PDA

View Full Version : wade leaving after season?

awc713
12-18-2011, 09:36 PM
he's bound to get some head coaching offers, and i kinda wish the texans would just stick with him.

does coaching salaries affect the cap space situation? bob should just pay the heck outta wade to stay here.

thoughts?

So*Cal
12-18-2011, 09:37 PM
I hope he stays.

burro
12-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Couldn't we just pay him like a HC? He'd be worth every penny.

NastyNate
12-18-2011, 09:43 PM
he's bound to get some head coaching offers, and i kinda wish the texans would just stick with him.

does coaching salaries affect the cap space situation? bob should just pay the heck outta wade to stay here.

thoughts?

It only comes out of McNair's pocket. No impact on the cap, FWIW he's the highest paid DC in the league.

c10x
12-18-2011, 10:51 PM
To be honest, I really don't know that him getting offers is all that certain. Sure, he's done a great job this season as a DC. Outstanding job. But the deal is, he's 64, been coaching forever, and people know what to expect out of a Wade Philips head coached team. He's only a slightly above average HC, and that has been proven time, and time again. On the other hand, he's a lights out DC. While I would understand him getting offers, I honestly have to question what the guy pulling the trigger would be thinking. We all know whats down that road, and it isn't a super bowl.

edo783
12-18-2011, 11:04 PM
I expect him to get HC offers. However, I expect the team to name him Asst. Head coach and then back up a brinks truck to his front door. Both he an Gary will have more cash in their pockets next year and in my opinion, I really doubt Wade leaves after one season. After 3 years with the team and if we don't look like we are going after a Super Bowl well enough, then I could see him maybe making a change. However, at his age with a winning team and a boatload of cash he may just close it out here.

RagingBull
12-19-2011, 12:42 AM
And how many head coaching job offers has Dom Capers gotten? Same situation.

TexansFanatic
12-19-2011, 01:10 AM
There's not a chance in hell that an overweight, 64 year old DC who missed at least one if not several of his team's games lying in a hospital bed while they were in the thick of jockeying for playoff position is going to get a head coaching job.

Not. Going. To. Happen.

Hookem Horns
12-19-2011, 01:47 AM
And how many head coaching job offers has Dom Capers gotten? Same situation.

The difference is Wade has won everywhere he has been HC. Capers won in the beginning in Carolina where he was given a lot of advantages with the "win now" expansion rules that were in place back then. However that quickly faded and he was run out of town. We all know how he fared here.

I hope he doesn't get any offers however I think there is a decent chance he gets an offer because a lot of teams are going to be looking this offseason.

Hopefully Romeo Crennel won the KC job today by beating the Packers. The Dolphins? Colts? Jags? Rams (mistake if they fire Spags this early)? Bucs? Chargers? Who else will be looking?

I think Fisher gets hired before Phillips. Obviously a team would take Cowher before Phillips however I think he is holding out for the right job (NY Giants). What other candidates are out there?

Corrosion
12-19-2011, 01:49 AM
There's not a chance in hell that an overweight, 64 year old DC who missed at least one if not several of his team's games lying in a hospital bed while they were in the thick of jockeying for playoff position is going to get a head coaching job.

Not. Going. To. Happen.

If he took care of anything that could have become a serious issue going forward and his health is A OK .... We've seen stranger things happen.

I believe he's staying .... at least the length of his contract which I think is this season and next ?

Jaysol
12-19-2011, 04:49 AM
With the amount of HC jobs that will likely be open or in limbo this offseason, it would be ridiculous for you not to think he would at least be asked to interview. I can imagine he would likely entertain those offers. I just don't see a team being able to offer him the opportunity to win immediately as a head coach. Which is what makes me hope he stays here.

TexansBull
12-19-2011, 07:11 AM

Not. Going. To. Happen.

This.

Plus, he doesn't have the best head coaching history. Sure he has the winning records, but everytime it ends with a thud.

IDEXAN
12-19-2011, 07:18 AM
Wade we barely knew ya ?

TheMatrix31
12-19-2011, 07:27 AM
We have to give him permission to speak with other teams anyway.

badboy
12-19-2011, 09:56 AM
I want to post before this thead is merged with the other two with same topic & I can't find it later. I think Miami would be a good team for Wade. Very high draf tpicks that would allow him to add to the mix and the Qb has looked better than most expected. He could slide to #2 or be traded it Wade wanted to draft another QB. Kubiak had a comment last week that his philosophy is not to hold coaches back & do you think McNair would do that when he and Bum are so tight?

Wade has stated he wants another HC job and having a gall bladder removed does not hurt his chances. My understanding is the exact nature of the renal problem has not been identified. I hope he remains a Texan but if he wants (and he said he does); he's gone.

wolf123
12-19-2011, 10:13 AM
I don't see him getting a head coaching position. Teams are looking for younger head coaches and with wades illness that will hurt his chances.

SW H-TOWN
12-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Long time lurker or follower ever since I moved to Costa Rica. I also believe that owners and GM's will be looking for big name hires (Miami), hire internally (Romeo Crennel), or target a coach that shares some of the same personality characteristics as the guys from Detroit and San Francisco.

Carr Bombed
12-19-2011, 02:05 PM
We have to give him permission to speak with other teams anyway.

We have to give him permission to make a lateral move....when it's a promotion, he doesn't need permission.

noxiousdog
12-19-2011, 02:10 PM
The only team that I'm worried about is San Diego. Their last two coaches are Norv Turner, and Marty Shottenheimer.

Phillips fits that profile.

Brisco_County
12-19-2011, 02:17 PM
Yes, Wade will get HC offers.

But I think he stays for a combination of reasons: This is his hometown, his aging father is here, Wade's health is an issue, and he is the coach in waiting if Kubiak were ever fired.

Ktexan68
12-19-2011, 03:14 PM
The only team that I'm worried about is San Diego. Their last two coaches are Norv Turner, and Marty Shottenheimer.

Phillips fits that profile.

Except that he's been there, done that...

SW H-TOWN
12-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Crazy Daniel Snyder will fire Mike Shanahan and offer Wade $100,000,000!

noxiousdog
12-19-2011, 09:48 PM
Except that he's been there, done that...

Unless I'm mistaken, he was dc there, not head coach, which adds to the possibility I think.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

BullBlitz
12-19-2011, 09:51 PM
I would like to see him get another opportunity.

darnbni99a
12-19-2011, 11:09 PM

Not. Going. To. Happen.

This...