 01:47 AM
The comparison isn't about the importance of the game, it's about the type of game expected. Two top defensive teams with good running games and average passing ability. If it turns out to be a 12-7 game, I won't be complaining about it being a defensive struggle. Likewise I'm not complaining about this NC game because I like watching great defenses dominate.

It has everything to do with the format. If these teams didn't already face off, fans would be screaming for this game. Sadly "We already saw it". Time to move on.

This was not the best match up that could've been presented...it simply wasn't. Alabama should've won the first game going away, the reason for the outcome tonight on a neutral field. It isn't even really about the two teams in this game, but has more to do with how we decide these "champions". I already said I don't mind a defensive struggle...but don't show me the same crap. There needs to be reform within college football and I only pray that the old cronies die off before I do and I can see that change. Money talks and B.S. walks though.. and apparently I have more B.S. :)

Mr teX
01-10-2012, 01:52 AM
I haven't watched any College ball this year, is Jefferson that bad? or is the Alabama defense that good?

Some of the balls he threw looked like the spinning practically end over end.

Kind of a combo of both....Moreso Bama is that good on defense though. Nobody is going to tell me that Jefferson couldn't have put up a better performance against a decidedly lesser defense in OK. St.

76Texan
01-10-2012, 01:53 AM

I can't say for anybody else, but it's been pretty much the same for me over the years.

No matter what the system, collegiate football has a different kind of drama.
IMO, it best remains an amateur system. And an amateur system should have its inherent flaws (which is also the beauty of it.)

Carr Bombed
01-10-2012, 01:57 AM
I have no intention of discussing whether the current system is better than a play-off system.

I merely want to point out that I love to watch either a defensive battle or a shootout, or anything in between.

And then, as a fan of the Texans, I will enjoy watching us play the Ravens.

If we happen to play in the SB against a great defense, I wouldn't complain at all. It may be a boring game for the rest of the fans all over the country because their choice of "high scoring offense" didn't make it. I get that.

But if you choose not to enjoy the SB for such reason, it's your loss, sorry!

So basically you're saying your argument has no bearing or relevance on the discussion at hand (because you can't compare the Texans to this Bama team). I don't mind a defensive struggle...I just want to see everyone get a fair shake and it did not happen. Also please tell me where I said I "do not choose to enjoy the SB for such reason"...what are you talking about?

I don't have a problem with a defensive game... I simply want everybody to be given a chance. OK St..(and you can name a dozen other programs over the years) should've been given that chance.

76Texan
01-10-2012, 02:03 AM
So basically your saying your argument has no bearing or relevance on the discussion at hand...because I said the same exact thing. (I don't mind a defensive struggle...I just want to see everyone get a fair shake and it did not happen) Also please tell me where I said I "do not choose to enjoy the SB for such reason"...

What are you talking about?

I don't have a problem with a defensive game... I simply want everybody to be given a chance. OK St..(and name a dozen other programs over the years) should've been given that chance.

We're talking about different things, because like I said, I don't care if it's a play-off system or a BCS system.

Given that we currently have a BCS system, this is a game that I have and I can choose to watch it or not (it will be the same thing if it's a play-off system.)

Your point is toward a play-off system.
My point is that I would choose to watch the game no matter what system.

Mr teX
01-10-2012, 02:04 AM
Detable, given what Lucky said.

I'm not sure LSU can put up 30 points against a legitimate contender.

Side note - It was great to meet great fans at the tailgate.
I'm really glad TB kinda forced me to go.

Not really. Potent Offense meets Stellar Defense. We've seen that act before & usually what happens is the stellar defense wins.

People make the mistake thinking that a great defense has to completely shut down a potent offense to be able to win & that's simply not true. All a great defense has to do is slow the potent offense down enough to give its team a chance. They also make the mistake thinking the SEC doesn't have the same caliber athletes to run wide open offenses. SEC teams don't play offense like that b/c they don't have the athletes to play any other way. Its just their style imo.

How many pts. was Oklahoma putting up a game in 2009 when they ran into Florida in the NC a few years back?

How about the Coogs this past year before Southern Miss sat on them?

Ok. St. offense was great this year...but more than a few times they wound up needing every bit of those points to win; look no further than their bowl game against stanford. You don't think that Bama or LSU's defense could have at minimum cut thier PPG in half...especially with time to prepare?

Now flip it around...You don't think the athletes on either Bama or LSU's offense could've scored 25-30 pts on OSU's 61st ranked defense?

Carr Bombed
01-10-2012, 02:06 AM
I can't say for anybody else, but it's been pretty much the same for me over the years.

No matter what the system, collegiate football has a different kind of drama.
IMO, it best remains an amateur system. And an amateur system should have its inherent flaws (which is also the beauty of it.)

What exactly do you find "amateur" about the current system?

High profile players are being paid and schools are making millions of these kids. The amateur system is a delusion and instituting a playoff system has nothing to do with their "amateur status". Are players that participate in march madness not "amateurs".

The current BCS system and a lack of a playoff system has nothing to do with "amateurism".

Carr Bombed
01-10-2012, 02:11 AM
edit

Carr Bombed
01-10-2012, 02:12 AM
We're talking about different things, because like I said, I don't care if it's a play-off system or a BCS system.

Given that we currently have a BCS system, this is a game that I have and I can choose to watch it or not (it will be the same thing if it's a play-off system.)

Your point is toward a play-off system.
My point is that I would choose to watch the game no matter what system.

Then what was the whole amateurism argument about? The BCS system has nothing to do with amateurism.

I will also continue to watch....just like I do with the NBA. I just will continue wanting more. Both games need a serious overhaul.

76Texan
01-10-2012, 02:36 AM
Then what was the whole amateurism argument about? The BCS system has nothing to do with amateurism.

I will also continue to watch....just like I do with the NBA. I just will continue wanting more. Both games need a serious overhaul.

There's no argument from me.
I wish we can retain "as much of an amateur" system as we can, that's all.

76Texan
01-10-2012, 02:48 AM
Not really. Potent Offense meets Stellar Defense. We've seen that act before & usually what happens is the stellar defense wins.

People make the mistake thinking that a great defense has to completely shut down a potent offense to be able to win & that's simply not true. All a great defense has to do is slow the potent offense down enough to give its team a chance. They also make the mistake thinking the SEC doesn't have the same caliber athletes to run wide open offenses. SEC teams don't play offense like that b/c they don't have the athletes to play any other way. Its just their style imo.

How many pts. was Oklahoma putting up a game in 2009 when they ran into Florida in the NC a few years back?

How about the Coogs this past year before Southern Miss sat on them?

Ok. St. offense was great this year...but more than a few times they wound up needing every bit of those points to win; look no further than their bowl game against stanford. You don't think that Bama or LSU's defense could have at minimum cut thier PPG in half...especially with time to prepare?

Now flip it around...You don't think the athletes on either Bama or LSU's offense could've scored 25-30 pts on OSU's 61st ranked defense?

You're right, I don't mean to underscore the Tigers offense.
Especially against the Cowboys.

euro-Texan
01-10-2012, 09:10 AM

Really? How old are you? I ask, because I understand most of the younger generation love TD-fests. It's ashame we can't get defenses like that in Texas. Wow! One of the best games I've ever watched.

Rey
01-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Kind of a combo of both....Moreso Bama is that good on defense though. Nobody is going to tell me that Jefferson couldn't have put up a better performance against a decidedly lesser defense in OK. St.

Sure he could have put up a better performance, but what does that mean?

He played awful. He didn't make a play all game long. He didn't do anything but stumble his way through that game.

I understand Bama has a great defense, but I've seen QB's put up a much better fight than what Jefferson did.

LSU's defense is no slouch either and Bama's offense isn't exactly a wide open track meet either...But the QB had a better game and it seemed that Bama had a much better gameplan.

Mucho credit to Bama's defense...they rock...

But LSU's offensive effort was absolutely atrocious on just about all fronts. Jefferson played like ****. The offensive gameplan seemed strange from the get go.

I realize bama ended up putting 21 points on the board, but you do realize they could have won with just one field goal right?

LSU's offense sucked ass last night and that was not all because of Bama's defense. They sucked despite that.

That is sometimes true, but usually stellar offense atleast makes the game interesting...

euro-Texan
01-10-2012, 09:17 AM
LSU's offense sucked ass last night and that was not all because of Bama's defense. They sucked despite that.

