PDA

View Full Version : Watts roughing the passer

Yankee_In_TX
12-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Ummm, can ANYONE explain that to me, or is it just pure b.s.?

(in other news, enough freakin' blocks in the back on punts!)

Thorn
12-22-2011, 08:28 PM
pure bs

4x4tx
12-22-2011, 08:28 PM
I'm so sick of refs effecting the game do much...horrible call

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

SheTexan
12-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Refs hate us!! That'a a FACT!!

LikeMike
12-22-2011, 08:53 PM
To me that was a textbook sack. I have no idea whatever they could`ve seen there. Helmet to helmet? Please...

Ryan
12-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Might as well put flags on the QBs.

EllisUnit
12-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Might as well put flags on the QBs.

haha yeah let them throw the flags when they "feel" they have been the victim of real football, and not this powder puff game they call football.

Ryan
12-22-2011, 08:59 PM
haha yeah let them throw the flags when they "feel" they have been the victim of real football, and not this powder puff game they call football.

I was meaning like for flag football, can't touch them at all, just grab the flag. That's the route the NFL is heading sad to say. Not even the same NFL it was 5 years ago much less in the 70's.

TexansFanatic
12-22-2011, 09:00 PM
Really sad to see what has happened to the NFL.

EllisUnit
12-22-2011, 09:03 PM
I was meaning like for flag football, can't touch them at all, just grab the flag. That's the route the NFL is heading sad to say. Not even the same NFL it was 5 years ago much less in the 70's.

well i say give the QBs flags, and then they can go ahead and save the refs from wearing their arms out over B.S calls. Whyd do QBs even need to wear pads anymore ?

PhilpW
12-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Again, it won't show up as much in the stats, but it changes field position and momentum. Officials should be more accountable. It's becoming to obvious how either inept or crooked these guys are.

PhilpW
12-22-2011, 10:21 PM
You can't beat the refs.

egomaniac247
12-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Wow, I'm a Cardinals fan, no affiliation to the Texans at all and I have to come on here and say you guys got straight up ROBBED by the refs in this game.

edo783
12-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Wow, I'm a Cardinals fan, no affiliation to the Texans at all and I have to come on here and say you guys got straight up ROBBED by the refs in this game.

Pretty much.

CloakNNNdagger
12-22-2011, 10:33 PM
To me that was a textbook sack. I have no idea whatever they could`ve seen there. Helmet to helmet? Please...

Orlovsky lowered his head into it.

egomaniac247
12-22-2011, 10:34 PM

I just would like the NFL to come out and say they were wrong on that hit. If they maintain that this was a penalty then we might as well just go ahead and strap flag belts onto the QB's.

That was ridiculous.

BullNation4Life
12-22-2011, 10:38 PM
Which Roughing the passer? Watt got called for hitting Orvlosky below the knees, which he actually was pushed into Orvlosky's knees.

Was there another he got called on? Watt got an illegal hands to the face by grabbing the O-lineman's facemask...

c10x
12-22-2011, 10:49 PM
Really sad to see what has happened to the NFL.

QFT.

It's just embarrassing.

Blake
12-23-2011, 11:25 AM
I still cant get over this one.

Watt flagged for form tackle on QB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fPxDpGhyhE4

The NFL should be ashamed of this.

kiwitexansfan
12-23-2011, 11:30 AM

If that is the facemasking penalty, he facemasked the OL as he broke away to make the form tackle.

jaayteetx
12-23-2011, 11:32 AM
I just would like the NFL to come out and say they were wrong on that hit. If they maintain that this was a penalty then we might as well just go ahead and strap flag belts onto the QB's.

That was ridiculous.

If they don't fine Watt, and they won't, thats pretty much what they're saying.

BullNation4Life
12-23-2011, 11:32 AM

WoW.....just....Wow I didn't see that one. There needs to be an investigation on that ref crew....

Hervoyel
12-23-2011, 11:33 AM
This game was fixed. That's all I keep coming back to. Now maybe the intention wasn't necessarily for one team to win over the other. Maybe they just intended to keep the game competitive and interesting for the television audience but regardless it resulted in the Colts having an advantage.

This games outcome was altered by the officials intentionally. I've always been the first to complain about posters who cry about the refs but this was unmistakable.

jaayteetx
12-23-2011, 11:34 AM

Exactly. Are they gonna start coaching qbs to lower their head and draw a penalty now?

BullNation4Life
12-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Exactly. Are they gonna start coaching qbs to lower their head and draw a penalty now?

wouldn't you if you knew it would draw a 15 yard roughing the passer? This will the the equivalent of the NBA's flop....

dream_team
12-23-2011, 11:52 AM

If you saw a sack coming, might as well initiate the helmet-to-helmet yourself... and get the penalty. Not saying Dan O did that intentionally, but that's basically what he did right there.

mussop
12-23-2011, 12:03 PM

This is where the refs need to get their act together. Once the defensive player commits to the tackle they can't stop. If the offensive player then puts himself in a position that causes the illegal contact the recs need to use their judgement and not go by the letter of the law so to speak.

If this cOntonues to happen and they are going to use the excuse "things happen really fast" then make it reviewable.

The Cush
12-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Unbelievable! The ONLY way I feel good about this game, is if the Jags lay down next week and the Colts don't get a shot at Luck. I know, he hasn't played a snap yet in the NFL and COULD be a bust but I would rather him not pan out to what they are saying he is going to be as a Colt. How funny would that be if the three teams the Colts beat are the 3 teams in their division not wanting to see Luck for 10 plus years.

edwardc5637
12-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Total Bs the league has the minds made up on who they want to win.

ObsiWan
12-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Unbelievable! The ONLY way I feel good about this game, is if the Jags lay down next week and the Colts don't get a shot at Luck. I know, he hasn't played a snap yet in the NFL and COULD be a bust but I would rather him not pan out to what they are saying he is going to be as a Colt. How funny would that be if the three teams the Colts beat are the 3 teams in their division not wanting to see Luck for 10 plus years.

This plus the doctors say that Manning is medically unable to play and has to retire.
Now that would be justice.

Hervoyel
12-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Jerome Boger was the ref last night and he's known to call a very ticky-tack game. It's what he does. If you want someone to keep a good defense in check he's your man.

mussop
12-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Jerome Boger was the ref last night and he's known to call a very ticky-tack game. It's what he does. If you want someone to keep a good defense in check he's your man.

Well mr Booger needs to find a new line of work because he sucks at reffing. Thank god he is not a judge in our legal system. He has zero ability to make a judgment call and obviously goes strictly by the letter.

GuerillaBlack
12-23-2011, 01:23 PM
This game was fixed. That's all I keep coming back to. Now maybe the intention wasn't necessarily for one team to win over the other. Maybe they just intended to keep the game competitive and interesting for the television audience but regardless it resulted in the Colts having an advantage.

This games outcome was altered by the officials intentionally. I've always been the first to complain about posters who cry about the refs but this was unmistakable.

Only conclusion I can come to. Last night's game was the worst officiating I have ever seen in an NFL game. Downright terrible the calls the Texans were getting, while TJ Yates was getting hit in the facemask (with a ref looking at it right behind him) and nothing was called. Oh, but here comes JJ Watt with a textbook tackle on Orvlosky and it's a penalty.

b0ng
12-23-2011, 01:27 PM
The low hit roughing the passer penalty watt (or barwin possibly) got called for on the last drive was just as terrible. OLinemen should also be taught to push any pass rusher into the QB for a free 15 yards if it's going to get called like that every time.

Porky
12-23-2011, 01:31 PM
Booger is a freaking moron and btw Mr. Booger, I just took you off my Christmas card list. That Booger needs to be straight up fired along with the rest of the crew. Now there's a crew that needs to be standing in the unemployment line.

Texanator
12-23-2011, 01:40 PM
If that is the facemasking penalty, he facemasked the OL as he broke away to make the form tackle.

Did you even watch the clip? It was the roughing the passer call on 3rd and 5 which kept that drive alive and ultimately the ensuing score, costing us the game.

Say Watt
12-23-2011, 01:55 PM
I just started screaming and yelling again after rewatching that bull shit call. That was the single worst call I have ever seen. That hit was in no way malicious, was a textbook tackle, and their helmets barely collided. The fact that Orlovsky was the one who lowered his head should be a moot point.

I hope Bob McNair goes nuts on Goodell over this. Watt got robbed of a perfectly executed and beautiful play.

Seņor Stan
12-23-2011, 02:05 PM
I just started screaming and yelling again after rewatching that bull shit call. That was the single worst call I have ever seen. That hit was in no way malicious, was a textbook tackle, and their helmets barely collided. The fact that Orlovsky was the one who lowered his head should be a moot point.

I hope Bob McNair goes nuts on Goodell over this. Watt got robbed of a perfectly executed and beautiful play.

Worst "roughing the passer" call I have ever seen. I don't see how Watt could have gone any lower than he did without taking out DanO's knees.

TheEastwood
12-23-2011, 02:36 PM
Boger is the ref that high fived VY during the MNF game a couple years back against us. Think he was biased in that game?

Yankee_In_TX
12-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Ummm, can ANYONE explain that to me, or is it just pure b.s.?

(in other news, enough freakin' blocks in the back on punts!)

The irony, at the time this thread was posted, there had only been ONE bs roughing the passer call on Watts.

ADTpaul
12-24-2011, 07:45 AM
I just don't understand why flags are being thrown so easily now? How the heck is that SACK called a roughing the passer eh?

edo783
12-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Boger is the ref that high fived VY during the MNF game a couple years back against us. Think he was biased in that game?

Did not realize it was the same guy. THAT needs to be looked into. May just be an apperance thing, but there are too many items where this guy is involved with us. Looks more than a little suspicious when it happens in a pattern fashion in one game and but then it happens again in another???????

Ranger Tom
12-26-2011, 11:05 AM
I just don't understand why flags are being thrown so easily now? How the heck is that SACK called a roughing the passer eh?
QB wearing a Colts jersey; Mr. Boger must have mistaken him for one of the League's Stars.

thunderkyss
12-30-2011, 04:09 PM
The NFL has spoken (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2011/12/texans-watt-intends-to-appeal-fine-for-hit-on-qb/)

Watt, who appeared to be shoved by a blocker into Orlovsky from the rear on the play, said he intends to appeal the fine, which was believed to be $10,000

drunkcookie
12-30-2011, 04:16 PM
Ya know, it's so effin' ridiculous to begin with, but you at least hold up the hope that it was a bad call and it won't be called most of the time... But instead, the league actually reviewed the play and decided it was a penalty, hence the fine... Time's a tickin', soon players won't be able to rush the passer...

Double Barrel
12-30-2011, 04:47 PM
The NFL has spoken (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2011/12/texans-watt-intends-to-appeal-fine-for-hit-on-qb/)

I've been trying to tell y'all that the rule sucks but it was enforced correctly.

I don't like it anymore than anyone else, but I understand it. The Texans did not lose because of the refs. They lost because they played down to the Colts' level.

GP
12-31-2011, 04:18 PM
They lost because they played down to the Colts' level.

Agreed.

I felt it the whole game. I think even the refs were subconsciously affected by it, too.

When I was a competitor in rodeo, back in my glory days of high school and college, I would always perform better if I knew that my competition (other cowboys who were in the same event as me) were REALLY good at what they did. If I was in a rodeo where it was just some po-dunk scrubs with no talent, I tended to screw up and play down to that level.

My mom would always remind me of the trap or temptation of playing down to your competition. It's a mental thing, tbh.

Orlovsky had his TJ Yates moment against us, folks. Period. He found his helmet and he was able to beat our defense in a key moment. I thought it was classy of GK to walk to midfield and congratulate Orlovsky like he did. I don't think I could have done that, tbh.

That was easily the low point of the season for me. I can't have that same low point feeling vs. the Titans tomorrow. Beating them tomorrow keeps them out of the playoffs, and that's what needs to happen.

dtran04
12-31-2011, 04:20 PM
NFL indirectly states that the stupid helmet to helmet was a bad call since he wasn't fined for that....