PDA

View Full Version : More disrespect from national media.

dream_team
12-13-2011, 11:48 AM
This time, from Colin Cowherd of ESPN. He just released his latest NFL Power Rankings.

1. Packers
2. Steelers
3. Saints
4. Ravens
5. Patriots
6. Giants
7. Cowboys
8. Jets
9. 49ers
10. Falcons

This has got to be the most idiotic top 10 power rankings I have ever seen. Texans have beat two of those teams (Steelers and Falcons). There are two 7-6 teams (Cowboys & Giants). It's also amazing how the three worst defenses in the league are in that top 10 (Packers, Giants, and Patriots... Saints are also not too far behind). The #2 & #3 defense are in there (Steelers & Ravens), but he somehow left out #1!?

I just don't understand how these guys are paid to talk about sports on the radio.

Thorn
12-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Since we've proven (via Atlanta and Cincinanti) that we can win with TJ Yates, that list is bogus. Most especially Jets and Atlanta being rated above us. That's just idiotic and laughable.

DX-TEX
12-13-2011, 11:52 AM
And he picked the Texans as his break out team in the preseason....

:mariopalm:

Thorn
12-13-2011, 11:57 AM
ESPN's main poll has us at 7.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

El Tejano
12-13-2011, 11:58 AM
I guess in everyone's eyes we only win this division because Payton Manning is not playing. One question I have for them is, why didn't they ever say he was winning the division back in the days because he had us in the division?

Playoffs
12-13-2011, 12:01 PM
1. Packers
2. Saints
3. Ravens
4. Texans
5. Steelers
5. Patriots
6. Giants
7. 49ers
8. Falcons
9. Lions
10. Broncos

If that pencil-necked geek can post his craplist, this pencil-necked geek can post the truth!

TexanSam
12-13-2011, 12:02 PM
It is Colin Cowherd. He's right there with Skip Bayless. Cowherd is a complete ass.

V Man
12-13-2011, 12:17 PM
With Colin Cowherd and his huge man crush on Brady, surprised that the Pats aren't 1 and 1a on the list.

Showtime100
12-13-2011, 12:21 PM
I had to Google Colin. No wonder I didn't know his name. I haven't watched that show since it came out.

BIG TORO
12-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Wow! Just Wow! What an *****!

hobie
12-13-2011, 12:33 PM
So what.. power rankings are stupid anyway... who cares where who is "ranked".. that's why the NFL has playoffs....

conundrum
12-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Cowherd is a jackass, he loves Tom Brady like homo style and he is a cowboys homer. Who cares, actually players and coaches that are any good know whats up. Sapp, Sharpe, and Cowher all give us of love.

Premier
12-13-2011, 12:53 PM
I guess in everyone's eyes we only win this division because Payton Manning is not playing. One question I have for them is, why didn't they ever say he was winning the division back in the days because he had us in the division?

doesnt matter what happens this season, if peyton was playing, the colts would be atleast 1 game better..

if the texans went 10-6, the colts would have went 11-5..
if the texans went 16-0 in the regular season, the colts would have went 17-0 in the regular season..
if the texans won the Superbowl, the colts would have won the SuperSuperBowl..

never mind that the texans have played the colts only 1 time this year, never mind that the colts were 7-6 at this point last season, never mind that the texans have played 7 games without andre johnson & 9 without mario williams, never mind the texans clinched the division with their 3rd quarterback, who 8happens to be a rookie... just remember to THANK PEYTON for missing the season so the poor texans could finally win the AFC South..

THANK YOU PEYTON....

http://cdn.jockpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/manning-neckbrace-255x300.jpg

Showtime100
12-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Hmmmm. Nope, not feeling that post. I think Houston would have stood up to Indy just fine, thank you.

Double Lung
12-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Cowturd is a d bag and has said numerous times that the reason he talks about and "supports" big market teams is to simply boost ratings.

I guarantee you not many teams, if any, want to play Houston right now...

HOU-TEX
12-13-2011, 01:20 PM
ESPN = Can't expect anything logical

Errant Hothy
12-13-2011, 01:22 PM
Cowherd is generating traffic for the ESPN website and himself, which is what he is paid to do.

Kthx
12-13-2011, 01:23 PM
This time, from Colin Cowherd of ESPN. He just released his latest NFL Power Rankings.

1. Tim Tebow
2. Tim Tebow
3. Brett Favre coming out of retirement
4. Packets
5. Steelers
6. Saints
7. Ravens
8. Patriots
9. Tony Romo
10. Cowboys

This has got to be the most idiotic top 10 power rankings I have ever seen. Texans have beat two of those teams (Steelers and Falcons). There are two 7-6 teams (Cowboys & Giants). It's also amazing how the three worst defenses in the league are in that top 10 (Packers, Giants, and Patriots... Saints are also not too far behind). The #2 & #3 defense are in there (Steelers & Ravens), but he somehow left out #1!?

I just don't understand how these guys are paid to talk about sports on the radio.

I think you copy/pasted this wrong, I fixed it for you.

ThaShark316
12-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Stop watching/listening to ESPN.

Corrosion
12-13-2011, 01:33 PM
CBS Sports , Pete Prisco (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/16436037/power-rankings-passing-offenses-are-getting-better-and-so-are-the-games) has the Texans ranked #3 behind GB and Baltimore.

T.J. Yates is showing that you can't count these guys out. He showed some big-time skills on that final drive to the winning touchdown.

b0ng
12-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Do you really want the national media forming a narrative on our hometown team? Do you really think that narrative would be anything worth reading? Just because they do puff pieces on the Cowboys/Pats/Steelers/Tebow does not mean we would get the same treatment.

Let them get disrespect, let them fly under the radar. There are plenty of places where I can find actual analysis that is done by real people and not ESPN or NFLN.

Showtime100
12-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Stop watching/listening to ESPN.

I wish there was an alternative. NFLN is one but it isn't much better. ESPN knows they have no competition so they do what they please.

EDIT: I love that they are flying under radar but I want my cake so I can eat it too. Really, I just want my highlights but if I got those the Texans then have a radar signature.

Thorn
12-13-2011, 01:43 PM
I prefer NFLN to ESPN for no reason other than I can just leave it on that channel while I do other stuff and they'll eventually get around to talking about the Texans. I think most announcers are saying positive, but sometimes hesitantly so, good things about the Texans. If Schaub was still the QB, a lot of them would be more inclined to pump us up. They're still waiting on TJ to either screw up or keep showing he can do the job. I'm not sure I blame them for that.

Speedy
12-13-2011, 01:48 PM
Why do people get so worked up over this stuff? Who cares about some blow hards rankings? The only rankings I care about is the draft order. The closer the Texans are to #32 in that ranking the better. F everybody else.

Of course if you've just got to have it to make you feel better or whatever, check out Aikman's rankings. He's had the Texans #1 for at least a couple of weeks now.

Texecutioner
12-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Why do people get so worked up over this stuff? Who cares about some blow hards rankings? The only rankings I care about is the draft order. The closer the Texans are to #32 in that ranking the better. F everybody else.

Of course if you've just got to have it to make you feel better or whatever, check out Aikman's rankings. He's had the Texans #1 for at least a couple of weeks now.

Yeah, I don't get the constant pissing and moaning over this stuff either. WHo gives a damn about what some guy put out there as a ranking. Some fans get so worked up over this as if they are on the team and actually playing.

The only thing I care about is getting coverage on the main media networks to hear about my team. I hate that I never hear anything about the Texans at all. It's one thing when they sucked, but they've been one of the best stories in the league this year, and it sucks that they're not getting any National attention for it.

Showtime100
12-13-2011, 02:09 PM
It's like Eddie Murphy sings it, R-e-s-p-e-c-t (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK6J_zw29RY) :D

I just want my highlights, screw the rankings, but yeah, I can see the highlights all I want with this contraption here.

Stemp
12-13-2011, 03:17 PM
I wish there was an alternative. NFLN is one but it isn't much better. ESPN knows they have no competition so they do what they please.

It's coming...
http://adage.com/article/mediaworks/nbc-sports-network-plans-a-long-game-espn/231447/

Showtime100
12-13-2011, 03:25 PM
It's coming...
http://adage.com/article/mediaworks/nbc-sports-network-plans-a-long-game-espn/231447/

Awesome. I've been waiting for this for 20+ years. :barman:

WesHighTower
12-13-2011, 03:29 PM
The joke is on them. Any reporter/journalist who fails to acknowledge the success of our team, only proves they don't know half as much about NFL football as they would like us to believe.

rush2112mn
12-13-2011, 08:04 PM
It is Colin Cowherd. He's right there with Skip Bayless. Cowherd is a complete ass.

Skip Bayless is a tebow man lover right now......they should rename First Take ....to First Love for Tebow.......

Kaiser Toro
12-13-2011, 08:12 PM
I would enjoy having more disrespect than unearned respect. It has been a life long observation that most of the folks who discuss respect, are often not worthy of or able to provide respect themselves.

The symbiotic respect between the team and its fan base is more important than a Generalist in a studio, who is taking the cue from a producer watching trending information.

Respect what you're seeing on Sunday, this does not happen to often around here. :texflag:

ThaShark316
12-13-2011, 08:14 PM

EDIT: I love that they are flying under radar but I want my cake so I can eat it too. Really, I just want my highlights but if I got those the Texans then have a radar signature.

Um, WHAT?

ChampionTexan
12-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Cowherd is generating traffic for the ESPN website and himself, which is what he is paid to do.

And he picked the Texans as his break out team in the preseason....

:mariopalm:

This is called playing both sides against the middle. No matter how things work out, he'll be pointing out how he was right, and how much smarter he was than everyone else in the process.

Bull Butter
12-14-2011, 11:09 PM
True Cowturd story.........I was listening to his show one day (summer 2010) and he was on one of his usual rants about how small-market teams are irrelevant and his comment was something like....."Seattle and San Francisco, you're not interesting, that's why we don't talk about you". Not 10 seconds later, he went to a station break with "Tomorrow in the Herd, 49ers coach Mike Singletary...."

Showtime100
12-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Um, WHAT?

Matter of opinion. Like you, I have one too.

Ktexan68
12-15-2011, 08:33 AM
I like the dissin' from the national media- I think it helps keep our guys motivated and really who gives a flip what they think?

SheTexan
12-15-2011, 08:40 AM
Who cares?? Most of the media sucks anyway. Even if they give us props, there's usually a BUT in there somewhere.

I just hope our coaches post this crap for our boys to see.

thunderkyss
12-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Since we've proven (via Atlanta and Cincinanti) that we can win with TJ Yates, that list is bogus. Most especially Jets and Atlanta being rated above us. That's just idiotic and laughable.

Our offense has also improved to the #2 rushing offense in the league over that time against top 10 defenses.

To me, power rankings are just some guys idea of who is playing the best football at the time. I generally don't agree with any of them 100%. I do think we are slighted a bit when the 49ers, who have lost 2 of their last three make the list when we are on a 7 game win streak.

I feel slighted that both Atlanta & Cincy are on the list when we just beat them back-to-back.

I understand the apprehension about the QB issue & I understand if they believe there is no way we can sustain what we've done over the last 7 games..... it defies all logic.

So seeing that we are not in his top 10 just reaffirms, to me, that something special is going on in Houston.

:cow:

thunderkyss
12-15-2011, 09:13 AM

I think that is what they've been saying.

If you think about it, San Diego & the Colts have probably had so much trouble in the post season because they've been padding their stats & drinking the kool-aide in weak divisions.

Playoffs
12-15-2011, 11:03 AM
Skip Bayless is a tebow man lover right now......they should rename First Take ....to First Love for Tebow.......Bayless loves all young men ... only young men ... VY, too. :hobie:

ObsiWan
12-15-2011, 11:40 AM

BINGO!!

We have a WINNER!

He and Bayless only stay on the air by inciting controversy. They bring nothing else to the table. They never played anywhere. They never coached anywhere. Other than being the annoying guy that has to say the opposite of what everyone else seems to think is obvious (and use left-field arguments to defend their positions), they bring nothing else to the table.

I understand this so I take their opinions with a grain of salt.

Double Barrel
12-15-2011, 11:51 AM
I prefer NFLN to ESPN for no reason other than I can just leave it on that channel while I do other stuff and they'll eventually get around to talking about the Texans. I think most announcers are saying positive, but sometimes hesitantly so, good things about the Texans. If Schaub was still the QB, a lot of them would be more inclined to pump us up. They're still waiting on TJ to either screw up or keep showing he can do the job. I'm not sure I blame them for that.

NFLN is the only channel that I bother to watch, simply because the NFL is the only sport that I pay any attention.

I could care less about any other sport, with the exception of UFC in the off-season, so ESPN is not interesting to me in any sort of way. I sometimes watch NFL Live, but Dilfer and Hoge are such a blowhards that it makes it hard to watch on a regular basis.

HTown2ATX
12-15-2011, 01:34 PM
NFLN is the only channel that I bother to watch, simply because the NFL is the only sport that I pay any attention.

I could care less about any other sport, with the exception of UFC in the off-season, so ESPN is not interesting to me in any sort of way. I sometimes watch NFL Live, but Dilfer and Hoge are such a blowhards that it makes it hard to watch on a regular basis.

If I had NFLN that is prbably all I would watch. I watch a lot of sports but Football is clearly king and I would watch whatever they had on in the offseason when I was living with parents after my divorce. I loved NFLN, but as I only get ESPN now I have to make due.

Honestly though, you left out Trey Wingo from NFL Live, that guy is toolmania.....friggin max douche IMO. (not saying Dilfer and Hodge aren't :D )