PDA

View Full Version : So When is a Good Time to Lock up Arian??

RunTexans
12-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Thoughts??

Thorn
12-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Lock him up? What's he done?

HJam72
12-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Right after we win the Superbowl. :texflag:

MistaRed
12-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Offseason.

RunTexans
12-21-2011, 01:13 PM
I was thinking, it would make more sense to lock him up before the season is up, that way other teams dont drive the price up. I understand he's restricted, so we have the rights to match, but why not just do it now and not wait for the price to drive up on him? especially with Mario and Myers hitting free agency.

El Tejano
12-21-2011, 01:17 PM
I was thinking, it would make more sense to lock him up before the season is up, that way other teams dont drive the price up. I understand he's restricted, so we have the rights to match, but why not just do it now and not wait for the price to drive up on him? especially with Mario and Myers hitting free agency.

I'm sure his agent won't let him sign before the offseason.

VTexan
12-21-2011, 01:24 PM
Lock him up? What's he done?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsfikkvXmR1qkbwyb.jpg

kiwitexansfan
12-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Never, lets not overpay the fumbler.

The system makes the back anyway.

:kitten:

:sarcasm:

Blake
12-21-2011, 01:55 PM
The sooner the better. I dont like holding his contract over his head. But if he is ok with waiting until the offseason is here, then whatever.

disaacks3
12-21-2011, 01:56 PM

Agreed. I'm getting the feeling that Mario won't be here next year. Myers is another story.

EllisUnit
12-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Thoughts??

after he has a 2 fumble game, we can be like, this is all we can give you since you give the opponents so much. :) we'd get a hell of a deal :kingkong:

badboy
12-21-2011, 02:30 PM
I want to get the Mario situation resolved first to let us know how much we have to spend. Unfortunately that prob will not be done until just before draft. Arfian isn't going anywhere so no rush.

RunTexans
12-21-2011, 02:49 PM
I want to get the Mario situation resolved first to let us know how much we have to spend. Unfortunately that prob will not be done until just before draft. Arfian isn't going anywhere so no rush.

Why wouldnt Arian leave? I somehow feel he would have all the reason to if the right opportunity came...

Dutchrudder
12-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Arian's not going anywhere. He's a RFA that can be tendered for a 1st & 3rd for about 3.5 million next year. If it came to that, we could keep him in contract limbo while working out a deal with Mario, Myers and possibly Dreessen. It really just depends on how much cap room they have to use. I'd like to see Arian locked up for 4-5 years.

HOU-TEX
12-21-2011, 03:02 PM
Smith has made it clear he doesn't negotiate during the season. He'll have plenty of work to do this off-season

Ryan
12-21-2011, 03:05 PM
Why wouldnt Arian leave? I somehow feel he would have all the reason to if the right opportunity came...

He's a RFA. Even if he did leave we'd get top compensation i'm assuming. But he's definitely not going anywhere.

Texan_Bill
12-21-2011, 03:30 PM

Well there is that whole "Restricted" Free Agent thingy.

Whoops!! Ryan already answered.

Ole Miss Texan
12-21-2011, 04:03 PM
I was one early in the season that if push came to shove would be satisfied with Tate, Ward and draft another RB in the upcoming draft. I liked Foster a lot but didn't want to overpay for a RB and would use that capital elsewhere.

I don't like Foster any more or any less than I did back then, but I have really come to the realization that he is a special back. He's just not a very very good running back.... he's a difference maker. He fits this organization, this team, this scheme PERFECTLY and as much as I hate to say it, watching him really IS poetry in motion.

We won't do it until the offseason, but we need to sign him to a 4-5 year contract.

PS - He needs to quit fumbling the friggin ball too.

Texecutioner
12-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Now, if he is willing to sign a good deal that isn't close to Chris Johnson money.

Never if that's what he wants. RB's are never worth that kind of cash. Offensive lineman are.

kiwitexansfan
12-21-2011, 04:25 PM
As much as I appreciate Foster and his character and football skills, you don't break the bank on RBs, you use and discard.

The shelf life is too short and the risk is too high.

TdotTexas2Step
12-21-2011, 04:43 PM
As much as I appreciate Foster and his character and football skills, you don't break the bank on RBs, you use and discard.

You do when the RB is an elite RB and when your system is so dependant on a good one cut runner.

Led the league in rushing last year, and now the leader in yards from scrimmage this year. He's someone you don't just discard imo.

Texecutioner
12-21-2011, 04:46 PM

Yep. A RB can have his entire career changed on one play and I've seen that happen all to often. Domanick Davis was a perfect example.

And RB's success is based off the O line's impact and how effective they are at opening holes any way. That's where your hard money goes. If you've got a great RB with horrible run blocking, he can still be alright and over achieve, but it's going to effect things big time. If you've got great run blocking you can have an average RB back there looking like a stud that puts up really nice numbers where you aren't paying him jack.

Texecutioner
12-21-2011, 04:47 PM
You do when the RB is an elite RB and when your system is so dependant on a good one cut runner.

Led the league in rushing last year, and now the leader in yards from scrimmage this year. He's someone you don't just discard imo.

How has that worked out for the Titans and the Panthers??

TimeKiller
12-22-2011, 10:13 AM
I'm thinking somewhere around....

NOW.

EllisUnit
12-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Yep. A RB can have his entire career changed on one play and I've seen that happen all to often. Domanick Davis was a perfect example.

And RB's success is based off the O line's impact and how effective they are at opening holes any way. That's where your hard money goes. If you've got a great RB with horrible run blocking, he can still be alright and over achieve, but it's going to effect things big time. If you've got great run blocking you can have an average RB back there looking like a stud that puts up really nice numbers where you aren't paying him jack.

Cant that go for any position ? One play can end anyones career, how much their contract pays dont detrmine if they will get hurt or not. I think thats why RBs want big contracts cause they know they wont have very long careers.

Foster deserves big money. Not like CJs cause noone deserves that but he needs to get paid.