PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Hillis believes in the ‘Madden Curse’ now

Wolf
12-30-2011, 07:23 PM
Actually, I don't even believe in curses. It's really sad how many people believe in curses. This is football; everyone gets hurt. If you run the ball 40 times a game, you're going to get banged around and get nicks and bruises here and there, but I don't pay too much attention to that. I'll let it take care of itself." -- Peyton Hillis, May 11, 2011

"No doubt about it, things haven't worked to my favor this year. There's a few things that happened that made me believe in curses. Ain't no doubt about it." -- Peyton Hillis, Dec. 29, 2011

All it took was a 600-yard, eight-touchdown decline in his rushing numbers this season to get Peyton Hillis to believe in the Madden Curse.

The Cleveland Browns running back admitted this week that he finally believes in the so-called curse that plagues NFL players who appear on the cover of the popular video game series. Like Michael Vick, Daunte Culpepper, Shaun Alexander, Drew Brees and Vince Young before him, Hillis insisted there's no such thing as a curse when it was announced he had won a fan vote to becoming the cover athlete on the 2012 edition of the game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Peyton-Hillis-believes-in-the-Madden-Curse-now?urn=nfl-wp14879

MeLoveTexans
12-30-2011, 07:42 PM
I can't remember every player that was in the voting contest, but I think several of the players were affected by the madden curse.

Off the top of my head, Andre, Vick and Patrick Willis were all in the bracket for the cover and they all had a bad season. There were several more, but I can't remember

Edit: I just looked and Jamaal Charles, Chris Johnson, Suh, Freeman, McFadden and Sanchez all were all up for consideration. Spooky!

CloakNNNdagger
12-31-2011, 10:16 AM
Poor Vince. Before becoming the cover girl on Madden, he could actually count past "hup."

Dutchrudder
12-31-2011, 05:20 PM
What a joke. Bree's had an excellent year after his madden cover. Sure his team lost to the Seahawks, but that was mostly on the defense. Also Larry Fitzgerald had a great year after being on the cover with TroyP. Although Troy missed about 6 games that year.

But hey, let's not focus on the things that don't fall in line with the recurring story that lazy sports writers can regurgitate twice a year. That might take away from their lack of analysis and inane musings.

GP
12-31-2011, 06:00 PM
Hypothetically speaking here.....

If Madden 2013 has just a football on the cover--no player, just a football on a field of grass--and regular and even "star" players get hurt in 2012, what does this mean?

It means that regular players get hurt and star players definitely get hurt due to their exploits and propensity to be in the thick of the battle most times. Therefore, it's a coincidence and nothing more. The two are not connected by fate or something.

I guess this soothes his conscience, to think that his troubles were due to a random act of having his photo on the cover of a game. Has he had his photo on the cover of other things, such as Cleveland Browns' promotional materials and game day program snatched up by fans? Why is it the Madden Curse that is doing the damage?

Seems somebody with EA Sports has found a clever way of further marketing the game to players. You will talk about the video game more, it gets in stories more, it sticks in people's heads more because of the so-called curse and how it just gosh-darned keeps happening all the time! Boogity, boogity, boogity!!!! Instant news stories at their marketing department's disposal.

Rubbish. He got hurt, he stayed hurt, and he has had troubles outside of health-related issues that have caused the decline in 2011. IMO.

EllisUnit
12-31-2011, 06:03 PM
Hypothetically speaking here.....

If Madden 2013 has just a football on the cover--no player, just a football on a field of grass--and regular and even "star" players get hurt in 2012, what does this mean?

It means that regular players get hurt and star players definitely get hurt due to their exploits and propensity to be in the thick of the battle most times. Therefore, it's a coincidence and nothing more. The two are not connected by fate or something.

I guess this soothes his conscience, to think that his troubles were due to a random act of having his photo on the cover of a game. Has he had his photo on the cover of other things, such as Cleveland Browns' promotional materials and game day program snatched up by fans? Why is it the Madden Curse that is doing the damage?

Seems somebody with EA Sports has found a clever way of further marketing the game to players. You will talk about the video game more, it gets in stories more, it sticks in people's heads more because of the so-called curse and how it just gosh-darned keeps happening all the time! Boogity, boogity, boogity!!!! Instant news stories at their marketing department's disposal.

Rubbish. He got hurt, he stayed hurt, and he has had troubles outside of health-related issues that have caused the decline in 2011. IMO.

How in the Hell has the besy player in the NFL A. Johnson over the last 8 year not been on the cover, i just want him on it so i can buy and frame the game and never open it, yeah i know :bubbles:

Dutchrudder
12-31-2011, 08:32 PM
How in the Hell has the besy player in the NFL A. Johnson over the last 8 year not been on the cover, i just want him on it so i can buy and frame the game and never open it, yeah i know :bubbles:

Because he has never played a meaningful game in his NFL career. Nearly every one of the past cover guys has been involved in the previous year's playoffs, with the exception of Hillis (fan vote).

gtexan02
12-31-2011, 11:26 PM
The mayans said they should put a photo of the world on madden next
Year