It's hard to shine when someone's stepping on your throat. The Alabama Defense brought every down. Almost penalty free hard hitting football. LSU should have tried Lee, but you have to credit Bama with LSU's lack of production.

rmartin65
01-10-2012, 09:19 AM
A lot of people dont seem to get that people are not saying the game was boring as **** because it was low scoring, but because it was just a boring ass game. Watching a great defense play is exciting, IF they are playing an offense that has a chance. LSU's offense had no chance. Plus, Alabama's offense was barely able to do anything. It was just a boring game.

Rey
01-10-2012, 09:23 AM
It's hard to shine when someone's stepping on your throat. The Alabama Defense brought every down. Almost penalty free hard hitting football. LSU should have tried Lee, but you have to credit Bama with LSU's lack of production.

No I don't have to and I'm not going to.

Don't get my argument wrong. I'm not saying that LSU should have lit up the score board...

But to play as pathetic as they did last night?

No, that was not all Bama. LSU sucked last night. period.

RazorOye
01-10-2012, 09:24 AM
One of the best games I've ever watched.

last night's game?

Doesn't even come close for me. Wasn't even the best Bowl Game in the Superdome featuring a Louisiana team this year.

Bama was superb on D. Played well b/w the 20s. LSU was laughable. In a game that was much more lopsided (Bama should've had more points, LSU fewer) than the final score, "best games" are usually the ones that feature some level of competition.

Last night's didn't. As an LSU fan, if the scores/performance had been reversed, it would not be "one of the best games I ever watched"

I didn't feel that the Giants/Falcons game this weekend was one of the best NFL playoff games I ever watched.

He played awful. He didn't make a play all game long. He didn't do anything but stumble his way through that game.

I understand Bama has a great defense, but I've seen QB's put up a much better fight than what Jefferson did.

LSU's defense is no slouch either and Bama's offense isn't exactly a wide open track meet either...But the QB had a better game and it seemed that Bama had a much better gameplan.

But LSU's offensive effort was absolutely atrocious on just about all fronts. Jefferson played like ****. The offensive gameplan seemed strange from the get go.

I realize bama ended up putting 21 points on the board, but you o realize they could have won with just one field goal right?

This.

Jefferson was putrid. It was evident from the first 3 series that were run the same way, that we needed to try something different on offense. That's not entirely on Jefferson, but as signal caller he bears a great deal of the blame. Poor decisions. Nothing downfield, even when WRs got open. Bobbled snaps. The OLine was atrocious. The gameplan was awful - actually, I like your word - "strange" - better. It was bizarre. And it never really changed.

Georgia Southern scored 21 points and ran for over 300 yards against Bama. An FCS team.

I'm not trying to take credit from Alabama - their defense played very, very well. But the offensive ineptitude was clear as well. Sloppy play. Poor blocking. Pre-snap penalties. Fumbled snaps. Lack of reads. Dropped balls. Etc.

Rey
01-10-2012, 09:32 AM
A lot of people dont seem to get that people are not saying the game was boring as **** because it was low scoring, but because it was just a boring ass game. Watching a great defense play is exciting, IF they are playing an offense that has a chance. LSU's offense had no chance. Plus, Alabama's offense was barely able to do anything. It was just a boring game.

Pretty much.

And really, I don't even mind how Bama's offense played. I would have liked to see them get more TD's, but LSU has a great defense too...But at least they were able to put some points on the board. At least they were able to had a game plan to move the ball.

LSU's defense was awesome last night considering their offense kept them on the field all game long. The blocked field goal....Holding Bama to field goals most of the game...IF LSU's offense would have showed up at all the game would have been a lot more fun to watch. That game could have been much worse in regards to the embarrasment level for LSU had Bama scored TD's instead of field goals. Bama's qb made some plays though to move the chains though...But LSU's defense is tough...

beerlover
01-10-2012, 09:39 AM

Alabama was prepared to stop LSU by shutting down Jefferson option offense. Very will coached & executed by Alabama. Meanwhile a shell shocked Les Miles did not make any adjustments, just kept repeating mistakes over & over & over again. For God sake's implement a passing attack, change QB's, penetrate middle DO something different.

The only reason I suffered through this massacre was to scout the NFL Draft eligible talent, dominated by defense but did come away with one interesting thought that just may earn a spot in one of my mock drafts. Stay tuned. :)

Kaiser Toro
01-10-2012, 09:45 AM
A perfect ending to a perfect format. :kitten:

Ole Miss Texan
01-10-2012, 09:53 AM
What a dominating performance by Bama. Not only that, but they looked incredibly polished. McCarron was making pro-style throws, just fitting it in exactly where it had to be. Bama's defense is just so good. And Saban, he's a damn good coach.

Three thoughts I had throughout the game.

1. Alabama just looks so polished and poised.
2. I wonder what all the detractors that wanted LSU vs. Oklahoma St. are going to say.
3. Why in the hell did Miles keep trotting out Jefferson and not Lee!!?

I think the BCS got it right by placing the two best teams in the nation in this game. No it probably wasn't going to be as exciting, but they placed the two best teams. Now looking back at the game and how awful LSU looked, I'm thinking an Alabama vs. Oklahoma St. game would have been better. But there's no way the BCS could NOT put LSU in the NC.

Would love to have a playoff system. And I don't like the idea of 4 super conferences and the conference champion of each goes. We'd just have similar event like this year where Bama wouldn't get to go but LSU would.

gwallaia
01-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Even though LSU was being totally dominated, I sat there figuring they would win 14-12 despite having less than 100 yards offense. Down 12-0, the LSU defense was giving the team the opportunity to win.

I was just waiting for the fumble recovery run for the TD or the punt return for a TD that never happened. One of the biggest plays of the game came when one of the LSU defenders blitzed, came in untouched and smacked McCarron. But McCarron held on to the ball and that was it. Alabama took LSU's biggest hit and did not flinch.

beerlover
01-10-2012, 10:25 AM
To top this off Alabama reportedly has the best recruiting class in the nation coming in next year, so even if 6 or 7 go pro they probably won't skip a beat. :mariopalm:

RazorOye
01-10-2012, 10:37 AM
To top this off Alabama reportedly has the best recruiting class in the nation coming in next year, so even if 6 or 7 go pro they probably won't skip a beat. :mariopalm:

It's going to be rough in the SEC West, for sure, in the coming years. The biggest encouragement I get as an LSU fan is that this year was not supposed to be "our year" - it was supposed to be next year and the coming ones.

The difference is the QBs of recent years vs. the QBs of the coming years. If they pan out, I like our chances. There's some dead space between Mettenberger (assuming he does work out) and Kiel (if he keeps his commitment and signs) - and I'm not sure who it will be. Lots of hype around the development/abilities of Jerrard Randall. And there's Stephen Rivers (Philip's younger brother) who stands tall in the pocket but is pretty skinny.

It certainly won't be easy, though.

I wish those rumors of Saban to UT had been true, though, lol

The1ApplePie
01-10-2012, 10:47 AM

Okie State vs. Stanford was the last good Bowl game we were getting this season.

Didn't watch much of this game as the first was boring was hell. Good defense but some of the worst offense I've ever seen.

The ESPN hyping really turned me off too. They tried to act like the first game was epic and this would be USC vs. Texas 2.0. I think the ratings for this are going to be low.

The1ApplePie
01-10-2012, 11:18 AM
The game got a pathetic 13.8 rating

Pretty much what it deserved

Rey
01-10-2012, 11:49 AM
And I don't like the idea of 4 super conferences and the conference champion of each goes. We'd just have similar event like this year where Bama wouldn't get to go but LSU would.

I'd be fine with that....

I remember back in the 90's when Dallas played SF in the conf championship game and both teams said that game felt like the actual superbowl....

I'm fine with that kind of format...If your conference play is basically like a tournament and if you don't win your conf then you can't be a part of the big 4 team bracket.

Doesn't matter if your conference happens to be the best...

But how it's set up now it would be like the NFL having said, SF and Dallas are the best two teams in the league...

We're going to skip over the AFC opponent and this will just be the superbowl.

Yeah...if those two teams played 4 times they may split those games, but with the 4 super conferences I think you'd have more of an NFL format except with so many teams going undefeated or having only one loss you'd put more emphasis on individual games.

If LSU and Alabama played a month from now, are you convinced that LSU would have no chance at winning that game?

Ole Miss Texan
01-10-2012, 12:12 PM
I'd like to see the BCS still used for the new playoff system.

At the end of the year, teams ranked 1-8 by the BCS make the playoff.

