PDA

View Full Version : Kubiaks top Priority Sunday: Beat Titans or rest Starters for W-C Playoff game ?

IDEXAN
12-26-2011, 09:10 AM
To me it's a no-brainer in what is now a basically a meaningless game from the Texans perspective - pull the starters early, sometime in the first half, so they are reasonable fresh for the big playoff game the next Sunday in Reliant. Plus the less they are on the field the less likely they get injured in a game which means nothing to us.

amazing80
12-26-2011, 09:22 AM
In our situation I disagree. We are brutal on offense and they need to get another game under their belts with yates at the helm. You play to win this game (injuries are a part of the game, you don't coach scarred). Our secondary needs to show they are back to form, basically the whole team NEEDS more game time together....

gwallaia
12-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Win Sunday with the starters all the way if necessary. I would not want to go into the playoffs with three straight losses.

jaayteetx
12-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Seeing how the Titans are still alive for a playoff spot, I say you rid yourself of them when you have a chance. Step on their throats and squash them like a bug.

ThaShark316
12-26-2011, 09:37 AM
They'll be playing on a short week more than likely.

Play them a half. I want TEN out too, but still.

IDEXAN
12-26-2011, 09:39 AM
You play to win this game (injuries are a part of the game, you don't coach scarred).
Really ? A game which will change nothing about our #3 seed for the playoffs and is about as meaningful as a preseason exhibition game ? If there was nothing to gain by holding out players, especially key players like a Cushing who is "beat-up" by his own HCs admission, I'd play them but getting them well and having them rested for the 17th game of the season is top priority.
In the long offseason nobody will be talking about what the Texans did in the last regular season game of the year because all they will be talking about what our playoff performance was. I say play this game like its the last preseason game of the year as we get ready for our season-opener, ah our playoff-opener.

Texas T
12-26-2011, 09:47 AM
I'm okay with either scenario (play starters the whole game or half) and I kinda lean toward letting them play but...the field is gonna suck due to the college game the day prior so the chances of loosing someone (see AJ) is higher.

The field is the X-factor in my mind...that's what I'm most nervous about.

Lucky
12-26-2011, 09:56 AM
This is preseason for the postseason. Get the starters out early. And, the Titans would be a dream opponent for the Texans initial playoff game.

Remember when Belichick got cute in '09 finale here, and Welker wiped out his knee in a meaningless game? Kubiak surely does.

Ktexan68
12-26-2011, 10:00 AM
We are so short handed that you won't be able to pull the starters per se. I do think resting Arian would be a good idea and conversely, I'd really like Andre to get some more time on the field with Yates.

NitroGSXR
12-26-2011, 10:02 AM
Last I checked, there were 16 regular season games... so you play them. Honestly? I'd like to bench our defense and intentionally allow the Titans to score as quickly as they can, one play-90 yard TDs. Give our offense as many reps as they can possibly get.

Lucky
12-26-2011, 10:07 AM
We are so short handed that you won't be able to pull the starters per se. I do think resting Arian would be a good idea and conversely, I'd really like Andre to get some more time on the field with Yates.

No way they play Andre. And while you can't sit everyone because of roster limitations, guys like Maehl, Ward, Delhomme, Newton, Braman, Dobbins, and Harris can get plenty of snaps. And besides, it doesn't mean the the Texans can't win. Just another form of "Next man up".

beerlover
12-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Texans stopped playing meaningful football once they clinched division. Last couple games remind me of Survivor, just managing to exist while saving resources (Andre) for when its your (Texan) turn to actually be eliminated :survivor:

Yankee_In_TX
12-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Win Sunday with the starters all the way if necessary. I would not want to go into the playoffs with three straight losses.

This.

NitroGSXR
12-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Texans stopped playing meaningful football once they clinched division. Last couple games remind me of Survivor, just managing to exist while saving resources (Andre) for when its your (Texan) turn to actually be eliminated :survivor:

I think we tried to win the Carolina game until... the 2nd interception inside the 20... Kubiak has put the kid gloves on Yates since.

Lucky
12-26-2011, 10:55 AM

Here's the problem with that. The players know this game is meaningless in regards to the playoffs. Kubiak can't play mind games and convince them otherwise. The starters will be concerned about injury. The reserves will actually play harder, knowing this is a chance for them ti shine on tape. The Texans best chance of winning this game might be with the backups.

badboy
12-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Be selective. Allow players like Caldwell, Tate, Ward, B/up QBs, Bryant Johnson etc get reps. Rest your Cushings, Ryans, etc.

SheTexan
12-26-2011, 11:03 AM
I don't care HOW THEY FRIGGIN have to do it, just WIN on Sunday!!! If it takes playing the starters then put their butts out there and PLAY THEM!! It's flippin football, that's what they're suppose to do, PLAY the damn game to WIN!! Every game, not just pick and choose games!!

It really tickes me off to read "this is just a meaningless game" sort of crap. NO!!!!!! It is NOT a meaningless game! Playing for pride, and closing out the season with a sweep over the hated Titans IS a game with meaning!!

If Cush, and some of the other players, are so beat up, let them take turns in Cush's hyperbaric chamber, or sit their butts in a hot tub (without Matt #2) and get them mentally ready to play some football! Sorry, you play EVERY game to WIN, regardless!! JMO!!

Playoffs
12-26-2011, 11:06 AM
I think we need some moooooo--mentum.

Kubiak oughtta be breathing fire down the necks of these guys.

I'm okay with resting/protecting as needed, but I'd prep the entire team as if we're going to war.

Put a skirt on the Titans and send them home for the winter.

kcdoubleeagle
12-26-2011, 11:13 AM
It's a NO BRAINER...You rest the team as much as possible. We are still trying to win a Superbowl and a beat up defense and offensive line are not the best way to do that...

TexansBlood
12-26-2011, 11:15 AM
I say play all the starters like a regular game. No need to sit anyone one, we need to go into the playoffs with a win instead of another lose which would make it 3 in a row. Seems like after we clinched it has not gone our way. Let's beat the crap out of the Titans and go into the playoffs with confidence!!

Lucky
12-26-2011, 12:35 PM
It really tickes me off to read "this is just a meaningless game" sort of crap. NO!!!!!! It is NOT a meaningless game! Playing for pride, and closing out the season with a sweep over the hated Titans IS a game with meaning!!
I can understand your frustration of paying for a ticket to game that the end result has no bearing on the postseason. But this team is past playing for pride. They're in the tournament. They're playing for a ring. And they need to do what's best for the team to accomplish that goal. If it means sitting starters, then you sit starters. I've given Kubiak a lot of grief over the past few years. But I will defend him to the utmost against criticisms of how he handles this game.

IDEXAN
12-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Here's the problem with that. The players know this game is meaningless in regards to the playoffs. Kubiak can't play mind games and convince them otherwise. The starters will be concerned about injury. The reserves will actually play harder, knowing this is a chance for them ti shine on tape. The Texans best chance of winning this game might be with the backups.
Agree with all of these points, plus when Lucky jogged our memories about the "season-ending" injury @ Reliant a couple years ago to the Patriots Welker. Can you just imagine the heat Kubiak would take if a really key player like Andre, or Jonahan Joseph, or Duane Brown blew out a knee in the second-half of this weekends meaningless game ? And how badly his team would miss that player a week later in it's first playoff game, the most meaningful game the franchise will have played to that point in its history ?

