PDA

View Full Version : Why People Are Angry That We Rested Our Starters?

EVOLVIST
01-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Check this:

New England didn't rest their starters.

New Orleans didn't rest their starters.

49ers, Steelers, Ravens, not resting their starters either.

I know some of these team have seeding to think about, but if they were thinking like the Texans, when you're in you're in, right? :choke:

James Casey just said on the radio that the team learned Saturday that the Texans would be resting their starters.

I didn't even pay for a ticket, but if I had paid to see the Texans play I would be pissed with what they put on the field. But I have paid, in many, many ways

Jake was getting killed out there behind a kindergarten O-Line.

Plus, a loss is a loss. There is no way to rationalize a loss. How can anyone be cool with a friggin' loss?

All this "play to win" crap that Kubes has been giving us is horse****. Nothing more! He lied.

Moreover, this loss only puts us 1 win over what they did in 2009. That's only 1 game up as the Texans went on a 3 game skid. That's not very much of a turnaround - because if we were not in such a **** division, 10-6 would probably have not have gotten us in.

Sure, the Texans could go all the way and win the Super Bowl...but if they don't - and especially if they keel over in the first playoff game, I want Kubes head on a pike at uncle Bob's next charity golf function.

TheDream34
01-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Us and the packers were the only teams locked up and we both rested our starters.

EVOLVIST
01-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Us and the packers were the only teams locked up and we both rested our starters.

Green Bay won.

GP
Check this:

I know some of these team have seeding to think about, but if they were thinking like the Texans, when you're in you're in, right? :choke:

James Casey just said on the radio that the team learned Saturday that the Texans would be resting their starters.

I didn't even pay for a ticket, but if I had paid to see the Texans play I would be pissed with what they put on the field. But I have paid, in many, many ways

Plus, a loss is a loss. There is no way to rationalize a loss. How can anyone be cool with a friggin' loss?

All this "play to win" crap that Kubes has been giving us is horse****. Nothing more! He lied.

Moreover, this loss only puts us 1 win over what they did in 2009. That's only 1 game up as the Texans went on a 3 game skid. That's not very much of a turnaround - because if we were not in such a **** division, 10-6 would probably have not have gotten us in.

Sure, the Texans could go all the way and win the Super Bowl...but if they don't - and especially if they keel over in the first playoff game, I want Kubes head on a pike at uncle Bob's next charity golf function.

Agree with EVERYTHING but the last line...because Kubiak is getting dynasty-type extension in this off-season. No doubt about it. He will.

But yeah, this was a bad three weeks of Texans football after what was a great 13 weeks of Texans football.

Playoff game will be fun or it will be miserable. No in between, and I think the odds of it being miserable rose with this recent display by Kubiak (as HC of this team) to decide to lay down and do juuuuuuust enough to give off the appearance of being competitive today.

EllisUnit
Check this:

Gotta be honest, i am not mad we rested our starters. I am however mad about the end of the game, yeah go for 2 but once we had a false start kick a FG and tie the game up.

I would much rather face the titans in the play offs than cincy TBH. Do i think we should have rested our starters ? Hell yeah has anybody looked at who all we have lost this season, if foster had torn his acl, everyone would of been calling for kubiaks head.

The titans needed a lot of help regardless so i dont blame kubiak. The odds arent good for the titans as it is.

ObsiWan
01-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Check this:

Actually, New Orleans rested some starters; their starting MLB and safety sat this one out. I think one of their RB committee sat out the game too.

GB sat Rodgers.

I suspect that Belichick & Brady wanted to get back at the Bills for that loss they handed the Pats early in the season. So Bill wasn't about to sit Tom down.

Depends on who the respective coaches believe need the recovery time and what each team has to gain by going all out.

To be honest, I'm surprised Cushing played as much as he did.

TheCD
01-01-2012, 04:19 PM
No reason to be upset here, IMO. Chances are we will play them next week. On top of that we were playing a bland defense. The 2nd team defense was playing OK, and overall we hung in the game until the very end with our backups.

While I can understand the frustration, I see nothing wrong with this. The team essentially gets a mini bye week, followed by only part of a game. Plenty of rest for next week. I also was very much for the 2-point conversion and could care less that we lost. Let's make it to next week and worry about things then. Until then, even though we lost we put out a good effort and could have beat a team playing for their season with our backups.

BullNation4Life
01-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Green Bay won.

and you would be one of the first ones on this board screaming for Kubiak's head if the starters played a full game and Foster, of AJ or even Yates got hurt, and wonder why he didn't pull his starters in a game that meant nothing...

hypocrisy lives here my friend....

TdotTexas2Step
01-01-2012, 04:22 PM
New England was playing for #1 seed. Thankfully they played their starters because they were down to the Bills.

Pretty sure Baltimore and Pitt, and San Fran were/are playing for something today as well.

The Cush
01-01-2012, 04:22 PM
It's because this loss kept the TITANS' slim chance of getting into the playoffs alive. If we played any other team in this meaningless game, with this banged up squad cursed with a ridiculous injury bug all season long, there would be no issue

GP
01-01-2012, 04:23 PM
and you would be one of the first ones on this board screaming for Kubiak's head if the starters played a full game and Foster, of AJ or even Yates got hurt, and wonder why he didn't pull his starters in a game that meant nothing...

What is with this Mythic Legend of "IF the starters had been hurt everyone calls for Kubiak's head!"????

How does this get on here and accepted as fact AND as a rational excuse for what happened today? I don't get it.

Is it the idea that you can guilt trip people into looking like horrible people for wanting to "risk" the health of ANY player? LOL.

Man oh man.....I give up.

EllisUnit
01-01-2012, 04:24 PM
New England was playing for #1 seed. Thankfully they played their starters because they were down to the Bills.

Pretty sure Baltimore and Pitt, and San Fran were/are playing for something today as well.

they are/were. We are the ONLY team that was locked to a seed, the 1st 2nd and wild card were all on the line today, i see no harm in us resting our guys.

EVOLVIST
01-01-2012, 04:25 PM

Yeah. WINS! That's why people play the game.

dream_team
Seeding is important, so other teams will play for the improved seeding. The first round bye, and home field advantage, are big deals.

This isn't anything new... most coaches rest the players that need it. So why are people jumping on Kubiak?

GP
It's because this loss kept the TITANS' slim chance of getting into the playoffs alive. If we played any other team in this meaningless game, with this banged up squad cursed with a ridiculous injury bug all season long, there would be no issue

BINGO!

Do the rest of you understand the history of the AFC South in the past 10 years? Do you not understand the idea of how our divisional opponents kicked us and laughed at us for 9 years and in year 10 we have the chance to make sure ALL THREE OF THEM are sitting on their asses watching US and not preparing for a game (against us, by the way!).

A lot of Johnny Come Lately's or something, I suppose. I will never want to think that me laying down in a final reg season game allows a divisional foe the chance to get INTO the playoffs which means they could surge past us and do better than us. Why is this so hard to wrap one's mind around????

BullNation4Life
01-01-2012, 04:26 PM

True but is was a Titans team that played their starter for 4 quarters and barely, just barely won the game.

the only other team I would hive wanted to see in Reliant next week aside from the Titans, was the Jets cause Sanchez absolutely sucks. I don't care if they are a division rival, Texans know them inside and out and Titans tipped their hand this week by running that 5 wide set, now the Texans has that on film...

BullNation4Life
01-01-2012, 04:28 PM
What is with this Mythic Legend of "IF the starters had been hurt everyone calls for Kubiak's head!"????

How does this get on here and accepted as fact AND as a rational excuse for what happened today? I don't get it.

Is it the idea that you can guilt trip people into looking like horrible people for wanting to "risk" the health of ANY player? LOL.

Man oh man.....I give up.

Wes Welker, 2009....

nuff said....

dream_team
01-01-2012, 04:29 PM
BINGO!

Do the rest of you understand the history of the AFC South in the past 10 years? Do you not understand the idea of how our divisional opponents kicked us and laughed at us for 9 years and in year 10 we have the chance to make sure ALL THREE OF THEM are sitting on their asses watching US and not preparing for a game (against us, by the way!).

A lot of Johnny Come Lately's or something, I suppose. I will never want to think that me laying down in a final reg season game allows a divisional foe the chance to get INTO the playoffs which means they could surge past us and do better than us. Why is this so hard to wrap one's mind around????

Then you're letting a rivalry get to your head and not thinking big picture. Big picture is winning the Super Bowl, not just to make sure no other AFC South team makes the playoffs.

GP
Titans Beat Texans in Playoffs, Render Texans AFC South Title Useless

Boy, that'd be a nice headline to gaze at the day after, right?

We'd be laughed at and ridiculed forever. "Same old Houston team! LOL!"

The outcome of today cannot be changed. But the residue of the loss MIGHT linger and pose problems.

I'm just a proactive type personality. If you can limit the future risks, by taking risks of your own up front and early on, then why not do it? Take care of today way you shouldn't be putting off until tomorrow. I guess I'm boring like that.

EVOLVIST
True but is was a Titans team that played their starter for 4 quarters and barely, just barely won the game.

the only other team I would hive wanted to see in Reliant next week aside from the Titans, was the Jets cause Sanchez absolutely sucks. I don't care if they are a division rival, Texans know them inside and out and Titans tipped their hand this week by running that 5 wide set, now the Texans has that on film...

I believe as soon as you start talking about who you would rather play in the playoffs - whether it's the team talking about it, the media, or the fans - there is a hole inside of you somewhere where confidence used to live.

I don't give a damn who the Texans played this week, or who they play in the playoffs...I've paid, I want wins.

BullNation4Life
01-01-2012, 04:30 PM
BINGO!

that is why you need to quit living int he past and start looking forward...

TITANS BEAT THE 2nd STRING AND 3rd STRING TEXANS TEAM....

why is THAT so hard you wrap your head around?

Bunch of Negative nacy pants around here....

Wolf
01-01-2012, 04:31 PM
I would feel better playing the Titans than the Bengals (who we played away with our starters in the lineup)

ObsiWan
01-01-2012, 04:31 PM

they are/were. We are the ONLY team that was locked to a seed, the 1st 2nd and wild card were all on the line today, i see no harm in us resting our guys.

Yeah. WINS! That's why people play the game.

The Niners and the Saints are both 12-3. If the Niners lose and Saints win, the Saints become the #2 seed.

The Ravens and the Steelers are both 11-4. If the Ravens lose and the Steelers win the Steelers become AFC North champs and the Ravens drop to a wild card berth.

If New England (12-3) and the Ravens win, then the Ravens become the #1 seed.

Win or lose, we had nothing to gain. Period.

The Cush
01-01-2012, 04:32 PM

Yep. I am 100% fine with how things went down today, my original statement is a representation of how over the top people are being with their complaining. Our team is banged up, and our position is locked in..you have to be smart when there is nothing to play for this week and start preparing for next week when it truly matters.