The first round matches up teams 1&8, 2&7, 3&6, 4&5. These games are played in the current Sugar, Fiesta, Orange and Rose Bowl games (which could rotate seeds each year).

The winners of each game advance to the next round. Which would mean only 2 new bowl games are added to the current mix. This also allows for new or additional sponsorship opportunities and revenue for the NCAA and Conferences that advance. Semi-championship game 1 and Semi-championship game 2.

The winner of each semi-championship game advances to the BCS National Championship Game (currently in place).

This still makes the BCS relevant and matches the "best" teams together in a playoff scenario.

This year: (1) LSU (2) Alabama (3) Oklahoma St. (4) Stanford (5) Oregon (6) Arkansas (7) Boise St. (8) Kansas St.

Sugar Bowl: 1 LSU vs. 8 Kansas St.
Fiesta Bowl: 2 Alabama vs. 7 Boise St.
Orange Bowl: 3 Oklahoma St. vs. 6 Arkansas
Rose Bowl: 4 Stanford vs. 5 Oregon

SC 1: 1 LSU vs. 4 Stanford
SC 2: 2 Alabama vs. 3 Oklahoma St.

BCS National Championship: ??? Wow this would be fun.

Dread-Head
01-10-2012, 02:08 PM
:headhurts: I see why Alabama says "roll tide" that's EXACTLY what they did to LSU. Damn...

Mr teX
01-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Sure he could have put up a better performance, but what does that mean?

I realize bama ended up putting 21 points on the board, but you do realize they could have won with just one field goal right?

That is sometimes true, but usually stellar offense atleast makes the game interesting...

I'm not trying to hear it. People know that the 2 best teams in the nation played last night, but b/c there was another team that they would've liked to have seen play to make it more "entertaining", it's a problem.

The reality is that the same people up in arms about Okie St. not getting a shot at the NC even though they had the same record as Bama are the same people that will categorically dismiss teams like Boise State & U of H...............even though they had the exact same record & exciting offenses as well;

& This is my main gripe with the BCS and college football in general. the litte conferences, through no fault of their own, will always be on the outside looking in no matter what the format is...short of a 24 team playoff anyway.

In NCAA basketball, most teams that get chosen for the field of 64 enter that tourney on completely level grounds; every team has the same shot at making it to the championship game regardless of who you played to get in & what conference you're apart of; none of that matters.......for the most part.

We all know what the score is for college football teams not in an AQ conferences. You have to:

-go undefeated.

-play a hellified OC schedule in which case noone decent will want to risk losing to you if you're any good.

- Win your games in blowout fashion..any down game where you only win by 10 pts folks will say "but they only beat ________ by this in their weak conference.."

And all of this is just to be considered to be able to be a BCS worthy team. Sure, you say, every team has to go through that to be considered..this is true, but non-aq schools are judged much more harshly if they somehow don't completely satisfy the above conditions & even if they do, there's still no chance they'll get to play for the NC and still a very good chance that they will be past over for a BCS conference bid.

PHAROAH
01-10-2012, 04:33 PM
BAMA had a great game plan and LSU had no offensive game plan.

Rey
01-10-2012, 04:45 PM
I'm not trying to hear it. People know that the 2 best teams in the nation played last night, but b/c there was another team that they would've liked to have seen play to make it more "entertaining", it's a problem.

Stop making assumptions.

I wanted to see them play again.

I commented on LSU's terrible offensive showing and how they made the game hard to watch because of it.

No need to read between the lines when I laid it out plain as day for you.

Yes Bama had a great defensive showing, but LSU did nothing offensively. Nothing. They didn't put up a fight at all. Just about any college offense could have done what they did.

Had it not been for their stellar defense on the other side this game would have been super ugly.

I did not want to see OLKA st...don't care anything about them...

I'm commenting on this game and it's lack of interest.

CretorFrigg
01-10-2012, 04:57 PM
One of the most boring games I've watched.

BCS system needs to change.

Mr teX
01-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Stop making assumptions.

I wanted to see them play again.

I commented on LSU's terrible offensive showing and how they made the game hard to watch because of it.

No need to read between the lines when I laid it out plain as day for you.

Yes Bama had a great defensive showing, but LSU did nothing offensively. Nothing. They didn't put up a fight at all. Just about any college offense could have done what they did.

Had it not been for their stellar defense on the other side this game would have been super ugly.

I did not want to see OLKA st...don't care anything about them...

I'm commenting on this game and it's lack of interest.

that part wasn't directed at you per se..just those who think that OSU should've been in the game over Bama b/c they put up points & the assumption that it would've made the game more entertaining b/c of their offense. It could've..but it also could've turned into OU vs. USC 2004 too.

Carr Bombed
01-10-2012, 05:17 PM
that part wasn't directed at you per se..just those who think that OSU should've been in the game over Bama b/c they put up points & the assumption that it would've made the game more entertaining b/c of their offense. It could've..but it also could've turned into OU vs. USC 2004 too.

If you think that the only reason "some people" wanted to see Ok ST is due to the fact that they put up points, then you clearly missed or just flat out ignored the entire argument, because that wasn't the only point made.

RazorOye
01-10-2012, 05:19 PM
One of the most boring games I've watched.

BCS system needs to change.

agree on both counts

I actually turned it off early. Maybe that hurts my LSU football fan cred, but at the beginning of the 4th quarter, down only two scores, and facing a 3rd and 4 in decent field position (our own 40 yd line), the play is to hand it off to the upback for a 1 yard goal-line-style collapse when we needed 4 yards. All those offensive players recruited and that's what you won?

I felt like the coaches had given up at that point. Even if they hadn't, I didn't want to see what else they had in store.

It was boring.

As for the second, the most talk about BCS changes than I've ever heard is coming out in recent hours.

e.g. from Businessweek

The BCS as we know it is going away (http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9S5GO500.htm)

The Bowl Championship Series as college football fans have come to know it is going away.

Over the next six months, the people who oversee the much-maligned postseason system will talk about how to deconstruct the system for crowning a national champion. In the tumultuous 14-year history of the BCS, never has there been more of an appetite for change among college football's leaders.

What the changes will be is hard to say because nearly everything seems to be up for discussion, from eliminating automatic bids to top-tier bowl games to creating a four-team playoff -- an idea that's known as the plus-one model.

What's not on the table is exactly what many football fans are clamoring for, a full-scale playoff that would require numerous teams to play additional games.

Still, there is likely to be a BCS extreme makeover in the 2014 season.

the AP reported that "50 to 60 possibilities for various changes were presented"

This first step might not be what we'd like. The Big Ten commissioner has said he didn't support a +1 playoff because it be a "slippery slope" that would lead to a real playoff.

Personally, I hope he's right.

Carr Bombed
01-10-2012, 05:30 PM
agree on both counts

I actually turned it off early. Maybe that hurts my LSU football fan cred, but at the beginning of the 4th quarter, down only two scores, and facing a 3rd and 4 in decent field position (our own 40 yd line), the play is to hand it off to the upback for a 1 yard goal-line-style collapse when we needed 4 yards. All those offensive players recruited and that's what you won?

I felt like the coaches had given up at that point. Even if they hadn't, I didn't want to see what else they had in store.

It was boring.

As for the second, the most talk about BCS changes than I've ever heard is coming out in recent hours.

e.g. from Businessweek

The BCS as we know it is going away (http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9S5GO500.htm)

the AP reported that "50 to 60 possibilities for various changes were presented"

This first step might not be what we'd like. The Big Ten commissioner has said he didn't support a +1 playoff because it be a "slippery slope" that would lead to a real playoff.

Personally, I hope he's right.

Finally.. A plus one is a lesser evil and I'll take that for now.

I also like the idea of getting rid of automatic bids...maybe we'll see more schools like Houston and Boise St in the big bowl games.

Goldensilence
01-10-2012, 06:05 PM
I called it. Snooze Bowl 2012. I was so glad I had to work, because I might have been tempted to turn the game on and watch.

TexansLucky13
01-10-2012, 06:34 PM
I called it. Snooze Bowl 2012. I was so glad I had to work, because I might have been tempted to turn the game on and watch.

I was in the same boat. I'm glad Bama won though

RazorOye
01-10-2012, 07:21 PM

I wish I'd have made the decision to go to bed sooner.

Up at 4:30 to freeze my ass off for a run... I could've used the zzzzzz's

thunderkyss
01-10-2012, 08:10 PM
The reality is that the same people up in arms about Okie St. not getting a shot at the NC even though they had the same record as Bama are the same people that will categorically dismiss teams like Boise State & U of H...............even though they had the exact same record & exciting offenses as well;

& This is my main gripe with the BCS and college football in general. the litte conferences, through no fault of their own, will always be on the outside looking in no matter what the format is...short of a 24 team playoff anyway.

I don't agree with that. I don't believe Stanford should have been in the title game. & I don't think Alabama is the #2 team in the country. I like OSU as #2. Not because I think it would have been more entertaining, but because I think they are a better team than Alabama.

Lucky
01-10-2012, 08:20 PM
LSU never had a potent offense. They had a opportunistic offense, that for most of the season took advantage of turnovers and great field position to score points. But, they were never potent. And I'm not suggesting that Jarrett Lee is a great, or even good, QB. But he did move the ball better than Jefferson. The switch full time to Jefferson was a horrible call by Miles (who should have realized that after the SEC Championship game). That Miles never recruited anyone better than Lee or Jefferson is why Bama is holding the BCS trophy.

Texecutioner
01-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Finally.. A plus one is a lesser evil and I'll take that for now.

I also like the idea of getting rid of automatic bids...maybe we'll see more schools like Houston and Boise St in the big bowl games.

I think it's pathetic that they would change the BcS and only make it a plus one game. If you're going to change it, than fix the damn thing completely. The BcS has been so trash over the years that I just lost a lot of interest in college football once again. A lot of it has to do with not being able to devote my Saturday and my Sunday to football, but I just hate all of the politics and bull**** that has to do with college football. I always laugh when certain die hard college fans try putting up that ridiculous argument that college football is better than the NFL. They'll never be on the same level unless they adopt a full playoff tournament with at least 8 to 16 teams or something like that.

texanhead08
01-10-2012, 10:32 PM
I don't agree with that. I don't believe Stanford should have been in the title game. & I don't think Alabama is the #2 team in the country. I like OSU as #2. Not because I think it would have been more entertaining, but because I think they are a better team than Alabama.

Stanford didn't even win their division of their conference just like Alabama. I don't think they should have been in the game, but Okie Light kind of screwed their selves in this argument by losing to frigging Iowa St.

I have wondered the past 4yrs how a team with 4 and 5 star players at every other position could keep running out Jefferson or Lee at QB. Those guys wouldn't deserve to start at a Sun Belt school and they were the starting QB's at ****ing LSU. You have got to be kidding me.

Mr teX
01-10-2012, 10:57 PM
If you think that the only reason "some people" wanted to see Ok ST is due to the fact that they put up points, then you clearly missed or just flat out ignored the entire argument, because that wasn't the only point made.

I paid attention to your argument, it just doesn't make much sense.

For 1 the BCS crap affects every team except for Notre Dame.

#2 why would more fans want to watch a game with Okie St. in it more than a game with Bama in it? I doubt casual fans would care any more than they normally would b/c OK St isn't exactly notre dame; & hardcore fans would likely watch anyway.

#3 the whole BCS angle of your argument could be made for teams with similar records.
So then all it becomes why Ok. St. over Boise? Or why Ok. St over U of H etc...

#4 If a team wasn't elgible to play in the NC b/c they didn't win their conference you arguably would have more problems as you'd be forced to only pick teams that won their conference...& as we know the team who wins the conference isn't always the better team. see K-State in 2003, OU in 2010 who basically got to the big 12 title game off of a seemingly ridiculous tiebreaker at the time. That's not even taking into account the scenarios where the 2 best teams in a particular conference are in the same division but don't get the chance to battle it out in the conference championship...see Texas & OU every damn year & most recently Bama & LSU 2011. Hell, just eliminating that would do alot of the sorting for the BCS.

Anyway, Once you get past these 4 things (especially #3 & 4) then it justs a matter of preference in which case you're getting away from what should be the ultimate goal in the 1st place..matching the 2 best teams against 1 another.

Yes, the BCS is garbage but i can't say that it truly failed this year b/c the 2 best teams in the nation did get matched up..it just happened to be a rematch.

