PDA

View Full Version : Should Derrick Ward Get More Carries?

gary
01-09-2012, 01:33 PM
I am just curious why he has not been getting any carries it seems like to me. I have seen him in the game on special teams but not really running the football. Tate and Foster both rock but Ward would keep both of them fresh and look at how many running backs New Orleans uses during their games. Any thoughts? I am just wondering but not complaining about it. Thanks.

infantrycak
01-09-2012, 01:38 PM
Why trot your third string RB out in the playoffs when your 1st and 2nd string 4 down backs are healthy?

Ryan
01-09-2012, 01:38 PM
I could see him getting 3-5 carries per game but any more than that would probably be a stretch.

disaacks3
01-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Why trot your third string RB out in the playoffs when your 1st and 2nd string 4 down backs are healthy?

Yep, you rest starters FOR the playoffs, not IN the playoffs.

Texecutioner
01-09-2012, 01:42 PM
It's hard enough getting enough carries for Tate as it is. Ward has played well when called in, but he has Tate and Foster in front of him and we need those guys out there in the playoffs Gary.

Wolf6151
01-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Ward's a good RB, I'd give him a few carries per game just to take some of the load off of Foster and Tate but in the playoffs you go with your best man and that's Foster.

ArlingtonTexan
01-09-2012, 01:43 PM
The simple answer is that foster is better down-in, down-out RB back than any of the Saints RB. He did not look like he needed rest in the 4th quarter the last game.

amazing80
01-09-2012, 01:46 PM
No, I am a firm believer of guys getting a groove for the game and getting stronger as they go on. Foster, AND to an extent Tate, are exactly that. They start off kind of then BOOM just explode as the defense wears down. And when Foster is not in the groove Tate has been. IF both were playing crappy in the game, THE MAYBE, just maybe consider Ward, but if it were me, I would just continue to roll Foster out there because he is an elite player and elite players makes things happen when the times get tough.....

gary
01-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Juses, I am just talking about a few carries if you have him use him.

thunderkyss
01-09-2012, 01:51 PM
I am just curious why he has not been getting any carries it seems like to me. I have seen him in the game on special teams but not really running the football. Tate and Foster both rock but Ward would keep both of them fresh and look at how many running backs New Orleans uses during their games. Any thoughts? I am just wondering but not complaining about it. Thanks.

The thing about New Orleans, is that they have 3 different style running backs. Since they all bring something different to the table, the OC finds ways to get them in the game.

Foster pretty much does everything. Tate is a close second, also very well rounded. Ward, while a good back, doesn't bring anything new to the table.

Juses, I am just talking about a few carries if you have him use him.

If you're not going to like the answer, you shouldn't ask the question?

gary
01-09-2012, 01:56 PM
The thing about New Orleans, is that they have 3 different style running backs. Since they all bring something different to the table, the OC finds ways to get them in the game.

Foster pretty much does everything. Tate is a close second, also very well rounded. Ward, while a good back, doesn't bring anything new to the table.

If you're not going to like the answer, you shouldn't ask the question?
Because there is no need to think that I want Ward to start.

BigBull17
01-09-2012, 02:03 PM
The only reason would be if Tate or Foster got overwhelmed. Your 3rd string RB stays on the bench. If Foster had continued to fumble and jump offsides, then maybe you think about it, but no.

gary
01-09-2012, 02:10 PM
So no one agrees with me and that is fine to each their own.

TimeKiller
01-09-2012, 02:11 PM
If all goes to plan right now, Ward will only see special teams from here on out. Foster is a hoss and Tate does a damn good impression of one. Ward is a solid option at #3 but I think it would be a bit of a dilemma if he sees even one carry for the rest of the season. It's not Ward, he's good. It's Foster and Tate. They're better.

gary
01-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Yes, they are better but I still think all three should be used but I am not angry either.

welsh texan
01-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Yes, they are better but I still think all three should be used but I am not angry either.

