PDA

View Full Version : Worst NFL Commentator

Jimbobway
12-15-2011, 06:19 PM
SI polled over 200 NFL players on who they thought the worst TV commentators were, link here http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1112/nfl.players.poll.worst.commentator/content.1.html

Pretty funny, hard to find a lot of disagreement over the guys they chose, although the order is off...I've never heard of anyone that liked Skip Bayless so I thought he'd be #1...

disaacks3
12-15-2011, 06:38 PM
JAWS is #5...I prefer him over most!

PsychoLove
12-15-2011, 06:44 PM
I am surprised Randy Cross did not make the list!

brakos82
12-15-2011, 07:36 PM
Duckface at 15. :lol:

Khari
12-15-2011, 07:44 PM
gruden does kinda always look like he needs to poop or something :kitten:

Scooter
12-15-2011, 08:01 PM
i have michael irvin, skip bayless and mike mayock in my top 3 ... far ahead of anyone else.

infantrycak
12-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Proof once again that many football players are highly paid morons with really thin skin. Skip Bayless should be #1 to the extent they said screw the rest of the list. Aikman they don't like because he breaks shit down and calls it like he sees it. Dude is one of the best commentators out there. I have been waiting for us to get enough exposure for him to call some of our games.

Goldensilence
12-15-2011, 09:00 PM
Proof once again that many football players are highly paid morons with really thin skin. Skip Bayless should be #1 to the extent they said screw the rest of the list. Aikman they don't like because he breaks shit down and calls it like he sees it. Dude is one of the best commentators out there. I have been waiting for us to get enough exposure for him to call some of our games.

I think since he's with Fox we'd have to get a matchup with an NFC team for him to do a game.

I think he's one of the best by far.

Skip Bayless is a douche. But, he polarizes people and that gets him attention.

ObsiWan
12-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Only Irvin makes me want to change the station when I hear him speak. Although Simms, Bradshaw, and Millen come close.

I guess they didn't bother to ask why these particular guys got on the players' nerves. I'd kinda like to know that.

Lucky
12-15-2011, 09:19 PM
I don't always agree with him, but Collinsworth is about as good as there is these days as a color analyst. As far as studio shows go, I'm warming to the NFLN crew of Eisen, Mooch, Warner, Faulk, Sapp, and Irvin. They seem to have a good chemistry and they're not stiff.

TexanSam
12-15-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm very surprised that Collinsworth is #1. He comes off as a know it all at times, but overall he's a solid commentator. Skip Bayless should be #1.

GP
12-15-2011, 09:36 PM
I get tired of the schtick between Bradshaw and Long. They always start goofing around with one another and playing their inside jokes, then they start laughing hysterically and put their cue cards up to their mouth and lean over in their chairs to talk privately with one another while James Brown giggles and tale over them.

That show is LAME. It used to be good, but now it's just like watching junior high kids at the school cafeteria lunch table and they're all hopped up on Jolt Cola. Am I right?

THE WORST:

KORNHEISER: The #1 most irritating guy was Tony Kornheiser, but he's not calling NFL games anymore. Was there anybody as bad as him?

THEISMANN: Joe Theismann was pretty bad. Extreme hyperbole all the time, dramatics to the extreme when he talks about things.

MAGUIRE: Is Paul Maguire still calling games? He called Oilers games a lot way back when (on NBC) and he was a major league dyck the whole time...I guess it's only fitting since he was a Bills player back in his time.

COLLINSWORTH: I can't stand Collinsworth's delivery. It's so nasal and whiny sounding. He reminds me of Will Arnett on valium. He has good insight, don't get me wrong, but I don't like listening to him.

-----------

THE BEST:

MICHAELS: Al Michaels is THE BEST. Always has been, always will be. He knows when to talk, when to shut up, and his voice can make a wolverine purr. Suits so fine, makes Sinatra look like a hobo. Al Michaels is the balls.

AIKMAN: Low key, doesn't try to over-deliver, and knows his stuff.

BALDINGER: Long live Crooked Pinkie! He breaks stuff down, calls 'em like he sees 'em, and I just always like to watch him break film down and analyze stuff.

GP
12-15-2011, 09:40 PM
EDIT: Just now saw the list.

I would have put Joe Buck in my Top 3 "Worst" had I known he still calls football games. For some reason, I thought he was just baseball.

Listening to Joe Buck should be an alternative to sedation or anesthetic in a surgery. Because the guy can put you to sleep.

