PDA

View Full Version : Marc Berman reports Wade Phillips is taking leave

chicagotexan2
12-14-2011, 10:12 AM
790 said Wade is taking madical leave of absence for a couple of weeks. Damn I hope he's ok and I hope the next man up mentality applies to the coaching staff. DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!!!

GuerillaBlack
12-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Hope he's alright.

Errant Hothy
12-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Prayers go out to Wade and his family, hope this isn't serious.

Has there ever been a season in Houston sports history filled with as much joy and angst at the same time?

Texanfan4ever
12-14-2011, 10:16 AM
What?

Heath Shuler
Get well soon.

steelbtexan
Hope he's going to be alright.

Hope he's not interviewing for the Dolphins/Chiefs job. LOL

BigBull17
12-14-2011, 10:18 AM
I guess it lets us see Vance Josephs DC abilities. Taking the leave now isn't the worst thing.

eriadoc
12-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Seriously? Well, there goes the chance at the #1 seed. The game vs. the Bengals would have probably been a loss if not for the halftime adjustments by the defense. Without Wade there to guide those things, I don't have much faith that the team can recover from opponents throwing new things at them. Cam Newton was already going to be a challenge with Wade in there, and the Titans have a pretty decent defense.

Texan_Bill
12-14-2011, 10:21 AM
It's so that he can take some time to set up after the season interviews with other teams. Get it out of the way now so he can stay completely focused on the playoffs.

Maddict5
I guess it lets us see Vance Josephs DC abilities. Taking the leave now isn't the worst thing.

nope reggie herring will be calling the D per mcclain

DexmanC

I said it in another thread:

Vance Joseph is Wade's secret weapon.

TheMatrix31
12-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Even our ****ing coaches are getting hurt.

Hope he's alright. We need the marshmallow man.

badboy
With all the recent hoopla and comments about his desires to be a head coach, a bit more info from organization would be nice. Reggie Herring takes over. 610 Am radio says a med procedure being done.

gtexan02
It's so that he can take some time to set up after the season interviews with other teams. Get it out of the way now so he can stay completely focused on the playoffs.

Seriously? How long is he going to miss?

HTown2ATX
WTF???

Caoch Phillips on medical leave for a "few weeks" per John McClain...just broke on 610 am

LB coach Herrington will call defenses for now....

Texan_Bill
12-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Seriously? How long is he going to miss?

Two weeks. He is supposed to talk about whatever procedure he is going to have after practice today.

TejasTom
12-14-2011, 10:24 AM

It will be a Reggie Herring.

HTown2ATX
12-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Oops....didn't see other thread....please delete....

Hope everything is ok??

MOre info after practice it sounds like....

Vinnie
12-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Hope he's going to be alright.

Hope he's not interviewing for the Dolphins/Chiefs job. LOL

Or worse...Jacksonville

hobie
12-14-2011, 10:32 AM
Well at least if it is only 2 weeks, this is a good time to do whatever needs to be done. Carolina is a NFC team and then the short week til Indy, so thats the 2 games there.. then after the 22nd there is a week and a half til the last game..Better he do whatever now.
Not that Indy is going to be a cakewalk, BUT, the way they are playing I would say that game should be a win, so that leaves this Sunday as the one to worry more about.
Not too concerned right now....but............

IlliniJen
12-14-2011, 10:33 AM
ARE YOU SERIOUS BRO???!!!

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/raford12/Zack%20Ryder/1-10.png

Rey
12-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Next man up?

Texan_Bill
12-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Well at least if it is only 2 weeks, this is a good time to do whatever needs to be done. Carolina is a NFC team and then the short week til Indy, so thats the 2 games there.. then after the 22nd there is a week and a half til the last game..Better he do whatever now.
Not that Indy is going to be a cakewalk, BUT, the way they are playing I would say that game should be a win, so that leaves this Sunday as the one to worry more about.

You'll be ready and on stand-by to give him sponge baths during his recovery time, no? :hobie:

SheTexan
12-14-2011, 10:36 AM
We are definitley SB bound!!! Our D will be UNSTOPPABLE!! They will do it for their coach!! Those boys have HEART, and they know where the first beat came from!! Nothing can stop us now!!:doot:

Thorn
12-14-2011, 10:37 AM
This season has been one catastrophe after another. Yet they keep winning. I have no idea what to think about all this.

I wish Wade and his family the best of luck.

pissknocker

Poor old man is taking medical leave and your not too concerned. Harsh. Hope all is well with Wadeand his family. you don't get to leave midway through the season for a minor rerasons.

Cjeremy635
The players have Wade's back. They've done nothing but praise him in their comments when talking about the defensive success. I think they'll go out and play inspired ball for him becuase they would never want to let him down. I think he means that much to them. Period. I'm not worried.

Dutchrudder
12-14-2011, 10:38 AM
http://memegenerator.net/cache/instances/400x/11/11986/12274631.jpg

amazing80
12-14-2011, 10:39 AM
Man I hope he is not setting up interviews with other teams.....I really hope he does not leave Houston after this season.....Hopefully Herring does a great job over the next few weeks to ease the heart ache in case Wade does in fact leave

BUT

If he is seriously sick and needs some procedure done, then this may actually help keep him in Houston where the dr's are phenomenal and his family is in the area....maybe this keeps him home!? plus who wants to hire a 62 year old who is already sick as head coach....

Doppelganger
12-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Poor old man is taking medical leave and your not too concerned. Harsh. Hope all is well with Wadeand his family. you don't get to leave midway through the season for a minor rerasons.

I am not too concerned at the moment simply becuase the way it was reported was that he would be at practice today. If it was serious, wouldn't he be going to the hospital ASAP? The fact that he is able to work today suggests to me that he is not too concerned and therefore I am not at the moment.

He said he would talk to the media after practice. So, I guess we will find out at that point.

Buffi2
12-14-2011, 10:46 AM
I wouldn't think that anyone would take a medical leave of absence to go interview for coaching jobs.

I would think that it would be important or Wade wouldn't leave in the middle of a play off/SB run but 2 weeks? That isn't very long for something seriously serious.

I guess we will know more after practice.

The players will rise to the occasion this week for sure - and I hope Wade sends little notes so they are also ready for Indy.

This is very depressing. My best to Wade and his family.

hobie
12-14-2011, 10:47 AM
You'll be ready and on stand-by to give him sponge baths during his recovery time, no? :hobie:

If needed...

TexanSam
12-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Even our coaches get hurt! Hope he's okay though. If he's supposed to be back in a few weeks then I guess it's not anything too major. Hopefully.

GuerillaBlack
12-14-2011, 10:50 AM
I am not too concerned at the moment simply becuase the way it was reported was that he would be at practice today. If it was serious, wouldn't he be going to the hospital ASAP? The fact that he is able to work today suggests to me that he is not too concerned and therefore I am not at the moment.

He said he would talk to the media after practice. So, I guess we will find out at that point.

It was a scheduled procedure, but who knows how long ago. Timed when we play weaker teams and after our toughest remaining game. He will be back before the playoffs.

hobie
12-14-2011, 10:50 AM

Not too concerned about the football side of things(that better?)... as for Wade, heck, I don't know what the problem is yet for me to be concerned over.. for all we know it is something minor, which is why it is reported only 2 weeks, which is actually 1 week football wise.. since 2 games this week...

ChampionTexan
12-14-2011, 10:52 AM
It was a scheduled procedure, but who knows how long ago. Timed when we play weaker teams and after our toughest remaining game. He will be back before the playoffs.

It would have been "scheduled" yesterday or this morning. The idea that a NFL coach would schedule any sort of "elective" procedure during the season is insane.

hobie
12-14-2011, 10:53 AM
I wouldn't think that anyone would take a medical leave of absence to go interview for coaching jobs.

I would think that it would be important or Wade wouldn't leave in the middle of a play off/SB run but 2 weeks? That isn't very long for something seriously serious.

I guess we will know more after practice.

The players will rise to the occasion this week for sure - and I hope Wade sends little notes so they are also ready for Indy.

This is very depressing. My best to Wade and his family.

That would be tampering via NFL rules.. so no, he's not taking a leave to "interview"..
Come on people.. are you that paranoid?

Hervoyel
12-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Hope Wade will be alright and everything goes according to plan. As for the Texans I'm not concerned. This team seems to feed on adversity.

I'm telling you people, this is the kind of season that changes franchises permanently. This is the kind of year that grows a culture of winning. You have to overcome crap like this to take the next step and we're doing it. If all this stuff happens to us and we lose because of it then we're not ready. Instead they just keep moving forward. That's impressive.

TexansBlood
12-14-2011, 10:54 AM
"Is this a dream"

HealingBullets
12-14-2011, 10:57 AM
I wonder if Wade put this off until we clenched...It seems like everyone is doing what has to be done,playing on broken legs etc

Well wishes to Wade and family

HOU-TEX
12-14-2011, 10:58 AM
I hope everything goes well with Wade. He's good people

That said, given how much of a spaz Herring is, I reckon he might be more agressive with play calling than Wade. However, I'm sure Wade has already widdled out a game plan for him.

Get well, Wade

False Start
12-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Aint this a b!tch.

Well, I hope Wade gets wells soon, and gets back for the drive to thje Superbowl! :trophy:

97roc
12-14-2011, 11:03 AM
I just realized Mark Berman is tweeting. About time... Steph must have finally convinced him.

IDEXAN
12-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Thoughts with you Wade & family.

NitroGSXR
12-14-2011, 11:05 AM
It would have been "scheduled" yesterday or this morning. The idea that a NFL coach would schedule any sort of "elective" procedure during the season is insane.

Kubiak and his apnea disagrees with you. Me thinks there's a red herring in there sonewhere.

ChampionTexan
12-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Kubiak and his apnea disagrees with you. Me thinks there's a red herring in there sonewhere.

Seems to me he missed the combine because of that. I don't believe the combine happens during the season.

Twitch-Houston
12-14-2011, 11:11 AM
I wonder if Wade put this off until we clenched...

That's what I'm thinking. Now that we clinched he can go have it done and be back for playoffs. With all the talk about him maybe be snatched up for head coaching position...depending on what this issue is, teams may be more cautious.

ChrisG
12-14-2011, 11:12 AM
After going after our entire team, the football gods are now attacking our coaching staff!!! :bat:

Glad he will be back for playoff time but would be nice to have him to increase our chances of a 1st rd bye.

PHAROAH
12-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Man I hope uncle wade get better but damn this is bad timing, well lets see if the other coaches paid attention and understand the defensive scheme!!!!

Buffi2
12-14-2011, 11:14 AM
As long as we are speculating - perhaps this was "scheduled" for after the season but then our after the season became booked - better now than January.

Just a thought.

Stephanie Stradley just tweeted that Kubiak said Phillips is expected to make a full recovery, but decision was done to get it done now. I don't know how to link this - if I figure it out, I will.

noxiousdog
12-14-2011, 11:18 AM
That would be tampering via NFL rules.. so no, he's not taking a leave to "interview"..
Come on people.. are you that paranoid?

Not only that, but Kubiak has always been very supportive of opportunities of his coaches. Phillips wouldn't have to have an excuse.

gary
12-14-2011, 11:19 AM
I wish Wade all the best and I hope Bob gives him a nice contract extension after the season because he deserves it.

Nawzer
12-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Wtf?! Hope Wade gets well soon.

Grams
12-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Hope Wade will be alright and everything goes according to plan. As for the Texans I'm not concerned. This team seems to feed on adversity.

I'm telling you people, this is the kind of season that changes franchises permanently. This is the kind of year that grows a culture of winning. You have to overcome crap like this to take the next step and we're doing it. If all this stuff happens to us and we lose because of it then we're not ready. Instead they just keep moving forward. That's impressive.

msr

We should be called the Timex Texans - takes a licking and keeps on ticking

Best wishes for Wade and a speedy recovery.

NitroGSXR
12-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Seems to me he missed the combine because of that. I don't believe the combine happens during the season.

Yes, that is what made his decision even worse. He chose the combine week to have his ELECTIVE surgery. How about the week before? After?

TexansBull
12-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Why didn't John McLain break the story?

srrono
12-14-2011, 11:34 AM
hopefully its just 2 games and this can be a audition for Reggie Herring as our future DC if Wade does leave to be a head coach next year.

Double Barrel
12-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Best wishes for Wade.

I wish I shared some of the optimism in this thread about our chances without Wade...

Señor Stan
12-14-2011, 11:35 AM

ummm that's Reg Herring....:)

MEGA SWATT
12-14-2011, 11:36 AM
:mariopalm: crap.

Hope he'll be ok.

thunderkyss
12-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Get out your tin foil hats.....

I wonder if this is "punishment" for his candid statements earlier. Beginning of the end maybe?

Mr. Texan
12-14-2011, 11:39 AM
:toropalm:

get well soon wade :texflag:

Buffi2
12-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Why didn't John McLain break the story?

Because this story is based on fact - John prefers to make things up as he goes along.

Hervoyel
12-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Maybe Bob is taking preventitive measures and having Wade fitted with a restraining bolt before he gets any job offers?

http://www.geekalerts.com/u/c-3po-vinyl.jpg

Maddict5
12-14-2011, 11:42 AM

I wonder if this is "punishment" for his candid statements earlier. Beginning of the end maybe?

:mariopalm:

thats ridiculous

NitroGSXR
12-14-2011, 11:46 AM
ummm that's Reg Herring....:)

No, I meant what I typed. Thanks.

Blake
12-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Maybe Bob is taking preventitive measures and having Wade fitted with a restraining bolt before he gets any job offers?

Beep beep bo beep boooo.....

http://images.wikia.com/disney/images/5/56/116.jpg

GlassHalfFull
12-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Best wishes to Wade for a quick recovery!

:d:

gwallaia
12-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Can't he call in plays from his hospital bed?

Heath Shuler
12-14-2011, 11:53 AM

Making him get surgery? Thats pretty hardcore

Blake
12-14-2011, 11:56 AM
Can't he call in plays from his hospital bed?

The bed-coach 3000. Its got it all. Pass plays. Run plays. Flea flickers and double reverses! The red button at the top is for Arian to enter BEAST mode. Also comes in black, blue, and puce.

http://www.velgos.com/royalty-free-stock-photos/cache/people/MG0522-hospital-bed-hand-tv-remote.jpg_595.jpg

Big Lou
12-14-2011, 11:57 AM
So now the next man up applies to our coaches as well. WTF!!!!!!!

Seriously.....

Foster's out a while, OK it happens.
Everyone starts pulling hammies, OK I get it.
Mario's out for the season, great figures.
AJ's out with a hammy and needs sugery, just keeps coming.
Mannings out for a couple of weeks, well at least he's not IR'd.
Schaub done, unbleivable.
Lienharts out, well of course he only last a quarter and a half.
The Punter pulls up lame, OK you have to be F-ing kidding me the Punter......

The DC is out on medical leave.............. uuuuhhhhhhhh.......Damn you Football Gods, damn you!!!!!!!!

If Wade comes back by the playoffs then you know a meteor will hit the practice bubble, this team is in full on Final Destination mode......

Playoffs
12-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Sounding like a stent to me.

My prayers go out to Wade and his loved ones. If you have to have a medical procedure, he's definitely in the right city.

Blake
12-14-2011, 12:08 PM
So now the next man up applies to our coaches as well. WTF!!!!!!!

Seriously.....

Foster's out a while, OK it happens.
Everyone starts pulling hammies, OK I get it.
AJ's out with a hammy and needs sugery, just keeps coming.
Mannings out for a couple of weeks, well at least he's not IR'd.
The Punter pulls up lame, OK you have to be F-ing kidding me the Punter......

The DC is out on medical leave.............. uuuuhhhhhhhh.......Damn you Football Gods, damn you!!!!!!!!

If Wade comes back by the playoffs then you know a meteor will hit the practice bubble, this team is in full on Final Destination mode......

Marc Vandermeer should probably stay in a safe room for the time being.

The Pencil Neck
12-14-2011, 12:14 PM
First off, get well soon, Wade.

Second off, I hope that Wade is here next year as our DC.

But finally, this two week period might be a try-out for our next DC if Wade goes to be the HC somewhere else.

We should look at this as a good thing. Let's see if Herring can run this defense anything like Wade does.

Marcus
12-14-2011, 12:32 PM
He wouldn't be taking medical leave at this time unless something was very serious.

DexmanC
12-14-2011, 12:41 PM
Maybe Rick Smith will strike gold on a Street-Free Agent DC.

GM of the Year goes to Rick Smith for this squad being so deep.

axman40
12-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Best Wishes and a quick recovery for Coach Wade.
:fans:

Cjeremy635
12-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Sounding like a stent to me.
My prayers go out to Wade and his loved ones. If you have to have a medical procedure, he's definitely in the right city.

