PDA

View Full Version : If the NFL embraced BCS instead of the playoffs

AnthonyE
01-06-2012, 09:11 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-embraced-bcs-instead-silly-playoffs-191623837.html#more-15336

Super Bowl: Green Bay Packers vs. New Orleans Saints
It's the Packers and the Saints for all the marbles, which is a tough break for the 49ers (and the Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, Texans, Falcons, Lions and pretty much everyone else), but that's the way it goes.
The 49ers were close to getting the bid, but their losses came later in the season, and the pollsters are notoriously biased against West Coast teams. Sorry. Also, Drew Brees and the Saints are a little more media-friendly, and this way, the media gets to promote the Brees vs. Rodgers Heisman showdown.
And yes, it's a rematch of a game that's already happened this season, but we care nothing about that. But take solace, 49ers fans

There are some pretty funny ones in there, including the Texans bowl game.

drunkcookie
01-08-2012, 12:23 PM
lol... some funny stuff there... but this one bugged me:

Hyundai Bowl: Baltimore Ravens vs. Detroit Lions

It's a shame that Baltimore won its division and still got shut out of the BCS, but it's just that the Steelers fans travel so well. The Doritos people couldn't say no to the Tebow vs. Roethlisberger, good vs. evil storyline. Also, from what I understand, the Ford family isn't thrilled with their placement in the Hyundai Bowl and will refuse the trophy if they win it.

I hate hearing how well Steelers fans "travel"... they don't "travel" any further than the home-team's fans travel because they live freaking everywhere... every time I turn over a big rock while out walking in the woods I find three things: ants, some worms or something and a Steelers fan... they're like roaches...

TheCD
01-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Pepsi Bowl: Houston Texans vs. New York Giants
No one really cares about the Pepsi Bowl.

Hands down the funniest line of the article.

Double Barrel
01-09-2012, 06:26 PM
I hate hearing how well Steelers fans "travel"... they don't "travel" any further than the home-team's fans travel because they live freaking everywhere... every time I turn over a big rock while out walking in the woods I find three things: ants, some worms or something and a Steelers fan... they're like roaches...

I think the "travel" thing is more of a figure of speech when talking about the Steelers.

We are used to hearing it about college teams, where the fans actually do travel to bowl games.

But with pro teams, I have always thought it meant that the team will have many fans everywhere, because Steelers fans are a bunch of bandwaggoning jackrabbits who are a nothing but shallow simpletons because they won't root for their hometown teams!

Or something like that...

:D [/sarcasm]

drunkcookie
01-09-2012, 07:28 PM
I think the "travel" thing is more of a figure of speech when talking about the Steelers.

We are used to hearing it about college teams, where the fans actually do travel to bowl games.

But with pro teams, I have always thought it meant that the team will have many fans everywhere, because Steelers fans are a bunch of bandwaggoning jackrabbits who are a nothing but shallow simpletons because they won't root for their hometown teams!

That's the deal, I always hear it about college teams, so when I hear it about an NFL tea, I mean The Steelers, I associate it with actually "travelling"... ha, but you're probably right...

But either way, that was my point: it has more to do with them being everywhere, then them travelling everywhere...

TheMatrix31
01-09-2012, 08:11 PM
That's pretty ****ing stupid. I'd kill to see a Texans/Giants game. Would be a great game.

Blake
01-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Funny stuff. Good article.

TheCD
01-10-2012, 12:30 PM
That's pretty ****ing stupid. I'd kill to see a Texans/Giants game. Would be a great game.

Nah, you shouldn't be offended. They rip every team they put on there. I actually took it as a compliment that they didn't go into details on why it was a bad matchup.

Dread-Head
01-10-2012, 01:46 PM
lol... some funny stuff there... but this one bugged me:

[i]I hate hearing how well Steelers fans "travel"... they don't "travel" any further than the home-team's fans travel because they live freaking everywhere... every time I turn over a big rock while out walking in the woods I find three things: ants, some worms or something and a Steelers fan... they're like roaches...

The Steelers are my #2 team...and even I have to admit THAT'S funny! BTW I live under a big rock and there are lots of slugs and lawyers under here too.

Dread-Head
01-10-2012, 02:01 PM

First time I cheered for the Steelers (whom I hated as an Oiler fan) was in 1996 when they play the Cowboys in Superbowl XXX. I asked myself "who do you hate MORE in this equation?" And the answer was OBVIOUSLY the Cowboys. Hell if Satan fielded a team and played the Cowboys in a Superbowl I'd be cheering for him. I didn't become a Steeler fan until two seasons later when it sunk in that the Oilers were gone and the local media was trying to shove the Cowboys down my damn throat.
The Steeler nation became my #2 Team when Bob McNair decided to call his new franchise the "Texans" rather than the "Rough necks" and the Newly minted Houston Texans beat the damn Cowboys 19-10 in their first game EVER!

TheMatrix31
01-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Nah, you shouldn't be offended. They rip every team they put on there. I actually took it as a compliment that they didn't go into details on why it was a bad matchup.

Ya, I know it's satirical....but I think the satire wasn't done well for ours. As if NOBODY would want to see that matchup. As if it was like Cleveland and Seattle or something.

TexanSam
01-10-2012, 07:49 PM
Ya, I know it's satirical....but I think the satire wasn't done well for ours. As if NOBODY would want to see that matchup. As if it was like Cleveland and Seattle or something.

I'd probably put us in the same breath as those teams actually when it comes to how much people care about the Texans around the country. Shoot, Seattle's been around for 30+ years and still nobody cares about them. It is what it is.

Double Barrel
01-11-2012, 01:08 PM
First time I cheered for the Steelers (whom I hated as an Oiler fan) was in 1996 when they play the Cowboys in Superbowl XXX. I asked myself "who do you hate MORE in this equation?" And the answer was OBVIOUSLY the Cowboys. Hell if Satan fielded a team and played the Cowboys in a Superbowl I'd be cheering for him. I didn't become a Steeler fan until two seasons later when it sunk in that the Oilers were gone and the local media was trying to shove the Cowboys down my damn throat.
The Steeler nation became my #2 Team when Bob McNair decided to call his new franchise the "Texans" rather than the "Rough necks" and the Newly minted Houston Texans beat the damn Cowboys 19-10 in their first game EVER!

yeah, that's cool, because you are a Texans fan first and foremost.

The bandwagon fans that live in a city but root for another team, even when they have never even visited that team's city, are the ones that I'm talking about.

We have many of them right here in H-town rooting for the Cowboys, even though they have never lived or even visited Dallas.

When it comes to the Titans or Cowboys, I root for whoever they are playing against. And even my boy knows that there is one time that we can hold our noses and root for the Cowboys: WHEN THEY PLAY THE TITANS.

majestrate
01-11-2012, 02:51 PM
When it comes to the Titans or Cowboys, I root for whoever they are playing against. And even my boy knows that there is one time that we can hold our noses and root for the Cowboys: WHEN THEY PLAY THE TITANS.
In that rare instance, I always hope for a draw, or some kind of condition that forces the game to be cancelled.

infantrycak
01-11-2012, 03:04 PM
First time I cheered for the Steelers (whom I hated as an Oiler fan) was in 1996 when they play the Cowboys in Superbowl XXX. I asked myself "who do you hate MORE in this equation?" And the answer was OBVIOUSLY the Cowboys.

I just can't understand this. The Steelers kept the Oilers out of the SB for a long, long time even times which might have ended up with a Cowboys v. Oilers SB for example the 1978 SB (Wade Phillips defensive line coach). That's who I would hate long before expending energy on a team who never did anything to your favorite team. I hate fans over what fans do and teams over what teams do.

Txn_in_FL
01-12-2012, 07:39 PM

By no means a Steeler fan but I was in the same boat. Terrible game and the only game I can remember where I finished watching and everyone, even the Cowboy fans, thought it looked like the fix was in LOL.

TheCD
01-13-2012, 10:41 AM
yeah, that's cool, because you are a Texans fan first and foremost.

The bandwagon fans that live in a city but root for another team, even when they have never even visited that team's city, are the ones that I'm talking about.

I disagree with this entirely. I live in Wichita Falls (former home of the Cowboys training camp) and this is very much Cowboys country. When I first heard that Houston was getting a team they became my team. Period. I was 14/15 at the time and had never really been to Houston. It wasn't until 2008 that I was able to visit when my wife and I got married. We went on a cruise out of Galveston, and the first thing I made her do is drive by Reliant so I could see it (during the month of June), but we were only passing through. It wasn't for another year and a half that I was able to attend my first (and to date, only) Texans game.

But to say people like me don't meet the criteria for fans is wrong. I can't even count how many games I would do nothing but sit in front of the NFL.com gamecenter and follow the game all the way through and read through the official gameday threads because I had no other options.

I'm not trying to harp on you or anything, but there are plenty of fans who have never been to a city that are real fans. That's what the NFL builds itself off of.

Double Barrel
01-13-2012, 12:23 PM
I disagree with this entirely. I live in Wichita Falls (former home of the Cowboys training camp) and this is very much Cowboys country. When I first heard that Houston was getting a team they became my team. Period. I was 14/15 at the time and had never really been to Houston. It wasn't until 2008 that I was able to visit when my wife and I got married. We went on a cruise out of Galveston, and the first thing I made her do is drive by Reliant so I could see it (during the month of June), but we were only passing through. It wasn't for another year and a half that I was able to attend my first (and to date, only) Texans game.

But to say people like me don't meet the criteria for fans is wrong. I can't even count how many games I would do nothing but sit in front of the NFL.com gamecenter and follow the game all the way through and read through the official gameday threads because I had no other options.

I'm not trying to harp on you or anything, but there are plenty of fans who have never been to a city that are real fans. That's what the NFL builds itself off of.

Please allow me to clarify. I NEVER judge another person's level of being a fan. It's just not who I am or what I'm about.

We were talking in the context of living in Houston but not rooting for the Houston team, but instead choosing to root for other teams simply because they are winning. I have lived my whole life in Houston, and have encountered so many Cowboys fans who talk trash about Houston's football team while rooting for a team in a city that they have no connection to.

My point is that I just don't get these particular folks.

But I certainly understand living somewhere without a hometown team and choosing a team to root for. We did not have football in Houston for 6 years, so I had little choice but to find other teams to follow. I never bought any gear, but I was rooting for the Broncos during Elway's last two Super Bowl runs. My buddy, another lifelong Oilers fan, chose Green Bay because he was born in Wisconsin.

But once the Texans were announced, it was a no brainer. But that's because I live in Houston, and I can't fault anyone that lives somewhere without a team choosing whatever team that they desire. Hope all that makes sense.

As far as my rant on the Steelers, it's just part of Houston football history. So I am biased in that regard and make no bones about it.

eriadoc
01-13-2012, 12:58 PM
I just can't understand this. The Steelers kept the Oilers out of the SB for a long, long time even times which might have ended up with a Cowboys v. Oilers SB for example the 1978 SB (Wade Phillips defensive line coach). That's who I would hate long before expending energy on a team who never did anything to your favorite team. I hate fans over what fans do and teams over what teams do.

Yep. I will always, always, ALWAYS hate the Pittsburgh Steelers. The fact that the refs seem to always be in their damn pocket doesn't help matters.

TheCD
01-13-2012, 12:59 PM
But I certainly understand living somewhere without a hometown team and choosing a team to root for.

I understand what you're getting at, but keep in mind that while the Cowboys aren't a "hometown" team, Wichita Falls is both an official secondary market and essentially a far suburb of Dallas. So, it is pretty much what you say in my case: Cowboys fans are everywhere and I am the odd one who chooses to be a different fan. In fact, when people that don't know me well find out I'm a Texans fan, the first question I always get is "are you from Houston?"

I guess my greater point is that I don't see a person as being a bandwagon fan just because they are a fan of a team outside of the one in which they live, even if they are from that city. I never took to the Cowboys, just wasn't in me. Almost all of my friends did. That's just the way it went. Perhaps I am just saying something a little different than you, though.

Hookem Horns
01-13-2012, 01:19 PM
To each his own I guess. I am in the same boat as DB when it comes to the Steelers due to the Oilers history. Actually I would have a hard time being a fan of any other AFC team because of the conflict with the Texans.

I am open about being a Giants fan, one I lived up there for years, two they are in the NFC and only play the Texans every 4 seasons (which is a game I don't like), three they are a hated rival of the Cowboys, four they now have 2 home stadiums, Giants Stadium and Eli Stadium at Arlington.

So it was easy for me to get on board with Big Blue even back in the 80's when the Oilers were still around.

Some feel you can't root for 2 teams but I do. For me it makes Sundays much more fun. This Sunday I have a playoff double header. I will be sporting my Texans jersey with my Eli jersey underneath. Once the Texans game is over I will switch (if I am out somewhere which I plan on doing).

Now the weird thing is I do not want a Texans/Giants Super Bowl however I obviously will not be rooting for either to lose. Of course if it happens I will root for the Texans, however it won't feel right rooting against the Giants either.

Texan_Bill
01-13-2012, 01:58 PM
The Steelers are my #2 team...and even I have to admit THAT'S funny! BTW I live under a big rock and there are lots of slugs and lawyers under here too.

Officially DISOWNED!

:facepalm: Jesse!

Double Barrel
01-13-2012, 03:42 PM
I understand what you're getting at, but keep in mind that while the Cowboys aren't a "hometown" team, Wichita Falls is both an official secondary market and essentially a far suburb of Dallas. So, it is pretty much what you say in my case: Cowboys fans are everywhere and I am the odd one who chooses to be a different fan. In fact, when people that don't know me well find out I'm a Texans fan, the first question I always get is "are you from Houston?"

I guess my greater point is that I don't see a person as being a bandwagon fan just because they are a fan of a team outside of the one in which they live, even if they are from that city. I never took to the Cowboys, just wasn't in me. Almost all of my friends did. That's just the way it went. Perhaps I am just saying something a little different than you, though.

See, your situation is almost exactly opposite of my point. You are choosing the Texans to be different, not because they have multiple Super Bowl championships. I can respect that, just like a buddy of mine picked the Detroit Lions a couple of years ago as his second team. The freakin' LIONS? Well, he was happy this season for both of his teams.

And 'bandwagon' is a loose term that I have fun with, but I've got friends who live in H-town and have rooted for the Cowboys their whole lives. Their parents raised them wrong, of course, but they've been wrong since they were kids, so I give them a break...sometimes. ;)

At least many of them root for the Texans now, as well.

I'll be honest with you: if I grew up in Wichita Falls, I'm sure my family would have been Cowboys fans and I would be by default, as well. Sort of like growing up in certain religions and that's all you know as a kid.