And as I type this, 2 of the 3 teams the Titans need to win to get in are currently losing.

cdollaz
01-01-2012, 04:33 PM
I'm not mad at who we rested, but I am beyond pissed that we didn't kick the extra point when we were backed up to the 7.

GP
01-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Then you're letting a rivalry get to your head and not thinking big picture. Big picture is winning the Super Bowl, not just to make sure no other AFC South team makes the playoffs.

True. I am a Big Picture guy, no doubt. But I like my steak with A-1 sauce and not JUST how it tastes when it hits my plate.

All I am saying is we had the chance to put a moon-shining, incesting hillbilly in jail and better the NFL community, and we didn't. That's just wrong! LOL.

Wes Welker, 2009....

nuff said....

In a court of law, what you did would be called circumstantial evidence. Did Welker play today? Did he get hurt? Nuff said.

Maybe so. Better hope they don't come in and get help from refs, help from us if we stumble early and often, etc. Any given Sunday.

I am not dumb enough to try and refute that they pose a better opponent for us than another team out there. They are ripe for the picking. But there's also the general, over-arching issue of momentum. I hate the idea of a 3-game losing streak heading into a pressure-packed playoff game.

BullNation4Life
01-01-2012, 04:34 PM
I believe as soon as you start talking about who you would rather play in the playoffs - whether it's the team talking about it, the media, or the fans - there is a hole inside of you somewhere where confidence used to live.

I don't give a damn who the Texans played this week, or who they play in the playoffs...I've paid, I want wins.

When you are starting a 3rd string rookie QB who the last 2 weeks LOOKED like a 3rd string rookie QB, you want the easiest road to the Super Bowl...

and you are right, there is a hole inside of me where confidence use to be filled with, it was filled with TJ Yates...

Wolf
01-01-2012, 04:35 PM
I'm not mad at who we rested, but I am beyond pissed that we didn't kick the extra point when we were backed up to the 7.

any other situation, Kubiak would have kicked it.. he was looking to get out of there win or lose .

GP
01-01-2012, 04:35 PM

Agreed. At worst, kicking the PAT extends game time and we lose in overtime.

At best, we get the ball in OT and score a TD or FG and ice the game in dramatic fashion. We'll never know though.

TheMatrix31
01-01-2012, 04:37 PM
The problem is that they WEREN'T thinking "when you're in, you're in", precisely BECAUSE they still had seeding to play for.

The Packers rested their starters because they, much like us, were locked into their seed.

I wanted to beat the **** out of the Titans, but since I'm not coaching, I don't have control over what happens.

GP
01-01-2012, 04:37 PM
that is why you need to quit living int he past and start looking forward...

TITANS BEAT THE 2nd STRING AND 3rd STRING TEXANS TEAM....

why is THAT so hard you wrap your head around?

Bunch of Negative nacy pants around here....

Sounds a lot like "moral victory" stuff, and that's what this franchise needs to leave behind if they want to be top-tier in the future.

Patriots won 49-21 after being down 21-0.

Saints beat Panthers 45-17.

Regardless of what the Pats or Saints were playing for, they played to win. I love that type of attitude. I really do. It says, "WINNING is important." It's a mindset. A culture.

Wolf
01-01-2012, 04:38 PM
steaks aren't steaks if you have to add sauce to them.. or so my dad says
:kitten:

:good:

The Cush
01-01-2012, 04:39 PM

At best, we get the ball in OT and score a TD or FG and ice the game in dramatic fashion. We'll never know though.

Why extend the game with a short roster? So many inactives already, the starters were already done, the backup tackle got hurt, Garret Graham was playing OLB because Brahman got hurt. End the game one way or the other right there we are still the #3 seed regardless of winning or losing.

And yes, I understand you don't want to the Titans to get into the playoffs but you have to think about the Texans first. The Titans need the Ravens, Broncos, and Raiders ALL to win. Currently 2 out of those 3 teams are losing

Wolf
01-01-2012, 04:39 PM
Sounds a lot like "moral victory" stuff, and that's what this franchise needs to leave behind if they want to be top-tier in the future.

Regardless of what the Pats or Saints were playing for, they played to win. I love that type of attitude. I really do. It says, "WINNING is important." It's a mindset. A culture.

you REALLY thing Brady would play if they had the #1 seed locked up?

Hell, Manning.. the king of garbage stats sat out early one year and the jets beat them

Stemp
01-01-2012, 04:40 PM

No, at worst Delhomme or some other player gets hurt.

Kubiak made the right call going to for 2. The center just screwed up and we lost. Period.

EVOLVIST
01-01-2012, 04:41 PM

This. Must spread rep.

TheMatrix31
01-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Titans Beat Texans in Playoffs, Render Texans AFC South Title Useless

Boy, that'd be a nice headline to gaze at the day after, right?

We'd be laughed at and ridiculed forever. "Same old Houston team! LOL!"

How insecure are you? People who give a **** about what other people think of them are pathetic.

cdollaz
01-01-2012, 04:42 PM
any other situation, Kubiak would have kicked it.. he was looking to get out of there win or lose .
He should have been trying to win. I really don't care if it risks an injury to someone who will never see the field next week. If they get hurt, you sign someone off the street or call up someone from the practice squad to sit on the bench.

GP
01-01-2012, 04:42 PM
you REALLY thing Brady would play if they had the #1 seed locked up?

In 2009 vs. Texans in a final reg season game, Brady came IN and OUT of the game as the scenario dictated him to do. If they were ahead, he was pulled out. If they needed a boost, he was put in.

I believe that Bill Belichick, no matter what people think of him, wants to win so badly that he places it above all else. He rides the line as closely as he can.

YES, that's the type of culture I want my Texans to pursue and obtain and maintain. It's dynasty building, not just merely getting a first-ever playoff seed and being thrilled about it.

Myers at center, IMO, might even make the difference today.

EllisUnit
01-01-2012, 04:43 PM
On the other hand how sweet would it be to beat the crap out of the titans in the play offs, i'm actually kinda hoping they make it. I hate the titans and to beat them in the play offs would be icing on the cake to me !!!!

Wolf
01-01-2012, 04:44 PM
here you go guys..2010

CHARLOTTE -- Drew Brees watched from the sideline as the New Orleans offense failed to move the ball. He shivered on the cold Sunday afternoon as the backups on defense tried to stop Jonathan Stewart.

Just after NFL commissioner Roger Goodell talked of creating incentives to get teams that have already locked up playoff positioning to play their starters, Saints coach Sean Payton enjoyed the view of Brees with him on the sideline -- even if it meant entering the playoffs on a three-game losing streak after a 23-10 loss to the Carolina Panthers.

“The idea of getting a draft pick and having your quarterback not healthy for a divisional playoff game doesn’t sound real appealing to me,” Payton said of Goodell’s incentive idea.

Sure, the Saints (13-3) are still the No. 1 seed with home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. But what happened to the team that was once flirting with a perfect season?

“Would I have loved it if we came out here and scored 41 today? I mean, yeah,” Brees said. “But is it worth the risk? Those are the things you have to weigh. We had a formula that worked well for us in 2006 with that No. 2 seed and first-round bye. That’s what we’re following.”

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/sports/pro/football&id=7199463

BullNation4Life
01-01-2012, 04:44 PM

Who gives a F what the Pats did, they were playing for something today, they HAD to win, period.

YOu want to compare teams, compare the injuries suffered by each of those teams compared to the Texans. Any one of those teams lose their 1st string QB? How about their #1 WR for most of the year? Their #1 RB for what 4 games this year? Their star defensive player?

It had NOTHING, I'll repeat N-O-T-H-I-N-G to do with winning today and EVERYTHING to do with getting into next weeks playoff game with as healthy as they could....

The Cush
01-01-2012, 04:45 PM
He should have been trying to win. I really don't care if it risks an injury to someone who will never see the field next week. If they get hurt, you sign someone off the street or call up someone from the practice squad to sit on the bench.

Yea...Screw Ben Tate, Joel Dressen, James Casey, and even our back up QB Jake Delhomme! If they get hurt we'll just sign some scrub off the street whose talent level is in equal of scrubbiness to the aforementioned guys. We should have kept playing to go to OT to win so we could have been the #3 seed. Unfortunately we lost and are now stuck with being the #3 seed....

CloakNNNdagger
01-01-2012, 04:46 PM
The question that keeps rattling in my brain is "Has the new combination of Texans offensive and defensive starter players learned to win in the last 3 1/2 games such that they could not afford some more 'education' in this last game?"

GB, like the Texans, had it "locked up" and rested their starters. GB, unlike the Texans, don't need an extra "lecture" to learn how to win.

GP
01-01-2012, 04:46 PM
How insecure are you? People who give a **** about what other people think of them are pathetic.

What people think of you is a direct result of what you do or are.

Regardless of if it's warranted or not.

I'm to the point that I want more than just to be happy with a playoff game. Call me greedy, call me insecure, whatever. I want it all. I want the Titans and the other two AFCS teams to soak in misery and NOT get into the playoffs. I want us to beat them down every chance we get. I want us to win the playoff game no matter WHO we face. I want wins. WINS WINS WINS.

Insecure? Hardly. Greedy? Probably so.

cdollaz
01-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Yea...Screw Ben Tate, Joel Dressen, James Casey, and even our back up QB Jake Delhomme! If they get hurt we'll just sign some scrub off the street whose talent level is in equal of scrubbiness to the aforementioned guys. We should have kept playing to go to OT to win so we could have been the #3 seed. Unfortunately we lost and are now stuck with being the #3 seed....
Yep, pretty much. I would have risked it. But then again, I'm not a vag.

dtran04
Crazy how the Texans were the ONLY team in the AFC playoff picture with absolutely nothing to play for. In the NFC, it was only the Packers.

Everybody else was playing for homefield or division title.

TJ Yates got a frickin AC seperation on the very play for gods sake. I would have pulled him right there....

EVOLVIST
In 2009 vs. Texans in a final reg season game, Brady came IN and OUT of the game as the scenario dictated him to do. If they were ahead, he was pulled out. If they needed a boost, he was put in.

Right.

Ha! I know this is looking like a love fest. But that's why I said in the gameday thread, at the very least you rotate some of your starters in and out if you really want to give them a rest.

Graham at linebacker? Okay, so you couldn't have put in a real lineback for one series, just because on the previous series he was sitting on his ass with a mouth full of sunflower seeds?

EllisUnit

:clap:

The Cush
01-01-2012, 04:48 PM

They had a chance for a late comeback and it was still their back up QB playing in the 4th

Norg
01-01-2012, 04:49 PM
All thoes teams u mentiond had byes or seeding to play for nuff said / thread

Wolf
and they also lost Welker in that game

Stemp

That is why are you on a message board and not a coach. That backup may become a starter if the player ahead of him gets hurt. So if the backup get injured then the starter gets injured, you're down to a practice squad player who hasn't played a snap stepping in during a playoff game. Of course, backups never get hurt after a starter goes down, so why worry about that right?

:ohsnap:

The Cush
01-01-2012, 04:50 PM
That is why are you on a message board and not a coach.

But at least he's not a "vag"!!!

dream_team

I believe that Bill Belichick, no matter what people think of him, wants to win so badly that he places it above all else. He rides the line as closely as he can.

YES, that's the type of culture I want my Texans to pursue and obtain and maintain. It's dynasty building, not just merely getting a first-ever playoff seed and being thrilled about it.

Myers at center, IMO, might even make the difference today.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Patriots still lost. And they lost Wes Welker for the playoffs... which they ended up doing nothing in the playoffs. Talk about loss - loss.

TheMatrix31
Yeah Stemp, not like our backup to Winston got hurt or anything today.

Norg
01-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Also some of yall must not work physical jobs. Yall dont know the power of rest before a big job or game.

GP
01-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Wolf, good points to make. Thank you for searching for that and sharing it.

My only sticking point is that they had #2 seed and 1st round bye locked up. Us sitting at #3 and needing to simplify the Titans' post-regular season plans was worth the effort, IMO, of trying to win that game 100%.

Enjoyed that article, though. I'll get better as the week moves along. Already feeling the blood pressure drop a little. Just hate the AFCS rivals with a passion and can't stop thinking about losing to them and MAYBE giving them new life in playoffs. That's all.

dream_team
01-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Just hate the AFCS rivals with a passion and can't stop thinking about losing to them and MAYBE giving them new life in playoffs. That's all.

Now that, I can agree with. Personally, I would have like to have seen the starters play a little longer... but I'm not going to fault Kubiak for doing what he did.

Lucky
01-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Kubiak was 100% correct in how he handled the game today. I've never been loathe to criticize the head coach, if the criticism was earned. This criticism is not earned. This was a preseason game for the postseason. Had the Texans reserves made a play on the 2 point conversion, the Texans would have had their cake, and eaten it, too. And frankly, I'm none too upset if it is the Titans that come into Reliant again next weekend.

This is about winning in the playoffs. The Texans did nothing today that hurt their chances in the playoffs. Rather by having reserves get experience in a real game, they enhanced their chances. Well done by everyone, and I'm very much looking forward to a playoff victory in Reliant next weekend. I'm more confident now than I have been since the Bengal game. And the Texans should be confident, as well.

The Cush
01-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Just hate the AFCS rivals with a passion and can't stop thinking about losing to them and MAYBE giving them new life in playoffs. That's all.

I feel the same way about wanting to end the Titans season, but the circumstances we were under justified how today played out. There are still 3 more games that can finish them off, so we all can laugh at the Titans in potentially a little over an hour

Wolf
01-01-2012, 04:58 PM
I hope the Titans make it and we play them

Then I hope the scoreboard is a big ole middle finger when the Texans send the Titans back home with another playoff loss.. another year that Bud won't see a trophy

EVOLVIST
01-01-2012, 05:10 PM
* sigh * I'm just tired of mediocrity in this town. I've been sick and tired for years of settling.

The fact is, we should have never been in the position of being locked into the #3 seed in the first place - even with our injuries, yadda, yadda, yadda... But we did. Nothing can change that, and all my bellyaching can do nothing about this loss.

Wolf made a great post; I respect that, because I still have this image in my mind of the Texans holding the Lombardi Trophy with the first rookie QB in NFL history. :trophy:

* sigh *

I suppose my football day would go better with a New York Football Giants win tonight.

Wolf
01-01-2012, 05:18 PM
and i truly believe that if we didn't have the type of injuries that we did this year.. we would be looking at number 1 or 2 seed.

Schaub and AJ healthy would have given us 2-3 wins extra.

Dutchrudder
01-01-2012, 05:24 PM
I'm not unhappy that we lost the game. The Titans look like the most favorable matchup for us in the playoffs. I would have liked to win the game, but it's fine that we lost. Foster, OD and JJo will give us a great chance to beat our rival at home next week.

ObsiWan
01-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Kubiak was 100% correct in how he handled the game today. I've never been loathe to criticize the head coach, if the criticism was earned. This criticism is not earned. This was a preseason game for the postseason. Had the Texans reserves made a play on the 2 point conversion, the Texans would have had their cake, and eaten it, too. And frankly, I'm none too upset if it is the Titans that come into Reliant again next weekend.

This is about winning in the playoffs. The Texans did nothing today that hurt their chances in the playoffs. Rather by having reserves get experience in a real game, they enhanced their chances. Well done by everyone, and I'm very much looking forward to a playoff victory in Reliant next weekend. I'm more confident now than I have been since the Bengal game. And the Texans should be confident, as well.

I must say I'm in complete agreement with this.

Once I saw Yates move the team down the field and score on our first possession, I'd seen all I needed to see from him; especially with him getting nicked up.

It also was good to see that Jake still has something in the tank and has learned enough of the offense to move the team when necessary.

Funny I don't see anyone bitching that A.J. didn't play in the second half...

And can someone explain why Dreessen was not called out of bounds on that last TD drive. He was standing up when he stepped out of bounds. Why didn't that stop the clock???

Kimmy
01-01-2012, 05:31 PM
I hope the Titans make it and we play them

Then I hope the scoreboard is a big ole middle finger when the Texans send the Titans back home with another playoff loss.. another year that Bud won't see a trophy

I saw him today in the tunnel. Dude is OLD! Could barely get from the car to the golf cart

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/377860_10150496619614591_678819590_8569883_1548468 520_n.jpg

drunkcookie
01-01-2012, 05:37 PM
And can someone explain why Dreessen was not called out of bounds on that last TD drive. He was standing up when he stepped out of bounds. Why didn't that stop the clock???

His forward progress was stopped before he went out of bounds... I didn't rewind the DVR to watch again, but live it looked like the correct call... He was hit, stopped then went out of bounds losing yardage...

dream_team
01-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Out of curiosity...why are people angry at Kubiak, but Dreesen and Austin are getting free passes?

And please don't give me that "shouldn't have been in that position in the first place" crap. If they simply got beat because they're not good enough, that's one thing... but these guys screwed up in the most basic of plays.

dream_team
01-01-2012, 05:44 PM
His forward progress was stopped before he went out of bounds... I didn't rewind the DVR to watch again, but live it looked like the correct call... He was hit, stopped then went out of bounds losing yardage...

I don't know... looked like BS to me. Sure, he was hit which stopped forward progress... but Dreesen was still standing and no other defenders on him.

drunkcookie
01-01-2012, 05:52 PM
I don't know... looked like BS to me. Sure, he was hit which stopped forward progress... but Dreesen was still standing and no other defenders on him.

It doesn't matter if there were not other defenders on him or not, his forward progress was stopped, and while going out of bounds he was losing yardage... had he moved forward to make more yardage and then gone out of bounds that's a different story... it's called that way about 100% of the time...nothing new...

Wolf
01-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Wade played vanilla defense also.. not much scheming to show on game film

ObsiWan
01-01-2012, 06:01 PM
I saw him today in the tunnel. Dude is OLD! Could barely get from the car to the golf cart

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3xNjo4qGe2l-90WrNwBe1Bj0ent0Lf_0PdpbCUedNabPRYbNbIg

Playoffs
01-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Smart to rest the starters.

Titans are sitting in their shacks listening to the playoffs on the radio.

dream_team
01-01-2012, 06:02 PM
It doesn't matter if there were not other defenders on him or not, his forward progress was stopped, and while going out of bounds he was losing yardage... had he moved forward to make more yardage and then gone out of bounds that's a different story... it's called that way about 100% of the time...nothing new...

Ok, I guess I never understood that part of the rule in regards to going out of bounds.

Lucky
01-01-2012, 06:05 PM
The Tebows and Raiders are ruining our dream. :(

How can anyone enjoy watching a Tebow led offense? He's set pro football back 60 years. Horrible.

drunkcookie
01-01-2012, 06:10 PM
I can understand people disagreeing with Kubiak's decision to mail this one in, in regards to the majority of the starters etc..., but to be fuming over it when the game meant absolutely nothing outside of one team "possibley" making the playoffs over another is absurd...

And please, spare me this "losing culture" bullchit... Kubiak's decision today was about making sure most of his team was healthy come next week, when the game will actually count... Like I said, you can disagree with it, but don't get ridiculous and act like his decision was based on the fact that he and the Houston Texans are used to losing... he chose health over winning a meaningless game... not his worst decision as Texans coach, by far!

It's been done plenty of times before, and it will be done plenty of more times in the future... get off the man's balls on this one, he just chose the route to the first round of the playoffs that you wouldn't have... nothing more, nothing less...

TheMatrix31
01-01-2012, 06:16 PM
I can understand people disagreeing with Kubiak's decision to mail this one in, in regards to the majority of the starters etc..., but to be fuming over it when the game meant absolutely nothing outside of one team "possibley" making the playoffs over another is absurd...

And please, spare me this "losing culture" bullchit... Kubiak's decision today was about making sure most of his team was healthy come next week, when the game will actually count... Like I said, you can disagree with it, but don't get ridiculous and act like his decision was based on the fact that he and the Houston Texans are used to losing... he chose health over winning a meaningless game... not his worst decision as Texans coach, by far!

It's been done plenty of times before, and it will be done plenty of more times in the future... get off the man's balls on this one, he just chose the route to the first round of the playoffs that you wouldn't have... nothing more, nothing less...

If anything, that's WINNING culture. That's learning to look past the loser Titans (who are DONE, btw) and putting a bigger plan into place. Losers mentality would make some irrelevant douche team matter over the ultimate goal.

drunkcookie
01-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Ok, I guess I never understood that part of the rule in regards to going out of bounds.

I never understood it either... I've just seen it called that way every time, for so many times that I kind of understand it now...

I don't even know what the exact rule is in regards to the sideline and foward progress... I'm guessing it's seen as the ball-carrier not regaining control of his situation after being stopped... So instead of him losing yards and being spotted where he went out of bounds (and stopping the clock), they say his foward progress was stopped, and at the point of his forward progress being stopped he was still in bounds...

bckey
01-01-2012, 06:38 PM
[B]Agree with EVERYTHING but the last line...because Kubiak is getting dynasty-type extension in this off-season. No doubt about it. He will.[B]

After 6 years Kubiak is 47W and 49L.

GP
01-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Wade played vanilla defense also.. not much scheming to show on game film

I have to say this: Bengals have 15 other games of film on us.

Today would not factor one way or another.

I wonder if Wade stays in booth next week, or goes sideline?

bckey
01-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Agree with EVERYTHING but the last line...because Kubiak is getting dynasty-type extension in this off-season. No doubt about it. He will.

GP
01-01-2012, 06:44 PM

Sure.

But he's getting a new contract, so you know it will be a good, long contract.

Anybody thinking there's some sort of possibility McNair goes in a different direction is fooling themselves. Everyone here knows Kubiak is getting another 4 or 5 years.

The "dynasty" comment meant McNair views this as a prudent move as it relates to creating an image and stable future for the team.

Wade Phillips is a HUGE factor, though. He's the cog in the machine that sparked this season's playoff chances.

Kimmy
01-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Sure.

But he's getting a new contract, so you know it will be a good, long contract.

Anybody thinking there's some sort of possibility McNair goes in a different direction is fooling themselves. Everyone here knows Kubiak is getting another 4 or 5 years.

That makes me sick to my stomach

GP
01-01-2012, 06:51 PM
That makes me sick to my stomach

My take on it, or that it's inevitable that GK is going to be here no matter what?

I have mixed feelings. How can McNair even think about "going fishing" for a new HC? Wade Phillips turning the defense around was THE saving grace for GK.

Kimmy
01-01-2012, 06:57 PM
My take on it, or that it's inevitable that GK is going to be here no matter what?

I have mixed feelings. How can McNair even think about "going fishing" for a new HC? Wade Phillips turning the defense around was THE saving grace for GK.

That he is going to be here that long. I have wanted him gone for three years now.

GP
01-01-2012, 08:00 PM
That he is going to be here that long. I have wanted him gone for three years now.

Wade Phillips is to blame.

Wade should receive a white envelope from Kubiak that contains lots of cash.

Without a top defense, this team is last year's Texans. Period.

Kimmy
01-01-2012, 08:07 PM

I don't want Wade as HC, either.

I know, can't please everyone :/

TheMatrix31
01-01-2012, 08:09 PM

You don't think Kubiak and the offensive coaches deserve even the teeeeeeeeeeensiest amount of credit for coaching through Schaub/Leinart/Andre/Foster/Tate/Ward/Casey/Vickers/Hartmann/Brisel injuries?

utahmark
01-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Was this really a thread. We should risk hurting our chances to win a playoff game to try and win(what was for us) a preseason game. Now thats looking at the big picture.:bubbles:

GP
01-01-2012, 08:30 PM
You don't think Kubiak and the offensive coaches deserve even the teeeeeeeeeeensiest amount of credit for coaching through Schaub/Leinart/Andre/Foster/Tate/Ward/Casey/Vickers/Hartmann/Brisel injuries?

Without a sound and credible d-coord in Wade Phillips, you prove my point with that post.

Plus, Wade came in on a lockout year. Worst defense the year prior. Top 3 defense his first year.

Without a great defense SYSTEM and better players, ones that Wade shopped for by the way, then I stand by my post.

It takes a team, and Wade's arrival created that TEAM. Previous years were marked by Kubiak's handling of d-coordinators. We were not a team, it was a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest.

Hey, GK is the head coach. The whole show is HIS show. He gets to own this season, but he also owns all years prior too.

No reason we can't be adults and recognize that Wade Phillips' crew has by and large been the "it" factor. Wouldn't want him as HC, though.

EllisUnit
01-01-2012, 08:37 PM

i dont agree with that, we had a rookie in KJ and a second year CB in Quin, and then we had Wilson and Pollard at safety, say what you want but that is not a combination for success regardless of who you are. We now have Manning and JoJo which has made a dramatic difference.

You cant look at this season and not give kubiak some credit, Wade has lost Mario thats it, Kubiak has lost, Foster, Tate, Schaub, Leinart, AJ, Casey, Brisel. Now to me for us to still be 10-6 with all that has happened, despite all the offensive injuries kubiak still deserves some credit.

What kind of record do you think this team would have with the #3 ranked defense and #31 ranked offense, prob a lot worse than 10-6

SheTexan
01-01-2012, 08:37 PM
GP! Wish I could rep you for your post throughout this thread, but, must spread rep first!

#1 You play a GAME to WIN!! PERIOD!! It's that simple!!

#2 Fans pay BIGASS bucks to see their team WIN, esp against a division rival with possible playoff potential.

#3 Sitting your starters is CHEATING the fans!! I paid pretty close to $700 to watch crap football today, and I didn't appreciate that one damn bit!! If you have to lose a game, then lose it honestly!!

#4 It's a GAME of football, and with that comes injuries, etc. That's just the way the game is played. Take it in the gut and keep on playin!! If you all think six days is enough to REST those guys then you are all delusional!!

We are playing with a 3rd, and probably 4th string QB!! For gawds sake!! WHY can't you guys understand they need PRACTICE with the FIRST string if we have any chance in hell of winning in the playoffs!! I simply DO NOT understand this attitude that it's OK to rest your starters!! It's a game of football, not Daddy Daycare!!!

wildroot
01-01-2012, 08:44 PM

.500 ball since Schaub went down....nothing to write home about.

gary
01-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Aren't the players paid to win football games? It is that simple for me.

EllisUnit
01-01-2012, 08:48 PM
.500 ball since Schaub went down....nothing to write home about.

i'm sorry but its hard to shot a gun with the wrong bullets. You can do it but the results may not be what u'd like. i hope you understand that.

clutch
01-01-2012, 08:49 PM
The only people that should be mad are me and the 71000 plus that were at the game...really would have liked a win...

wildroot
01-01-2012, 08:49 PM
GP! Wish I could rep you for your post throughout this thread, but, must spread rep first!

#2 Fans pay BIGASS bucks to see their team WIN, esp against a division rival with possible playoff potential.

#3 Sitting your starters is CHEATING the fans!! I paid pretty close to $700 to watch crap football today, and I didn't appreciate that one damn bit!! If you have to lose a game, then lose it honestly!!

#4 It's a GAME of football, and with that comes injuries, etc. That's just the way the game is played. Take it in the gut and keep on playin!! If you all think six days is enough to REST those guys then you are all delusional!!

We are playing with a 3rd, and probably 4th string QB!! For gawds sake!! WHY can't you guys understand they need PRACTICE with the FIRST string if we have any chance in hell of winning in the playoffs!! I simply DO NOT understand this attitude that it's OK to rest your starters!! It's a game of football, not Daddy Daycare!!!

Probably the people that are defending Kubiak for resting the starters are the same ones that were going balistic 2 years ago when teams were resting their starters during the final week that kept us on the outside with our noses pressed up against the glass.

EllisUnit
01-01-2012, 08:53 PM

lawyers and judges and juriors are paid to put away the criminal and free the innocent, that works so well, ask Casey Anthony...

Yeah Gary i agree, all these guys are pros rather they are 1st or 3rd string, but the talent does have a big drop off.

Maddict5
01-01-2012, 09:30 PM
so we make the playoffs and people are still bitching? :yawn:

i thought we said that once we started winning we wouldnt be such whiny mf'ers.

my thoughts on the game: we were back to our best today. running game killing it, qb making the throws he needs to and good pass rush. we play our starters we kill the titans like in week 7. this team had the look back and ive no doubt we win next week once we keep green in check

Lucky
01-01-2012, 09:51 PM
This is getting real old. Whining about other's posts is pointless and off topic.

EVOLVIST
01-01-2012, 09:57 PM

my thoughts on the game: we were back to our best today. running game killing it, qb making the throws he needs to and good pass rush. we play our starters we kill the titans like in week 7. this team had the look back and ive no doubt we win next week once we keep green in check

Back to our best today? We lost today.

Wouldn't be so whiny once they started winning? Well, the Texans have lost 3 in a row.

In fact, like I've stated before, you'll notice that 10-6 is just one game above the 9-7 season in 2009. Hell, the Titans posted a 9-7 record this year!

I'm sorry if I just can't accept 3 losses in a row - let alone one of them!

In my opinion we had the players to go to the playoffs, and beyond, several years ago, and though I think we can go all the way to the Super Bowl this year - and win it - these last 3 losses still feels like crap.

I'll be amped next Saturday at 3:30pm. But right now I'm still reeling from 3 games of crap football. I don't settle anymore.

Maddict5
01-01-2012, 09:58 PM
This is getting real old. Whining about other's posts is pointless and off topic.

trust me i dont really care. was just an observation & i just think it speaks volumes about the boards ability to look big picture that this is the most active post-game thread on the day our first playoff game is finalised

amazing80
01-01-2012, 10:01 PM

Wouldn't be so whiny once they started winning? Well, the Texans have lost 3 in a row.

In fact, like I've stated before, you'll notice that 10-6 is just one game above the 9-7 season in 2009. Hell, the Titans posted a 9-7 record this year!

In my opinion we had the players to go to the playoffs, and beyond, several years ago, and though I think we can go all the way to the Super Bowl this year - and win it - these last 3 losses still feels like crap.

I'll be amped next Saturday at 3:30pm. But right now I'm still reeling from 3 games of crap football. I don't settle anymore.

This loss was not black and white like you are making it out to be. We lost sure, but our starters were dominating them and we took them and still kept up with them. They played lights out trying to earn a playoff spot and we played our backups backups and still almost won. If you aren't excited about that then may Tebow have mercy on your soul

GP
01-01-2012, 10:02 PM
What kind of record do you think this team would have with the #3 ranked defense and #31 ranked offense, prob a lot worse than 10-6

Well, that's a scenario that hasn't happened...so it's not valid, IMO.

The scenario we have is this: Good offense for several years but crappy defense every year along with it, and then the defense turns around and equals the offense's output (it's first year out of the gate, btw)...BAM! we got a playoff game.

Had Wade Phillips been HC and we had a top defense all these years, and they bring in Gary Kubiak who shopped in the off-season for his groceries and brings home the bacon with us making the playoffs (a "flipped table" scenario) then I'm sitting here today saying all this about Kubiak not Phillips.

It's the nature of the beast. One came first, the other came next, but one pushed us over the top. It is what it is, IMO. I would have been saying Kubiak deserved the better seat at the table of honor here.

Maddict5
01-01-2012, 10:05 PM

like i said big picture...

for yrs fans were moaning (probably correct) that these meaningless late season games which we won were the ones that saved kubiak. the whole 5-7 thing etc...

now that the team was able to lose these this yr by clinching the playoffs early, they're suddenly being transformed as vital games. we played well today- our backups and 3rd stringers (with nothing to play for) went toe to toe with a team playing for their playoff lives

EVOLVIST
01-01-2012, 10:09 PM
trust me i dont really care. was just an observation & i just think it speaks volumes about the boards ability to look big picture that this is the most active post-game thread on the day our first playoff game is finalised

Hey man, much respect, but our first playoff game was finalised 4 games ago, and since then our team has done nothing to look like a playoff team.

Amazing80 - maybe we should have played our backups against the Colts, too? There might have been better results.

I'm not trying to be an ass, here. But I'm talking about more of a body work that just makes this loss feel extra special.

gary
01-01-2012, 10:12 PM
lawyers and judges and juriors are paid to put away the criminal and free the innocent, that works so well, ask Casey Anthony...

Yeah Gary i agree, all these guys are pros rather they are 1st or 3rd string, but the talent does have a big drop off.I meant that I feel the starters should have been playing.

GP
01-01-2012, 10:13 PM

Well Grandma, who do you think I was thinking of when I made that post to begin with? YOU!

