PDA

View Full Version : Greg McElroy of Jets Speaks out

Goldensilence
01-05-2012, 01:01 PM
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/other_nfl/view/20120105jets_greg_mcelroy_mentions_corrupt_mind-set_selfish_individuals/srvc=sports&position=recent_bullet

Snippet :
"Itís the first time Iíve ever been around extremely selfish individuals, and I think thatís maybe the nature of the NFL," said McElroy, who was with the team all season despite his injury. "But there were people within our locker room that didnít care whether we won or lost, as long as they got (theirs)."

Definitely a media uproar about his comments. I don't have a problem with it personally. I just think its says a lot about the state of the Jets for a 3rd string QB to say what needs to be said.

Playoffs
01-05-2012, 01:17 PM
It's the truth, no doubt, but sometimes you need to keep your trap shut outside the confines of the locker room.

Blake
01-05-2012, 02:48 PM
There has to be some serious internal issues for that team to miss the playoffs. McElroy is entitled to his opinion and right to speak his mind. I think he speaks the truth. It adds up.

Hervoyel
01-05-2012, 03:48 PM
There has to be some serious internal issues for that team to miss the playoffs. McElroy is entitled to his opinion and right to speak his mind. I think he speaks the truth. It adds up.

The Jets are not a team. Therein lies the problem. What really sucks is that just a year or two ago they were.

silvrhand
01-05-2012, 04:27 PM
The Jets are not a team. Therein lies the problem. What really sucks is that just a year or two ago they were.

Personally I think this is a learning curve for Rex, that he can't just keep picking up all the talent off the street that have issues and get them to play as a team. He'll learn from this for sure and make some changes, I can't help but like Rex's attitude, but sometimes he does need to shut it down.

Doppelganger
01-05-2012, 04:53 PM

Yeah but he is also a 3rd string QB. 3rd string players that run their mouth can very easily be shown the door. Maybe he wants that, but he didn't exactly light it up in the Preseason. It would have been smarter to keep his mouth shut, work hard and try to get better as a QB.

Doppelganger
01-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Personally I think this is a learning curve for Rex, that he can't just keep picking up all the talent off the street that have issues and get them to play as a team. He'll learn from this for sure and make some changes, I can't help but like Rex's attitude, but sometimes he does need to shut it down.

The problem with Rex is he is the same guy as Ozzie Guillen. As long as he is winning, his antics are funny and light hearted. The second he stops winning, his antics are distracting to the team. Coaches like Rex and Ozzie can only stay in one place so long. I think next year is playoffs or bust for Rex.

Mr. White
01-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Rex is like Jerry Glanville. A guy that can get a team fired up for a season or two, but can't keep it going over the long term.

I'm thinking that this is the beginning of the end.

drs23
01-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Rex is like Jerry Glanville. A guy that can get a team fired up for a season or two, but can't keep it going over the long term.

I'm thinking that this is the beginning of the end.

How could that possibly be? I recently read a quote where he said he'd be the Jets HC "for another 10-15 years".:kitten:

Goldensilence
01-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Yeah but he is also a 3rd string QB. 3rd string players that run their mouth can very easily be shown the door. Maybe he wants that, but he didn't exactly light it up in the Preseason. It would have been smarter to keep his mouth shut, work hard and try to get better as a QB.

I don't think he lit it up, but he did much better than a lot of people expected, which was why he was kept around. I don't honestly know how much better he can get, he reminds me a lot of Chad Pennington ironically. Weak arm, but high football IQ. Greg's got a great future in coaching if he can't stick around long in the NFL.

I think there's several issues with the Jets, but what it really comes down to is Mark Sanchez IMO. He's just not consistent and even on his "good games" I don't find myself really impressed with him. I thought they were bat shit crazy to make the trade up to get him and I think he's got next year to prove he's the guy that can take them to the promised land.

gg no re
01-05-2012, 10:51 PM
I think there's several issues with the Jets, but what it really comes down to is Mark Sanchez IMO. He's just not consistent and even on his "good games" I don't find myself really impressed with him. I thought they were bat shit crazy to make the trade up to get him and I think he's got next year to prove he's the guy that can take them to the promised land.

I'd think this was the year that the Sanchize was supposed to be the man.

For some reason I expect Matt Flynn to be in a Jets uniform.

GP
01-05-2012, 11:33 PM
The problem with Rex is he is the same guy as Ozzie Guillen. As long as he is winning, his antics are funny and light hearted. The second he stops winning, his antics are distracting to the team. Coaches like Rex and Ozzie can only stay in one place so long. I think next year is playoffs or bust for Rex.

Bingo.

Goldensilence
01-05-2012, 11:46 PM
I'd think this was the year that the Sanchize was supposed to be the man.

For some reason I expect Matt Flynn to be in a Jets uniform.

Supposed to being the operative word. Better or worse the Mark Sanchez experiment for the Jets has one more year. I have a feeling RB will the Jets first pick and they'll look to run the ball more next year and limit Sanchez to managing the game and occasionally making a play.

silvrhand
01-06-2012, 11:03 AM

lol did you even watch the preseason game where he got hurt? The dude was taking a POUNDING and kept playing..

Rey
01-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Jets are going to get Peyton Manning if he is healthy.

Ole Miss Texan
01-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Jets are going to get Peyton Manning if he is healthy.

Wouldn't that be something?! NY Jets vs. NY Giants would be EPIC. The media would go nuts. Not to mention Peyton vs. Brady twice a year.

I have a feeling if the Colts do go the route of trying to trade Peyton, they're going to be very respectful of Manning and get a list of teams/coaches that he would want to play for.

eriadoc
01-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Wouldn't that be something?! NY Jets vs. NY Giants would be EPIC. The media would go nuts. Not to mention Peyton vs. Brady twice a year.

I have a feeling if the Colts do go the route of trying to trade Peyton, they're going to be very respectful of Manning and get a list of teams/coaches that he would want to play for.

I wish they'd trade him to the Rams.

GP
01-06-2012, 03:15 PM

I thought maybe Tom Moore was already with the Jets this year...as a type of additional "help" with the offense.

If he's still there, then this would easily ramp up the idea that there could be TWO QBs in New York with the last name Manning.

Goldensilence
01-07-2012, 01:20 AM

I would also think they would prefer an NFC team if possible. San Fran would make a lot of sense. They prolly have the cap space to make a deal and have a lot of good things in place that would keep Manning in the hunt for a second ring.

Irsay might be saying all the right things concerning Manning, but firing the Polians sends a pretty clear message that he intends to clean house, he's even uttered the words rebuilding. I think its only a matter of time before the new GM axes Caldwell.

Wayne looks like he's gone, Saturday as well, Brackett prolly too.

The real question facing Irsay and the next GM isn't really just the health of Peyton; its the 28 million due to Manning. Whether you're looking at Luck or RG3 the reality is with possibly letting all those pieces is it worth it to rent Peyton for a rebuilding year? Would Irsay force Peyton to stick around after everything? Specially if they choose NFL ready Luck.

Dutchrudder
01-07-2012, 02:29 AM

I think if Peyton gets traded he's going to end up with the 49ers.

infantrycak
01-07-2012, 09:04 AM
I don't understand all the trade Manning talk. His bonus is due before trading starts. The only way the Colts can trade him is to have his rights which requires paying $28 mil. Then if they trade him $28 mil instantly goes on this year's cap. That's a quarter of the cap for a guy not on your team - in an off-season Wayne needs to be signed or will leave. Kind of hard to rebuild when you have no money. It would basically be throwing away next year and getting a bunch of scrimmage time for all the rookies they bring in.

Playoffs
01-07-2012, 09:19 AM
I don't understand all the trade Manning talk.
It's another attention & traffic seeking red-herring posted by the idiot midget at ProFootballTalk.

ArlingtonTexan
01-07-2012, 09:28 AM
It's another attention & traffic seeking red-herring posted by the idiot midget at ProFootballTalk.

there is not one link to florio or profootballtalk.com in this thread. Manning trade talk is all over the place. he has plenty of moments where might all of what you said not this time though.

Playoffs
01-07-2012, 09:47 AM
there is not one link to florio or profootballtalk.com in this thread. Manning trade talk is all over the place. he has plenty of moments where might all of what you said not this time though.This is the first I read about Peyton being released/Jets -- thought it silly at the time:

Given the manner in which the Jets jettisoned Chad Pennington for Brett Favre, nothing can be ruled out. Especially if Peyton Manning ends up being released by the Colts and becomes intrigued by the prospect of a Manning family takeover of New York/New Jersey. (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/26/rex-reiterates-support-for-sanchez/)

ArlingtonTexan
01-07-2012, 10:05 AM
This is the first I read about Peyton being released/Jets -- thought it silly at the time:

Given the manner in which the Jets jettisoned Chad Pennington for Brett Favre, nothing can be ruled out. Especially if Peyton Manning ends up being released by the Colts and becomes intrigued by the prospect of a Manning family takeover of New York/New Jersey. (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/26/rex-reiterates-support-for-sanchez/)

Gotcha on the Jets specific, but i have reading about Luck/Manning/ trades/release since it became apparent that Colts were going to be awful this year.

Txn_in_Oki
01-07-2012, 10:14 AM
I'm sorry but if Peyton comes back next year he's a complete offing *****. I totally respect his love for the game but his injury and surgery are just begging for him to be crippled for life if he comes back. He's a smart guy and needs to know when to hang 'em up like his brother did. It sucks but that happen sometimes.

I'm not going to search for any links but the oldest Manning brother was supposedly the absolute shit and better than either Peyton or Eli. Simply stated, spinal issues run in the family and shouldn't be messed with.

With the O'line they have and the D the Texans are showing now? A bad neck is not something you want to bring to the AFC South.

infantrycak
01-07-2012, 11:08 AM
I'm not going to search for any links but the oldest Manning brother was supposedly the absolute shit and better than either Peyton or Eli. Simply stated, spinal issues run in the family and shouldn't be messed with.

Cooper was a promising highschool WR prospect (catching balls from Peyton) when he is diagnosed and ended his career.

GP
01-07-2012, 11:56 AM
He's not going to get traded. He's going to be released before the big cash is owed to him by the Colts.

No way will the Colts want to have controversy in 2012. They will let #18 go bark out audibles and wave his hands somewhere else, and Andrew Luck will be their draft pick and future QB.

I wonder if the Jets have a David Carr infatuation with Mark Sanchez, which would prohibit them from pursuing a free agent such as Manning. If not, then the Jets would be a top landing spot for Manning. Everyone wants to play for the Jets, so Manning would draw other free agents to the team even more than before his arrival. However...would he want to play for a guy like Rex Ryan? I don't know that Manning and Rex could co-exist.

Other destinations? He'd be a better fit anywhere that has a front office and a HC and OC who will let him do what he does. He had freedom in Indy, and he's going to want a lot of creative control wherever he goes. IMO, you can rule out teams where front offices and HC's or OC's are strong-armed leaders who demand a player to buy into THEIR philosophy first and foremost.

This, IMO, makes the market pretty narrow for Manning. The team would need to have cap space, and possibly would need to be in such dire straits (in terms of sucking at QB for so long) that they would take on Manning and let him do whatever he wanted to do.

Possibilities in the NFC:

1. Tampa Bay
2. St. Louis
3. Minnesota
4. Seattle

I don't think Washington would be a fit because Shanahan is a strong-arm guy.

Wouldn't be a fit in Dallas because Jerry is, well....he's the man and that's that.

The four teams, above, represent teams who need Manning more than Manning needs them. Manning has this mindset that HE can do his thing no matter where he's at. He wants to prove that he still has "it."

In the AFC:

1. Cleveland
2. Miami
3. Buffalo
4. Jacksonville (A long shot, IMO, out of the 8 teams listed)

Dallas might be in play, the more I think about it. Jerry would pay the cash, for sure. He might be tired of the Tony Romo show by this point, and might want to go with a proven QB to try and make a real run at a title.

ChampionTexan
01-07-2012, 01:22 PM
https://p.twimg.com/AikgCVqCAAIy61m.jpg

bigfan77801
01-07-2012, 07:06 PM
https://p.twimg.com/AikgCVqCAAIy61m.jpg

I don't care who you are that's funny right there.:user: