PDA

View Full Version : Matt Schaub's Contract

welsh texan
12-12-2011, 05:45 PM
OK, so Matt Schaub's contract needs renewing after next season. With the talent we now have and the youth of this team, the Texans will be in a tight spot signing a number of players to contracts over the next year or two.

With that said, does the emergence of TJ Yates as someone with a higher cieling than Schaub lead the Texans into a difficult decision.

Apart from simply, do you let Schaub go or keep him, there is the question of whether to trade him and get some picks in return this coming offseason, or do you prefer to sit Yates next season and let him learn before making him the full time starter.

I know I'm probably getting ahead of myself somewhat, but then again everyone was talking about trading Mario before we'd even seen Brooks Reed play so maybe this discussion is overdue!

Ole Miss Texan
12-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Too early to talk about it because there's just so much unkown at this point.

Schaub's health will be a major factor in the decision. There's a good chance he may not even start at the beginning of the 2012 season. How Schaub returns will be a major factor.

How TJ performs these last 3 regular season games and in the playoffs will be a huge factor in it, in my opinion. As well as the start of the 2012 season or throughou next season should Schaub not be healthy enough.

If all TJ does is win and he takes us to the Super Bowl, shows he's a leader of this offense and team, the entire team rallies behind him... it will be hard to push him aside and throw in Schaub fresh off a terrible foot injury.

I'm just not ready to annoint TJ our Franchise QB of the future so I feel lucky that we have the entire 2012 season to look into this. I also don't know how I feel about Garcia and Delhomme being our long term backup QBs either.

Playoffs
12-12-2011, 06:04 PM
:kubepalm: :mariopalm: :wadepalm::toropalm: :hankpalm: :facepalm:

Insideop
12-12-2011, 06:08 PM
I would resign Schaub. We still need at least 2 experienced QBs. Now, as for Leinart, I think he needs to be released.

srrono
12-12-2011, 06:13 PM
lol way to early to think about this

Rey
12-12-2011, 06:15 PM
I cant even vote on this becase it's way too early, but if I'm answering right now Matt Schaub at the very least returns to the team.

The Pencil Neck
12-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Premature.

texanway
12-12-2011, 06:26 PM
I would resign Schaub. We still need at least 2 experienced QBs. Now, as for Leinart, I think he needs to be released.

What are you saying? Leinhart was 10-13 in attempts or something before he got hurt. I was utterly amazed by his statistics. I would try to keep all of them. Every Texans QB was playing very well when they started so you shouldn't release any of them.

Yesterday
12-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Trade Schaub, 2013 2nd and 3rd Round Picks to Washington for 2012 1st round pick.

Trade Washington 2012 1st round pick, Texans 2012 1st round pick, Texans 2013 1st round pick and 2012 Texans 4th round pick to Indy for 2012 #1 overall pick.

Draft Andrew Luck and win titles.

Goatcheese
12-12-2011, 06:48 PM
So you want to replace Schaub (8.5 YPA 96.8 passer rating) because Yates has managed 6.6 YPA and 82.3 passer rating?

He's doing what he needs to in order to help the Texans win, but he's no Matt Schaub. A last second TD drive is nice, but they would have been running clock with Foster and Tate by the end of the 3rd quarter if we still had crazy eyes under center.

Maybe Yates does something magical the rest of the way, but so far, he's a quality backup who could start for some teams with disasters at QB.

Rey
12-12-2011, 06:53 PM
So you want to replace Schaub (8.5 YPA 96.8 passer rating) because Yates has managed 6.6 YPA and 82.3 passer rating?

He's doing what he needs to in order to help the Texans win, but he's no Matt Schaub. A last second TD drive is nice, but they would have been running clock with Foster and Tate by the end of the 3rd quarter if we still had crazy eyes under center.

Maybe Yates does something magical the rest of the way, but so far, he's a quality backup who could start for some teams with disasters at QB.

I'm unsure either way...

I don't think you can look at Schaub's numbers a lone and make the decision. This has to be a football decision...

Besides....If you'd have to assume that Yate's doesn't get any better to strictly look at numbers. That could completely be the case, but I think we should let the season play out and just enjoy what we are seeing...

dream_team
12-12-2011, 06:54 PM
I had a feeling this topic would eventually pop up on this board, but this is a bit early.

Dutchrudder
12-12-2011, 06:57 PM
I think we need to sit on Schaub's contract until the end of next season. He's going to be 32 by the end of the 2012 season, and probably won't fetch too much on the free agent market given his injury history. I don't think he will be very expensive to re-sign at that point compared to other QBs around the league. We should work to retain him, but after his foot injury it will all depend on how he plays next season if he does play at all.

80tothezone
12-12-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm unsure either way...

I don't think you can look at Schaub's numbers a lone and make the decision. This has to be a football decision...

Besides....If you'd have to assume that Yate's doesn't get any better to strictly look at numbers. That could completely be the case, but I think we should let the season play out and just enjoy what we are seeing...

honestly I short of winning a Superbowl you got to bring schaub back. However it does mean you got someone you can developed behind schaub for a couple yrs.

EllisUnit
12-12-2011, 07:41 PM
If yates takes us to a superbowl and wins, then how can you not go with him, but we are not at that point yet.

DocBar
12-12-2011, 07:49 PM
I refuse to vote right now. If Yates gets us to the Super Bowl, let's talk about this(ditch Schaub). If he doesn't, try to resign Schaub at a reasonable price. I wouldn't even dream of tradin away draft picks. I would definitely consider gaining them.

Thorn
12-12-2011, 07:52 PM
As was stated elsewhere by someone else, at least we know we can now ditch Hot Tub Boy. But for now, that's all we know. We need to see how much Yates improves over the next three games.

EllisUnit
12-12-2011, 08:00 PM
As was stated elsewhere by someone else, at least we know we can now ditch Hot Tub Boy. But for now, that's all we know. We need to see how much Yates improves over the next three games.

agree, yates has shown poise and potential. but our points per game has gone WAY down since schaub went out, we were still scoring a lot when AJ was out, lets see what he does against the helpless colts, i dont want to have to go through what i went through last sunday, every sunday.

Lucky
12-12-2011, 08:03 PM
Premature.
Really. We know Schaub won't be traded. He's rehabbing from injury. We know Yates won't be traded. We also know Schaub will be in the last year of his contract. This will play out in 2012. For all we know, Both Schaub & Yates get injured, and another 3rd string QB emerges.

HJam72
12-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Premature DeMattation.

hot pickle
12-12-2011, 08:43 PM
even if we make it deep into the playoffs with yates. getting rid of schaub will cause us to go backwards.

GlassHalfFull
12-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Premature DeMattation.

LOL. this

thunderkyss
12-12-2011, 08:49 PM
If I'm Rick Smith, I've got to start asking myself this question. However, I have to balance winning now, with winning in the future. Right now, I'm hoping TJ Yates increases his value over the next 6 weeks or so.

I would be just as apt to trade him for two 2s as I would be to trade Matt Schaub. If Kubiak says he can win a Super Bowl with Matt.

At the same time, if he says he can win the Super Bowl with TJ Yates, I'd be willing to trade Schaub for a 1st & 2nd.

If TJ continues to impress, I doubt the two would co-exist very long on the same team so I would definitely be thinking about moving one of the two. But I wouldn't bring it up to Gary or anyone on the team or coaching staff... not even ownership.

They've all got more important things to worry about.

leebigeztx
12-12-2011, 08:53 PM
I think its good to think about this. I don't think schaub will be ready until this time next year. I would tell schaub we will reduce his salary to 1m and he can make up the rest by active roster bonus or snaps. Say what you will and the stat whores can pull up all thenumbers they want, but schaub is a kubiak creation. Yates may not have the numbers right now, but we know he doesn't need a perfect pocket and he doesn't ball up like a baby in the pocket. He has a much better arm and can throw on the run a lot better. The run game and defense can be leaned on until he's matures. Yates has a bigger ball of clay.

Hervoyel
12-12-2011, 09:06 PM
It's too soon to make any kind of informed decision on this. At this point Yates has made a case for replacing Leinart as the 2.

He's getting better by the week and if he keeps improving then he might be pushing Schaub in camp next year or even begin the year as the starter if Schaub isn't ready to go. If he keeps getting better and carries this team to a Super Bowl then sure, he's the starter because that's how the NFL works.

I think there's enough time left in this season + playoffs for Yates to take that job. I can't say he's done it yet.

Texan_Bill
12-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Really??? FAIL on so many levels!

:facepalm: OP!!

DocBar
12-12-2011, 09:14 PM
I think its good to think about this. I don't think schaub will be ready until this time next year. I would tell schaub we will reduce his salary to 1m and he can make up the rest by active roster bonus or snaps. Say what you will and the stat whores can pull up all thenumbers they want, but schaub is a kubiak creation. Yates may not have the numbers right now, but we know he doesn't need a perfect pocket and he doesn't ball up like a baby in the pocket. He has a much better arm and can throw on the run a lot better. The run game and defense can be leaned on until he's matures. Yates has a bigger ball of clay.

It's too soon to make any kind of informed decision on this. At this point Yates has made a case for replacing Leinart as the 2.

He's getting better by the week and if he keeps improving then he might be pushing Schaub in camp next year or even begin the year as the starter if Schaub isn't ready to go. If he keeps getting better and carries this team to a Super Bowl then sure, he's the starter because that's how the NFL works.

I think there's enough time left in this season + playoffs for Yates to take that job. I can't say he's done it yet.If we win one playoff game, regardless of seeding, Yates will have earned a QB controversy and it will be very difficult to deal Schaub before he's a UFA. Besides, Schaub isn't gonna play second fiddle in this league. With some prominent signing coming up this season, it might well be a decision between Schaub and MW. I lean towards keeping the guy I demonized all season. Right now.

thunderkyss
12-12-2011, 09:26 PM
If we win one playoff game, regardless of seeding, Yates will have earned a QB controversy...

It all depends on how we win. If we're the #3 seed & play the Jets or Pats & they are unable to stop the run, Foster & Tate run for 100 yards each, two touchdowns a piece & our defense does it's thing... Yates hadn't earned anything.

But if things go the way they did yesterday... yeah, controversy started.

TexansLucky13
12-12-2011, 09:53 PM
It will be a very interesting situation next year after Yates wins the Super Bowl

:koolaid:

DexmanC
12-13-2011, 12:02 AM
Premature DeMattation.

I concur. Premature DeMattulation

Lucky
12-13-2011, 12:08 AM
If I'm Rick Smith, I've got to start asking myself this question.
Um, no you don't. Schaub's under contract for 2012. He's not going to get extended while he's injured, and no one knows when he will be back on the field. There's no logical reason to force the issue.

drs23
12-13-2011, 12:28 AM
lol way to early to think about this

You're kidding yourself if you don't think Rick Smith hasn't been thinking about this for at least 3 1/2 games. It's his job and I think he's doing OK lately. Just like the head coach we've watched him learn on the job. I'm beginning to believe it takes about six years to mature at this level when you've never been there before. Granted, in this instant gratification society we're in now, NFL management just don't get that kind of time to prove themselves. Ask Tony Sparono and Todd Haley.

Perhaps McNair had a clue to what he was doing.

Premature.

Sure it is but someone is gonna bring it up because it's a valid point. Doc Jean talks about whether/when he comes back quite a bit in several different threads. Bottom line is if Matt can't come back and be the one (which I think will happen) then what trade value would he have?

Playoffs
12-13-2011, 12:33 AM
Premature Mattjaculation.

Goldensilence
12-13-2011, 12:39 AM
Whether is fair or not at some point Matt's history of injury is a cause for concern and will play into whether he gets extended or not.

Very Premature on Yates too, but the kid looks like a gamer. Just not sure if he is franchise type material.

Either way, I'd much rather concern myself with keeping Foster and Tate around. Makes it easier to take a chance on a young guy when you've got a killer running game grinding away at opponents.

A year away, and Texans fans are still fickle. Some things do indeed never change.

Premier
12-13-2011, 12:56 AM
hand the franchise over to yates... trade schaub and get what you can for him. quite a few QB hungry teams, only problem i see is there are some quality QBs coming out the draft this year.. to think, yates has only been playing organized football for 5 years. NC fans say he improved every year.. he already shows more poise, confidence, arm strength, mobility, & heart than schaub has ever shown, yates is more talented than schaub bottomline and has the QB traits you cant teach.. some of the guys around these texans board seem to be holding onto something with matt schaub, i keep being reminded about his 9k yards and all-star game MVP like it means something.. plain & simple schaub has 1 year left on his contract, if hes not gonna be apart of the texans future, trade him while he has value (he will be exposed when he no longer plays in the texans system)...

Winners win, losers make excuses....

2BCF
12-13-2011, 01:09 AM
Premature Mattjaculation.

Premature OurMattsGotJackedUp :D

edo783
12-13-2011, 01:24 AM
hand the franchise over to yates... trade schaub and get what you can for him. quite a few QB hungry teams, only problem i see is there are some quality QBs coming out the draft this year.. to think, yates has only been playing organized football for 5 years. NC fans say he improved every year.. he already shows more poise, confidence, arm strength, mobility, & heart than schaub has ever shown, yates is more talented than schaub bottomline and has the QB traits you cant teach.. some of the guys around these texans board seem to be holding onto something with matt schaub, i keep being reminded about his 9k yards and all-star game MVP like it means something.. plain & simple schaub has 1 year left on his contract, if hes not gonna be apart of the texans future, trade him while he has value (he will be exposed when he no longer plays in the texans system)...

Good grief, to say you are suffering from premature every thing would not be a stretch. Now that being said, matt for another year with Tj in second place would be a reasonable situation. we have to see how the rest of the season plays out. I LIKe what I am seeing from TJ., but we need to move a bit more cautiously than what some would propose.

Allstar
12-13-2011, 03:08 AM
Wow, If the season were to end today, there is no doubt that Schaub is still the starter. TJ still has A LOT to prove to challenge Matt.

ObsiWan
12-13-2011, 03:32 AM

Depends on which Matt we're DeMattulating...

Schaub, yeah, this discussion is interesting but a bit premature. If you're talking Leinart, we should get him healthy and showcase him next preseason so we can trade him. Keep Delhomme as the 3rd stringer.

Premier
12-13-2011, 05:04 AM
ive seen enough of schaub to know what to expect from him. the texans arent going to be beating teams like baltimore, pitsburgh, new england, or new york in the playoffs with scores of 41-7.. playoff games with these teams will be close and will require a drive or 2 with a QB that doesn't shrink, concede sacks, and doesnt get that deer in the headlights look when hes under pressure.. schaub gets happy feet and makes dumb decisions because hes scared.. HES A SCARED QUARTERBACK.. why cant you people see this??

i dont need to be sold on schaub, im a texans fan, ive seen every game hes played. i used to defend the guy, not anymore.. im with the crowd that doesnt want him to be the houston texans quarterback anymore..

Grams
12-13-2011, 05:29 AM

I think there's enough time left in this season + playoffs for Yates to take that job. I can't say he's done it yet.

:goodpost:

This

Sideline
12-13-2011, 06:38 AM
I'd go into next season exactly as we came into this season. Except with a switch of Yates and Leinart.

Schaub starts
Yates backup
Leinart third

TexansLucky13
12-13-2011, 07:44 AM
I'd go into next season exactly as we came into this season. Except with a switch of Yates and Leinart.

Schaub starts
Yates backup
Leinart third

Obviously that's how it should be at this moment in time. But what if Yates takes us to the AFC Championship? Super Bowl?? What then?

:stirpot:

Stemp
12-13-2011, 08:27 AM
I think some of you forget that schaub won games when our defense was horrible. TJ has hung on to win when our defense is outstanding. Schaub is a pro bowl MVP. TJ has started2 nfl games. And if TJ happens to lose one of the next three games all you people will be moaning for one the old fart backups

Mike77015
12-13-2011, 08:32 AM
What are you saying? Leinhart was 10-13 in attempts or something before he got hurt. I was utterly amazed by his statistics. I would try to keep all of them. Every Texans QB was playing very well when they started so you shouldn't release any of them.

Leinhart was going to get Foster killed with that checkdown pass, and would not spend anytime looking down field out of fear of being hit. That is why his stats looked so impressive, but you need to look at what kind of passes he was completing. Leinhart will never be a good starter in the NFL.

PHAROAH
12-13-2011, 08:39 AM
I think we have to see what is going to really happen with Mario Williams due to his large salary and we also have to re-sign Arian Foster as well so we do have some big choices to make in the very near future. I think we need to hold our horses and let this play out and we also have to see how Matt recovers from the Lis Franc injury as well so we have a number of factors going on here.

Kthx
12-13-2011, 08:47 AM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/126/314/3cd8a33a.png?1306264975

Its been two and a half games.. and even though Yates is playing decently he isn't up to Schaub's level yet. I don't know what else to say about this thread so..

Come on man.

PHAROAH
12-13-2011, 08:53 AM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/126/314/3cd8a33a.png?1306264975

Its been two and a half games.. and even though Yates is playing decently he isn't up to Schaub's level yet. I don't know what else to say about this thread so..

Come on man.Hey just think back when Tom Brady took over for Drew Bledsoe everyone said the same thing that you are saying no one thought that Tom Brady would lead them to a super bowl victory that season and take over a for a Drew Bledsoe who was still in his prime at the time. Drew couldn't unseat Tom Brady and there offense moved much better with Brady in the game. Can same thing be happening here lets wait and see!!!!

:doot::doot::doot:

Kthx
12-13-2011, 09:00 AM
I like Yates alot, and he might be the future of our Franchise, but two more years learning under Schaub and Kubiak wouldn't and couldn't hurt ya know. I am just saying lets not toss Schaub under the bus after Yates looks good :P

welsh texan
12-13-2011, 09:34 AM
I like Yates alot, and he might be the future of our Franchise, but two more years learning under Schaub and Kubiak wouldn't and couldn't hurt ya know. I am just saying lets not toss Schaub under the bus after Yates looks good :P

The point of the thread wasn't to 'toss Schaub under the bus' its more to discuss what the Texans are going to do about suddenly finding themselves in a situation where they have a hot prospect with the potential to eventually win the job.

Schaub is Schaub, he's really good but has hit his cieling. I agree with the previous post that he looks scared of contact a lot of the time and allows that to cloud his decision making. Sure he won't stop you from achieving anything but then again he isn't going to put the team on his back either.

I'm not really sure where Schaubs value is on the market, it'd be fair to expect his value has moved on from where it was when we first signed him to ~$8mill p/year. So what are we going to pay him? 10-12 a year? In that case you can wave goodbye to either Mario, or a load of other good players who will need paying in the coming few years.

Thats all I'm saying here. Do you want to pay top tier money for good but limited talent??

robroy72
12-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Trade Schaub, 2013 2nd and 3rd Round Picks to Washington for 2012 1st round pick.

Trade Washington 2012 1st round pick, Texans 2012 1st round pick, Texans 2013 1st round pick and 2012 Texans 4th round pick to Indy for 2012 #1 overall pick.

Draft RGIII and win titles.

:goodluck::goodluck::goodluck:

datchapin
12-13-2011, 10:03 AM
Let Schaub walk after next season. unless he´s willing to play second fiddle. I don´t have animosity against Schaub, but lets not forget even though he´s put up nice stats his performance is not elite. He has thrown alot of bad throws in critical situations some of which have cost us games over the years, hell, help me out, but how did the Raiders game end? Lets not forget how the offense would disappear in some halves, Matt was a part of that disappearing act. Some mention the decrease in points, but thats to be expected, YATES WAS THE THIRD STRING QB!!!! How many snaps do any of you think he really got, I mean when Schaub went down they didn't go to Yates did they? So having said that, coming off an injury Matt won't have much trade value, he has a history of injuries and is getting older. If Yates keeps improving I think you negotiate with Matt looking to give him a back-up salary. If Matt thinks he has a better shot on the free-agent market.... then good luck to him.

brad77
12-13-2011, 10:15 AM
I think we have to see what is going to really happen with Mario Williams due to his large salary and we also have to re-sign Arian Foster as well so we do have some big choices to make in the very near future. I think we need to hold our horses and let this play out and we also have to see how Matt recovers from the Lis Franc injury as well so we have a number of factors going on here.

Exactly. We have to get this contract situation taken care of long before we start worrying about the QB situation. If Tj can take us deep into the playoffs, I say put him at the number two slot and watch Schaub and see how he does with his foot injury. Right now, the team has a huge decision to make with Mario and with Foster. Both FA next year and both solid players. is it even possible to keep both on the roster and stay under the cap. Foster is going to get big $$ offers and its going to take some money to get him to stay. Remember he is the bargain player comming off the practice squad and becoming a league leading rusher. We have to find a way to sign these players, or decide whom we are going to let go.

Personally I like having the 1-2 punch of Foster and Tate, I don't know how but I feel we got to find a way to keep both backs and let them work together as they have done this season. Its been nice to see that they split time and both get ample rest. What do we do with Mario? Get him healthy? Trade Him? let him walk as a FA? these are tough questions that will be answered in the off season.

Goatcheese
12-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Let Schaub walk after next season. unless he´s willing to play second fiddle. I don´t have animosity against Schaub, but lets not forget even though he´s put up nice stats his performance is not elite. He has thrown alot of bad throws in critical situations some of which have cost us games over the years, hell, help me out, but how did the Raiders game end? Lets not forget how the offense would disappear in some halves, Matt was a part of that disappearing act. Some mention the decrease in points, but thats to be expected, YATES WAS THE THIRD STRING QB!!!! How many snaps do any of you think he really got, I mean when Schaub went down they didn't go to Yates did they? So having said that, coming off an injury Matt won't have much trade value, he has a history of injuries and is getting older. If Yates keeps improving I think you negotiate with Matt looking to give him a back-up salary. If Matt thinks he has a better shot on the free-agent market.... then good luck to him.

This post is like a train wreck. I just can't look away. :mariopalm:

Hervoyel
12-13-2011, 03:43 PM
I just keep thinking "What a positively wonderful problem to have!"

GuerillaBlack
12-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Depends on what TJ does. If he leads us to the SB, even in a loss there, he deserves the starting job. We trade Schaub for some high draft picks, and use those on a #2 WR and some CB help. Yates just has much more talent than Schaub and no one can deny that. Only thing Schaub has over Yates is experience, in my opinion. Yates will get his.

texanmojo
12-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Depends on what TJ does. If he leads us to the SB, even in a loss there, he deserves the starting job. We trade Schaub for some high draft picks, and use those on a #2 WR and some CB help.

I disagree. What's to say that Schaub wouldn't have lead us to the Super Bowl if he hadn't gotten hurt?

Our offensive production is down DRASTICALLY without Shaub. I think Yates has done a nice job considering the circumstances but by no means am I willing to annoint him the next Texans QB. He's a backup fro Christ's sake.

I'm confident that the Texans probably would not have been in the position to have to come from behind this past weekend if Schaub had been playing.

I say...let Leinart go. He's not going to want to be 3rd string. Yates can be a good backup until Schaub retires...or is not capable of playing at the level he does now.

Kthx
12-13-2011, 05:45 PM
From what I could see out of Leinart the guy would be happy being a 5th string QB as long as he got paid, he seriously didn't even seem like he wanted to be out there to begin with. I say drop him hard this year.

Atl Cav
12-13-2011, 09:15 PM

This is a predictable and short-sighted response...These games would havebeen blowouts with an experienced QB like Schaub. Hopefully management will understand a great defense and a quality running game alone wont get us to the top. But I can understand your enthusiasm for Yates...I share it. but i dont want to finally have all of the ingredients we have lacked for years and deal the one asset that had carried the team for years.

thunderkyss
12-13-2011, 09:32 PM
This is a predictable and short-sighted response...These games would havebeen blowouts with an experienced QB like Schaub.

Maybe.

When the question, "Can we win a Super Bowl with Matt Schaub" comes up, the answer usually references Dilfer or Johnson. Though many do not want to admit it, I think it mean we all know that something is missing.

That something, we're seeing in Tj Yates.

"It"

Six years into this, it should be clear whether Schaub has "it" or not. You'd think anyway. Personally, I don't think we'll know if Schaub has "it" until we see him in a play-off game.

I also don't know if Tj's "it" is real, won't know until he plays in the play-offs.... like Romo. He's got "fool's it" looks like the real thing, unless the game matters & they don't really matter until you're in the play-offs.

Premier
12-13-2011, 11:40 PM
This is a predictable and short-sighted response...These games would have been blowouts with an experienced QB like Schaub.

the texans blowout the Titans, Bucs, and Browns and fans get all giddy and assume were gonna blow out every team.. how was the score indicative of TJs play. the kid was moving the chains ALL GAME. would jacoby have caught the deep ball if schaub threw it? would tate not have fumbled at the goal line if schaub handed him the ball? what about rackers missed FG.. is that on Yates.. 20-point swing had us down at halftime.. re-watch the game youll see a couple dropped balls that ended drives... these are the exact types of games schaub loses.. when you need a qb to step up for a team that isnt playing PERFECT, schaub fails time and time in these situations...

assuming a blowout is beyond ridiculous.. the fact that there are so many votes to re-sign schaub has me concerned for our fans.. mediocrity, folks must love it..

"We realized what was on the line there," tight end Owen Daniels said. "It is unbelievable what T.J. was able to do, finding people down the field, avoiding the rush and making plays. It was so smooth. I've never seen anything like it."

seems like the truth hurts for schaub apologists...

infantrycak
12-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Depends on what TJ does. If he leads us to the SB, even in a loss there, he deserves the starting job.

Remind me of the starting QB's who lost their jobs after injury to backups who had worse QB ratings?

Before you bother to look it up, Brady came in and had a significantly higher rating than Bledsoe's.

Maybe.

When the question, "Can we win a Super Bowl with Matt Schaub" comes up, the answer usually references Dilfer or Johnson. Though many do not want to admit it, I think it mean we all know that something is missing.

That something, we're seeing in Tj Yates.

"It"

Six years into this, it should be clear whether Schaub has "it" or not. You'd think anyway. Personally, I don't think we'll know if Schaub has "it" until we see him in a play-off game.

I also don't know if Tj's "it" is real, won't know until he plays in the play-offs.... like Romo. He's got "fool's it" looks like the real thing, unless the game matters & they don't really matter until you're in the play-offs.

Well that post was certainly full of it.

Kthx
12-13-2011, 11:49 PM
the texans blowout the Titans, Bucs, and Browns and fans get all giddy and assume were gonna blow out every team.. how was the score indicative of TJs play. the kid was moving the chains ALL GAME. would jacoby have caught the deep ball if schaub threw it? would tate not have fumbled at the goal line if schaub handed him the ball? what about rackers missed FG.. is that on Yates.. 20-point swing had us down at halftime.. re-watch the game youll see a couple dropped balls that ended drives... these are the exact types of games schaub loses.. when you need a qb to step up for a team that isnt playing PERFECT, schaub fails time and time in these situations...

assuming a blowout is beyond ridiculous.. the fact that there are so many votes to re-sign schaub has me concerned for our fans.. mediocrity, folks must love it..

"We realized what was on the line there," tight end Owen Daniels said. "It is unbelievable what T.J. was able to do, finding people down the field, avoiding the rush and making plays. It was so smooth. I've never seen anything like it."

seems like the truth hurts for schaub apologists...

Get real man. Everyone here likes that TJ has been able to play well in the situation, and I haven't heard anyone say that he hasn't already taken the #2 slot from Leinart but to say that people who think Schaub is better at this point than TJ are settling for mediocrity is dumb.

It's pretty obvious that Yates isn't as good at concealing handoffs on bootlegs, isn't as good at spotting blitz packages on the other teams defensive line, isn't able to notice blindside blitzes, and still gets a bit nervous and takes some wild and high throws. I am not saying that he won't be getting better at these things every week but you can't deny that he had plenty of overthrows on some easy to make short passes, and also took five sacks (not all of them were the Olines fault either).

I hate to bring up any negatives to the guy who basically became a Houston Hero overnight because I myself really like the guy and enjoy watching him play but don't get caught up in the moment and forget everything Schaub brings to the table either.

TexansLucky13
12-13-2011, 11:57 PM
Remind me of the starting QB's who lost their jobs after injury to backups who had worse QB ratings?

Before you bother to look it up, Brady came in and had a significantly higher rating than Bledsoe's

If we win the Super Bowl with Yates at QB there WILL be strong consideration for him to start next year. End of discussion.

Premier
12-14-2011, 12:02 AM
Yates stares down the blitz and gets rid of the ball.. Schaub picks up the blitz and rolls over.. you want to stick with the vet because hes more technically sound then a kid with raw talent that trumps our starters talent. he also possesses the qb skills that schaub will NEVER have. save me your praise for this dude... keep your numbers, his numbers have lead him to a .500 record with the texans. keep your excuses about the texans defenses in the past, there are qbs who currently have the 27th, 31st, 32nd ranked defenses and 10-3, 10-3, & 13-0 records, respectively.. excuses galore.. schaub is 30, his ceiling was reached years ago. i dont know what you guys are waiting for with schaub.. its never gonna happen.. i really think you people believe the Texans were going to be blowing out teams in the playoffs.. smh

the people stringing to the hope of schaub are the same people that said we were done when he went down...

keep clinging to schaubs very short list of irrelevant accolades, 2009 pass leader? pro-bowl MVP? you get real..

Kthx
12-14-2011, 12:05 AM
What was our record before Schaub went out?

Rey
12-14-2011, 12:11 AM

Before you bother to look it up, Brady came in and had a significantly higher rating than Bledsoe's.

Well that post was certainly full of it.

How many teams lose their first and second team qb and go on to clinch the division anyways? How many teams continue to win with injuries to such key players?

This isn't a situation that teams typically find themselves in.

Also, schaub as a fourth year player and his first year here he had an 87 passer rating. He has gotten better since then. No reason Yates as a rookie wouldn't progress.

He has two full games under his belt and four weeks ago wasn't getting many reps in practice. I think it's a little early to look at his qb rating.

Statistically Yates doesn't have to be better than schaub right away. If he shows great potential and is a key factor in us winning games it's going to be a tough decision come spring.

Rey
12-14-2011, 12:14 AM
What was our record before Schaub went out?

What is our record since he's gone down?

ChampionTexan
12-14-2011, 12:20 AM
Get real man. Everyone here likes that TJ has been able to play well in the situation, and I haven't heard anyone say that he hasn't already taken the #2 slot from Leinart but to say that people who think Schaub is better at this point than TJ are settling for mediocrity is dumb.

It's pretty obvious that Yates isn't as good at concealing handoffs on bootlegs, isn't as good at spotting blitz packages on the other teams defensive line, isn't able to notice blindside blitzes, and still gets a bit nervous and takes some wild and high throws. I am not saying that he won't be getting better at these things every week but you can't deny that he had plenty of overthrows on some easy to make short passes, and also took five sacks (not all of them were the Olines fault either).

I hate to bring up any negatives to the guy who basically became a Houston Hero overnight because I myself really like the guy and enjoy watching him play but don't get caught up in the moment and forget everything Schaub brings to the table either.

:goodpost:

TexansBull
12-14-2011, 12:26 AM
Schaub maybe on the PUP list so Yates may get the start anyway and it maybe his job to lose then. Yates is going to have to look pretty special in the playoffs to unseat Matt and he has to go undefeated the rest of the way too.

If anything, franchise Schaub.

Rey
12-14-2011, 12:27 AM
Yates is not going to be as good as schaub was this year. Period.

But considering the circumstances he has played extremely well. Not well enough to be the starter yet, but it is unrealistic to expect him to be schaubs equal or greater in just his second start.

infantrycak
12-14-2011, 12:44 AM
If we win the Super Bowl with Yates at QB there WILL be strong consideration for him to start next year. End of discussion.

Yeah by fans and radio commentators. The coaches won't give it significant consideration until TJ significantly bumps his completion %, ypa, TD's, etc.

Yates stares down the blitz and gets rid of the ball.. Schaub picks up the blitz and rolls over.

LOL, thanks for proving your eyes deceive you. Schaub has consistently torn up blitz packages over the past three years.

Peyton Manning is the benchmark possibly of all time of at the line D analysis, changing plays to counter the D, quick release and beating blitzes. So certainly Mr. Roll Over sucks compared to him - or:

2008 - better QB rating than Manning when blitzed.
2009 - behind Manning but just under 100 QB rating.
2010 - again better rated than Manning.

TexansLucky13
12-14-2011, 12:53 AM
Yeah by fans and radio commentators. The coaches won't give it significant consideration until TJ significantly bumps his completion %, ypa, TD's, etc.

http://cdn.cosbysweaters.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/tim_tebow_broncos.jpg

Back to reality

Premier
12-14-2011, 12:56 AM

LOL, thanks for proving your eyes deceive you. Schaub has consistently torn up blitz packages over the past three years.

Peyton Manning is the benchmark possibly of all time of at the line D analysis, changing plays to counter the D, quick release and beating blitzes. So certainly Mr. Roll Over sucks compared to him - or:

2008 - better QB rating than Manning when blitzed.
2009 - behind Manning but just under 100 QB rating.
2010 - again better rated than Manning.

32-34 career record... mediocrity..

lets talk more numbers..

schaubs career 2 minute rating is 48... 7 TDs. 9 INTs..

SCHAUB IS A SCARED QUARTERBACK..

please love my schaub...

infantrycak
12-14-2011, 01:23 AM
Back to reality

Yeah, Tebow came in and his QB rating is BETTER than his predecessor's. There's reality. When TJ (who I am impressed with and think will get better) gets up to Schaub's consistency and can pull off 5 scoring drives in a row with the last two being 99 yards and 94 yards against the Ravens, then we can talk.

lets talk more numbers..

SCHAUB IS A SCARED QUARTERBACK.

Citation for that assertion because yahoo has Schaub significantly higher and within 8 points of Manning on their careers.

Premier
12-14-2011, 01:24 AM
pull off 5 scoring drives in a row with the last two being 99 yards and 94 yards against the Ravens, then we can talk.

ahhh i love it... schaubs finest hour indeed..

how did that game e (http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6196/joshwilsonravensgamewin.jpg)nd (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEKJZxalrEc)?

TexansLucky13
12-14-2011, 01:47 AM
Yeah, Tebow came in and his QB rating is BETTER than his predecessor's. There's reality.

Tebow has a completion percentage of 48.5%, worse than any other QB with over 14 passes per game in over a decade. Yet, he has only lost one game. How could this be????

My point here is simple. TJ, as a rookie, is already proving that he can do what is necessary to win when it counts. IF (and I mean a big IF) he does what he did against the Bengals in the Super Bowl, I guaran-freakin-tee you that he has an excellent shot at starting for this team. That's all I am trying to say.

infantrycak
12-14-2011, 02:18 AM
Tebow has a completion percentage of 48.5%, worse than any other QB with over 14 passes per game in over a decade. Yet, he has only lost one game. How could this be????

What did I say? Tebow has done significantly better than his predecessor on QB rating - about 10 points. Let's wait to anoint TJ Yates until he is at about 106 instead of 82.

And please with the "how could this be." If you have been watching the games the Broncos have benefited from many factors other than Tebow. I mean seriously, did Tebow will Marion Barber to run out of bounds? Did Tebow vorpal mind force Barber into fumbling in OT while inside FG range? Without either of those two things Tebow is totally irrelevant.

ObsiWan
12-14-2011, 02:32 AM
:mariopalm:

siiiigh....
you guys make my
:headhurts:

Oh well, I guess a QB controversy thread because both the starter and the backup have been successful is better than a QB controversy thread because they both suck.

Carry on.
:slapfight:

TexansLucky13
12-14-2011, 03:32 AM
What did I say? Tebow has done significantly better than his predecessor on QB rating - about 10 points. Let's wait to anoint TJ Yates until he is at about 106 instead of 82.

And please with the "how could this be." If you have been watching the games the Broncos have benefited from many factors other than Tebow. I mean seriously, did Tebow will Marion Barber to run out of bounds? Did Tebow vorpal mind force Barber into fumbling in OT while inside FG range? Without either of those two things Tebow is totally irrelevant.

I made it quite clear that I was by no means putting TJ on a throne here. I'm exploring the "what if" of Yates leading us to the Super Bowl. You act like the QB rating is more important than a championship, or as if it would have no weight in consideration of his position next season.

That game is only one example, I have watched a few. It's pretty much as if Tebow flips a switch in the 4th quarter and says "Ok, let's win this game". The only reason I brought him up was to show how irrelevant QB stats can be in comparison to the biggest one...wins.

Hookem Horns
12-14-2011, 04:08 AM
What if Yates gets hurt during the first playoff game and Jake Delhomme takes us to the Super Bowl however he gets hurt in the 1st QTR and Jeff Garcia wins the Super Bowl for us, throwing for 500 yards in the process and also win the Super Bowl MVP?

Who is the starting QB for us next season? Schaub, Yates, Delhomme, or Garcia? ... on top of that Matt Leinart looks better than all of them during camp and preseason? Who should Kubiak start?

Wolf6151
12-14-2011, 04:14 AM
Honestly I think it's to early to answer this question. Yates still has alot to learn and experience to gain.

worldlyman
12-14-2011, 06:52 AM
ahhh i love it... schaubs finest hour indeed..

how did that game e (http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6196/joshwilsonravensgamewin.jpg)nd (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEKJZxalrEc)?

If you think that defines Schaub, you must be forgetting his moments against Washington, Green Bay, Miami, Kansas City...the NY Jets (even if his defense last year blew that game).

Let's see. Schaub threw the ball 60 times in that Ravens game in 2010. That many passes will surely invite a pick or two, I don't care who's the QB. (And didn't Peyton Manning throw a game-killing pick six in the Super Bowl? Hmm.)

The last pass was just one of those things in a game where Schaub had to overcome a slow start yet BRING back the Texans in that one. That last pick doesn't tarnish his overall performance in that game. Hardly anyone comes back from 21 or so points when behind the Ravens, but Schaub almost brought them back.

This year, Schaub has balanced the offense beautifully. He hasn't had to be super-passer this year yet he provided enough solid play AND LEADERSHIP to allow the Texans 30 points per game before his injury.

THAT production cannot be underestimated.

You can knock Schaub all you want but he is a high quality QB, no matter what you pick on or what you whine about. So we are fortunate that armchair haters like you don't make the call on that one.

I'm glad to see the emergence of TJ Yates but there's plenty of football left in this season.

GuerillaBlack
12-14-2011, 07:24 AM
If you think that defines Schaub, you must be forgetting his moments against Washington, Green Bay, Miami, Kansas City...the NY Jets (even if his defense last year blew that game).

Let's see. Schaub threw the ball 60 times in that Ravens game in 2010. That many passes will surely invite a pick or two, I don't care who's the QB. (And didn't Peyton Manning throw a game-killing pick six in the Super Bowl? Hmm.)

The last pass was just one of those things in a game where Schaub had to overcome a slow start yet BRING back the Texans in that one. That last pick doesn't tarnish his overall performance in that game. Hardly anyone comes back from 21 or so points when behind the Ravens, but Schaub almost brought them back.

This year, Schaub has balanced the offense beautifully. He hasn't had to be super-passer this year yet he provided enough solid play AND LEADERSHIP to allow the Texans 30 points per game before his injury.

THAT production cannot be underestimated.

You can knock Schaub all you want but he is a high quality QB, no matter what you pick on or what you whine about. So we are fortunate that armchair haters like you don't make the call on that one.

I'm glad to see the emergence of TJ Yates but there's plenty of football left in this season.

Still haven't been convinced. All I see that Schaub has over Yates is more time in the offense and experience in the NFL. Yates has one comeback that he put together himself in his resume (since you named the ones Schaub had). Schaub is a good QB, no denying that, but sometimes, you have to take one step backwards in order to take two steps forward. Our offensive production may be down slightly (never mind the fact that we have played good defenses this stretch), but it has the potential to be even better. Can't remember the last time Kubiak called a play to where Schaub had to bomb it to Jacoby deep, and in stride. Our receivers always have to stop and wait for the ball with Schaub on deep throws. Never seen Schaub scramble for 17 yards for a first down. Those types of things. Yates will get better reading defenses. He will get better at the timing with his receivers. He already shows he ready. See how quickly he was calling for the spike after that scramble he had? That's veteran stuff. Schaub is maxed out. Time to move on if Yates continues... I know people are saying its too early, but Yates continues to pass the eye test.

DexmanC
12-14-2011, 07:39 AM
ive seen enough of schaub to know what to expect from him. the texans arent going to be beating teams like baltimore, pitsburgh, new england, or new york in the playoffs with scores of 41-7.. playoff games with these teams will be close and will require a drive or 2 with a QB that doesn't shrink, concede sacks, and doesnt get that deer in the headlights look when hes under pressure.. schaub gets happy feet and makes dumb decisions because hes scared.. HES A SCARED QUARTERBACK.. why cant you people see this??

i dont need to be sold on schaub, im a texans fan, ive seen every game hes played. i used to defend the guy, not anymore.. im with the crowd that doesnt want him to be the houston texans quarterback anymore..

Look here, man. The meat of your post is true. Primarily the first paragraph.
The second paragraph will turn those with short attention spans off, although
it is also true.

TJ Yates beat put together a TOUCHDOWN DRIVE against A WINNING TEAM
ON THE ROAD. We've seen Schaub in that same situation, and he never
cashed in. In such drives he DID score a touchdown, people made avatars
and GIFS on the greatness of Andre Johnson on those drives. TJ, on
Sunday, was the PRIMARY MOVER for the 80-yard 2-minute drill and
he did it on his first try.

Schaub ain't never done it ONCE (winning drive, against a winning team,
on the road, without Andre Johnson.) I ain't sayin Schaub lost his job yet,
but the prospects don't look good for him right now.

GuerillaBlack
12-14-2011, 07:54 AM
Agreed Dex. Just keeping it real... Schaub is probably thinking about it himself.

DexmanC
12-14-2011, 07:58 AM

lets talk more numbers..

SCHAUB IS A SCARED QUARTERBACK..

please love my schaub...

The Texans didn't lose to the Raiders because Schaub was scared to
run it in. They lost because Jacoby Jones "forgot the route tree."
:sarcasm:

Texans fans love every stat in the book except "wins."
NOT :sarcasm:

Schaub choked in the exact same situation, against the Raiders, in 2011.
TJ, on his first try, cashed the check while displaying the "it" factor
we never got out of Schaub.

welsh texan
12-14-2011, 08:29 AM
I've got to say I'm hugely surprised at how this thread has gone. Never thought I'd see quite such a strong anti-Schaub feeling.

At this stage of the season our next two games, and depending on how Tenn play the next two weeks, possibly that game too, are in garbage time for those teams.

How Kubiak handles the gameplan in these next few games will be interesting, I'd be looking to open up the playbook a little more and allowing TJ a pass heavy gameplan to help him improve. I'd also temper that somewhat because you don't want to lower his confidence if you ask too much of him.

I'd also be less keen to run the ball so much as the chances of injury increase with every carry.

I'm just that excited to see TJ running this offense, I see some things that give me a confidence that I don't get with Schaub. for instance, with 8 seconds left at the goal line, i'm not expecting a pick6. When its 3rd and 17 and the coverage is tight all the way downfield, i'm not expecting a dumpoff to the running back that moves you 8 yards.

I don't know, maybe over the next few weeks, with the opposing teams gaining more and more tape on this guy, his flaws will be exposed and we'll all feel a bit silly for putting our trust in him. But for now, I'm giddy with excitement and what this guy is achieving against all the odds.

run-david-run
12-14-2011, 08:30 AM

I don't understand this. How many last minute drives does the man have to lead to get rid of this weird perception? Miami 07, Chiefs, Redskins Ravens last year. During the 9-7 season, he lead two drives for game-tying field goals with no timeouts (which Brown missed) and led us to the opposition 1 for game-tying TDs (on which Brown was stuffed/fumbled)....

I don't get it...:mariopalm:

HTown2ATX
12-14-2011, 08:34 AM
Cut Schaub NOW!! Fuq it!!

:backsout:

DexmanC
12-14-2011, 08:38 AM
I've got to say I'm hugely surprised at how this thread has gone. Never thought I'd see quite such a strong anti-Schaub feeling.

At this stage of the season our next two games, and depending on how Tenn play the next two weeks, possibly that game too, are in garbage time for those teams.

How Kubiak handles the gameplan in these next few games will be interesting, I'd be looking to open up the playbook a little more and allowing TJ a pass heavy gameplan to help him improve. I'd also temper that somewhat because you don't want to lower his confidence if you ask too much of him.

I'd also be less keen to run the ball so much as the chances of injury increase with every carry.

I'm just that excited to see TJ running this offense, I see some things that give me a confidence that I don't get with Schaub. for instance, with 8 seconds left at the goal line, i'm not expecting a pick6. When its 3rd and 17 and the coverage is tight all the way downfield, i'm not expecting a dumpoff to the running back that moves you 8 yards.

I don't know, maybe over the next few weeks, with the opposing teams gaining more and more tape on this guy, his flaws will be exposed and we'll all feel a bit silly for putting our trust in him. But for now, I'm giddy with excitement and what this guy is achieving against all the odds.

The way I see it, TJ adds a new dimension to the offense: A PlayMaker at
the QB position.

When Schaub was back there, the play was over when he was chased out
of the pocket more times than not. Yates is a chainmover for all four downs.
I've seen him take a boot leg for a two yard gain, rather than throw the ball
out of bounds. We saw a called run for TJ out of the shotgun for a huge
gain. We NEED this dimension if we're to take that "next step."

Schaub is "good enough" to get there, but TJ can PUT THE TEAM ON HIS BACK.
Big difference.

If experience is what separates the two, then give TJ a shot. Hell, a lot
of these guys praying for TJ to fail are the same ones who wanted Sage
Rosenfels to start. We all know that Sage ain't HALF the QB that TJ is,
but that's who Schaub almost lost his job to.

Schaub choked in the exact same situation, against the Raiders, in 2011,
that Yates found himself in against the Bengals. Aren't the Bengals a better
team than the Raiders? Didn't Schaub choke AT HOME, as opposed to on the
road? Why did you guys blame Jacoby, rather than Matt?

TJ, on his first try, cashed the check while displaying the "it" factor
we never got out of Schaub.

DexmanC
12-14-2011, 09:22 AM
I don't understand this. How many last minute drives does the man have to lead to get rid of this weird perception? Miami 07, Chiefs, Redskins Ravens last year. During the 9-7 season, he lead two drives for game-tying field goals with no timeouts (which Brown missed) and led us to the opposition 1 for game-tying TDs (on which Brown was stuffed/fumbled)....

I don't get it...:mariopalm:

All of those drives had Andre Johnson as the hero, and Matt playing sidekick.

TJ played THE UNDISPUTED HERO in HIS role. TJ got the touchdown, Schaub prayed for
the field goal (and failed most of the time.) When touchdowns were scored,
Andre Johnson was the main force of those drives.

Slight, but important difference.

Kthx
12-14-2011, 09:25 AM
We need to cut Andre Johnson so we can "Maehl it in" at the same time we cut Schaub next season.

DexmanC
12-14-2011, 09:27 AM
We need to cut Andre Johnson so we can "Maehl it in" at the same time we cut Schaub next season.

I think a lot of people would agree, that if you could cut Schaub to pay
both Arian AND Mario, you'll let TJ run this team next year. If re-signing
Schaub means the loss of Arian OR Mario, then you let Matt walk.

Mario and Arian are gamechangers. TJ has shown the ability to change
a game (3rd and 15 with no timeouts on the two minute drill.) Matt is
"just a guy" playing in a hell of a QB-friendly System.

IDEXAN
12-14-2011, 09:30 AM

I'm not because Schaub has been the Rodney Dangerfield on the Texans roster for some now, though I'm unsure why ? He's taken a tremendous physical beating in several games and stayed on the field to not just finish the game but deliver a strong performance which should only inspire support from fans. The guy is an excellent QB, top 10 or near top 10 in the league though not among the upper echelon.

PHAROAH
12-14-2011, 09:32 AM

Winners win, losers make excuses....Premier I like your thoughts on the QB situation I see the same thing this reminds me of what happened in New England back in 2000 when a 2nd year player Tom Brady got his shot when Pro Bowl QB Drew Bledsoe got hurt and he was still in his prime and he couldn't get his job back from Brady and he was traded let's see how it plays out but I like your thoughts. One other note Premier I like your Beats homie keep them pumping!!!!

PHAROAH
12-14-2011, 09:53 AM
Yates stares down the blitz and gets rid of the ball.. Schaub picks up the blitz and rolls over.. you want to stick with the vet because hes more technically sound then a kid with raw talent that trumps our starters talent. he also possesses the qb skills that schaub will NEVER have. save me your praise for this dude... keep your numbers, his numbers have lead him to a .500 record with the texans. keep your excuses about the texans defenses in the past, there are qbs who currently have the 27th, 31st, 32nd ranked defenses and 10-3, 10-3, & 13-0 records, respectively.. excuses galore.. schaub is 30, his ceiling was reached years ago. i dont know what you guys are waiting for with schaub.. its never gonna happen.. i really think you people believe the Texans were going to be blowing out teams in the playoffs.. smh

the people stringing to the hope of schaub are the same people that said we were done when he went down...

keep clinging to schaubs very short list of irrelevant accolades, 2009 pass leader? pro-bowl MVP? you get real..Premier some of our brethren on the site love numbers and mediocrity when it comes to Quarterbacking vs. winning games now some can make the argument Shaub was having his best season at winning games but he has been the starter now for what 5 seasons? I think that he has hit his peak at what you are going to see out of him in terms of numbers but numbers don't win games. Matt will continue to have the numbers in this system and we have to make the choice of bringing him back at his salary and the question is how will he respond to his injury and he was already not mobile he will move even less now.

thunderkyss
12-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Honestly I think it's to early to answer this question. Yates still has alot to learn and experience to gain.

They all do when they start. As a coach, you try to gauge whether they are ready to start playing or not, by what happens in practice & how they carry themselves.

When they get on the field on game day, the game is either too big or not. If it's not, he'll gain his best experience by being on the field.

Texan_Bill
12-14-2011, 10:03 AM
What if Yates gets hurt during the first playoff game and Jake Delhomme takes us to the Super Bowl however he gets hurt in the 1st QTR and Jeff Garcia wins the Super Bowl for us, throwing for 500 yards in the process and also win the Super Bowl MVP?

Who is the starting QB for us next season? Schaub, Yates, Delhomme, or Garcia? ... on top of that Matt Leinart looks better than all of them during camp and preseason? Who should Kubiak start?

Exactly... But how dare you interject any reason into an otherwise ridiculous conversation.

That said, I think we should re-sign HWSRN..... :smiliepalm: Ohhh Nooooo!! I feel another negative rep. coming from DocBar!!! Since he doesn't understand sardonic jokes, I'll add this, this time.

:mariopalm:

Goatcheese
12-14-2011, 02:20 PM
http://blogimages.thescore.com/nfl/files/2011/12/matt-schaub-scotter2.jpg

They see me rollin'

They hatin'

Hervoyel
12-14-2011, 05:19 PM

I'd think the answer would be obvious to even a casual follower of this team.

Dread-Head gets the start opening day F.T.W.

TexanSam
12-14-2011, 05:23 PM

Duh. Matt Leinart.

Rey
12-14-2011, 05:28 PM

Well if every qb we throw back there looks good and we win a sb it wouldn't matter.

Rey
12-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Still haven't been convinced. All I see that Schaub has over Yates is more time in the offense and experience in the NFL. Yates has one comeback that he put together himself in his resume (since you named the ones Schaub had). Schaub is a good QB, no denying that, but sometimes, you have to take one step backwards in order to take two steps forward. Our offensive production may be down slightly (never mind the fact that we have played good defenses this stretch), but it has the potential to be even better. Can't remember the last time Kubiak called a play to where Schaub had to bomb it to Jacoby deep, and in stride. Our receivers always have to stop and wait for the ball with Schaub on deep throws. Never seen Schaub scramble for 17 yards for a first down. Those types of things. Yates will get better reading defenses. He will get better at the timing with his receivers. He already shows he ready. See how quickly he was calling for the spike after that scramble he had? That's veteran stuff. Schaub is maxed out. Time to move on if Yates continues... I know people are saying its too early, but Yates continues to pass the eye test.

I'm not at the point where I'm ready to sit schaub in lieu of teej, but I agree that if he continues to play well he doesn't have to reach schaubs level stat wise to earn the job.

He's a rookie and should get better.

Dutchrudder
12-14-2011, 05:40 PM

What does this even mean? "Strong consideration"? If we don't win the Super Bowl then what? Is he automatically a backup? The chances of us winning the Super Bowl this year are pretty slim regardless.

Look, I get that there are a lot of people who don't trust Schaub 100%, but you and everyone else has seen exactly 2.5 games worth of Yates. He's hasn't proven that he can be a full-time starter yet, he's just the default choice at this point. For whatever reason, even Kubiak thought Lienart should be ahead of him on the depth chart, and Kubes is a QB guy. He may turn out to be better than Schaub, but I'm not holding my breath. And really, the last thing we need in this town is another QB controversy.

Schaub isn't and will never be a Brady, Manning or Brees. He's well above average, but not elite, and I don't think many people would argue against it. I do think he can win a Super Bowl, but not as a Dilfer or Brad Johnson, but more like an Eli Manning. He puts up some points, but isn't the only thing driving the offense. He also had a lot of support from his defense and the run game. I hope Yates has it in him as well to be able to put up a couple TDs in the playoff games.

infantrycak
12-14-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm not at the point where I'm ready to sit schaub in lieu of teej, but I agree that if he continues to play well he doesn't have to reach schaubs level stat wise to earn the job.

He's a rookie and should get better.

No TJ doesn't have to have stats across the board better than Schaub but consider this 9 of the 12 playoff teams as things currently stand have QB's in the top 10 of QB ratings. Romo is the only top 10 QB rating currently on the outside.

Rey
12-14-2011, 05:56 PM
No TJ doesn't have to have stats across the board better than Schaub but consider this 9 of the 12 playoff teams as things currently stand have QB's in the top 10 of QB ratings. Romo is the only top 10 QB rating currently on the outside.

If schaub was healthy right now, I'd stick him back out there. No question in my mind.

Im not one saying that teej should be the starter right now. So I agree that he has his work cut out for him.

What I am saying though, is he only has two full starts and all three games he's played in have come against pretty good defenses.

This weekends game against the panthers will be interesting to watch. I think playing against some bad teams will go a long way to helping improve his consistency.

infantrycak
12-14-2011, 06:19 PM
If schaub was healthy right now, I'd stick him back out there. No question in my mind.

Im not one saying that teej should be the starter right now. So I agree that he has his work cut out for him.

What I am saying though, is he only has two full starts and all three games he's played in have come against pretty good defenses.

This weekends game against the panthers will be interesting to watch. I think playing against some bad teams will go a long way to helping improve his consistency.

And don't get me wrong. I am excited about TJ. I just think people who have already decided he has "it" and are slagging Schaub are being ridiculous.

Goatcheese
12-14-2011, 07:09 PM
And don't get me wrong. I am excited about TJ. I just think people who have already decided he has "it" and are slagging Schaub are being ridiculous.

The Bengals game was a strange one to decide that he had "it" after. It was a game where he threw a completely :mcnugget: pick and ate a sack on 4th down giving up a huge fumble in a crucial situation down by two scores in the 4th quarter. He also took 5 sacks, 2 mostly his fault for getting spooked and looking at the rush, forgetting about finding a receiver.

I like a lot of the things he's done so far, but the deliriously happy outpouring of worship is just ridiculous.

thunderkyss
12-14-2011, 08:19 PM
What does this even mean? "Strong consideration"? If we don't win the Super Bowl then what? Is he automatically a backup? The chances of us winning the Super Bowl this year are pretty slim regardless.

Look, I get that there are a lot of people who don't trust Schaub 100%, but you and everyone else has seen exactly 2.5 games worth of Yates. He's hasn't proven that he can be a full-time starter yet, he's just the default choice at this point. For whatever reason, even Kubiak thought Lienart should be ahead of him on the depth chart, and Kubes is a QB guy. He may turn out to be better than Schaub, but I'm not holding my breath. And really, the last thing we need in this town is another QB controversy.

Schaub isn't and will never be a Brady, Manning or Brees. He's well above average, but not elite, and I don't think many people would argue against it. I do think he can win a Super Bowl, but not as a Dilfer or Brad Johnson, but more like an Eli Manning. He puts up some points, but isn't the only thing driving the offense. He also had a lot of support from his defense and the run game. I hope Yates has it in him as well to be able to put up a couple TDs in the playoff games.

Again, everyone who is picking Tj is saying IF. It's not like anyone is saying it's Tj's job to lose. He's looked good in 2.5 games, like you said. He looks ready. If he continues to look comfortable & able to play in this league over the next 8 weeks & has us one yard shy of a Super Bowl Championship, you're going to sit him as soon as Schaub gets healthy?

That doesn't make any sense.

If he looks 'meh... nobody wants him to replace Schaub. If we've seen the best of Tj Yates, nobody wants him to replace Schaub.

If we win the Super Bowl on the backs of Foster, Andre, & our defense & Tj did everything but cost us a game, then nobody would want to trade Schaub & crown Tj

thunderkyss
12-14-2011, 08:25 PM

Me too.

Wait.. no, I haven't seen anyone say that Tj is clearl better than Schaub right now. Everyone of them are saying if Tj continues to play well, including through the play-offs.

If Tj has a drive like the one he put together to win the Bengals game in a play-off game, he'll have one more play-off game winning drive than Matt Schaub.

GuerillaBlack
12-14-2011, 09:56 PM
The Bengals game was a strange one to decide that he had "it" after. It was a game where he threw a completely :mcnugget: pick and ate a sack on 4th down giving up a huge fumble in a crucial situation down by two scores in the 4th quarter. He also took 5 sacks, 2 mostly his fault for getting spooked and looking at the rush, forgetting about finding a receiver.

I like a lot of the things he's done so far, but the deliriously happy outpouring of worship is just ridiculous.

Yeah, like Schaub hasn't thrown any timely interceptions, or taken a sack with one arm hitting his chest. People were saying Yates has "it" after the Atlanta game. He's a rookie. he will make mistakes. But he shows a lot of promise also and has more potential than Schaub, which would help the team.

Lucky
12-17-2011, 09:57 AM
There are several interesting questions here.

First, when can Schaub be expected on the field following his rehab? By OTAs and minicamps? By training camp and preseason?

If Schaub isn't ready to go until the season starts, is he just handed his job back?

And what are the chances for his foot to be re-injured?

How would Schaub perform in the last year of a contract? Would he try to protect himself from injury heading into possible free agency?

Will the Matt Schaub post surgery be as good as the Pro Bowl MVP Schaub of 2009?

Would the Texans know enough about Yates after 5-1/2 regular season and (at least) one playoff game?

Would a 2012 Yates actually have more experience than Schaub had in 2007, as the new franchise QB?

If he performs well during his stint as starter in 2011, could Yates be a good soldier backing up Schaub in 2012? Could Schaub bite his tongue and play backup to Yates for a season?

How would Yates perform knowing Schaub could replace him after a poor performance? How would Schaub handle the pressure of a young QB pushing him?

As far as the rest of the season goes, it's que será, será. I'll be more than happy with whatever the outcome of the season. It's been an amazing stretch and I'll get to see a playoff game for the first time in 18 years. But, I also expect the Texans to be a Super Bowl contender in 2012. They have a lot of questions to answer. What about Mario? What happens with Wade? Does Foster get extended? But none will be bigger than how they answer the Schaub/Yates situation. The Texans have a window, and no one knows how big or small it is. How they handle the decisions at the QB position will be key in whether the Texans can enter the window and become champions.

burro
12-17-2011, 11:47 AM
It's a classic problem: the finished product who is reliably above average, but will never be elite v.s. the young wild card with huge potential. It's much too early to make a decision, but I'll say this much - if the FO does decide to bet the future on Yates, it would be unwise to just turn Schaub over to free agency. It would be best if we could unload him in a trade to someone in the NFC for draft picks.

TexansLucky13
12-17-2011, 11:58 AM

I apologize for both playing devil's advocate and being very excited about TJ. Simply put, I was trying to present a scenario where the FO/Coaches would choose him over Schaub when he returns. I apologize to those offended.

As I said before, it's quite obvious Schaub is our guy next year, as it stands right now. I am not a hater, though if his injuries become a trend I will be.

Texanator
12-17-2011, 12:37 PM

Most of those were little dump passes. That hardly counts as a stellar performance.

thunderkyss
12-17-2011, 03:05 PM
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh312/BudOx/Chill1-1-1.jpg

msr

ObsiWan
12-17-2011, 03:10 PM
There are several interesting questions here.

First, when can Schaub be expected on the field following his rehab? By OTAs and minicamps? By training camp and preseason?
CnnnD said this type of injuries can take anywhere from 6 to 12 months to heal. Then there's at least a 2-3 months of rehab/strengthening after that. So best case, Schaub isn't ready until July. Worst case, we're talking next October. My money is on September/October.

If Schaub isn't ready to go until the season starts, is he just handed his job back? If Schaub is completely 100% by preseason and he seems back to his normal self (whatever you deem that to be), he gets his job back. If he's out all T/C and preseason, then you go with the guy that earned the 1st string job in camp. But when he's fully functional, whenever that is, he should be given a shot to start.

And what are the chances for his foot to be re-injured?
That's a CnnnD question... or any other sports medicine informed poster(s). I'd like to hear some feedback myself. And I figure you mean just by doing normal QB stuff, not if some beached whale lands on it again...

How would Schaub perform in the last year of a contract? Would he try to protect himself from injury heading into possible free agency?
If Schaub plays "timid", for any reason, AND T.J. is still running the offense adequately, then Schaub goes to the bench. He cannot play scared and expect to keep his job. That applies to everyone.

Will the Matt Schaub post surgery be as good as the Pro Bowl MVP Schaub of 2009?
My crystal ball says, "Outlook cloudy". I certainly hope so. Right now, today, I'd rather have the 2009 Pro Bowl Schaub than the youngster who only has 2-1/2 games to his credit.

Would the Texans know enough about Yates after 5-1/2 regular season and (at least) one playoff game?
Know enough about him to do what? Trade Schaub? Keep him but kick him (Schaub) back to 2nd string? Something tells me Kubiak is way too conservative to turn the depth chart upside down based on 5-1/2 games.

Would a 2012 Yates actually have more experience than Schaub had in 2007, as the new franchise QB?
I think the short answer is "yes". I don't think Schaub saw any playoff action. Yates will have played in at least one playoff game... hopefully three... :D on top of a month and a half of regular season action.

If he performs well during his stint as starter in 2011, could Yates be a good soldier backing up Schaub in 2012? Could Schaub bite his tongue and play backup to Yates for a season?
Both are team players and don't strike me as whinny types. They'll do what coach says. They may not like it, Schaub thinks it's his job and T.J. will feel that he earned it, but neither will make waves. ...ain't no drama queens on this team ...at least not since "pay me Rick" left town.

How would Yates perform knowing Schaub could replace him after a poor performance? How would Schaub handle the pressure of a young QB pushing him?
I don't think Kubiak would put either in that position. Once he decides on who's #1, that's how it's going to be. It would take monumental suckage by Schaub or T.J. for that decision to be overturned. In our system, I don't see that happening. Both guys can run the offense effectively.

As far as the rest of the season goes, it's que será, será. I'll be more than happy with whatever the outcome of the season. It's been an amazing stretch and I'll get to see a playoff game for the first time in 18 years. But, I also expect the Texans to be a Super Bowl contender in 2012. They have a lot of questions to answer. What about Mario? What happens with Wade? Does Foster get extended? But none will be bigger than how they answer the Schaub/Yates situation. The Texans have a window, and no one knows how big or small it is. How they handle the decisions at the QB position will be key in whether the Texans can enter the window and become champions.

Yes. Most interesting indeed.
My take on these queries is in red.

ObsiWan
12-17-2011, 03:11 PM
Most of those were little dump passes. That hardly counts as a stellar performance.

msr

I got him.
Very nice.

thunderkyss
12-17-2011, 03:27 PM
If Schaub is completely 100% by preseason and he seems back to his normal self (whatever you deem that to be), he gets his job back. If he's out all T/C and preseason, then you go with the guy that earned the 1st string job in camp. But when he's fully functional, whenever that is, he should be given a shot to start.

Just as some are prematurely ejacuYatesing, saying he should be the starter come next year, it's just as premature to say Schaub will get his job back.

Tj has a 5 game audition, with an option for extra games. If he clearly (depending on your interpretation) shows that he is better than Schaub, are you saying you'd hand the job back over to Matt regardless?

Remember, Schaub only started 2 games (for another team) before he was crowned our starter.

ObsiWan
12-18-2011, 05:39 AM
Just as some are prematurely ejacuYatesing, saying he should be the starter come next year, it's just as premature to say Schaub will get his job back.

Tj has a 5 game audition, with an option for extra games. If he clearly (depending on your interpretation) shows that he is better than Schaub, are you saying you'd hand the job back over to Matt regardless?

I didn't say "regardless". Edit: actually I did say that. But what I meant was.... Schaub should be given a chance to get his job back. After watching Kubiak all these years, I figure that will happen in practice. Whichever guy runs the team most effectively in practice will get game snaps. That's how Kubiak has always operated.

If T.J. performs in practice - assuming that he "clearly shows he's better than Schaub" during this "audition"; there's still time for him to screw up - then continuing to show he's better during camp/practice won't be a problem. If by some chance, T.J. suffers from the dreaded "sophomore slump" - and we've all seen rookies take a step back in their 2nd season - then Kubiak will roll with Schaub and Yates gets a year to mature.

Think of it this way, if I'm Kubiak, I got 5-8 games worth of "film" on Yates. OTOH, I've got almost 5 years of "film" on Schaub. In my mind it's just irresponsible to make that call without doing an A-B comparison of the two guys in camp.

Remember, Schaub only started 2 games (for another team) before he was crowned our starter.

Schaub didn't exactly come in to replace a pro bowl level QB now did he? You and I both know that was a totally different situation. If Schaub was some bum like HWWNBN then there'd be no discussion necessary. You're saying a two time pro bowl QB should lose his job because a rookie had 3 (so far) good games??

And I've been one of the guys complaining for years about Schaub's lack of mobility and arm strength. But I'm not ready to kick Schaub to the curb until I see much more from Yates.
Making that call before you have to - next training camp - is what doesn't make any sense.

Premier
12-18-2011, 07:28 AM
Schaub didn't exactly come in to replace a pro bowl level QB now did he? You're saying a two time pro bowl QB should lose his job

enough with this probowl nonsense.. schaub is a 1x pro bowler who was a fill-in because manning was in the superbowl and brady, roethlisberger, & rivers were injured..while its a nice personal accomplishment, it means nothing in the grand scheme of things.. stop acting like the term "A PRO BOWL QUARTERBACK" holds any weight, because it doesnt.. its a tidbit for fans to brag about. its a freaking all-star game.. one in which he wasnt even selected to outright..

Lucky
12-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Think of it this way, if I'm Kubiak, I got 5-8 games worth of "film" on Yates. OTOH, I've got almost 5 years of "film" on Schaub. In my mind it's just irresponsible to make that call without doing an A-B comparison of the two guys in camp.
There's zero film on Schaub post-surgery. I agree that they should compete in camp (assuming Yates performance over the remaining games warrants consideration). But if Schaub isn't ready to go in camp and play in the preseason...I think they would have to go with TJ. I think these last 3 games are crucial to making decisions for next season.

thunderkyss
12-18-2011, 09:24 AM
Schaub didn't exactly come in to replace a pro bowl level QB now did he? You and I both know that was a totally different situation. If Schaub was some bum like HWWNBN then there'd be no discussion necessary. You're saying a two time pro bowl QB should lose his job because a rookie had 3 (so far) good games??

I was referring to the 'copter. He wasn't a pro-bowler either, by any means. But he was good enough to win some.... I just didn't agree with anointing Schaub with no more than 2 starts in his career.

Tj is going to have 5 games, plus at least one play-off game. When it's all said & done, I think we should have enough info to know if that is the direction we want the team to go.

And I've been one of the guys complaining for years about Schaub's lack of mobility and arm strength. But I'm not ready to kick Schaub to the curb until I see much more from Yates.
Making that call before you have to - next training camp - is what doesn't make any sense.

Agree....... I think we're saying the same thing.

Thorn
12-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Next season is next season, right now Schaub doesn't mean anything to the Texans other than as a coach and mentor to TJ. So far TJ has done well. If he continues to do well and gains some valuable playoff experience while winning the Super Bowl, then we'll have a QB contriversy. Until then, it's all talk.

My own opinion is that TJ is the future of the Texans. Whether this starts next year or when doesn't matter, but I think we've got Schaub's successor running the show right now.

dalemurphy
12-18-2011, 09:50 AM
Next season is next season, right now Schaub doesn't mean anything to the Texans other than as a coach and mentor to TJ. So far TJ has done well. If he continues to do well and gains some valuable playoff experience while winning the Super Bowl, then we'll have a QB contriversy. Until then, it's all talk.

My own opinion is that TJ is the future of the Texans. Whether this starts next year or when doesn't matter, but I think we've got Schaub's successor running the show right now.

After re-watching the NO, Pitt, and Baltimore games last night, I really want to see Schaub back and healthy next year. He's brittle and doesn't even have the athleticism to fall well, but he is awfully good. Barrett and I are going to put up a video of the opening drive vs. Pittsburgh. That drive was the only one of the year where all 11 Texans starters were healthy. It's a thing of beauty. Schaub is highly accurate and a great decision-maker. If he was healthy, we would be the unquestioned favorites in the AFC right now and I'd be confident in our ability to play with Green Bay...

Still, it's a good problem to have now.

thunderkyss
12-18-2011, 10:04 AM
After re-watching the NO, Pitt, and Baltimore games last night, I really want to see Schaub back and healthy next year. He's brittle and doesn't even have the athleticism to fall well, but he is awfully good.

You should include the Oakland game, especially our last two drives. Schaub showed some toughness, & a little bit of his ability as a playmaker.... looked like 2009 Schaub..... probowl Schaub. I'd have liked to have seen more of that guy this year.

GuerillaBlack
12-18-2011, 10:10 AM
You should include the Oakland game, especially our last two drives. Schaub showed some toughness, & a little bit of his ability as a playmaker.... looked like 2009 Schaub..... probowl Schaub. I'd have liked to have seen more of that guy this year.

Was nice wasn't it? Funny thing is, TJ has shown those exact same traits in just two games, and that's with a hobbled team.

Trail.Blazr
12-18-2011, 11:06 AM
I started off as a Schaub basher. To compare Matt's stats to TJ's now for the sake of supporting Matt is worth very little to me. Matt's career stats compared similarly to Sage's. Matt, however is a proven winner. There's a lot of Tebow fans who would stress the importance of that one.

I agree it's a premature debate, but voted anyway. I don't believe he's the quarterback of the future, so it seems moot to me, but.. "If" Matt could warrant any decent picks in trade... There's got to be some consideration. He's a 30 year old QB with some wear and tear on him. While he hasn't shown any decline in skill, I can't see him getting significantly better. If TJ unexpectedly flops in the next few games, I'll be surprised. I'm not ready to anoint TJ as the QB of the future just yet. I'd really be happy if we could find a way to trade up in the draft and go after RG3, but if Schaub stays, I'd still even be a fan of Tannenhill in a later round, who could sit back with TJ and compete for a 2013 takeover.

The Texans need to invest in QB. Elite QB's are what gets you through the playoffs... Poor TJ will have the deck stacked against him this year.

ObsiWan
12-18-2011, 11:59 AM
enough with this probowl nonsense.. schaub is a 1x pro bowler who was a fill-in because manning was in the superbowl and brady, roethlisberger, & rivers were injured..while its a nice personal accomplishment, it means nothing in the grand scheme of things.. stop acting like the term "A PRO BOWL QUARTERBACK" holds any weight, because it doesnt.. its a tidbit for fans to brag about. its a freaking all-star game.. one in which he wasnt even selected to outright..

Okay.
Point taken.

Scratch "pro bowl" and insert "two time 4,000-plus-yd passer"
...and before Schaub was lost in 2008 (in game 11 I think), he had thrown for over 3000 yds for a per game average of 276 yds. Extrapolate that over 16 games and he, possibly, would have thrown for 4400+ yds. And even without those extra 5-1/2 games in 2008, Schaub had racked up 12,183 yds from 2008 -2010. That's over 4,000 yds/season.

...that hold any weight....?

does for me.

burro
12-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Okay.
Point taken.

Scratch "pro bowl" and insert "two time 4,000-plus-yd passer"
...and before Schaub was lost in 2008 (in game 11 I think), he had thrown for over 3000 yds for a per game average of 276 yds. Extrapolate that over 16 games and he, possibly, would have thrown for 4400+ yds. And even without those extra 5-1/2 games in 2008, Schaub had racked up 12,183 yds from 2008 -2010. That's over 4,000 yds/season.

...that hold any weight....?

does for me.

It's statistically impressive, but has it translated to wins? Premature as this debate is, we wouldn't be having it if Schaub's stats had meant winning consistently over the last four years. Just sayin'...

Trail.Blazr
12-18-2011, 01:35 PM
It's statistically impressive, but has it translated to wins? Premature as this debate is, we wouldn't be having it if Schaub's stats had meant winning consistently over the last four years. Just sayin'...

Win/Loss is not exactly something that hangs off the play of #8 over the last 4 years. In all fairness to Matt, Offensively, the Texans have typically put up the numbers needed to win consistently. Their failure to win consistently can/should be more directly represented by the Defense's inability to provide balance on those teams. This year has been a long time coming defensively and look where they are as a result of Defensive resurgence.

As many have said, it's a bit premature to really have a solid argument for displacing Matt as next year's starter. TJ is certainly on the path for warranting much debate, which, given current circumstances is a luxury not many would have necessarily anticipated... Especially without #80 out there to give him a fighter's chance.

I personally believe that Matt is just as deserving of success as Andre, and it kills me to see him sitting in a scooter right now. I respect what he's given this team and in the manner he's done so. He isn't as athletic as Andre, but I would put him right there with Dre in respect to what he's done for this team. Matt's biggest weakness is bad luck.. Having Fat Albert roll him; Having Jared Allen snipe him; Examples of injuries that you can't say make him prone, but still had impacts on the team.

While I don't know that you shop him, but if some team offers a trade for some picks AFTER what everyone should be wishing, in that TJ continues to improve and learn in the games ahead.. maybe even simply wins a playoff game, you have to know that it isn't by mistake or luck. TJ has to be considered for being able to keep this team winning into 2012. I think you have to consider getting something out of Matt vs bet on him in what is a very uncertain future in terms of health and what it would take financially to retain him past 2012.

ObsiWan
12-18-2011, 03:56 PM
T.J. came back to Earth today.

Jury still isn't out. He has three more chances to shine.

...or not.

We'll see.

Atl Cav
12-18-2011, 04:05 PM
This thread is ridiculous.

With Schaub this team is a Super Bowl team, Without we have struggled against mediocrity. Yates wasnt even a real good college QB.

Get real.iam p@ssed off we lost matt after finally having all the pieces. It just plain s@cks. Period.

worldlyman
12-18-2011, 04:22 PM

With Schaub this team is a Super Bowl team, Without we have struggled against mediocrity. Yates wasnt even a real good college QB.

Get real.iam p@ssed off we lost matt after finally having all the pieces. It just plain s@cks. Period.

Agree wholeheartedly.

Like I pointed out recently, with TJ Yates under center...the Texans offense has stopped lighting up the scoreboard. It doesn't matter if its good defenses like those of Atlanta and Cincy. And now we see it doesn't matter if it's a 2nd-3rd string defense like that of Carolina's:

TJ Yates is no Matt Schaub. At least not yet.

But I hope TJ continues to learn from this and help pound on Indy next game and into this post-season.

It figures. The Rockets were on a hot roll in 2007, keeping neck and neck with the Lakers for Western Conference top seed. Then boom. Yao out for the year when he was playing well.

It sucks this happened again to the Texans who were on a roll keeping neck and neck with the AFC elites.

thunderkyss
12-18-2011, 09:00 PM

To be fair, we're also missing our starting RG, #1 receiver, franchise sack leader, our kicker's foot fell asleep & our star running back is battling fumblitus.

Today, the Panthers looked better than the Raiders from week 5, if that means anything.

welsh texan
03-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Thought I'd give this thread a bump to see how people view the contractual status of Schaub right now.

I wrote in another thread that I see Schaub's contract as the biggest variable next off-season. I can't see Barwin & Brown receiving anything other than top-dollar for their positions based on their play, only serious loss of form/injury could change that.

Either we can pay it or we can't, we've shown that we are able to identify and coach up talent at OLB so I'd say, by the time negotiations come we may have the option to move Barwin on.

Schaub on the other hand will be an interesting call. He's earning what? $9mill this year? Which is a lot of money, but not a lot for a franchise QB. He's coming off a really nasty injury, and was clearly in the 'good but never going to be elite' catagory before that injury.

Do people see Schaub getting another contract with Houston? What price do you reckon that contract will cost? Would you be willing to lose one of Brown/Barwin, or both to ensure you keep him?

The problem is, you can get better at the position, although you're by no means guaranteed to, he's the wrong side of 30, and the O has shown it can tick over well without him.

Another factor is that we are highly unlikely to lock him up before next years FA, by the time he's proven himself fit enough to be worth a contract, it won't be in his interest not to wait it out.

Allstar
03-27-2012, 03:31 PM
I don't see Kubiak and Schaub parting ways. Not making a play for Manning solidified that in my opinion.

TexCanada
03-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Well we have cleared up some space for next season by getting 'Meco's contract off the books. Schaub's contract is also up, and I assume we will have less "dead money" on the books as well. I don't think cap space will be quite as bad as it is this year, but we can't really know for sure.

It all really depends on how Schaub performs this year. If he can return to his pre-injury level of play then I think we have to find a way to keep him. If he can't, and Yates ends up getting a lot of snaps, then we might have to change directions. I really hope he just does well and re-signs with us for a similar contract amount.

Ryan
03-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Thought I'd give this thread a bump to see how people view the contractual status of Schaub right now.

I wrote in another thread that I see Schaub's contract as the biggest variable next off-season. I can't see Barwin & Brown receiving anything other than top-dollar for their positions based on their play, only serious loss of form/injury could change that.

Either we can pay it or we can't, we've shown that we are able to identify and coach up talent at OLB so I'd say, by the time negotiations come we may have the option to move Barwin on.

Schaub on the other hand will be an interesting call. He's earning what? $9mill this year? Which is a lot of money, but not a lot for a franchise QB. He's coming off a really nasty injury, and was clearly in the 'good but never going to be elite' catagory before that injury.

Do people see Schaub getting another contract with Houston? What price do you reckon that contract will cost? Would you be willing to lose one of Brown/Barwin, or both to ensure you keep him?

The problem is, you can get better at the position, although you're by no means guaranteed to, he's the wrong side of 30, and the O has shown it can tick over well without him.

Another factor is that we are highly unlikely to lock him up before next years FA, by the time he's proven himself fit enough to be worth a contract, it won't be in his interest not to wait it out.

Most QBs get better in their 30's, idk how Schaub is on the wrong side of 30 when he still could have 5-6 quality years.

The injury was bad, but it seems like based off of what he's saying(although it could be smoke and mirrors), that he'll be close to 100% if not 100% by the time the season starts. Unless we just suck our way into a #1 pick and a younger, potential franchise QB falls into our lap we re-sign him.

I was on the opinion that we didn't fare very well without him last year. Yates did an honorable job, but our PPG fell very significantly and with Andre consistently banged up they just loaded the box trying to stop Arian. If we had the defense of 2010 we would not have made the playoffs with Yates those final 6 games, in my opinion.

I'm still on board for locking him up before next year while having a contract similar in stature to what Peyton had, not dollar wise, but a way to opt out of the contract after a year if his injury turns out worse than what we had imagined.

welsh texan
03-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Well we have cleared up some space for next season by getting 'Meco's contract off the books. Schaub's contract is also up, and I assume we will have less "dead money" on the books as well. I don't think cap space will be quite as bad as it is this year, but we can't really know for sure.

It all really depends on how Schaub performs this year. If he can return to his pre-injury level of play then I think we have to find a way to keep him. If he can't, and Yates ends up getting a lot of snaps, then we might have to change directions. I really hope he just does well and re-signs with us for a similar contract amount.

Indeed, that would be the best solution all round, especially if we don't have to dip into any savings already made to keep hold of him. I know its a bit of a bone of contention with FA's, but I pretty much count their outgoing contract as a 'saving' against the cap, if they re-up at a similar level you haven't lost/gained anything.

The real issue will come if Schaub plays, but not well. Or plays well, but isn't healthy all year. Then it will become a massive potential banana skin.

I love me some Matt Schaub, I think he's very good in our system, but he isn't worth a Manning-like situation, signing him to some huge contract and wasting a year in the rebuilding process if he doesn't get healthy.

I'm marking it now, I predict Schaub will be the key piece of business next off-season to how the franchise moves forward, and I think its very worthy of some discussion right now, given his fitness battle.

badboy
03-27-2012, 03:42 PM
I think we'd better hope that Yates is our next starter. IMO, there are no QBs in next two drafts that could replace Schaub in 2013 at our picks. Unless there is an Atlanta type trade for Matt, we have few options. Unless we give him a train load of money he could do a Mario,regardless of what Texan fans think he is worth, there could be a Buffalo just waiting. Stats and history of these two are similar despite Matt's age & he could get that incredible deal.

ckhouston
03-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Let him play out the year (if he is ever cleared to play) and see how he performs.

ckhouston
03-27-2012, 03:43 PM
I think we'd better hope that Yates is our next starter. IMO, there are no QBs in next two drafts that could replace Schaub in 2013 at our picks. Unless there is an Atlanta type trade for Matt, we have few options. Unless we give him a train load of money he could do a Mario,regardless of what Texan fans think he is worth, there could be a Buffalo just waiting. Stats and history of these two are similar despite Matt's age & he could get that incredible deal.

If he gets a Mario deal I will eat my own placenta.

Ole Miss Texan
03-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Gotta let this season play out and see how he comes back from his injury. I think we're lucky from that standpoint. It's a wait and see approach - Schaub and his agent should understand that.

If he's healthy and the same Matt Schaub we've seen, he will be re-signed and stay a Texan. We need to make room for him.

What are the three most important positions in the NFL?

1. QB
2. LT
3. Pass Rusher

It's funny that all three come due in the same year. Our priorities should be to re-sign Schaub, Brown and Barwin in that order. I'm the biggest Barwin fan on here, and have been since he was drafted... but he would be easier to replace (if we have to) than a franchise QB or franchise LT. I really really hope we can re-sign all 3.

badboy
03-27-2012, 03:53 PM
If he gets a Mario deal I will eat my own placenta.Need a fork? I could see him doubling his 2012 base, though.

ckhouston
03-27-2012, 03:56 PM
but he would be easier to replace (if we have to) than a franchise QB or franchise LT

Sign Barwin and Brown.

Texans haven't drafted or traded for their franchise QB yet.

WolverineFan
03-27-2012, 04:03 PM

QB is pretty deep next year. Barkley will get all the attention and go #1. Landry Jones isn't all that good, IMO, but someone will snatch him up pretty early. I think Tyler Bray is going to be a very good pro QB and he might declare early. Aaron Murray has a shot to be pretty good although I expect him to stay for another year.

Tyler Wilson is a bit of a darkhorse right now. I'm not sure how he projects to the next level. Petrino coached QB's don't seem to do that well in the league. E.J. Manuel and Geno Smith both have potential but aren't 1st round caliber. I'm also intrigued by Mike Glennon out of NC State. Has all the physical tools but needs to put it together. Same with Logan Thomas.

I think if we need to draft a QB in the next 2 years then we can find a good one, but it's good that we have Yates on board to bridge the gap. Hell, Yates might even take over for Schaub who knows.

welsh texan
03-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Agree with the point that there could be a Buffalo-Mario situation out there, and it could even be Buffalo who go after him. Plenty of teams will still be desperate to hit the low-cap as well, especially if extra money comes available from the TV deal.

I at least feel confident that TJ would be serviceable if we did lose Schaub. Can't tell if he's got the potential to be franchise or not yet though, would need a lot of work to get there though.

I especially think Brown is the priority because he's just too good to let go. What are the chances of replacing him through the draft? How much is any QB worth behind a bad LT?

Next is Schaub, if fit, as I've stated elsewhere, Barwin is really good, but we've shown we know how to draft and coach up pass rushers, long before we even had Wade.

But by then we'll have to be setting aside the cash to re-up Cushing as well, if we can't do that next year, we'd sure as hell better work cap room to make sure he's ours the following year.

badboy
03-27-2012, 04:08 PM
QB is pretty deep next year. Barkley will get all the attention and go #1. Landry Jones isn't all that good, IMO, but someone will snatch him up pretty early. I think Tyler Bray is going to be a very good pro QB and he might declare early. Aaron Murray has a shot to be pretty good although I expect him to stay for another year.

Tyler Wilson is a bit of a darkhorse right now. I'm not sure how he projects to the next level. Petrino coached QB's don't seem to do that well in the league. E.J. Manuel and Geno Smith both have potential but aren't 1st round caliber. I'm also intrigued by Mike Glennon out of NC State. Has all the physical tools but needs to put it together. Same with Logan Thomas.

I think if we need to draft a QB in the next 2 years then we can find a good one, but it's good that we have Yates on board to bridge the gap. Hell, Yates might even take over for Schaub who knows.Uh, re-read your post and tell me how you come up with draft being deep? Barkley was sliding on several mocks before he decided to go back to school. I agree he and Bray will go high but that doesn't do anything for Texans. The rest you mentioned are "maybes" & as of now I see no reason to be excited about any.

WolverineFan
03-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Uh, re-read your post and tell me how you come up with draft being deep? Barkley was sliding on several mocks before he decided to go back to school. I agree he and Bray will go high but that doesn't do anything for Texans. The rest you mentioned are "maybes" & as of now I see no reason to be excited about any.

Those are just guys off the top of my head. That didn't even include any small school prospects, sleepers, etc (or any research at all really). Not to mention that half those guys just finished their Sophomore seasons.

Barkley and Jones are the only ones with established track records on that list, helped by the fact that they're the only Seniors (2013). We will have a much, much better idea of the QB class after this coming season.

Blake
03-27-2012, 04:15 PM
As long as teams are starting Tim Tebow's, Kevin Kolb's Chad Henne's and Rex Grossman's, Schaub will be a Texan as long as he wants to be.

welsh texan
03-27-2012, 04:18 PM
As long as teams are starting Tim Tebow's, Kevin Kolb's Chad Henne's and Rex Grossman's, Schaub will be a Texan as long as he wants to be.

And on that side, it goes the other way too doesn't it. Schaub is clearly better than all of those, how many of those teams will be after him in FA?

badboy
03-27-2012, 04:26 PM
Agree with the point that there could be a Buffalo-Mario situation out there, and it could even be Buffalo who go after him. Plenty of teams will still be desperate to hit the low-cap as well, especially if extra money comes available from the TV deal.

I at least feel confident that TJ would be serviceable if we did lose Schaub. Can't tell if he's got the potential to be franchise or not yet though, would need a lot of work to get there though.

I especially think Brown is the priority because he's just too good to let go. What are the chances of replacing him through the draft? How much is any QB worth behind a bad LT?

Next is Schaub, if fit, as I've stated elsewhere, Barwin is really good, but we've shown we know how to draft and coach up pass rushers, long before we even had Wade.

But by then we'll have to be setting aside the cash to re-up Cushing as well, if we can't do that next year, we'd sure as hell better work cap room to make sure he's ours the following year.Fortunately in our O. a QB does not have to be franchise type just above avg and hopefully TJ can be that. I agree with you that LT is priority and we should start drafting from here out to begin replacing our higher price vets as possible. In my plan, I'd draft a WR2 &3 to replace JJ and KW next month. We should be able to draft lower round guy to replace Wade Smith, too. Also think we can get a decent OLB to eventually replace Barwin but that can be done 2013 draft.

Ole Miss Texan
03-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Fortunately in our O. a QB does not have to be franchise type

To play devil's advocate... The same can be said for runningback, wide receiver and any offensive linemen.

Dutchrudder
03-27-2012, 04:34 PM
To play devil's advocate... The same can be said for runningback, wide receiver and any offensive linemen.

So we only need a franchise tight end? Darn, if only we had Vernon Davis...

Blake
03-27-2012, 04:40 PM
So we only need a franchise tight end? Darn, if only we had Vernon Davis...

Kleenex sales in Houston would double.

noxiousdog
03-27-2012, 05:40 PM
You could franchise him for a year too. What is brees getting under that designation this year?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Ole Miss Texan
03-27-2012, 05:42 PM
You could franchise him for a year too. What is brees getting under that designation this year?

More than we should pay Schaub - I think like close to $16 million. It will probably be more next year.

badboy
03-27-2012, 05:54 PM
To play devil's advocate... The same can be said for runningback, wide receiver and any offensive linemen.Partially agree. We have had above avg RBs in this system but only Dommanick Davis and Myers have done so well. Yes, Tate should be fine. LT takes above average guy regardless of system and we will see how Butler does replacing Winston. I totally disagree with you on WR.

ChampionTexan
03-27-2012, 06:01 PM

More than we should pay Schaub - I think like close to $16 million. It will probably be more next year.

Brees was tagged with the "Exclusive" franchise tag which results in his one year salary being the average of the top 5 paid QB's for 2012. As of right now, I don't believe the exact number has been finalized. It will probably be between $16 & $17 Million.

The non-exclusive tag for a QB in 2012 was about $14.5 Million (not used by anyone). Most folks expect very little change in that number for 2013.

Ole Miss Texan
03-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Brees was tagged with the "Exclusive" franchise tag which results in his one year salary being the average of the top 5 paid QB's for 2012. As of right now, I don't believe the exact number has been finalized. It will probably be between $16 & $17 Million.

The non-exclusive tag for a QB in 2012 was about $14.5 Million (not used by anyone). Most folks expect very little change in that number for 2013.
Thanks Champ! I don't even really know what a longterm contract # for Schaub would look like. Maybe around $12M - $14M per year? 5 Year $70M? Could be more.... eek

Norg
03-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Our next QB will be 1st round pick in the draft 3 years from now or one of NE backup QB's like Mallet or something

Hopefully that does not happen tho hopefully schaub can win a SB or two and then retire a texan and have Yates waiting to replace him

thunderkyss
03-27-2012, 09:52 PM

He's a QB, I don't think 30 is a problem. If he were still trying to "make a name for himself" maybe, but he's got enough snap to be a starter in this league for at least another 3 or 4 years.

Rey
03-27-2012, 11:23 PM
Only thing I'd worry about with schaub is his physical capabilities and how he'd hold up as an older qb. He's had some injuries in the past. He had a long stretch of good health, but that stuff takes a toll on your body.

And now with this injury hell likely be even less mobile. If schaub is a starting qb and playing well close to or in his mid thirties it will be a a few levels below amazing IMO. Just simply from a health perspective.

Texaninlild
03-28-2012, 01:07 AM
Trade da Aint's for Brees in all the confusion and drunken disarray of Bourbon Street-They will never notice with Payton on his year long soul searching journey. :turtle:

welsh texan
03-28-2012, 05:17 AM
Th thing about him being 'the wrong side of 30' may not be an issue as a QB, but it certainly could be an issue when it comes to rehabbing from major injuries.

aussie_texan
03-28-2012, 09:00 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827eb4cc/article/texans-kubiak-will-limit-recovering-qb-schaub-during-otas

kubiack saying his going to be cautious with schaub come OTA

ckhouston
03-28-2012, 12:02 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827eb4cc/article/texans-kubiak-will-limit-recovering-qb-schaub-during-otas

"He's got a little hardware in his foot that he'll have to have removed here in a couple of weeks."

Until that happens they have no clue as to "if" the procedure was a complete success, and what the future will hold for Matt. Anyone saying he is going to be able to play next year or ever for that matter at this point just doesn't understand the injury.

thunderkyss
03-28-2012, 12:52 PM

Didn't he say that with Joppru, Mario (several times), Arian, & Aj (several times)?

I don't think it means what you think it means.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0t3o8F7P41qlh8c9.gif

ObsiWan
03-29-2012, 06:02 AM
Didn't he say that with Joppru, Mario (several times), Arian, & Aj (several times)?

I don't think it means what you think it means.
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0t3o8F7P41qlh8c9.gif

Kubiak said that with Foster too. He says that about all his nicked up kids.

nice Princess Bride reference :D

TheEastwood
03-29-2012, 07:14 AM
The wrong side of 30 thing usually means RBs not QBs. QBs can play well into their 30's. especially a guy like schaub in that being mobile is not really part of his game. Quick reads and smart decisions(apart from the one brain fart int a game) are more his forte. It's no coincidence that when he went out, sacks went up. But at the same time, if you can upgrade, you do.

He's a mediocre to good Qb. And that's all he'll ever be. If you find a franchise QB, go for it. But at the same time I know there's 15 other teams that wish they could have him.

I say keep him until someone else proves they're better.

badboy
03-29-2012, 06:17 PM
There is so little to chose from in any attempt to replace Schaub and his agent will be whispering that to him next offseason. Matt would be silly to sign early.

welsh texan
03-30-2012, 11:38 AM
There is so little to chose from in any attempt to replace Schaub and his agent will be whispering that to him next offseason. Matt would be silly to sign early.

Yep, I doubt the Texans sign Schaub before he's had chance to prove his fitness in competitive games, and I doubt Schaub would sign after that point. It just doesn't make sense for either side to do it.

I'll repeat as it seems to have been taken out of context, wrong side of 30 to be coming back from a major injury, not wrong side of 30 to be an effective, injury free QB.

welsh texan
01-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Just looking back over this thread I'm sure a few people have changed their mind by now (and there's nothing wrong with that).

I think TJ looks worse now than he did before putting a body of work on tape, and I doubt we'd be where we are right now had we gone with him as the starter.

I doubt there is anyone in this thread who can't point to the timing of Schaubs new contract as mitigation from their viewpoint, it was after all far too early to pull the trigger.

Also worth remembering that just because a Russel Wilson isn't getting the hype doesn't mean he's not available from the draft, and certainly this year had we taken Wilson in the first and skipped merci altogether, I really don't think we'd have missed him too much.

Not trying to be revisionist, just pointing out that the assumption is always that you cant draft a qb outside the top 10 and have him start. If the coaches see things they like and the guy is there for you, take him and rely on your ability to coach him into what you need. That's why Seattle went from shambles to playoffs in just one year.

gafftop
01-07-2013, 05:04 PM
OK, so Matt Schaub's contract needs renewing after next season. With the talent we now have and the youth of this team, the Texans will be in a tight spot signing a number of players to contracts over the next year or two.

With that said, does the emergence of TJ Yates as someone with a higher cieling than Schaub lead the Texans into a difficult decision.

Apart from simply, do you let Schaub go or keep him, there is the question of whether to trade him and get some picks in return this coming offseason, or do you prefer to sit Yates next season and let him learn before making him the full time starter.

I know I'm probably getting ahead of myself somewhat, but then again everyone was talking about trading Mario before we'd even seen Brooks Reed play so maybe this discussion is overdue!

I think we need to sit on Schaub's contract until the end of next season. He's going to be 32 by the end of the 2012 season, and probably won't fetch too much on the free agent market given his injury history. I don't think he will be very expensive to re-sign at that point compared to other QBs around the league. We should work to retain him, but after his foot injury it will all depend on how he plays next season if he does play at all.

Trading Mario might have meant we still had the right side of our O line and a couple of draft choices to boot. I still contend that keeping Mario for his last season knowing we could not keep him has hurt this team and could be the biggest mistake this FO has made.

The post by dutch was also the most reasonable answer. Why we extended when we did I have no clue. This is another move that brings about dead money and puts the team in cap hell.

thunderkyss
01-07-2013, 05:50 PM
I think TJ looks worse now than he did before putting a body of work on tape, and I doubt we'd be where we are right now had we gone with him as the starter.

I don't think we have to tear down Tj Yates to support Schaub.

I didn't think it was a mistake to extend Matt. If they saw enough to satisfy them that his foot was good to go, so be it. He came out looking pretty good early in the season so it looked to me that they were right. I still haven't seen or heard anything credible to make me believe Schaub is suffering from foot problems.

Schaub is efficient, he "can" make all the throws, he's smart & early in the season showed that he improved in taking care of the ball. We're paying a slight premium for a starting QB & that's what Matt has delivered, better than middle of the pack starting QB.

I would like someone more mobile. I would have waited to see big time play in the play-offs. But that's me.

76Texan
01-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Hey, I was l for Wilson and he was drafted quite a few spots after Posey.

I suggested Wilson and Keenum both to compete with Yates.
I thought both have better upside than Yates, besides being short, obviously, LOL.

I didn't mind trading Yates for whatever and keep both of those two guys.