When I met you at the Raiders game, I instantly knew why you are so well-liked on here and amongst your pals at the games on Sundays. You are VERY die-hard Texans football, all the way to your soul.

I kept thinking of you guys who march to Kirby every home game, what you endured for these 10 years. I felt today's "strategy" was a knock against all of you who stood by them when they were awful or at best "mediocre." You guys who attend the game deserved to see a win today since next Saturday holds no guarantee of a win.

Yup.

The only people that should be mad are me and the 71000 plus that were at the game...really would have liked a win...

Yup.

Yup.

I also have a short memory when it comes to winning. Oh, you WON last Sunday? Great...that's awesome....but win TODAY too, please?

I'm greedy like that. I'm not saying I'm better than the ones who hold a different opposing stance in this thread than me, so you guys don't take it the wrong way. I think for some people, it's just different outlook. Not better than YOUR take or any other's take, just different.

This loss was not black and white like you are making it out to be. We lost sure, but our starters were dominating them and we took them and still kept up with them. They played lights out trying to earn a playoff spot and we played our backups backups and still almost won. If you aren't excited about that then may Tebow have mercy on your soul

I love the the Tebow have mercy on your soul part. LOL. Witty and clever.

And I also agree with you in THIS post of yours. I just want to know why Kubiak and the gang wouldn't try to put in the BEST players on the two-point conversion and just completely obliterate the Titans on the 2-point conversion attempt???

That would have been awesome. BLAMMO! A bazooka shell to their faces at close range. Talk about a statement play if it happened that way. Instead, some Austin guy snaps the ball over Delhomme's head and we get ZERO chance to convert the attempt. How deflating was that? It was entirely deflating, for me.

Now imagine you paid $700 like SheTexan did, like she has all her Texans life, and you know the sore feelings.

ObsiWan
01-01-2012, 10:18 PM

And seeing as how our current starting QB got a bruised shoulder in the first series, Kubiak was right to minimize injuries.

A.J. doesn't seem to have any issue with today's outcome (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/32662/three-things-we-learned-about-the-texans).

“Nobody’s disappointed,” said receiver Andre Johnson (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/4461/andre-johnson), who estimated he played 15 snaps as he worked back from a hamstring injury. “Of course we wanted to win the game. We didn’t come out on top, but there is next week. Some teams don’t have next week. We have next week.”

“Those first couple drives, we kind of had that swagger back a little bit,” said quarterback T.J. Yates, (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14114/tj-yates) who left the game (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/32647/houstons-yates-we-we-just-being-safe) with a bruise of his non-throwing shoulder in the first quarter. “Everybody was aggressive, flying around, very talkative on the sideline. It felt like we were back to normal out there.”

But I guess y'all think A.J. and T.J. are full of it...
They're looking ahead to the playoffs... we all should be
:D

EllisUnit
01-01-2012, 10:23 PM

The scenario we have is this: Good offense for several years but crappy defense every year along with it, and then the defense turns around and equals the offense's output (it's first year out of the gate, btw)...BAM! we got a playoff game.

Had Wade Phillips been HC and we had a top defense all these years, and they bring in Gary Kubiak who shopped in the off-season for his groceries and brings home the bacon with us making the playoffs (a "flipped table" scenario) then I'm sitting here today saying all this about Kubiak not Phillips.

It's the nature of the beast. One came first, the other came next, but one pushed us over the top. It is what it is, IMO. I would have been saying Kubiak deserved the better seat at the table of honor here.

My whole point was that Kubiak deserves some credit here, the offense has been very good every since kubiak came to town. So everyone cant just give wade all the glory like they are all wanting too.

ObsiWan
01-01-2012, 10:40 PM
My whole point was that Kubiak deserves some credit here, the offense has been very good every since kubiak came to town. So everyone cant just give wade all the glory like they are all wanting too.

Kubiak's offense without a decent defense was worth 6-9 wins/year. Wade's D has brought us the other 2-4 wins that gets us into the playoffs. And should keep getting us into the playoffs for the foreseeable future.

It's simple math really

GP
01-01-2012, 10:43 PM

I think Wade deserves a LOT of credit. Of course I won't say he gets it "all."

But he gets the lion's share of it.

I mean, what if it was truly reversed?

Wade Phillips has been head coach for five years prior. The team is consistently GOOD on defense. We lose games by scores of 10-6 or 21-17, etc. If we JUST had an offense that could put up better points, and more consistently, we'd be good to go for a playoff appearance.

So in the offseason in 2011, McNair hires Kubiak who had just been fired as head coach of the Broncos during the 2010 season. "Oh boy, look! Another Houston guy. Local guy. Great."

Kubiak inherits a pretty anemic bunch of players on offense. He immediately is able to land a good QB and a better RB in free agency. He had been targeting a certain player, but Rick Smith and Kubiak drop that target and grab TWO good players instead of one. Next, in the draft, he's given all draft picks except one round where Wade chooses a guy on defense. Kubiak nails his picks.

The lockout ends up being a hurdle for Kubiak, though. He's got a limited amount of time to work with his guys. He has new guys who are new to him, new to the team, the playbook he has, etc. he's shifting guys from RT to LT because he identifies they were not playing in the right place. In fact, the whole Kubiak offense is new to the team and the players on offense are learning the concept in a short span of time.

Wade's defense does what it has done for the past few years, but Kubiak's guys are plowing over people like gang busters as well. In fact, it's a situation of going from worst to almost first in one wild lockout-shortened season.

Ellis, to me (and this is just me), Kubiak would be getting the praise from me right now if this were the case. It's just natural to do so. The odds are not in favor of what Wade Phillips and the defense did this season. It's the best story in the 2011 NFL, actually, and it's been largely ignored and barely given any legs in the national sports media.

ThaShark316
01-01-2012, 10:48 PM

****ing THANK YOU.

Jules18
01-01-2012, 11:01 PM
The only reason I was a bit irritated was because IT'S THE TITANS. OMG. Thank God they did not get in. lmao.

Honestly though I would rather see your Texans play Cincy. Division games are often tough to call no matter what. Cincy also has a rookie QB and has struggled a lot vs. winning teams.

Resting starters can suck but keep in mind in 2009 the Saints lost 3 straight games to end the season and the Colts tanked the last game and a half and were in the SB.

Second Honeymoon
01-01-2012, 11:01 PM
This game meant nothing
Andre got some snaps and some contact
No starters got hurt, Yates should be ok
It's all about Saturday, can they punk the Bengals...

Go Texans

Lucky
01-01-2012, 11:26 PM
I don't see a lot of hypocrisy. Many of those who are upset about the Texans resting starters are the same fans who complained in '09 about the Colts resting starters late in the season versus the Jets. I said then that the Colts earned the privilege to rest those players because they won when it counted. Just as the Texan earned that right by clinching the division in week 14. So I just see it as a difference in opinion. Play to win (regardless of the circumstances) or play smart (considering the circumstances).

GP
01-01-2012, 11:38 PM
I don't see a lot of hypocrisy. Many of those who are upset about the Texans resting starters are the same fans who complained in '09 about the Colts resting starters late in the season versus the Jets. I said then that the Colts earned the privilege to rest those players because they won when it counted. Just as the Texan earned that right by clinching the division in week 14. So I just see it as a difference in opinion. Play to win (regardless of the circumstances) or play smart (considering the circumstances).

This ^^^^^^

Runner
01-02-2012, 12:04 AM
I thought the Texans played it smart today. The players that were in played hard, Delhomme got some action, and some key players got some rest.

The team momentum was killed the previous two games. This game didn't change that.

Nitrofish
01-02-2012, 12:40 AM
BINGO!

They could barely beat our backups, what makes you think they would have been any competition come Wildcard Weekend?

I would have been happy to see them somehow sneak in and face a healthy Texans team. Listening to their fans all week go on and on, only to have their dreams crushed when it counted.

I would say the Bengals are a much better team than the Titans this season and have many big play guys who can take it to the house.

IMHO big picture thinking is a better way to describe it.

Air Canada
01-02-2012, 12:43 AM
Check this:

I'm pretty sure off this post.... you don't know much about NFL football... For that I'm sorry... What we did yesterday was pretty common and given the circumstances a pretty good decision.

THERE IS NO COMPARISON TO ANY OF THOSE OTHER TEAMS.... NONE.
:whistles:

Vinnie
01-02-2012, 01:01 AM

Well put. MSR

Nitrofish
01-02-2012, 01:21 AM

Buying a ticket does not guarantee wins. You are buying a ticket to be entertained, and while it is much more entertaining to see your team win, watching your team play is entertaining even if they lose. You get your money's worth either way.

I think beer prices should be more of a reason to be angry IMHO. :smiliepalm:

Vinnie
01-02-2012, 01:34 AM
Buying a ticket does not guarantee wins. You are buying a ticket to be entertained, and while it is much more entertaining to see your team win, watching your team play is entertaining even if they lose. You get your money's worth either way.

Damn effing straight!

Scooter
01-02-2012, 01:59 AM
i havent read many posts, but for those who were "forced to sit through" watching our backups, get over it. see the forest.

with as many injuries as we've suffered this season, including 3 all-pro's being on IR or missing most of the season (how many division winners can ever claim that?), i'm not sure how anyone can complain about us trying to get healthy going into the postseason. j-jo's been nursing muscle pains the whole season, we're going to need foster carrying the load, and our #1 receiver (daniels) needs his rest while our #1 weapon (AJ) needs little more than to knock the rust off.

we lose a starter per win ... forgive me if i'm content watching our future "next man up" guys make plays on a team that has barely survived (literally) to make it this far. and our backups made their point ... we were a few noobs away from delhomme winning with our preseason squad against a divisional opponent in full week 17 desperation mode.

Norg
01-02-2012, 02:11 AM
I need to re watch but what ive seen i thought Jake and our backups played pretty good

im just glad jake got some reps something tells me hes going to see some time in the Post season "Knocks on wood:

SheTexan
01-02-2012, 06:00 AM

Sounds to me like you had to many of those high priced beers before you made this post!!

I have NEVER missed a Texan home game, I fork over approx 700 bucks each game!!. I WAS NOT ENTERTAINED YESTERDAY, and I DEFINITELY DID NOT get my money's worth!!!

We played the hated Titans in a game that could have put them in the playoffs. HELLO!!! Take your enemy out when you have the chance, not wait and let them refuel and then come back and kick your ass!! JMO!! THANKS to the football gawds above we don't have to worry about that now, but, on any given Sunday anything can happen, and losing to the damn Titans two weeks in a row was JUST NOT acceptable thinking to me.

It's over now, and we have Cincy to worry about! I've been ticked off many times over the past ten years, and I'm sure yesterday won't be the last time. I'm a TEXAN fan, and I've certainly learned to take the bad with very little good! Our boys got us to the playoffs this year, and I'll ride the ride for as long as it last this year, and then I'll be back for more next year!!

GOOOOOO TEXANS!!!

Nitrofish
01-02-2012, 06:48 AM
Sounds to me like you had to many of those high priced beers before you made this post!!

I have NEVER missed a Texan home game, I fork over approx 700 bucks each game!!. I WAS NOT ENTERTAINED YESTERDAY, and I DEFINITELY DID NOT get my money's worth!!!

We played the hated Titans in a game that could have put them in the playoffs. HELLO!!! Take your enemy out when you have the chance, not wait and let them refuel and then come back and kick your ass!! JMO!! THANKS to the football gawds above we don't have to worry about that now, but, on any given Sunday anything can happen, and losing to the damn Titans two weeks in a row was JUST NOT acceptable thinking to me.

It's over now, and we have Cincy to worry about! I've been ticked off many times over the past ten years, and I'm sure yesterday won't be the last time. I'm a TEXAN fan, and I've certainly learned to take the bad with very little good! Our boys got us to the playoffs this year, and I'll ride the ride for as long as it last this year, and then I'll be back for more next year!!

GOOOOOO TEXANS!!!

LOL... I was drinking Rum actually but that is another story. (In My Best Jack Sparrow Voice)

Ouch $700 a game is allot, and I can surely understand how that might make you feel cheated when the 2's and 3's are in there. Having said that, I must ask you this however...

Are you saying that the big pictures does not matter to you, and that the actual loss or potential loss of a key player(s) in a game against that enemy is worth it knowing you have more important battles to fight?

While the outcome of the game was not as satisfying as a win, are you saying that you did not smile, nor be entertained at any point during the game?

There were allot of folks there today, some who spent less than you, and obviously some who spent more. I heard a great deal of cheering, allot of happy faces most of the game and I take that a sign that people were entertained. Again... not as entertaining or as satisfying an ending as we hope for, but entertaining none the less.

I felt like the 2's and 3's played hard out there and were very entertaining! I mean the ball getting knocked loose with a vicious hit from a backup player when all hope was lost was very entertaining. It wiped that silly smile right of Munchak's face.

A TD to pull within 1 point with seconds left to a player that has been virtually invisible all season long seems pretty entertaining to me. Heck even the ball getting snapped over Delhomme's head was pretty entertaining. Maddening, but entertaining none the less.

Was it worth $700? Hmmm... Only you can determine that, but in terms of entertainment, I think the game was filled with that until the final snap.

I can't imagine that Titans or their fans feel very good after knowing they could barely beat our bench warmers with so much on the line. That in itself has got to be worth something right?

Yeah the Titans won, but they are going home, and we are going to the Playoffs.

SheTexan
01-02-2012, 07:06 AM
I understand the theory of resting starters Nitrofish, and I certainly understand the "entertainment" side of the coin. I'm old school, and I love the GAME of football, so yes, watching even the scrubs play should have been "entertaining." Against any other team maybe it would have been. I'm very competitive, and believe in taking out your enemy when you have the chance. If we played the game solely on all the "what ifs" you posted, this would be a very disappointing and boring game. There should be NO "what if's!!!" Just go out and play the friggin game and quit making it into something it wasn't intended to be. DISHONEST!! It leads to delusional thinking. For instance!! Say we win the SB. Every Titan fan in the hills of Tenn will be bragging about BEATING the SB winners!! Did they REALLY beat the SB winners?? Well, you get my point. It's a game, injuries are part of the game, and FEAR of injury is not a reason to quit the game!! JMO

ObsiWan
01-02-2012, 07:22 AM

Damn!! $700!!! No wonder you be pissed.
For that kinda money I better be sitting with Uncle Bob!

Kthx
01-02-2012, 08:35 AM
I was trying to cheer you guys up and entertain you with some sort of photoshopped picture of Braman on Alien guys head but it turns out I really suck at this kinda thing so I will just post both pictures and hope you get it.

Enjoy,
Matt.

-----

http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/p/sp/getty/26/fullj.81988e7a68900d78ee920d8111e9ba5c/81988e7a68900d78ee920d8111e9ba5c-getty-136319218.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e64/DEATHSTRIKE-117/ancient-aliens-guy.png

El Tejano
01-02-2012, 08:36 AM
I wouldn't have gone for the xtra point FG in a game that meant nothing to us, just to extend it into OT and risk more injury. We had Garret Graham playing LB guys.

Delhomme was getting hit. Wanna risk an injury to yet another QB?

If anything I was looking at our backups thinking about how our backups were making some plays. If Dobbins is going to hit like that, I'd like to have him in our playoff game alot more. I kept thinking that the backup team was the Texans team we used to see every Sunday before this season. Our really good team was sitting down eating sunflower seeds. To me that was encouraging going into the playoffs. And for us to have a chance to win at the end of the game - with our backups?

I wanted to be 11-5 before the seasons end, but 11-5 didn't give us the bye. Most of us feared in the middle of the season that this game was going to be the one to decide if we'd make the playoffs. It wasn't. We sealed it up. Be mad at the loss to the Colts and Panthers but not this one. Did those wins against Jville, Chicago and New England at the end of the season to make us 8-8 and 9-7 do anything for us? Nope. They didn't put us in the playoffs the following year.

And to all those who said it shows we are barely division champs in a Manningless AFC South guess what...the rest of the division didn't play against Manning either and they played mostly the same teams we played too and we even still loss to the Colts. Yet we didn't have our star starters for alot of games.

Oh and by the way.....we play this coming week. Alot of teams are doing what the Texans did for the past 10 years around this time.....WATCHING FOOTBALL!

EVOLVIST
01-02-2012, 08:42 AM

In this particular instance I was not referring to the monetary expenditures I've given to this team and the Houston team in the past, but since we're going there...

Football is a multi-billion dollar entertainment industry - and though I'm stating the obvious - I say this not expecting to be thoroughly entertained every time to my liking, yet I am expected to be entertained commiserate to the level of entertainment this particular industry has to offer. This is especially true for a city like Houston with such a rich football history, though we have not won a meaningful championship game since 1961 (and some would argue it wasn't that meaningful).

In other words, since there are different levels of entertainment, I'm expecting one of the highest out of football, specifically the Houston Texans. But what I feel I'm getting here - especially yesterday - is vaudeville, when I paid for Le Nozze di Figaro. So instead of getting Gottlob Frick, they're giving me Al Jolson. That's just not going to wash.

GlassHalfFull
01-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Damn!! $700!!! No wonder you be pissed.
For that kinda money I better be sitting with Uncle Bob!

You need to understand Grandma, this isn't for one ticket, she brings her whole gaggle with her. And since she is generous and wonderful, she treats.

http://www.wildcarebayarea.org/images/content/pagebuilder/14378.jpg

santo
01-02-2012, 09:19 AM
This may be sort of off topic, but I admire Foster and Andre. They didn't seem to mind sitting out (at least to me it didn't), even if it meant Foster not reaching 2,000 yards. Sort of rare to see NFL players having fun playing football and not worry about their individual stats.

Pay the man, Rick!

EVOLVIST
01-02-2012, 09:24 AM
I'm pretty sure off this post.... you don't know much about NFL football... For that I'm sorry... What we did yesterday was pretty common and given the circumstances a pretty good decision.

THERE IS NO COMPARISON TO ANY OF THOSE OTHER TEAMS.... NONE.
:whistles:

Ah, I see. It's come to someone resorting to personal jabs.

I understand the strategy of yesterday's game. Yesterday's game was a strategy of "acceptable losses." I come from a military background, where the theory of acceptable losses are as antiquated as the last time Canada was a major player on the world's stage, i.e. 1918.

Using our vast collective knowledge of the NFL, then, we might as well daintify our verbiage of the game and dispense with such battle hardened terms like, "in the trenches," "blitzing," the long bomb," ground attack" and a myriad other terms that typifies a hard as nails game where winning, above all else, has been the soup de jour for so many years, until now...when we've decided to emasculate the thing.

Because if we are going to continue to marry the two - real conflict and the one on the gridiron - then we're also going to have to accept that no loss is acceptable, not under any circumstances; just as much as every life is sacred, every win is sacred. Like life, once you lose that game, you're never going to get that chance back.

And it's this culture of winning - or rather, in the case of Houston, the death-culture of acceptable losses - that has kept a head coach in the losing column his whole career. It is what kept the British army safe at Gallipoli, while the Australians were used as cannon fodder (acceptable losses). It is what killed nearly 4,000 Canadians at Vimy Ridge (acceptable losses).

No, there are no acceptable losses.

(Unless we're here to have our milquetoast and eat it too.)

otisbean
01-02-2012, 10:19 AM
To me, given that this game meant absolutely nothing to the standings or playoff position, I'm glad they rested the main guys. I would have been completely bummed to have Cushing, Ryans, Foster, AJ, OD ect... not be able to play next week because they got injured in a meaningless game. Plus, I actually like the young guys getting some actual game experience.

Hopefully the strategy pays off and we kick ass net week, when the game couldn't be more important.

drunkcookie
01-02-2012, 10:27 AM

I can get being upset by not being entertained when you paid to be, but you do not have to attempt to further justify your frustration with the point quoted above, which is a poor one... Will the Bengals not be our enemy this Saturday? The Raiders wouldn't have been an enemy? Jets potential ally and coming to Reliant for peace talks? They all want the same thing: to beat the Texans and move on to the second round of the playoffs... None of them are our friends...

I was hoping to play one of two teams in the first round, the Jets or Titans... After yesterday, i was hoping more and more for the Titans...there would be no "refueling", what you saw is what you get from them, and that's a team that struggled against our second and third teamers... How could they feel confident in themselves coming in here for a playoff game knowing that what they saw week 7 probably wasn't an anomaly, that the Texans probably would have rolled them again had they really wanted to? And to think, they've only had to account for Dre 15 plays this year... Man, I'm actually almost pissed we're not playing them again...

But back to being entertained, besides not having your team's stars out there, how is having a team a two point conversion away from winning the game with 14 ticks on the clock not entertaining? I think it has more to do about who was not on the field, and not what happened on the field...

I'm glad most of our starters got a non-bye bye week... I think they needed the break more than a win... But we can all disagree to disagree, as it's not a big deal whatsoever in regards to the team and the rest of its season...

ObsiWan
01-02-2012, 10:31 AM
You need to understand Grandma, this isn't for one ticket, she brings her whole gaggle with her. And since she is generous and wonderful, she treats.

http://www.wildcarebayarea.org/images/content/pagebuilder/14378.jpg

Aaaah...
Okay. That makes sense.
I should have guessed.
:smiliepalm:

SheTexan
01-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Aaaah...
Okay. That makes sense.
I should have guessed.
:smiliepalm:

LOL! Last year to do that too!!

Maybe I need to cut down on the amount of money I spend on tailgating every week, PLUS, all the extra's the kids con me out of during the game! What can I say, I'm a wuss when it comes to my grandkids!!:heart:

Money spent is truly NOT my point! I just believe in playing EVERY game to WIN! Guess that's my competitive spirit talking. I truly believe the fans are cheated when our best team is not out on that field, regardless of the circumstances!