You know the nighttime "soothing sounds" machines that play white noise and stuff? It should have a Joe Buck setting. Zzzzzzzz.............

I think it's unfair that Bayless was at #8, too. Top 5, easily, IMO.

Unfair that Aikman was at #4. Why? I didn't get that.

brakos82
12-15-2011, 11:20 PM
What, no Gus Johnson as best announcer? That guy's like bacon, he'll make the most boring game ever exciting.

Playoffs
12-15-2011, 11:52 PM
Chuckie?
Sapp?
Mayock???

Worst?????

C'mon, man?

Hookem Horns
12-16-2011, 12:40 AM
I have always liked Collinsworth. He seems like cool guy. That poll lost all credibilty when it left off who in my opinion should be #1 ... Dan Dierdorf. I have to turn down the volume when he is on because I cannot take his constant arse kissing.

IDEXAN
12-16-2011, 11:07 AM
I don't always agree with him, but Collinsworth is about as good as there is these days as a color analyst.
I agree, Collingsworth is outstanding so it makes me wonder just what these
players base their evaluations on ?
Mike Mayoc is my favorite NFL-Draft analyst but just don't let him do any NFL games with PA based teams (Steelers & Eagles) because he's such a homer and totally lacks objectivity about players on either one of those teams in his home state. If you've heard him the last few weeks on the Thursday night NFL.COM games you know what I mean ?

PsychoLove
12-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Mine would be:

1. Skip Bayless
2. Cris Collinsworth
3. Randy Cross
4. Dieon Sanders
5. Joe Buck

eriadoc
12-16-2011, 11:19 AM
I cannot stand Ian Eagle. If going to the playoffs this year accomplishes nothing else, please let it move the team up beyond the Ian Eagle assignment.

SheTexan
12-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Tony Dungy! He needs to go back to coaching and leave the commentary to someone else.

Not crazy about Bradshaw. Much to animated IMHO.

Chuckie and Huey are nice to look at, but thats about all!!:smiliepalm:

BigBull17
12-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Mine would be:

1. Skip Bayless
2. Cris Collinsworth
3. Randy Cross
4. Dieon Sanders
5. Joe Buck

Deion? Really? He is one of my favorites, which is shocking since I used to hate him. No Jamie Dukes? He is awful. Close to Skip Bayless.

chicagotexan2
12-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Irvin and Keyshon Johnson and on occasion even Da certin Coach Diktus gets on my nerves.

disaacks3
12-16-2011, 11:52 AM

I don't always agree with him, but Collinsworth is about as good as there is these days as a color analyst. As far as studio shows go, I'm warming to the NFLN crew of Eisen, Mooch, Warner, Faulk, Sapp, and Irvin. They seem to have a good chemistry and they're not stiff.

I agree they are both quite knowledgeable, but both really come off as pricks at times.

PsychoLove
12-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Deion? Really? He is one of my favorites, which is shocking since I used to hate him. No Jamie Dukes? He is awful. Close to Skip Bayless.

Crap, I forgot about Jamie! Deion sucks, IMO. Pure Cowgirl homer.

TimeKiller
12-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Hard to argue with that list. Berman kills me, I can't stand him. The only thing I'll watch with him blabbering over is the draft and that's ONLY because I like the draft.

Collinsworth, Gruden, Jaworski, Bayless aka look-at-me-guy, Dingledorf, they can all suck it. The ex-player commentator thing is really annoying. I'd almost rather see some guy who is too weak to play beer pong commenting on something he studies religiously rather than some ex player who just parrots what he's told to say. Being an ex-player, to me, includes ZERO credibility to speak about the game.

The1ApplePie
12-16-2011, 01:36 PM
What about any ex-Pat player?

Any piece they do always seems to find a way to kiss Belichick's ass.

Teddy Bruschi: Charisma of a dead gopher. Most memorable for being a mediocre system player that gave himself a stroke with PEDs

Rodney Harrison: Dirty player and cheater. Constant Pat homer.

HOU-TEX
12-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Joe Buck. It could be the most exciting game in history and he'd still sound like his mom died. If it weren't for Aikman, I'd kill the volume every time I watch a game he has

El Tejano
12-16-2011, 02:26 PM
Some of those guys are "expert analyst" and not commentators. I don't understand for the life of me why Steve Tasker and Dan Fouts are not on that list. They show so much favoritism it's ridiculous. I guess they couldn't get a decent picture of Dan Dierdorf either because the only ones available are pictures of Dan hugging Ben Roethelisberger's genitles.

Which btw, anyone else noticed how now that we've become a winning team, we aren't getting the same sorry commentators anymore?

Jimbobway
12-16-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm surprised that Irvin and Sanders can even spell their own names. The fact that they are paid, to speak, makes me sad as a human being.

That being said I think that hating on Collinsworth just b/c his voice is annoying is an unfair analysis, he at least calls the game better than a lot of these others. Joe Buck adds nothing and is clueless, and Skip Bayless is a douche, so the hate for those guys is much more legit in my opinion.

kwayshauntay
12-23-2011, 05:02 AM
Dierdorf by a mile.

He likes to hear himself make ornate, hyperbolic statements, followed by the self-congratulatory chuckle.

toronto
12-23-2011, 08:08 AM
For me, the list starts and ends with Joe Buck. The man drives me crazy. He gets some of the world's greatest assignments, covers the best games, most exciting moments, and he refuses to 'up his game.' His calls in the NFL and MLB playoffs show me nothing that suggest he should be the top play by play man for FOX.

He is the anti-Dick Enberg/Al Michaels. I always loved Enberg and Michaels for making big events feel big, (Miracle on Ice, SB, Wimbledon) and bringing that enthusiasm and energy, even love back home to the viewers.

sometexansfan
12-26-2011, 07:02 AM
I have to say Matt Millen, because every time I see him, all I can think about it is 0-16.

steelbtexan
12-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Cant stand listening to Willcotts intelligently stumble over the english language. Cant stand Schein on Sirius either, his voice reminds me of fingernails scratching a chalk board.

On the local level i dont like Granato for the same reason.

Carr Bombed
12-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Michael Irvin is the worst to me...miles ahead of everyone else IMO.

that guy can't even put 1 coherent sentence together and sometimes when I'm watching NFL TA, I swear he's high on drugs. Not because he's saying stupid stuff (which he can do completely sober), but he just looks like he's high as a kite every once in awhile. He makes my ears bleed and my I.Q. drops when I watch him. He's not competent enough to be on T.V. and I don't care where he goes..he just needs to go away.

imatexan
12-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Chris Berman really?

He is classic.

Skip Bayless would be my least favorite.

Texan_Bill
12-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Chris the "way over-played Burry Berman" is the worst.. Second place? Skip Bayless, although his brother is a very good chef in the southern Oklahoma area.

burro
12-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Perhaps he got a pass because it's his first season calling NFL games, but Brad Nessler is god awful. He and Mayock are a nauseating pair.

Mr teX
12-28-2011, 02:19 PM
#1 by far is Skip Bayless - *****, moron & just says alot of things to get a rise out of people.

way down the list are the other 4.

#2 Matt Millen / Emmitt Smith / Marshall Faulk - all these dudes stammer all over their words & state the obvious
#3 Randy Cross - Jackass
#4 Dan DierDorf - Jackass
#5 Gus Johnson - This dude is Waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy over the top
I don't know what the hell is wrong with folks, i love chris collingsworth, Jaws & Gruden & Aikman as former players & coaches who know what the hell they're talking about.

TEXANS84
12-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Joe Buck and Marv Albert is my picks.

Marv Albert butchered us constantly against the Titans..."Jacoby Ford! Houston Titans!"

jaayteetx
12-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Joe Buck and Marv Albert is my picks.

Marv Albert butchered us constantly against the Titans..."Jacoby Ford! Houston Titans!"

Gotta agree with Albert, he needs to stick to basketball, horrible.

kastofsna
12-29-2011, 09:39 AM
the problem with these lists is that there doesn't seem to be any metric as to what the "worst" means. Joe Buck for example always makes these lists, but when you really break down his ability to call plays, the dude is pretty amazing. he seems to see more of what's happening on the field at any given time than any other play-by-play guy i've heard. but, his personality turns people off, and i think he's also associated with the Cowboys (and the NFC East as a whole) and other hated NFC teams because he and Aikman make up the #1 NFC team, so it's easy to see it. even Dierdorf who sounds like a blustery blowhard is not bad at his job.

the worst are the former players and coaches who really have no charisma or ability to speak in front of a camera for too long. Dungy is probably the worst. Gruden is kind of silly overall but he knows what he's talking about, and despite everyone painting him as a sunny cheery "loves everyone" guy, he actually does throw a barb here and there at guys, moreso than anyone else i've heard, actually.

Gus Johnson is objectively the greatest.