PDA

View Full Version : High Snaps

Sigma
01-03-2012, 08:46 AM
I watched the game only today, I already knew how in the end we failed the 2pt conversion with the false start first and the high snap later.

Watching the game I noticed that most times Delhomme had to extend his arms high to catch the ball because the snap was high.

I'm not a football expert but I found that strange...

Anyone noticed that? Do you think it could be an issue in the playoffs?

ts4texans
01-03-2012, 08:47 AM
we need to be extra careful, even just one bad snap is could easily cost us the game, just like it did last week.

TheIronDuke
01-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Back-up center.

Malloy
01-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Myers on the sideline fairly early in the game.

I'm choosing to look at this as a non-problem, we've got more pressing issues to worry about :)

SheTexan
01-03-2012, 09:03 AM
we've got more pressing issues to worry about :)

Yep! Like, is KJ/JA gonna cost us another game! I've already hit the maalox bottle worrying about that one! To bad we don't have another J. Joe on that side.

Malloy
01-03-2012, 09:08 AM
Yep! Like, is KJ/JA gonna cost us another game! I've already hit the maalox bottle worrying about that one! To bad we don't have another J. Joe on that side.

Hm... I was thinking more in the lines of 'Will Toro be able to get the crowd pumped'...

Crap, I is all scarrid now!!

Calface4
01-03-2012, 09:09 AM
Back-up center.

Exactly. Myers would never make that kind of mistake. I don't believe he has all year anyways.

CloakNNNdagger
01-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Back-up center.

Not really our regular back-up center.............actually, Brisiel has been listed as our backup center on the depth chart all year.

dinkatoid
01-03-2012, 10:25 AM
I am not positive of this, but I believe it was Thomas Austin who was in at center. He is only a 2nd year player who went undrafted, and sat on the patriots practice squad much (if not all) of last year. He is normally a G, and I am not even sure he has had any game action with us.

So with all of this being said, I don't think its something we need to be worried about.

ObsiWan
01-03-2012, 10:30 AM
I am not positive of this, but I believe it was Thomas Austin who was in at center. He is only a 2nd year player who went undrafted, and sat on the patriots practice squad much (if not all) of last year. He is normally a G, and I am not even sure he has had any game action with us.

So with all of this being said, I don't think its something we need to be worried about.

Correct

dream_team
01-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Not really our regular back-up center.............actually, Brisiel has been listed as our backup center on the depth chart all year.

I know Brisiel is the backup center... but with him out, is Caldwell now the backup? I also believe this is the first time Austin was even active for a game.

I'm actually quite surprised the Titans D-Line didn't manhandle that OL featuring Austin, Gardner, and Newton for a bit. Besides Casey, no one on the DL was making any plays.

CloakNNNdagger
01-03-2012, 01:31 PM

I looked it up and Austin split his college career between guard and center.

False Start
01-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Even with the starting line-up, sometimes it looks like TJ catches the snap weird.

dinkatoid
01-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Even with the starting line-up, sometimes it looks like TJ catches the snap weird.

I am just speculating here, but it could be do to the fact that Myers stance is a bit funny (he gets down really low, as evident when they are under center), which could just be odd for him after years of seeing a more traditional higher up center. I am assuming when you do any action tens of thousands of times like taking a snap in the gun, any little variation could throw you off for a half second or so.

The Pencil Neck
01-03-2012, 01:56 PM
I haven't bothered to watch all the NFL programs but the one thing I found odd from what little I watched was that no one was talking about how few of our starters were in.

If Newton hadn't gone down, we would have been playing with only Wade Smith as a starter on our offensive line. As it was, Gardner was alternating series between right and left tackle. Austin playing C and Caldwell playing RG.

And I don't know if it's been discussed much (because I haven't been around all that much the past few weeks), but there is a noticeable drop off from Brisiel to Caldwell. A big reason our offense hasn't looked as good since the Bengal game was Caldwell getting pantsed. Brisiel coming back for the playoffs could be the biggest story no one talks about.

And I'm surprised about the drop off. When Caldwell was drafted, I had high hopes for him. I thought he'd take over and dominate at RG if not at C. But after having to watch him the past few weeks, I'm totally off the Caldwell bandwagon. We need better depth at guard/center than that. He looks lost and slow out there.

But, to the OP, Austin had an issue with shotgun snaps. He was snapping them high all game. He needs to work on that. This is the first playing time he's gotten for us and let's all pray that Myers doesn't get injured.

Dutchrudder
01-03-2012, 02:43 PM

It's not like the Bengals have two pro-bowl corners out there. Most teams don't, and have to get by with average #2 CBs. Everyone has weaknesses, and i'm sure Wade and Kubes are aware of ours and theirs.

CloakNNNdagger
01-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Houston Texans Twitter
HoustonTexans Houston Texans
LT Duane Brown on leader of O-line: "I'd probably have to say Chris Myers...He's the most vocal...He's a leader. He does everything right."
3 hours ago

Can you imagine Austin calling the OL play

SheTexan
01-03-2012, 06:28 PM
It's not like the Bengals have two pro-bowl corners out there. Most teams don't, and have to get by with average #2 CBs. Everyone has weaknesses, and i'm sure Wade and Kubes are aware of ours and theirs.

Wade and Kubes being "aware" does NOT in any stretch of the imagination make KJ "aware!!" The dude does not concentrate!! Besides, IMHO, he's not anywhere close to being average!

SuperSerial
01-04-2012, 03:18 AM
They were just fooling around with the high snaps to poke fun at Romo.

CloakNNNdagger
01-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Did anyone notice that there were a couple of very high snaps to Turk on punts again last game?

Giant Tiger
01-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Did anyone notice that there were a couple of very high snaps to Turk on punts again last game?

Yeah, that bothers me. We shouldn't be shooting ourselves in the foot going on the road against a quality opponent. It used to drive me nuts when a certain quarterback a few years ago seemed to have this nasty habit of fumbling the opening snap in Indianapolis. That said, I like the way Matt stayed cool & handled the snap easily.

ThaShark316
01-11-2012, 08:03 PM

No it wasn't. Just watched 'em.

CloakNNNdagger
01-11-2012, 08:11 PM
No it wasn't. Just watched 'em.

I was at the game and I watched the replay of the game. There WERE high snaps. The snaps are not supposed to be aimed at Turk's head.

ThaShark316
01-11-2012, 08:20 PM
I was at the game and I watched the replay of the game. There WERE high snaps. The snaps are not supposed to be aimed at Turk's head.

I saw 1 that MAY have been high, but nothing worthy of concern for me. We may have different tastes on high snaps on punts. I just don't think we need to worry about J. Weeks.