PDA

View Full Version : Football Outsiders article on O-Line

ChampionTexan
12-15-2011, 12:32 PM
I know it's not who most folks are referring to when they complain about lack of respect from the National Media, but here's a good article from Football Outsiders that appears to be a direct response to more interest being shown in the Texans.

Houston's Zone Stretch (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/word-muth/2011/word-muth-houstons-zone-stretch)

Malloy
12-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Really good piece(!), very well explained.

props! :)

badboy
12-15-2011, 04:12 PM
enjoyed the read. Thanks, CT

thunderkyss
12-15-2011, 04:26 PM
I know it's not who most folks are referring to when they complain about lack of respect from the National Media, but here's a good article from Football Outsiders that appears to be a direct response to more interest being shown in the Texans.

Houston's Zone Stretch (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/word-muth/2011/word-muth-houstons-zone-stretch)

From the article:
First, letís talk a little bit about the personnel. The player that stood out most to me was right tackle Eric Winston. He really fits the scheme, and that shows how a good right tackle can be just as valuable as a good left tackle. Winston excels in the stretch running game, particularly on the front side. He always has his helmet in the right spot, and does a good job of getting movement both vertically and horizontally. He also has the ability to knock defenders onto his tight end and move up to the second level in combo blocks.

I know some people around here think my "football takes" are ludicrous & baseless. But, there was a time when I called Eric Winston the worst lineman on the team. That was before Pitts got canned & I think he was a negative influence on Winston.

Before Pitts left, the stretch to the left was the worse run we could do, because Chester didn't appear to want to stretch the play laterally & Eric did not want to cut on the backside.

But when Pitts got hurt & we had Studdard & Brisiel starting, all five linemen started "doing their job" & the running lanes started to open up.

I still think we run better to the right, as athletic as Brown is, Brisiel & Winston are road graters. We also pull Wade Smith more than we pull Brisiel which adds another dynamic when stretching to the right.

IDEXAN
12-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Good article C-T, and I also enjoyed the comments by the readers of that piece. Thanks for putting it up on the Board.

ChampionTexan
12-15-2011, 04:48 PM
Good article C-T, and I also enjoyed the comments by the readers of that piece. Thanks for putting it up on the Board.

Thanks for pointing that out - most of the comments weren't there when I first read and posted this. Going back and reading through them, you're right - they are pretty interesting.

NastyNate
12-15-2011, 10:58 PM
From the article:

I know some people around here think my "football takes" are ludicrous & baseless. But, there was a time when I called Eric Winston the worst lineman on the team. That was before Pitts got canned & I think he was a negative influence on Winston.

Before Pitts left, the stretch to the left was the worse run we could do, because Chester didn't appear to want to stretch the play laterally & Eric did not want to cut on the backside.

But when Pitts got hurt & we had Studdard & Brisiel starting, all five linemen started "doing their job" & the running lanes started to open up.

I still think we run better to the right, as athletic as Brown is, Brisiel & Winston are road graters. We also pull Wade Smith more than we pull Brisiel which adds another dynamic when stretching to the right.

I am under the same impression.