I'm OLD SCHOOL people!!! I remember back in the day when playing pro football was sorta a second job. Those guys just went out and played the friggin game with all their heart and soul, limping on and off the field, played with broken bones, bruised ribs, whatever! This day and age a player gets a hangnail and he gets to ride the pine. I realize the game has escalated, and it's all about the money. Just stating my opinion, since this is what this board is for. I understand what they are doing and why, I just don't agree with that line of thinking. PLUS!! I LOVE to :stirpot:

:shetexan:

The Cush
01-02-2012, 11:58 AM
People still can't put their pride aside and look at the bigger picture because they wanted to be able to talk ******* to the Titans fan base about beating their team in a meaningless game for us? If you are one of those who aren't OK with resting our starters yesterday, guys like Arian with a swollen knee, OD who looked to hyperextend his knee a few weeks ago, Andre and his messed up hamstrings, then you should NEVER be OK with it. You should have been up in arms when Andre didn't step back onto the field after injuring his other hamstring in the Falcons game, pissed Yates with his apparent AC shoulder joint separation didn't trot back out there yesterday, or angry Foster didn't play and gimp his way through the following weeks after going down in the 49ers preseason game. In fact the starters should play all 4 quarters in every preseason game right? That is the attitude you are coming off with when you say they all should have played yesterday, they owe it to the entertainment aspect of the game to ride these guys out no matter how hurt they are and how meaningless a game is. If you read the quotes from the players, they all feel fortunate they got their extra rest and are focused on the PLAYOFFS. But the fact that it was the Titans we were playing trumps any logic of preserving guys for the playoffs in some people's minds. They still didn't make the playoffs, and we are still the #3 seed who will be playing the Bengals next week at home. All that still would have happened if we had won yesterday.

The argument that we weren't playing to win also makes ZERO sense. Our 2nd and 3rd unit, mixed in with even some of our 1st unit guys, played their asses off and kept this game close against a team fighting for their season. If we played our starters the entire game and were put in the same situation where we were down 1 late, I'm 10000000000% sure we still would have gone for the 2 point conversion. And no, it wouldn't have been smart to send out our starters just for the 2 point conversion, they weren't warm. Do you walk up to a bench press immediately after entering the gym and max out without warming up in the slightest? Yes, if you feel like tearing some muscles

Texecutioner
01-02-2012, 12:04 PM
LOL! Last year to do that too!!

Maybe I need to cut down on the amount of money I spend on tailgating every week, PLUS, all the extra's the kids con me out of during the game! What can I say, I'm a wuss when it comes to my grandkids!!:heart:

Money spent is truly NOT my point! I just believe in playing EVERY game to WIN! Guess that's my competitive spirit talking. I truly believe the fans are cheated when our best team is not out on that field, regardless of the circumstances!

I'm OLD SCHOOL people!!! I remember back in the day when playing pro football was sorta a second job. Those guys just went out and played the friggin game with all their heart and soul, limping on and off the field, played with broken bones, bruised ribs, whatever! This day and age a player gets a hangnail and he gets to ride the pine. I realize the game has escalated, and it's all about the money. Just stating my opinion, since this is what this board is for. I understand what they are doing and why, I just don't agree with that line of thinking. PLUS!! I LOVE to :stirpot:

You know both of my grandmothers are gone now (God rest their souls). I could use another one, and especially if they're a Texans fan. :thisbig:

SheTexan
01-02-2012, 12:08 PM
People still can't put their pride aside and look at the bigger picture because they wanted to be able to talk ******* to the Titans fan base about beating their team in a meaningless game for us? If you are one of those who aren't OK with resting our starters yesterday, guys like Arian with a swollen knee, OD who looked to hyperextend his knee a few weeks ago, Andre and his messed up hamstrings, then you should NEVER be OK with it. You should have been up in arms when Andre didn't step back onto the field after injuring his other hamstring in the Falcons game, pissed Yates with his apparent AC shoulder joint separation didn't trot back out there yesterday, or angry Foster didn't play and gimp his way through the following weeks after going down in the 49ers preseason game. In fact the starters should play all 4 quarters in every preseason game right? That is the attitude you are coming off with when you say they all should have played yesterday, they owe it to the entertainment aspect of the game to ride these guys out no matter how hurt they are and how meaningless a game is. If you read the quotes from the players, they all feel fortunate they got their extra rest and are focused on the PLAYOFFS. But the fact that it was the Titans we were playing trumps any logic of preserving guys for the playoffs in some people's minds. They still didn't make the playoffs, and we are still the #3 seed who will be playing the Bengals next week at home. All that still would have happened if we had won yesterday.

The argument that we weren't playing to win also makes ZERO sense. Our 2nd and 3rd unit, mixed in with even some of our 1st unit guys, played their asses off and kept this game close against a team fighting for their season. If we played our starters the entire game and were put in the same situation where we were down 1 late, I'm 10000000000% sure we still would have gone for the 2 point conversion. And no, it wouldn't have been smart to send out our starters just for the 2 point conversion, they weren't warm. Do you walk up to a bench press immediately after entering the gym and max out without warming up in the slightest? Yes, if you feel like tearing some muscles

They get PAID to play the GAME of football!!! I don't think anyone is saying they should play if they have a serious injury!!! IF they were able to play, they should have been out on the field playing!! PERIOD!! I don't get to sit on my ass at my job just because I'm tired!!

Norg
01-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Just like to add i enjoyed seeing our backups b team or c team or whatever u wanna call them play

seeing Braman play was badass

Seeing casey catch some balls was cool

finally seeing Brandon Harris out there prob our future CB out there was neat

and years from now we can say remember when we seen jake delhomne play in a texans Uni LOL

ChampionTexan
01-02-2012, 12:14 PM
LOL!

I understand, and don't begrudge anyone their opinion on that, but I believe in playing every game to win the NFL championship, and yesterday was one of those rare occasions where playing to win the championship was somewhat at odds with playing to win the specific game. I couldn't agree more with the way the Texans organization handled things.

The Texans had little to nothing to gain by winning the game, and lots to lose by risking players - even 2nd and 3rd stringers during an overtime period.

utahmark
01-02-2012, 12:14 PM
They get PAID to play the GAME of football!!! I don't think anyone is saying they should play if they have a serious injury!!! IF they were able to play, they should have been out on the field playing!! PERIOD!! I don't get to sit on my ass at my job just because I'm tired!!

I'm sorry but even though I know your not you sound like one of those club level guys. Just going to the game to be entertained, maybe taking one of you clients and drinking some high dollar drinks. Pissed because you did'nt get your moneys worth and not carring how it's going to effect they chances of your team to win a playoff game if AJ, Cushing or some other starter gets a major injury and is out for the playoff's.

I want this team to win a playoff game and could care less how many people felt like they waisted their money this week.

GP
01-02-2012, 12:15 PM

Preach it.

Cush is acting like snapping a football and shoving a defender for 4 seconds on the 2-point conversion play is akin to bench pressing max weight without working up to it. LOL.

On the final drive, Kubiak could have had his starting o-linemen warming up and stretching and getting ready in case we DID need them for the 2-point conversion. It's just a minor thing, but it's possible that the guys could have stepped in for one final play SINCE WE WEREN'T GOING TO GO TO OVERTIME ANYWAYS. Right? One last play, one last hurrah to beat the Titans.

Wolf
01-02-2012, 12:16 PM
In this particular instance I was not referring to the monetary expenditures I've given to this team and the Houston team in the past, but since we're going there...

Football is a multi-billion dollar entertainment industry - and though I'm stating the obvious - I say this not expecting to be thoroughly entertained every time to my liking, yet I am expected to be entertained commiserate to the level of entertainment this particular industry has to offer. This is especially true for a city like Houston with such a rich football history, though we have not won a meaningful championship game since 1961 (and some would argue it wasn't that meaningful).

In other words, since there are different levels of entertainment, I'm expecting one of the highest out of football, specifically the Houston Texans. But what I feel I'm getting here - especially yesterday - is vaudeville, when I paid for Le Nozze di Figaro. So instead of getting Gottlob Frick, they're giving me Al Jolson. That's just not going to wash.

With NFC home-field advantage for the playoffs secured, the Packers also rested several key players with nagging injuries: cornerback Charles Woodson, linebacker Clay Matthews, wide receiver Greg Jennings, right tackle Bryan Bulaga, running back James Starks and wide receiver Randall Cobb.

along with Rogers

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/story/2012-01-01/matt-flynn-packers-outlast-lions/52320732/1

and somehow Flynn and Stafford went all Rogers on each other

The Cush
01-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Preach it.

Cush is acting like snapping a football and shoving a defender for 4 seconds on the 2-point conversion play is akin to bench pressing max weight without working up to it. LOL.

Um yea it's more than that..the 300 plus pound guy is pushing back as hard as he can? If you want to think about it in terms of weight lifting movements, that's squats and bench press to say the least. These guys can bench over 400-500 pounds, squat way more than that and they are exerting those movements in the trenches. One team has been out there doing it all game, while our first unit has been standing on the sidelines eating sunflower seeds. THINK ABOUT IT

How late did we unexpectedly get the ball back? How long do you think it takes to properly warm these guys up after being cold for so long? Get over that we lost to the Titans. They will be sitting at home while we will be playing next week

The Cush
01-02-2012, 12:32 PM

Being tired equals:

1) Hyperextending your knee and having to get it drained weekly? Owen Daniels
2) Swollen knee? Arian Foster
3) AC Joint Separation? TJ Yates
4) Season long shoulder issue that may have contributed to a decline in production? Antonio Smith
etc..etc...

And they do get paid to play the game. They will be getting paid to play next week when HALF THE LEAGUE won't be getting paid for that. A right they earned by playing and getting paid all season long. The payment they received for playing with various injuries all season long ultimately paid off by allowing them to play in the playoffs. Sounds like they earned their paid recovery day, and hopefully by not playing yesterday it will increase their longevity in the playoffs to earn more paydays by beating the Bengals.

I want these guys to be able to allocate their time this week, the most important week in franchise history, in practice and walk-throughs. Not having to spend it in the training room receiving treatment.

GP
01-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Um yea it's more than that..the 300 plus pound guy is pushing back as hard as he can? If you want to think about it in terms of weight lifting movements, that's squats and bench press to say the least. These guys can bench over 400-500 pounds, squat way more than that and they are exerting those movements in the trenches. One team has been out there doing it all game, while our first unit has been standing on the sidelines eating sunflower seeds. THINK ABOUT IT

How late did we unexpectedly get the ball back? How long do you think it takes to properly warm these guys up after being cold for so long? Get over that we lost to the Titans. They will be sitting at home while we will be playing next week

I think you're exaggerating a bit here. You have your opinion, no need to kick up the drama knob to level 100. LOL.

One play, dude. ONE. It's not like two gladiators fighting to the death all day long.

