PDA

View Full Version : Full breakdown of Wild Card opponent scenarios

CloakNNNdagger
12-29-2011, 04:07 PM
Posted by Nick Scurfield on December 29, 2011 – 12:11 pm

The Texans have locked up the No. 3 seed in the AFC for the playoffs, but their Wild Card Weekend opponent won’t be decided until late Sunday afternoon.

Four teams are still alive for the No. 6 seed and a trip to Reliant Stadium to face the Texans in the first round of the playoffs on Jan. 7 or 8: the Cincinnati Bengals (9-6), Oakland Raiders (8-7), Tennessee Titans (8-7) and New York Jets (8-7).

Here’s a breakdown of the possibilities based on information from the league:

CINCINNATI BENGALS (vs. Baltimore (11-4), 3:15 p.m. CT)
Clinch Wild Card spot with:
1) CIN win or tie
2) NYJ loss or tie + OAK loss or tie
3) NYJ loss or tie + DEN loss or tie

Note: By far the simplest scenario: The Bengals win and they’re in. Otherwise, the sixth seed is up for grabs.

Series history: Tied 3-3. The Texans beat the Bengals 20-19 at Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati in Week 14, clinching the AFC South title with a dramatic second-half comeback.

OAKLAND RAIDERS (vs. Chargers (7-8), 3:15 p.m. CT)
1) OAK win + CIN loss + TEN loss or tie
2) OAK win + CIN loss + NYJ win

Note: Those scenarios assume that the Denver Broncos do not lose to the Kansas City Chiefs (6-9). If the Broncos lose and Raiders win, Oakland will clinch the AFC West and Denver will be eliminated from the playoffs, leaving the No. 6 seed to the Bengals, Jets or Titans.

Series history: Texans lead 5-2. The Texans lost 25-20 at Reliant Stadium in Week 5, but both teams had different starting quarterbacks at the time. Carson Palmer has replaced the injured Jason Campbell in Oakland, while T.J. Yates has replaced Matt Schaub (and Matt Leinart) in Houston.

TENNESSEE TITANS (at Texans (10-5), noon CT)
1) TEN win + CIN loss + NYJ win + OAK loss or tie
2) TEN win + CIN loss + NYJ win + DEN loss or tie
3) TEN win + CIN loss + NYJ loss or tie + OAK win + DEN win

Note: The Texans can eliminate their AFC South rivals with a victory at Reliant Stadium on Sunday. The Titans would win three-way tiebreakers with the Bengals and Jets or with the Bengals and Raiders.

Series history: Titans lead 13-6. The Texans won 41-7 at LP Field in Nashville in Week 7, the largest margin of victory in team history. They have won two of their last three meetings with Tennessee.

NEW YORK JETS (at Dolphins (5-10), noon CT)
1) NYJ win + CIN loss + TEN loss or tie + OAK loss or tie
2) NYJ win + CIN loss + TEN loss or tie + DEN loss or tie

Note: The Jets need the most help for the No. 6 seed, requiring a victory and losses by three playoff-contending teams.

Series history: Jets lead 5-0. They’re the only team of these four that the Texans have not beaten in the last two seasons. The Texans lost 30-27 at New York in 2010 after coming back from a 23-7 fourth-quarter deficit. They lost to the Jets 24-7 at Reliant Stadium on opening day in 2009.

To recap
Confused yet? Here are a couple more notes for clarification’s sake.

If the Jets, Bengals, Raiders, and Titans all finish 9-7 and the Broncos win, the Raiders would get the No. 6 playoff seed because of a superior strength of victory.

If the Jets, Bengals, Raiders and Titans all finish 9-7 and the Broncos lose, the Raiders would be AFC West champs. That would leave the Jets, Bengals and Titans in a three-way tie. The Bengals would be eliminated because of an inferior conference record. The Titans would get the No. 6 seed because of a superior record against common opponents than the Jets.

dream_team
12-29-2011, 04:38 PM
Hopefully we beat the Titans and officially eliminate them.

Even though the Jets have been playing horribly, I don't want to face them in the playoffs.

So I'm rooting for the Bengals or Raiders to win, but they are both in very losable games.

For some reason, I see us playing the Titans or Jets in the first round.

CloakNNNdagger
12-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Hopefully we beat the Titans and officially eliminate them.

Even though the Jets have been playing horribly, I don't want to face them in the playoffs.

So I'm rooting for the Bengals or Raiders to win, but they are both in very losable games.

The Jets have no running game and Sanchez has evidently been "playing" around the high schools too much and it shows. I'll take the Jets.

TheCD
12-29-2011, 05:29 PM

This would quite likely be a nightmare for me. These are the two teams I hate the most, and if I had to watch them eliminate us from the playoffs I would probably lose it.

Norg
12-29-2011, 09:06 PM
Tbo i want to play the titans since we know them best.

_Dre
12-30-2011, 05:15 AM
Bring on any opponent. We ain't scared!

SheTexan
12-30-2011, 07:58 AM
I truly feel ILL at the thought of MAYBE having to play the Titans in our first EVER playoff game!!

I will truly need to sit/stand close to CNNND, cause if we were to lose that game I would definitely need major CPR!!

Let's just take care of business on Sunday Jan 1st!! I'm to old for this kind of stress!!:smiliepalm: