PDA

View Full Version : Watt's Best Game?

dream_team
12-23-2011, 04:33 AM
To change up the tune around here... don't you guys think this was Watt's best game of the season? I think he dominated from his position. If it wasn't for the stupid penalties called against him, we would have won the game and Watt could be a strong contender for defensive player of the week (is there such an award?).

He was clearly frustrated with the refs... hopefully this game doesn't discourage him.

mussop
12-23-2011, 07:14 AM
To change up the tune around here... don't you guys think this was Watt's best game of the season? I think he dominated from his position. If it wasn't for the stupid penalties called against him, we would have won the game and Watt could be a strong contender for defensive player of the week (is there such an award?).

He was clearly frustrated with the refs... hopefully this game doesn't discourage him.

GREAT GAME by Watt! Absolutely should be in the running for DPOW award. Those penalties were ridiculous. He played his ass off and I hope the league aknowledges him for it and publicly announces the refs were wrong. Clutch play after clutch play by him.

TimeKiller
12-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Yeah, he was getting pressure, sacks, stops in the backfield, knocking down every other pass.....like a one man defense out there. J.J., we love you buddy, don't let those zebras get you down, you keep playing like that we'll be going places!

Easily his best game, save for Barwin's 4 sack domination on the Jags that was probably the 2nd best individual performance for any player on the whole team!

thunderkyss
12-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Has anyone ever seen this kind of domination from a 3-4 end?

I haven't. Ever.

TexansFanatic
12-24-2011, 03:00 PM
He was a fantastic pick. So happy the Texans got him.

burro
12-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Absolutely. Watt showed up to play, definitely doesn't look like he is going to hit the "rookie wall".

Carr Bombed
12-24-2011, 05:34 PM

I haven't. Ever.

??? Bruce Smith.

J.J. Watt did play great though and I'm glad we have him.

dalemurphy
12-24-2011, 07:04 PM

I haven't. Ever.

Watt has the same physical dimensions and athletic abilities as Mario Williams. Imagine how good a motivated Mario could be as a 3-4 DE.

I wasn't going to turn this into an anit-Mario rant, but, anyone notice how the rookie, Watt, has a more diverse set of pass rush skills than Mario does? Watt is going to be an elite NFL player, I believe.

TexansFanatic
12-24-2011, 07:17 PM

I haven't. Ever.

??? Bruce Smith.

Yes, Bruce Smith comes to mind right away.

So does Ray Childress.

In fact, I heard Watt compared to Ray Childress by somebody on draft day.

But I think Watt has a chance to be even better than Childress.

Carr Bombed
12-24-2011, 07:22 PM
Watt has the same physical dimensions and athletic abilities as Mario Williams. Imagine how good a motivated Mario could be as a 3-4 DE.

I wasn't going to turn this into an anit-Mario rant, but, anyone notice how the rookie, Watt, has a more diverse set of pass rush skills than Mario does? Watt is going to be an elite NFL player, I believe.

And it's not just the moves...he has the drive also. Which is what keeps Mario from being a great player. There is no quit in Watt and he plays just as hard on his last play at the end of the game that he plays on his first play in the game.

The entire front 7 now plays like that. Cushing, Barwin, Brooks, Smith, and Watt never stop coming and you can tell by the end of the game they wear down the opposition. I hope there's a way we can trade Mario, I'd like to get something for him instead of just letting him walk. But if that's what happens..oh well.

TheMatrix31
12-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Dude won us the Indy game.

Animals. Cushing, Watt, Reed, Barwin. Animals.

thunderkyss
12-24-2011, 07:25 PM

Watt is a damns good player, and I'm glad he is on our team. But he is not a pass rusher.. a 3-4 DE is not a pass rusher.

Carr Bombed
12-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Watt is a damns good player, and I'm glad he is on our team. But he is not a pass rusher.. a 3-4 DE is not a pass rusher.

Watt has had 3 or 4 sacks taken away from him due to penalties..

As a rookie he already has 5.5 sacks (more sacks than Mario had as a rookie) so if you take away his penalties he'd be close to 10 sacks on the season. I'd call him a pass rusher. 3-4 DEs typically aren't pass rushers, but the special 3-4 ends are (B. Smith, R. Seymour, ect)...and I think Watt is one of those special players...he's definitely a capable pass rusher and one of those rare cats who could rush the QB in any defensive front. Hell he could even be a pro bowl caliber DT in a 4-3, there's not a spot on the line that he couldn't play at a very high level..he's very versatile.

Fred
12-24-2011, 07:41 PM
In a league with honest and competent officiating Watt would have had a great game. In the current NFL, he had a terrible game.

In the future, he should refuse to wear a helmet so when a QB ducks his head down it won't be a helmet to helmet penalty. And instead of letting O Linemen push him into the QB's legs he needs to throw O Linemen into the QB's legs. Coaches need to teach defensive players to grab a QB's throwing arm and don't touch him anywhere else.

JimBaker488
12-24-2011, 11:18 PM
Watt could play any position on the 3-4 or 4-3 DLines. I think that the 4-3 strong-side DE would be his best postion, yes he's even more suited for that than 3-4 DE IMO.