PDA

View Full Version : The Wade Phillips Thread - Status: Not a Candidate for Tampa

Pages : 1 [2] 3

TEXANRED
01-08-2012, 07:16 PM
There comes a point in everyones life where you don't though. If I got offered a job out of town to make a little bit more money and I already had plenty I wouldn't put my family through the move to be honest. I just figured Houston was sorta that point in Wade's life I guess, it seemed fitting for him to coach here until he retired. But really the timing of all of this is why everyone is mad.

It's not about the money, it's about being a Head Coach.

He is a damn good coach and a Head Coach with a winning record.

We could always fire Kubiak and give the Job to Wade.

Kthx
01-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Just bad timing honestly.

TEXANRED
01-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Just bad timing honestly.

It is. No worse then the Pat's losing their OC to Penn State.

The NFL should review their rules on when you should be able to interview coach's.

Don't get me wrong, I hate it. I would love Wade to stay here but I figured this was going to be a one year gig if he completely turned around our defense.

I just hope we don't promote Dennison to DC after Wade leaves.

SheTexan
01-08-2012, 07:24 PM
I think y'all are over reacting to this. If someone came to you at your job and gave you the promotion and position you have always dreamed about and worked damn hard for 40 years to earn, you would drop everything too.

BS!! He's been a HC before so your comparison is irrelevent! He'll be sticking it to his hometown pure and simple!!

Maybe we need to get rid of them both!! ( Kubes and Wade!) Hometown boys who are screwing us over during the playoffs!! Kubes has been doing this crap since he landed in Houston. Bringing um in, giving um a chance, using the Texans as a training ground, and then BAM, sending them on their way!!

DocBar
01-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Why is everyone getting so freaked out about this? Phillips is going to interview for the job. It will probably take a hour or so out of his day. He has a well-known resume, so it's not like he's some DC looking to get his 1st HC job and it's going to eat up a lot of time.

TEXANRED
01-08-2012, 07:27 PM
BS!! He's been a HC before so your comparison is irrelevent! He'll be sticking it to his hometown pure and simple!!

Maybe we need to get rid of them both!! ( Kubes and Wade!) Hometown boys who are screwing us over during the playoffs!! Kubes has been doing this crap since he landed in Houston. Bringing um in, giving um a chance, using the Texans as a training ground, and then BAM, sending them on their way!!

He wants to be a H/C. He has said he wanted to be a H/C and should be a H/C. This shouldn't be surprising anyone.

Tampa shouldn't be asking during our playoff run though.

jjjezebel
01-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Why is everyone getting so freaked out about this? Phillips is going to interview for the job. It will probably take a hour or so out of his day. He has a well-known resume, so it's not like he's some DC looking to get his 1st HC job and it's going to eat up a lot of time.

I'm not angry so much that he's interviewing. It's the timing. I worry about it being a distraction in the locker room, and causing unnecessary drama. I worry about it affecting the morale of the defense.

I'm irritated because it's making a lot of fans unhappy (including myself) at a time when we should be pumped. He should have waited until the season was over. If TB wants him bad enough they'd wait until the season is over for us, regardless of when.

It's a matter of principle, and his actions are lacking in that department -IMO of course.

Doppelganger
01-08-2012, 07:37 PM

The NFL is a business. He could have easily been fiRed down the line, just as bum was. He wants to be a hc, not a dc, so I can't blame him. There is no loyalty on either side, so why should we expect any from either side. Ok, he is from houston...so what? I guarantee if the texans thought they could get a better dc they'd get rid of wade. Same thing here.

Doppelganger
01-08-2012, 07:39 PM

I am just irritated because for the first time kubes has had a legit dc. I am irritated because I am sure kubes will promote from within and the team will regress to a 7 win (or less) team next year.

Say Watt
01-08-2012, 07:44 PM
I think y'all are over reacting to this. If someone came to you at your job and gave you the promotion and position you have always dreamed about and worked damn hard for 40 years to earn, you would drop everything too.

If Tampa Bay is his dream position, then I feel pretty bad for him. He has also already achieved that job he "worked damn hard for 40 years to earn" and has been a head coach numerous times. What he hasn't done is win a Super Bowl. It is a long shot but this year is his chance. He just proved that isn't what really matters to him. A Super Bowl is not his ultimate goal he has worked 40 years to achieve. Wade is an arrogant SOB.

SheTexan
01-08-2012, 07:52 PM
The NFL is a business. He could have easily been fiRed down the line, just as bum was. He wants to be a hc, not a dc, so I can't blame him. There is no loyalty on either side, so why should we expect any from either side. Ok, he is from houston...so what? I guarantee if the texans thought they could get a better dc they'd get rid of wade. Same thing here.

That makes no sense! We don't NEED a better DC! Daddy Bob hired Wade to do that job, paid him nicely, (isn't he one of the best paid DC in the NFL?) and expected him to DO THAT JOB!! He's done a fantastic job so far, but, his job IS NOT DONE here!! Doing this NOW will disrupt the locker room, you can bet on it! NO, it shouldn't because those players are PROS, but, they are also human. If it's effected us this way, why not the players?

Like I posted earlier, I know this stuff happens in the NFL, and I really could care less if he leaves. The fact that he's doing this NOW just reeks of disrespect to a franchise who hired him when NOONE else would! JMO!!

aussie_texan
01-08-2012, 07:54 PM
his not going anywhere!!!

burro
01-08-2012, 07:57 PM
I've still yet to hear anyone make an argument against sending Kubiak packing to promote Wade. Anyone...?

EllisUnit
01-08-2012, 08:01 PM
I've still yet to hear anyone make an argument against sending Kubiak packing to promote Wade. Anyone...?

WHY in the hell would we do that, and if you look closely i have seen 2 posts suggest that. Yeah lets fire the coach who took us to the play-offs and who just got our first play off win. And people can say this is all because of wade, but we missed foster for 4 games, AJ for 8, Schaub lost for the season, Leinart lost for the season. And we clinch the South with a 5th round rookie.

ChampionTexan
01-08-2012, 08:04 PM

And I've yet to see more than very few posts suggest it.

Don't matter. Will not happen.

False Start
01-08-2012, 08:05 PM
In the end, I think Wade will stay as Texans DC. The whole timing of it though is kind of jacked up.

DocBar
01-08-2012, 08:18 PM
I am just irritated because for the first time kubes has had a legit dc. I am irritated because I am sure kubes will promote from within and the team will regress to a 7 win (or less) team next year.I understand the irritation. I don't understand all abject hatred being put out by GP, She Texan, et al.

HJam72
01-08-2012, 08:23 PM
We might as well get used to it, because if he stays this kind of stuff is going to happen every playoff season for a while. Having coordinators interviewing for HCing jobs elsewhere is just part of being a real contender. :toropalm:

utahmark
01-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Why do we do this? I really hate searching through an entire thread I care nothing about to find where the relevant part starts. Should'nt Wade interviewing for a new job start a new thread?

Lucky
01-08-2012, 08:24 PM
What he hasn't done is win a Super Bowl. It is a long shot but this year is his chance. He just proved that isn't what really matters to him. A Super Bowl is not his ultimate goal he has worked 40 years to achieve. Wade is an arrogant SOB.
Phillips wouldn't resign prior to the end of the season. He would coach all the way to the Super Bowl, if the team makes it that far.

The fact that he's doing this NOW just reeks of disrespect to a franchise who hired him when NOONE else would!
Phillips is a respected defensive coach who likely could have found another coordinator position, had the Texans not offered the job.

From Jason La Canfora of NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825d019e/article/bucs-could-make-decision-on-sherman-as-coach-this-week?module=HP11_headline_stack):

League sources continue to indicate that Mike Sherman is well-positioned to be named the next head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/tampabaybuccaneers/profile?team=TB), a decision that could be announced this week.

Sherman interviewed for the position last week (http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d825be942), and it went well, according to sources.

The Bucs are intrigued by Sherman's ample NFL and college experience, and he brings a message and demeanor very different from recently fired coach Raheem Morris.

Mike Sherman? Not good enough for the SEC. But good enough for Tampa Bay? That would be a weird hire. #crossfingers

Lucky
01-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Should'nt Wade interviewing for a new job start a new thread?
I'll tell you what: If and when Wade actually interviews for the job, we'll make it a new thread. Until then, its speculation.

steelbtexan
01-08-2012, 08:27 PM
If Wade gets the TB job. (I dont think he will) I could see Wade giving his blessings to Herring getting the DC job, BoB hiring Herring and extending Gary for 3 more yrs and the Texans returning to 9-7, 7-9.

GP
01-08-2012, 08:37 PM
I understand the irritation. I don't understand all abject hatred being put out by GP, She Texan, et al.

It's called HYPERBOLE. With a sprinkle of anxiousness and a dash of Texans Homer.

That whooshing sound is all of it passing over your head.

"Hatred" isn't fitting as a description. Grab a dictionary.

------------

Hyperbole ( /haɪˈpɜrbəliː/ hy-pur-bə-lee;[1] Greek: ὑπερβολή, 'exaggeration') is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.

utahmark
01-08-2012, 08:39 PM
I'll tell you what: If and when Wade actually interviews for the job, we'll make it a new thread. Until then, its speculation.

I know it's the way ya'll do it. Just throwing my vote for it to change. Anytime something is important enough to change the title of the thread seems like it should have it's own thread. It would only add one or two more threads a week(if that) and it would make it a lot easier for the people who only check the board once every day or so.

Doppelganger
01-08-2012, 08:46 PM
That makes no sense! We don't NEED a better DC! Daddy Bob hired Wade to do that job, paid him nicely, (isn't he one of the best paid DC in the NFL?) and expected him to DO THAT JOB!! He's done a fantastic job so far, but, his job IS NOT DONE here!! Doing this NOW will disrupt the locker room, you can bet on it! NO, it shouldn't because those players are PROS, but, they are also human. If it's effected us this way, why not the players?

Like I posted earlier, I know this stuff happens in the NFL, and I really could care less if he leaves. The fact that he's doing this NOW just reeks of disrespect to a franchise who hired him when NOONE else would! JMO!!

I hear you, but disagree. Contracts in the NFL are one year only as they can be ripped up by the team at anytime. Wade was brought in to turnaround the d and he did. I would say he certainly did the job.

And I disGree that nobody would have hired him. It was pretty much known he wanted to coach the d here and the team wanted him. Had we not wanted him, he would have gotten Another dc position guaranteed.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Back to kubiocrity!

blitz90
01-08-2012, 09:00 PM
If Wade gets the TB job. (I dont think he will) I could see Wade giving his blessings to Herring getting the DC job, BoB hiring Herring and extending Gary for 3 more yrs and the Texans returning to 9-7, 7-9.

Yup

thunderkyss
01-08-2012, 09:06 PM

If Wade goes for another head coaching job, why would he stay in Houston & not follow Wade? He's got a history with Wade, Wade has always taken care of ihm. Wade "wanting" to be a head coach may be just as much for Herring as it is about Wade.

Regardless, I think it would be interesting to speculate who would replace Wade, should he leave.

bckey
01-08-2012, 09:07 PM
"We'll talk and see how much interest (the Bucs) have in me," Phillips told the Chronicle. "I'm gratified somebody noticed. I don't want to leave Houston, but I want to be a head coach."

Sure sounds like he will leave if he gets the chance. Pretty crappy if you ask me. I would have thought he would be really happy in Houston being one of the highest paid dc and coaching close to home. If he leaves after 1 year then he can kiss my a$$. I'm with SheTexan on this one. And I'm a big fan of Bum and thought the Wade hiring was a good one. 1 year would be an insult. If Wade was hired you can bet alot of the assistant coaches here would follow. It would be devistating to this team and an insult to the defensive players. Terrible timing. Who knows what players would follow him also. I hope the Bucs hire Sherman and Wade ends up staying. This no good in a bunch of different ways. Sheesh!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825d019e/article/bucs-could-make-decision-on-sherman-as-coach-this-week?module=HP11_headline_stack

TexanSam
01-08-2012, 09:07 PM
I know this is what happens in the NFL, BUT, to do this right before one of our biggest games in this playoff run, and to do it on FRIDAY, just reeks of disrespect for our franchise! He has been with us ONE damn year, turned our D around, and now he wants to be a big **** once again! Maybe he just has a BIG head, or ego!!

Truthfully, I don't care if he goes or not! I want him to stay due to our young D needing to grow and mature, but, it is what it is in the NFL!! I'm just pissed off that he is doing this NOW, and not after we play the Ravens. I'm even more PISSED that Kubiak gave permission for him to interview in the first place! He could have held off a week. If the Bucs wanted him bad enough they would have waited for that to happen.

Screw them all!! I hate the politics of this game!!

If we win the Baltimore game, would it have made you happier if he interviewed next week?

Isn't Friday the day the team doesn't practice? That's probably why they're doing it that day. They set up their game plan and practice from Monday-Thursday, IIRC. Friday is just a walkthrough I think. If there's any day to interview, Friday would be it.

Lurvinator11
01-08-2012, 09:10 PM
I would not be surprised if Tampa went with Sherman. I feel like they want to develop Freeman into a good QB and build around him. They feel Sherman would be great for that. Lets hope they hire Sherman.

Also hiring Wade wouldnt make sense. He wouldn't be there too long cause he is already 64. He would be the oldest HC. If they thought they were a defense away from a championship then take wade, but i think it all falls on freeman and he needs more development.

Take sherman!

ChampionTexan
01-08-2012, 09:13 PM
I hear you, but disagree. Contracts in the NFL are one year only as they can be ripped up by the team at anytime. Wade was brought in to turnaround the d and he did. I would say he certainly did the job.

And I disGree that nobody would have hired him. It was pretty much known he wanted to coach the d here and the team wanted him. Had we not wanted him, he would have gotten Another dc position guaranteed.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Back to kubiocrity!

Coaching contracts aren't for one year, and NFL coaches (even assistants) can't be let go without either being paid the remainder of their contract, or negotiating a buy out. Big difference from the players in this regard.

I completely agree that Wade would have pretty easily found another DC job, and that's why I don't have a problem with what appears to be going on. The Texans were desparate for defensive improvement, and they made him the highest paid DC in the league. Sounds like both sides got something out of the bargain, and if Wade ends up moving on (which for the record, I still do not think he will), then I'm not sure how either side gets cheated or mistreated, or however you want to characterize it.

GP
01-08-2012, 09:13 PM
"We'll talk and see how much interest (the Bucs) have in me," Phillips told the Chronicle. "I'm gratified somebody noticed. I don't want to leave Houston, but I want to be a head coach."

Sure sounds like he will leave if he gets the chance. Pretty crappy if you ask me. I would have thought he would be really happy in Houston being one of the highest paid dc and coaching close to home. If he leaves after 1 year then he can kiss my a$$. I'm with SheTexan on this one. And I'm a big fan of Bum and thought the Wade hiring was a good one. 1 year would be an insult. If Wade was hired you can bet alot of the assistant coaches here would follow. It would be devistating to this team and an insult to the defensive players. Terrible timing. Who knows what players would follow him also. I hope the Bucs hire Sherman and Wade ends up staying. This no good in a bunch of different ways. Sheesh!

Careful, you're spewing hatred there. [/sarcasm]

Dutchrudder
01-08-2012, 09:14 PM
The Bucs are interviewing Brad Childress on Monday according to ESPN, so I don't think it's anywhere near a certainty that Wade gets this job, much less any other. Fisher is likely to sign with St Louis too, so that will narrow down the options for Wade.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers will interview former Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress for their head coaching position on Monday, sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

Tampa Bay will also interview Houston Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and a source told ESPN.com senior NFL writer John Clayton that the meeting will happen Friday.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7438946/tampa-bay-buccaneers-interview-brad-childress-monday-sources-says

DocBar
01-08-2012, 09:15 PM
It's called HYPERBOLE. With a sprinkle of anxiousness and a dash of Texans Homer.

That whooshing sound is all of it passing over your head.

"Hatred" isn't fitting as a description. Grab a dictionary.

------------

Hyperbole ( /haɪˈpɜrbəliː/ hy-pur-bə-lee;[1] Greek: ὑπερβολή, 'exaggeration') is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally. Whatever, dude. Just reading what you posted. I was wondering if you were hitting the bottle too hard.
Maybe we should have a hyperbole smiley for slow-witted posters like me.

GP
01-08-2012, 09:16 PM
If Wade really wants TB's job...all he has to do is talk to him and find out where the good strip clubs are, where the best price on beer is at, and how to cheer the Texans on game days. I'm sure Texan Bill (TB) would oblige.

Texan Bill can take Wade's headset and call the plays for the defense. Seems like a good idea. Right?

rush2112mn
01-08-2012, 09:16 PM
The Glazer Brothers own the Bucs.....guess who else they own.....MANCHESTER UNITED....go look and see where all their money is going to......a global sports team such as Manchester....vs Tampa Bay......
ManU....gets the money.....Tampa does not.....

Go ask the Bucs fans if they like the Glazer brothers as owners.....they will tell you hell no.....I feel sorry for that teams fans because the ownership of that team will not spend the money needed vs spending it all on ManU.....

In other words....you want to go head coach there Wade.....be prepared for not getting any money for crap.....cause you wont......

Glazer Brothers are a joke as owners......If you doubt what I say is true....go look at how much they spend on both teams......it is not even funny......

DocBar
01-08-2012, 09:18 PM
The Glazer Brothers own the Bucs.....guess who else they own.....MANCHESTER UNITED....go look and see where all their money is going to......a global sports team such as Manchester....vs Tampa Bay......

Go ask the Bucs fans if they like the Glazer brothers as owners.....they will tell you hell no.....I feel sorry for that teams fans because the ownership of that team will not spend the money needed vs spending it all on ManU.....

In other words....you want to go head coach there Wade.....be prepared for not getting any money for crap.....cause you wont......

Glazer Brothers are a joke as owners......If you doubt what I say is true....go look at how much they spend on both teams......it is not even funny......Why not provide a link?

ChampionTexan
01-08-2012, 09:19 PM

Glazer Brothers are a joke as owners......If you doubt what I say is true....go look at how much they spend on both teams......it is not even funny......

They were cruddy owners before they ever bought ManU, and you're right, it's only gotten worse since then. Part of the reason Raheem Morris was promoted to HC without ever serving as a coordinator for them was because he would work cheap.

Playoffs
01-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Comes with the territory -- you know, w-i-n-n-i-n-g ... get used to it or take a pill, sheesh. :wadepalm:

GP
Whatever, dude. Just reading what you posted. I was wondering if you were hitting the bottle too hard.

LOL.

Just because you say it, doesn't mean it's true Doc.

People vent on this issue the way they want to. That's all that's happening. No lecturing from you is needed on whether people's feelings or posts are valid or not.

Some are indifferent to the situation, others think they know he won't leave for TB, and some are rattled that Wade has mentioned being a HC on many occasions before this whole TB stuff happened. Because people don't like it, and because they might let their irritation show on the MB here...doesn't mean it's hatred. Hyperbole? Yes. Hatred? LOL, nope.

Dutchrudder
Why not provide a link?

The Buc's are to the NFL as the Pittsburgh Pirates are to the MLB. Cheap cheap cheap and will be greatly affected by the cap floor in 2013.

GP
01-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Why not provide a link?

Without finding a link, I know that we've discussed on here how the Bucs are EXTREMELY well below the salary cap. As in, "They can go and by a lot of groceries" if they wanted to. As in, leaps and bounds and far and away the leader of the pack in salary cap space.

This was discussed in the lockout days during the summer.

GP
01-08-2012, 09:23 PM
The Buc's are to the NFL as the Pittsburgh Pirates are to the MLB. Cheap cheap cheap and will be greatly affected by the cap floor in 2013.

Yep. They're going to have to let go of some money under the new CBA. Which is one of the reasons for introducing the new rule...it makes teams ATTEMPT to stay competitive--via doling out cash to players--instead of pocketing and saving so much money, especially when they tank and get paid on the whole team revenue sharing aspect of the NFL.

You can begin to see why the richer teams would be likely to dislike the smaller market teams such as Bills and Bucs, etc. These teams are not fielding competitive teams, not really expanding their product much at all, and STILL get to share revenue with the rich teams. The rich teams, in essence, are keeping the Bills and Bucs and Jags afloat and there's no punishment against a team like the Bucs for not spending their cap space enough. Until now.

CloakNNNdagger
01-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Whether right or wrong, even if he fails to land the HC position.......after his recent comments, many Houston fans will never again see Wade with the same loveable endearment and reverence that is his father.

CloakNNNdagger
01-08-2012, 09:41 PM
BTW, Fat Albert would really enjoy Wade and 3-4 coming to town.:rake:

DocBar
01-08-2012, 09:45 PM
LOL.

Just because you say it, doesn't mean it's true Doc.

People vent on this issue the way they want to. That's all that's happening. No lecturing from you is needed on whether people's feelings or posts are valid or not.

Some are indifferent to the situation, others think they know he won't leave for TB, and some are rattled that Wade has mentioned being a HC on many occasions before this whole TB stuff happened. Because people don't like it, and because they might let their irritation show on the MB here...doesn't mean it's hatred. Hyperbole? Yes. Hatred? LOL, nope.I'm a repeat offender in venting. I'm emtionally wiped out after yesterday, so you caught me in a moment of no sense of humor or hyperbole. LOL

The Buc's are to the NFL as the Pittsburgh Pirates are to the MLB. Cheap cheap cheap and will be greatly affected by the cap floor in 2013.I thought that was the Jags.

GP
01-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Whether right or wrong, even if he fails to land the HC position.......after his recent comments, many Houston fans will never again see Wade with the same loveable endearment and reverence that is his father.

Yep. For the more savvy fan, the bloom is off the rose.

He had a shot at maybe becoming a bit of an icon here. And he might still accomplish it if he changes some stripes. But doggone if it doesn't look like he's hell-bent for leather to get another HC gig ANYWHERE he can get one.

I mean, he's not "looking" to be one, but he will listen...and he's happy where he's at but he still wants to be a HC again. LOL.

Wade Phillips: Defensive Coordinator extraordinaire. Public Relations genius? Not so much.

fiasco west
01-08-2012, 09:48 PM

He had a shot at maybe becoming a bit of an icon here. And he might still accomplish it if he changes some stripes. But doggone if it doesn't look like he's hell-bent for leather to get another HC gig ANYWHERE he can get one.

I mean, he's not "looking" to be one, but he will listen...and he's happy where he's at but he still wants to be a HC again. LOL.

Wade Phillips: Defensive Coordinator extraordinaire. Public Relations genius? Not so much.

F That.

Win us two more games and all is forgiven. Win us 3 more games and make a statue of the man.

GP
01-08-2012, 09:50 PM
I thought that was the Jags.

They're in the club, no doubt.

Guys like Jerry Jones would LOVE to see teams like Bills, Bucs, Jags, etc. fold up and go away. To him, he sees them as holding back everyone because they are in essence leeching off his Cowboys. Think "welfare system" if you will.

If a team ain't contributing to the pile of chips pom the table, they're taking away from it.

GP
01-08-2012, 09:52 PM
F That.

Win us two more games and all is forgiven. Win us 3 more games and make a statue of the man.

Odds are more favorable of him sticking around, getting more help via the draft, free agency maybe as well, and hopefully shutting his pie hole about wanting to be a HC again.

If that happens, he and Kubiak could string together several awesome seasons and have great chances on an annual basis.

Just my two cents, not saying it's HOW it will play out. Just saying this would be most advantageous to us if he sort of figured out he was no longer a true HC candidate anymore. As it stands, dude is gonna' leave if somebody extends the offer his way.

DocBar
01-08-2012, 09:57 PM

Wade Phillips: Defensive Coordinator extraordinaire. Public Relations genius? Not so much.I disagree with this. Listening to an offer and interviewing for a position is a far cry from taking just any old HC gig. Bum's on record as saying Wade doesn't want to coach just any team. He'd like to coach a contender, not rebuild a team. Of course, Bum is also on record as saying Wade doesn't want to be a HC anymore so who knows?
All in all, I think Wade stays at least one more year. Are there any real competetive teams needing a new HC right now? TB made a splash on a last place schedule then came down to earth playing a 3rd place schedule. The only quality team they beat last year were the Saints in week 17. Hardly contender material.

fiasco west
01-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Odds are more favorable of him sticking around, getting more help via the draft, free agency maybe as well, and hopefully shutting his pie hole about wanting to be a HC again.

If that happens, he and Kubiak could string together several awesome seasons and have great chances on an annual basis.

Just my two cents, not saying it's HOW it will play out. Just saying this would be most advantageous to us if he sort of figured out he was no longer a true HC candidate anymore. As it stands, dude is gonna' leave if somebody extends the offer his way.

Agreed.

I'd wish he'd just settle down here. Being a part of a championship team is something I'm sure is worth it if they can get it done.

Going to Tampa a team that's not looking good though takes him further away from that. I thought he was at a stage in his career that he's willing to play sidekick to help win a ring. Sort of like the old NBA vet that gets the label as ring chaser, hopping from team to team hoping to win one. I thought this was where Wade was at, but clearly with his comments he wants to be a HC again.

I'm just hoping that the talent on our defense will bring us a long line of accomplished DCs begging to take over.

Luv_ya_blue
01-08-2012, 10:01 PM
CHANNEL 2 NEWS
talking about this story in a few.

Luv_ya_blue
01-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Channel 2 just said that the Texans gave permission to talk to him.

Wade said it's both "the best job I've had" (with the Texans) and "I'd like to talk about it" of being a head coach again.

fiasco west
01-08-2012, 10:06 PM
It's right to give him permission. He's a grown man and denying him that would just frustrate him.

I think we as fans just need to show the man love. Houston is his home and if you see Wade out and about remind him of that.

GlassHalfFull
01-08-2012, 10:08 PM
I hate this and the timing. But I can see it from Wade's perspective.

Think about how his image was tarnished by his tenure with the Cowgirls. People are saying he is a "bad head coach." He is human. Of course he wants to erase that image. And being a great DC is wonderful and all that, but the head coach is where it is all at.

Sad for us, and I want him to stay. But I see why he wants a chance to redeem his image.

drewmar74
01-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Is it possible that the man doesn't like working with Kubiak?

DocBar
01-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Agreed.

I'd wish he'd just settle down here. Being a part of a championship team is something I'm sure is worth it if they can get it done.

Going to Tampa a team that's not looking good though takes him further away from that. I thought he was at a stage in his career that he's willing to play sidekick to help win a ring. Sort of like the old NBA vet that gets the label as ring chaser, hopping from team to team hoping to win one. I thought this was where Wade was at, but clearly with his comments he wants to be a HC again.

I'm just hoping that the talent on our defense will bring us a long line of accomplished DCs begging to take over.Ironically enough, Kubiak won three of them by doing the exact opposite. 1 season in the pro's with SF, 11 with Denver and 6 with Houston. 3 teams in 18 years.
This Wade's 9th team in 35 years of coaching in the NFL.

TEXANRED
01-08-2012, 10:33 PM

I think if this happens these people are silly and petty and only think about themselves. Wade came in and changed this team, the perception, the culture, and turned us into winners.

If people turn their backs on him b/c he still has the passion and burns to be a head coach then boo to those people. They were never a fan of Wade's, only a fan of what have you done for me lately.

I don't remember Wade ever saying he was home here and never wanted to move on as long as he is able to coach. Day one he talked about his head coaching record and how he should still be in talks about getting a head coaching job.

You don't want to be a first mate if you have been the captain of a ship.

CloakNNNdagger
01-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Without finding a link, I know that we've discussed on here how the Bucs are EXTREMELY well below the salary cap. As in, "They can go and by a lot of groceries" if they wanted to. As in, leaps and bounds and far and away the leader of the pack in salary cap space.

This was discussed in the lockout days during the summer.

GP, this should help.

Salary Cap Space: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Will Have Around $55 Million In 2012 (http://www.bucsnation.com/2011/12/29/2668244/salary-cap-space-tampa-bay-buccaneers-will-have-around-55-million-in)

by Sander on Dec 29, 2011 12:19 PM EST in Free Agency

The Bucs have been near the top of the league in terms of salary cap space this season. Back in September, ESPN reported that the Bucs had $27.2 million in cap space, a number that likely hasn't significantly changed. That ranked them second in the league. The Bucs had all of this cap space, but didn't use it on the deepest free agency class in NFL history. They didn't use it to extend their own players, either, although there haven't exactly been many candidates for extension this season.

Keeping all of that in mind, the Bucs will have even more cap space next season. Per Andrew Brandt of the National Football Post, they will work with a salary cap close to $150 million, as the $25 million of 2011 cap space rolls over to next season. With a reported salary cap number of $92.873 million in 2012 (per ESPN), the Bucs will have nearly $55 million in salary cap space.

The question now becomes: will the Bucs spend this money, and who will they spend it on?

The first question is hard to answer: they haven't spent a lot of money in the past couple of seasons, and the salary floor won't force them to spend money either*. On the other hand, the Bucs clearly need talent at a few positions (most notably cornerback, safety and linebacker), and Mark Dominik's plan does include spending money on free agents at some point. Most notably, it includes spending money on positions where drafted players have failed and signing players who will start.

The Bucs have seen their draft picks fail at several positions this season, though the question is to what extent that's going to be a long term problem. Brian Price and Gerald McCoy haven't produced the way the team wants them to produce, but both players' lack of production can be chalked up to injury - so is that a long-term concern? Quincy Black was a solid linebacker before he was re-signed to a new contract, but his play has collapsed this season. Is that a long-term problem? Aqib Talib has been a pretty good player, but his off-field problems bring his long-term prospects with the Buccaneers into question. Tanard Jackson has shown a complete inability to tackle this season - but can he do turn himself into his 2007 version again?

The Bucs will have to find ways to answer these questions this offseason to determine where and if they're going to spend money in free agency. There's also always the possibility that Mark Dominik is replaced after this season, though that seems a little unlikely. If that happens, the Bucs could overhaul their free agency strategy too.

Ultimately, I think the Bucs will spend more in free agency this offseason than they have in years past. Then again, I thought the same thing last season - so who knows.

*:A salary floor accounted for in cash spent was instated in the last CBA, but that won't come into effect until 2013, and even then its effect will be limited. The Bucs will have to spend 90% of the salary cap in cash per year, but they'll have to do that over the four-year period 2013-2016, and then the four-year period 2017-2020. That means they can be below the salary floor for several years, as long as they compensate for that later on. Even if they don't do that, they'll simply be penalized the amount of money they didn't spend - so they won't be forced to spend that money on players, either.

TexansFanatic
01-08-2012, 11:09 PM
Mike Sherman? Not good enough for the SEC. But good enough for Tampa Bay? That would be a weird hire. #crossfingers

Man, you got that right. That's a jaw dropper. Couldn't believe my eyes when I read that.

I guess one man's trash truly is another man's treasure.

Brisco_County
01-08-2012, 11:39 PM
What people aren't considering is that Wade simply wants to achieve at least what his father achieved. Dallas permanently tarnished his legacy, but his dad still gets to be team captain at playoff games.

GP
01-09-2012, 12:20 AM
GP, this should help.

Salary Cap Space: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Will Have Around $55 Million In 2012 (http://www.bucsnation.com/2011/12/29/2668244/salary-cap-space-tampa-bay-buccaneers-will-have-around-55-million-in)

Thanks, CND. Rep your way.

$55 million cap space. Yowzers.

SAMURAITEXAN
01-09-2012, 01:47 AM
I don't know if Wade gets TB job or not. One thing is certain that we do have good coaching staff that other teams are interested in which is a good thing IMO. Last year Dennison, before that Sherman(not pro but) and now Wade. I hope, Wade stays with us however, I do understand if he decided to leave for TB's HC job. To me, Wade deserves another chance to prove himself that he is capable of doing HC and be successful at it.

After all, he helped us get into playoffs and win post season game for us. I know, the timing is bad but I can't blame him for not giving up his desire to become HC again should he gets TB's HC job offer. I myself included, many of us here did not expected this much of a quick turn around(from bottom of D to #2 D). I am sure that he worked really hard to prepare for this season. He mentioned in an interview post Cincy game that he is Houstonian and I think he means well. (Like father like son, no bulls) He loves the city and its fans and gave everything his got to improve our D.

Growing up watching your father become HC for NFL team and worked with him as a member of coaching staff, naturally as son, would be interested in taking same foot steps and become HC like him someday.

As fan of Bum and Wade, I can't blame him of anything bad if he leaves. It will be sad. But, I wish him good luck if he gets an offer.

This is just me how I see Wade's situation and I am sure we all have different opinions.

Grams
01-09-2012, 06:37 AM
Wade came in and changed this team, the perception, the culture, and turned us into winners.

We will end up a 1 year wonder.

He came in and drafted all these 3-4 players. Now we weill need to find a coach that will still use all these 3-4 players. We already know that his successor is not on this staff. Players were already questioning the play calling of Herring while Wade was out.

McNair should not have let him interview while our season is still going on. Wade should have told them he would interview after he was done with this season. He should be more focused on winning in the playoffs than where he will coach next - expecially as he is still under contract.

If he does leave and the Texans hire from within we will be back to 8-8 or worse.

This is like a kick in the nuts.

Sometimes you need to learn to do what you are best at and leave the power search for others.

SheTexan
01-09-2012, 07:05 AM
I understand the irritation. I don't understand all abject hatred being put out by GP, She Texan, et al.

Where do you get "hatred" out of what I posted. Anger, irritation, disappointment, maybe, but, not hatred!

DAMN, I LOVE Wade Phillips! Respect the hell out of what he has done for our team, and understand his desire to be a HC again! I just HATE the timing, and think it's disrespectful, that's all!! BTW: His job is not done until we are out of the playoffs!! JMO!

Oh well! It is what it is, and nothing can change that! If he leaves I will wish him good health, hate the TB BUCS as much as I hate the Cowboys, and keep on believin in my home team!

HJam72
01-09-2012, 07:27 AM
What people aren't considering is that Wade simply wants to achieve at least what his father achieved. Dallas permanently tarnished his legacy, but his dad still gets to be team captain at playoff games.

If he kicks the #$%^ door in this year, he'll have accomplished more. :d:

Scooter
01-09-2012, 07:27 AM
not happy. i realize he'd like to get a ring as a head coach, but he's the hometown hero, the son of bum, in the job he's most qualified for, with all the freedom he could want and as much money as he wants. that's the setting.

the big deal to me is that because of wade's defense we've made the playoffs for the first time and just won our first playoff game. what does it tell your players as they prepare for the biggest game of their careers that you've changed their world, but will leave practice early because taking over a team we destroyed earlier in the season might be more rewarding.

we all get it. tampa cant sit and wait, and wade would like to stamp the exclamation point as the man in charge to go with his wins, but i dont like it as a fan and i'm sure the lockerroom isnt happy. for a team full of young guys that have already come to depend on him to make us winners, that's not what you want to hear a day before traveling to a powerhouse.

Thorn
01-09-2012, 07:29 AM
We will end up a 1 year wonder.

He came in and drafted all these 3-4 players. Now we weill need to find a coach that will still use all these 3-4 players. We already know that his successor is not on this staff. Players were already questioning the play calling of Herring while Wade was out.

McNair should not have let him interview while our season is still going on. Wade should have told them he would interview after he was done with this season. He should be more focused on winning in the playoffs than where he will coach next - expecially as he is still under contract.

If he does leave and the Texans hire from within we will be back to 8-8 or worse.

This is like a kick in the nuts.

Sometimes you need to learn to do what you are best at and leave the power search for others.

Good post, I agree with it. I'll go a bit further though, if Wade leaves town, I'm moving the Phillips family in the same mental room with Bud Adams and they can stay there.

Kubiak has shown he knows NOTHING about running a defense or hiring someone who can. Phillips came in through the owner and Rick Smith, and if Phillips leaves, I agree with Grams, we're back to the same old **** around here.

Kthx
01-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Yeah well the front-runner for next man up would be Reggie Herring right? If so I would agree.

Texecutioner
01-09-2012, 08:17 AM
I think if this happens these people are silly and petty and only think about themselves. Wade came in and changed this team, the perception, the culture, and turned us into winners.

If people turn their backs on him b/c he still has the passion and burns to be a head coach then boo to those people. They were never a fan of Wade's, only a fan of what have you done for me lately.

I don't remember Wade ever saying he was home here and never wanted to move on as long as he is able to coach. Day one he talked about his head coaching record and how he should still be in talks about getting a head coaching job.

You don't want to be a first mate if you have been the captain of a ship.

Exactly Texans Red. Reading some of these comments in this thread, boy you'd think that Texans fans of all people would have some better class than that. Apparently not with some people. We finally get the best coaching performance from any coach that's ever entered this team, and people are ready to blast the guy the minute that he "might" take another opportunity that is a better opportunity for him. Talk about having no appreciation for anything. As a coach or a player, who would want to bust their ass for fans like that who are going to be quick to turn on you the minute you succeed at progressing in your career??

Thorn
01-09-2012, 08:20 AM
Exactly Texans Red. Reading some of these comments in this thread, boy you'd think that Texans fans of all people would have some better class than that. Apparently not with some people. We finally get the best coaching performance from any coach that's ever entered this team, and people are ready to blast the guy the minute that he "might" take another opportunity that is a better opportunity for him. Talk about having no appreciation for anything. As a coach or a player, who would want to bust their ass for fans like that who are going to be quick to turn on you the minute you succeed at progressing in your career??

Hey Tex, I never claimed to have any class. :lol:

Texecutioner
01-09-2012, 08:25 AM
I think Mcnair is a smart guy. He's seen what hiring new guys has got him, he'll stay away from it unless a young guy really impresses them. After Wade he's not going to just settle for any old DC.

What makes you think that? In his history he's only hired one good coach that has done well in the last 10 seasons. Bob has a lot stronger history of bad hires than he does good hires coaching wise. I'd like to think that if Wade leaves that he'd thoroughly search for the best coaching candidate possible that is a vet DC. I'd hope that he would do that, but I wouldn't bank on it just because we hired Wade.

amazing80
01-09-2012, 08:36 AM
What makes you think that? In his history he's only hired one good coach that has done well in the last 10 seasons. Bob has a lot stronger history of bad hires than he does good hires coaching wise. I'd like to think that if Wade leaves that he'd thoroughly search for the best coaching candidate possible that is a vet DC. I'd hope that he would do that, but I wouldn't bank on it just because we hired Wade.

This. I really hope we search and do not immediately hire Herring. I really would prefer another proven guy. It seems like our young players gravitate to the veteran players and coaches much better. They see tentativeness as weakness especially with coaching, it seems. I would like a guy like Mike Nolan (if Miami hires a 4-3 HC) or Mike Singletary. Both flamed out as HC, but not bad as DC's.

EDIT: Assuming Wade leaves, something I do not think will happen for numerous reasons which I posted on pg 5 here and in another thread.

EVOLVIST
01-09-2012, 08:54 AM

To play devil's advocate here: We are only fans. We're not family, friends or insiders to Wade. There's no amount of appreciation that we can give Wade Phillips that he can actually feel. He's got much bigger people to answer to. I'm sure he concerns himself with how he answers to Gary Kubiak and to Bob McNair first, before anything else, in as much as he feels a part of the organization.

But winning is something that Wade Phillips concerns himself with, on a personal level, I'm sure. The happiness of the fans is merely a byproduct of fulfilling his own ego and/or pocketbook. It's something that happens only if Wade is self-fullfilled.

In other words, as a mere byproduct, should I feel any compunction to give my loyalty to someone who is neither family nor friend - someone who doesn't know me from Adam?

I am loyal to the team, because we belong to the city - and I feel that bond, whether it is real, or only imagined. Yet I cannot imagine that upper managment (with the exception of perhaps Bob McNair), really cares about me...so who am I to give my heart to them on a personal level?

Luv_ya_blue
01-09-2012, 08:58 AM
Fire Kubiak--hire Wade.
Problem solved...

:hides:

c'mon, you knew somebody would say it.

Btw, it's
:sarcasm:

Thorn
01-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Fire Kubiak--hire Wade.
Problem solved...

:hides:

c'mon, you knew somebody would say it.

Btw, it's
:sarcasm:

Considering what Kubiak minus Wade has brought us over the years, I wouldn't mind that at all if it's the only way to keep Wade. Seriously.

Doppelganger
01-09-2012, 09:00 AM
GP, this should help.

That's another reason Wade would want to go to TB. With 55 mill, he could completely remake their D in his image.

Hervoyel
01-09-2012, 09:09 AM
I think that Wade Phillips absolutely deserves a chance to be a HC in the NFL again. If there's a bar one has to reach in wins or winning percentage to be deserving of such a job I'm sure he's reached it.

Having said that I believe that part of the reason Wade has gotten the reputation of not being a very good HC is where he's coached and under what circumstances he's coached. I believed when he came here that he was a great DC but a bad HC who lost all the teams he'd ever led. Looking closer at it I see that he's cleaned up a lot of other peoples messes (New Orleans, Atlanta) and coached for some very dysfunctional organizations where winning can be at best difficult and holding on to the starting job is even harder (Buffalo, Dallas). In Denver he seems to have simply failed to ingratiate himself to "The Elway".

You take the opportunities you can get and I understand that but Tampa Bay isn't exactly what I'd call a great opportunity for a HC. It beats working for Jerry Jones in Dallas or being hired by Al Davis when he was alive but it's not an organization I think that does things right anymore. If I were Wade I'd be thinking that the next time I step into the HC's role I want a reasonable shot at sticking for a while. I know they'll have a lot of salary cap space available but are they willing to spend it or are they just looking at the bottom line? I think if we can win a Super Bowl or even just get to the AFC Championship game this year or next year then his stock will soar even higher.

If I were Wade I'd wait another year. That's just me though. I won't hold it against him if he takes the job. I'll just hope that we don't see another assistant coach with no experience trying to keep this thing together after Wade's gone.

beerlover
01-09-2012, 09:12 AM
I think that Wade Phillips absolutely deserves a chance to be a HC in the NFL again. If there's a bar one has to reach in wins or winning percentage to be deserving of such a job I'm sure he's reached it.

Having said that I believe that part of the reason Wade has gotten the reputation of not being a very good HC is where he's coached and under what circumstances he's coached. I believed when he came here that he was a great DC but a bad HC who lost all the teams he'd ever led. Looking closer at it I see that he's cleaned up a lot of other peoples messes (New Orleans, Atlanta) and coached for some very dysfunctional organizations where winning can be at best difficult and holding on to the starting job is even harder (Buffalo, Dallas).

You take the opportunities you can get and I understand that but Tampa Bay isn't exactly what I'd call a great opportunity for a HC. It beats working for Jerry Jones in Dallas or being hired by Al Davis when he was alive but it's not an organization I think that does things right anymore. If I were Wade I'd be thinking that the next time I step into the HC's role I want a reasonable shot at sticking for a while. I know they'll have a lot of salary cap space available but are they willing to spend it or are they just looking at the bottom line? I think if we can win a Super Bowl or even just get to the AFC Championship game this year or next year then his stock will soar even higher.

If I were Wade I'd wait another year. That's just me though. I won't hold it against him if he takes the job. I'll just hope that we don't see another assistant coach with no experience trying to keep this thing together after Wade's gone.

The Tampa situation is worse than the Dallas position & look how that turned out. It's one thing to be a fool its another to be an old fool :cowboy1:

thunderkyss
01-09-2012, 09:19 AM
I don't know if Wade gets TB job or not. One thing is certain that we do have good coaching staff that other teams are interested in which is a good thing IMO. Last year Dennison, before that Sherman(not pro but) and now Wade. I hope, Wade stays with us however, I do understand if he decided to leave for TB's HC job. To me, Wade deserves another chance to prove himself that he is capable of doing HC and be successful at it.

My thoughts on Wade as a head coach are mixed. When he got the Dallas job, I didn't understand the disapproval by the fans. Wade had always been a winner, couldn't win in the play-offs, but he was a winner. He even got Dallas their only post-season win in the last decade.

But the way his defense laid down on him, makes me wonder how is he at all the other things a head coach has to be good at... like "team building," media management, etc.....

Doppelganger
01-09-2012, 09:29 AM

Having said that I believe that part of the reason Wade has gotten the reputation of not being a very good HC is where he's coached and under what circumstances he's coached. I believed when he came here that he was a great DC but a bad HC who lost all the teams he'd ever led. Looking closer at it I see that he's cleaned up a lot of other peoples messes (New Orleans, Atlanta) and coached for some very dysfunctional organizations where winning can be at best difficult and holding on to the starting job is even harder (Buffalo, Dallas). In Denver he seems to have simply failed to ingratiate himself to "The Elway".

In 2013 they will have to spend due to the salary cap floor starting. They will have to spend at least 89% or 107 mill. They will have to spend in 2013, so when they make Wade the head coach, I think he will begin spending to remake his D. He could go after Robert Mathis/Mario to become his Demarcus Ware, sign Brent Grimes to become corner #1, draft LSU CB Morris Claiborne to be CB #2 and that would be shot in the arm talent-wise to the Bucs.

The other thing for Wade to consider is that he is 64 years old. He will be 65 next season. If he turns down the job(which I don't think he does), then he will be 66 the next season. How many more opportunities will he get as a HC? Plus NOW is when he will be at his hottest. He turned the Texans from worst to 2nd. If the Texans drop to 5th, he will look worse. If Wade is sincere about wanting to be a HC, and I think he is, I think he will take the job when offered.

Texecutioner
01-09-2012, 09:49 AM
To play devil's advocate here: We are only fans. We're not family, friends or insiders to Wade. There's no amount of appreciation that we can give Wade Phillips that he can actually feel. He's got much bigger people to answer to. I'm sure he concerns himself with how he answers to Gary Kubiak and to Bob McNair first, before anything else, in as much as he feels a part of the organization.

But winning is something that Wade Phillips concerns himself with, on a personal level, I'm sure. The happiness of the fans is merely a byproduct of fulfilling his own ego and/or pocketbook. It's something that happens only if Wade is self-fullfilled.

In other words, as a mere byproduct, should I feel any compunction to give my loyalty to someone who is neither family nor friend - someone who doesn't know me from Adam?

I am loyal to the team, because we belong to the city - and I feel that bond, whether it is real, or only imagined. Yet I cannot imagine that upper managment (with the exception of perhaps Bob McNair), really cares about me...so who am I to give my heart to them on a personal level?

It's called appreciation, and it always stinks when you're not appreciated when you deserve it. People including myself have bitched about Kubiak a lot over the years. Wade comes here and does a fantastic job and really helps to turn this team around. We have never had a true winning season in this history unless you want to claim to that 9-7 season a few years ago which I really don't. When a DC comes over here and in ONE SEASON takes the last place defense into the 1st place defense, that's historical and it's phenominal. Why wouldn't Wade possibly have other teams wanting him after he does something like that?? Why wouldn't he want several Million dollars more per season. That's the objective of a coach. To expect or to look down on a guy for wanting to achieve in his profession is selfish. You didn't have any problems wanting him to achieve here and he did. For a guy that finally made something huge happen in Houston after all these years in one season, he deserves a hell of a lot of respect from fans whether he leaves or not. If he does leave if anything, he deserves a warm farewell.

thunderkyss
01-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Kubiak has shown he knows NOTHING about running a defense or hiring someone who can. Phillips came in through the owner and Rick Smith, and if Phillips leaves, I agree with Grams, we're back to the same old **** around here.

hm.......

Frank Bush took us from 22nd to 13th against a tougher schedule.

2010, we dropped to 30th, partly because of injuries (we had just as many injuries in 2010 as we had in 2011).

If you count Cushing missing the first 4 games, Bullman missing the entire season, Barwin getting hurt the first game of the season, Demeco getting injured after KC, Diles getting injured, Wilson getting injured & a whole slew of others.... Mario played in 3 games he shouldn't have.

I say partly, because the injuries didn't stop us this year. I think Wade's 35 years of experience taught him to stay aggressive while working through injuries. The players we had acquired were all downhill players & they tried to play more zone coverages which took our play-makers out of the game.

Not trying to take anything from Wade Phillips & what he's done, but we had an awful lot of talent on this team before he got here & you're not going to go from 30th to 2nd without some help. Jacksonville also went from 28th to 6th, probably because of the schedule, & would have been higher if their offense could stay on the field & score points.

I don't see the 2011 draft any different than Rick Smith's previous drafts. We've gone defense heavy before, that's why we have so much talent on the defensive side of the ball. JJWatt & Brooks Reed in the first & second looked an aweful lot like Mario Williams & Demeco Ryans in 2006.

Jjo & Manning probably had more to do with McNair getting all up in Rick Smith's business than it had to do with Wade Phillips. Smith had not been able to sign any big name free agents until then...... Maybe it was Wade Phillips' reputation, I don't know. But if we make it to the AFC Championship game, I think we'll have enough clout to attract Free Agents & coaches..... like a new DC.

Rey
01-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Wade is old. He doesn't have time to sit around and wait for the perfect situation. Dude probabvly just wants one more shot. I think that Wade Phillips absolutely deserves a chance to be a HC in the NFL again. If there's a bar one has to reach in wins or winning percentage to be deserving of such a job I'm sure he's reached it.

GuerillaBlack
01-09-2012, 09:59 AM
hm.......

2010, we dropped to 30th, partly because of injuries (we had just as many injuries in 2010 as we had in 2011).

If you count Cushing missing the first 4 games, Bullman missing the entire season, Barwin getting hurt the first game of the season, Demeco getting injured after KC, Diles getting injured, Wilson getting injured & a whole slew of others.... Mario played in 3 games he shouldn't have.

I say partly, because the injuries didn't stop us this year. I think Wade's 35 years of experience taught him to stay aggressive while working through injuries. The players we had acquired were all downhill players & they tried to play more zone coverages which took our play-makers out of the game.

Not trying to take anything from Wade Phillips & what he's done, but we had an awful lot of talent on this team before he got here & you're not going to go from 30th to 2nd without some help. Jacksonville also went from 28th to 6th, probably because of the schedule, & would have been higher if their offense could stay on the field & score points.

I don't see the 2011 draft any different than Rick Smith's previous drafts. We've gone defense heavy before, that's why we have so much talent on the defensive side of the ball. JJWatt & Brooks Reed in the first & second looked an aweful lot like Mario Williams & Demeco Ryans in 2006.

Jjo & Manning probably had more to do with McNair getting all up in Rick Smith's business than it had to do with Wade Phillips. Smith had not been able to sign any big name free agents until then...... Maybe it was Wade Phillips' reputation, I don't know. But if we make it to the AFC Championship game, I think we'll have enough clout to attract Free Agents & coaches..... like a new DC.

It was either Manning or Joseph, or both, but they said the reason they were attracted to Houston was because of Wade Phillips being the defensive coordinator.

thunderkyss
01-09-2012, 10:13 AM
...Mike Singletary. Both flamed out as HC, but not bad as DC's.

Singletary was never a DC. He was a LB coach in Baltimore, they added the "Assistant HC" title to get him in San Francisco (it has to be a promotion for him to go to another team) but he was probably a little more than a LB coach.

I would love to give him a shot as DC in Houston. He's a Houston Native, and has a pedigree of winning. Plus he brings that fire & swagger to team that Kubiak doesn't portray.

If we can match his fire to Kubiak's ability to teach, communicate & bring together... who knows?

jjjezebel
01-09-2012, 10:15 AM
From the posts I've read, I'm not getting the feeling as much that people aren't appreciative of what Wade has done, but just that there's an overwhelming feeling of frustration and maybe betrayal that as soon as we FINALLY get a formula that works, something comes up to threaten that.

And I am firm in my belief that the timing of it just sucks. It's an emotional time and a key point in the season, and people are responding in a visceral fashion. It's to be expected. That doesn't mean that the fans reacting this way don't have any class.

Hervoyel
01-09-2012, 10:15 AM
hm.......

You're like a broken record with your Frank Bush love TK. I don't understand it and I can't explain it. You say you're not trying to take anything away from what Wade has done but I think that's exactly what you're doing. You're trying to say "Look at Frank Bush and the players he had and tell me how they're all that different from the players that Wade had and the defense he got out of them". Wade's defense was #2 in the NFL. Frank's was #13.

Frank failed when he had a rash of injuries, Wade succeeded. That's pretty much the end of it as far as I'm concerned but I have to admit that we all have our pet rehabilitation projects. I'm a Ron Dayne advocate so who am I to throw stones.

Hervoyel
01-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Wade is old. He doesn't have time to sit around and wait for the perfect situation. Dude probabvly just wants one more shot.

65 isn't any or less viable than 66. If he's going to jump at the first chance he's offered it will more than likely be another temporary caretaker position where the organization uses him and then throws him away. Stupid move in my opinion but his call to make.

beerlover
01-09-2012, 10:21 AM
65 isn't any or less viable than 66. If he's going to jump at the first chance he's offered it will more than likely be another temporary caretaker position where the organization uses him and then throws him away. Stupid move in my opinion but his call to make.

exactly. People talk about everyone wants to be top dog, well Wade is top dog here despite not being HC. This is the perfect storm for him, right now, right here (no pun intended with current weather). :snowday:

EVOLVIST
01-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Wade is old. He doesn't have time to sit around and wait for the perfect situation. Dude probabvly just wants one more shot.

And the odds are against that in the modern era, isn't it? I heard something on 790 where they analyzed the ages of coaches in the last 10 to 20 years, and if I remember correctly they claimed that nobody has ever been hired as a 64 year old. There are tenured coaches who have reached that age, but not as a hire. I think the closest that came to that was Joe Gibbs who was hired at 63 years old (but of course he got the job because of prior experience with the organization).

Marv Levy was last hired at 61.

Tom Coughlin is 65 but he took the Giants job at 58.

Pete Carroll took his last job at 58, too.

Texanfan4ever
01-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Does anyone know if Wade is going with our team to Baltimore, or is his interview going to interfere with our team this time? I am actually asking if he can travel due to his illness, but this situation makes me so angry that he would do this right before the biggest game we've ever played! I understand advancement but right now, this is his job and he's not done yet here! It's disrespectful to our guys who have grown to depend on him! He could have waited till our season ended before starting this drama!

And if you don't believe this is a distraction, just turn on the radio, tv, news channels! Instead of spending the week being excited about our team, we have to hear abt our coach wanting to leave! I'm going to believe that our guys are stronger from all the adversity they have made it through, and they can put Wade's issue behind them and get the job done!

Go Texans !!!! WE BELIEVE!!!!

Dutchrudder
01-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Does anyone know if Wade is going with our team to Baltimore, or is his interview going to interfere with our team this time? I am actually asking if he can travel due to his illness, but this situation makes me so angry that he would do this right before the biggest game we've ever played! I understand advancement but right now, this is his job and he's not done yet here! It's disrespectful to our guys who have grown to depend on him! He could have waited till our season ended before starting this drama!

And if you don't believe this is a distraction, just turn on the radio, tv, news channels! Instead of spending the week being excited about our team, we have to hear abt our coach wanting to leave! I'm going to believe that our guys are stronger from all the adversity they have made it through, and they can put Wade's issue behind them and get the job done!

Go Texans !!!! WE BELIEVE!!!!

The game is on Sunday, Wade's interview is on Friday in Houston. I'm sure he will be driving with the team and that hi interview will have no effect on his ability to coach the D on Sunday.

amazing80
01-09-2012, 10:31 AM
And the odds are against that in the modern era, isn't it? I heard something on 790 where they analyzed the ages of coaches in the last 10 to 20 years, and if I remember correctly they claimed that nobody has ever been hired as a 64 year old. There are tenured coaches who have reached that age, but not as a hire. I think the closest that came to that was Joe Gibbs who was hired at 63 years old (but of course he got the job because of prior experience with the organization).

Marv Levy was last hired at 61.

Tom Coughlin is 65 but he took the Giants job at 58.

Pete Carroll took his last job at 58, too.

Yup correct, I posted yesterday that Coughlin is the oldest but he has been with the team for awhile. He is too old, simple as that. Will NOT happen.

2012Champs
01-09-2012, 10:32 AM
For everyone who complains about how they hate the timing of this just doesnt understand the business that is the NFL. No one here could or should hate on Wade. If I came into any job and kicked ass with aspirations of moving up, you bet your ass I would entertain any potential offer as would any of you if you were smart.

silvrhand
01-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Wade has done a good job here, I don't blame him for looking for jobs elsewhere if he really wants to be a HC. I do blame him for doing it at the wrong time, I think it's a distraction for the team we didn't need.

just my .02

Chance_C
01-09-2012, 10:35 AM
I really can't believe that nobody has realized that there is a really simple solution here.....let Wade be head coach next year and Gary can be the offensive coordinator, then simply flip flop the next year. You know...everyone's happy!

Hervoyel
01-09-2012, 10:37 AM
For everyone who complains about how they hate the timing of this just doesnt understand the business that is the NFL. No one here could or should hate on Wade. If I came into any job and kicked ass with aspirations of moving up, you bet your ass I would entertain any potential offer as would any of you if you were smart.

There's a lot of carry-over I think from the recent Kevin Sumlin loss/hiring as far as how the fans are taking this. A lot of Texans fans are Cougar fans (or at least casual Cougar fans) and this just played out over at UH. Nobody wants to see the Texans come out and crap themselves ala UH in the Conference USA championship game against Southern Mississippi. It may seem entirely unrelated but the timing couldn't be worse as far as the publics perception is concerned.

bckey
01-09-2012, 10:38 AM
It is the timing and the fact that he hasn't even finished coaching his 1st year here. I don't think anybody is against Wade taking another hc job if that is what he is set on doing. I really don't think Bob McNair would have hired Phillips if he knew he would only stay 1 year. If Wade leaves it will be a big turnover on personel and who knows what players will want to follow him. Hiring Wade could turn out to be more destructive than helpful to the team in the long run if he leaves after his first year.

Phillips has been a hc numerous times so it isn't like he hasn't had a shot at it. So what is the rush? Finish out your contract here. It is his hometown. I guess I thought the guy would come here at his age and finish out his career. There are way more negatives with Wade leaving after such a short time than positives. Kubiak will get extended (again) because of this year and that tops that list for me. Of course this could all be Bobs fault if he promised Wade the hc job here thinking it would be a rebuilding year here switching to the 3-4 and the Texans would only be mediocre. Kubiak would be fired and Wade hired. But Peyton didn't play. Tennessee and Jacksonville are rebuilding. The Texans defense made a 30 place improvement. That all adds up to playoffs and Kubiak staying.

Am I selfish to want Wade to stay? Yep. So what. This is the team I have 10 years invested in along with alot more than that with the Oilers. Barring a superbowl win this year I will not like Wade for leaving after 1 year. In the end I don't think it will matter because I don't think Wade will be hired as a hc this year.

BullNation4Life
01-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Distraction-smaction if the players are that mentally incapable of not focusing on what their job is this Sunday, then that is on them. These things happen all the time. This isn't college, it's the NFL...

Do you think the Patriots players are giving a huge rat's arse that Josh McDainels is going to coordinate the offense this weekend and not O'Brien? I would bet my house that the hoodie has them focused and ready to go and that is the job Kubiak needs to do this Sunday.

Wade is going for an interview, not leaving the team before Sunday so it really shouldn't matter what Wade does on Friday as long as the game plan has been set for Sunday...

BullNation4Life
01-09-2012, 10:39 AM
It is the timing and the fact that he hasn't even finished coaching his 1st year here. I don't think anybody is against Wade taking another hc job if that is what he is set on doing. I really don't think Bob McNair would have hired Phillips if he knew he would only stay 1 year. If Wade leaves it will be a big turnover on personel and who knows what players will want to follow him. Hiring Wade could turn out to be more destructive than helpful to the team in the long run if he leaves after his first year.

Mario Williams anybody....Tampa defiantly has the cap space...

ChampionTexan
01-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Wade has done a good job here, I don't blame him for looking for jobs elsewhere if he really wants to be a HC. I do blame him for doing it at the wrong time, I think it's a distraction for the team we didn't need.

just my .02

So you believe he should wait to look for a HC job until all the positions are filled?

It's not like it's out of the norm. The Broncos OC is interviewing for the Jags job. The Patriots current OC has already accepted a job - and participated in the press conference introducing him. Heck, we interviewed Kubiak during a playoff run by the Broncos after the 2005 season. Most, if not all, jobs will be filled before the Super Bowl. It's just the way the NFL works, and like injuries, it's just something teams have to deal with.

Hervoyel
01-09-2012, 10:40 AM
I really can't believe that nobody has realized that there is a really simple solution here.....let Wade be head coach next year and Gary can be the offensive coordinator, then simply flip flop the next year. You know...everyone's happy!

If the two of them would do it I wouldn't be the slightest bit upset about that. Just give them both the title "Head Coach" and make them each all-powerful on their side of the ball. Whoever's players are on the field at the time is the man and he calls the shots. :cowboy1::pirate:

BullNation4Life
01-09-2012, 10:44 AM

and in all the years of NFL have you ever heard of this happening? Ever? with any team?

I face palm you for the thought...:toropalm:

Dutchrudder
01-09-2012, 10:45 AM
So you believe he should wait to look for a HC job until all the positions are filled?

It's not like it's out of the norm. The Broncos OC is interviewing for the Jags job. The Patriots current OC has already accepted a job - and participated in the press conference introducing him. Heck, we interviewed Kubiak during a playoff run by the Broncos after the 2005 season. Most, if not all, jobs will be filled before the Super Bowl. It's just the way the NFL works, and like injuries, it's just something teams have to deal with.

On top of all that, the Texans had to grant the Bucs the ability to interview him. It's not always a given that teams will grant that permission, so I'm sure Smithiak isn't too concerned about it. I know in the past when we were trying to fill Kyle Shanahan's spot, we were denied permission to interview a few coaches.

silvrhand
01-09-2012, 10:45 AM

Even if it works that way doesn't mean I have to like it, or the fact he could have waited if they really wanted him. Personally I don't think he'll get the job, but that's just me. He doesn't have a history of production good QB's and TB needs just as much as offensive help as defensive.

EVOLVIST
01-09-2012, 10:46 AM
It's called appreciation, and it always stinks when you're not appreciated when you deserve it. People including myself have bitched about Kubiak a lot over the years. Wade comes here and does a fantastic job and really helps to turn this team around. We have never had a true winning season in this history unless you want to claim to that 9-7 season a few years ago which I really don't. When a DC comes over here and in ONE SEASON takes the last place defense into the 1st place defense, that's historical and it's phenominal. Why wouldn't Wade possibly have other teams wanting him after he does something like that?? Why wouldn't he want several Million dollars more per season. That's the objective of a coach. To expect or to look down on a guy for wanting to achieve in his profession is selfish. You didn't have any problems wanting him to achieve here and he did. For a guy that finally made something huge happen in Houston after all these years in one season, he deserves a hell of a lot of respect from fans whether he leaves or not. If he does leave if anything, he deserves a warm farewell.

Just to be clear: Besides my job as devil's advocate, I feel very appreciative to Bob McNair for hiring Wade Phillips - not so much to Wade, because Wade is just doing his job. A good job is expected with a big name and a big hire like that. Even if Wade had failed I would still love Uncle Bob for it.

But yeah, Wade is looking out for himself and his family, just as I am. Fans should forget the aspect of Wade and his ego. That aspect of Wade is only theory (though we've had some indication of it by recent interviews).

In a magical world of unicorns and rainbows, though, the fan and coaches' relationship should be symbiotic in nature. That's not going to happen...but still... :nicedog:

Chance_C
01-09-2012, 10:49 AM
and in all the years of NFL have you ever heard of this happening? Ever? with any team?

I face palm you for the thought...

Forgot I was on the web, where is that sarcasm smiley again? Really didn't think I would need it though..

ChampionTexan
01-09-2012, 10:51 AM
On top of all that, the Texans had to grant the Bucs the ability to interview him. It's not always a given that teams will grant that permission, so I'm sure Smithiak isn't too concerned about it. I know in the past when we were trying to fill Kyle Shanahan's spot, we were denied permission to interview a few coaches.

The Texans were required by NFL rules to grant permission. That only applies to a candidate interviewing for a promotion to HC, so that's why the Shanahan replacement was different.

The Texans have the right to approve the time and location of the interview, but they couldn't refuse to grant permission.

Texanfan4ever
01-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Before I got off on my rant, my real question was does anyone know if Wade can fly this soon after his surgery so he can actually get to Baltimore?

infantrycak
01-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Marty Shottenheimer is 68 years old and the Bucs are going to interview him. 200-126 as HC. Probably a healthier 68 than Wade's 65. He is more of a disciplinarian as well. I would think he would have an edge over Wade.

Scooter
01-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Before I got off on my rant, my real question was does anyone know if Wade can fly this soon after his surgery so he can actually get to Baltimore?

if i heard correctly, they're coming here. "interview in houston".

Doppelganger
01-09-2012, 11:03 AM
I know its been said before, but what irritates me the most about this situation is that I should be thrilled the Texans won on Saturday. I should be ecstatic and enjoying the win all week. I should be gearing up for the Baltimore game, but I am not.

Instead I am thinking about potential DC coordinators to replace Wade. I am pretty sure Kubes and McNair will hire from within and give Herring the job rather than get someone good. I am all but convinced when Wade leaves the team returns to that 7 or 9 win NFL purgatory and that McNair will extend Kubes this off season and we will get several more years of Kubiocrity in Htown.

Doppelganger
01-09-2012, 11:03 AM

If he can't fly, I could see the Texans hiring a bus to drive him up there.

if i heard correctly, they're coming here. "interview in houston".

I think he was referring to Wade being able to fly to Baltimore to coach on Sunday.

nero THE zero
01-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Marty Shottenheimer is 68 years old and the Bucs are going to interview him. 200-126 as HC. Probably a healthier 68 than Wade's 65. He is more of a disciplinarian as well. I would think he would have an edge over Wade.

Shottenheimer would be a great hire.

thunderkyss
01-09-2012, 11:04 AM
You're like a broken record with your Frank Bush love TK.

I was making a point. Thorn said Kubiak has never shown any ability to get someone in here who knows how to run a defense. I offered Frank Bush.

Frank failed when he had a rash of injuries, Wade succeeded.

& that's my point as well. It wasn't the Xs & Os part of the job that Frank Bush failed..... it was having the fortitude to stay true to who you are.

That's pretty much the end of it as far as I'm concerned but I have to admit that we all have our pet rehabilitation projects. I'm a Ron Dayne advocate so who am I to throw stones.

In no way am I saying to bring back Frank Bush. He failed to see what worked & to stick to it, then tried to get his players to be succesful at something they simply weren't.

Kubiak made the same error, by not telling Bush, "stick to that aggressive ****."

Hopefully, Kubiak has learned from Wade & will have the fortitude in the future to tell the next guy what needs to be done if he isn't seeing it himself.

Thorn
01-09-2012, 11:12 AM
I am all but convinced when Wade leaves the team returns to that 7 or 9 win NFL purgatory and that McNair will extend Kubes this off season and we will get several more years of Kubiocrity in Htown.

This is my nightmare as well. In no way shape or form am I conviced Kubiak can do the complete job. We are where we are at this season because of BOTH Phillips and Kubiak, not just one of them. And I'm not conviced of either of them being able to do the job of head coach if one of them leaves, but for arguments sake, I'd keep Wade ahead of Kubiak just 'cause.

Texecutioner
01-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Just to be clear: Besides my job as devil's advocate, I feel very appreciative to Bob McNair for hiring Wade Phillips - not so much to Wade, because Wade is just doing his job. A good job is expected with a big name and a big hire like that. Even if Wade had failed I would still love Uncle Bob for it.

Bob Mcnair has nothing to do with this. He is not a coach, and he is not comparable. Stop trying to use him as some sort of shrine that coaches can't even think to be on the same Universe as. To me, that sounds like a cop out for Flip flopping on a coach. You might as well be like those fair weather fans that only want to care about a team when they're a good team. I mean, would you hate on AJ if he went off to another team to get more money and to be in a better situation?? Coaches coach for the most money and the best situation for them the majority of the time. Everyone keeps acting all "entitled" here for some reason on a franchise that hasn't been to a playoffs until now. How about appreciating who finally got us there??

But yeah, Wade is looking out for himself and his family, just as I am. Fans should forget the aspect of Wade and his ego. That aspect of Wade is only theory (though we've had some indication of it by recent interviews).

Just as every coach does in the history of the NFL. You seem to forget that if the Texans had a horrible defense again, than Wade is probably fired after one season, so it's a two way street. Don't root for any coach on this team than, if they're only name and a face to you that is a nobody the minute that they are somewhere else. And what is this ego that you're talking about?? Wade is one of the most humble coaches around the league and has always been. I never thought I'd see a day where people put Wade and ego in the same sentence.

In a magical world of unicorns and rainbows, though, the fan and coaches' relationship should be symbiotic in nature. That's not going to happen...but still... :nicedog:

If Wade is back next season, what are you going to do than?? Act like he's a god over here and until the next team wants to talk to him?? If he has success here, he is going to be a wanted man around this league. That is how things work. Success on our defense = Teams wanting Wade Phillips. Do you not want success on this defense than?? Well either root for our defense and for Wade to do well here and be happy that he was and appreciative for a great job, or root for our defense just to be merely average so Wade can stay here forever. You can't really have it both ways.

Rey
01-09-2012, 11:23 AM
I didn't say anything about 66. Who is to say this ideal situation you speak of becomes available next year? Or the year after? HC jobs usually become available because the franchise is struggling. Good head coaches turn franchises around. If wade considers hgimself a good HC this opprotunity is as good a any other. In the nfl you can win anywhere if you do it right. I don't get what you are saying. This isn't the al davis owned raiders or the jerry owned cowboys. He can win in tampa. 65 isn't any or less viable than 66. If he's going to jump at the first chance he's offered it will more than likely be another temporary caretaker position where the organization uses him and then throws him away. Stupid move in my opinion but his call to make.

bckey
01-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Bob Mcnair has nothing to do with this. He is not a coach, and he is not comparable. Stop trying to use him as some sort of shrine that coaches can't even think to be on the same Universe as. To me, that sounds like a cop out for Flip flopping on a coach. You might as well be like those fair weather fans that only want to care about a team when they're a good team. I mean, would you hate on AJ if he went off to another team to get more money and to be in a better situation?? Coaches coach for the most money and the best situation for them the majority of the time. Everyone keeps acting all "entitled" here for some reason on a franchise that hasn't been to a playoffs until now. How about appreciating who finally got us there??

Just as every coach does in the history of the NFL. You seem to forget that if the Texans had a horrible defense again, than Wade is probably fired after one season, so it's a two way street. Don't root for any coach on this team than, if they're only name and a face to you that is a nobody the minute that they are somewhere else. And what is this ego that you're talking about?? Wade is one of the most humble coaches around the league and has always been. I never thought I'd see a day where people put Wade and ego in the same sentence.

If Wade is back next season, what are you going to do than?? Act like he's a god over here and until the next team wants to talk to him?? If he has success here, he is going to be a wanted man around this league. That is how things work. Success on our defense = Teams wanting Wade Phillips. Do you not want success on this defense than?? Well either root for our defense and for Wade to do well here and be happy that he was and appreciative for a great job, or root for our defense just to be merely average so Wade can stay here forever. You can't really have it both ways.

I think its the 1 year and done thing and the timing. We all want the best for Wade but this team comes first over Wade. If he stays another year then at least he will have laid a good foundation here before he leaves. 1 year is nothing.

Goldensilence
01-09-2012, 11:42 AM
The NFL goes through phases in which every coaching carousel its either new blood in the coaching ranks or coaching retreads.

I would love to see Marty in the coaching ranks again and for a team with the kind of problems Tampa has had might be a good fit. I don't see why you'd hire someone soft as Wade in that situation.

Still some openings out there, I think some teams will entertain Wade as a HC, but I'd be surprised to see him get any.

Texecutioner
01-09-2012, 11:46 AM
I think its the 1 year and done thing and the timing. We all want the best for Wade but this team comes first over Wade. If he stays another year then at least he will have laid a good foundation here before he leaves. 1 year is nothing.

Having the best defensive team in the league with a ton of bad asses we picked up in the off season like Joseph, Manning, Watt, and Reed wasn't leaving this team with a good foundation to you? I don't see how he could have left a "better" foundation than that honestly. We had the best defense in the league this season and have enough pieces to be a really good defense for many years as long as we continue to build it.

Doppelganger
01-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Having the best defensive team in the league with a ton of bad asses we picked up in the off season like Joseph, Manning, Watt, and Reed wasn't leaving this team with a good foundation to you? I don't see how he could have left a "better" foundation than that honestly. We had the best defense in the league this season and have enough pieces to be a really good defense for many years as long as we continue to build it.

Players fit schemes.Watt and Reed were specifically selected with a Wade 3-4 in mind. When Wade leaves and if the Texans go outside the organization, the question will be if the players fot the new scheme. Can Watt play as a 4-3 DT or are you now wasting his talent there? Is Reed big enough to play as a 4-3 DE?

We have the pieces in place as long as Wade stays here. The second he leaves, the D regresses big time. The D gave up 28 to Carolina and 19 to Dan Orlovsky.

Thorn
01-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Players fit schemes.Watt and Reed were specifically selected with a Wade 3-4 in mind. When Wade leaves and if the Texans go outside the organization, the question will be if the players fot the new scheme. Can Watt play as a 4-3 DT or are you now wasting his talent there? Is Reed big enough to play as a 4-3 DE?

We have the pieces in place as long as Wade stays here. The second he leaves, the D regresses big time. The D gave up 28 to Carolina and 19 to Dan Orlovsky.

Exactly. + rep.

EVOLVIST
01-09-2012, 12:11 PM

Firstly, it seems as if you're getting way to emotional over this. And as far as entitlement, yes, the players, the fans and the city are entitled to the best consumer-based product we can get, and that falls squarely on Bob McNair. Bob hired Kubiak and Bob hired Wade Phillips.

There is no flip-flopping here. It's called being diplomatic, in that there is good reasons for fans to be upset about this whole Wade Phillips business, just as there are a lot of reasons not to be. You're making it sound black and white, while it is very much shades of grey, all things considering.

Moreover, as I've said before, this whole thing with having an NFL team, from the owner(s) to the coaches, to the players and the fans, is symbiotic and circular in the socio-economic sense. As an example, you're seeing a very bad paradigm in Jacksonville, where the whole megillah is out of sync

I doubt I have to go through the whole Houston Texans' story for most people to recall how we all got into this NFL franchise, both financially and socially.

Personally, I don't root for any coaches. Like I'm expected to perform, so are they. There job is to prepare their team to win this city a championship. None of them have done it yet. Bob McNair has not been able to do it yet as an owner.

But, really, everybody has an ego, and more times than not, success and a hightened ego go hand-in-hand. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but Phillips' repeated, "Check my record," leans to the fact that he feels he can get the job done as head coach. That's confidence and that ego. They walk together.

So what? Who cares, really?

What's more, after all of this, I have not bashed Wade one bit - and I don't feel that I've knocked him just because I'm not kissing his feet. Wade is cool. He's great, okay? But whether he stays or leaves there's not a damn thing anyone in here can do about it. Everybody has their own personal reaction, and it will continue that way whether Wade stays or leaves.

Texecutioner
01-09-2012, 12:14 PM

Why is it so hard to understand that coaches leave when they get better opportunities?? If your coordinator does well, HE WILL GET OFFERS FROM OTHER TEAMS. It's how the NFL works. Why in the hell did any of you think that this wasn't a possibility the minute Wade was hired if he had a lot of success?? Are you going to tell me that you would rather have hired someone else now?? People complaining are mad if our coaches aren't coaching a great unit, but then when they are so good that other teams want them, they want to be mad because that coach might want to leave. Well then, how about being mad at our owner for not making "Wade" the HC than if this is such a problem?

All of this stuff you're saying about these players like Watt and Reed are a problem at all unless our management are complete dumbasses and hire a DC that runs a 4-3. You don't switch to a 3-4 and then switch right back to a 4-3 the very next season. We have great players here to run the 3-4, so naturally the Texans management will find another guy who runs an effective version of the 3-4. That would be the common sense thing to do, and I can't see the Texans being stupid and hiring a 4-3 guy after we just invested all of this money into players for the 3-4.

Thorn
01-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Why is it so hard to understand that coaches leave when they get better opportunities?? If your coordinator does well, HE WILL GET OFFERS FROM OTHER TEAMS. It's how the NFL works. Why in the hell did any of you think that this wasn't a possibility the minute Wade was hired if he had a lot of success??

We know this Tex, we know it. But it doesn't mean we have to like it. And it also means if he leaves, our defense will not be as good. No one is saying he doesn't have the right to leave, he does, what we are saying is we don't like it.

As fans, we have the right to like or dislike what the team does, and what players and coaches do as well.

Grams
01-09-2012, 12:24 PM

The problem is we have seen several bad DC's here before Wade came. He has only been here a year and if he leaves who's to say they won't revert to hiring another bad DC.

We have seen first hand what a bad DC can do with some pretty solid players.

It was nice to think that our defense would only get better next year. Nice to see the Texans with all - or most of all - the pieces to be a contender for several years.

I really am not confident that the Texans would hire an experienced 3-4 DC to finish what Wade started. If Wade does leave and they hire from within, I think we are screwed - again.

Hervoyel
01-09-2012, 12:29 PM
I dunno, interviewing 68 year old Marty gives you the opportunity to announce you just hired Wade Phillips and no, he wasn't all that old after all. it's not like you hired a guy who is about to turn 70.

Must not be pessimistic about this.

Texecutioner
01-09-2012, 12:33 PM
The problem is we have seen several bad DC's here before Wade came. He has only been here a year and if he leaves who's to say they won't revert to hiring another bad DC.

Not Wade's problem and it shouldn't be. That would be the fault of Rick Smith and Bob Mcnair if that happened. I'll appreciate the one coach that came here and made us bad ass whether he was here for one season or five seasons. DC's and OC's generate interest if they're one of the best in the league. If you don't want our DC to leave next time, then you're going to have to hope that we're not that good on defense so they won't generate interest, and that is counter productive to the cause.

We have seen first hand what a bad DC can do with some pretty solid players.

It was nice to think that our defense would only get better next year. Nice to see the Texans with all - or most of all - the pieces to be a contender for several years.

I really am not confident that the Texans would hire an experienced 3-4 DC to finish what Wade started. If Wade does leave and they hire from within, I think we are screwed - again.

No reason to feel like we're screwed until Wade does actually leave and we hire someone else that looks like a terrible hire. Just because Wade leaves doesn't mean that we couldn't still hire another great DC that could continue to build a great defensive unit.

Texecutioner
01-09-2012, 12:37 PM
We know this Tex, we know it. But it doesn't mean we have to like it. And it also means if he leaves, our defense will not be as good. No one is saying he doesn't have the right to leave, he does, what we are saying is we don't like it.

As fans, we have the right to like or dislike what the team does, and what players and coaches do as well.

Well who would like it if a great coach leaves? Of course no one is going to like it. I just don't see why that coach should be bashed for it or be criticized. It just makes a fan base look like a bunch of spoiled brats that don't deserve to have a good coach in my opinion when I hear fans acting like that. I've criticized Kubiak for years in here because he caused us to miss the playoffs in one season and was a constant under achiever. I never felt that Kubiak was owed anything since he didn't earn or achieve anything here really. I finally see a coach come here and accomplish greatness on his unit in just one season, so for that I'll support the guy here or wherever else he goes. Normally it takes at least two to three seasons to transform a defense around like Wade has, but he did it in one off season with a lockout. I don't see what it matters that he was here for only one season. He did what he was asked to do and put the Texans in a great position to have a great defense going forward. What more could you ask?? If that's not enough, then nothing ever will be.

Doppelganger
01-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Why is it so hard to understand that coaches leave when they get better opportunities?? If your coordinator does well, HE WILL GET OFFERS FROM OTHER TEAMS. It's how the NFL works. Why in the hell did any of you think that this wasn't a possibility the minute Wade was hired if he had a lot of success?? Are you going to tell me that you would rather have hired someone else now??

All of this stuff you're saying about these players like Watt and Reed are a problem at all unless our management are complete dumbasses and hire a DC that runs a 4-3. You don't switch to a 3-4 and then switch right back to a 4-3 the very next season. We have great players here to run the 3-4, so naturally the Texans management will find another guy who runs an effective version of the 3-4. That would be the common sense thing to do, and I can't see the Texans being stupid and hiring a 4-3 guy after we just invested all of this money into players for the 3-4.

What in our management's history has led you to think they are NOT run by a group of dumb-asses. They hired Dom Capers the "Defensive genius" and then let him hire Chis Palmer as his OC? Really? What has Chris Palmer ever done to warrant that hire at that point? Nothing. Then When kubes the offensive genius comes in, he brings in Richard Smith?! Then he goes with Frank Bush? The management oked these decisions. They let one sided head coaches hire neophytes to run the other side of the team and it failed miserably. What makes you think when Wade leaves they will get any better at this? Fool me once shame on you. Fool me 4 times, shame on me.

Here is the problem: Wade doesn't run a 3-4, he runs a hybrid 4-3/3-4 system. Wade plays a gap 3-4 which other 3-4 teams don't play. In a typical 3-4, the DEs are asked to clog rather than rush. In a typical 3-4, the NT is asked to clog, not penetrate. This style does not suit Antonio, Watt, or Cody. Wade's 3-4 is so unique very few coordinators use it. Trying to find someone else who is good to run it will be next to impossible. So, since the texans are pretty much screwed in this regard, they will be pretty much forced to hire Reggie Herring. Expect Kubes, McNair, and Wade to pat him on the back and sell us that he is ready to go.

And to answer your question: "Are you going to tell me that you would rather have hired someone else now??" If I had known at that point that Wade was a one year and done guy, then yeah, I would not have wanted him here. I would have rather we have gone after someone like Jerry Gray who plays a more common 4-3. Had Gray done well and left, we could have found other good people to run a solid to good 4-3 unit. Wade's 3-4 is so unique only two people can run it well: Wade and Bum Phillips.

Texecutioner
01-09-2012, 12:50 PM
And to answer your question: "Are you going to tell me that you would rather have hired someone else now??" If I had known at that point that Wade was a one year and done guy, then yeah, I would not have wanted him here. I would have rather we have gone after someone like Jerry Gray who plays a more common 4-3. Had Gray done well and left, we could have found other good people to run a solid to good 4-3 unit. Wade's 3-4 is so unique only two people can run it well: Wade and Bum Phillips.

Well sorry, but that was your fault than for thinking that Wade couldn't potentially leave after one season. That could happen in any season when a DC has a great unit. You guys wanted this defense transformed into a great unit, well Wade managed to do that in one off season. ONE! So essentially you're saying you would have rather had it taken a few seasons and this team to have gradually gotten better. Well if that happens, we most likely don't win this division and probably don't make the playoffs. Would that have been better for you?? You guys wanted a defense turned around and you got it faster than expected. With results like those, comes attention. Wade caused enough attention to warrant interest from other teams.

I'm tired of hearing that this defense is doomed if Wade leaves. That's just crazy. The Ravens have been through like 3 or 4 DC's in the last ten years and have not missed a beat. As long as we continue to pick up pieces for this defense and hire someone good again, we'll be fine. Just because the Texans had bad hires in the past doesn't automatically mean that will happen every time. They did just hire Wade, so they got that right. They could possibly get another great hire.

infantrycak
01-09-2012, 12:56 PM
What in our management's history has led you to think they are NOT run by a group of dumb-asses. They hired Dom Capers the "Defensive genius" and then let him hire Chis Palmer as his OC? Really? What has Chris Palmer ever done to warrant that hire at that point? Nothing.

What? Palmer OC'd the nations most prolific offense at Colgate University. Then went on to have a very good record as HC at University of New Haven. Then he OC'd two playoff Jaguars teams do well enough to be hired as HC for the Browns. Palmer certainly did not have nothing on his resume. He also had a lot of experience and reputation for working with QB's and the Texans were planning on Carr.

Thorn
01-09-2012, 12:57 PM
I'm tired of hearing that this defense is doomed if Wade leaves. That's just crazy. The Ravens have been through like 3 or 4 DC's in the last ten years and have not missed a beat. As long as we continue to pick up pieces for this defense and hire someone good again, we'll be fine. Just because the Texans had bad hires in the past doesn't automatically mean that will happen every time. They did just hire Wade, so they got that right. They could possibly get another great hire.

Possibly? LOL. As long as Kubiak doesn't have any say so in who they hire, and it's Rick Smith who does the hiring, we stand a better chance. Kubiak has a proven record when it comes to hiring DCs, and it's a piss poor one.

Say Watt
01-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Well sorry, but that was your fault than for thinking that Wade couldn't potentially leave after one season. That could happen in any season when a DC has a great unit. You guys wanted this defense transformed into a great unit, well Wade managed to do that in one off season. ONE! So essentially you're saying you would have rather had it taken a few seasons and this team to have gradually gotten better. Well if that happens, we most likely don't win this division and probably don't make the playoffs. Would that have been better for you?? You guys wanted a defense turned around and you got it faster than expected. With results like those, comes attention. Wade caused enough attention to warrant interest from other teams.

Come on man. You are an angrier person than this. :)

Wade doing this during the playoffs is wrong, plain and simple. If he had even an ounce of respect for Houston and this franchise, he'd have said that he would love to interview but after the season is over. He is here to do a job and is being paid like a head coach to do this job. He is screwing over this entire city and worse yet, he is screwing over his players by allowing his mind to be somewhere else (on potentially getting the TB job) instead of where it needs to be in finding a way to stop Ray Rice and Baltimore.

This is a low class move, and I don't think I can ever view Wade the same way. Maybe if this were a city that had won Super Bowls before (like the NE analogy that everyone likes to mention) or that had even been in the playoffs regularly, maybe I could understand. But this is our first real chance in the playoffs in almost two decades, and Wade has the chance to go down in Houston football history. Instead, he screws us all over with this BS.

Once again, screw Wade Phillips.

Doppelganger
01-09-2012, 01:06 PM

Yeah, it probably was my fault for thinking Wade would stick more than a year. I am just not as optimistic as you. In order for Wade to have left the mark he would have needed to stick around 2-3 seasons. Then he could have left and left the team with a winning mentality and with a solid set of coaches ready to move the team forward. Being one and done in such a unique Defense leaves us screwed. Who is ready to step in right now? I don't think anybody. Had Wade stuck around he could have groomed Vance Joseph(who i think is the next big one) to step into his shoes. Vance Joseph could then have stayed for a couple of years as he groomed the next guy and so forth. That's how the Ravens and really good Defensive teams operate. The top guy grooms the next one in line.

The Ravens are different becuase they have played a very traditional 3-4 and have a solid track record of constantly finding and promoting talent. The only good coordinator Htown has had in 10 years has been Wade. And without Wade, the Texans become the Cleveland Browns: one lone playoff appearance and years of mediocrity.

Mr. White
01-09-2012, 01:14 PM

Wade doing this during the playoffs is wrong, plain and simple. If he had even an ounce of respect for Houston and this franchise, he'd have said that he would love to interview but after the season is over. He is here to do a job and is being paid like a head coach to do this job. He is screwing over this entire city and worse yet, he is screwing over his players by allowing his mind to be somewhere else (on potentially getting the TB job) instead of where it needs to be in finding a way to stop Ray Rice and Baltimore.

This is a low class move, and I don't think I can ever view Wade the same way. Maybe if this were a city that had won Super Bowls before (like the NE analogy that everyone likes to mention) or that had even been in the playoffs regularly, maybe I could understand. But this is our first real chance in the playoffs in almost two decades, and Wade has the chance to go down in Houston football history. Instead, he screws us all over with this BS.

This logic works for college coaches, but it doesn't wash in the pros. Coordinators that are in the playoffs always interview during the playoffs unless the job opens up after the playoffs.

BTW, Denver was in the playoffs when Kubiak interviewed with the Texans.

TEXANRED
01-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Possibly? LOL. As long as Kubiak doesn't have any say so in who they hire, and it's Rick Smith who does the hiring, we stand a better chance. Kubiak has a proven record when it comes to hiring DCs, and it's a piss poor one.

We could always elevate our offensive line coach to DC. We could run the wide 9 technique.

Say Watt
01-09-2012, 01:31 PM
This logic works for college coaches, but it doesn't wash in the pros. Coordinators that are in the playoffs always interview during the playoffs unless the job opens up after the playoffs.

BTW, Denver was in the playoffs when Kubiak interviewed with the Texans.

I'd argue it makes even less sense for the pro coaches to do it though. In college, the coach needs to be hired for recruiting purposes. Once the head coach is fired in college, recruiting commitments are right around the corner, so it is paramount that the new coach gets in asap and starts visiting recruits.

There is nothing like this in the pro game. Sure, the coach needs to begin preparations for the NFL draft, but one could also argue that most of the draft decisions are made by the GM thus negating the need for getting the new head coach in there.

You can make whatever arguments you want but if the Phillips family really loved Houston as much as they claim, this would be a no brainer. Wade needs to focus on the playoffs. That's it. Putting his mind on anything else other than that is a disservice to the entire city and his entire team.

I'm a little ashamed so many people are defending Wade's actions...

thunderkyss
01-09-2012, 01:44 PM
I'd argue it makes even less sense for the pro coaches to do it though. In college, the coach needs to be hired for recruiting purposes. Once the head coach is fired in college, recruiting commitments are right around the corner, so it is paramount that the new coach gets in asap and starts visiting recruits.

You could argue until you're blue in the face, won't change the fact that that is just the way it is.

Teams out of the play-offs are looking for coaches now. They begin interviewing now. Wade would like to be considered for a head coaching opportunity... the time is now.

Texecutioner
01-09-2012, 01:56 PM

This comes off as "work here as our HC or be damned."

Do you think that JJ Watt was exciting to watch this season? What about Reed? We didn't have Mario remember. Did you enjoy these guys? How about those free agents we finally snagged?? I'm sure you enjoyed Jonathan Joseph all season make it to a Pro Bowl. Well guess what, that is Wade Phillips who made that happen. He helped convince our management staff to finally get free agents and he also eyeballed some great talent like Watt and Reed that we drafted that will be very good here for years to come. Whether he is here for one season or more, he did great things for this team now and for the future as far as this roster goes. You didn't think Wade would get a job offer this soon obviously by your tone, but when you have one of the best turn around impacts to a new franchise that hires you that quickly, you become a hot commodity again. I don't recall you guys complaining when this Texans defense was kicking ass from week to week. Well all of that stuff you cheered for caused Wade Phillips to become a lot more intriguing and valuable. And more than likely he is going to cash in on that value as he should. I think some of you truly do forget how much more money a few million dollars a year for several years is. Money talks and no one is going to turn down that much money. Wade is the son of Bum Phillips, not Sam Walton.

Mr. White
01-09-2012, 02:03 PM

There is nothing like this in the pro game. Sure, the coach needs to begin preparations for the NFL draft, but one could also argue that most of the draft decisions are made by the GM thus negating the need for getting the new head coach in there.

To clarify, I said I understood the logic behind fans getting pissed when a college coach ditches his team right before a bowl game. I don't understand this logic at all when it comes to pro coaches.

NFL teams fire coaches on the Monday after the season ends. They conduct interviews during the playoffs. If they want a good coordinator, then they interview one from a team that's in the playoffs. Once the interview's over, then the coordinator goes back to work.

It may not make sense to you, but it's just the way it's always been. There are only 32 of these jobs and they pay a lot better than coordinator jobs, so any guy that's worth his salt wants one.

You can make whatever arguments you want but if the Phillips family really loved Houston as much as they claim, this would be a no brainer. Wade needs to focus on the playoffs. That's it. Putting his mind on anything else other than that is a disservice to the entire city and his entire team.

I'm a little ashamed so many people are defending Wade's actions...

I remember hearing Wade say he didn't think he'd get a head coaching job again. I never heard him say that he doesn't want a head coaching job again. I also never heard him say that he wanted to be a DC in Houston until he retires. To expect loyalty from a coordinator is pretty naive.

Some of you guys are taking this way too personal.

bckey
01-09-2012, 02:05 PM
This comes off as "work here as our HC or be damned."

Do you think that JJ Watt was exciting to watch this season? What about Reed? We didn't have Mario remember. Did you enjoy these guys? How about those free agents we finally snagged?? I'm sure you enjoyed Jonathan Joseph all season make it to a Pro Bowl. Well guess what, that is Wade Phillips who made that happen. He helped convince our management staff to finally get free agents and he also eyeballed some great talent like Watt and Reed that we drafted that will be very good here for years to come. Whether he is here for one season or more, he did great things for this team now and for the future as far as this roster goes. You didn't think Wade would get a job offer this soon obviously by your tone, but when you have one of the best turn around impacts to a new franchise that hires you that quickly, you become a hot commodity again. I don't recall you guys complaining when this Texans defense was kicking ass from week to week. Well all of that stuff you cheered for caused Wade Phillips to become a lot more intriguing and valuable. And more than likely he is going to cash in on that value as he should. I think some of you truly do forget how much more money a few million dollars a year for several years is. Money talks and no one is going to turn down that much money. Wade is the son of Bum Phillips, not Sam Walton.

I don't think you get it. Nobody here that I know of doesn't appreciate what Wade has done here. It is the idea of only 1 year and walking away. 1 year is nothing. I don't like the idea of losing coaches and players after 1 year of success. Wade can prevent that by staying one more year. And I don't think it has anything to do with money. I really think it has everything to do with his ego.

Texanator
01-09-2012, 02:06 PM
I just saw on ESPN (noon on Monday)
that The Bucs also want to talk to Marty Schottenheimer. I'd bet they would take him before Wade, or we can hope for that anyways!

Mr. White
01-09-2012, 02:21 PM
I don't think you get it. Nobody here that I know of doesn't appreciate what Wade has done here. It is the idea of only 1 year and walking away. 1 year is nothing. I don't like the idea of losing coaches and players after 1 year of success. Wade can prevent that by staying one more year. And I don't think it has anything to do with money. I really think it has everything to do with his ego.

I get it. I just don't think it's realistic. Coordinators by are always looking for a head coaching job. If a guy can turn around the second worst defense to the third best, then that'll be one of the best candidates. Just the nature of the beast.

Coordinators are like backup QB's. You shouldn't get attached to either one because they all want to be "the guy" somewhere else. Coordinator is a stepping stone job.

Texecutioner
01-09-2012, 02:23 PM

So a man that is about to be 70 in a few years should have to "wait" for his shot at being a HC again?? Sure, because for DC's head coaching vacancies are just waiting there for them every off season right?? Don't give me this crap that Wade shouldn't take a job because he has been here for only one season. He'll make several Million more dollars per season as a HC and 98% of coaches in the NFL that are coordinators all want to be HC's.

This one year stuff is just BS. I've seen tons of different coaches come and go to different teams for one or two seasons because they find better opportunities. This happens every season with teams all over the league. You guys act like this is your first season to watch the NFL. If you think that Wade is so valuable here, than ***** to Mcnair for not making Wade the HC and making Gary Kubiak an OC than. After all, Mcnair is the owner who decides who coaches here. Coaches just coach wherever they have the best situation that also pays a lot. If Wade could be the HC he'd be here. He can only be a DC here though, and to expect him to turn down a head coaching job is extremely naive and unrealistic.

bckey
01-09-2012, 02:43 PM
So a man that is about to be 70 in a few years should have to "wait" for his shot at being a HC again?

He has been a head coach for 4 different teams already. So I don't know about the "wait" for his shot at being HC. It seems like more of a "look at me and the job I have done" sort of thing. An ego stroking. Bad timing and a need to be recognized for the job he has done. I don't have to like it or agree with it. I still say Wade will be here next year. Just don't like the way he is handling the whole situation at this point in time.

2012Champs
01-09-2012, 02:48 PM

He doesnt owe anyone another year no matter how bad your feelings are hurt. He came in and did his job really well and if he gets a HC job he should take it if he wants to give it another go

Texanfan4ever
01-09-2012, 03:31 PM
He did his job really well, there is no question! But his job that he is paid to do is not over until the end of our seAson! He shouldn't be even thinking about where he is going next! He should be concentrating on his team he has now! It's just disrespectful and wrong to be doing this at this time!

bckey
01-09-2012, 03:42 PM
He doesnt owe anyone another year no matter how bad your feelings are hurt. He came in and did his job really well and if he gets a HC job he should take it if he wants to give it another go

Look. I don't like what Wade has been quoted as saying and I don't like the timing of the whole mess. That is my opinion. You have yours. That is what makes a message board intersting. Now lets just agree to disagree.

2012Champs
01-09-2012, 03:43 PM
He did his job really well, there is no question! But his job that he is paid to do is not over until the end of our seAson! He shouldn't be even thinking about where he is going next! He should be concentrating on his team he has now! It's just disrespectful and wrong to be doing this at this time!

He is doing the job he has been paid to do and will continue to carry out his current duties. To say he shouldnt be even be thinking about another job just shows you dont understand business in general and certainly not how the NFL works. It is far from disrespectful or wrong.

Texecutioner
01-09-2012, 03:55 PM
He has been a head coach for 4 different teams already. So I don't know about the "wait" for his shot at being HC. It seems like more of a "look at me and the job I have done" sort of thing. An ego stroking. Bad timing and a need to be recognized for the job he has done. I don't have to like it or agree with it. I still say Wade will be here next year. Just don't like the way he is handling the whole situation at this point in time.

Really, so you think that Wade Phillips was able to dictate and control when the Bucs wanted to hire a new HC?

bckey
01-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Really, so you think that Wade Phillips was able to dictate and control when the Bucs wanted to hire a new HC?

Dude drop it already.

jjjezebel
01-09-2012, 04:12 PM
With all the same points being argued over and over, it's obvious no one is going to cede their opinion...I think this thread has made it into the :deadhorse category.

Double Barrel
01-09-2012, 04:15 PM
I'm as disappointed as the next guy, and the timing of it stinks. It's definitely something that fans of winning teams have to get used to, though. This really is business as usual in the NFL, and we Texans fans have not been exposed to it because...well, for the obvious reasons that our team has traditionally sucked.

I can't talk trash about Wade, though. Yeah, I had hoped for a so-called "hometown discount" or whatever, and was really hoping that he was done being a head coach and would just be content to bring a championship to Houston. But those are my feelings projecting on to a man that none of us knows on a personal level.

But I cannot dog the guy and praise him at the same time. Even if it's just one season, it's been awesome and certainly something that has set this franchise on a new course. For 9 freakin' seasons we have had to endure perpetual mediocrity. But now we are not only looking at a division winner and playoff team, but a WINNING playoff team. Those are so many positives that I refuse to disrespect Wade because I'm disappointed in the potential outcome of things.

Like Herv mentioned awhile back, it's this kind of season that can often put teams on the right path. So even if it's just a year, it's been fantastic, and it's not even over, yet!

Keep your chins up, Texans fans! Our team is still playing games in JANUARY!!! :texflag:

SAMURAITEXAN
01-09-2012, 04:38 PM
My thoughts on Wade as a head coach are mixed. When he got the Dallas job, I didn't understand the disapproval by the fans. Wade had always been a winner, couldn't win in the play-offs, but he was a winner. He even got Dallas their only post-season win in the last decade.

But the way his defense laid down on him, makes me wonder how is he at all the other things a head coach has to be good at... like "team building," media management, etc.....

That was just one real down year for him as HC. With any team in any given year, there are always some team has unexpected down year due to talents, coaching, and etc. Should he be HC again, he needs to go to the team that he can grow with. TB just may be a good fit for him as they may be looking to rebuild in a longer term than past teams that he worked as HC. But this is just my opinion. What I am saying is that he does deserves an another shot to be HC again and that is all I am saying.

Texanfan4ever
01-09-2012, 04:58 PM
He is doing the job he has been paid to do and will continue to carry out his current duties. To say he shouldnt be even be thinking about another job just shows you dont understand business in general and certainly not how the NFL works. It is far from disrespectful or wrong.
With all due respect, I am not stupid!
I know how business works and pretty much how the NFL works. If u don't believe the timing is bad, that is fine! I disagree with you. I can do that! I'm not on this island alone! I don't like the way it's been handled or the way he talked about it! Obviously he can look for another job, he only has a years contract! Anything that takes his mind off our game this week, is bad timing! Interviewing for a job can do that! Just my opinion!

False Start
01-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Damn, with the age of all the candidates I think they are looking for someone is an actual ex Bucaneer, lol. :pirate:

steelbtexan
01-09-2012, 05:55 PM
I just want to say thanks Wade for dragging this organization out of mediocrity.

If you get the TB job I will become a fan of TB as my 2nd team.

Of course selfishly I hope you bomb the interview. Although I doubt that happens.

If you dont get the TB job it will only be because of your age. You're the best candidate for the job.

ChampionTexan
01-09-2012, 05:57 PM
If you dont get the TB job it will only be because of your age. You're the best candidate for the job.

So you mean if Wade loses out to Marty Schottenheimer, it will be because he is too young and inexperienced?:kitten:

TexanSam
01-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Of course selfishly I hope you bomb the interview. Although I doubt that happens.

Pour a laxative in his coffee Friday morning! Give him an extra strong irish coffee instead of a regular one! Lock him in his office! Plant a cell phone on him and make it go off a dozen times in the interview! I hope somebody in the Texans front office reads this.

bckey
01-09-2012, 06:39 PM
A source told ESPN.com senior NFL writer John Clayton that Phillips' deal is worth $2.1 million over three years. The contract makes Phillips the highest-paid defensive coordinator in the NFL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5992848

Just wanted to post this link to a couple of stories of when Wade was first hired with the Texans

"I don't think they could've picked a better guy," Bum Phillips said in a phone interview on Wednesday night. "And I don't think Wade could've picked a better job to come to. He's going to get to work with a guy who he knows and respects. That, to me, makes all the difference in the world. It's a great deal for Wade and a great deal for Houston."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20110105-texans-hire-wade-phillips-cowboys-save-money-but-might-lose-coaches.ece

Kimmy
01-09-2012, 09:42 PM
El Tejano TOTALLY got this right! I'm so glad I was wrong. I really hope he stays :)

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79047

ArlingtonTexan
01-09-2012, 09:49 PM
BTW, Tampa Bay is doing the classic over swinging back the other way in its search. They had the youngest coach in the NFL and after his flame out, they are going all the way to the other extreme of interviewing the oldest coaches they can find.

Hey, dudes if you just stop reacting and conduct a full and through search, you might find an actual good coach...just saying.

Lucky
01-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Marty Shottenheimer is 68 years old and the Bucs are going to interview him.
Dick Vermeil (75) must be getting a call from the Bucs soon. What's Marv Levy (86) up to lately?

The Tampa situation is worse than the Dallas position & look how that turned out. It's one thing to be a fool its another to be an old fool :cowboy1:
Tampa is a rudderless pirate ship. Wade should demand the head Coach/GM jobs. Like his dad had with the Oilers. Someone has to assume control of this shipwreck. Without control, this job would be a sinkhole.

If Wade stays, he needs to get a big raise. He's making $700k/year while Kubiak is pulling $3 mil. Gary should make more, he's the head coach. But not 4X Wade. Phillips should make close to $2 mil a season. Maybe that would cool his heels from looking for any head coaching job. And Tampa could be one of the worst, right now.

SAMURAITEXAN
01-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Dick Vermeil (75) must be getting a call from the Bucs soon. What's Marv Levy (86) up to lately?

Tampa is a rudderless pirate ship. Wade should demand the head Coach/GM jobs. Like his dad had with the Oilers. Someone has to assume control of this shipwreck. Without control, this job would be a sinkhole.

If Wade stays, he needs to get a big raise. He's making $700k/year while Kubiak is pulling $3 mil. Gary should make more, he's the head coach. But not 4X Wade. Phillips should make close to $2 mil a season. Maybe that would cool his heels from looking for any head coaching job. And Tampa could be one of the worst, right now.

Is 700k/year is an average NFL DC makes? Seems to me too little if Kubiak is making 3m/year. When you think about how much of impact Wade made to our D, he should be making more than current $$$.

Go Texans!!!

CretorFrigg
01-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Is 700k/year is an average NFL DC makes? Seems to me too little if Kubiak is making 3m/year. When you think about how much of impact Wade made to our D, he should be making more than current $$$.

Go Texans!!!

Not sure where I read it, but I think Wade is the highest paid DC in the NFL.

bckey
01-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Not sure where I read it, but I think Wade is the highest paid DC in the NFL.

I posted a link about 6 posts up. But it does seem like too little compared to Kubiak.

ArlingtonTexan
01-09-2012, 11:36 PM
A source told ESPN.com senior NFL writer John Clayton that Phillips' deal is worth $2.1 million over three years. The contract makes Phillips the highest-paid defensive coordinator in the NFL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5992848

Just wanted to post this link to a couple of stories of when Wade was first hired with the Texans

"I don't think they could've picked a better guy," Bum Phillips said in a phone interview on Wednesday night. "And I don't think Wade could've picked a better job to come to. He's going to get to work with a guy who he knows and respects. That, to me, makes all the difference in the world. It's a great deal for Wade and a great deal for Houston."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20110105-texans-hire-wade-phillips-cowboys-save-money-but-might-lose-coaches.ece

I am about 95% sure that Wade's salary should be 2.1 million per season becaue I know there are plenty of million plus asistants in the league.

Lucky
01-09-2012, 11:44 PM
I am about 95% sure that Wade's salary should be 2.1 million per season becaue I know there are plenty of million plus asistants in the league.
That makes sense, because I thought Gregg Williams (Saints DC) made $2 million.

SAMURAITEXAN
01-09-2012, 11:48 PM

So, he is making 95% sure that 2.1m/year instead of 700k/year? If this is the case, not much of $$$ issue or is there? Kubiak's 3m/year is not really high for HC average right? If Kubiak's salary is on lower side and should Texans continue to win in the post season, Texans' FO need to reconstruct coaches salary. And, send extra money to me to visit Houston. lol

Go Texans!!!

bckey
01-09-2012, 11:58 PM

According to this article he isn't.

A Closer Look

In spite of the million-dollar salaries of former high-profile NFL defensive coordinators, NFL defensive coordinators typically earn six-figure salaries. As of September 2011, Houston Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips is the highest-paid defensive coordinator earning approximately $700,000 yearly under a three-year, $2.1 million deal.

http://www.ehow.com/info_12036363_average-salary-nfl-defensive-coordinator.html

2012Champs
01-10-2012, 09:13 AM
I know how business works and pretty much how the NFL works. If u don't believe the timing is bad, that is fine! I disagree with you. I can do that! I'm not on this island alone! I don't like the way it's been handled or the way he talked about it! Obviously he can look for another job, he only has a years contract! Anything that takes his mind off our game this week, is bad timing! Interviewing for a job can do that! Just my opinion!

With all due respect I didnt say you were stupid. You say you understand business and how the NFL runs but there is some disconnect between that statement and you being upset on how this is playing out. If you understood the business you wouldnt be upset about it.

ArlingtonTexan
01-10-2012, 09:46 AM
According to this article he isn't.

A Closer Look

In spite of the million-dollar salaries of former high-profile NFL defensive coordinators, NFL defensive coordinators typically earn six-figure salaries. As of September 2011, Houston Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips is the highest-paid defensive coordinator earning approximately $700,000 yearly under a three-year, $2.1 million deal.

http://www.ehow.com/info_12036363_average-salary-nfl-defensive-coordinator.html

The same articles says that average d-coordinator salary is 850,000. I am comfortable saying e-how is wrong.

Edit: Los Angles times article from 2005

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/feb/10/sports/sp-chow10

The top D-coordinator made 1.7 million then..Do you really think that top guy makes 1 million less in 2012?

ChampionTexan
01-10-2012, 10:11 AM
The same articles says that average d-coordinator salary is 850,000. I am comfortable saying e-how is wrong.

Something else that could be making this a little tough to get a handle on is the fact that Wade's contract with the Cowboys ran through the 2011 season, and from what I could find reportedly paid him $3.7 Million for the final year (or at least that's the number that seems to have been reported the most).

Typically, coaching contracts in the NFL work differently than players contracts, and they either continue to be paid after being fired, or reach a buyout in regard to any remaining amount. This means that unless there was something unusual about Wade's contract in Dallas, it's very possible Jerry Jones is paying the difference between Wade's HC salary in Dallas and whatever his Texans salary is for 2011. It also means that (assuming the $3.7 Milliion is correct) the Texans could have paid Wade a 2011 salary that ranged anywhere from $0 to $3.7 Million, and Wade's total coaching income for the year would be unaffected.

ArlingtonTexan
01-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Something else that could be making this a little tough to get a handle on is the fact that Wade's contract with the Cowboys ran through the 2011 season, and from what I could find reportedly paid him $3.7 Million for the final year (or at least that's the number that seems to have been reported the most).

Typically, coaching contracts in the NFL work differently than players contracts, and they either continue to be paid after being fired, or reach a buyout in regard to any remaining amount. This means that unless there was something very unusual about Wade's contract in Dallas, it's very possible Jerry Jones is paying the difference between Wade's HC salary in Dallas and whatever his Texans salary is for 2011. It also means that (assuming the $3.7 Milliion is correct) the Texans could have paid Wade a 2011 salary that ranged anywhere from $0 to $3.7 Million, and Wade's total coaching income for the year would be unaffected.

Yes, this I understand. Even if Wade's 2011 Texans salary were zero, the salary would be 2.1 for 2 years or still well below market value.

Hardcore Texan
01-10-2012, 11:00 AM
So when is the interview?

infantrycak
01-10-2012, 11:03 AM
So when is the interview?

Friday after the conclusion of the Texans' training day.

Double Barrel
01-10-2012, 11:46 AM

Edit: Los Angles times article from 2005

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/feb/10/sports/sp-chow10

The top D-coordinator made 1.7 million then..Do you really think that top guy makes 1 million less in 2012?

It's very strange, because this ESPN article (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5992848) confirms the $2.1 million figure over three years:

CloakNNNdagger
01-10-2012, 12:39 PM
This is a perspective from the Tampa sports media:

http://www.tampabay.com/newname/st-petersburg-times-becomes-tampa-bay-times/images/Reflective_logo_No_Tagline.png

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/headers/bucs-beat.gif

JANUARY 09, 2012
Wade Phillips' defense not a great fit for Bucs (http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/content/wade-phillips-defense-not-great-fit-bucs)

The Bucs are expected to discuss their open head-coaching post this week with former Cowboys coach and current Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips.

It's not shocking that Tampa Bay would take an interest in Phillips given his experience as a head coach -- something the Bucs are looking for -- and his expertise on defense.

But it's his defensive philosophy that makes this an odd match. Phillips' system, which has helped overhaul Houston's defense, is a 3-4 defense that relies on big outside (stand-up) linebackers rushing off the edges. It can work well in the right situations, but Tampa Bay does not seem the ideal place to run it.

The Bucs' acquired and drafted their defensive personnel to run a 4-3, Tampa 2-style system -- the same one the Bucs have run since the late 1990s under Tony Dungy and Monte Kiffin. Recently-fired head coach Raheem Morris added numerous elements and coverages to the defense after taking over in 2009, but the scheme still is based on the same concepts up front: A one-gap, penetrating attack with four down linemen.

Can you envision Adrian Clayborn playing as a stand-up outside linebacker in a 3-4, at times dropping into coverage? Would Gerald McCoy succeed as a 3-4 defensive end when most in the NFL views him as a one-gap penetrator? These are the kinds of questions the Bucs would face when considering Phillips.

In Phillips' recent coaching stops -- in San Diego, Dallas and Houston -- he's run 3-4 defenses. It should also be pointed out that each of those defenses, including this year's with the Texans, have been pretty solid. Phillips has a well-earned reputation as someone who can get the best out of defenses, and maybe that would be true in Tampa Bay, too. And there's nothing that says the Bucs can't change their scheme and run a 3-4, something that Houston did after hiring Phillips before this season. There's also no requirement that the Bucs change to a 3-4 just because they hire Phillips, though it seems unlikely they would not.

Phillips is certainly qualified with his decades of coaching experience at both the pro and college level. But just looking at this hypothetically, it's right to wonder whether his defense would be the right fit for the Buccaneers.

We'll soon find out how much that affects his chances of landing this job.

JANUARY 09, 2012
Marty Schottenheimer to interview with Bucs Tuesday (http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/content/marty-schottenheimer-interview-bucs-tuesday)

It's going to be a busy week of interviews for the Bucs as they continue to search for a new head coach.

Former Vikings head coach Brad Childress, 55, is meeting with the Bucs today. Despite reports that Childress could be considered for a position of offensive coordinator, the Times confirmed he is interviewing for Tampa Bay's head coaching job.

Marty Schottenheimer, 68, is scheduled to meet with the Bucs owners and general manager Mark Dominik on Tuesday, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen. Schottenheimer served as the head coach and general manager of the United Football League's Virginia Destroyers this year and went 3-1 during an abbreviated season. He was fired in 2007 after leading the San Diego Chargers to a 14-2 record and suffering a loss in the second round of the playoffs.

Houston Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, 64, is scheduled to interview with the Bucs in Houston Friday. The Texans play in the AFC Divisional playoff in Baltimore on Sunday.

Phillips has done a remarkable job in his first season with the Texans, taking them from 30th in the NFL in total defense to second (281 yards per game). The Texans have already set a single-season record for sacks (41) and rank 10th in takeaways (26).

Phillips is 82-59 as an NFL head coach with the Broncos, Bills, Cowboys, and Saints (interim).

Tampa Bay already has interviewed former Green Bay Packers and Texas A&M head coach Mike Sherman, 57, last Wednesday in Texas. Titans defensive coordinator Jerry Gray, 49, met with the Bucs in Houston last week. Gray has no previous head coaching experience.

Childress coached the Vikings from 2006-10, winning two NFC North titles. His overall record was 39-35 before he was fired after a 3-7 start in 2010.
In 2009, the Vikings went 12-4 and reached the NFC Championship game before losing to the eventual Super Bowl champion Saints.

Double Barrel
01-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Interviewing Wade this week is all on the Bucs. They established the pace and schedule, so it's their fault that Wade has to take any amount of time away from preparing for the Ravens.

I won't dog Wade for this one, but I will certainly never root for the Bucs. Screw them. Hope the Saints continue to dominate them for many years.

Señor Stan
01-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Hopefully, like a lot of *ahem* older gentlemen, he will go on and on and on about his recent surgery.

Rey
01-10-2012, 03:55 PM
This is a perspective from the Tampa sports media:

http://www.tampabay.com/newname/st-petersburg-times-becomes-tampa-bay-times/images/Reflective_logo_No_Tagline.png

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/headers/bucs-beat.gif

JANUARY 09, 2012
Wade Phillips' defense not a great fit for Bucs (http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/content/wade-phillips-defense-not-great-fit-bucs)

JANUARY 09, 2012
Marty Schottenheimer to interview with Bucs Tuesday (http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/content/marty-schottenheimer-interview-bucs-tuesday)

Sounds like a lot of the same things folks were saying about our defense before wade came...

Kinda funny because you can replace some of those names and you'd see the exact same comments here pre-wade...

Maybe one of them will do their research and see that Wade adjust his scheme to his personnel...

ArlingtonTexan
01-10-2012, 04:23 PM
It's very strange, because this ESPN article (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5992848) confirms the $2.1 million figure over three years:

I am fine with being wrong, but my guess is -ehow copied from ESPN, who got it wrong first. I refuse to believe Marvin Lewis was making 1 million 10 years ago and the highest paid is $700,000 now.

ArlingtonTexan
01-10-2012, 04:34 PM
I am fine with being wrong, but my guess is -ehow copied from ESPN, who got it wrong first. I refuse to believe Marvin Lewis was making 1 million 10 years ago and the highest paid is $700,000 now.

I think another ESPN article provides the information needed to sort of close this rabbit trail. Thank Dom Capers for something

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3843754

"Capers spent the past year as a special assistant and secondary coach of the New England Patriots. He is still owed $2.6 million by the Dolphins for the 2009 season; he was hired by Miami in 2006 and was defensive coordinator in 2007.

While the Packers are getting an undisclosed discounted salary for this year, a source said the team will pay Capers in excess of $2 million for 2010"

Double Barrel
01-10-2012, 04:49 PM

I believe what you're saying. It is logical that the $2.1 million figure is annual based upon the contracts with with DCs around the league.

Lucky
01-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Maybe one of them will do their research and see that Wade adjust his scheme to his personnel...
Wade had a ton of talent to work with (Mario, Cush, Barwin, Smith), dibs on any free agency $$$ spent (Joseph, Manning), and the lions share of draft choices (the top 5 selections, including Watt & Reed). The decision making power he yielded in in regards to player allocation and acquisition is really unprecedented for a defensive coordinator. I don't think Wade had close to that power in Dallas as a head coach.

Would Wade have the ability to make all of these calls in Tampa? I don't know. Even if he does, I wouldn't expect an instant makeover that we saw here. Everything Phillips touched seemed to turn to gold. I was quietly optimistic that he could turn this defense into a top 10-15 defense (and further improvement in 2012 with a full offseason). But from the #30 to the #2 defense in the league? Without the benefit of an offseason to install the defense? That's insane. Duplication can't reasonably be expected by Tampa or any other franchise that would bring Wade in as head coach. Not to mention, as head coach Wade would be expected to oversee the entire organization and not just the defense. Anyone interviewing Phillips should understand that while he is a premier defensive coach, the Texans defensive turnaround had a lightning-in-a-bottle element to it.

Texecutioner
01-10-2012, 07:53 PM

Bad timing is what it is. But I don't know how many times this can be explained to you that teams are allowed to interview candidates right at this point in time in the season and they do this stuff every year. Kubiak did the same thing as an OC when he was still coaching with Denver when they were in the post season. Did you have a fit about how bad the timing was then when it involved the Texans getting a new HC? Probably not.

GP
01-10-2012, 11:34 PM
Wade had a ton of talent to work with (Mario, Cush, Barwin, Smith), dibs on any free agency $$$ spent (Joseph, Manning), and the lions share of draft choices (the top 5 selections, including Watt & Reed). The decision making power he yielded in in regards to player allocation and acquisition is really unprecedented for a defensive coordinator. I don't think Wade had close to that power in Dallas as a head coach.

Would Wade have the ability to make all of these calls in Tampa? I don't know. Even if he does, I wouldn't expect an instant makeover that we saw here. Everything Phillips touched seemed to turn to gold. I was quietly optimistic that he could turn this defense into a top 10-15 defense (and further improvement in 2012 with a full offseason). But from the #30 to the #2 defense in the league? Without the benefit of an offseason to install the defense? That's insane. Duplication can't reasonably be expected by Tampa or any other franchise that would bring Wade in as head coach. Not to mention, as head coach Wade would be expected to oversee the entire organization and not just the defense. Anyone interviewing Phillips should understand that while he is a premier defensive coach, the Texans defensive turnaround had a lightning-in-a-bottle element to it.

If they have the reported $55 million in cap space, they could let Wade shop for some groceries...cut or move or demote their current players that don't fit the scheme...the Bucs might throw all their eggs into the Wade Phillips basket and gamble that the Wade they're getting is the Houston Wade, not the Dallas Wade.

I don't think his experience with us was lightning in a bottle. He was given full control of the defense and he and Rick Smith made hay with that privilege. The draft picks, the free agent signings, etc.

There's nothing here, IMO, that says "All signs point to Wade NOT being the Bucs coach since they don't have enough talent for him to start with."

It's plausible that they go after him because of his record of turning defenses around, with the hopes that they can get an o-coord to become their version of Kubiak. It would be the Houston process in reverse.

Dutchrudder
01-11-2012, 01:06 AM
Since the subject of Coordinator salaries has come up, here is the Jet's OC's salary:

Brian Schottenheimer interviewed last Friday for the job, and the Jets were hoping he'd get it so they wouldn't have to pay any of the $3.2 million (two years) remaining on his contract. Chances are, he reached a settlement with the Jets.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7449066/brian-schottenheimer-new-york-jet-offensive-coordinator

1.6 million a year for an OC. That's pricey for that production. Can't believe they gave that guy an extension this year.

CloakNNNdagger
01-11-2012, 07:46 AM
If they have the reported $55 million in cap space, they could let Wade shop for some groceries...cut or move or demote their current players that don't fit the scheme...the Bucs might throw all their eggs into the Wade Phillips basket and gamble that the Wade they're getting is the Houston Wade, not the Dallas Wade.

I don't think his experience with us was lightning in a bottle. He was given full control of the defense and he and Rick Smith made hay with that privilege. The draft picks, the free agent signings, etc.

There's nothing here, IMO, that says "All signs point to Wade NOT being the Bucs coach since they don't have enough talent for him to start with."

It's plausible that they go after him because of his record of turning defenses around, with the hopes that they can get an o-coord to become their version of Kubiak. It would be the Houston process in reverse.

History does not support the Bucs all of a sudden shelling out a grocery list. The salary cap floor is a joke and will let the Bucs continue to keep their money tightly socked away. With the team the way they are now....and without an OK for a heck of a "grocery list," Wade would need a psychiatric check to even entertain the job. His final HC legacy would forever be stamped in concrete to mirror and affirm memories of his embarassing Cowboys experience.

cuppacoffee
01-11-2012, 08:01 AM
History does not support the Bucs all of a sudden shelling out a grocery list. The salary cap floor is a joke and will let the Bucs continue to keep their money tightly socked away. With the team the way they are now....and without an OK for a heck of a "grocery list," Wade would need a psychiatric check to even entertain the job. His final HC legacy would forever be stamped in concrete to mirror and affirm memories of his embarassing Cowboys experience.

I'd sell my legacy for a HC's salary.

:coffee:

Blake
01-11-2012, 08:07 AM
Here is my take. I am fine with Wade looking for another HC job. While I want to keep him, you cant force people to ignore opportunities. See "Horrible Bosses".

On the other hand I am quite annoyed that the Buc's cant respect our playoff run. You cant wait, 1, 2, 3 more weeks to speak with Wade? You have to ****** with our **** right now? You are the 4-12 Bucs. I think you can wait another week or 3.

CloakNNNdagger
01-11-2012, 09:11 AM
I'd sell my legacy for a HC's salary.

Somehow, I don't think that is Wade's primary motivation. I believe he bemoans the hit that his reputation has taken with his stint as Cowboys HC. I believe it is important to him, for whatever reason, to prove that he is capable of running the whole show and is not another Dom Capers type (although most would see nothing wrong with being one the NFL's top defensive masterminds).

Wade Phillips: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Head Coaching Candidate (http://www.bucsnation.com/2012/1/11/2698132/wade-phillips-tampa-bay-buccaneers-head-coaching-candidate)

Wade Phillips will interview for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' head coaching position on Friday, which means we get to talk about the possibility of Wade Phillips as a head coach. Phillips is a very hot name in coaching land right now because he's turned around the Houston Texans' defense quickly and efficiently, despite losing his best player to injury early in the season. Wade Phillips has consistently put out great defenses, and that's certainly a good thing. He has also been successful as a head coach, at least in the regular season, with a career 82-59 record and two division titles in 9 years.

Of course, there's some reason to criticize Wade Phillips too. He's had five head coaching opportunities in total, two of them as interim coach, and he has had success - but it hasn't been overwhelming. There are questions about the way he runs teams and whether he can control a roster and run a tight ship - something the Buccaneers are supposedly looking for after Raheem Morris.

Wade Phillips has a terrific track record as a defensive coordinator, but being a good coordinator and being a good head coach are two different things. Can he translate his success as a coordinator into playoff wins and even a Super Bowl? He hasn't done that so far.

Previous Experience

Graduate assistant, University of Houston, 1969
Defensive Coordinator, West Orange-Stark High School, 1970-1972
Linebackers Coach, Oklahoma State University, 1973-1974
Defensive Line Coach, University of Kansas, 1975
Defensive Line Coach, Houston Oilers, 1976-1980
Defensive Coordinator, New Orleans Saints, 1981-1985
Interim Head Coach, New Orleans Saints, 1985
Defensive Coordinator, Philadelphia Eagles, 1986-1988
Defensive Coordinator, Denver Broncos, 1989-1992
Head Coach, Denver Broncos, 1993-1994
Defensive Coordinator, Buffalo Bills, 1995-1997
Head Coach, Buffalo Bills, 1998-2000
Defensive Coordinator, Atlanta Falcons, 2002-2003
Interim Head Coach, Atlanta Falcons, 2003
Defensive Coordinators, San Diego Chargers, 2004-2006
Head Coach, Dallas Cowboys, 2007-2010
Defensive Coordinator, Houston Texans, 2011

Star-divide

Why Wade Phillips should be the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Head Coach:

He's an experienced winner
Experience seems to be the number one criterium for a head coach right now, and Wade Phillips certainly has it. He's not Marty Schottenheimer, but then no one is. But he has an 82-59 regular season record and a 1-5 record in the playoff. He has consistently won games (though not in the playoffs), and he's done so with multiple teams. He has experience, he knows what it takes to win, and he's done it before. That's what the Bucs are looking for, judging by the guys they're bringing in.

He can turn around a defense and do it quickly
Whatever doubts you have about Wade Phillips' abilities as a head coach, there should be no doubts whatsoever about his abilities as a defensive coordinator. He has done well as a coordinator in every spot he's coached, and has managed to build very good defenses in very short times. Yes, he runs a 3-4 defense - but it's a one-gap 3-4 defense that would be fairly easy to transition to for the Bucs' current personnel.

He will put together a good staff
Wade Phillips knows people. Lots and lots of people. He's been in the league forever and then some, and he's played for everyone and their mother. It's ridiculous how many teams this guy has coached for, but he's been exposed to anyone and everyone. That means one thing: he has the connections to put together a good coaching staff, and that's key to succeeding in the NFL.

Why Wade Phillips should not be Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Head Coach

Discipline?
Wade Phillips has never been known as a guy who can instill a sense of discipline into a team. In fact, when he was fired in Dallas the main complaint was that he seemed to have lost the team and couldn't instill discipline. Sloppy play and penalties characterized that 2010 Cowboys team. With the Bucs coming off a season marred by sloppy play, penalties and a team that seemed lost, does a coach who suffered from those same problems in his previous job work?

Playoffs?! We talking about playoffs!?
As with Marty Schottenheimer, Wade Phillips has not had success in the playoffs. In fact, he's only won one playoff game in his career. That's not very good. He's also been fired in three different cities, and hasn't ever lasted more than four years with one team as a head coach. Is this a concern for the Bucs? Well, right now a winning season would be nice regardless of any playoff performance, and Phillips has certainly shown he can deliver that.

Offense?
The Bucs want to build their team around Josh Freeman. They want to find the right guys to play with him, and the right coach to develop him. Hiring a defensive-minded head coach wouldn't really work with that objective. Can Wade Phillips help develop Josh Freeman, and can he bring in the right assistant coaches for Freeman to work with?

DX-TEX
01-11-2012, 11:55 AM
@SI_JimTrotter (Jim Trotter):
Marty has already reached out to a couple of people about the OC job were he to land in TB. Neither is named Brian.

Pretty sure Schottenheimer is getting the job.

TexansBull
01-11-2012, 01:03 PM
I hope this thread title doesn't change to "Wade to interview for Oakland/Raiders job." That would suck. I hope this thread dies Saturday in a ball of flame and doesn't change its title because Wade says he is staying. And he is for real. :pissed:

BeerTastesLikeVictory
01-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Wade Phillips just doesn't get it
I have criticized Wade Phillips for many coaching foibles. Rightly so, I must add. He is, how do I say this, not a strong head coach.

Laziness is not one of his flaws.

I have no doubt that he has spent a good hunk of every day since Saturday with film of Joe Flacco and Ray Rice playing on a loop, trying to figure out how to pressure and blitz and harass Baltimore's offense enough to give the Houston Texans a fighting chance in Sunday's playoff game. He undoubtedly, by this point, has a plan — a mix of blitzes and zone coverages and previously unseen wrinkles.

Phillips does this exceptionally well, this defensive coordination, as he proved once again in Houston.

Barely a year after being booted from head coaching duties in Dallas in disgrace after his team gutlessly quit on what frankly had been a gutless four years, he is the toast of Houston.

This is where his daddy coached and so they were bound to love him. He made them love him more by transforming a Texans defense that ranked 30th in 2010 into one of the best in the NFL this season. They won a playoff game, finally, in large part thanks to his defensive abilities. His side of the ball held things together as injuries forced them to start a rookie quarterback.

So what does it say that Houston is wary of him right now? What does it say that they do not think he has done everything to prepare the Texans?

It says that Wade has not learned, and never will. Continued....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Houston-Texans-Wade-Phillips-job-search-shows-he-doesnt-get-it-011212

Yes, it's not entirely correct since it says he is going to interview IN Tampa, but here is some media perspective. Can't say I completely disagree.

srrono
01-12-2012, 07:20 PM
AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Texans DC Wade Phillips, who was scheduled to interview for the Buccaneers HC job Friday, told Tampa Bayt hat he was pulling out of process

TheMatrix31
01-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Oh hell yeah.

ThaShark316
01-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Texans DC Wade Phillips, who was scheduled to interview for the Buccaneers HC job Friday, told Tampa Bayt hat he was pulling out of process

http://gotgifs.com/gifs/1272588552.gif

thunderkyss
01-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Houston-Texans-Wade-Phillips-job-search-shows-he-doesnt-get-it (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Houston-Texans-Wade-Phillips-job-search-shows-he-doesnt-get-it-011212)

I don't hold nothing against any man wanting to better himself. But for a guy who wants to be a head coach, he's got to know not to talk about being a head coach when you're making a play-off run.

I don't fault him for the timing of the interview, he can't really control that. But when a reporter asked him way back, he should have been mum in the media.

Let his agent handle all that business stuff, it didn't need to be in the media. I bet, it was the first time the team heard about it, the players... I bet the first time they heard about Wade wanting to be a head coach was in the media........

so wrong.

Well good for him.

Now what do y'all think about dropping Kubiak (or promoting him to a silent position) promoting Wade to HC & hiring Hugh Jackson to run the offense?

amazing80
01-12-2012, 07:41 PM
GREAT news, BUT there are rumors out there that he wants the Raiders job.....FML hope not

Texan_Bill
01-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Just caught something retweeted by Adam Clanton from Adam Scheffler:

@adamclanton RT @adamschefter: #Texans DC Wade Phillips, scheduled to interview for Bucs HC job Fri, told Tampa Bay that he was pulling out of process

Me:

CustomJerseyDouche @Texan_Bill @adamclanton @adamschefter *Texan_Bill* does a "happy dance*

:texanbill:

Ruinondd
01-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Yay Wade! Before this thread I didn't even know the glazer family owned the bucs. /throwup. One of the 2 monopolies in the liquor business, so many times did I have that company try to charge for crap they never shipped. grrrr. /personal rant over

If we end up losing Wade as HC somewhere let it never be to Them. At least ditch us for a team that will try to win :)

CloakNNNdagger
01-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Around 2:30 this afternoon, I posted this in the "LIVE: Texans Thursday After Practice" thread:

Somehow Wade didn't look like he wanted to be there. No smile. No humor. Flat affect. Almost looked like someone who was angered prior to going on camera.

But maybe I'm the only one that came away with that impression.

Something evidently went down that left Wade in a not so great mood........probably the same thing that led or forced him to take his name out of the hat.

The Cush
01-12-2012, 07:49 PM
GREAT news, BUT there are rumors out there that he wants the Raiders job.....FML hope not

I saw another person saying this on CF...where are you guys seeing/hearing this rumor?

ThaShark316
01-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Around 2:30 this afternoon, I posted this in the "LIVE: Texans Thursday After Practice" thread:

Something evidently went down that left Wade in a not so great mood........probably the same thing that led or forced him to take his name out of the hat.

Tampa having their guy might have something to do with that. Basically telling Wade "Nah, we're good". Tough on him I'm sure, since he wants to coach again.

amazing80
01-12-2012, 07:55 PM
I saw another person saying this on CF...where are you guys seeing/hearing this rumor?

Radio, 790, co-host said it

Marcus
01-12-2012, 07:55 PM

Could it be that he got some bad news from his doctors? :shrug:

SAMURAITEXAN
01-12-2012, 07:57 PM

Doc, did you happen to write the TV show "Lie to me" or "Mentalist"? Nice catch anyway.

Go Texans!!!

Texan_Bill
01-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Really??

Just caught something retweeted by Adam Clanton from Adam Scheffler:

Me:
CustomJerseyDouche @Texan_Bill @adamclanton @adamschefter *Texan_Bill* does a "happy dance*

:texanbill:

I consider Adam Scheffler pretty credible... But that's me! :texanbill:

amazing80
01-12-2012, 07:59 PM

MarkBermanFox26 Mark Berman
Wade Phillips confirms he will not interview with Tampa because he wants to be with the Texans and does not want to be a distraction.

Maybe his daddy beat that ass lol :vincepalm:

TexanSam
01-12-2012, 08:03 PM

That was my first thought as well. Maybe Tampa did already make up their mind on somebody, but I doubt they wouldn't go through with other interviews.

SheTexan
01-12-2012, 08:06 PM

I'm one that thinks there's more to his medical condition than meets the public eye! Truthfully, it's none of our business! But, every interview I've listened to he sounds weak and out of breath. He just does not look well TO ME!! JMO!

Texan_Bill
01-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Wade Phillips confirms he will not interview with Tampa because he wants to be with the Texans and does not want to be a distraction.

Beat me to it... BUT, and I mean a HUGE Butt ((and I cannot lie, all you other brothers (DREAD-HEAD) can not deny))...... Sorry about the digression, "Daddy" didn't "beat that ass", but I do think "Daddy" had a lot to do with him turning the interview down....

Now, all that said, maybe the Bucs decided that they wanted to go a different direction and want to entertain a more offensive minded coach that can cultivate Josh Freeman. (Just a thought).

The Cush
01-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Really??

I consider Adam Scheffler pretty credible... But that's me! :texanbill:

He is credible. The rumor I was referring to is this new one that Wade wants the Oakland head coaching job

Texan_Bill
01-12-2012, 08:11 PM

I am currently poking pins in a voodoo doll that looks very much like you!!! :voodoo:

SAMURAITEXAN
01-12-2012, 08:15 PM

Just watch how Wade walks during practice. If he is limping, Bum did whip his behind LOL

Wonderful to know Wade is staying.

Go Wade!!!
Go Texans!!!

amazing80
01-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Beat me to it... BUT, and I mean a HUGE Butt ((and I cannot lie, all you other brothers (DREAD-HEAD) can not deny))...... Sorry about the digression, "Daddy" didn't "beat that ass", but I do think "Daddy" had a lot to do with him turning the interview down....

Now, all that said, maybe the Bucs decided that they wanted to go a different direction and want to entertain a more offensive minded coach that can cultivate Josh Freeman. (Just a thought).

Maybe, but I doubt thy decided, and if they did I doubt Wade would have said he wanted to stay here, he would have said they hired someone else....I think he just wants to be here

And for him looking like death today, it was 40 degrees and windy the guy is old, he don't like outdoor practices lol, I bet he is in the booth again this week...

CloakNNNdagger
01-12-2012, 08:28 PM

Some of the writers have just taken the list of Tampa interviewees and made them potential candidates for other teams seeking an HC in their writings.

The Raiders have had 6 HCs since 2002.......none of which have produced a winning season. I'm not sure that Wade would enter into such a skewed lose-lose situation, especially since it appears that despite Big Al's death, the way the organization is being run has not changed, nor is it expected to.

In 2010, Kiffin was the lowest paid HC in the NFL..........$1,250,000............and in the next couple of years, the Raiders draft pool will be low with slim pickings for a "grocery list" for an incoming HC.

Buffi2
01-12-2012, 08:31 PM
I'm one that thinks there's more to his medical condition than meets the public eye! Truthfully, it's none of our business! But, every interview I've listened to he sounds weak and out of breath. He just does not look well TO ME!! JMO!
He looks awful to me but then he was talking about being on the field Sunday and I thought my eyes deceived me.

Nothing wrong with my eyes and something was wrong with him after practice today. I hope all is right with the world again tomorrow.

CloakNNNdagger
01-12-2012, 08:51 PM
That LIVE POST PRACTICE CONFERENCE Video (today's) is no longer available on HoustonTexans.com.........

Fili
01-12-2012, 09:04 PM
boom... http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825f1820/article/texans-phillips-pulls-out-as-candidate-to-be-bucs-head-coach?module=HP11_headline_stack

Fili
01-12-2012, 09:05 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825f1820/article/texans-phillips-pulls-out-as-candidate-to-be-bucs-head-coach?module=HP11_headline_stack

steelbtexan
01-12-2012, 09:06 PM
That LIVE POST PRACTICE CONFERENCE Video (today's) is no longer available on HoustonTexans.com.........

Wonder why they pulled the video?

Makes no sense

Playoffs
01-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Texans' Phillips pulls out as candidate to be Bucs' head coach (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825f1820/article/texans-phillips-pulls-out-as-candidate-to-be-bucs-head-coach?module=HP11_headline_stack)
NFL.com
Jan. 12, 2012 at 09:21 p.m.

Houston Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips has pulled his name out of consideration for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' head-coaching job, a source with knowledge of the situation told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora.

Phillips, in his first season with the Texans, was scheduled to meet with the Buccaneers on Friday to discuss the opening created by the firing of Raheem Morris.

While Texans coach Gary Kubiak wasn't concerned about the interview, Phillips told the Houston Chronicle he withdrew from the job "because I want to be here and don't want to be a distraction." The Texans face the Baltimore Ravens Sunday in an AFC Divisional Playoff Game.

The Bucs have interviewed former NFL head coaches Brad Childress and Marty Schottenheimer, as well as Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Jerry Gray and former Green Bay Packers coach Mike Sherman.

La Canfora has reported Sherman is well-positioned as the favorite for the position.

Dawgnme
01-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Was all this a ploy to dig a little deeper into Uncle Bob's pockets? If so, he needs to cut a commission check to McClain... instigating little cuss.

TexanSam
01-12-2012, 09:08 PM
He looks awful to me but then he was talking about being on the field Sunday and I thought my eyes deceived me.

Nothing wrong with my eyes and something was wrong with him after practice today. I hope all is right with the world again tomorrow.

Maybe he's just exhausted. IIRC, they said it takes about 7-10 of rest to recover from the surgery he had. It's probably taking him a lot longer though with the stress of the playoffs these last two weeks.

Texan_Bill
01-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Seriously, Kevin, Chris, Darryll, Greg, et all.... Is there no way you can prevent noobs to quit stating threads?? Seriously, I mean afterall:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88737&page=24

Playoffs
01-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Wade Phillips Chooses Not to Interview With Tampa Bay (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nfl/120112-wade-phillips-chooses-not-to-interview-with-tampa-bay)
Updated: Thursday, 12 Jan 2012, 8:32 PM CST
Published : Thursday, 12 Jan 2012, 8:04 PM CST

MARK BERMAN
Sports Director

HOUSTON - Houston Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips confirmed for FOX 26 Sports he has chosen not to interview Friday with Tampa Bay officials in an effort to become the Buccaneers next head coach.

"I want to be here, that's what it really came down to," Phillips said. "I didn't want to be a distraction whatsoever, whether that was perceived or not.

"People talking about you interviewing on your day off and all that stuff. If you don't do well, always people are going to say that was a distraction. I sure don't want to be a distraction for this team at this time. That was part of it too.

The Texans play the Ravens Sunday in Baltimore in the divisional playoffs.

Phillips acknowledged that withdrawing from consideration for the Buccaneers' job was a hard decision.

"Yea, a little a bit because I certainly have ambitions," Phillips said. "You have to do what's best for you and your family and that's what I feel like I'm doing."

Texans inside linebacker Brian Cushing is thrilled to hear the news that Phillips will continue as his defensive coordinator.

"Extremely happy," said Cushing in a text message to FOX 26 Sports. "Hope to have something going here for a long time."

Cjeremy635
01-12-2012, 09:12 PM
That's fantastic! If I remember correctly, he had only stated that he thought he should be considered for a head coaching position and thought that his resume warranted it. I also know he said he didn't want to be a HC again and that was why he want back to being a DC. Maybe he just wanted the recognition and ego stroke of the offer. Uncle Bob could have also told him he'd pay him more money to stay. Either way, I'm glad he's here. He's a great DC and we would definitely feel that loss.

Texan_Bill
01-12-2012, 09:12 PM
It's stupid ****e like this why I have posted less and less...

HEY! NOOBS, do a search before starting a new thread!!

SMH! FML! :gun:

Cjeremy635
01-12-2012, 09:19 PM
It's stupid ****e like this why I have posted less and less...

HEY! NOOBS, do a search before starting a new thread!!

SMH! FML! :gun:

Bill, you need a drink bro. :barman:

CloakNNNdagger
01-12-2012, 09:58 PM
MODS.........Please merge and change title if you wish.

Ranger Tom
01-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Glad to hear it, no matter how many times it's been said before (this is the first I'm hearing of it).

Also, I thought that Jeff Fisher was on their list?

Speedy
01-12-2012, 10:08 PM
Some of you people get way to anal about this thread posting stuff. Is the other thread not called 'WADE TO INTERVIEW FOR TB"???

Is this one not titled "PHILLIPS PULLS OUT"???

Seems like 2 totally different things to me.

Why don't we just have one thread about all Houston Texans related stuff? No reason to ever start another thread.

Man!! Y'all can come up with some stupid ****!

cland
01-12-2012, 10:13 PM
This is a huge move for the 2012 season. All I can say is: phewww!!!!! Keeping Phillips will pay-off in the draft, in the off-season practice, and in the season/playoffs beyond that. All we need now is to be blessed with a healthy season and we should be favored deep into the playoffs and hopefully get to the final game.

thunderkyss
01-12-2012, 10:23 PM
This is a huge move for the 2012 season. All I can say is: phewww!!!!! Keeping Phillips will pay-off in the draft, in the off-season practice, and in the season/playoffs beyond that. All we need now is to be blessed with a healthy season and we should be favored deep into the playoffs and hopefully get to the final game.

That's not what he said. He still has ambitions, he just dont want to be a distraction right now.

ChampionTexan
01-12-2012, 10:26 PM

I don't know if this is the same footage you were referring to, but if you click the link on the page titled "Texans Daily: Defense on main stage" (the second one down) Wade is at the podium starting at the :48 mark, and talks for about 45 seconds.

LINK (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/LIVE-Texans-Thursday-practice/b2cbacbe-b27a-4f5a-973e-c3bcbd32360f#?id=597bc10c-2b06-48e2-ae1b-c82dfd99e3ba)

SmoochyTX
01-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Some of you people get way to anal about this thread posting stuff. Is the other thread not called 'WADE TO INTERVIEW FOR TB"???

Is this one not titled "PHILLIPS PULLS OUT"???

Seems like 2 totally different things to me.

Why don't we just have one thread about all Houston Texans related stuff? No reason to ever start another thread.

Man!! Y'all can come up with some stupid ****!

It would seem like it's two different threads to me and deservedly so.

BTW, nobody said a word when I created the thread about injuries after the last game and then somebody came along and created a OD thread. LOL.... :kitten:

CloakNNNdagger
01-12-2012, 10:39 PM
I don't know if this is the same footage you were referring to, but if you click the link on the page titled "Texans Daily: Defense on main stage" (the second one down) Wade is at the podium starting at the :48 mark, and talks for about 45 seconds.

LINK (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/LIVE-Texans-Thursday-practice/b2cbacbe-b27a-4f5a-973e-c3bcbd32360f#?id=597bc10c-2b06-48e2-ae1b-c82dfd99e3ba)

That was just a very short snippet of his original much longer presentation.

Playoffs
01-12-2012, 10:43 PM
...BTW, nobody said a word when I created the thread about injuries after the last game and then somebody came along and created a OD thread. LOL.... :kitten:Bastages!!! :pissed:

EVOLVIST
01-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Nah, nah, Wade's fine. It went down like this:

Uncle Bob: "Wade, would you mind stepping into my office for a moment?"

Wade: "Sure, Bob....just on my way to get a diet Fanta."

Uncle Bob: "This will only take a moment. Now, please have a seat, and I'm going to write a number down on this piece of paper and you tell me what you think of it."

Uncle Bob: * Scribbles on the paper and then shows the paper to Wade *

Wade: * Considers what's on the paper, mulls it over, but then shows Uncle Bob a thumb-up, yet he moves it upward, as if to say, "Oh, just a little bit higher." *

Uncle Bob: * Grins and then holds up one finger...wait. Uncle Bob scribbles another number and shows this to Wade, assured of himself. *

Wade: * Raises an eyebrow, smiles himself, and then points where his gallbladder used to be, now frowning. He shrugs and then shows Uncle Bob the same upward thumb motion. *

Uncle Bob: * Undetered, he then scribbles another number on the paper, and with a flourish, dots the end of the number and flips the paper around to show Wade. *

Wade: * Stands up quickly, showing no ill effects of the surgery and grins like the Cheshire variety, his arms wide open: * "Boss! Oh, how I love Texas! Screw Florida, I'm here for good! Wait till I tell daddy!"

Uncle Bob & Wade: * They both embrace and Wade walks out of the room, whistling. *

Uncle Bob: * Sags in his chair, placing his hand on his forehead, as he hears the soft click of a six-shooter's hammer fall back to it's un-cocked position. *

Bum: * Holsters his revolver and walks out from behind Uncle Bob's chair, sitting down in front of Uncle Bob, his cowboy hat pushed to the back of his head. *

Uncle Bob: "There! Are you happy, Bum?"

Bum: "Oh, I reckon, but just one more thing to discuss, pardner."

Uncle Bob: "What!?" What more can I do for him, Bum!"

Bum: "Well, son, you ain't no Bud Adams, boy. I'm here to talk about my future in your organization now. I ain't nobody's ballboy, unlike what's his name. I think it's just about my time to kick the goddamn door in!"

the end (for now).

76Texan
01-12-2012, 10:53 PM
Good one, EVOLVIST.

LMFAO! :spit:

FR0497
01-12-2012, 11:20 PM
Thank you for posting this. I would not have known had this been thrown in with that other 25 page thread that says he is interviewing for the job.

cuppacoffee
01-12-2012, 11:25 PM
This writer(?) did a hatchet job on Wade.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Houston-Texans-Wade-Phillips-job-search-shows-he-doesnt-get-it-011212

Not too informed though, she thought Wade was going to Tampa to interview.

Lots of speculation on this site that Wade looked angry when making the announcement.

Could it be that Tampa has already decided on a coach and told Wade he could announce his withdrawal as a 'save face' move?

ObsiWan
01-12-2012, 11:28 PM

That was just a very short snippet of his original much longer presentation.

I dunno guys...
He just looked kinda tired to me. Given that he'd just come from standing around for 3 hrs or so in cold & windy weather (I want one of those jackets by the way) and not really being fully recovered from having body parts removed....

I just didn't get a sense of anger or irritation from his body language.

But Doc is probably better suited to pick up subtle cues like that than I...

TexansFanatic
01-12-2012, 11:54 PM
All I want to know is whether GP loves Wade again.....