LonerATO
01-10-2012, 11:32 PM

The same OKST team that beat A&M by one point, the same OKST team that barely beat K State and the same OKST team that lost to ISU? I'm sure they are better than Alabama. I am no supporter of the SEC, but I do believe the two best teams played last night. After OU got blown out by USC in 04, Auburn was saying that they should have been in that game and not OU. Auburn did get co-national championship, but no one remembers them for having that because they never played in the game.

RazorOye
01-11-2012, 08:07 AM
I have wondered the past 4yrs how a team with 4 and 5 star players at every other position could keep running out Jefferson or Lee at QB. Those guys wouldn't deserve to start at a Sun Belt school and they were the starting QB's at ****ing LSU. You have got to be kidding me.

this is what every LSU fan, everywhere has also wondered.

I think they felt that Ryan Perriloux was going to be that QB - but we see how that turned out. Ouch...

Since then? Jefferson? Lee? Hatch? it's been pretty painful. Why recruit playmakers and not get someone who can get the ball to them?

Message received.

It's why they pressed so hard for JUCO transfer Zach Mettenberger (from UGA who'd beat out Aaron Murray before he was dismissed). It's why they recruited Rivers and Randall. It's why they put the full court press on Gunner Kiel and woo'd him from Notre Dame. He's our most hyped QB prospect ever.

Hopefully that QB tide is turning and we can turn back Alabama's tide in the coming years

Blake
01-11-2012, 09:19 AM
The same OSU team that beat A&M by one point, the same OSU team that barely beat K State and the same OSU team that lost to ISU? I'm sure they are better than Alabama. I am no supporter of the SEC, but I do believe the two best teams played last night. After OU got blown out by USC in 04, Auburn was saying that they should have been in that game and not OU. Auburn did get co-national championship, but no one remembers them for having that because they never played in the game.

Question. Lets say in a parallel universe, OKST made the big dance vs. LSU or Alabama and OKST won. How would you feel about them? How would you rank the top 3 teams?

I feel there is no way to tell who are the best 2 teams in a season. The outcome of a single game only shows you who was the best team that night. Nothing more. Rather than ranking them 1-10, I would say the top 10 teams are 5 star teams. They all have the ability to win vs. any team in the nation.

Football is a horse of a different color. You get very few games to prove yourself. The NBA and NHL play multiple 7 game series. There is little doubt of who the cream of the crop is after a team wins 3 series. Obviously not an option for Football. We just have to fill in the gaps with our own assumptions. And frankly that leaves alot to be desired.

Mr teX
01-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Question. Lets say in a parallel universe, OKST made the big dance vs. LSU or Alabama and OKST won. How would you feel about them? How would you rank the top 3 teams?

I feel there is no way to tell who are the best 2 teams in a season. The outcome of a single game only shows you who was the best team that night. Nothing more. Rather than ranking them 1-10, I would say the top 10 teams are 5 star teams. They all have the ability to win vs. any team in the nation.

Football is a horse of a different color. You get very few games to prove yourself. The NBA and NHL play multiple 7 game series. There is little doubt of who the cream of the crop is after a team wins 3 series. Obviously not an option for Football. We just have to fill in the gaps with our own assumptions. And frankly that leaves alot to be desired.

if u say that then u have to dismiss the NCAA b-ball champs too b/ c they only get to play 1 game for all the marbles. Yet we dont say that b/c march madness champs r crowned through a tourney format. if we had the same format in college football & we still had the same rematch championship game, i wonder if people would be up in arms then.

Rey
01-11-2012, 09:49 AM
if u say that then u have to dismiss the NCAA b-ball champs too b/ c they only get to play 1 game for all the marbles. Yet we dont say that b/c march madness champs r crowned through a tourney format. if we had the same format in college football & we still had the same rematch championship game, i wonder if people would be up in arms then.

Mr Tex...What exactly is your argument here?

Are you saying that you like the current format as is?

I'm honestly curious because I have lost track of what is exactly being debated here...

Blake
01-11-2012, 10:43 AM

Yeah bball is kinda in the same group. I think the NHL and NBA do the best job of forcing the cream of the crop to rise with their playoff format, and I do understand that a best of 7 is not pheasable in football.

On the other hand, a one and done format makes for more excitement, and an anything can happen atmosphere. The only downside is that you wont have the favored team win and advance every-time.

Rey
01-11-2012, 10:46 AM
The only downside is that you wont have the favored team win and advance every-time.

Not really a downside to that IMO...