Gary, whilst I can't agree with giving Ward any real game-time given the context that we're heading into the divisional playoffs (to me, like everyone else it seems, you just don't take your #1 & #2 out of the game unless it becomes necessary).

That said, this is something I do think should have happened more in the regular season, Ward should have been getting a few reps a game when healthy, to slightly lower the number of reps on the other 2 guys. He also should have been getting loads of reps in blowouts where we were just running the clock and seeing out the 4th quarter.

That said, when I'm complaining about the lack of use our 3rd string running back has had, I must be pretty freaking content!!

steelbtexan
01-09-2012, 03:08 PM
In the playoffs you dont use your 3rd team RB, except in cases of emergency/blowout.

Ward is going to look pretty good playing for the Lions/Giants next yr.

MannyFresh
01-09-2012, 03:13 PM
In the playoffs you dont use your 3rd team RB, except in cases of emergency/blowout.

Ward is going to look pretty good playing for the Lions/Giants next yr.

He'd make great trade bait with other options for another respectable true #2 WR thats for sure.

Hardcore Texan
01-09-2012, 03:14 PM
I wonder if he is any good at KR? But that's about it. Foster and Tate are much, much better. I'd rather not see Ward on offense, cause that means the other two are healthy.

Blake
01-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Should Derrick Ward Get More Carries?

You are probably right. He should be carrying more helmets and shoulder pads.

While I like Ward as a player, as long as Foster and Tate are healthy, Ward is a nice insurance policy.

HJam72
01-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Both Foster and Tate could take 70% or more of the carries, and both do everything as good or better than Ward, depending on exactly what it is. That leaves -40% of the carries for Ward...

I don't think it's gonna happen.

Ward is a darn good player to have as a last resort though, and I do appreciate him being there just in case we need him. I'm sure he believe he could be a starter somewhere and....meh, he might be right. He'd be a lot better than some of the starters we've had in the past.

Gary, I think you're just feeling sympathetic. I'm sure he's compensated well. :)

JCTexan
01-09-2012, 03:30 PM

I understand keeping all three fresh but I would imagine Tate was quite 'fresh' only having nine carries this game.

steelbtexan
01-09-2012, 03:36 PM
He'd make great trade bait with other options for another respectable true #2 WR thats for sure.

Is Ward a FA after this yr?

If not a trade with the Packers for James Jones would be a great fit.

That or a 3rd rd pick.

ArlingtonTexan
01-09-2012, 03:38 PM

That or a 3rd rd pick.

Pretty sure he is free agent after this year, but he is 31 years old and would have about zero trade value.

El Tejano
01-09-2012, 03:50 PM
I think it has to do with Ward's value on the special teams unit. With all the injuries that took place on the team I'm sure his value as a player is on the special teams and that's where we need him.

gary
01-09-2012, 03:51 PM
The Giants use Bradshaw, Jacobs, and Ware so it is not unheard of to use all three.

JCTexan
01-09-2012, 03:58 PM
The Giants use Bradshaw, Jacobs, and Ware so it is not unheard of to use all three.

Not unheard of but there's no reason to use all three. Tate only had nine carries himself.

EllisUnit
01-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Both Foster and Tate could take 70% or more of the carries, and both do everything as good or better than Ward, depending on exactly what it is. That leaves -40% of the carries for Ward...

I don't think it's gonna happen.

Ward is a darn good player to have as a last resort though, and I do appreciate him being there just in case we need him. I'm sure he believe he could be a starter somewhere and....meh, he might be right. He'd be a lot better than some of the starters we've had in the past.

Gary, I think you're just feeling sympathetic. I'm sure he's compensated well. :)

i dunno man, i like the way ward runs. He is a no B.S runner, he says juke em, F it i will run em over haha. And he is very slippery without trying to be. I think Ward would be a good change of pace back for the play offs. Use all ur tools especially in the play offs. IMO

darnbni99a
01-09-2012, 04:25 PM
um....

No.

Joeycharp89
01-09-2012, 04:51 PM
It wouldn't hurt to use him, but it wouldn't be that beneficial either. You rarely see him go for negative yards, but he doesn't have as many breakout runs as Tate or Foster. Of course he has few opportunities, but I just don't think he has as many big plays in him as our two young starters do. It may not hurt to throw him in 2-3 times to mix things up, throw in a different run style, but if Foster and Tate are working, why rock the boat?

infantrycak
01-09-2012, 04:55 PM

Ware had 46 carries this season. Ward had 45.

gary
01-09-2012, 05:04 PM
i dunno man, i like the way ward runs. He is a no B.S runner, he says juke em, F it i will run em over haha. And he is very slippery without trying to be. I think Ward would be a good change of pace back for the play offs. Use all ur tools especially in the play offs. IMOThis. He is already getting paid anyway.

thunderkyss
01-09-2012, 05:10 PM
This. He is already getting paid anyway.

It's really just an odd time to even bring this up. At the beginning of the season... the middle of the season.... I think it would be worth having the discussion.

But now? We're going to the divisional round, after our first play-off win ever....... why change?

gary
01-09-2012, 05:19 PM
It's really just an odd time to even bring this up. At the beginning of the season... the middle of the season.... I think it would be worth having the discussion.

But now? We're going to the divisional round, after our first play-off win ever....... why change?What change? I am not going to call Gary and make demands because that won't do any good. All this is just my opinion.

JCTexan
01-09-2012, 05:26 PM
This. He is already getting paid anyway.

I like Ward well enough but if he gets more carries then it would take away from either Foster or Tate. Tate only had nine carries against the Bengals, three of which came in the final possession when the game was in the bag. If anybody should get more carries it should be Tate not Ward (IMO).

Allstar
01-09-2012, 06:05 PM

That or a 3rd rd pick.
http://wiki.urbandead.com/images/4/4e/Seinfeld3.gif

False Start
01-09-2012, 06:07 PM
No.

If Ward is getting significant carries, something is gonna be real bad, as in Arian, or Ben going down.

EllisUnit
01-09-2012, 06:10 PM
I like Ward well enough but if he gets more carries then it would take away from either Foster or Tate. Tate only had nine carries against the Bengals, three of which came in the final possession when the game was in the bag. If anybody should get more carries it should be Tate not Ward (IMO).

I'm sorry but tate has been virtually ineffective of late.

ObsiWan
01-09-2012, 06:15 PM

Don't use New Orleans as your measuring stick. They have three totally different kinds of RBs.

- P. Thomas is kind of like Tate, IMHO. Can run outside or between the tackles.
- Chris Ivory is their bull. Straight ahead, run over anyone in the way, type guy. Tate does that for us at times too.
- Pierre Thomas is the definitive "change-of-pace" RB. Much quicker than Thomas and much faster than Ivory. Just as much of a serious threat "in space" than Reggae Bush ever was; maybe moreso. Foster can do this for us because of his smooth moves. But even Arian isn't as quick as Sproles is.

IMHO, Ward is a "system back". He excels at getting the most out of how the play is designed to work, by letting his blockers do their jobs and taking advantage of whatever is there. He's not really going to run over anyone like Tate or fake defenders out a la Arian. And he sure isn't quick like Sproles.

All that to say that, Ward, while he's good in our system, doesn't bring anything extra special to the table that would warrant taking touches away from Foster or Tate and giving them to him.

ObsiWan
01-09-2012, 06:21 PM

You're comparing him to Foster.

In the Cincy game he was 9 carries for 37 yds is 4.1 per... That's not exactly suckage. But it looks like it when you compare it to Arian. If you can depend on 4.1 yd/carry from our RB, that will keep the offense "on schedule". And he does have the ability to break one like he did against Tenn.

Kubiak is just riding the hot back, and that's Foster.

do you blame him?

rush2112mn
01-09-2012, 06:53 PM
He would have to beat out Tate for 2nd position....I dont see that happening.....Ward is your insurance policy

EllisUnit
01-09-2012, 06:55 PM
You're comparing him to Foster.

In the Cincy game he was 9 carries for 37 yds is 4.1 per... That's not exactly suckage. But it looks like it when you compare it to Arian. If you can depend on 4.1 yd/carry from our RB, that will keep the offense "on schedule". And he does have the ability to break one like he did against Tenn.

Kubiak is just riding the hot back, and that's Foster.

do you blame him?

I just mean he hasnt looked as good as he did earlier in the season.

TexanSam
01-09-2012, 07:10 PM

I thought so too, but he did pretty well against Tennessee. He did have some games in the later part of the season where he just disappeared though. I wouldn't be against Ward getting some more carries over Tate, but only if Tates struggles early in the game when he relieves Foster.

Texan_Bill
01-09-2012, 07:26 PM
He would have to beat out Tate for 2nd position....I dont see that happening.....Ward is your insurance policy

/END Thread!

BTW, I heard a story where it was Derrick Ward that approached Kubiak to tell him to put Foster back in. Told Kubiak (paraphrased), "he's fine, he's ready".. If true a very classy move from a veteran.

JCTexan
01-09-2012, 09:25 PM

He had a bad game against the Colts (6 rushes for -1 yard). Besides that he didn't have a game where he averaged less than 3.7 yards per rush. Tate averaged 5.4 yards rushing the ball this year, a whole yard better on average than Foster (4.4 yards per rush for Foster). Foster had seven games where he averaged less than 3.7 per attempt (Miami, Oakland, Baltimore, Jacksonville x2, Atlanta & Cincinnati). For comparison sake Ward averaged 3.4 yards per attempt this year.

machineo
01-09-2012, 11:02 PM
The Giants were also last in rushing yards per game. If Ahmad didn't have his foot operation, Ware wouldn't be getting any looks. Likewise with the Saints, Sproles isn't built to handle 15 touches a game, so Thomas and eventually Ivory are given the chance to handle the short yards and between-the-tackles runs that Ingram was struggling with.

Having too many capable rb's is a great problem to have, but if this team is running 30 times a game, 20 to Foster and 10 to Tate already sounds like the floor for their workload if they're healthy.

Texansfan2105
01-09-2012, 11:06 PM
He had a bad game against the Colts (6 rushes for -1 yard). Besides that he didn't have a game where he averaged less than 3.7 yards per rush. Tate averaged 5.4 yards rushing the ball this year, a whole yard better on average than Foster (4.4 yards per rush for Foster). Foster had seven games where he averaged less than 3.7 per attempt (Miami, Oakland, Baltimore, Jacksonville x2, Atlanta & Cincinnati). For comparison sake Ward averaged 3.4 yards per attempt this year.

I say we release Tate for maybe a good draft pick or hell maybe even a decent receiver

CretorFrigg
01-09-2012, 11:13 PM
I say we release Tate for maybe a good draft pick or hell maybe even a decent receiver

...and let Foster carry the team? He's not going to last too long if he's the sole, featured back.

You don't release a budding, 2nd round talent. Without Tate, we're an injury away from a 30+ year old, 6.9 40-yard dash time RB starting.

ChrisG
01-09-2012, 11:15 PM

Why is it every time we get a good player someone wants to trade him for an unknown player that might b good.

They run two different styles for two different situations

Allstar
01-09-2012, 11:55 PM

I'd like to submit my early vote for worst post of 2012 :kubepalm:

PapaL
01-10-2012, 06:13 AM
I'd like to submit my early vote for worst post of 2012 :kubepalm:

I concur...

Texn4life
01-10-2012, 06:54 AM
I like Ward for the role he fills, but that's what it is. He brings veteran leadership, and is a guy who's won a Super Bowl. I read somewhere where Arian complimented him for helping him develop as a back.

In saying that though, he doesn't need to take carries away from our top 2 backs. He's likely playing his last few games as a Texans. We'll be able to get a younger, cheaper back either in FA or in the draft this year.