Marcus
01-02-2012, 12:35 PM
I don't know if this has been already stated, but to those of you who got their feelings hurt that they rested the starters in a meaningless game, would be the first to scream bloody murder if one those guys got injured and were out for the playoffs.

Hypocrisy or plain difference of opinion? More like a quest to be entertained overriding common sense.

The Cush
01-02-2012, 12:39 PM
I think you're exaggerating a bit here. You have your opinion, no need to kick up the drama knob to level 100. LOL.

One play, dude. ONE. It's not like two gladiators fighting to the death all day long.

I'm kicking up the drama to Gossip Girl type levels. It's just common exercise knowledge the way I put it out. If you really want to risk your guys you need for the playoffs for just one play, then more power to you and even more power to Gary Kubiak for not doing that

SheTexan
01-02-2012, 12:59 PM
I don't know if this has been already stated, but to those of you who got their feelings hurt that they rested the starters in a meaningless game, would be the first to scream bloody murder if one those guys got injured and were out for the playoffs.

Hypocrisy or plain difference of opinion? More like a quest to be entertained overriding common sense.

Come in Marcus!! Of course it's a difference of opinion!! Maybe your definition of "common sense" is different than someone elses. Doesn't make them a hypocrit!! There's not a person on this board who does not want our boys to be in Indy in Feb!! I just have an issue with the term "meaningless" game! Meaningless to who?? The coaches and players, FO, brokers, those who set the odds in Vegas, fans who don't give a crap about our history with the Titans?? It was NOT a meaningless game to those of us who live each year to beat the hell out of that traitor team. It's called rivalry, and it damn sure means a lot to some of us!! Kubiak didn't have to play the starters that were really bummed up. BUT, he could have played some long enough to get a comfortable lead and then let the scrubs protect it. The attitude that it was a "meaningless" game and noone cared whether we won or not just irritates the hell out of me!! If we were able to WIN without the starters than GREAT. That obviously was not the case!! I will repeat myself for the very last time! You play the game of football to WIN EVERY GAME!! No game is meaningless to a diehard football fan!!

Joeycharp89
01-02-2012, 01:02 PM

You never get a day off? I mean I know they get paid *a lot* but that's sort of a different discussion. Their value as a player comes from how well they perform when it's needed, not how many snaps they play (at least not directly).

drunkcookie
01-02-2012, 02:11 PM
No game is meaningless to a diehard football fan!!

This diehard football fan thought it was a meaningless game for the Texans, because outside of who they may or may not have faced in the playoffs it didn't change their situation going into next weekend ANY! None! The game in itself was meaningless, and they had absolutely no chance to advance their standing or lose it, period! It only meant something to the Titans and Texans fans who wanted to the the starters go the distance... I can't blame those fans any, but it's how it goes week 17 and sometimes 16 when teams are locked in...

And if any of the gambling types put money on the Texans Sunday they're stupid and had it coming... I wouldn't have touched this game or half the other ones that went on...

ObsiWan
01-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Preach it.

On the final drive, Kubiak could have had his starting o-linemen warming up and stretching and getting ready in case we DID need them for the 2-point conversion. It's just a minor thing, but it's possible that the guys could have stepped in for one final play SINCE WE WEREN'T GOING TO GO TO OVERTIME ANYWAYS. Right? One last play, one last hurrah to beat the Titans.

First, the Titans were trying to run out the clock and with less than 3 minutes to go in the game. No one expected us to get the ball back again. Thanks to a good lick by Dobbins and an alert play by Nading we did. But that was a total surprise. So when would you start having the first teamers warm up?

Second, those backup linemen were good enough to provide Delhomme with sufficient protection to allow him to go 5 of 6 on that drive and get the TD. They were doing their job on the scoring drive. What would make anyone think they wouldn't get the job done on the two pt. conversion?

So how would you have felt, as a 2nd or 3rd team player, having done the work to get the ball back, march down the field and score, only to have the coach yank you for the freakin' extra point? That's why Kubiak and Phillips have this locker room, they show that they believe in the "next man up" to get the job done.

Speaking of "feelings", I'll bet Dreessen feels pretty bad about that illegal motion thing on the conversion attempt. The way he jumped off the line, on that first attempt, I'm thinking he was the primary target. Even though we were in two-back, run formation, he sure didn't look like he was getting into a blocking stance. He looked to be headed to the end zone. And I bet it would have worked.

ChampionTexan
01-02-2012, 03:25 PM
And if any of the gambling types put money on the Texans Sunday they're stupid and had it coming... I wouldn't have touched this game or half the other ones that went on...

Actually, the Texans covered - the line was Titans -3

TheMatrix31
01-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Can't believe people still give a ****.

We're in the playoffs. Focus on Saturday.

drunkcookie
01-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Actually, the Texans covered - the line was Titans -3

Thought they were favored... My bad... But either way, i wouldn't have betted on this game... Should have said "bet on the Texans Game", because that's what i really meant...

GP
01-02-2012, 04:44 PM
First, the Titans were trying to run out the clock and with less than 3 minutes to go in the game. No one expected us to get the ball back again. Thanks to a good lick by Dobbins and an alert play by Nading we did. But that was a total surprise. So when would you start having the first teamers warm up?

Second, those backup linemen were good enough to provide Delhomme with sufficient protection to allow him to go 5 of 6 on that drive and get the TD. They were doing their job on the scoring drive. What would make anyone think they wouldn't get the job done on the two pt. conversion?

So how would you have felt, as a 2nd or 3rd team player, having done the work to get the ball back, march down the field and score, only to have the coach yank you for the freakin' extra point? That's why Kubiak and Phillips have this locker room, they show that they believe in the "next man up" to get the job done.

Speaking of "feelings", I'll bet Dreessen feels pretty bad about that illegal motion thing on the conversion attempt. The way he jumped off the line, on that first attempt, I'm thinking he was the primary target. Even though we were in two-back, run formation, he sure didn't look like he was getting into a blocking stance. He looked to be headed to the end zone. And I bet it would have worked.

Oh Obsi, puh-leeze!

Some dude named Austin is at center and he's going to get his feeweens hurt if he gets yanked in favor of the starter, Chris Myers??? This is going to "lose the locker room" for Kubiak? Pretty poor talking point to choose, Obsi. If he doesn't understand the move, then he's dense. He should be thankful he has a chance at a Super Bowl ring. Where would a guy like Austin get the idea that he got robbed in that situation? LOL. A win is a win, deal with it Mr. Austin.

Instead, the situation looked like the last preseason game where Kubiak is evaluating players for who will make the roster and who won't. That was my beef with it: This is a regular season, divisional game with momentum to gain by closing out with a win. Instead, we whimpered out like we did when Schaub floated an easy interception into the end zone at the Raiders game this year.

Dreeseen, man I felt super bad for him. I guess the snap count was understood by everyone but him, or he thought he heard the final snap call get yelled out by Delhomme...regardless, "Yeah, it sucked that it happened to him when he's been pretty clutch for us these past few years. That's not in his DNA, and I felt bad for him."

Look, this is all getting tired and old. It's been beaten like a dead horse for two days now. A last little "dig" at the Titans and their owner would have been nice, IMO, but it is what it is and now we're looking at Saturday's game. Go Texans.

Wolf
01-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Boy we can tell this is the first time to the playoffs

GP
01-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Boy we can tell this is the first time to the playoffs

LOL. I know, right?

The Jags, Titans, and Colts fans on their message boards are talking about what off-season moves will happen with their respective teams. We know what THAT feels like, huh?

But not this year. This year, WE got another game! Woo-hoo!!!!!

HTown2ATX
01-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Not going to dig through this whole thread so I may be echoing what someone else has said.....but there is no way in hell I would want to play the Titans in the 1st round.

They are a divisional opponent so they already know us too well to play 3 times. Also, can you imagine losing to the fuqng Titans in the playoffs?!?!?!?!?!

No effing thank you........I don't feel like having to throw myself off a bridge.

IMO it was asinine for Kubes to take an obvious "just another game" approach to yesterday. That is the same **** they pulled when playing the Cowfuqs.

I would rather play the Bengals or ANYONE else in the playoffs for our 1st time ever in the tournament with so many injuries and such a high chance of losing. Lose to the Tits in the playoffs....again....no thanks.

Going for the 2 after that penalty IMO showed that Kubes just wanted the game over.

I have a lot of thoughts on the game but don't have time to post them right now. I will say though that I am off the ledge as we are not going to play the Titans in the playoffs.

Wolf
01-02-2012, 04:56 PM
I might have to check out the other teams message boards and see if their fans are angry about sitting players. This year and previous years

Wolf
01-02-2012, 04:59 PM
I guess I am in the minority.. Screw the titans. They aren't that good and feel the texans would kick their ass if they played them

I am much more nervous about aj green,dalton and benson coming into town

Titans really don't have crap except Johnson

bckey
01-02-2012, 05:07 PM

You and me both Kimmy. 6 years of this loser and this board has become over run with Kubiak apologists. The man can do no wrong. My ignore list is growing.

House of Pain
01-02-2012, 05:10 PM
I don't know what is wrong with some of you.

As a fan base, we piss and moan for ten mostly miserable years, then when we are actually going to the playoffs, and have the luxury to make sure our starters that are banged up get some rest, yet people still find a reason to complain.

To GP (in re: putting the starters in for the 2pt conversion), yes, it's one play, just like the one play in TB were Schaub broke his foot. This is pro football where it takes one play to be out for the season.

I understand having a culture of winning, which is important, but this is just common sense. I'd rather have the starters as close to 100% when they have to play their next game against a hungry Bengals team than boost our win total and have those guys still banged up.

ObsiWan
01-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Oh Obsi, puh-leeze!

Some dude named Austin is at center and he's going to get his feeweens hurt if he gets yanked in favor of the starter, Chris Myers??? This is going to "lose the locker room" for Kubiak? Pretty poor talking point to choose, Obsi. If he doesn't understand the move, then he's dense. He should be thankful he has a chance at a Super Bowl ring. Where would a guy like Austin get the idea that he got robbed in that situation? LOL. A win is a win, deal with it Mr. Austin.

Instead, the situation looked like the last preseason game where Kubiak is evaluating players for who will make the roster and who won't. That was my beef with it: This is a regular season, divisional game with momentum to gain by closing out with a win. Instead, we whimpered out like we did when Schaub floated an easy interception into the end zone at the Raiders game this year.

Dreeseen, man I felt super bad for him. I guess the snap count was understood by everyone but him, or he thought he heard the final snap call get yelled out by Delhomme...regardless, "Yeah, it sucked that it happened to him when he's been pretty clutch for us these past few years. That's not in his DNA, and I felt bad for him."

Look, this is all getting tired and old. It's been beaten like a dead horse for two days now. A last little "dig" at the Titans and their owner would have been nice, IMO, but it is what it is and now we're looking at Saturday's game. Go Texans.

Yeah, we could be like the Titans, talking about where our holes are and who we should draft.

Instead, we gotz another game!!!
:woot: