PDA

View Full Version : NOW The Texans have momentum.....

BullNation4Life
01-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Going into Baltimore, winning their first playoff game, Texans have the momentum going into Baltimore...

Damn this is gonna be a long week....

utahmark
01-07-2012, 06:44 PM
From a bengal to a bird then comes a man with a gun.

Texas T
01-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Going into Baltimore, winning their first playoff game, Texans have the momentum going into Baltimore...

I'm afraid it'll be longer than last week-and the games on Sunday too...

SAMURAITEXAN
01-07-2012, 06:56 PM
I'm afraid it'll be longer than last week-and the games on Sunday too...

Yep. But this is good for our players to get an extra day.

Go Texans!!!

Malloy
01-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Happy as can be, this week will be a good one :)

Nawzer
01-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Anything can happen. The Ravens have a great defense, but they are certainly beatable.

fiasco west
01-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Anything can happen. The Ravens have a great defense, but they are certainly beatable.

Certainly.

Ravens have a great defense and so do the Texans. I think thats what EVERYONE (outside of Texan fans) is forgetting. They talked all about Dalton being the more composed and better QB (and he is) yet talked none about Dalton having to play against the better defense.

Nawzer
01-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Certainly.

Ravens have a great defense and so do the Texans. I think thats what EVERYONE (outside of Texan fans) is forgetting. They talked all about Dalton being the more composed and better QB (and he is) yet talked none about Dalton having to play against the better defense.

Flacco didn't look great the last time we played them. They had a long pass play to their rookie receiver, which was a dubious catch by the way, that set them up for the win. I think the Texans will be better prepared and they should give the Ravens a serious challenge. I'm not counting us out now. This is a special and I wouldn't put anything past this team.

fiasco west
01-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Flacco didn't look great the last time we played them. They had a long pass play to their rookie receiver, which was a dubious catch by the way, that set them up for the win. I think the Texans will be better prepared and they should give the Ravens a serious challenge. I'm not counting us out now. This is a special and I wouldn't put anything past this team.

Yep. Ravens got the edge with the big plays.

One thing Andre is good for is at the very least one big play a game. Which could be all the difference with how our defense has played all year long. I think we have a good chance at this one, the one thing about the Ravens that scares me is Ray Rice.

ziggy29
01-07-2012, 07:34 PM

One thing Andre is good for is at the very least one big play a game. Which could be all the difference with how our defense has played all year long. I think we have a good chance at this one, the one thing about the Ravens that scares me is Ray Rice.

If AJ continues to stay healthy, if the defense plays like it can when Wade is on the premises, even in Baltimore we have a decent change. With Phillips in charge of the defense, the Texans aren't that much different than the Ravens -- both would want to run the ball (Foster/Tate or Rice) and both have excellent defenses. It is a game that can easily turn on special teams or turnovers. You'd have to favor the Ravens based on record and for being at home, but it's a game the Texans can win if they execute their game.

Giant Tiger
01-07-2012, 07:39 PM

Bolden had a great game, but he's out this time. We need to control the LOS & get Flacco.

NitroGSXR
01-07-2012, 07:44 PM

Ngata, Suggs, and Lewis and it's Rice that scares you? I can't fall in line with that.

IDEXAN
01-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Man I was really sweating this game out before it started but now I'm so thrilled for the whole organization, the city of Houston, and all of us fans ! The 2011-12 season is a total success !
Next week in BALT will be a huge challenge, but it's one of those scenarios where we have everything to gain and really nothing to lose. Best kind of situation you can ask for.
What a great victory for the Texans and fans !

DocBar
01-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Houston can win this game. It will take some doing by the O but AJ should be the gamechanger there. It's hard to respect all of our receiving threats AND rushing threats with AJ on the field. He ain't no JJ. AJ showed some rust today but I'm sure that's been knocked off.

EVOLVIST
01-08-2012, 12:06 AM
Certainly.

Well, that's based upon what? I think it's incomplete data, since Dalton started the whole season and Yates has only started 6 games.

Dalton has a better WR corps when you consider them as a whole: AJ Green, Jerome Simpson, Brandon Tate, Jermaine Gresham and Donald Lee.

TJ Yates has had Andre Johnson for one complete game. Jacoby Jones sucks, Kevin Walter is not a true #2. We have two pretty good TEs, though: OD and Dreesen...and they don't use Casey enough. That's it!

Dalton and Yates both have 1000 yard rushers.

The Texans have the #2 defense. The Bengals have the #7 defense.

Otherwise, the best you can do is say that TJ Yates won his first playoff game and Andy Dalton didn't. Yates 97.7 QB rating. Dalton 51.4 QB rating.

Dalton could have had an additonal pick from McCain. Yates could have given up a pick to Crocker.

Or....

In six starts:

TJ Yates (3-3)
4 TDs, 3 INTs, 1038 yards - 84.8 QB rating.

Andy Dalton (4-2)
7 TDs, 5 INTs, 1311 yards - 84.3 QB rating.

All in all, you might be right.

TexansFanatic
01-08-2012, 12:39 AM
I think Jerome Solomon is right---there's no such thing as momentum.

A series of wins or winning plays may look like momentum after the fact, but the bottom line is that any team can still win a game after stinking up the field for three an a half quarters.

Any team can still win in the playoffs after a three game losing streak.

Any team can still win the Super Bowl after a 9-7 season.

Momentum is a figment of the imagination and it can only be pointed out after the fact.

The Texans lost their final three regular season games and still managed to beat the crap out of their first playoff opponent.

Even so, let's hope the momentum from this win carries them to another win in Baltimore.

:kitten:

TheMatrix31
01-08-2012, 12:45 AM
Anquan Boldin is out for next week?

thunderkyss
01-08-2012, 12:58 AM

I used to believe in luck, winning streaks & momentum. Then this team broke off 7 in a row without Andre Johnson, Mario Williams, & losing two QBs in the process.

It's not about luck or momentum. It is about being prepared & playing at a high level consistently longer than the other team.

Nitrofish
01-08-2012, 03:23 AM
I used to believe in luck, winning streaks & momentum. Then this team broke off 7 in a row without Andre Johnson, Mario Williams, & losing two QBs in the process.

It's not about luck or momentum. It is about being prepared & playing at a high level consistently longer than the other team.

Great post bro... Hopefully others will take this to heart and not be so upset when the Texans lose a few next year. I think it is clear to anyone now that Kubiak was definitely holding Yates back and playing possum to some degree once we clinched against the Bengals last time. IMHO.

If the Ravens underestimate the Texans and try to use the same game plan as last meeting, I think they are in for a huge surprise at home.

kcdoubleeagle
01-08-2012, 04:22 AM
Momentum, like time, is but an illusion

Daravenator
01-08-2012, 06:08 AM
Anquan Boldin is out for next week?

No. Boldin will play next week. He could have played in Week 17, but Harbaugh held him out.

TexanBacker93
01-08-2012, 08:37 AM
No. Boldin will play next week. He could have played in Week 17, but Harbaugh held him out.

That's what I thought. That's ok. We can deal with him. He played the first go round.

They didn't have to face Andre, though. He's back and the rust is off after this week.

bckey
01-08-2012, 09:37 AM
TJ Yates will have to play beyond his ability to beat the Ravens. He won't get away with staring down receivers and throwing into double coverage. He needs to make accurate throws under pressure because there will be alot of it. Foster will also have to have a monster day. The Ravens liability is Flacco. Pressure him and shutdown Rice and we have a game. This game will most likely come down to turnovers.

NitroGSXR
01-08-2012, 10:41 AM
TJ Yates will have to play beyond his ability to beat the Ravens. He won't get away with staring down receivers and throwing into double coverage. He needs to make accurate throws under pressure because there will be alot of it. Foster will also have to have a monster day. The Ravens liability is Flacco. Pressure him and shutdown Rice and we have a game. This game will most likely come down to turnovers.

Yup. Ed Reed and company has got to be giddy about facing Yates.

BullNation4Life
01-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Let the Ravens be "giddy" about facing Yates. Just remember this, the most dangerous teams in the playoffs, are those with everything to gain and absolutely nothing to lose...

and the Texans are that team....

Daravenator
01-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Let the Ravens be "giddy" about facing Yates. Just remember this, the most dangerous teams in the playoffs, are those with everything to gain and absolutely nothing to lose...

and the Texans are that team....

The Ravens have plenty to lose.

Squandering home field advantage (first time since 2006 and 1st time for Harbaugh, Flacco and Rice). Perhaps the last chance at a SB for Ed Reed, or a second for Ray Lewis. A possible AFCC rematch with the Steelers at home (depending on what happens today and next week, of course!).

But I get your point. The same could be said about Houston- wasting their chance after the Manning-less Colts were 2-14.

No matter- it will be a great game...and finally....at home!

BullNation4Life
01-08-2012, 11:20 AM
The Ravens have plenty to lose.

Squandering home field advantage (first time since 2006 and 1st time for Harbaugh, Flacco and Rice). Perhaps the last chance at a SB for Ed Reed, or a second for Ray Lewis. A possible AFCC rematch with the Steelers at home (depending on what happens today and next week, of course!).

But I get your point. The same could be said about Houston- wasting their chance after the Manning-less Colts were 2-14.

No matter- it will be a great game...and finally....at home!

Squandering what? Texans had the playoffs wrapped up in week 14. Squandering a first round bye, yeah I could agree with that but this is the playoffs now, everything that happened in the regular season is out the window...

and the Texans have nothing to lose going into Sunday....

Daravenator
01-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Squandering what? Texans had the playoffs wrapped up in week 14. Squandering a first round bye, yeah I could agree with that but this is the playoffs now, everything that happened in the regular season is out the window...

and the Texans have nothing to lose going into Sunday....

What I mean is, Houston hasn't made it to the post-season in their history. Mostly due to never being able to get by Indy. So some might say that with the year the Texans had this season, they would be "squandering" that chance at a SB if they were to lose in the Divisional Playoff and not go any further.

Some would say...not all!!

GuerillaBlack
01-08-2012, 11:49 AM
What I mean is, Houston hasn't made it to the post-season in their history. Mostly due to never being able to get by Indy. So some might say that with the year the Texans had this season, they would be "squandering" that chance at a SB if they were to lose in the Divisional Playoff and not go any further.

Maybe if Matt Schaub and Mario Williams were playing. They are playing with house money now. They won their first home playoff game and it was about 50/50 chance according to many analysts. Against the Ravens, most probably think the Texans have no chance. That's good for the Texans...they're better in that role.

TheMatrix31
01-08-2012, 02:37 PM

You're insinuating the only reason we won the division was because Peyton Manning was hurt.

That pisses me off.

Daravenator
01-08-2012, 08:52 PM
You're insinuating the only reason we won the division was because Peyton Manning was hurt.

That pisses me off.

No offense, but let's be realistic. It hasn't happened before...and that was because of Peyton Manning. Not to say this year would not have been different, but we will never know, because he was out. I'm pretty sure Indy would not have been 2-14 had he been under center (and healthy) all year long.

No matter. The Broncos just showed what a team that was a definite underdog can do in the post-season. I'm sure the Texans will take that message to heart.

GP
01-08-2012, 09:01 PM

Some would say that PLENTY other teams beat the Colts this year, too, but it's only the Texans who get ragged for having taking care of their own business and EARNING the divisional title.

Some would say...not all!

;)

TheMatrix31
01-08-2012, 09:03 PM
No offense, but let's be realistic. It hasn't happened before...and that was because of Peyton Manning. Not to say this year would not have been different, but we will never know, because he was out. I'm pretty sure Indy would not have been 2-14 had he been under center (and healthy) all year long.

No matter. The Broncos just showed what a team that was a definite underdog can do in the post-season. I'm sure the Texans will take that message to heart.

What the Texans did this year had absolutely nothing to do with the Manning injury. The Colts barely made it last year WITH Manning, and save for literally 5 or 6 games (San Diego, Jacksonville, New York, Denver, Philly at least) that the Texans gave away last year (mostly through awful secondary), Houston would have won the division LAST year.

What this team did this year, with the incredible resiliency through injury, to absolute DOMINATION of teams we should beat (ya ya, I know, Carolina/Indy/Tenn after we clinched, blah blah blah), to the unreal defensive turnaround, to the emergence of so much young talent.....it pisses me the **** off to see you or anybody discredit what they did by saying that ****.

Absolutely infuriating.

GP
01-08-2012, 09:08 PM

Indy would have been an 8-8 or 9-7 team at best with Manning. Last season was the year that he and the whole team began showing some cracks, some age and rust.

No run game. An offensive line that is, like I said, aging and slowing down. Reggie Wayne as their only go-to WR and maybe Garcon as a nice alternative similar to how we use Owen Daniels in our own pass game.

The defensive LBs and Secondary is patch-worked, with their d-line being the only threat against offenses...and that's because of one consistently dominant pass rusher that beats almost any player he's opposite of.

Don't pretend you know our divisional business better than us. We've beaten every team in YOUR division except for your team...and that's coming around the bend a week from today Dave.

thunderkyss
01-08-2012, 09:16 PM
What the Texans did this year had absolutely nothing to do with the Manning injury. The Colts barely made it last year WITH Manning, and save for literally 5 or 6 games (San Diego, Jacksonville, New York, Denver, Philly at least) that the Texans gave away last year (mostly through awful secondary), Houston would have won the division LAST year.

What this team did this year, with the incredible resiliency through injury, to absolute DOMINATION of teams we should beat (ya ya, I know, Carolina/Indy/Tenn after we clinched, blah blah blah), to the unreal defensive turnaround, to the emergence of so much young talent.....it pisses me the **** off to see you or anybody discredit what they did by saying that ****.

Absolutely infuriating.

If Manning were healthy, we wouldn't have won the division with 10 games.. I doubt it anyway. Clinching the division in week 13 gave us the opportunity to get back to basics with our offense & work on the game plan that is giving us a chance to go deep in the play-offs.

:fingerscrossed:

CloakNNNdagger
01-08-2012, 10:00 PM
There is good momentum. And there is BAD MOMENTUM (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSNqzZIRlXE). Looking forward to the former.

TimeKiller
01-09-2012, 07:57 AM
That's ok Ravens fan. We all know why the Ravens haven't been able to make a sound since 2002 or whenever the hell it was.....

Ol' Big Ben Roethlisberger been in the way huh? Hogging up all of Ray Ray's glory....

That's ok, let Denver do the dirty work Baltimore can't.

infantrycak
01-09-2012, 10:20 AM
If Manning were healthy, we wouldn't have won the division with 10 games.

So your saying this year's Colts would have been 10-6 with Manning? I'm not buying that.