NitroGSXR
12-26-2011, 12:44 PM
I can understand your frustration of paying for a ticket to game that the end result has no bearing on the postseason. But this team is past playing for pride. They're in the tournament. They're playing for a ring. And they need to do what's best for the team to accomplish that goal. If it means sitting starters, then you sit starters. I've given Kubiak a lot of grief over the past few years. But I will defend him to the utmost against criticisms of how he handles this game.

You can't bench everybody. Rosters aren't big enough for that. That being said, I'm curious on how you feel about Yates? Should he play or should he be shelved?

Hookem Horns
12-26-2011, 12:52 PM
I am in the play to win the game camp for sure. You don't want a 3 game losing streak going into the playoffs. However that being said I would not mind seeing Delhomme get some 4th QTR time just to see how he looks and to give him some reps in case the worst happens in the playoffs.

steelbtexan
12-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Never and I repeat ever, let a Bud Adams team ever win anything.

Speedy
12-26-2011, 12:54 PM
Wait!!! I thought that scheduling division games at the end of the season was supposed to stop all of this resting players stuff?

IDEXAN
12-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Wait!!! I thought that scheduling division games at the end of the season was supposed to stop all of this resting players stuff?
We are in the position to rest our players/reduce their exposure to injury because we've already clinched a playoff game, while the Titans don't have that luxury because they are still scrambling for a playoff spot. Why on earth would we not want to take advantage of this opportunity ? If Kubiak doesn't take this approach to the game, he should be heavily critisized for not doing so.

welsh texan
12-26-2011, 01:09 PM
I'd like to see a balanced approach to the starters playing time in this game. A guy like Cushing who has played a really tough season and is 'beat up' after having the most playing time of our LB's? Rest him.

If you have a guy like Yates who needs the PT to improve on his game, play him.

I could go into detail about which players I'd like to see rested etc but in reality, we don't ever get told an awful lot about which players are feeling the most sore etc throughout the season.

I'd certainly like to see Derrick Ward get the lions share of the carries, I'd like to see a bit of playing time for our O-line backups who have extremely limited experience. Andre, if ready, should be given some limited game time to get back into the flow.

I don't agree with the comments from those who want Tenn out of the playoffs, for me, its difficult to see a more preferrable first round game for the Texans than if they get in, especially if their film of us from the previous week is ruined by depth players who are running our schemes less efficiently than our starters would.

Speedy
12-26-2011, 01:56 PM
We are in the position to rest our players/reduce their exposure to injury because we've already clinched a playoff game, while the Titans don't have that luxury because they are still scrambling for a playoff spot. Why on earth would we not want to take advantage of this opportunity ? If Kubiak doesn't take this approach to the game, he should be heavily critisized for not doing so.

Yes, I realize that. My point was to all those folks who were in favor of all division games at the end because they thought it would stop the resting players for the last games of the regular season, when it actually doesn't freaking matter. No matter who is on your schedule at the end, if you have things wrapped up as far as playoffs, seeding, etc, teams will rest players. Nothing you can do to the schedule to changed that.

Lucky
12-26-2011, 02:01 PM
You can't bench everybody. Rosters aren't big enough for that. That being said, I'm curious on how you feel about Yates? Should he play or should he be shelved?

Is Yates healthy? If not 100%, then he should sit. If healthy, he should play a few drives in the 1st half with the o-line starters. Maybe a 2 minute drill. Then let Jake get the remaining snaps.

Ryan
12-26-2011, 02:08 PM
I think they should limit Foster for sure, he missed 3 games this year and is still among the league leaders in rushing attempts, get him rested for playoffs. Don't even consider playing Andre imo. Keep Yates out there 60 minutes, he needs all the reps he can get.

TexCanada
12-26-2011, 02:14 PM
I would hope the coaching staff has a pretty good idea of which players are feeling good and which could use some extra rest. I think each starter should see a few less snaps then normal, but still play most of the game. If they think a certain player will benefit from more rest then they should rest him.

htowntexans1985
12-26-2011, 02:14 PM
The way they have been playing the last two weeks no one deserves to sit down. Maybe keep track of Cushing and Watts number of plays but the rest of them should go all game. Also Foster earned some time off for his play.

DexmanC
12-26-2011, 02:17 PM
The Giants didn't need the final game of the season against the Patriots,
but played like they did. I need to see the same out of the Texans come
Sunday.

silvrhand
12-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Sorry, play for the win and let the cards fall as they may. If the titans win I don't want to see this scenario.

If Balt beats Cin, Jets beat Mia and Tenny beats us we play Tenny

Balt is likely to beat the jets.
Jets are likely to beat Miami.

Beat the titans and get it over with, cause the last thing I want to see is us against the titans and they knock us out of the first round of playoffs..

welsh texan
12-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Yes, I realize that. My point was to all those folks who were in favor of all division games at the end because they thought it would stop the resting players for the last games of the regular season, when it actually doesn't freaking matter. No matter who is on your schedule at the end, if you have things wrapped up as far as playoffs, seeding, etc, teams will rest players. Nothing you can do to the schedule to changed that.

The point is that by having the divisional games at the end of the regular season teams are slightly less likely to have things all wrapped up, as the divisional matchups are what in soccer is known as a '6 pointer' (there is a 2 game swing between the possible results) and therefore more likely to still have some relevence.

htowntexans1985
12-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Sorry, play for the win and let the cards fall as they may. If the titans win I don't want to see this scenario.

If Balt beats Cin, Jets beat Mia and Tenny beats us we play Tenny

Balt is likely to beat the jets.
Jets are likely to beat Miami.

Beat the titans and get it over with, cause the last thing I want to see is us against the titans and they knock us out of the first round of playoffs..

^^^this. Might as well start knocking teams out of playoff contention now. Too many times have teams not play to win only to get knocked out the following week by the same team!. Hammer them Tacks!

Lucky
12-26-2011, 02:23 PM

The Titans would be my preferred team to face in the playoffs. Prep would be that much easier. Tennessee wouldn't be able to rest starters, as they are in a must win game. And the Titans have less talent across the board than the Bengals, Jets, or Raiders.

EllisUnit
12-26-2011, 02:50 PM
To me it's a no-brainer in what is now a basically a meaningless game from the Texans perspective - pull the starters early, sometime in the first half, so they are reasonable fresh for the big playoff game the next Sunday in Reliant. Plus the less they are on the field the less likely they get injured in a game which means nothing to us.

i have seen it WAY to often, a team restes there starters and it throws them off in the play-offs for some reason, hell we have already lost 90% of the star players on our team, how much worse could it get.

Lucky
12-26-2011, 03:54 PM
i have seen it WAY to often, a team restes there starters and it throws them off in the play-offs for some reason
Only 2 teams a year make it to the Super Bowl. And more than that rest starters after clinching. That doesn't mean those that don't make it were thrown off. The Saints lost their final 3 games of the regular season before sweeping the playoffs and picking up the Lombardi trophy.

The '08 Cards started hot at 7-3, clinched early, and limped to the finish with a 9-7 mark. Then, went on a cinderella run in the playoffs, losing a nailbiter in the Super Bowl. Any momentum gained at the end of the season is overrated. Having as many players as healthy and fresh as possible is not overrated. Wanting to sell out to beat a rival makes zero sense in the grand scheme.

Speedy
12-26-2011, 03:56 PM
The point is that by having the divisional games at the end of the regular season teams are slightly less likely to have things all wrapped up, as the divisional matchups are what in soccer is known as a '6 pointer' (there is a 2 game swing between the possible results) and therefore more likely to still have some relevence.

And that's just not true at all. The 2 game swing is true (IF YOU HAVEN'T CLINCHED ANYTHING), but the less likely to happen stuff isn't. 4 of the 6 divisions have had their division races over with well before week 17. Texans, Patriots, Packers, Niners, all wrapped up early and all have just been playing for seeding. And those seeding concerns are against teams from outside their divisions. Divisions games scheduled at the end made ZERO difference in the division races in 4 of the 6 divisions.

I mean, what if the Texans/Ravens game was week 16 instead of week 6? That game would have been a whole lot more meaningful than a division matchup Texans/Colts in week 16. Or Pats/Steelers could have played this week with some meaning instead of a Pats/Bills meaningless division game.

Who is on the schedule just doesn't matter. If you're wrapped up you're resting, division game or not. If you lose games and are on the bubble (AFC west/NFC east), or you've got 2 kick butt teams (AFC north), only then might it matter a little more, but if those teams were playing non-division games it would still be just as important because they've still got to win them. How would Steelers/Browns be any different than Steelers/Texans this week? It wouldn't. Steelers would have to win either way to have a chance to win their division.

Back when they announced they wanted to put division games at the end their argument was that they wanted to stop teams like the Colts from shutting it down early and letting the Jets back into the playoffs, and stuff like that, and you're just not going to stop that from happening no matter how the schedule is set up. You're just not. When you clinch you're resting. End of story.

The 2 division games at the end for the Texans have zero meaning in the division and those 2 games against the Colts/Titans would have meant exactly the same as any 2 non-division games. The Texans still needed to win them, but if they had lost the 1st one like they did to the Colts, then the week 17 game against any team in this league would mean nothing to the Texans just like the division game with the Titans means nothing to them.

welsh texan
12-26-2011, 04:08 PM
And that's just not true at all. The 2 game swing is true (IF YOU HAVEN'T CLINCHED ANYTHING), but the less likely to happen stuff isn't. 4 of the 6 divisions have had their division races over with well before week 17. Texans, Patriots, Packers, Niners, all wrapped up early and all have just been playing for seeding. And those seeding concerns are against teams from outside their divisions. Divisions games scheduled at the end made ZERO difference in the division races in 4 of the 6 divisions.

I mean, what if the Texans/Ravens game was week 16 instead of week 6? That game would have been a whole lot more meaningful than a division matchup Texans/Colts in week 16. Or Pats/Steelers could have played this week with some meaning instead of a Pats/Bills meaningless division game.

Who is on the schedule just doesn't matter. If you're wrapped up you're resting, division game or not. If you lose games and are on the bubble (AFC west/NFC east), or you've got 2 kick butt teams (AFC north), only then might it matter a little more, but if those teams were playing non-division games it would still be just as important because they've still got to win them. How would Steelers/Browns be any different than Steelers/Texans this week? It wouldn't. Steelers would have to win either way to have a chance to win their division.

Back when they announced they wanted to put division games at the end their argument was that they wanted to stop teams like the Colts from shutting it down early and letting the Jets back into the playoffs, and stuff like that, and you're just not going to stop that from happening no matter how the schedule is set up. You're just not. When you clinch you're resting. End of story.

The 2 division games at the end for the Texans have zero meaning in the division and those 2 games against the Colts/Titans would have meant exactly the same as any 2 non-division games. The Texans still needed to win them, but if they had lost the 1st one like they did to the Colts, then the week 17 game against any team in this league would mean nothing to the Texans just like the division game with the Titans means nothing to them.

I see what your saying, and of course your point that playing a divisional game isn't going to affect you from resting starters once you've already clinched. The whole idea though is that there is the chance that you end up with a Ravens/Steelers type game right at the end which changes the whole playoff picture. It hasn't worked out this year, but might just make for an extremely interesting finish one year.

Of course, on the other hand, if we were to hypothetically switch our games vs. the Titans wk.17 and the Ravens game then both would have been far more interesting in hindsight. But hey, its not a bad idea by the NFL imho.

ObsiWan
12-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Sunday.

Yeah, but there was that whole, "we want to be the ones to knock off the undefeated team and see how we fare against 'the best'" thing going on. Do you think if those same Giants had been playing the Dolphins they would have gone all out like they did against the Patriots?
I'm thinking no.

ObsiWan
12-26-2011, 05:01 PM
I'd like to see a balanced approach to the starters playing time in this game. A guy like Cushing who has played a really tough season and is 'beat up' after having the most playing time of our LB's? Rest him.

If you have a guy like Yates who needs the PT to improve on his game, play him.

I could go into detail about which players I'd like to see rested etc but in reality, we don't ever get told an awful lot about which players are feeling the most sore etc throughout the season.

I'd certainly like to see Derrick Ward get the lions share of the carries, I'd like to see a bit of playing time for our O-line backups who have extremely limited experience. Andre, if ready, should be given some limited game time to get back into the flow.

I don't agree with the comments from those who want Tenn out of the playoffs, for me, its difficult to see a more preferrable first round game for the Texans than if they get in, especially if their film of us from the previous week is ruined by depth players who are running our schemes less efficiently than our starters would.

This makes the most sense to me. Rest the gimpy starters that need it. Give the younguns that need seasoning the reps they need.

Going all out to beat Tennessee makes little sense to me. Taking a chance on losing starters in a meaningless game would be cutting off our own nose to spite Bud's face.
We have bigger fish to fry.
If we go plain vanilla with non-starters in this last game then neither Tenn. (or whoever we face) have no clue what we'll unveil when the playoffs start.

thunderkyss
12-26-2011, 05:29 PM
Seeing how the Titans are still alive for a playoff spot, I say you rid yourself of them when you have a chance. Step on their throats and squash them like a bug.

This.

It gives this game more "play-off atmosphere" than we've had all year. It's good practice & winning is a habit.. a rhythm. We need to get back in that rhythm.

thunderkyss
12-26-2011, 05:32 PM
This is preseason for the postseason. Get the starters out early. And, the Titans would be a dream opponent for the Texans initial playoff game.

Remember when Belichick got cute in '09 finale here, and Welker wiped out his knee in a meaningless game? Kubiak surely does.

Wasn't that in the first qtr? Maybe even their first possession.

thunderkyss
12-26-2011, 05:42 PM
I've given Kubiak a lot of grief over the past few years. But I will defend him to the utmost against criticisms of how he handles this game.

Does that mean regardless what he decides to do? If he decides not to rest his starters, would you defend that as well?

gary
12-26-2011, 05:58 PM
Injuries suck but you play any sport to win JMHO.

axman40
12-26-2011, 09:55 PM
The Texans should give the Titans the" Old Yeller" treatment and put them out of their misery.
:texflag:

TexansFanatic
12-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Sunday.

Damn straight.

Play like there's no tomorrow.

It's what they should have done last Thursday.

Lucky
12-26-2011, 10:29 PM
It gives this game more "play-off atmosphere" than we've had all year. It's good practice & winning is a habit.. a rhythm. We need to get back in that rhythm.
Not this.

You can't fake playoff atmosphere. The players know it's not the playoffs. The fans know it's not the playoffs. It won't be there.

Does that mean regardless what he decides to do? If he decides not to rest his starters, would you defend that as well?
He won't do that. Kubiak is conservative, and resting starters is the conservative move. He'll play this like preseason. Kubiak may be many things. But, he's not a playoff noob. He's been there as a player and an assistant. This isn't his first rodeo. Kubiak will prepare for the playoff game as if it's the most important game in his coaching career. Because it is.

Carr Bombed
12-26-2011, 10:45 PM
Not this.

You can't fake playoff atmosphere. The players know it's not the playoffs. The fans know it's not the playoffs. It won't be there.

For the most part I agree with you, but there is the rare exception.. Next week's NY and Dallas game WILL BE a playoff game with a playoff atmosphere. The only time this takes place is when both teams have something on the line. It's a playoff game for the Titans, but not us. If we beat the Titans it'll be somewhat impressive, because it'll mean we beat a team that had to win or go home...but it won't be the same as what the Giants and Cowboys will experience or any other team that also finds themselves in that kind of scenario.

Carr Bombed
12-26-2011, 10:48 PM
This.

I think we've already had a "regular season playoff atmosphere" game. It happened up in Cincy when the division was still up for grabs and the Titans were breathing down our necks and the Bengals were trying to hold on to the final WC spot. Next week's game won't equal that game or even the Falcons game for that matter. We're already locked into our spot..we can't do any better or any worse than where we are at now and the players know that.

Lucky
12-26-2011, 10:58 PM
For the most part I agree with you, but there is the rare exception.. Next week's NY and Dallas game WILL BE a playoff game with a playoff atmosphere. The only time this takes place is when both teams have something on the line.
Right. I'm only referring to this game, and from a Texan perspective. That the coaches and fans can stir up fake playoff atmosphere for this game that's meaningless for the Texans is pure fantasy.

That doesn't mean the Texans can't win this game, folks. The reserves could very well play harder than the starters would. And the Titans could play tight with the playoffs on the line. Resting starters doesn't automatically add an L in the standings.

thunderkyss
12-26-2011, 11:26 PM
I want the win. But I won't be upset either way. I'd like to see a good crisp series from the offense & a good 3 & out from the defense before he starts sitting people. We've had trouble staying on schedule, third down conversions, & scoring in the red zone.

I don't know what he is going to need to see to satisfy him though.

We have a lot to work on.

Fico
12-27-2011, 12:26 AM
You play to win.

We need to get momentum going into the playoffs.

What not to do, see the Bengals versus the Jets in 2009 season.

What to do, see the Giants versus the Patriots 2007 season.

You especially don't give the team your playing any chance to make the playoffs, even more so if its a division foe.

Play. To. Win.

ChampionTexan
12-27-2011, 12:47 AM
You play to win.

We need to get momentum going into the playoffs.

What not to do, see the Bengals versus the Jets in 2009 season.

What to do, see the Giants versus the Patriots 2007 season.

You especially don't give the team your playing any chance to make the playoffs, even more so if its a division foe.

Play. To. Win.

You can't pick one instance and say that because it happened then, it will - or even should - happen now. In 1988, the Oilers lost to the Browns in the regular season finale to finish 10-6 only to come back and beat them one week later in the first round of the playoffs. The regular season game was on the road, and because they lost, the playoff game was also in Cleveland. Something I find rather interesting about that playoff win was that it was only the second time since 1979 that the Oilers had won a game on the road against a team with a winning record. Seems like I've seen a vaguely similar statistic floating around this season regarding the Kubiak coached Texans.

In my perfect world, the Texans would never lose, but we all know how close to reality that's been since 2002. Yeah, I'd like to see the Texans beat the Titans on Sunday, but if they win the following weekend, I can probably live with whatever happens this Sunday.

2BCF
12-27-2011, 01:52 AM
Is Yates healthy? If not 100%, then he should sit. If healthy, he should play a few drives in the 1st half with the o-line starters. Maybe a 2 minute drill. Then let Jake get the remaining snaps.

Would love to see what Jake and Jeff have left in the tank.
We need to see who gives us the best option moving forward.
Lots of playoff experience b/w the 2 of them.
I wish the kid was ready, would make a great story... but something is not right.

thunderkyss
12-27-2011, 01:58 AM
I wish the kid was ready, would make a great story... but something is not right.

We were blowing the titans out & Kubiak never thought to put Leinart in the game. We were blowing the Bucs out & he had Schaub finish the game on a broken foot.

It's possible that Kubiak won't let Delhomme in the game simply to avoid having a QB controversy so close to the play-offs.

ThaShark316
12-27-2011, 01:58 AM

It's called "lack of 80" for me. I think we got away with it in Cincy because we were on a frantic pace for 2 drives. Give T.J. "The Best in the World", and we got something, folks.

We can make this another Arizona. Just get our future HOFer back.

http://www.dholmes.com/nfl/nfl-texans-johnson-andre-80-navy-2008-stockpic2.jpg

gwallaia
12-27-2011, 08:06 AM
The Texans have played like crap the past 2 games. I bet they don't want to look like crap for three consecutive games going into the playoffs. They need to play to win this one.

El Tejano
12-27-2011, 08:16 AM
The Texans have played like crap the past 2 games. I bet they don't want to look like crap for three consecutive games going into the playoffs. They need to play to win this one.

That's what I'm saying. I think having Wade back helps alot more.

Kimmy
12-27-2011, 08:18 AM
I'm in the rest 'em camp. I do NOT want Andre out there with two bummed hamstrings, nor do I want to see anyone else go down.

I say a couple of reps and then sit 'em. Let them rest for the short week they will be facing.

Another reason is I really want to see what the back up QBs can do if Yates needs to be pulled in the playoffs for any reason.

IDEXAN
12-27-2011, 08:23 AM
By all means play to win this Sunday, even if it means coming out of the game with "kids" like Foster, Andre, OD, Cushing, Joseph, JJ Watt "beat-up".
Or Kubiak could "be smart" and have them standing around on the sidelines padless in the second-half, cheering on reserves against the Titans and reasonable fresh/rested for the most important game the Texans will have played in their 10-year existence the following weekend ?

Mr teX
12-27-2011, 09:49 AM
Its tough b/c we really do need to try to get some momentum going into the playoffs & Yates needs more reps with AJ as well as the rest of the offense to get some confidence............but on the other we've been soooooooooo injury prone this year & i'd really hate it if AJ reaggravated something or someone else on offense or defense went down in an otherwise meaningless game.

I think the answer is somewhere in between.. let the starters play 1st half & reserves in 2nd half....everyone except Caldwell & Winston. After that performance against the Colts they both clearly need to be playing.

SheTexan
12-27-2011, 10:16 AM
By all means play to win this Sunday, even if it means coming out of the game with "kids" like Foster, Andre, OD, Cushing, Joseph, JJ Watt "beat-up".
Or Kubiak could "be smart" and have them standing around on the sidelines padless in the second-half, cheering on reserves against the Titans and reasonable fresh/rested for the most important game the Texans will have played in their 10-year existence the following weekend ?

Geeezzzzz! What if that game is against the hated Titans, and WE LOSE simply because of the SAME friggin mistakes we've made the past two weeks? We've got a rookie QB that needs reps with the STARTERS, lots of reps!! IF MS was healthy I could see your point, but, NOW is not the time to rest starters. AJ wants to play, and he needs to get the kinks out. The most important game for the Texans is Jan 1st!! Keep the Titans OUT of the playoffs. If they don't, Bud just might get the last laugh!! Are you ready for that??????

burro
12-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Kubiak needs to take the harness off of TJ once and for all and see what we have at QB going into the playoffs. When you're this deep into the depth chart and heading into the playoffs, every game is another chance for the team to gel. I think it would be a disservice to TJ and therefore the team to not play this game to win. You can rest Andre to be safe, but there is no way you don't give Yates and, perhaps more importantly, Caldwell the full speed reps they need.

Furthermore, I don't like losing to Tennessee. It's a division rival and beating them is always good for morale, which is something we'll need a lot of if we want to do well in the playoffs.

Fico
12-27-2011, 10:47 AM
You can't pick one instance and say that because it happened then, it will - or even should - happen now. In 1988, the Oilers lost to the Browns in the regular season finale to finish 10-6 only to come back and beat them one week later in the first round of the playoffs. The regular season game was on the road, and because they lost, the playoff game was also in Cleveland. Something I find rather interesting about that playoff win was that it was only the second time since 1979 that the Oilers had won a game on the road against a team with a winning record. Seems like I've seen a vaguely similar statistic floating around this season regarding the Kubiak coached Texans.

In my perfect world, the Texans would never lose, but we all know how close to reality that's been since 2002. Yeah, I'd like to see the Texans beat the Titans on Sunday, but if they win the following weekend, I can probably live with whatever happens this Sunday.

In your post you pointed to a game in which the Oilers most definitely played to win and came up short. As a result they had to travel to Cleveland and win one of the most exciting Wild Card games ever. Do you think it ever crossed the Oiler's mind that they should "rest" in that final regular season game.

You went back 22 years to pick a game that indicates that the particular team in question approached that game as I think they should, in other words they played to win.

I gave you a recent example of a team who laid down becuase they had a spot locked up, got thrashed, then proceeded to get beat again by the very team against whom they "rested" against.

I also provided another recent example of a team playing their ass off in a loss to the Patriots, whom carried that momentum into the playoffs and won a Super Bowl. Exactly the same scenario you presented with the 1988 Cleveland vs Oilers game.

We need to play hard, we need to play to win, and most importantly we need to win the game.

We will get this team on track by beating the a division foe and by keeping them out of the playoffs. If you have the chance to eliminate someone you do, no questions asked.

Could you imagine the uproar if we "rest" our guys they beat us and make it in the playoffs? Then they end up playing us and beating us...... Getting knocked out by a team in our division because we didn't play the last regular season game hard. That is not likely to happen but it could, so why don't we eliminate the chance of that happening all together play to win.

Mr teX
12-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Kubiak needs to take the harness off of TJ once and for all and see what we have at QB going into the playoffs. When you're this deep into the depth chart and heading into the playoffs, every game is another chance for the team to gel. I think it would be a disservice to TJ and therefore the team to not play this game to win. You can rest Andre to be safe, but there is no way you don't give Yates and, perhaps more importantly, Caldwell the full speed reps they need.

Furthermore, I don't like losing to Tennessee. It's a division rival and beating them is always good for morale, which is something we'll need a lot of if we want to do well in the playoffs.

resting AJ but taking the harness off of Yates? That's not going to yield good results. We either need to go all in for at least a half or don't go at all.

People make the mistake thinking that having yates put the ball up a gazillion times in a meaningless game is going to make him better & that's not necessarily true...especially If we were to do as you say & sit AJ b/c TJ's likely not going to play well & thereby might lose confidence. the 2nd thing is the more times he drops back, the more times he can potentially be hit.

Lastly, you don't get good passing the ball in the NFL overnight. It usually takes a few years - complete years with offseason work & preseason snaps. So him throwing 40-50 times in 1 game against a garbage defense isn't going to make him immeasurablly better overnight for the playoffs...it just doesn't happen like that.

He & the team honestly will probably learn more from a playoff loss rather than a win b/c they'll get a chance to see how much more intense the game becomes & how much more you have to elevate your game to become contenders year in/out in this league.

Our formula for this year has been set due to the injuries we've sustained. Play tough defense & run the ball effectively & only count on TJ to make just enough plays to keep the defense honest.

burro
12-27-2011, 11:22 AM
resting AJ but taking the harness off of Yates? That's not going to yield good results. We either need to go all in for at least a half or don't go at all.

People make the mistake thinking that having yates put the ball up a gazillion times in a meaningless game is going to make him better & that's not necessarily true...especially If we were to do as you say & sit AJ b/c TJ's likely not going to play well & thereby might lose confidence. the 2nd thing is the more times he drops back, the more times he can potentially be hit.

Lastly, you don't get good passing the ball in the NFL overnight. It usually takes a few years - complete years with offseason work & preseason snaps. So him throwing 40-50 times in 1 game against a garbage defense isn't going to make him immeasurablly better overnight for the playoffs...it just doesn't happen like that.

He & the team honestly will probably learn more from a playoff loss rather than a win b/c they'll get a chance to see how much more intense the game becomes & how much more you have to elevate your game to become contenders year in/out in this league.

Our formula for this year has been set due to the injuries we've sustained. Play tough defense & run the ball effectively & only count on TJ to make just enough plays to keep the defense honest.

It isn't about good stats or even TJ looking stellar, per se. It's about opening up the playbook for TJ and letting him settle into his role, at least for our playoff run, as the leader on the field. There is evidence that there is a lack of cohesiveness with the offense that needs to be resolved before the post-season. The results are going to be worse in the long run if we send TJ into the playoffs feeling like Kubiak and, by proxy, the team has no faith in him. I wouldn't care if he only threw the ball 15 times so long as the game plan places some sort of confidence in his ability to lead the team.

steelbtexan
12-27-2011, 11:27 AM

Agreed

A few deep balls even if they're incomplete to loosen up the opposing defense would be nice. I'm not advocating letting Yates throw the ball 35/40 times a game. But 20/25 times with 4-5 of them 20-25 yds deep should be enough to keep the defense honest. Even if you've got to max protect to give Yates time to throw the deep ball, it needs to be done. IMHO

El Tejano
12-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Everyone is saying short week. What time and date is our playoff game?

Mr teX
12-27-2011, 12:05 PM
It isn't about good stats or even TJ looking stellar, per se. It's about opening up the playbook for TJ and letting him settle into his role, at least for our playoff run, as the leader on the field. There is evidence that there is a lack of cohesiveness with the offense that needs to be resolved before the post-season. The results are going to be worse in the long run if we send TJ into the playoffs feeling like Kubiak and, by proxy, the team has no faith in him. I wouldn't care if he only threw the ball 15 times so long as the game plan places some sort of confidence in his ability to lead the team.

I haven't heard anything coming from Kirby that says there's a crisis of leadership with Yates on the field.

I also don't think the playbook is nearly as closed as you all seem to think. In any case it was a collective handcuffing job by all parties involved. In the colts game there were clearly times where Yates could've aired it out deep, he just didn't; i know at least twice the commentators mentioned that "he wanted to go deep there". That's typical of rookie qb play as they typically do come in too skittish & don't trust what they see. And after the worst game of his career against Carolina where he threw some costly picks, I think he just handcuffed himself a bit in the colts game.

The other end of it is Winston & Caldwell were getting their lunches ate by Mathis & Anderson respectively. From a coaches perspective Why would you continue to have the last qb you have left who's been in your system all year, take 5 & 7 step drops to throw downfield if its so apparent that your line can't protect him? He'd already had a strip sack by Mathis & the game could've easily gotten out of hand if too much of that started happening.

Moreover, why would you want him throwing the ball up for grabs to the likes of Jones who at times can barely catch balls from 10 yds out? Those types of plays are reserved for the AJ's & CJ's of the league & we all know Jones is no where near that.

So yeah, there was some handcuffing by kubes in the colts game but it was more about protecting him above everything else.

You guys have to keep in mind that this guy is a 5th round draft pick & was a 3rd string for a reason as he was not expected to contribute this year at all. That means that he's likely going to need more work than normal to see if he's even capable of playing in this league.

Mr teX
12-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Agreed

A few deep balls even if they're incomplete to loosen up the opposing defense would be nice. I'm not advocating letting Yates throw the ball 35/40 times a game. But 20/25 times with 4-5 of them 20-25 yds deep should be enough to keep the defense honest. Even if you've got to max protect to give Yates time to throw the deep ball, it needs to be done. IMHO

But see the defense only loosens up if you burn them on a few of those &/or you've got a credible deep threat.

The last two games, we've been unable achieve the 1st part of this...ironically b/c we haven't had the 2nd part.

burro
12-27-2011, 12:32 PM
I haven't heard anything coming from Kirby that says there's a crisis of leadership with Yates on the field.

I also don't think the playbook is nearly as closed as you all seem to think. In any case it was a collective handcuffing job by all parties involved. In the colts game there were clearly times where Yates could've aired it out deep, he just didn't; i know at least twice the commentators mentioned that "he wanted to go deep there". That's typical of rookie qb play as they typically do come in too skittish & don't trust what they see. And after the worst game of his career against Carolina where he threw some costly picks, I think he just handcuffed himself a bit in the colts game.

The other end of it is Winston & Caldwell were getting their lunches ate by Mathis & Anderson respectively. From a coaches perspective Why would you continue to have the last qb who's been in your system all year take 5 & 7 step drops to throw downfield if its so apparent that your line can't protect him? He'd already had a strip sack by Mathis the game could've easily gotten out of hand if too much of that started happening.

Moreover, why would you want him throwing the ball up for grabs to the likes of Jones who at times can barely catch balls from 10 yds out? Those types of plays are reserved for the AJ's & CJ's of the league & we all know Jones is no where near that.

So yeah, there was some handcuffing by kubes in the colts game but it was more about protecting him above everything else.

You guys have to keep in mind that this guy is a 5th round draft pick & was a 3rd string for a reason as he was not expected to contribute this year at all. That means that he's likely going to need more work than normal to see if he's even capable of playing in this league.

Not a crisis of leadership, but it's pretty clear that Kubiak doesn't trust T.J. as much as is needed. You don't run the ball on 3rd and 15, 3rd and 8, etc if you trust your QB and when you demonstrate that you don't that sends a message to the rest of the team and perhaps more importantly, the opposing team. It's not hard to shut down a great running game when you know that the coach gets squeamish at the idea of throwing the ball around. Make no mistake, I'm 100% behind T.J. - but if Kubiak isn't then he needs to cut his losses and put someone in who he is behind. Presumably, this would be Delhomme...god help us.

Furthermore, as you mentioned, the pass blocking from the right side of the line was awful in the last game and I'm sure that didn't do T.J. any favors. None-the-less, you can't play this game afraid of someone getting injured. It's just something that happens and if you're a truly great team you overcome it. Ideally, we would have realized that the line-up we had at oline wasn't working and tried some sort of adjustment at half-time, but that's for another thread. Simply put, you don't shut it down unless it's an emergency situation (after Leinart goes down in Jacksonville, for example).

As far as the WRs go, we're only down one guy. AJ aside, we need more than one WR to be truly successful in the passing game regardless of who's behind center. You can pin this one on Kubiak too, but that's also for another thread.

And finally, yes Yates is a 5th round rookie who will need long term work. I don't think anyone believes that he's the second coming of Brady, but he has shown potential and, unless you want to send Delhomme or a geriatric Jeff Garcia under center, he's all we got.

El Tejano
12-27-2011, 12:43 PM
What time is our playoff game and what day?

Mr teX
12-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Not a crisis of leadership, but it's pretty clear that Kubiak doesn't trust T.J. as much as is needed. You don't run the ball on 3rd and 15, 3rd and 8, etc if you trust your QB and when you demonstrate that you don't that sends a message to the rest of the team and perhaps more importantly, the opposing team. It's not hard to shut down a great running game when you know that the coach gets squeamish at the idea of throwing the ball around. Make no mistake, I'm 100% behind T.J. - but if Kubiak isn't then he needs to cut his losses and put someone in who he is behind. Presumably, this would be Delhomme...god help us.

Furthermore, as you mentioned, the pass blocking from the right side of the line was awful in the last game and I'm sure that didn't do T.J. any favors. None-the-less, you can't play this game afraid of someone getting injured. It's just something that happens and if you're a truly great team you overcome it. Ideally, we would have realized that the line-up we had at oline wasn't working and tried some sort of adjustment at half-time, but that's for another thread. Simply put, you don't shut it down unless it's an emergency situation (after Leinart goes down in Jacksonville, for example).

As far as the WRs go, we're only down one guy. AJ aside, we need more than one WR to be truly successful in the passing game regardless of who's behind center. You can pin this one on Kubiak too, but that's also for another thread.

And finally, yes Yates is a 5th round rookie who will need long term work. I don't think anyone believes that he's the second coming of Brady, but he has shown potential and, unless you want to send Delhomme or a geriatric Jeff Garcia under center, he's all we got.

Well, there aren't many plays for 3rd & 15, the prudent thing to do at that point probably was to just run it & play the field position game. 3rd & 8, ok you can throw the ball....but you've got a guy in the backfield who was absolutley gashing the colts run defense & honestly when you take that into consideration, you could go either way. In any case, i don't think any of that was about trusting Yates. Probably had more to do with getting the ball in your best playmaker's hands.

But Lol at the bolded, you make it sound like AJ is just another run of the mill guy out there. Dude is arguably the best in the league & teams are aware of him at all times, that's not exactly something to be taken for granted. i do feel Yates has good repore with Walter, but without the spacing that AJ creates for him, he can't get open..this has been known for a while now.

All that being said, i don't think there's an unwillingness to work other WR's in, they just aren't good enough. More importantly, i don't think that this translates into Kubiak not trusting Yates...Maybe Yates just doesn't trust them.

Surreal McCoy
12-27-2011, 12:52 PM
I say play all the starters like a regular game. No need to sit anyone one, we need to go into the playoffs with a win instead of another lose which would make it 3 in a row. Seems like after we clinched it has not gone our way. Let's beat the crap out of the Titans and go into the playoffs with confidence!!

This. How many times have we seen a heavily favoured team with a bye lose because they lost their mojo during their off-week? Play'em all, we need reps, and it's not like we can really suffer more injuries than we have already.

EVOLVIST
12-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Isn't the answer already here? Case closed it looks like:

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Watt-Texans-on-importance-of-Titans-game/b1082b44-4450-4b1e-9d64-27c85594cd02

El Tejano
12-27-2011, 01:19 PM
What time and date is the game? Does anyone know?

TexansFanatic
12-27-2011, 01:29 PM
What time and date is the game? Does anyone know?

Saturday, January 7th, 2012. Time still to be determined.

IDEXAN
12-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Saturday, January 7th, 2012. Time still to be determined.
January 7th, 2012

AFC Wildcard #1 vs AFC Wildcard #4

NFC Wildcard #2 vs NFC Wildcard #3

January 8th, 2012
AFC Wildcard #2 vs AFC Wildcard #3

NFC Wildcard #1 vs NFC Wildcard #4
http://www.nflfootballschedule.org/2011/08/2012-nfl-playoff-schedule/
Based on this info. I'd feel fairly confidant in predicting that the NFL will slot the late game for either @ NY (Giants) or the Cowboys in Arlington because one of those teams will win the NFC East, which will be the #2 NFC Wildcard. Therefor look for the Texans game @ Reliant to be the early Saturday game with a kickoff of probably 'bout 3 PM, EST.

thunderkyss
12-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Not a crisis of leadership, but it's pretty clear that Kubiak doesn't trust T.J. as much as is needed. You don't run the ball on 3rd and 15, 3rd and 8, etc if you trust your QB and when you demonstrate that you don't that sends a message to the rest of the team and perhaps more importantly, the opposing team.

There were four 3rd & long situations where we ran the ball.

One, we ran a draw. Not out of the ordinary.

Two, Tj just got sacked something aweful on the previous down....

Three, at the end of the game, to run the clock down to the 2 minute warning.

I don't know what the other one was, but the three I recall do not say, "no confidence" to me.

Double Barrel
12-27-2011, 02:37 PM
You play to win the game, but you play the game to win a championship.

Kubiak & Co. must make a decision for what is best for the team. If that means starting everyone, resting everyone, or a combination of both, then so be it.

I agree with Lucky that this isn't Kubiak's first rodeo, so whatever he decides will ultimately be his perspective of what is best for the team to win a playoff game.

Rey
12-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Play the starters a little, play the back ups a little. Starters need game reps and back ups can use this as a learning tool.

El Tejano
12-27-2011, 03:15 PM
They are a division opponent. You need to beat them. They wouldn't ease up on you. They would want anyone in their division not in the playoffs. You are the division champs....act like it.

Norg
12-27-2011, 03:20 PM
No question i would rest the starters and old vets im not riskin injury to a titan team who is going to be playing like its the AFC championship besides i want to play the titans in the WC round we pretty much know them and thats a plus

i would also give Jake delhomne and Jeff garcia some playing time

hell i dont even activate most of the starters and play the B and C team

Norg
12-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Isn't the answer already here? Case closed it looks like:

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Watt-Texans-on-importance-of-Titans-game/b1082b44-4450-4b1e-9d64-27c85594cd02

thats what the players say the Front office and Kubes might think something different

Ole Miss Texan
12-27-2011, 03:43 PM
The honest truth of it is that our starters really need all the practice they can get. If we go into the playoffs playing sloppy and off point, we're going to get killed in the 1st round. This team needs to get fine tuned, enter the playoffs with some momentum, and start playing our best football. We're in no position to "take it easy" and just assume we'll be a great team again next week. We've got problems that have to be fixed.

EVOLVIST
12-27-2011, 05:03 PM
thats what the players say the Front office and Kubes might think something different

Gary Kubiak says:

(on how he approaches the next game) “Well, we just need to keep going. We prepare like it’s any other game. We understand the situation and what’s going on from a standpoint of going into the playoffs. We got to find a way to fix some of our problems, get ready to play another game this weekend and play better than we’ve been playing in the last two weeks.”

(on if he will approach the game differently with nothing on the line) “No, we’re going to approach this game just like any other game.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Monday-practice/80467b87-6a5f-40f9-8b8f-6261dded1b16

Plus, Kubes comes from the Shanahan school, and ol' Mike didn't like to rest players. See Denver 1998 & 2005.

Lucky
12-27-2011, 05:57 PM
January 7th, 2012

AFC Wildcard #1 vs AFC Wildcard #4

NFC Wildcard #2 vs NFC Wildcard #3

January 8th, 2012
AFC Wildcard #2 vs AFC Wildcard #3

NFC Wildcard #1 vs NFC Wildcard #4
http://www.nflfootballschedule.org/2011/08/2012-nfl-playoff-schedule/
Based on this info. I'd feel fairly confidant in predicting that the NFL will slot the late game for either @ NY (Giants) or the Cowboys in Arlington because one of those teams will win the NFC East, which will be the #2 NFC Wildcard. Therefor look for the Texans game @ Reliant to be the early Saturday game with a kickoff of probably 'bout 3 PM, EST.
Did you read the disclaimer?

* Please note that the NFL has not released the times for the playoff games (http://www.nflfootballschedule.org/2011/08/2012-nfl-playoff-schedule/#). For the 7th and 8th, we know that the NFL will alternate which conference starts play each day, but we don’t have a guarantee on which conference will play first on the January 7th, etc. As more information becomes available the article will be revised. If you are making travel plans, please assume the most conservative approach to booking your flight(s) until we know the final game times!
This is not a NFL site. The NFL won't release the schedule until after Sunday's games have determined the playoff game locations.

PHAROAH
12-28-2011, 12:04 AM
Play them all let's beat the hell out of the Titans and get some momentum going into the playoffs.

Norg
12-28-2011, 02:01 AM

This is not a NFL site. The NFL won't release the schedule until after Sunday's games have determined the playoff game locations.

thats all media talk IMO

IDEXAN
12-28-2011, 07:06 AM

I did not, I missed it. Nevertheless I'm confidant about the Texans game being on Saturday and early Saturday because our game would be the lowest TV draw. Only exception might be if the Jets would be our opponent which might move it out of that lowest TV rankings/revenue spot because it would involve a team from NYC, the biggest TV market of all.

thunderkyss
12-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Anyone listen to the Gary Kubiak show? Or the Eric Winston Show?

Everything I've heard sounds like they want to win, & they're going to go at it as if they have to win.

Listen to Ben Tate here. (http://houston.cbslocal.com/2011/12/27/ben-tate-and-jacoby-jones-talk-texans-playoff-menality/)

Lucky
12-28-2011, 10:41 PM
I did not, I missed it. Nevertheless I'm confidant about the Texans game being on Saturday and early Saturday because our game would be the lowest TV draw.
That might be the case. A Houston-Cincinnati or Houston-Tennessee matchup wouldn't be a ratings winner. But, a Tebow-Pittsburgh matchup on Saturday Night would have the NFL drooling. And would move the Texans to Sunday.

IDEXAN
12-29-2011, 06:40 AM
That might be the case. A Houston-Cincinnati or Houston-Tennessee matchup wouldn't be a ratings winner. But, a Tebow-Pittsburgh matchup on Saturday Night would have the NFL drooling. And would move the Texans to Sunday.
Maybe, but does anything on Saturday even including a night game really stack up favorably again a Sunday PM game ratings-wise ?

Señor Stan
12-29-2011, 07:50 AM
People need to chill about this game...we got this.

Is it the last game of the season with no playoff implications? You bet it is...and it's KUBIAK TIME baby.

2006 vs. CLE - WIN
2007 vs. JAX - WIN
2008 vs. CHI - WIN
2009 vs. NE - WIN
2010 vs. JAX - WIN

Pushing this record to 6-0!

KA4Texan
12-29-2011, 07:53 AM
IMO if you are going to play Yates for the playoffs (obvious we are) you leave him out there the entire game.

Other key starters I say a 2Q game at most to keep the dust off them, other than that. you let the game play out as it will.

Nothing guarenties a W by playing all our guys risking injury as if the game was vital, just as nothing guarenties a L by playing our backups.

Sure, going into POs with 3Ls isn't ideal, but neither is going in with a rookie QB. I would rather risk the 3L streak going in than injuries to anyone else.

As I said before I could see Bud telling the Titans if they don't beat us, hurt us just to kill that much more hope, they are dirty enough.

thunderkyss
12-29-2011, 08:31 AM
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/files/2011/12/20110918_texans_miami_NdlT_027-306x212.jpg

Texans insist they need to win on Sunday

Win or lose, the No. 3 seed in the AFC playoffs is secure. Still, the Texans insist a victory Sunday is necessary.

Texan_Bill
12-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Re: Kubiaks top Priority Sunday: Beat Titans or rest Starters for W-C Playoff game ?

Both please... Score often and early. Get Dre some reps but then sit him after being up big by the 3rd quarter and dare I say get DelHomie some reps.

If that happens, I'm buying some Lotto tickets.

Wolf
01-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Arian Foster, Owen Daniels & Johnathan Joseph are inactive today for the Texans. Other inactives: 7 QB Garcia, 22 CB McManis, 33 FS Nolan, 65 G Brisiel.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150453800836314&set=a.98545451313.99616.51931216313&type=1

there is some of your answer. Get these guys some rest for playoff time

Hervoyel
01-01-2012, 11:28 AM
This thread has been here a while and I've thought about posting in it a couple of times. I've been undecided but I think Texan Bill has it right. "Both please"

The two aren't mutually exclusive. I'm ok with Foster, Daniels, and Joseph resting but the guys on the field need to take care of business.

welsh texan
01-01-2012, 11:51 AM
This thread has been here a while and I've thought about posting in it a couple of times. I've been undecided but I think Texan Bill has it right. "Both please"

The two aren't mutually exclusive. I'm ok with Foster, Daniels, and Joseph resting but the guys on the field need to take care of business.

I'm excited to see what some of these guys further down the depth chart have learned in a seasons coaching from Wade and his team.

Lucky
01-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Kubiak got it right. From sitting Foster, Joseph, Daniels, getting the reserves in early, getting Jake plenty of snaps, Andre a little action, and even going for 2 at the end.

Gary +1

ObsiWan
01-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Kubiak got it right. From sitting Foster, Joseph, Daniels, getting the reserves in early, getting Jake plenty of snaps, Andre a little action, and even going for 2 at the end.

Gary +1

Agreed. I fear we may be in the minority though.

Wolf
01-01-2012, 04:53 PM

Gary +1

I agree to.. I wanted to win but it was the right thing to do to get some guys healthier.

hell he was pulling starters and gave AJ reps. AJ needed some game day reps.. I saw nothing wrong there.

TheMatrix31
01-01-2012, 04:56 PM

Gary +1

100% agreed. Wish we could have tried the 2pt conversion in full though. Would love to have practice on that.

ADTpaul
01-01-2012, 05:46 PM
they should have played for the win and momentum going into the playoffs....losing streaks have an effect on team moral.

Lucky
01-01-2012, 05:50 PM
they should have played for the win and momentum going into the playoffs....losing streaks have an effect on team moral.
Had the Texans gotten that 2 point conversion, they would have won. Would that one play made that much of a difference in regards to momentum? It would have been nice, not a determining factor going into the playoff game.

disaacks3
01-01-2012, 05:56 PM
No way they play Andre. And while you can't sit everyone because of roster limitations, guys like Maehl, Ward, Delhomme, Newton, Braman, Dobbins, and Harris can get plenty of snaps. And besides, it doesn't mean the the Texans can't win. Just another form of "Next man up".

Didn't see Dobbins or Harris, but some good calls in there!

Gary +1 Going for two BEFORE the penalty = OK, AFTER = not so much.

Lucky
01-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Didn't see Dobbins or Harris, but some good calls in there!
Dobbins forced that fumble that led to the last TD. And Harris played a lot of dime when the Titans went 4 wideout.

I'm just pumped for this playoff game. 10 seasons. Some verrrrry long seasons. I guess it more special than had it come in our 3rd or 4th year. Can't wait to be at Reliant next week, it's gonna be crazy.

GP
01-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Dobbins forced that fumble that led to the last TD. And Harris played a lot of dime when the Titans went 4 wideout.

I'm just pumped for this playoff game. 10 seasons. Some verrrrry long seasons. I guess it more special than had it come in our 3rd or 4th year. Can't wait to be at Reliant next week, it's gonna be crazy.

Hey, when you're there...think of old GP and other longtime TT posters here who won't be there.

Yell for us!!!

vupac1
01-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Going for two BEFORE the penalty = OK, AFTER = not so much.

It's the same theory.. just go for the WIN if we can get it great, if not who cares?

Just bc of the false start penalty doesnt mean you should suddenly change your mind set and kick an extra point to play an OT and risk further injury,

From the 3 or from the 7, end it with one play, win or lose.