PDA

View Full Version : The Wade Phillips Thread - Status: Not a Candidate for Tampa

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ryan
01-05-2012, 06:08 PM
I guess people may have taken it the wrong way that I ought to be a head coach, Phillips said. I dont believe that. I think I should be considered. If you look at my record, and you can look at all the people theyre talking about now, my record is better than most everyone theyre talking about as a head coach, Im talking about. If you want a winner, if you want experience, you know, Id like to talk about it.

But this is the best job Ive had. It couldnt be a better job than this right now, and if we keep going the way I think were going to go and were going to be good for a long time, especially defensively, I think so, you know, Im not looking to go anywhere. I enjoyed being a head coach, I enjoyed the winning, and were winning here, so thats important, too, but I think I could help anybody.

http://blog.houstontexans.com/2012/01/05/phillips-im-not-looking-to-go-anywhere/

Rey
01-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Sounds like he wants to be a head coach again to me.

honored82
01-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Sounds like he wants to be the head coach of Texans.
Wants to be a Head coach and does not wanna leave Houston....lol

Rey
01-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Wants to be a Head coach and does not wanna leave Houston....lol

Yeah...It actually does...:clap:

Jaysol
01-05-2012, 06:52 PM
When I first heard Wade had taken the job here as DC after being fired from his Dallas HC job, one thing came to mind.

He thinks Kubes will likely get fired soon and will be able to move up to the HC spot. You would have to be a fool to not think that talk didn't come up while McNair was interviewing Wade for the DC job.

Little did he know, by helping improve our defense, he has secured Kubes future here for at least another year.

Double Barrel
01-05-2012, 06:57 PM
"...and we’re going to be good for a long time, especially defensively, I think..."

I know Wade did not mean it this way, but yeah, it does sound like he'd like Gary's job. I thought the above quote was just funny in a devious-in-my-mind sort of way.

I hope we see a Gary/Wade coached team for at least another 3-4 years based on this season. Keep adding players and experience, and anything can happen.

Jaysol
01-05-2012, 07:00 PM
I know Wade did not mean it this way, but yeah, it does sound like he'd like Gary's job. I thought the above quote was just funny in a devious-in-my-mind sort of way.

I hope we see a Gary/Wade coached team for at least another 3-4 years based on this season. Keep adding players and experience, and anything can happen.

+1 Definitely the way I feel.

Buffi2
01-05-2012, 07:32 PM
When I first heard Wade had taken the job here as DC after being fired from his Dallas HC job, one thing came to mind.

He thinks Kubes will likely get fired soon and will be able to move up to the HC spot. You would have to be a fool to not think that talk didn't come up while McNair was interviewing Wade for the DC job.

Little did he know, by helping improve our defense, he has secured Kubes future here for at least another year.

Oh, I bet Kubes gets more than one year.:chef:

Can't have a Kubes without a Wade. I hope Wade will give it at least another year to get a SB ring and I think they can do it with both coaches at the head and some healthy players.

Phillip's calming influence has really helped Kubes this year well, the whole team actually but you can tell the difference in the play calling, time management - all sorts of ways. When Wade was gone, Kubiak reverted to his old ways faster than you could say gall bladder. The bottom line is that we need Wade.

kingh99
01-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Two guys running a business with a third guy working the banks and connections as silent partner. you see it work all the time as long as they respect one another and tolerate one another's idiosyncrasies. Wade can run operations for a few years while Gary runs sales. Bob is the silent partner.

If the two operating partners don't produce the bottom line results, switch positions and reload. That would be so cool. McNair is a pretty good businessman. He understands corner office bullies don't survive. Low key hard workers always have a job.

Nitrofish
01-05-2012, 08:08 PM
I would be curious to know when this interview was done. It seems to me the media is trying to sabotage us bringing this crap up now. Trying to make it sound like he is concentrating more on becoming a head coach than on winning this year.

Why else would they be bringing this up now?

Bad timing... really bad timing.

DX-TEX
01-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Thank tebow he is not going anywhere:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/MechDX/TexansD.png

Got this from SI.com

drs23
01-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Thank tebow he is not going anywhere:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/MechDX/TexansD.png

Got this from SI.com

What, pray tell, is the Hog Index? First I've heard of that one. :thinking:

DX-TEX
01-05-2012, 09:14 PM
What, pray tell, is the Hog Index? First I've heard of that one. :thinking:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/2_1135_Def._Hog_Index.html

ABOUT THE DEFENSIVE HOG INDEX

The Defensive Hog Index is our effort to quantify which team has the best defensive front in football. It's proven a huge indicator of success since we introduced it during the 2007 season: teams that are better in the DHI are 25-8 in the playoffs over that time, and the No. 1 team in DHI has won the Super Bowl twice (2007 Giants and 2008 Steelers).

This isn't rocket science, folks. The Defensive Hog Index simply looks at at each team in three major, easy-to-understand categories and ranks them by average in these categories.

The top defensive front is that which posts the highest average rating across the board. The Defensive Hog Index is based upon these criteria:

YPA Yards Per Attempt. So simple, even you can understand it. This rates a defense's ability to stuff an opposing ground game.

NPP% Negative Pass Plays, expressed as a percentage. This is how often an opponent's pass plays end in either a sack or interception. Defenses that get after the quarterback and overwhelm the opposing offensive line naturally force sacks and INTs. These negative pass plays are calculated as a percentage of attempts. So if a team foces two sacks and two INTs in 40 pass plays, their NPP% will be 10 percent (4/40).

3down% - Opposition success rate on third down. The lower the percentage, the higher the defensive success

Texan_Bill
01-05-2012, 09:24 PM

This (the bolded) ^^^^^ I'm reminded of something Bill Worrell says a lot: "If the right hand don't get you, the left one will!"

Texan_Bill
01-05-2012, 09:26 PM
BTW, while Wade might entertain another HC job, I think it speaks volumes that "Daddy" aka O.A."Bum" Phillips will be leading the Texans on the field Saturday!

ObsiWan
01-05-2012, 10:24 PM

Oh, I bet Kubes gets more than one year.:chef:

Can't have a Kubes without a Wade. I hope Wade will give it at least another year to get a SB ring and I think they can do it with both coaches at the head and some healthy players.

Phillip's calming influence has really helped Kubes this year well, the whole team actually but you can tell the difference in the play calling, time management - all sorts of ways. When Wade was gone, Kubiak reverted to his old ways faster than you could say gall bladder. The bottom line is that we need Wade.

BTW, while Wade might entertain another HC job, I think it speaks volumes that "Daddy" aka O.A."Bum" Phillips will be leading the Texans on the field Saturday!

Team Wary (heh, not as negative as it once was, huh?) will stay here and win a Super Bowl then let Bum hoist this --> :trophy: during the victory parade down Kirby.

....hey, it's my fantasy. leave me alone.

badboy
01-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Any bets on what kind of raise Wade receives if he remains here?

Goldensilence
01-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Solution? Make Wade the highest paid D coordinator. I would love to have Wade as a Jim Johnson the rest of his years in the league here in Houston.

Brisco_County
01-05-2012, 11:20 PM
I think he's already the highest paid defensive coordinator.

Lucky
01-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Wade deserves another shot as an NFL head coach. He won't get one. That has more to do with the NFL mindset than Wade's abilities.

Wade is the head coach of the Texan defense just like Kubiak is the head coach of the offense. In this age of specialization, what the Texans need now is a head coach of clock management. All bases would be covered.

GP
01-06-2012, 12:29 AM
He sounds like Rain Man with a split personality. "Yeah, definitely gonna' be a strong team here, strong team for a long time, strong team. But if you wanna' talk about head coaching, let me know. Definitely let me know. Not going anywhere, but let me know. Let me know. Strong team...."

Seriously, Wade? I think THAT, alone, has sealed your fate and keeps you from getting a sniff of any HC positions in the NFL. The guy contradicted himself how many times in that little excerpt? LOL. Flip Flop City, geez.....

I started reading this thread, and figured, "OK, this is where he puts the speculation and rumor to rest." Nope. I be go to hell if he didn't just go and talk out of both sides of his mouth MULTIPLE times right there.

(Sigh).......

BetaV1
01-06-2012, 12:38 AM
While Wade has certainly did a miraculous job fixing the defense, I'd hope he wouldn't seriously entertain a coaching job if someone came knocking. Wade is just not a head coach and I hope he has, or at least can, come to make peace with that. This isn't to say Gary is or isn't, but this topic isn't about Gary. The fact is that some guys are just better suited as coordinators while others are better suited as coaches. Obviously the head coach gets the glory, but eh, so be it. The head coach also gets the shame and I figured Wade had enough of that by now.

I'm hoping he has, anyhow.

It's funny. About a year ago I predicted a Gary/Wade pairing would likely do wonders for the team based on how well it worked out with Sean Payton and Gregg Williams. Neither could win a superbowl on their own, much less make the playoffs, so they paired up and let one focus solely on one side of the ball and vice versa. It got them a Lombardi the first year and each year since, they've been in the post-season with 10+ win seasons. Gary needs Wade and Wade needs Gary.

Hey, look at that, the Texans won 10 games this year...

Life's short, and Wade ain't exactly a hoss anymore. If he thinks being a head coach is more important to him than having his name etched into a world champion ring and Lombardi history, then that's on him. What with all the reports coming out post-Black Monday about what teams are perusing what potential coaches, I find it telling that no team thus far has (reportedly) contacted Wade or the Texans. So I'll play the naive one here and say Wade has no intentions of leaving anytime soon.

Brisco_County
01-06-2012, 12:48 AM
He sounds like Rain Man with a split personality. "Yeah, definitely gonna' be a strong team here, strong team for a long time, strong team. But if you wanna' talk about head coaching, let me know. Definitely let me know. Not going anywhere, but let me know. Let me know. Strong team...."

Seriously, Wade? I think THAT, alone, has sealed your fate and keeps you from getting a sniff of any HC positions in the NFL. The guy contradicted himself how many times in that little excerpt? LOL. Flip Flop City, geez.....

I started reading this thread, and figured, "OK, this is where he puts the speculation and rumor to rest." Nope. I be go to hell if he didn't just go and talk out of both sides of his mouth MULTIPLE times right there.

(Sigh).......

I thought the same thing. Not his finest moment.

Let that be a lesson: Never descend into stream of consciousness babble when the mic is on.

But we still love you, Wade.

ADTpaul
01-06-2012, 12:55 AM
It really sounds like you want to be the next head coach of the Houston Texans!:goodpost:

Goldensilence
01-06-2012, 01:03 AM
Wade's chances of landing another HC gig are largely going to be based upon the feeling of GM's around the league.

I've seen years where they look towards retreads trying to revitalize retreads in hopes of getting organizational stability and others where they want to look at an unproven hotshot.

The Dominoes start falling with where Fisher goes.

Marshall
01-06-2012, 08:26 AM
While Wade has certainly did a miraculous job fixing the defense, I'd hope he wouldn't seriously entertain a coaching job if someone came knocking. Wade is just not a head coach and I hope he has, or at least can, come to make peace with that. This isn't to say Gary is or isn't, but this topic isn't about Gary. The fact is that some guys are just better suited as coordinators while others are better suited as coaches. Obviously the head coach gets the glory, but eh, so be it. The head coach also gets the shame and I figured Wade had enough of that by now.

I'm hoping he has, anyhow.

It's funny. About a year ago I predicted a Gary/Wade pairing would likely do wonders for the team based on how well it worked out with Sean Payton and Gregg Williams. Neither could win a superbowl on their own, much less make the playoffs, so they paired up and let one focus solely on one side of the ball and vice versa. It got them a Lombardi the first year and each year since, they've been in the post-season with 10+ win seasons. Gary needs Wade and Wade needs Gary.

Hey, look at that, the Texans won 10 games this year...

Life's short, and Wade ain't exactly a hoss anymore. If he thinks being a head coach is more important to him than having his name etched into a world champion ring and Lombardi history, then that's on him. What with all the reports coming out post-Black Monday about what teams are perusing what potential coaches, I find it telling that no team thus far has (reportedly) contacted Wade or the Texans. So I'll play the naive one here and say Wade has no intentions of leaving anytime soon.

This reminds me of the time the Giants had Lombardi as Offensive Coordinator and Landry as Defensive Coordinator. (1956-1959) It made the head coaches job easy.

TimeKiller
01-06-2012, 08:27 AM
Here's how I take it:

If somebody came and offered me a job, I'd take it....

...but I'm not out there actively campaigning and looking for a HC job.

He's home. He's got a good defense, lots o' money, a town's love, admiration and support and an owner who will do anything for him. How much would it take to go rebuild some bullshit team in some other stupid city where the media will grill him everytime something goes mildly askew?

Playoffs
01-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Opposite of a non-denial denial...

or "vote of confidence in a coach" right before firing him.

welsh texan
01-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Wade is sooooooo bad at media it is laughable. I atually find it funny the way he squirms about under harmless questioning.

Now if only he could learn to coach a defence to make up for it :evil:

Double Barrel
01-06-2012, 11:23 AM
I would be curious to know when this interview was done. It seems to me the media is trying to sabotage us bringing this crap up now. Trying to make it sound like he is concentrating more on becoming a head coach than on winning this year.

Why else would they be bringing this up now?

Bad timing... really bad timing.

It is a bit strange, especially since the article is on the Houston Texans website and written by one of their employees (Nick Scurfield). I agree that context would be interesting to know.

All I can guess is that they might be trying to put out brush fires before he's hit with a bunch of questions about it, or maybe even putting the word out there that he's content with his current job? Beyond that, not much sense at this point in time, right before our first playoff game.

Team Wary (heh, not as negative as it once was, huh?) will stay here and win a Super Bowl then let Bum hoist this --> :trophy: during the victory parade down Kirby.

....hey, it's my fantasy. leave me alone.

Can I share in your fantasy in a platonic, non-gay sorta' way? :handshake:

I can't even begin to imagine how it would feel to have our team win the championship. I try to go to Imagination Land for this scenario, but it's just puffy white clouds that won't let me see anything else.

ObsiWan
01-06-2012, 11:30 AM
It is a bit strange, especially since the article is on the Houston Texans website and written by one of their employees (Nick Scurfield). I agree that context would be interesting to know.

All I can guess is that they might be trying to put out brush fires before he's hit with a bunch of questions about it, or maybe even putting the word out there that he's content with his current job? Beyond that, not much sense at this point in time, right before our first playoff game.

Can I share in your fantasy in a platonic, non-gay sorta' way? :handshake:

I can't even begin to imagine how it would feel to have our team win the championship. I try to go to Imagination Land for this scenario, but it's just puffy white clouds that won't let me see anything else.

Sure. I liken this to imagining what I'd do with the money if I won the Lottery. Everyone has had that fantasy at one point or another.l

Playoffs
01-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Classic line:

Steve Mariucci, "How good of a job has Wade Phillips done this year? He completely turned around this defense. Not only did he lose Mario Williams ... he lost his gall bladder, too!"

:lol:

kiwitexansfan
01-07-2012, 03:38 PM
I really value stability in an organization, hope this team stays together a long time.

Philips can be our Le Beau. (sp?)

Fox
01-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Saw on ESPN this am Schefter said Wade is interviewing in Tampa today (I think today). Other candidates there are Zimmer, Childress, Sherman, Jerry Gray.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7438946/tampa-bay-buccaneers-interview-brad-childress-monday-sources-says

Lucky
01-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Saw on ESPN this am Schefter said Wade is interviewing in Tampa today (I think today). Other candidates there are Zimmer, Childress, Sherman, Jerry Gray.
No offense to Wade, but that has to be the weakest field of head coaching candidates I've ever seen. Brad Childress & Mike Sherman? Really?

If that represents the entire field of prospective coaches, Wade should get the job easily.

Thorn
01-08-2012, 01:46 PM

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7438946/tampa-bay-buccaneers-interview-brad-childress-monday-sources-says

If this is true, it pisses me off. Wade needs to be preparing for the Ravens, not looking for a job.

EllisUnit
01-08-2012, 01:50 PM
If this is true, it pisses me off. Wade needs to be preparing for the Ravens, not looking for a job.

i read the story, no where does it say he interviewed with them today

Fox
01-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Sherman is the front runner per La Canfora.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825d019e/article/bucs-could-make-decision-on-sherman-as-next-coach-this-week?module=HP11_headline_stack

I'm keeping close tabs on the coaching carousel this year because I don't see how Wade wouldn't at least garner consideration from some of these clubs that haven't sniffed good football in the past 5 years. Wouldn't be surprised to see him interview a couple more times. For selfish reasons I obviously hope they pass on him this year. In our favor, there's no debate that Wade the coordinator is far superior to Wade the head coach.

Fox
01-08-2012, 01:52 PM
i read the story, no where does it say he interviewed with them today

I believe Schefter said this morning on ESPN he was interviewing today, it's not in the story and I don't have it DVR'd to confirm, just going on memory.

Section516
01-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Houston Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer are also candidates, sources said, along with former Green Bay Packers and Texas A&M coach Mike Sherman, who interviewed last week.

Candidates, not interviewed.

TexanSam
01-08-2012, 01:54 PM

Happens to a lot of coaches on playoff teams. You can't dictate when you interview. If he waits until his team is out of the playoffs then he may lose out on getting a job.

Pats offensive coordinator has already been named the coach at Penn State. Packers offensive coordinator has an interview with the Dolphins I think.

EllisUnit
01-08-2012, 01:55 PM
I believe Schefter said this morning on ESPN he was interviewing today, it's not in the story and I don't have it DVR'd to confirm, just going on memory.

i really very seriously doubt that the day after our first play off win wade is heading anywhere for an interview. his dad would whoop his ass haha, plus isnt it against NFL rules to intervies a coach whos still coaching in the play offs ?

Fox
01-08-2012, 02:00 PM
i really very seriously doubt that the day after our first play off win wade is heading anywhere for an interview. his dad would whoop his ass haha, plus isnt it against NFL rules to intervies a coach whos still coaching in the play offs ?

You may be right I can't find anything anywhere online saying he's interviewing today.

Playoffs
01-08-2012, 02:01 PM
According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, the Bucs are looking at Brad Childress, Marty Schotteheimer, Wade Phillips (Houston DC) and Mike Zimmer (Bengals DC). They've also been connected to Mike Sherman and Jerry Gray.

Yikes, it's between Sherman and Wade.

Section516
01-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Wade is just so old..Bucs go from youngest HC to oldest?

Lucky
01-08-2012, 02:03 PM
First, they break Schaub's foot. Now, they're trying to steal Wade?

The Bucs suck!

Lucky
01-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Packers offensive coordinator has an interview with the Dolphins I think.
That happened during the bye week, right? I think there are some timing restrictions on interviews. Need to do some research.

ChampionTexan
01-08-2012, 02:24 PM
No offense to Wade, but that has to be the weakest field of head coaching candidates I've ever seen. Brad Childress & Mike Sherman? Really?

If that represents the entire field of prospective coaches, Wade should get the job easily.

In spite of the recent happenings at A&M, I disagree about Sherman. Folks forget that he won the NFC North three times in his six years as HC of the Packers (with a minimum of 10 wins each time), and went to the playoffs one other time with a 12 win Wild Card team.

For his career, he's 18 games over .500 in the regular season (57-39), and the only time (out of six years) that he finished without a winning record was his final year when he went 4-12. Not coincidentally, that was the year Favre threw 29 int's, and with the exception of his final year in Minny, had the lowest passer rating of his career.
Sherman also won a couple of playoff games while he was there, but obviously, since he got to the playoffs four times, and never won the Super Bowl, he lost 4.

I think it's actually surprising that he hasn't gotten more interest given all the retreads, has beens and never-weres that get NFL head coaching jobs. I do think there's a pretty good chance he ends up as HC in either Jacksonville or TB next season.

srrono
01-08-2012, 02:25 PM
McClain_on_NFL John McClain
The Texans have given Tampa Bay permission to interview defensive coordinator Wade Phillips for their vacant head coaching job.

ensign_lee
01-08-2012, 02:26 PM
The Texans have given Tampa Bay permission to interview defensive coordinator Wade Phillips for their vacant head coaching job.

:toropalm:

In the middle of a playoff run? Seriously...? Guess we're Fed for Baltimore

Jackie Chiles
01-08-2012, 02:27 PM

In the middle of a playoff run? Seriously...? Guess we're Fed for Baltimore

Pretty sure Kubiak interviewed with us in the middle of a Denver playoff run. Can't deny Wade the opportunity. Timing sucks though for sure. Buzz off Tampa.

GP
01-08-2012, 02:28 PM
If Wade leaves after being here just one year, then he can pack his **** for good and never bother coming back to Texas ever again.

It would be a true slap to the face of his father, Bob McNair, his players, to the city of Houston, and to the fans.

I know it's his life and he can choose for himself. Duh. But with choices come ramifications, and he'd be just another opportunist who looks after himself and doesn't care about the fallout it causes others. IMO, he has to stay one more year here to leave on good terms in THIS fan's eyes.

I'm sure his agent is whispering into his ear that the turnaround of this defense from worst to first is something you capitalize off of and go get that bigger contract. We'll see if Wade has true roots here or if he's a male whore and sleeps with the biggest spender. Sorry if that's harsh, but it is what it is in my eyes.

It'll be put up or shut up time for all this Wade Phillips "head coach" speculation

Texn4life
01-08-2012, 02:32 PM
As much as I respect Wade, there is no way he gets this job. They don't have anyone on their D-line that fits the 3-4. And no one that can easily transition to a 3-4 OLB. It would just take too much for Wade to get that team back to winning. Plus they just picked up fatboy from Washington who hated the defense, and do you really want to start off the season creating that kind of drama on the team? Miami makes more sense to me than Tampa does. Neither will happen, but Tampa won't happen for sure.

GP
01-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Now that this is adversely affecting MY team.....the NFL needs to make it a rule that no candidates can interview with an NFL team until after the Super Bowl.

They can wait the extra four weeks or so.

Make it a level playing field and make playoff coaches respect their current duties and not have them thinking about where they might end up next year.

The Bucs are quickly becoming my most hated team. First, they go and get the Schaub Killer (Haynesworth) who ends his season and maybe even his career. Second, they are targeting our d-coord. Bastards.

EllisUnit
01-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Now that this is adversely affecting MY team.....the NFL needs to make it a rule that no candidates can interview with an NFL team until after the Super Bowl.

They can wait the extra four weeks or so.

Make it a level playing field and make playoff coaches respect their current duties and not have them thinking about where they might end up next year.

The Bucs are quickly becoming my most hated team. First, they go and get the Schaub Killer (Haynesworth) who ends his season and maybe even his career. Second, they are targeting our d-coord. Bastards.

i'm pretty sure that was already a rule. i could of swore that we had to wait until after the play offs to interview kubiak.

Honoring Earl 34
01-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Wade don't give your key to the city back . :cowboy1:

DocBar
01-08-2012, 02:39 PM
I'm not at all surprised by this. The defensive performance this year has turned a lot of heads, Phillips has the pedigree and the stated desire to be a head coach again. For the life of me, I don't understand why. He absolutely has it made here as DC. Maybe he should give Dick LeBeau a call.

SheTexan
01-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Just McClain running his mouth! PLUS, the poster didn't post a link!! :cutthroat: You guys usually jump all over that sort of thing!! You can't breath on this board without posting a link on how to do it!!:D

EllisUnit
01-08-2012, 02:42 PM
i just wish we could keep a coordinator for more than 1 season :toropalm:, sherman, shanahan, Smith, Bush, and countless other stay one season and are gone

GP
01-08-2012, 02:43 PM
A real man would have said, "Any team trying to contact me, or wants me for their head coach...they can wait until I'm done here. I have a job to do, I have a duty to my players and everyone else in the Texans organization. If some team wants me bad enough, they can wait. Next question, please."

How hard is THAT? Instead, he talks out of both sides of his mouth.

It's just really depressing, as a fan, to sit back and read all this crap that he's saying. The rumors. Speculation. Hey Wade: WE gave you a chance when you got dumped on your ass by Jerry Jones. Now you just use us as a stepping stone in year ONE here?

If he leaves, let the name of Phillips be stricken from the annals of Texas sports lore. Bum, too. He can follow his son and lead the Bucs out of the tunnel for their first game with Wade as HC if it goes down like that.

Sour taste in my mouth today. It should be 100% Texans Talk, and we're getting trickled reports of Wade supposedly a candidate in Tampa AND possibly interviewing too. Sheesh. :voodoo:

fiasco west
01-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Boy! Wait till' Bum hears about this!

EllisUnit
01-08-2012, 02:47 PM
A real man would have said, "Any team trying to contact me, or wants me for their head coach...they can wait until I'm done here. I have a job to do, I have a duty to my players and everyone else in the Texans organization. If some team wants me bad enough, they can wait. Next question, please."

How hard is THAT? Instead, he talks out of both sides of his mouth.

It's just really depressing, as a fan, to sit back and read all this crap that he's saying. The rumors. Speculation. Hey Wade: WE gave you a chance when you got dumped on your ass by Jerry Jones. Now you just use us as a stepping stone in year ONE here?

If he leaves, let the name of Phillips be stricken from the annals of Texas sports lore. Bum, too. He can follow his son and lead the Bucs out of the tunnel for their first game with Wade as HC if it goes down like that.

Sour taste in my mouth today. It should be 100% Texans Talk, and we're getting trickled reports of Wade supposedly a candidate in Tampa AND possibly interviewing too. Sheesh. :voodoo:

agree man, it is B.S that in the middle of our first ever play off run he is talking to other teams. he needs to be preparing the team for the ravens. I thought better of him than that, guess i was wrong.

DocBar
01-08-2012, 02:48 PM
i just wish we could keep a coordinator for more than 1 season :toropalm:, sherman, shanahan, Smith, Bush, and countless other stay one season and are gonePhillips is the only one of those coordinators that I would absolutely want to keep with baby Shanny a definite maybe.

GP
I'm not at all surprised by this. The defensive performance this year has turned a lot of heads, Phillips has the pedigree and the stated desire to be a head coach again. For the life of me, I don't understand why. He absolutely has it made here as DC. Maybe he should give Dick LeBeau a call.

He and his daddy can go live in Florida for all I care.

Bum can lead the Bucs out of the tunnel in the season opener if Wade gets that HC job there...because IMO, the name of Phillips--from a Texas sports perspective--should be stricken from the annals of Texas sports lore if he leaves this year.

I have a feeling the writing is on the wall, folks. The only thing standing in the way is his health and if that scares off Tampa Bay execs making this big of a decision.

Our good fortune becomes someone else's plunder. That would be just typical Houston pro football voodoo, IMO. TYPICAL.

EllisUnit
Boy! Wait till' Bum hears about this!

i dont think bum is against him head coaching again but he would be against him interviewing during our play off run.

Kimmy
01-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Just McClain running his mouth! PLUS, the poster didn't post a link!! :cutthroat: You guys usually jump all over that sort of thing!! You can't breath on this board without posting a link on how to do it!!:D

https://twitter.com/#!/search/wade%20phillips

DocBar
01-08-2012, 02:50 PM
agree man, it is B.S that in the middle of our first ever play off run he is talking to other teams. he needs to be preparing the team for the ravens. I thought better of him than that, guess i was wrong.Considering the remarks he's made on this subject, why would you expect anything different? I don't like this one little bit, but I'm certainly not surprised. How many times does he have to fail as HC and succeed as DC before he decides to just be who and what he is: one helluva DC and a decent, at best, HC.

Allstar
01-08-2012, 02:51 PM
This sucks.

fiasco west
01-08-2012, 02:53 PM
It would be a shame for Wade to leave.

Not for the Texans though, for him. I think the best thing that Wade has done was show McNair that bringing in top coaches and paying them is WELL WORTH it. I think it's another thing McNair is learning about running a quality football team. I bet if Wade walks that Mcnair/Smith will bring another big name 3-4 DC to replace him.

For Wade though he has not accomplished much as a head coach. I really think he can build his legacy and become a Lebeau type of guy while here and that with Kubiak on the other side they'll be a coaching duo that will get equal credit.

Wade doesn't need to fall into titles and such like whose the head coach. I think in most fans eyes here he's getting equal credit (and some people give him more credit than Kubes) so I dunno.

I'm hoping the guy is just dipping his toe in the water.

GP
01-08-2012, 02:53 PM
agree man, it is B.S that in the middle of our first ever play off run he is talking to other teams. he needs to be preparing the team for the ravens. I thought better of him than that, guess i was wrong.

If you're looking at a guy for HC, wouldn't you respect the guy MORE if he stood his ground and showed some balls by telling teams to back off until he's done with his current team?

I mean, if loyalty is an issue..if integrity is an issue...and you want your players to buy into the new HC coming into your locker room and leading your guys in 2012....wouldn't you want it to be a guy who has respect for the team he's currently WITH. And is with in the PLAYOFFS?!?!?!?

LOL. Yeah, stats are great. But it felt like there was more to the Wade Phillips story here than JUST his ability to know defense and make it work. I thought he brought a level of character to the table that the players admired. IMO, it's the intersection of his great defensive understanding AND his ability to be trusted by the players too.

Oh well, it's out of our hands obviously.

Kimmy
01-08-2012, 02:54 PM
*on the flip side*

If he is really interested in a HC job, beating the hell out of the Ravens would be a great audition ;)

*trying to think positive*

EllisUnit
Considering the remarks he's made on this subject, why would you expect anything different? I don't like this one little bit, but I'm certainly not surprised. How many times does he have to fail as HC and succeed as DC before he decides to just be who and what he is: one helluva DC and a decent, at best, HC.

i figured he would leave but he can take care of his buisness after the play offs. hes still the texans D.C until after the play offs. he needs to focus on the ravens

Lucky
I think it's actually surprising that he hasn't gotten more interest given all the retreads, has beens and never-weres that get NFL head coaching jobs. I do think there's a pretty good chance he ends up as HC in either Jacksonville or TB next season.
I acknowledge that he was the head coach of winning teams. I don't think he built those teams, anymore than Jim Caldwell buit the Colts when they were winning. I think Sherman is a very viable offensive coordinator. But like former Raider head coach Bill Callahan, Sherman hasn't distinguished himself as a head coach. He certainly didn't look like a special coach at A&M.

I remember Sherman was about to be named head coach of the Arizona Cardinals a few years back. But there was such a backlash against the hiring, the Cardinals owner (or owner's son) pull the offer off the table. There's nothing exciting about him and nothing you can point to that would suggest he is a great hire as a head coach. OK, he can win with Brett Favre in his prime. Unless Brett Favre is walking through that door, why hire Mike Sherman?

Double Barrel
01-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Phillips will interview with Buccaneers for head coach job (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/01/phillips-will-interview-with-buccaneers-for-head-coach-job/)

Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips will interview with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for their vacant head-coaching position.

The Texans gave the Bucs permission to interview him, probably Friday. Phillips, who helped the Texans improve from 30th to second in defense, hopes the Bucs will conduct the interview in Houston.

Im gratified somebody noticed, Phillips said. Well talk and see how much interest (Tampa Bay) has in me. Im torn. I dont want to leave Houston. I love it here. But Id like to get a chance to be a head coach again.

I guess I was just a little too happy this morning about winning a playoff game. The football gods decided H-town was having a little too much success.

I hate to root against Wade on anything, but I'm going to have to hope this job doesn't pan out for him.

fiasco west
01-08-2012, 02:57 PM
The crappy thing about this is the players mentality.

Cushing, Ryans, etc...these guys seem to love Wade and now they have to be thinking about if he is returning next year. I'm not worried about if he'll have a gameplan ready for the Ravens. He will.

I'm worried about the players worrying about it.

Mr. Texan
01-08-2012, 03:00 PM
don't leave us wade

http://www.unathleticmag.com/wp-content/uploads/distraught_fan.gif

Hookem Horns
01-08-2012, 03:01 PM
I posted a link about this in the Head Coach search thread. Wade is just one of many they are interviewing. According to that ESPN article Childress is their top candidate.

GP
01-08-2012, 03:01 PM
I think it's another thing McNair is learning about running a quality football team. I bet if Wade walks that Mcnair/Smith will bring another big name 3-4 DC to replace him.

And I, on the other hand, would bet that McNair would promote from within.

McNair is going to think some guy like Reggie Herring or Vance Joseph learned under Wade (in only one year) and absorbed Wade's talents as d-coord.

I wonder if a guy like Gene Chizik is ready to coach NFL ball or if he has something stored up at Auburn worth staying for. Chizik is a helluva' defensive coordinator, folks. He had a top-ranked defense in the SEC and then went to Austin and had a top-ranked Big 12 defense in his very first year there. He knows defense, period.

If I'm owner of the Texans, I'm on the phone finding THE best d-coordinators I can find no matter if it's college or pro football, and I'm setting up interviews with them just like Wade is with certain teams out there. I'm even trying to summon the ghost of Vince Lombardi if I knew how to do it.

But the theme has always been McNair hiring from within. I don't think he could even find the right guy OUTSIDE of this organization anyways. If Wade leaves, the odds are not in our favor to maintain this level of defense we've enjoyed this year. Sorry to be a Doug Downer, but it is what it is. Replicating 2011 with a new guy is not my ideal plan for success in 2012.

DocBar
01-08-2012, 03:02 PM

Bum can lead the Bucs out of the tunnel in the season opener if Wade gets that HC job there...because IMO, the name of Phillips--from a Texas sports perspective--should be stricken from the annals of Texas sports lore if he leaves this year.

I have a feeling the writing is on the wall, folks. The only thing standing in the way is his health and if that scares off Tampa Bay execs making this big of a decision.

Our good fortune becomes someone else's plunder. That would be just typical Houston pro football voodoo, IMO. TYPICAL.Shouldn't you wait and see if he gets the job before you send him off to Florida?

EllisUnit
01-08-2012, 03:03 PM

McNair is going to think some guy like Reggie Herring or Vance Joseph learned under Wade (in only one year) and absorbed Wade's talents as d-coord.

I wonder if a guy like Gene Chizik is ready to coach NFL ball or if he has something stored up at Auburn worth staying for. Chizik is a helluva' defensive coordinator, folks. He had a top-ranked defense in the SEC and then went to Austin and had a top-ranked Big 12 defense in his very first year there. He knows defense, period.

If I'm owner of the Texans, I'm on the phone finding THE best d-coordinators I can find no matter if it's college or pro football, and I'm setting up interviews with them just like Wade is with certain teams out there. I'm even trying to summon the ghost of Vince Lombardi if I knew how to do it.

But the theme has always been McNair hiring from within. I don't think he could even find the right guy OUTSIDE of this organization anyways. If Wade leaves, the odds are not in our favor to maintain this level of defense we've enjoyed this year. Sorry to be a Doug Downer, but it is what it is. Replicating 2011 with a new guy is not my ideal plan for success in 2012.

people may think i'm crazy but i wouldnt mind having dom capers as the D.C. I dont know if he would do it but you never know. to bad wade cant be like capers who failed at coaching and stuck with what he's good at.

EllisUnit
01-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Shouldn't you wait and see if he gets the job before you send him off to Florida?

i think he's more mad that he is interviewing during our play off run. hell 2 days before we play the ravens. Thats B.S. i see where he's coming from.

Playoffs
01-08-2012, 03:06 PM
I posted a link about this in the Head Coach search thread. Wade is just one of many they are interviewing. According to that ESPN article Childress is their top candidate.Wow. Talk about frying pan into the fire! http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa163/csiever/travis.gif

Still, Wade shouldn't do this now. League should have a moratorium on hiring through the playoffs. It's just not right.

GP
01-08-2012, 03:08 PM
I guess I was just a little too happy this morning about winning a playoff game. The football gods decided H-town was having a little too much success.

I hate to root against Wade on anything, but I'm going to have to hope this job doesn't pan out for him.

It's the Catch-22 we're in, DB, that pisses me off.

On one hand, if we continue to go deep into the playoffs...it makes the legend of Wade Phillips loom larger than ever. It secures him the job, IMO.

And on the other hand, if he stinks it up vs. the Ravens...maybe teams out there cool to the idea of him being their HC. Which means we are out of the playoffs and Wade likely stays.

Typical. Houston. Pro Football. Bull****.

If he leaves, Kubiak enters into Sainthood. Period. He becomes the only guy who loves us enough to stay, no matter what happens. Which is awkward on so many levels, tbh.

GP
01-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Shouldn't you wait and see if he gets the job before you send him off to Florida?

Nope. Put them all in a shipping container, along with their possessions, and float it down the Gulf to Tampa for all I care. The Bucs front office can meet them at the Tampa Bay wharf and crane that sumbitch off the ship.

Bum can trade in his Stetson for a pirate hat, too.

fiasco west
01-08-2012, 03:10 PM

Honestly I would try Vance...but if Wade goes a lot of his key guys will go as well... Depending on where Wade would go, I guess one of his guys will be the DC.

I think Mcnair is a smart guy. He's seen what hiring new guys has got him, he'll stay away from it unless a young guy really impresses them. After Wade he's not going to just settle for any old DC.

Also though I don't think a guy like Vance would be bad. He seems to have good leadership skills and I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a DC soon.

Stemp
01-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Teams will be hesitant to hired Wade as head coach because of perceived lack of success as HC and, unfortunately for him, questions about his health.

As far as coaches interviewing during playoff runs, that's what happens when you have success.
Many of the teams in the playoffs have coaches interviewing, but they have a very limited window so it doesn't interfere with their current team.

Naiirb
01-08-2012, 03:11 PM
I love Wade but he is old and he has health issues. Coupled with how his tenure ended in Dallas i doubt he goes anywhere.

SheTexan
01-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Bad timing, and that sucks!! JMO!! Hard to have respect for this game when your top players supposedly shoot you in the back!

I'm with GP!! ONE year and he plans to bail on us??!! Not a warm fuzzzy feeling!

GP
01-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Can a mod merge the two threads? LOL. I hate having to go to both of them when all of us are duplicating this discussion.

Make it "The All Encompassing Wade Phillips Rumor" thread and be done with it. Because we've got a week to go before the Ravens game, and it'll hit 15 pages easy as slow as the sports news week will be.

GP
01-08-2012, 03:14 PM
What we have to hope for is that Tampa is using him as leverage against other candidates they're more interested in.

Also, can mods merge the two threads? We're duplicating the discussion.

amazing80
01-08-2012, 03:14 PM

Our good fortune becomes someone else's plunder. That would be just typical Houston pro football voodoo, IMO. TYPICAL.

OMG youre such a whiney little BIA. Of course they will interview him, along with COUNTLESS other people. The guy has a 1-5 HC playoff record and during 04-06 with Chargers as DC he did not win a playoff game and during the Vick years in 02-03 he won ONE playoff game as DC. Yes he is great, but we have 5 starters on this team that did not play last season (Watt, Reed, Manning, Joseph and Barwin, not to mention a healthy Ryans, Cushing and a full season with Allen). We upgraded poor talent ( Pollard, Wilson, Okoye, Diles, Bentley, Adibi, Lewis, etc).

Not to mention the guy is what, 64? He would instantly be one of, if not the oldest, HC in the league. Older coaches is OK, but only if you had them, you don't hire a 64 year old, who will be 65 by next season and coming off a surgery like he is. Not to mention, no team out there has the "groceries" like our team. We are the best fit for him and if it is about money, I am sure Uncle Bob will give him more. The guy wants to have leverage to get more, fine by me. If you LOVE your job and another company wants to interview you, you do it, not because you will for sure take it, but you explore your options and use it as leverage.

I doubt he gets offered the job and even if he does, I doubt he takes it. Houston has some of the best medical hospitals in the nation, he is close to family, he gets paid a lot and we're young and dominating after ONE SEASON with no off-season. He is prime position to leave a great mark on his legacy by staying where he is.

GP
01-08-2012, 03:15 PM
OMG youre such a whiney little BIA. Of course they will interview him, along with COUNTLESS other people. The guy has a 1-5 HC playoff record and during 04-06 with Chargers as DC he did not win a playoff game and during the Vick years in 02-03 he won ONE playoff game as DC. Yes he is great, but we have 5 starters on this team that did not play last season (Watt, Reed, Manning, Joseph and Barwin, not to mention a healthy Ryans, Cushing and a full season with Allen). We upgraded poor talent ( Pollard, Wilson, Okoye, Diles, Bentley, Adibi, Lewis, etc).

Not to mention the guy is what, 64? He would instantly be one of, if not the oldest, HC in the league. Older coaches is OK, but only if you had them, you don't hire a 64 year old, who will be 65 by next season and coming off a surgery like he is. Not to mention, no team out there has the "groceries" like our team. We are the best fit for him and if it is about money, I am sure Uncle Bob will give him more. The guy wants to have leverage to get more, fine by me. If you LOVE your job and another company wants to interview you, you do it, not because you will for sure take it, but you explore your options and use it as leverage.

I doubt he gets offered the job and even if he does, I doubt he takes it. Houston has some of the best medical hospitals in the nation, he is close to family, he gets paid a lot and we're young and dominating after ONE SEASON with no off-season. He is prime position to leave a great mark on his legacy by staying where he is.

Is this all you do? Follow me around and talk **** on me?!?!?

Go the **** away already. Stalker.

DocBar
01-08-2012, 03:16 PM
people may think i'm crazy but i wouldnt mind having dom capers as the D.C. I dont know if he would do it but you never know. to bad wade cant be like capers who failed at coaching and stuck with what he's good at.Why on earth would Capers want to come back to Houston in a lateral move? Maybe Capers isn't garnering the interest Phillips is. Just because he hasn't been named a candidate for a HC position doesn't mean he doesn't want to be one again.

EllisUnit
01-08-2012, 03:17 PM

so if we go into the ravens game with a half ass game plan cause wades head has been else where, you wont be mad ??? Think about what happened with sumlin and the cougars, this is the same scenario and it didnt work out to good for them.

Ruinondd
01-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Ugh, way to pee in my cheerios wade. Couldn't he at least give us enough respect to not interview while we are in the playoffs? I guess I just don't get it, he can stay here with a team entirely in it's prime and build one heck of a dynasty. Or go HC somewhere and stay below .500 and fade away.
Thanks reality, I needed a reminder that this Is Houston lol.

CloakNNNdagger
01-08-2012, 03:20 PM
NFL Rules for Interviewing Assistant Coaches (http://www.ehow.com/list_6742856_nfl-rules-interviewing-assistant-coaches.html#ixzz1itqrVaHi)

The National Football League seeks to protect the integrity of the game and its member teams by putting in place rules regarding one team's contact with another team's assistant coaches for the purpose of setting up job interviews. The distraction to a team when its coaches are interviewing for jobs elsewhere can be immense, so the NFL limits the type of contact and the timing of that contact.

The Rooney Rule

The NFL has a policy in place that seeks to increase the number of minority candidates considered for available coaching positions, particularly head coaching positions, through the Rooney Rule. The rule requires any team with a vacancy in its head coaching position to interview at least one minority candidate before hiring anyone for the job. This rule often does not achieve its desired result as teams hold token interviews with minority candidates before proceeding to hire the person they wanted to bring in all along.

Promotions

The NFL does not differentiate between levels of assistant coaches in its rules regarding their availability to interview with other teams. Whether the coach is a defensive line coach or an offensive coordinator, the rules are the same. If a team wishes to interview an assistant coach who is still under contract with another team for its head coaching position, the current team is required to give permission for the interview as long as it happens between the end of the team's season and March 1. After March 1, teams can still ask, but the current team is not obligated to give permission.

Lateral Move

An NFL team cannot interview an assistant coach who is under contract as an assistant with another team for the following season without the permission of his current organization. Teams will usually give permission upon request, particularly if a lower level coach is set to take an offensive or defensive coordinator position elsewhere, but the current team is not required to give permission.

During the Season

Teams may not interview assistants from another team for either a lateral move or a head coaching opportunity during the season. The lone exception to this rule comes when teams want to interview assistants for head coaching jobs while the current team is in the playoffs. As there is an urgency to hire new head coaches for some non-playoff teams, the NFL does allow teams to request permission to interview a postseason participant's assistants during the wild card week for teams who have the bye that week. They can also request permission to do so during the first week of Super Bowl preparations as long as there is a two-week break between the conference championships and the Super Bowl. The team only has one chance to talk to the assistant coach, once permission is granted, before the coach's team is eliminated from the playoffs.

CretorFrigg
01-08-2012, 03:21 PM
The timing is what ticks me off. We're in the middle of a playoff run, and Wade is busy looking for another job?

If our defense completely fails during the Baltimore game, I know who I'm going to blame; and it's not Kubiak.

GP
so if we go into the ravens game with a half ass game plan cause wades head has been else where, you wont be mad ??? Think about what happened with sumlin and the cougars, this is the same scenario and it didnt work out to good for them.

Don't bother with him. All he'll do is call you names and spin things as he goes.

Then he'll follow you around to all your other posts in other threads and talk **** on you every time you post something. Trust me.

amazing80
Is this all you do? Follow me around and talk **** on me?!?!?

Go the **** away already. Stalker.

No, but every thread I go into you are whining like a little 5 year old girl who just got her barbie taken away. we just won our first playoff game EVER and you are complaining, go figure :toropalm:

Marcus
01-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Think maybe that all Wade is doing is bucking for a raise?

"See Mr. McNair . . . Everybody wants me. How bad do you want me back?"

And I'm sure the Denver fans weren't too pleased when there was talk of Kubiak coming to Houston. When you get a playoff successful football team, you get the whole package.

fiasco west
01-08-2012, 03:26 PM
NFL Rules for Interviewing Assistant Coaches (http://www.ehow.com/list_6742856_nfl-rules-interviewing-assistant-coaches.html#ixzz1itqrVaHi)

That's a crappy rule. How about the rest of the losing teams in the NFL all wait until after the Superbowl to start the carousel?

Tailgate

Am I reading that wrong? It says he can only interview during wilcard week only if that team has a bye?

Wolf
Thanks CnD . For the clarification annd to end the speculation..

MSR

amazing80
01-08-2012, 03:27 PM

Maybe you missed where I said YES HE IS GREAT, but you cannot deny the fact we got almost half of a new starting defense with the players from the draft and with the guys coming back from injury. He makes a difference, but lets not act as if he did it with scrubs, like he would have to do in Tampa or Miami....thats the point, he has a nice thing going here and I doubt he ups and leaves just because someone came calling. Its nice to know people want you....

amazing80
01-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Don't bother with him. All he'll do is call you names and spin things as he goes.

Then he'll follow you around to all your other posts in other threads and talk **** on you every time you post something. Trust me.

Ive talked to you in TWO THREADS, this one and the one about Rackers being a concern. Both of them you blew things our of proportion and were over critical. I see this is a pattern for you.....

fiasco west
01-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Maybe you missed where I said YES HE IS GREAT, but you cannot deny the fact we got almost half of a new starting defense with the players from the draft and with the guys coming back from injury. He makes a difference, but lets not act as if he did it with scrubs, like he would have to do in Tampa or Miami....thats the point, he has a nice thing going here and I doubt he ups and leaves just because someone came calling. Its nice to know people want you....

I think you make a great point and Wade ain't the only guy in the world that knows defense.

If he leaves he'll be handing over a lot of talent for someone else to succeed. The talent is here, good DCs will want this job if Wade leaves.

Double Barrel
01-08-2012, 03:31 PM

And I'm sure the Denver fans weren't too pleased when there was talk of Kubiak coming to Houston. When you get a playoff successful football team, you get the whole package.

yep, great point. We have to always try to stay objective that success will often bring undesired consequences like players wanting more money and coaches getting offered jobs.

It's just the way things work. I just hope you're right that Wade is positioning himself for a raise. Bum said in a recent Bob Allen interview that Wade did not want any head coaching gig, but one that was right for him. According to Bum, Wade does not want to have to rebuild a team, so I'm not sure if the Bucs qualify as a team that just needs a head coach to make the difference.

Say Watt
01-08-2012, 03:32 PM
I am fuming mad. F you Wade for even considering this WHILE we are in the middle of our first playoff game in Texans history. F you Wade!!!

GP
01-08-2012, 03:32 PM

The timing is what ticks me off. We're in the middle of a playoff run, and Wade is busy looking for another job?

If our defense completely fails during the Baltimore game, I know who I'm going to blame; and it's not Kubiak.

No, but every thread I go into you are whining like a little 5 year old girl who just got her barbie taken away. we just won our first playoff game EVER and you are complaining, go figure :toropalm:

Oh, I see. It's just ME complaining huh? LOL. FAIL.

Everybody is worried about it and hates it. But you choose me because you know I'll fight back and spar with you on here.

I know people like you, bro. You do this **** because it puts you up against me and gives you some spotlight on here. Others have come here and tried this same song and dance, and they end up getting banned or they leave. Happens about once every year, actually. So you're not doing anything I don't already know about already.

Try countering my points instead of name-calling. "Whiny *****," and "a girl who had her Barbies taken away," it's all name-calling and you ought to be spoken to by a mod for it. In fact, I've reported your posts to a mod for just that reason. Well, that...AND the way you continuously pick a fight with me.

You're lying (again) when you say things like you do about me. And the name-calling is a gesture born out of your inability to let the facts stand on their own. Everybody is concerned about these Wade rumors. If you're acting like you're not, then you're fooling nobody with the act. Worst to first, in one year, and the defense looked less than stellar when he was gone for surgery and recovering. Period.

A lot of teams out there see it, and they think they can bring him in and replicate the same accomplishment. They don't care if they have to make him a HC to do it...Kubiak was made a HC and basically was hired for his ability to coach QBs and make a good offense. Care to counter this point, or just want to throw out more name-calling against me???

I've neg repped you, you've earned it. First neg rep I've handed out to a fellow Texans fan in several years. Counter my points or shut your trap.

EllisUnit
01-08-2012, 03:33 PM

half ??? watt, reed, jojo, manning. thats 4 out of 11. and if williams hadnt went down reed wouldnt be starting

GlassHalfFull
01-08-2012, 03:35 PM
yep, great point. We have to always try to stay objective that success will often bring undesired consequences like players wanting more money and coaches getting offered jobs.

It's just the way things work. I just hope you're right that Wade is positioning himself for a raise. Bum said in a recent Bob Allen interview that Wade did not want any head coaching gig, but one that was right for him. According to Bum, Wade does not want to have to rebuild a team, so I'm not sure if the Bucs qualify as a team that just needs a head coach to make the difference.

after seeing Wade in his post game interview, I can't think he is going to come off real well in an interview. He looks weak and sick.

Who knows, but I hate that this is a distraction this week.

ps, no idea why I quoted you DB, just adding on not disagreeing with you.

DocBar
01-08-2012, 03:35 PM

And I'm sure the Denver fans weren't too pleased when there was talk of Kubiak coming to Houston. When you get a playoff successful football team, you get the whole package.I see it as more of an ego thing than a money thing. He probably sees all of the things Kubes does as HC and thinks of how he would do them differently(read better). If it is about money, open up that pocket book, Mr. McNair.

Lucky
01-08-2012, 03:36 PM
So did the Texans give this permission for during the off week prior to our Super Bowl appearance? :)

Or has The General gotten it wrong again?

And to the posters who are overreacting to this story: You're overreacting.

GP
01-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Ive talked to you in TWO THREADS, this one and the one about Rackers being a concern. Both of them you blew things our of proportion and were over critical. I see this is a pattern for you.....

You've done in this in far more than just these two threads. And usually, buddyboy comes running to help you out. I swear, it's like clockwork and it's funny as hell.

Like I said, you're new here. Obviously. And I can tell you that in the 10 years I have been here (DAILY, btw) guys like you come and go, trying your hand at tearing me down like this--almost ALWAYS via trash talking and name-calling--and it never lasts. Never.

And that's because you have no staying power, guys like you. You drift in, pick fights like you have, and then you're A.D.D. kicks in and you're off to some other board somewhere to start the process all over again.

I've seen it so many times, it's easy to spot it from a mile away. Have fun, while it lasts.

BetaV1
01-08-2012, 03:38 PM
I'm going to go with "guys, chill" for the time being. So what if he interviews for the job. I don't like it, but it is what it is. I think he'd be dumb to go back to head coaching, but if its something he still wants to do, I won't be all like "F-you Wade!" about it.

GP
01-08-2012, 03:38 PM
half ??? watt, reed, jojo, manning. thats 4 out of 11. and if williams hadnt went down reed wouldnt be starting

I'm telling ya'......you ought to know where this is heading, Ellis.

EllisUnit
01-08-2012, 03:40 PM
I'm telling ya'......you ought to know where this is heading, Ellis.

haha my one down fall has always been that i am REALLY hard headed, i couldnt stop if i wanted to, i would black out and go into texans talk is awesome ;) mode haha

Dutchrudder
01-08-2012, 03:40 PM
I'm not happy about this. It's like Kevin Sumlins crappy distraction that likely cost the Coogs an undefeated season. This isn't the time to be job hunting.

amazing80
01-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Oh, I see. It's just ME complaining huh? LOL. FAIL.

Everybody is worried about it and hates it. But you choose me because you know I'll fight back and spar with you on here.

I know people like you, bro. You do this **** because it puts you up against me and gives you some spotlight on here. Others have come here and tried this same song and dance, and they end up getting banned or they leave. Happens about once every year, actually. So you're not doing anything I don't already know about already.

Try countering my points instead of name-calling. "Whiny *****," and "a girl who had her Barbies taken away," it's all name-calling and you ought to be spoken to by a mod for it. In fact, I've reported your posts to a mod for just that reason. Well, that...AND the way you continuously pick a fight with me.

You're lying (again) when you say things like you do about me. And the name-calling is a gesture born out of your inability to let the facts stand on their own. Everybody is concerned about these Wade rumors. If you're acting like you're not, then you're fooling nobody with the act. Worst to first, in one year, and the defense looked less than stellar when he was gone for surgery and recovering. Period.

A lot of teams out there see it, and they think they can bring him in and replicate the same accomplishment. They don't care if they have to make him a HC to do it...Kubiak was made a HC and basically was hired for his ability to coach QBs and make a good offense. Care to counter this point, or just want to throw out more name-calling against me???

I've neg repped you, you've earned it. First neg rep I've handed out to a fellow Texans fan in several years. Counter my points or shut your trap.

Counter your post? You wasted 20 seconds of my life for reading yet another rant in which included NO FACTS. In case you did not know, your OPINION is not fact. Kubiak took 6 SEASONS to win, do you think any team will give a 65 year old man who just had surgery 6 seasons to win? Don't be naive....

HAHA, you can classify me in any way you'd like. I call it as I see it, I was once told, quantity over quality when posting. You should learn that. Just because you have been around here longer and have a large post count doesn't mean you are going to "bully" me around and threaten me with reporting me to a mod. i called you out for acting out and being whiney, so if I get warned, so be it. Won't be banned for that minor infraction and I definitely WON'T be leaving.

Like I said, Wade is a big improvement on this defense, coaching wise, but to pretend it was ALL him is ignorant. It just is, you are clearly ignoring every fact about his past, present and future I have thrown out at you. The only "argument" and it really isnt even that, you have is that other posters think it is bad for us. LOL, doesn't make any of you right.

For the record, I want him to stay AND think he does, but I will not cry if he leaves and will not whine about an interview like you have chosen to do. i have confidence that we will hire another good DC and our young defense got a taste of greatness, they will continue to thrive for it regardless who is calling the shots. And for Herring a few weeks back, I credit that to winning a division and let down games, also I credit it to Herring being thrown to the wolves and most likely told not to think to much. the team was riding a high from clinching the division and he was prolly nervous as all get out. Can't win them all....

burro
01-08-2012, 03:41 PM
If Wade wants to be a HC, then why not put his record up against Kubiak's and decide objectively who would be the better option for the team. Could Dennison pull off what Kubiak does should we decide to deep six the Kubiak era? Either way, this is bad timing and leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

GP
01-08-2012, 03:43 PM

Yes, I also had that same sort of speculation during the first round of rumors that started flying around several weeks ago.

But now, it seems he's intent upon following up with any interest paid to him in the HC opportunities out there.

He's already the highest paid d-coord, from what I understand. But it's HC money we would be after with this sort of opportunity, and I don't think McNair would dole out more cash just to keep him here. I don't see McNair being a guy who pays hostage takers, though he DID try to keep Dunta and Carr an extra year to try and make it work.......(sigh)........

You never think about this stuff until it happens to your team. Then it hits home. Makes me have a whole new level of understanding about Belichick's ability to remain a winner when all his d-coord and o-coord, etc., were jumping ship for HC jobs. Talk about getting your store robbed!

amazing80
01-08-2012, 03:44 PM

there ellisunit I have HIGHLIGHTED it for you.

Also, I will name them

Watt
reed
manning
JJo
Ryans - INJURY
Barwin- INJURY
Cushing - INJURY, played hurt all season

THATS 7 GUYS, 6 if you take out Cushing. Thats more than half either way. See the point?

And GP, I am not going anywhere. And also, show me the multiple threads I have followed you in, because I am telling you it was 2. This one and rackers, and you attacked me in the Rackers thread first.

Lucky
01-08-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm not happy about this. It's like Kevin Sumlins crappy distraction that likely cost the Coogs an undefeated season. This isn't the time to be job hunting.
There's no credible source that Wade is interviewing for the Bucs job this week. There is a source that shows that the NFL has a rule against interviewing coaches during the playoffs (unless it's a bye week). Nothing to get upset about and no real distractions for this team's preparation for the Ravens.

markn
01-08-2012, 03:47 PM
When your team does well, others want your staff. This is a side-effect of success and I hope it's a problem we have to deal with as often as (for example) New England have.

GP
Counter your post? You wasted 20 seconds of my life for reading yet another rant in which included NO FACTS. In case you did not know, your OPINION is not fact. Kubiak took 6 SEASONS to win, do you think any team will give a 65 year old man who just had surgery 6 seasons to win? Don't be naive....

HAHA, you can classify me in any way you'd like. I call it as I see it, I was once told, quantity over quality when posting. You should learn that. Just because you have been around here longer and have a large post count doesn't mean you are going to "bully" me around and threaten me with reporting me to a mod. i called you out for acting out and being whiney, so if I get warned, so be it. Won't be banned for that minor infraction and I definitely WON'T be leaving.

Like I said, Wade is a big improvement on this defense, coaching wise, but to pretend it was ALL him is ignorant. It just is, you are clearly ignoring every fact about his past, present and future I have thrown out at you. The only "argument" and it really isnt even that, you have is that other posters think it is bad for us. LOL, doesn't make any of you right.

For the record, I want him to stay AND think he does, but I will not cry if he leaves and will not whine about an interview like you have chosen to do. i have confidence that we will hire another good DC and our young defense got a taste of greatness, they will continue to thrive for it regardless who is calling the shots. And for Herring a few weeks back, I credit that to winning a division and let down games, also I credit it to Herring being thrown to the wolves and most likely told not to think to much. the team was riding a high from clinching the division and he was prolly nervous as all get out. Can't win them all....

Hows about I just put you on ignore? That's the next logical step, and I'll be the bigger man to do it. OK?

This way, I won't see your ****...so you can name-call away and get your ass steamrolled one day for it. If I don't see your trash talk, I won't take your bait. If I don't take your bait, you'll leave me alone at some point or sabotage yourself and get rolled out of here by a mod.

Welcome to the list. You're the only one on it. It's reserved for that rare breed of "person" who just wants to start fights. I was minding my own business, having discussion with others, and you rolled into the thread and predictably started talking **** on me when there are others on here saying similar things about this topic. Say Watt is a guy you aren't trolling on, why doesn't HE get some of your special home cooking???? Point made. Stalker.

Last interaction with me, Andre80. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

TexansFanatic
Teams may not interview assistants from another team for either a lateral move or a head coaching opportunity during the season. The lone exception to this rule comes when teams want to interview assistants for head coaching jobs while the current team is in the playoffs. As there is an urgency to hire new head coaches for some non-playoff teams, the NFL does allow teams to request permission to interview a postseason participant's assistants during the wild card week for teams who have the bye that week. They can also request permission to do so during the first week of Super Bowl preparations as long as there is a two-week break between the conference championships and the Super Bowl. The team only has one chance to talk to the assistant coach, once permission is granted, before the coach's team is eliminated from the playoffs.

Someone help me out. What I gather from that quote is that the rule prevents Tampa Bay from contacting Phillips because the Texans didn't have a bye during the wild card round and this isn't the two week break period prior to the Super Bowl. Is my reading comprehension failing me?

Say Watt
01-08-2012, 03:48 PM

This!!!

amazing80
John McClain
@McClain_on_NFL
Phillips should interview with Bucs Friday. "I'm gratified somebody noticed. I don't want to leave Hst but I want 2 b a head coach."

Say Watt
There's no credible source that Wade is interviewing for the Bucs job this week. There is a source that shows that the NFL has a rule against interviewing coaches during the playoffs (unless it's a bye week). Nothing to get upset about and no real distractions for this team's preparation for the Ravens.

I hope you are right.

Wolf
Wade signed a three year contract with the Texans .if I recall

Playoffs
01-08-2012, 03:49 PM
after seeing Wade in his post game interview, I can't think he is going to come off real well in an interview. He looks weak and sick.That's my concern -- how will his strength hold up?

And to the posters who are overreacting to this story: You're overreacting.:lol:

There's no credible source that Wade is interviewing for the Bucs job this week. "They called," Phillips said. "The club notified me and gave them permission to talk. The window is a couple of weeks that you can talk. So I expect to talk to them later this week."

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nfl/120108-tampa-bay-to-interview-wade-phillips

Lucky
01-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Someone help me out. What I gather from that quote is that the rule prevents Tampa Bay from contacting Phillips because the Texans didn't have a bye during the wild card round and this isn't the two week break period prior to the Super Bowl. Is my reading comprehension failing me?
No, your interpretation is absolutely correct. Had John McClain bothered to research this, the forum would not be in a panic.

Thanks, John.

DocBar
01-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Someone help me out. What I gather from that quote is that the rule prevents Tampa Bay from contacting Phillips because the Texans didn't have a bye during the wild card round and this isn't the two week break period prior to the Super Bowl. Is my reading comprehension failing me?Maybe the NFL will give us their 1st rounder in the draft for tampering....

EllisUnit
01-08-2012, 03:50 PM

Also, I will name them

Watt
reed
manning
JJo
Ryans - INJURY
Barwin- INJURY

THATS 7 GUYS, 6 if you take out Cushing. Thats more than half either way. See the point?

And GP, I am not going anywhere. And also, show me the multiple threads I have followed you in, because I am telling you it was 2. This one and rackers, and you attacked me in the Rackers thread first.

seriously are you ****ing kidding me. Ryans, Barwin and Cushing. No **** they were hurt but they all did play some last season. And have you looked at Wades career as a D.C he has took every team to the play off in his first year as a D.C. Get outta here with that ****, not to mention Wade had a big impact on the draft and getting watt and reed.

amazing80
01-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Hows about I just put you on ignore? That's the next logical step, and I'll be the bigger man to do it. OK?

This way, I won't see your ****...so you can name-call away and get your ass steamrolled one day for it. If I don't see your trash talk, I won't take your bait. If I don't take your bait, you'll leave me alone at some point or sabotage yourself and get rolled out of here by a mod.

Welcome to the list. You're the only one on it. It's reserved for that rare breed of "person" who just wants to start fights. I was minding my own business, having discussion with others, and you rolled into the thread and predictably started talking **** on me when there are others on here saying similar things about this topic. Say Watt is a guy you aren't trolling on, why doesn't HE get some of your special home cooking???? Point made. Stalker.

Last interaction with me, Andre80. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

LOL, you probably cannot see this, but seriously man, are you kidding me? You are the classic case of over reaction. It is a message board to debate things, not run and hide when someone disagrees with you. Grow up and debate like a man calmly or stay in hiding. Either way life goes on.

dream_team
01-08-2012, 03:52 PM
I was hoping Wade would be our Dick LeBeau... failed at head coach, so is content with being a DC for the rest of his career. But I think it's pretty obvious Wade wants one more shot at being HC. He made that pretty clear in his statements the past couple of weeks.

You can't blame him, most of these coaches want to be the head guy. Just like you do in your everyday job, when you have a chance at a promotion, a big raise, you'd jump to take it...even if it's with another company.

As for interviewing in the middle of the playoff run... unfortunately, that happens all the time and the nature of the business. Look at the Pats OC. Bucs want to hire someone soon. If Wade says, "Can you wait until our season is done?" Then he'll miss his opportunity and the Bucs will move on with someone else.

amazing80
01-08-2012, 03:53 PM
seriously are you ****ing kidding me. Ryans, Barwin and Cushing. No **** they were hurt but they all did play some last season. And have you looked at Wades career as a D.C he has took every team to the play off in his first year as a D.C. Get outta here with that ****, not to mention Wade had a big impact on the draft and getting watt and reed.

How many playoff games has he won as a HC or DC? Can you tell me? Getting the playoffs is great, but don't you want more? How many super bowl rings does he have, even as a DC?

Barwin was injured on like the first play of the game last season. Cushing missed 4 games, then Ryans almost immediately went out and Cushing bounced around, not to mention was injured himself. Are you claiming our defense did not get much better talent wise compared to last season?

Dutchrudder
01-08-2012, 03:53 PM

Also, I will name them

Watt
reed
manning
JJo
Ryans - INJURY
Barwin- INJURY

To add to this, the changing of positions also impacts players. Every LB on the team had to change the way they play. Mario had to lose 20 or so pounds to be quick enough to play OLB. Barwin barely played before this year and had to switch to OlB too. Quin moved to safety, Cody switched to nose... Moving pieces all over the place, lots of new blood and Wade has managed to bring it all together. He has done a tremendous job this year and is the most valuable coach we have. I would hate to lose him because I think the defense would regress next year regardless of who we hire.

Lucky
01-08-2012, 03:54 PM
John McClain
@McClain_on_NFL
Phillips should interview with Bucs Friday. "I'm gratified somebody noticed. I don't want to leave Hst but I want 2 b a head coach."
Has anyone asked McClain on Twitter how Phillips could interview with the Bucs when there is a NFL rule that prohibits such?

And when did Wade start texting like a teenage girl? "2 b"?

TexanSam
01-08-2012, 03:56 PM
If he leaves, he leaves. He's said he wants to be a head coach again and if a team grants him that opportunity I'm not going to fault him for taking it.

GP
01-08-2012, 03:57 PM

I think you're reading correctly, and in which case SHOULD mean that Wade was off-limits to being contacted/spoken to....but this is a game that they all play in terms of rules like this, and we all know that he's been contacted in some form or another.

He's probably had his dad speaking with Bucs front office. I mean, why wouldn't Bum do that for him? He did it last offseason by meeting with McNair. This is why I said such strong things about the Phillips family earlier in this thread, it's beginning to be a trend: Wade looking out for Wade, daddy looking out for Wade.

Is it because he wants the HC job in Houston, and he knows Kubiak is in his last year here in 2012 (IIRC). Maybe. Does he want a raise? Maybe. Is he really, truly interested in the Bucs job? Maybe.

Just too many "maybes" for my tastes. This should be 100% focus on the Ravens and nothing more. It will take a Herculean effort to beat the Ravens in their stadium. This stuff is bad for Texans fans, promising for Bucs fans, so you know which side of the fence I'm on with it. It SUCKS!

Fili
01-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Am I reading that wrong? It says he can only interview during wilcard week only if that team has a bye?

It means teams like Ravens, Pats, Packs, and 49ers can be interviewed. 1st round bye teams in other words.

EllisUnit
01-08-2012, 03:59 PM
How many playoff games has he won as a HC or DC? Can you tell me? Getting the playoffs is great, but don't you want more? How many super bowl rings does he have, even as a DC?

Barwin was injured on like the first play of the game last season. Cushing missed 4 games, then Ryans almost immediately went out and Cushing bounced around, not to mention was injured himself. Are you claiming our defense did not get much better talent wise compared to last season?

hard to get to a super bowl if you dont make the play offs..... not to mention its a whole new scheme and wade put our guys in position to win. Barwin and mario went from DE to OLB, Quin from CB to safety. the packages as well. And how do we get to a superbowl when our D.C is interviewing for other jobs 2 days before the 2nd round of the playoffs.

amazing80
01-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Has anyone asked McClain on Twitter how Phillips could interview with the Bucs when there is a NFL rule that prohibits such?

LOL great points. I am not sure. I do not even have twitter, I just saw this on another site I frequent. (Very reliable site). Another poster a few posts before quoted him again, in an article or interview, whatever that was.

Sucks if we lose him, but I doubt we do.

Here is what I posted on page 5 in case people missed it. Some interesting stats from his career...

Of course they will interview him, along with COUNTLESS other people. The guy has a 1-5 HC playoff record and during 04-06 with Chargers as DC he did not win a playoff game and during the Vick years in 02-03 he won ONE playoff game as DC. Yes he is great, but we have 5 starters on this team that did not play last season (Watt, Reed, Manning, Joseph and Barwin, not to mention a healthy Ryans, Cushing and a full season with Allen). We upgraded poor talent ( Pollard, Wilson, Okoye, Diles, Bentley, Adibi, Lewis, etc).

Wolf
01-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Replacing bush with wade and his coaches was the key. Every year a player was in frank bush or Richard smith's system. The player regressed

Wade knows how to put players in positions to excell

Wolf
01-08-2012, 04:01 PM

Yeah, my bs meter was going off when I read the tweet

amazing80
01-08-2012, 04:02 PM
hard to get to a super bowl if you dont make the play offs..... not to mention its a whole new scheme and wade put our guys in position to win. Barwin and mario went from DE to OLB, Quin from CB to safety. the packages as well. And how do we get to a superbowl when our D.C is interviewing for other jobs 2 days before the 2nd round of the playoffs.

So we get another qualified 3-4 coach. The moves have been made and the blue print is there. Just follow it and add some wrinkles. As fans, we use to debate whether bringing in Cowher was the best choice being a 3-4 coach, clearly that was the best move. Our players seem to fit better there and with watt and reed added it only solidifies that choice. We all want Wade, but the NFL is a business, sometimes it sucks, but we need to have faith that Rick Smith will grab another great DC.

Wolf
01-08-2012, 04:04 PM
How many "great" coordinators are out there?

amazing80
01-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Sherman has been the front winner since before the weekend, I am sure they are just kicking the tires on ol' Wade. Just like we would be doing if we were them. Lots of good YOUNG coaches out there.

c10x
01-08-2012, 04:05 PM

McClain shortened it for twitter. The quote is accurate. Read chron.com

GP
01-08-2012, 04:06 PM
If he leaves, he leaves. He's said he wants to be a head coach again and if a team grants him that opportunity I'm not going to fault him for taking it.

Would you fault him if you found out that Wade was merely using the opportunity in Houston to get another job as a HC as soon as he could land one?

Because frankly, it's what it looks like. Arian Foster chose the Texans because (a) we offered him the most UDFA money, and (B) he said he had a better chance at unseating Slaton and winning the starting job than he would have had if he tried to go to the Saints who offered him slightly less UDFA money than we did.

Now it's appearing, as usual, that Wade Phillips saw the Texans had enough pieces and that he could get control of the draft and hit on a few more guys for his defense to fill the holes...AND get the two big free agents he wanted to bolster the secondary. Wade has Kubiak's consistently GOOD offense, too, which further enhances the Houston d-coord job in his eyes.

Now? Now he gets to parlay that into a HC gig. He had his dad go and angle McNair for the d-coord job last off-season, and I don't know if his dad could be seen as being complicit in some grand scheme of Wade's to get a HC gig again. But it is plausible. Fathers and sons who have strong bonds with one another could easily conspire to set Wade up to do any number of things: Be a d-coord on Houston for a long, long time....or watch Kubiak get fired and Wade get promoted to HC of the Texans...or Kubiak stays and Wade does enough to get a gig somewhere else. It's a win-win-win for the Phillips family. Great odds!

So IMO, it certainly seems any talk of how Wade loves Houston and Bum loves his son being in Houston, and blah blah blah....is just babble. Wade comes off as knowing he won't get to be HC of the Texans like his daddy was, and so now he's off to find a way to be a successful HC somewhere else.

Doesn't seem like it's too far out of the realm of possibility.

EllisUnit
So we get another qualified 3-4 coach. The moves have been made and the blue print is there. Just follow it and add some wrinkles. As fans, we use to debate whether bringing in Cowher was the best choice being a 3-4 coach, clearly that was the best move. Our players seem to fit better there and with watt and reed added it only solidifies that choice. We all want Wade, but the NFL is a business, sometimes it sucks, but we need to have faith that Rick Smith will grab another great DC.

My point is wade can wait till after the play offs to take care of his buisness that has been my whole point the whole time. Whos to say our next D.C and the one after and the one after dont all go interview for jobs in the playoffs.

GlassHalfFull
Sherman has been the front winner since before the weekend, I am sure they are just kicking the tires on ol' Wade. Just like we would be doing if we were them. Lots of good YOUNG coaches out there.

Not trying to pick on you, but I had to laugh at the contradictions in this post.

amazing80
01-08-2012, 04:08 PM

Depends if they want a defensive or offensive guy.

Gregg Williams, IMO is the best and MUCH younger than Wade.
Perry Fewell
Tedd Bowles
Greg Olson, Bucs lol
Mike Sherman
Brian Billick
Jon Gruden
Wade Phillips, had to list him
Green Bay qb coach

There are guys out there and I doubt Wade wins out over them. Too old, too sick, and never did anything as HC, why try something that has NEVER worked when you can try a new route?

amazing80
01-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Not trying to pick on you, but I had to laugh at the contradictions in this post.

I meant to add lots of good young candidates TOO. Sherman is the front runner, plus good younger coordinators out there also. personally I would go with a younger guy. Or a guy like Gruden or Cowher, if you can get them.

ChampionTexan
01-08-2012, 04:10 PM

Consider the fact that we had three INT's yesterday, by three different defenders, and not one of them was on the roster (or even IR) for us last year.

TexanSam
01-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Would you fault him if you found out that Wade was merely using the opportunity in Houston to get another job as a HC as soon as he could land one?

Because frankly, it's what it looks like. Arian Foster chose the Texans because (a) we offered him the most UDFA money, and (B) he said he had a better chance at unseating Slaton and winning the starting job than he would have had if he tried to go to the Saints who offered him slightly less UDFA money than we did.

Now it's appearing, as usual, that Wade Phillips saw the Texans had enough pieces and that he could get control of the draft and hit on a few more guys for his defense to fill the holes...AND get the two big free agents he wanted to bolster the secondary. Wade has Kubiak's consistently GOOD offense, too, which further enhances the Houston d-coord job in his eyes.

Now? Now he gets to parlay that into a HC gig. He had his dad go and angle McNair for the d-coord job last off-season, and I don't know if his dad could be seen as being complicit in some grand scheme of Wade's to get a HC gig again. But it is plausible. Fathers and sons who have strong bonds with one another could easily conspire to set Wade up to do any number of things: Be a d-coord on Houston for a long, long time....or watch Kubiak get fired and Wade get promoted to HC of the Texans...or Kubiak stays and Wade does enough to get a gig somewhere else. It's a win-win-win for the Phillips family. Great odds!

So IMO, it certainly seems any talk of how Wade loves Houston and Bum loves his son being in Houston, and blah blah blah....is just babble. Wade comes off as knowing he won't get to be HC of the Texans like his daddy was, and so now he's off to find a way to be a successful HC somewhere else.

Doesn't seem like it's too far out of the realm of possibility.

Wouldn't fault him at all. I figure that would be the mindset of any coordinator who's been a head coach before. I don't know that many coordinators who have been coaches are merely content in staying as coordinators. If any opportunity comes to interview for a HC gig, I doubt any would turn it down.

Kimmy
01-08-2012, 04:12 PM
It's amazing we are having this much discussion. Remember just a year ago when our TT banner read 'WARY'?

What a difference a year makes :)

Sent from my Sprint EVO 3D using Tapatalk

amazing80
01-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Not to mention Zimmer and mike mularkey would be better. Kevin Greene from Green Bay, there is not way Wade gets a HC job at his age lol.

Playoffs
01-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Casserly says Phillips interviews Friday afternoon in Houston.

Don't know why I was only thinking Wade would travel to interview. http://www.nouilles.info/illustrations/smileypoll1/dunce.gif

amazing80
01-08-2012, 04:16 PM

Makes me smile, he isn't even healthy enough to want to fly there to interview, do you guys really worry he will get offered the job/

CMON MAN!

Wolf
01-08-2012, 04:17 PM
speaking of McClain :toropalm:

Foster has 24 carries for 153 yards and 2 TDs. Texans lead 31-14. They'll play Sunday at noon at Baltimore, where they lost 29-15.
20 hours ago

John McClain
Foster just ran 42 yards for a touchdown to make it 31-14. It was his second touchdown. What a run down the right sideline for Foster.
20 hours ago

I never saw the 2nd TD by the Bengals
:rake:

amazing80
01-08-2012, 04:18 PM
speaking of McClain :toropalm:

I never saw the 2nd TD by the Bengals
:rake:

omg, pathetic. I do not understand how he messes up such simple things.

GlassHalfFull
01-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Makes me smile, he isn't even healthy enough to want to fly there to interview, do you guys really worry he will get offered the job/

CMON MAN!

ummmm, he probably is interviewing in Houston because we have a playoff game on Sunday and he can't take the time to fly there.

I hope they see his as old and frail also, and that they end up wanting young blood, but I am not going to pretend I have a crystal ball and know what is going to happen.

ChampionTexan
01-08-2012, 04:19 PM
So did the Texans give this permission for during the off week prior to our Super Bowl appearance? :)

Or has The General gotten it wrong again?

And to the posters who are overreacting to this story: You're overreacting.

Not sure what's correct, but this article implies that for non-bye teams, their assistants can be interviewed for HC jobs during the week between the WC and Divisional games, with the time and place to be approved by the team the assistant coaches team.

Should the Bucs have an interest in talking to Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey, for example, they will have to wait until after the Falcons play in this week's wild card playoff game to do so.

Even then, their opportunity for contact may be limited. If the Falcons advance to the next round of the playoffs, the Bucs would have only the week between the wild card game and the divisional playoff round to speak with Mularkey.bolding added for emphasis

The article goes on to indicate that McClain's comment is correct.
No matter the candidate, the team currently employing him has the right to approve the time and location of the interview for as long as the prospective coach's team is still alive in the playoffs.
LINK (http://www2.tbo.com/sports/breaking-news/2012/jan/03/1/bucs-must-follow-rules-when-interviewing-coaching--ar-343228/)

GP
01-08-2012, 04:20 PM

McNair better be out there trying to find a guy to replace Wade, or he'll be watching d-coordinators fly off the shelf and get caught with his pants down if Wade leaves.

I'd take an ultra-proactive stance, call Wade's bluff, and let his agent know that if he goes and interviews before the playoff game...he's out of our future here immediately and can be free to discuss those things as a person no longer employed by the Texans.

It's time to strong-arm a guy like Wade and make sure he knows who butters his bread and that it took a lot of hard work by more than just Wade Phillips to make Wade a viable HC candidate again.

I tell ya'....this makes me respect Kubiak out of sheer DEFAULT of what is going on with Wade. Now, it's not like Kubiak was going to abandon the ship and go sail away with some other lover like Wade might be attempting, but still.

You can only imagine the amount of pressure and anxiety Kubiak went through when he saw Bum angling the d-coord job for his boy Wade. He knew full well that Wade being on the staff meant it was a short track to the HC gig if he (Kubiak) regressed on offense. Down goes Foster in preseason, down goes Tate in preseason. Down goes Foster for something like 4 reg season games, IIRC, and down goes AJ early in the season. Down goes Schaub for the year. Down goes Leinart in one half of football. Yates thrust into the starter's role. Briesel goes down. Yates clutch TD vs Bengals to win the AFC South ad secure a playoff spot for the first time in our history.

I'm swinging away from the "Wade Phillips" side of the fence here. Considering the pressure Kubiak felt from injuries to his key players, and from inherent pressure from the mere presence of Wade Phillips on his staff this year (a year of "Must Win" expectations), Kubiak showed a lot of resolve to me this year.

Wade is hurting his stock value, IMO.

Marcus
01-08-2012, 04:20 PM

LOL yeah I think some of these guys need to send out their BS meters out to be re-calibrated. :)

John McClain on Twitter?? Seriously, hasn't anyone ever heard the term "consider the source"?

Playoffs
01-08-2012, 04:21 PM
speaking of McClain :toropalm:He gets food in his eyes...

amazing80
01-08-2012, 04:23 PM
ummmm, he probably is interviewing in Houston because we have a playoff game on Sunday and he can't take the time to fly there.

I hope they see his as old and frail also, and that they end up wanting young blood, but I am not going to pretend I have a crystal ball and know what is going to happen.

I think of myself as an optimistic/realist. I am pretty positive he wouldn't take it, BUT at the same time, I am even more positive they won't offer it. Again, too old, too sick, not a good enough HC record. Not a good resume for a guy 65 years old (before next season).

GP
01-08-2012, 04:23 PM

Don't know why I was only thinking Wade would travel to interview. http://www.nouilles.info/illustrations/smileypoll1/dunce.gif

That certainly seems like they are VERY interested in him, to come to Houston so he doesn't have to travel (due to recovery from surgery).

I think he's definitely in the mix. Won't say he's got the job, but will say that I think he's in their Top 3 for sure.

Buffi2
01-08-2012, 04:27 PM
A little off topic - but will he be able to travel to Baltimore? And, on topic, I'm very disappointed in Wade. I know he isn't getting any younger, but he really should wait until next year to think about an HC position.

I have a feeling he has no idea of the wrath of the Texan fans that will fall on him should he decide to leave.

TexanSam
01-08-2012, 04:29 PM
McNair better be out there trying to find a guy to replace Wade, or he'll be watching d-coordinators fly off the shelf and get caught with his pants down if Wade leaves.

I'd take an ultra-proactive stance, call Wade's bluff, and let his agent know that if he goes and interviews before the playoff game...he's out of our future here immediately and can be free to discuss those things as a person no longer employed by the Texans.

It's time to strong-arm a guy like Wade and make sure he knows who butters his bread and that it took a lot of hard work by more than just Wade Phillips to make Wade a viable HC candidate again.

I don't really understand this. So you want us to fire Wade if he interviews with Tampa Bay? Okay, lets say we do that and whoever replaces Wade also does a good job next season and is asked to interview during the playoffs (if we make it). Do you want us to fire that person too in that scenario?

This is just the way the NFL works. Teams want to fill their HC position early. Teams aren't going to start denying their assistants the opportunity to interview for a HC gig. If they did, then it's likely that assistants with a good pedigree wouldn't even consider going to coach for that team because they aren't given the same opportunity to get a HC job as other teams give their assistants.

Grid
01-08-2012, 04:29 PM
The thing is...

Houston loves the Phillips family. We really want him here.. so obviously there are going to be some hurt feelings if he ups and leaves after just one year.. especially since he has had such a huge impact on our team. His leaving would be perceived as a complete lack of concern for the fortunes of Houston football.

Then there is the fact that we are in the middle of our first playoff run in franchise history. Emotions are high.. everyone is both elated and worried about the outcome.. and this interview is poorly timed. What if this is a distraction for him? Does it even matter if it is a distraction for him? Even if it has zero effect on his ability to prepare our defense for the Ravens.. if we go out there and our defense struggles even a little bit, people will be blaming phillips for not putting 100% into the defense this week.

On top of that is the worry that this could have an adverse effect on the spirit of our defense. Will our players lose their faith in Phillips since it seems he is now so eager to leave them? Will they begin distancing themselves from him since he will no longer be seen as "one of the guys"? How much his interviewing have an impact on our team's morale? Like the above example though...even if it has no impact at all... people will still perceive it as having had an impact if our team doesnt play well.

If Phillips does accept the position and we dont do well against the Ravens.. Phillips will have pretty much burned all bridges to houston. He will stop being the greatest DC we have ever had and the son of our most beloved head coach.. and he will become the guy that didnt give a **** about the city, and abandoned us when we needed him most.

Its just a bad idea. If they wanted to interview him..Phillips should have told them he will talk to them after the playoffs or not at all. He has created a situation where he will have a hard time avoiding at least part of the city's ire, if not the entire city's.

steelbtexan
01-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Wade > Gary, Gary 0-2 without Wade.

Fire Gary = Keep Dennison = Wade= HC.

See how easy that was.

If Wade leaves Gary will revert back to being Gary.

srrono
01-08-2012, 04:33 PM
NFL has the Rooney Rule, established in 2003,[1] requires National Football League teams to interview minority candidates for head coaching.

Now the NFL to establish the Wade Rule which requires National Football League teams to interview Age Challenged candidates for head coaching.

LOL just kidding.

Wolf
01-08-2012, 04:35 PM
omg, pathetic. I do not understand how he messes up such simple things.

another Gem
Dalton will be 1-3 at Reliant Stadium. He's been sacked 4 times. Most this season was 3. He has 3 INTs.

Dalton is 3-1 at reliant ...(he won twice in HS,once in College)

noxiousdog
01-08-2012, 04:35 PM
You guys crack me up. This is how things are and have been done for years.

I'm going to be extremely dissapointed if Tampa hires him, but I don't hold it against him. The number of coordinators who would turn down an interview are 2 as far as I know. LeBeau and Jim Johnson (Philly).

Would any of you turn down the opportunity to increase your salary 4-fold in order to do something you love to do?

Playoffs
01-08-2012, 04:36 PM
This is business ... it's not personal, Sonny, it's strictly business!!!

GP
01-08-2012, 04:37 PM
I'd offer Bill Cowher whatever he would want as head coach, and tell him he's d-coord and assistant head coach.

Kubiak won't mind. He's entrenched as HC and he knows it. If he survived Wade Phillips, he would survive Cowher too. And it would mean a nasty, mean-ass d-coord the players would love even MORE than Wade. Bank on it.

Cowher makes people want to run through walls. Cushing and Braman are his type of guys. JJ Watt would be, as well. 'Meco. Manning. Joseph.

This team is stocked and primed for a guy like Cowher to re-enter the NFL and take off running with it. Coach's salary do not count against the cap, either.

It's a bold move. More bold than when Wade was hired last off-season. It would say that McNair won't stop until he gets what he wants. It would be universally respected in and out of the locker room.

EllisUnit
01-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Wade > Gary, Gary 0-2 without Wade.

Fire Gary = Keep Dennison = Wade= HC.

See how easy that was.

If Wade leaves Gary will revert back to being Gary.

:toropalm: really

blitz90
01-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Dumb question but if TB hires Wade he wouldn't leave before our playoff run was over, correct?

Rick_Moon
01-08-2012, 04:41 PM
I'd offer Bill Cowher whatever he would want as head coach, and tell him he's d-coord and assistant head coach.

Kubiak won't mind. He's entrenched as HC and he knows it. If he survived Wade Phillips, he would survive Cowher too. And it would mean a nasty, mean-ass d-coord the players would love even MORE than Wade. Bank on it.

Cowher makes people want to run through walls. Cushing and Braman are his type of guys. JJ Watt would be, as well. 'Meco. Manning. Joseph.

This team is stocked and primed for a guy like Cowher to re-enter the NFL and take off running with it. Coach's salary do not count against the cap, either.

It's a bold move. More bold than when Wade was hired last off-season. It would say that McNair won't stop until he gets what he wants. It would be universally respected in and out of the locker room.

That would be my dream scenario, but I think Cowher will only accept a HC job. I would forever love Kubiak if he kept a HC salary, but became the OC to allow Cowher to become the HC.

Buffi2
01-08-2012, 04:43 PM
You guys crack me up. This is how things are and have been done for years.

I'm going to be extremely dissapointed if Tampa hires him, but I don't hold it against him. The number of coordinators who would turn down an interview are 2 as far as I know. LeBeau and Jim Johnson (Philly).

Would any of you turn down the opportunity to increase your salary 4-fold in order to do something you love to do?

There is turning down a job when you are 37 and there is turning down a job when you are 64. Believe me, there is a huge, colossal difference there. Since I've been both, I can say that....

Yes, I would honestly turn it down -if I were 64, my parents were still alive in the city that loved me and where I had a job that I loved, I was the highest paid in that job of any other in the industry and I'd probably ask for a raise.

But if I were under 60? No, I'd head out as fast as my little legs would carry me.

Also, given the state of Wade's health which could be a factor - I'd rather be close to doctors in Houston than doctors in Tampa Bay.

EllisUnit
01-08-2012, 04:44 PM
That would be my dream scenario, but I think Cowher will only accept a HC job. I would forever love Kubiak if he kept a HC salary, but became the OC to allow Cowher to become the HC.

even after this fans still calling for a new H.C. the guy just cant win. We lose Foster for some time, lose AJ, lose Leinart, and Schaub for the season, win our first play off game 31-10 and he still needs to be replaced ??? Did having wade as D.C help, it sure did but through all the offensive injuries Kubiak has kept the offense rolling and confident.

Wolf
01-08-2012, 04:45 PM
if Wade goes to TB he could take Mario with him :runaway::kitten:

GP
01-08-2012, 04:47 PM
This is business ... it's not personal, Sonny, it's strictly business!!!

I like this movie quote better (Smokey and The Bandit):

"She insulted my town. My author-ity. She insulted my son. Shut up! She insulted my author-ity. And that's nuthin' but pure and simple, good old-fashioned COMMUNISM! Happens EVERY time those dancers start poon-tang'ing around with those show folk fags. (shakes his head)...I can see her now. Runnin' back up the aisle, no...she was DANCIN' back up that aisle. Them knockers bouncing all over the joint. Let go of that wheel! (slaps Junior's hand away from the wheel). Her ass was wiggling' too!"

LOL.

This accurately describes my mood right now. I feel Buford T. Justice's pain right now. Some floozie (Bucs front office) trying to ruin our day.

Kaiser Toro
01-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Wade's career coaching record is 82-59 as compared to Kubiak's awesome six year run of 47-49.

The best coach on a staff is in demand, what is so unusual with that?

Rick_Moon
01-08-2012, 04:51 PM
even after this fans still calling for a new H.C. the guy just cant win. We lose Foster for some time, lose AJ, lose Leinart, and Schaub for the season, win our first play off game 31-10 and he still needs to be replaced ??? Did having wade as D.C help, it sure did but through all the offensive injuries Kubiak has kept the offense rolling and confident.

Way to overreact... again. I never said Kubiak sucks or anything like that, it was a scenario to get another great defensive coach in case Wade bails. This is all speculation at this point, so please chill out, and try to enjoy the ride. Maybe take some time off of the forums.

amazing80
01-08-2012, 04:52 PM

Agreed, the thought of getting rid of Kubiak because Wade leaves is MIND BLOWING. Gary has improved ten fold and the team is finally the way he wants. You don't just get rid of him, especially after a playoff win and a division championship LOL.

Also, the thought of Cowher coming here to be Assistant HC and DC ir LOL worthy. the guy wants to run the front office including GM like he basically did in Pit. Why would he take a back seat to Gary? Would LOVE IT, but never going to happen.

IF Wade leaves, which I doubt, we would interview Herring and look at a few other choices. I just hope we do not rush to hire Herring, just because he is on staff now. We would need to do our due diligence and shop around.

Also, I doubt Wade would leave during the playoffs. He would finish the season and then leave if he took the job.

Fox
01-08-2012, 04:53 PM
lol so many temper tantrums in one thread, amazing.

Wade wants to be a head coach, who are we to tell him he can't? The head coaching carousel doesn't wait for you to be knocked out to decide who they want to hire. When a job opens up you're interested in, you take the interview as soon as you can, period. All this crap about waiting to get knocked out is just butt hurt reasoning, that's just not how it works.

Also, about this being bad houston football juju, take a look at most good teams in the NFL. It's hardly uncommon to be a victim of your own success. How many Patriots assistants go on to be head coaches? Let's see, McDaniels, Crennel, now O'Brien, Weis, etc, etc and that's just one team. This is the kind of thing that happens when you have a lot of success, so if we continue having success you should just get used to it. Hardly a Houston thing, it just seems that way because we've never had so much success from a coordinator.

EllisUnit
01-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Way to overreact... again. I never said Kubiak sucks or anything like that, it was a scenario to get another great defensive coach in case Wade bails. This is all speculation at this point, so please chill out, and try to enjoy the ride. Maybe take some time off of the forums.

buddy u obviously have not been around here long, that is me chilled.

GP
01-08-2012, 04:55 PM

Kubiak deserves to be here. He waded (literally, I suppose) through a lot of lean years and held it together until the calvary could arrive.

I think he should stay HC, but that we need another hired gun type of d-coord like we had in Wade (assuming Wade gets a HC gig somewhere, of course). To me, there is a guy who would command a lot of respect and attention of the players on defense, who has been around 3-4 defenses a long time, and who has championship experience. He's currently on a CBS TV set with some other former NFL players. Look, he wants a lot of money? Done deal. He wants full command of the defense? Done deal. You couldn't ask for a better re-entry into the NFL coaching world than to inherit the defense we have, coupled with the offense we have.

If Cowher cherishes the toil and the crap sandwiches that being a HC offers him, then he's entitled to that belief. But I just wonder if the guy could be able to see that the Houston d-coord gig, and the money, it's something worth its weight in gold. If Wade wants to cast these pearls to pigs, let some guy like Cowher be the beneficiary of it.

Of course, he'll end up leaving too. BUT, I'll take borrowed time at this point.

ArlingtonTexan
01-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Dumb question but if TB hires Wade he wouldn't leave before our playoff run was over, correct?

Yes, generally the coordinator finishes the season with his current team before moving to his new heading coaching job.

Overall, there has been little evidence that NFL teams/players have been conistently distracted by coordinators interviewing/leaving.

noxiousdog
01-08-2012, 05:02 PM
There is turning down a job when you are 37 and there is turning down a job when you are 64. Believe me, there is a huge, colossal difference there. Since I've been both, I can say that....

Yes, I would honestly turn it down -if I were 64, my parents were still alive in the city that loved me and where I had a job that I loved, I was the highest paid in that job of any other in the industry and I'd probably ask for a raise.

But if I were under 60? No, I'd head out as fast as my little legs would carry me.

Also, given the state of Wade's health which could be a factor - I'd rather be close to doctors in Houston than doctors in Tampa Bay.

I get it, and frankly, I'm kind of surprised he wants to do it, but I don't have any animosity for him making the decision.

srrono
01-08-2012, 05:04 PM
http://www.coacheshotseat.com/DefensiveCoordinatorsTop100AssistantCoaches.htm

Kaiser Toro
01-08-2012, 05:11 PM
http://www.coacheshotseat.com/DefensiveCoordinatorsTop100AssistantCoaches.htm

What is this? Upon my first view it is hot garbage.

GP
01-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Gene Chizik, not on the hot seat at Auburn. But his strength is serving as d-coord where he's had tremendous success at both Auburn and at University of Texas. Here's more on the guy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Chizik):

Chizik later employed a very similar scheme at Auburn, where he served again as the defensive coordinator and secondary coach from 2002–04. During this time, he had some of the greatest successes of his career to date. He coached in three bowl games, the 2003 Capital One Bowl, 2004 Music City Bowl, and 2005 Sugar Bowl. His 2004 defensive unit led the country in scoring defense, giving up 11.3 points per game,[6] and the total defense ranked 5th, which is the same ranking the 2003 team recorded.[7] He garnered the 2004 Broyles Award, which is given each year to the top assistant coach in the nation. The 2004 Auburn Tigers football team finished 13-0 that year, won the SEC title, and defeated Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl. It placed second in the final AP and Coaches polls.[8]

In 2005, Chizik was hired by Texas to serve as their co-defensive coordinator, assistant head coach, and linebackers coach.[9] During his time at Texas, the team won the 2005 NCAA Division I-A national football championship by defeating USC in the 2006 Rose Bowl.

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/462992/51728551_071d42b545.jpg

DocBar
01-08-2012, 05:16 PM
That certainly seems like they are VERY interested in him, to come to Houston so he doesn't have to travel (due to recovery from surgery).

I think he's definitely in the mix. Won't say he's got the job, but will say that I think he's in their Top 3 for sure.I wouldn't be surprised at all if it were a video interview. No need to fly all over the country for these kinds of things.
I agree with what you've said about Kubiak having to deal with the mere presence of Phillips. That's very uncomfortable.
On the other hand, I think you're overreacting in a big way to this news. Why would you fault someone for wanting to get a promotion? This is all very ordinary.

GP
01-08-2012, 05:16 PM

It has Ruffin McNeil at No. 24 on the list, still has him listed as being TTU d-coord and he's in full TTU garb. The site has not been updated, but the date at the top is on automatic update so it appears to be current (but isn't). IMO.

GP
01-08-2012, 05:17 PM
I wouldn't be surprised at all if it were a video interview. No need to fly all over the country for these kinds of things.
I agree with what you've said about Kubiak having to deal with the mere presence of Phillips. That's very uncomfortable.
On the other hand, I think you're overreacting in a big way to this news. Why would you fault someone for wanting to get a promotion? This is all very ordinary.

It's MY team! LOL. MINE MINE MINE!!!!! No touchy my team!

Lucky
01-08-2012, 05:18 PM
The number of coordinators who would turn down an interview are 2 as far as I know. LeBeau and Jim Johnson (Philly).

Jim's dead. Which would explain his refusal to accept an interview.

I think it's just a list of college d-coordinators. Though it is dated, as Muschamp and Charles Strong have head coaching gigs.

srrono
01-08-2012, 05:19 PM

college DC list, I would not want a college dc just reaching at straws maybe a former DEN ball boy will be availible to sign as new HOU DC.

El Tejano
01-08-2012, 05:20 PM
I'm thinking Wade is entertaining it so they can leave him and his team alone going forward. As a coach you are only as good as your last game sometimes and you can't burn bridges. I'm sure he's thinking that if he wins the Super Bowl there will be vacancies for him to fill.

I think he's a man of his word and will do the right thing.

CloakNNNdagger
01-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Yes, generally the coordinator finishes the season with his current team before moving to his new heading coaching job.

Overall, there has been little evidence that NFL teams/players have been conistently distracted by coordinators interviewing/leaving.

The problem with this statement is that we really don't have evidence that it is not distracting. Players/remaining coaches/owners are basically always going to put on a happy face while saying "this changes nothing." It wouldn't sound or look good for them to handle it any other way. But, it would be interesting to have some analytical comparison stats after such announcements are made, something that I doubt exists.

GP
01-08-2012, 05:24 PM
This is a big deal because it IS a big deal, btw.

One year of success and a lot of people are acting like we're rich in history like Pittsburgh or Baltimore or New England who just re-load every year on defense and never miss a beat.

We're not there yet. We need continuity to get to that point. Wade leaving after one year would create, IMO, a vacuum of uncertainty moving forward into 2012's draft and our whole year for that matter.

It's a big deal. Sorry if that's seen s being over-reacting, but it's not. This thread is at Page 10 it's first day out of the womb. We got all week to go, and people have raised concerns and know that this is a fluid situation that has ramifications attached to it.

Kaiser Toro
01-08-2012, 05:24 PM
college DC list

It looks to not only be dated, but a moron put it together when it was fresh.

DocBar
01-08-2012, 05:25 PM
I like this movie quote better (Smokey and The Bandit):

"She insulted my town. My author-ity. She insulted my son. Shut up! She insulted my author-ity. And that's nuthin' but pure and simple, good old-fashioned COMMUNISM! Happens EVERY time those dancers start poon-tang'ing around with those show folk fags. (shakes his head)...I can see her now. Runnin' back up the aisle, no...she was DANCIN' back up that aisle. Them knockers bouncing all over the joint. Let go of that wheel! (slaps Junior's hand away from the wheel). Her ass was wiggling' too!"

LOL.

This accurately describes my mood right now. I feel Buford T. Justice's pain right now. Some floozie (Bucs front office) trying to ruin our day.

lol

GP
01-08-2012, 05:27 PM
It looks to not only be dated, but a moron put it together when it was fresh.

I especially love how the table's borders are visible.

Zoosk must be getting TONS of clicks on their ads there.

Dutchrudder
01-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Gene Chizik, not on the hot seat at Auburn. But his strength is serving as d-coord where he's had tremendous success at both Auburn and at University of Texas. Here's more on the guy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Chizik):

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/462992/51728551_071d42b545.jpg

I would love to get Chizik if Wade leaves, but he would be taking a pay cut to do so. He's making 3.5 million as Auburns HC.

ArlingtonTexan
01-08-2012, 05:35 PM
The problem with this statement is that we really don't have evidence that it is not distracting. Players/remaining coaches/owners are basically always going to put on a happy face while saying "this changes nothing." It wouldn't sound or look good for them to handle it any other way. But, it would be interesting to have some analytical comparison stats after such announcements are made, something that I doubt exists.

My guess is that there would be a sample size problem. What would make i more difficult is that if a lesser team loses to a favorite isn't that what's supposed to happen.

Overall, probablly a team by team thing, influneced greatly by rhe overall organization, the strength of the head coach. the leadership of players, and a mirad of game factors which happen independent of what's going on with an assistant.

GP
01-08-2012, 05:40 PM
I would love to get Chizik if Wade leaves, but he would be taking a pay cut to do so. He's making 3.5 million as Auburns HC.

Yeah but the money doesn't add up, I saw that too. I think he made bonuses for accomplishments at Auburn that increased the number.

I saw a figure on his wikipedia page that said his base salary was 1.9 mill per year. Haven't cross-checked all the numbers, though.

I would sell him on how THIS is his chance to get into the NFL and probably make a name for himself so he can get a HC job more easily.

texansdrummer
01-08-2012, 05:43 PM
It's inevitable that a successful team will lose some coaches and staff to other programs. If Wade leaves, that creates an opportunity for one of his guys to take over as DC.....a promotion.

It's a new "problem" for us....previously, nobody probably wanted any of our coaches.

Kaiser Toro
01-08-2012, 05:48 PM
It's a new "problem" for us....previously, nobody probably wanted any of our coaches.

It would be the same problem from this fan' s perspective, Kubiak as HC with no competency in hiring a DC.

In the end, I would be very surprised if Phillips were not here next year.

Carr Bombed
01-08-2012, 05:48 PM
It's inevitable that a successful team will lose some coaches and staff to other programs. If Wade leaves, that creates an opportunity for one of his guys to take over as DC.....a promotion.

Teams have been going after our offensive coordinators since Kubiak got here... This is just the first time that we had coaching talent on the other side of the ball.

PHAROAH
01-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Wants to be a Head coach and does not wanna leave Houston....lolI agree and maybe he should be because Kubiak has made horrible choices when it came to hiring Defensive coordinators the move to bring in Wade Phillips as DC was done by the owner & consultants. I think that If they made Wade the head man kept the offensive coordinator (Dennison) I would be fine with that but that won't happen since we have won in the playoffs now.

DocBar
01-08-2012, 05:59 PM
The problem with this statement is that we really don't have evidence that it is not distracting. Players/remaining coaches/owners are basically always going to put on a happy face while saying "this changes nothing." It wouldn't sound or look good for them to handle it any other way. But, it would be interesting to have some analytical comparison stats after such announcements are made, something that I doubt exists.Charlie Weiss with NE, named HC of Notre Dame during Super Bowl run and they won it all. NE OC O'Brien named HC of Penn State this year and we'll see how that ends.

jjjezebel
01-08-2012, 06:09 PM
The thing is...

Houston loves the Phillips family. We really want him here.. so obviously there are going to be some hurt feelings if he ups and leaves after just one year.. especially since he has had such a huge impact on our team. His leaving would be perceived as a complete lack of concern for the fortunes of Houston football.

Then there is the fact that we are in the middle of our first playoff run in franchise history. Emotions are high.. everyone is both elated and worried about the outcome.. and this interview is poorly timed. What if this is a distraction for him? Does it even matter if it is a distraction for him? Even if it has zero effect on his ability to prepare our defense for the Ravens.. if we go out there and our defense struggles even a little bit, people will be blaming phillips for not putting 100% into the defense this week.

On top of that is the worry that this could have an adverse effect on the spirit of our defense. Will our players lose their faith in Phillips since it seems he is now so eager to leave them? Will they begin distancing themselves from him since he will no longer be seen as "one of the guys"? How much his interviewing have an impact on our team's morale? Like the above example though...even if it has no impact at all... people will still perceive it as having had an impact if our team doesnt play well.

If Phillips does accept the position and we dont do well against the Ravens.. Phillips will have pretty much burned all bridges to houston. He will stop being the greatest DC we have ever had and the son of our most beloved head coach.. and he will become the guy that didnt give a **** about the city, and abandoned us when we needed him most.

Its just a bad idea. If they wanted to interview him..Phillips should have told them he will talk to them after the playoffs or not at all. He has created a situation where he will have a hard time avoiding at least part of the city's ire, if not the entire city's.

Add me into the worry-warts camp, and this was pretty much my exact reaction when I heard the news. We JUST.DON'T.NEED this drama right now. I am pretty much livid about this.

cuppacoffee
01-08-2012, 06:12 PM

Too lazy to look it up, but if I recall correctly his second year record on teams as DC isn't quite as good.

:coffee:

Wolf
01-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Isn't the jets shottenheimer also going to interview also?

amazing80
01-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Too lazy to look it up, but if I recall correctly his second year record on teams as DC isn't quite as good.

:coffee:

Correct, this is why he hasn't been with a team for a real long time. Plus his record as HC in the playoffs is terrible, 1-5.

DocBar
01-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Here's a link (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/PhilWa0.htm) to Wade's coaching history.

GP
01-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Grid's post is the perfect representation of what I feel on this topic.

I mean, I wish I could have just copied that post and claimed it as my own. Every part of it is what I feel but couldn't put into proper words.

He'll burn all bridges to Houston if he leaves this year. Period. 16 or 17 or something years since we had a playoff game, we get one AND win it...and the big news in Texans Nation is that Wade is considered for a job and is being interviewed this week sometime. In Houston.

amazing80
01-08-2012, 06:40 PM
So actually he was 1-5 in playoffs even as DC prior to yesterday.....interesting :kitten:

Playoffs
01-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Isn't the jets shottenheimer also going to interview also?
Kind of strange ... rumors said he was being considered, but I think the Jets might fire him.

Dutchrudder
01-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Kind of strange ... rumors said he was being considered, but I think the Jets might fire him.

Last I heard Schottenheimer was being considered for Jacksonville. The Jets should let it play out because they gave him an extension last year. If he takes a job elsewhere they don't owe him a penny.

MannyFresh
01-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Last I heard Schottenheimer was being considered for Jacksonville. The Jets should let it play out because they gave him an extension last year. If he takes a job elsewhere they don't owe him a penny.

I thought I heard Gruden's name for Jacksonville yesterday, but I may be mistaken, but I did hear of a team interested in Gruden too.

burro
01-08-2012, 06:57 PM
:toropalm: really

Can you really make the case that Kubiak is somehow the better HC? Prior to this season he was 0-5 for making the playoffs and went 0-2 this season while Phillips was out. I'm sure that's just coincidence...

Think of this, if Wade does leave...do you really want Kubiak picking his own guy for DC again? EFF NO.

RTP2110
01-08-2012, 07:00 PM

You could even make a case for throwing Jay Gruden with Cincinnati yesterday in there too.

Lucky
01-08-2012, 07:05 PM
If Wade leaves, that creates an opportunity for one of his guys to take over as DC.....a promotion.
Unless they follow Wade. And I'm not sure there is another coach on staff worthy of being the d-coordinator/head coach of the defense. McNair would likely need to look outside the organization for a Wade Phillips type (proven d- coordinator with a head coaching background). Mike Nolan, Steve Spagnuolo, and (yes) Jack Del Rio would fit the profile.

JDR as Texans d-coordinator. That would be hilarious.

Doppelganger
01-08-2012, 07:10 PM
John McClain
@McClain_on_NFL

Dang. Looks like he is gone. That sucks. Looks like we go back to 7-8 wins next year without wade.

Sigh.

GP
01-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Unless they follow Wade. And I'm not sure there is another coach on staff worthy of being the d-coordinator/head coach of the defense. McNair would likely need to look outside the organization for a Wade Phillips type (proven d- coordinator with a head coaching background). Mike Nolan, Steve Spagnuolo, and (yes) Jack Del Rio would fit the profile.

JDR as Texans d-coordinator. That would be hilarious.

Nolan, Spags, and JDR.

I'm skeptical of Nolan. Spags is a thinker as a d-coord, you can see the wheels turning when he's on the sideline...very active on the sideline and very quick to address players and coach them up during games. When he was d-coord for the Giants, he was on top of his game.

JDR? I dunno. He is mean, tricky, and can be (at times) a bit underhanded. I don't think he would be a McNair type of hire, personally. It's funny because I couldn't stand him when he was coaching in Jax...but the guy isn't a bad coach. He takes risks, he has history of being a good d-coord IIRC. But he has this almost Rex Ryan feel to him, in a more low-key manner, though.

On your list, I'd go with Spags. I'd call him and ask him if he's interested should anything happen to Wade. Does Spags have 3-4 experience?

Wolf
01-08-2012, 07:19 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825be942/article/buccaneers-interview-former-packers-coach-sherman

Jerry gray was interviewed and mike malarkey was rumored(Atlanta offensive coordinator)

kiwitexansfan
01-08-2012, 07:22 PM
He has earnt a shot with what he has done with our team this year.

Just hope we can find someone to carry on the good work, and we don't just promote Herring to be DC.

Doppelganger
01-08-2012, 07:24 PM
He has earnt a shot with what he has done with our team this year.

Just hope we can find someone to carry on the good work, and we don't just promote Herring to be DC.

You know the texans wiLl likely just promote herring when wade leaves. That's the kubiak way.

GP
01-08-2012, 07:30 PM
You know the texans wiLl likely just promote herring when wade leaves. That's the kubiak way.

If that happens, expect to have a bad defense. Wade has seen so much in all his years, he knows what coaches and offenses are going to do before they do it.

This is why I like the idea of a guy like Steve Spagnola (sp?) who was just let go as HC by the Rams. He was the Giants d-coord before being HC for the Rams, and he knew his stuff as a d-coord in NY. Once a guy gets back to doing what he was gifted at, he seems to excel at it. Example: Dom Capers and Wade Phillips.

And Spags will have lots of years somewhere because no team will want to pick him up until he's had a lot of years of success somewhere else first.

Lucky
01-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Does Spags have 3-4 experience?
No, only Nolan has 3-4 experience. And a Kubiak linkage (was a Bronco LB coach when Gary was Elway's backup). Nolan also worked under Wade for 4 seasons in Denver (1989-1992).

Buffi2
01-08-2012, 07:32 PM

For sure Kubiak needs to change his ways. Herring "proved" himself when he was in charge of the two games Wade missed. The proof wasn't a good thing and surely even Kubiak can figure that out. Maybe not but I bet McNair has something to say about it. At least I hope he does.

GP
01-08-2012, 07:33 PM
I've been rolling this whole thing around in my head today. Taking in all the comments. Looking at the other candidates listed.

I don't think Wade Phillips has the chops to be a HC, and I think he won't get a chance to make a decision to become one again. He'll lose out because of his wishy-washy attitude when pressed on tough questions, his record in Dallas, and the sheer weight of the other candidates involved.

This might be the Bucs just making sure they turn over all the rocks that are out there, ranking their guys and then making a choice and an offer to ONE guy. Then going down the list if Guy 1 declines or can't agree on the contract.

This is my best attempt at being positive about this situation.

GP
01-08-2012, 07:35 PM
No, only Nolan has 3-4 experience. And a Kubiak linkage (was a Bronco LB coach when Gary was Elway's backup).

Yay.

Do you have his number? I need to get ahold of him and start seeing if he is interested if Wade bolts for Tampa Bay.

amazing80
01-08-2012, 07:37 PM
I've been rolling this whole thing around in my head today. Taking in all the comments. Looking at the other candidates listed.

I don't think Wade Phillips has the chops to be a HC, and I think he won't get a chance to make a decision to become one again. He'll lose out because of his wishy-washy attitude when pressed on tough questions, his record in Dallas, and the sheer weight of the other candidates involved.

This might be the Bucs just making sure they turn over all the rocks that are out there, ranking their guys and then making a choice and an offer to ONE guy. Then going down the list if Guy 1 declines or can't agree on the contract.

LOL, this is what I said on page 5 bud. And you argued with me :pirate:

Doppelganger
01-08-2012, 07:41 PM

Outside of one bad year(last year) wade has been a pretty solid to good. I fully expect tb to offer the job to wade and for wade to take it. I think he is as good as gone.

Fox
01-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Will be interesting to see if Wade leaves what happens with our D scheme. Wade's scheme is not a classic 4-3 or 3-4. I would hope we'd stay with a 3-4 or similar to what we have now, but you gotta think if they go outside of the current staff then it will partly just depend on who's available. Don't wanna make a 4-3 guy coach a 3-4 scheme and vice versa. Our personnel (surprisingly, if you had asked me at the start of the season) fits this scheme so well...

Doppelganger
01-08-2012, 07:50 PM
For sure Kubiak needs to change his ways. Herring "proved" himself when he was in charge of the two games Wade missed. The proof wasn't a good thing and surely even Kubiak can figure that out. Maybe not but I bet McNair has something to say about it. At least I hope he does.

I bet McNair signs off on herring if wade gives his seal on the way out the door.

Kthx
01-08-2012, 07:54 PM
All I really can say is **** Wade Phillips if he leaves, he won't ever have a city who has his back like Houston has all year.

SheTexan
01-08-2012, 07:54 PM
I know this is what happens in the NFL, BUT, to do this right before one of our biggest games in this playoff run, and to do it on FRIDAY, just reeks of disrespect for our franchise! He has been with us ONE damn year, turned our D around, and now he wants to be a big **** once again! Maybe he just has a BIG head, or ego!!

Truthfully, I don't care if he goes or not! I want him to stay due to our young D needing to grow and mature, but, it is what it is in the NFL!! I'm just pissed off that he is doing this NOW, and not after we play the Ravens. I'm even more PISSED that Kubiak gave permission for him to interview in the first place! He could have held off a week. If the Bucs wanted him bad enough they would have waited for that to happen.

Screw them all!! I hate the politics of this game!!

Lucky
01-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Outside of one bad year(last year) wade has been a pretty solid to good. I fully expect tb to offer the job to wade and for wade to take it. I think he is as good as gone.
I still think there's another candidate yet to be named. This is a young team that needs grooming, not a vet team ready to win. The Bucs need someone who can be there for the long haul.

Say Watt
01-08-2012, 08:01 PM
I know this is what happens in the NFL, BUT, to do this right before one of our biggest games in this playoff run, and to do it on FRIDAY, just reeks of disrespect for our franchise! He has been with us ONE damn year, turned our D around, and now he wants to be a big **** once again! Maybe he just has a BIG head, or ego!!

Truthfully, I don't care if he goes or not! I want him to stay due to our young D needing to grow and mature, but, it is what it is in the NFL!! I'm just pissed off that he is doing this NOW, and not after we play the Ravens. I'm even more PISSED that Kubiak gave permission for him to interview in the first place! He could have held off a week. If the Bucs wanted him bad enough they would have waited for that to happen.

Screw them all!! I hate the politics of this game!!

Well said. I am so freaking mad right now. Wade can suck it. I don't know that I even want that POS back next year.

TEXANRED
01-08-2012, 08:08 PM
I think y'all are over reacting to this. If someone came to you at your job and gave you the promotion and position you have always dreamed about and worked damn hard for 40 years to earn, you would drop everything too.

Doppelganger
01-08-2012, 08:09 PM
I still think there's another candidate yet to be named. This is a young team that needs grooming, not a vet team ready to win. The Bucs need someone who can be there for the long haul.

Wade is a good hc. Why wouldn't you hire him over some unproven commodity? I think it's a no brained to hire wade.

Kthx
01-08-2012, 08:12 PM
I think y'all are over reacting to this. If someone came to you at your job and gave you the promotion and position you have always dreamed about and worked damn hard for 40 years to earn, you would drop everything too.

There comes a point in everyones life where you don't though. If I got offered a job out of town to make a little bit more money and I already had plenty I wouldn't put my family through the move to be honest. I just figured Houston was sorta that point in Wade's life I guess, it seemed fitting for him to coach here until he retired. But really the timing of all of this is why everyone is mad.