My thoughts exactly. :goodpost:

Bull Butter
12-14-2011, 12:48 PM
He's getting the rest of Jerry Jones' knives removed from his back

Kthx
12-14-2011, 12:55 PM
What we need to do is always pick Down + B, thats the flea flicker play and everytime they pick it we will get a fumble from knocking over the quarterback before the ball gets thrown back to him.

bckey
12-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Get well soon Wade! Prayers for you and your family. I really think the defense will play inspired and want to get this one for Wade. As far as Wade possibly leaving for a head coaching job next season I just don't see it. I think he is happy here doing what he does best in his home state coaching in the same city his dad did. I really think the entire Texans situation in Houston from Owner, players, coaches, location etc fits Wade and he will stay here.

VTexan
12-14-2011, 01:07 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMoXjfmd2MAQLlKD12wo6SjKWjFn3b7 E56L1hHFYIKLzwPXBdWd_m6l6kZ

We need a new medical staff..

GP
12-14-2011, 01:15 PM
If he has a bite mark or a big, deep scratch on his arm....

He's been bitten by one of the zombies on defense.

No procedure can help him. He'll be turning soon. Just sayin'......

VTexan
12-14-2011, 01:18 PM

My reaction applies to this post as well.

GP
12-14-2011, 01:22 PM
My reaction applies to this post as well.

Just trying for levity here.

Deep down inside, I'm pissed that he mentioned he wants to be a head coach again. And now, he's "taking a leave of absence." Probably not connected, but still.

So that was my attempt at humor. Nobody had to pay me for it, so you could all stand to lighten up a bit and chuckle (and breathe). :bubbles:

BigBull17
12-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Maybe Rick Smith will strike gold on a Street-Free Agent DC.

GM of the Year goes to Rick Smith for this squad being so deep.

If this keeps up, we may actually have a homeless dude contributing on our squad at some point.

texanmojo
12-14-2011, 01:23 PM
The medical procedure is to remove Bob's foot from Wade's ass for stating to the media he would like to be head coach again.

KA4Texan
12-14-2011, 01:35 PM
I don't get his desire to return to HC, here he gets ALL the credit and NONE of the blame, unless he needs the money for a gambling debit and he values his knee caps, leaving a no lose situation behind..... doesn't make sense to me.

Hope he has a quick recovery.

Naiirb
12-14-2011, 01:57 PM
HoustonTexans Houston Texans
Wade Phillips: "It's an operation...I feel good. The doctors say they can handle everything...They see me getting back within 10 days."

Ole Miss Texan
12-14-2011, 01:59 PM
I haven't heard of any Wade's comments about wanting to be a HC again. Where/when did he say this?

Goldensilence
12-14-2011, 02:04 PM
Confirmed by ESPN

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7351813/houston-texans-coordinator-wade-phillips-taking-medical-leave

Is there a source for him wanting to go back as a HC?

Ole Miss Texan
12-14-2011, 02:05 PM
I haven't heard of any Wade's comments about wanting to be a HC again. Where/when did he say this?

Confirmed by ESPN

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7351813/houston-texans-coordinator-wade-phillips-taking-medical-leave

Is there a source for him wanting to go back as a HC?
Okay I found it. Ugh, I sure hopes he stays as a DC for a while. We've really got something special right now in Houston.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/31905/could-phillips-be-one-and-done-in-houston

ChampionTexan
12-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Kidney surgery - 10 days - no chemo

McLain's Tweet (https://twitter.com/#!/McClain_on_NFL/status/147026984671780864)

Houston Texans Tweet (https://twitter.com/#!/HoustonTexans/status/147026658128433153)

Double Barrel
12-14-2011, 02:08 PM

Here ya' go:

Wade Phillips hopes Texans' success turns into head coaching job (http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/article/Wade-Phillips-hopes-Texans-success-turns-into-2400384.php)

And, as he told the Chronicle Monday, he's hoping other teams have noticed and are appreciative, too.

"I think I have something to offer," Phillips said. "Look, I'm enjoying this. This is a super job. I want to be clear about that - I don't want anybody to think I don't enjoy what I'm doing and the people I'm associated with.

"I don't want to be somewhere else, but I'd like to be able to be a head coach again."

----------------------------

"I've had a lot of experience, and most of it has been winning," Phillips said. "I think that's what people want. It's not all me, but I do know how to do it. I've done it before."

He admitted he was embarrassed by such talk because it sounded as if he were boasting.

"It's not my personality," he said. "It's not me to say I'm the best or whatever."

Instead, he'd rather point to the facts - Phillips has spent the last 29 years as either a head coach or a defensive coordinator. After Sunday, he has reached the playoffs with the last eight teams in his first season serving in either capacity. He was 34-22 in Dallas before being fired, winning two division titles. He coached the last two teams in Buffalo that reached the postseason.

His overall win-loss record is 82-60, a percentage of .577, which, according to pro-football-reference.com, ranks Phillips among the top 50 coaches of all-time, ahead of such luminaries as Mike Shanahan, Bill Parcells, Chuck Noll, Mike Ditka, Jimmy Johnson and so many others.

Of course, all of those gentlemen have also won Super Bowls, which is only part of the case against Phillips, who realizes he might have an image problem.

"A lot of people have said I'm a good defensive coordinator but not a good head coach," he said. "No, I haven't been to the Super Bowl. But we've won a lot of games, and if you want a winner... That's my selling point."

----------------------------

"Because of the turnarounds, I think that's where my strength is - I can get you good quickly," Phillips said. "That's where everybody is, anyway. Nobody wants a six-year plan anymore - everybody wants to win now. As a head coach and coordinator, that's what I've done."

It sounds like more than just an answer to a question. It sounds like a lobby effort for a new gig.

jshabang
12-14-2011, 02:21 PM
so now the next man up applies to our coaches as well. Wtf!!!!!!!

Seriously.....

Foster's out a while, ok it happens.
Everyone starts pulling hammies, ok i get it.
Aj's out with a hammy and needs sugery, just keeps coming.
Mannings out for a couple of weeks, well at least he's not ir'd.
The punter pulls up lame, ok you have to be f-ing kidding me the punter......

The dc is out on medical leave.............. Uuuuhhhhhhhh.......damn you football gods, damn you!!!!!!!!

If wade comes back by the playoffs then you know a meteor will hit the practice bubble, this team is in full on final destination mode......

this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SheTexan
12-14-2011, 02:24 PM
Kidney surgery - 10 days - no chemo

McLain's Tweet (https://twitter.com/#!/McClain_on_NFL/status/147026984671780864)

Houston Texans Tweet (https://twitter.com/#!/HoustonTexans/status/147026658128433153)

I spit all over my computer with that comment he made about "not a vascectomy! " Wade keeping his sense of humor!!

GuerillaBlack
12-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Here ya' go:

It sounds like more than just an answer to a question. It sounds like a lobby effort for a new gig.

Wow. Not even here a full season and already trying to leave.

Malloy
12-14-2011, 02:28 PM

arh... nose tackle ;)

Wade, get well soon Sir, we need you back!

Malloy
12-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Here ya' go:

Or trying to get the best deal out of Bob.

Had he stated that he never wanted the HC gig again, people would be calling him a liar :)

Dunno which is true, I'm just enjoying it while it lasts :)

Malloy
12-14-2011, 02:32 PM
I spit all over my computer with that comment he made about "not a vascectomy! " Wade keeping his sense of humor!!

He could use one though :)

Goldensilence
12-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Here ya' go:

Looks more like a hard lobby.

There's going to be another opening likely in SD after the season to add to KC, Jax, and Miami. There's going to be opportunity. I just think its going to be hard one year removed for him to make a case for a HC gig again so soon.

SAMURAITEXAN
12-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Best wishes.

Get well soon. We need you Wade!!!

In Wade We Trust!!!

srrono
12-14-2011, 02:42 PM
This season is driving me crazy we cant have something good happen without something that takes the enjoyment of that good thing away.

Señor Stan
12-14-2011, 02:45 PM
No, I meant what I typed. Thanks.

I know you meant it...just thought it was funny that red herring sounds like Reg Herring.

drs23
12-14-2011, 03:33 PM

I'm pretty sure it's a Regg Herring. :D

HOU-TEX
12-14-2011, 03:40 PM
The Gobbler just Tweeted Phillips will have his gall bladder removed too

burro
12-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Thoughts and prayers are with Wade Phillips and his family.

I'll just say this; if there were no other way to keep Wade in Houston than promoting him to HC and saying happy trails to Kubiak, I would probably take it.

NitroGSXR
12-14-2011, 03:54 PM
I know you meant it...just thought it was funny that red herring sounds like Reg Herring.

That was also intentional.

The point was that I believe this "leave" is ultimately a diversion. For what? I don't know but I'm hoping this is an internal, private reprimanding for his comments the other day. Enter Red Herring aka Reggie.

Not to discount Wade's medical issues either... I believe they are very real. He is definitely in our thoughts. It's no fun being sick or injured. I am just a bit skeptical when it comes to medical (mis)information from the Texans.

rush2112mn
12-14-2011, 04:08 PM
I think any sence of a "emotional" letdown game just went out the window......this should keep the players on their toes......sad that Wade will be out at def coordinator.....get well soon Wade.....

CloakNNNdagger
12-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Houston Texans coordinator Wade Phillips leaving to have kidney surgery (h http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-12-14/houston-texans-coordinator-wade-phillips-leaving-to-have-surgery#ixzz1gYLxJyghttp://)

HOUSTON—Wade Phillips, the veteran coach who has turned the Houston Texans defense into the NFL's best, will have surgery this week to resolve a kidney condition and will be away from the team for a week to 10 days.

Phillips disclosed the medical issue Wednesday. He would not specify the condition, but said it is not life threatening, is not cancer, and that doctors recommended that he have the procedure.

He is the Texans' defensive coordinator.

Linebackers coach Reggie Herring will run the defense on Sunday when the 10-3 Texans face the 4-9 Carolina Panthers. Herring was linebackers coach when Phillips was Dallas Cowboys from 2008-10, and joined Houston's staff after Phillips was hired on Jan. 5.

Phillips, 64, is expected to return this season, which will include the expansion team's first playoff game, the Texans announced. But his leave is just the latest roadblock for the Texans, who've continued to win despite losing a key player to an injury every week.

Outside linebacker Mario Williams (torn chest muscle) and quarterbacks Matt Schaub (right foot injury) and Matt Leinart (broken left collarbone) are all out for the season, and star receiver Andre Johnson has a strained left hamstring after missing six games with an injury to his right hamstring. On Monday, coach Gary Kubiak said starting right guard Mike Brisiel had surgery on his broken right leg.

Phillips has probably contributed more to the Texans' success this season than anyone.

Fired as Cowboys coach in the middle of last season, Phillips has talked about feeling rejuvenated with the Texans. He took over the league's worst 2010 defense and implemented a 3-4 alignment before the season.
Wade Phillips will miss the Texans' Week 15 game to have surgery. (AP Photo)

Houston leads the league in total defense at 275 yards per game. The Texans rank fourth in rushing defense at 91.5 yards per game and third in pass defense at 183.5 yards per game, and have held each of their last seven opponents below 20 points.

The players credit Phillips with not only restoring confidence to the defense, but also creating a scheme that is fun to play.

"We're playing good defense all over," two-time Pro Bowl linebacker DeMeco Ryans said recently. "Of course it feels good, to be able to get out there and stop some people. You're definitely not worried about people scoring on you because you know everybody is being accountable. Everybody's holding up their end and knowing what they're supposed to do, so you're comfortable when you're out there."

Under Phillips' guidance, several Texans are having career years.

Linebacker Brian Cushing has regained his form from 2009, when he was the Associated Press Defensive Rookie of the Year. He leads the Texans with 86 tackles, and also has two interceptions and three sacks.

Outside linebacker Connor Barwin leads the team with 9 1/2 sacks after moving into Williams' role, and the same position where DeMarcus Ware excelled under Phillips in Dallas. Barwin, a converted defensive end, has 25 quarterback hits and seven pass break-ups. He had a franchise-record four sacks in Houston's 20-13 win at Jacksonville on Nov. 27.

Rookie defensive end J.J. Watt has 4 1/2 sacks and two fumble recoveries and leads the defensive line with 43 tackles, and rookie linebacker Brooks Reed, pressed into action after Williams was hurt, has already set a franchise record for a first-year player with six sacks.

Phillips has clearly found a new home in Houston under coach Gary Kubiak. He ran the defense in Denver from 1989-92, overlapping Kubiak's playing career as John Elway's backup for the Broncos, but their history goes back even further.

Phillips and Kubiak first met in the late 1970s, when Kubiak was a ball boy and Wade was an assistant for the Houston Oilers, who were coached by Wade's father, Bum.

TexansBull
12-14-2011, 06:42 PM
I think any sence of a "emotional" letdown game just went out the window......this should keep the players on their toes......sad that Wade will be out at def coordinator.....get well soon Wade.....

I think it just got harder for him to get out. Who wants a 64 year old with kidney problems to be the headcoach of their team for the next three years? That puts him at 67-68 with potentially more health issues on the way. AND this would be worse if he was the head coach missing time instead of the defensive coordinator.

Remember too Wade came into Denver after Reeves and couldn't win a Superbowl with John Elway but then Mike Shannahan came in and did it. Then in Buffalo he lost to Tennessee after Flutie led the team all season only to be pulled for Rob Johnson in the playoffs and dividing the locker room. Then in Dallas, remember he inherited Bill Parcells team. Parcells built a solid foundation. And then it all ended with a thud.

So as great as this guy has been as a DC, he has a truly spotty record as a HC. And everywhere he has been, he has been the DC first, then replaces the HC of that team.

So GMs now that. And now with health concerns, and that spotty record, I think teams might overlook him because he is proving to be a Dick LaBeau - DC Masterming. The NFL missed out hiring him as a DC. We lucked out.

Maddict5
12-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Thoughts and prayers are with Wade Phillips and his family.

I'll just say this; if there were no other way to keep Wade in Houston than promoting him to HC and saying happy trails to Kubiak, I would probably take it.

:smiliepalm:

GP
12-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Rumor is that Brian Cushing showed up with a rusty machete and wearing some yellow dishwashing gloves...said he could do the surgery himself and have Wade back on the field by Sunday.

Wade chose the conventional route instead.

Probably a good idea, actually.

badboy
12-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Why didn't Phillips just come out & tell what he was doing and why? Would have cut down the rampant rumors and hand wringing.

Playoffs
12-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Houston Texans coordinator Wade Phillips leaving to have kidney surgery (h http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-12-14/houston-texans-coordinator-wade-phillips-leaving-to-have-surgery#ixzz1gYLxJyghttp://)So what would his diagnosis be, Dr. CND, if he's having his gall bladder removed & kidney surgery???

CloakNNNdagger
12-14-2011, 09:01 PM
So what would his diagnosis be, Dr. CND, if he's having his gall bladder removed & kidney surgery???

There are too many possibilities to accurately speculate, especially on the kidney side. Very likely, though, the gall bladder and kidney surgeries are unrelated. In most cases, risk factors of developing gallstones are not the same as those leading to the development of kidney stones. A bad gallbladder would readily go along with his rotund-producing "healthful" diet.

He admittedly ruled out cancer in his statement. It could be laparoscopic surgery for a large kidney stone or to relieve hypertension. Either could ultimate lead to laparoscopic removal of his kidney. But one thing I took notice of was one of his early curious statements, that it did not require chemotherapy. This could mean that he is thought to have something like a benign kidney tumor called an oncocytoma. This tumor cannot emphatically be distinguished from a clear cell kidney cancer preoperatively (not even by biopsy) until the kidney is removed. Furthermore, this tumor is believed to have the ability to metastasize (spread) just like a cancer in rare cases........for which one treatment is chemotherapy. Challenging to speculate. But like I said, there so many possibilities, it will remain speculation unless Wade chooses otherwise. At this point in time, I will try to accept Wade's statements that indicate that cancer is not even a consideration. Barring any serious underlying diseases, most all other things (other than cancer) leading to kidney surgery will most likely allow him an uneventful recovery and an opportunity to return to a normal long-term career.................hopefully here in Houston.

Playoffs
12-14-2011, 09:21 PM
^Thanks, MSR.

Lurvinator11
12-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Even if teams wated to talk to wade.....we have him for three years right? We can shut the door on them yeah? Don't get me wrong I believe in wades staff and think they can do just as great as a job.....but I mean c'mon....we got him for 3 now lets keep him for three! And then excercise the option so he can call some nice blitzes against his former team in dallas :]

97roc
12-14-2011, 09:42 PM
There are too many possibilities to accurately speculate, especially on the kidney side. Very likely, though, the gall bladder and kidney surgeries are unrelated. In most cases, risk factors of developing gallstones are not the same as those leading to the development of kidney stones. A bad gallbladder would readily go along with his rotund-producing "healthful" diet.

He admittedly ruled out cancer in his statement. It could be laparoscopic surgery for a large kidney stone or to relieve hypertension. Either could ultimate lead to laparoscopic removal of his kidney. But one thing I took notice of was one of his early curious statements, that it did not require chemotherapy. This could mean that he is thought to have something like a benign kidney tumor called an oncocytoma. This tumor cannot emphatically be distinguished from a clear cell kidney cancer preoperatively (not even by biopsy) until the kidney is removed. Furthermore, this tumor is believed to have the ability to metastasize (spread) just like a cancer in rare cases........for which one treatment is chemotherapy. Challenging to speculate. But like I said, there so many possibilities, it will remain speculation unless Wade chooses otherwise. At this point in time, I will try to accept Wade's statements that indicate that cancer is not even a consideration. Barring any serious underlying diseases, most all other things (other than cancer) leading to kidney surgery will most likely allow him an uneventful recovery and an opportunity to return to a normal long-term career.................hopefully here in Houston.

So when he got sick a few weeks ago is when they discovered both ailments, I am assuming. And apparently the docs felt both issues could wait a couple weeks.

The Pencil Neck
12-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Even if teams wated to talk to wade.....we have him for three years right? We can shut the door on them yeah? Don't get me wrong I believe in wades staff and think they can do just as great as a job.....but I mean c'mon....we got him for 3 now lets keep him for three! And then excercise the option so he can call some nice blitzes against his former team in dallas :]

If someone comes and offers him a coordinator's position, yeah, we can shut them out. But if someone offers him a step up to head coach, we can't block that.

False Start
12-14-2011, 09:55 PM
I'm just having a hard time accepting the timing of this whole, "Wade would like to be a head coach thing." I mean damn, couldn't he at least have waited till we won the Superbowl ( ;) ) to come out and say this? I would have thought he would have more sense than that. :hankpalm:

ObsiWan
12-14-2011, 10:09 PM

Damn... MSR

CloakNNNdagger
12-14-2011, 10:18 PM
So when he got sick a few weeks ago is when they discovered both ailments, I am assuming. And apparently the docs felt both issues could wait a couple weeks.

Not necessarily. He could have been dealing with these problems for a long time, but the symptoms or extent of one condition may have gotten to a point where it was either unbearable or dangerous to his long-term health.

ObsiWan
12-14-2011, 10:23 PM

Thanks Doc. Always educational.

^Thanks, MSR.
I got him for us

ObsiWan
12-14-2011, 10:26 PM
If someone comes and offers him a coordinator's position, yeah, we can shut them out. But if someone offers him a step up to head coach, we can't block that.

I found this Wade quote particularly interesting

"I don't want to be somewhere else, but I'd like to be able to be a head coach again."

I'd like to be a head coach again + I don't want to be elsewhere = Watch your back Gary
:evil:

Seriously though:
Get well soon, Wade!!

Playoffs
12-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Lead story on 11/CBS.

DX-TEX
12-14-2011, 11:10 PM
I am positive that if somehow we get to a Superbowl someone in this organization will physically drop dead on the sideline.

Texan_Bill
12-14-2011, 11:10 PM
If needed...

:spit: LMFAO Brother!!! Whatever it takes, no?

gary
12-14-2011, 11:26 PM
Reggie should get the DC job if Wade leaves.

97roc
12-15-2011, 07:43 AM

Or he follows Wade to be his DC.

thunderkyss
12-15-2011, 07:45 AM
I'm just having a hard time accepting the timing of this whole, "Wade would like to be a head coach thing." I mean damn, couldn't he at least have waited till we won the Superbowl ( ;) ) to come out and say this? I would have thought he would have more sense than that. :hankpalm:

That's my biggest disappointment.

If I were a GM or owner looking for my next HC, I'm weighing this incident right here & I'm going to go back & try to determine how Wade handles adversity & distractions. Here, Wade is creating a distraction that the HC has to work against.

This is one strike.

The Cowboy job where he passively let that happen, is strike two.

One question I would always ask a former HC, is what went wrong. If I'm not satisfied with his answer, I'm moving on. When McNair hired Capers, I was impressed with the answer he gave (I don't remember it now, but I remember it was reported).... just didn't work out. The way I've heard Wade answer the question recently, "It's just perception." wouldn't fly.

That would be strike three.

thunderkyss
12-15-2011, 07:47 AM

What about Del Rio?

I hear he's looking for a job.

hobie
12-15-2011, 08:19 AM
:spit: LMFAO Brother!!! Whatever it takes, no?

Next man up is what they say... and hell, if that means literally, then so be it.. I'm all in !!

GP
12-15-2011, 12:29 PM
I noticed he had a very large bandage on his left forearm about halfway up the arm, in the Jacksonville game. I'm talking somewhere in the range of like 4 inches by 3 inches in dimension.

I also noticed on that same arm, during the Atlanta game...he had several red marks on the forearm near where that bandage was in the Jax game. It looked like I.V. sticks to me. About 3 or 4 bright red spots all in the same area.

When a patient has dialysis, don't they normally do this in the subclavian vein and not in the arm? I'm not saying it was dialysis, just asking if anybody knows about dialysis being conducted elsewhere other than the subclavian.

Just wondering if the thing with his arm is connected, even a bit remotely, to what else is going on with him. Or, maybe he just had a boo-boo and there's no further story to it.

Sorry, slow news week. Just talking about my observations of him from the Jax game, to the Falcons game, and then to this week with the reports of him being out for awhile.

Double Barrel
12-15-2011, 12:31 PM
I noticed that huge bruise on his arm in the Bengals game, as well. I was wondering what happened. Perhaps it's connected to this treatment?

Texans Nation should think good thoughts and send prayers his way. No matter what happens here on out, he's certainly been nothing but positive for this franchise.

GP
12-15-2011, 12:37 PM
I noticed that huge bruise on his arm in the Bengals game, as well. I was wondering what happened. Perhaps it's connected to this treatment?

Texans Nation should think good thoughts and send prayers his way. No matter what happens here on out, he's certainly been nothing but positive for this franchise.

Bruise was on the right arm, DB.

The left arm had the larger damage. If he's right handed, makes sense to do a lot of work on the left arm maybe?

I dunno. I'm not a doctor, I just play one on the Internet. LOL.

The Jax game and the Falcons game are the only two recent games to study/observe this because Wade was wearing a short-sleeve shirt in both games. Was wearing the big jacket in the Bengals game.

I went back to the Falcons game because I thought I saw the bandage on his left arm in THAT game, but there was no bandage...just a lot of large red spots concentrated in one area on his forearm. So I went back to the Jax game, and the bandage is on that same area in the Jax game. Hmmm.....

HOU-TEX
12-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Matt Musil@KHOUSportsMatt

Texans Def Coordinator Wade Phillips is doing well after having surgery on kidney and having gall bladder removed today.

Per Twitter

GP
12-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Per Twitter

Good to hear.

I thought they might be removing Bob McNair's foot from Wade's ass after the "I don't want be somewhere else, but I do want to be a head coach again" comments.

Fox
12-15-2011, 04:57 PM
When a patient has dialysis, don't they normally do this in the subclavian vein and not in the arm? I'm not saying it was dialysis, just asking if anybody knows about dialysis being conducted elsewhere other than the subclavian.

Dialysis patients usually use large bore catheters or 'perm caths' in their internal jugular or femoral veins. They don't place those catheters in the subclavian because it can cause stenosis of the vein (which can be a detriment to the future creation of fistulas or grafts, see below), and because when they remove the catheter the collarbone makes it difficult to hold pressure over that vein.

Long term dialysis patients get fistulas (surgical connections of arteries to veins, usually in the arm) and grafts (synthetic connections of arteries to veins, either in the arm or leg).

Maybe the bruising is just from IV sticks / blood draws.

CloakNNNdagger
12-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Dialysis patients usually use large bore catheters or 'perm caths' in their internal jugular or femoral veins. They don't place those catheters in the subclavian because it can cause stenosis of the vein (which can be a detriment to the future creation of fistulas or grafts, see below), and because when they remove the catheter the collarbone makes it difficult to hold pressure over that vein.

Long term dialysis patients get fistulas (surgical connections of arteries to veins, usually in the arm) and grafts (synthetic connections of arteries to veins, either in the arm or leg).

Your post is pretty well factually correct.

I noted a large bruise of his right forearm below the level of the elbow on the volar (under) surface of his arm. There was no apparent incision there consistent with fistula or arterio-venous graft placement. I never saw a large bandage as described elsewhere in this thread. A bruise like that could be explained by a simple blood stick or IV access, especially if the person has recently taken in any blood-thinning substances like anti-inflammatories (aspirin, Motrin, Advil, etc) or alcohol (a common celebratory medication).
Of course, we really don't know exactly why the bruise was there. But you can take for granted that if you are told that he was "ill" prior to the decision to proceed with 2 surgeries, that in the diagnostic testing/workup and/or treatment and preoperative "preparation"..........he had plenty of opportunity to end up resembling a well-used pin cushion.

CloakNNNdagger
12-15-2011, 06:46 PM
I noticed he had a very large bandage on his left forearm about halfway up the arm, in the Jacksonville game. I'm talking somewhere in the range of like 4 inches by 3 inches in dimension.

I also noticed on that same arm, during the Atlanta game...he had several red marks on the forearm near where that bandage was in the Jax game. It looked like I.V. sticks to me. About 3 or 4 bright red spots all in the same area.

Just wondering if the thing with his arm is connected, even a bit remotely, to what else is going on with him. Or, maybe he just had a boo-boo and there's no further story to it.

Sorry, slow news week. Just talking about my observations of him from the Jax game, to the Falcons game, and then to this week with the reports of him being out for awhile.

If the left arm bandage was to cover the surgical site of an AV fistula , you can't start using an AV fistula access for dialysis before 6-12 weeks which is required for "maturation" of the fistula.......and it doesn't follow the given timeline of when the "stick" marks were noted. On the other hand, an AV graft can be accessed between 3 and 4 weeks following the surgery. If he had that surgery during the beginning of the BYE, then bandages until the Atlanta game when the "stick" marks were noted, then the timeline could be fulfilled.

BUT, remember, people can live and have totally "normal" function even with only one kidney. If his kidney function was that bad to have these type of procedures, it you would have to surmise that both of the kidneys must be in trouble........and that permanent dialysis is what is planned. Not good news for Wade if so. Possible? Yes. High on my list? No. And not likely that it would stay a secret for too long.

GP
12-15-2011, 08:19 PM

That's what I was leaning toward.

It could be something totally unrelated to the major issue he's taking leave of absence for. Thanks for the great input on the situation, btw.

Thanks to CND, too, for pointing out the ins and outs of this stuff.

Texan_Bill
12-15-2011, 08:43 PM
If the left arm bandage was to cover the surgical site of an AV fistula , you can't start using an AV fistula access for dialysis before 6-12 weeks which is required for "maturation" of the fistula.......and it doesn't follow the given timeline of when the "stick" marks were noted. On the other hand, an AV graft can be accessed between 3 and 4 weeks following the surgery. If he had that surgery during the beginning of the BYE, then bandages until the Atlanta game when the "stick" marks were noted, then the timeline could be fulfilled.

BUT, remember, people can live and have totally "normal" function even with only one kidney. If his kidney function was that bad to have these type of procedures, it you would have to surmise that both of the kidneys must be in trouble........and that permanent dialysis is what is planned. Not good news for Wade if so. Possible? Yes. High on my list? No. And not likely that it would stay a secret for too long.

But Doc Jean, you have to remember us medical marvels that have 3 kidneys AND 2 livers!!! It's an Irish thang... You wouldn't understand. ;)

jaayteetx
12-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Looks like Wade is stable after surgery...
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-texans-phillips