PDA

View Full Version : Texans cut WR Mason

srrono
12-12-2011, 02:26 PM
ProFootballWkly Pro Football Weekly
RT @RavensInsider: Derrick Mason cut by Texans today, according to a league source.

GlassHalfFull
12-12-2011, 02:28 PM
RT @RavensInsider: Derrick Mason cut by Texans today, according to a league source.

I wonder if they are making room for a new Olineman.

Buffi2
12-12-2011, 02:29 PM

That is an idea whose time came a week or two ago. He had absolutely no redeeming qualities that I could see. Did he even catch 5 passes the entire time he was with us? I don't think so. Best of luck to him. He might fit in somewhere but here wasn't it.

Cjeremy635
12-12-2011, 02:30 PM

Not too surprising. He missed 2 passes yesterday and really didn't make a great attempt at trying to catch either of them, IMHO. I think he has been a great "cheerleader" for Yates these past couple of weeks, as has been seen in the Sound FX videos, but he isn't contributing on the field where it counts.

Trail.Blazr
12-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Yes! The roster just got better!

JWarren14
12-12-2011, 02:38 PM
What does that mean about the draft pick we traded for him?

BullNation4Life
12-12-2011, 02:40 PM
I said it then and I say it now...

Should have trade for Lloyd when they had the chance.....

infantrycak
12-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Mason didn't have enough receptions for the Texans to have to give up a draft pick for him.

DX-TEX
12-12-2011, 02:42 PM

What draft pick? We traded him for pretty much nothing.

Naiirb
12-12-2011, 02:43 PM

Mason had to catch 30 or something balls for us to give our 7th round pick to the Jets.

jaayteetx
12-12-2011, 02:45 PM
A Jeff Maehl spotting maybe?

JWarren14
12-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Mason had to catch 30 or something balls for us to give our 7th round pick to the Jets.

I knew there was a reception number in there somewhere I just wasn't sure what the number was. Good deal, the 7th rounder is still ours!

Errant Hothy
12-12-2011, 02:48 PM

O-line depth till Brisiel gets healthy makes more sense.

Texn4life
12-12-2011, 02:50 PM
We can't go into the Carolina game with 3 healthy receivers...... So either they think AJ will be ready to play or we'll sign someone to the active roster.

Rey
12-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Mason was playing some...

I guess we will see BJ out there more...

nero THE zero
12-12-2011, 02:52 PM

They'll likely start activating Gardner on game day.

Though, I suppose they could be promoting Barbieri

jaayteetx
12-12-2011, 02:53 PM

I didn't even know he was injured till now, crap. Can we make it through just one game w/o an injury?

El Tejano
12-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Time for Kubiak to kick Trindon Holliday in the nuts again.

Seasick Sailor
12-12-2011, 03:23 PM
http://www.sectalk.com/boards/images/imported/2011/02/WellBye-1.jpg

Cjeremy635
12-12-2011, 03:37 PM

That's what Kubiak just said in the press conference. He said him or Trindon. He said we have to have that 4th receiver spot be able to contribute on special teams. Said McMannis will be out for a while due to an ankle injury that happened yesterday. Said Caldwell will step up for Brisiel. Just an FYI.

ThaJokaa
12-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Wasn't doin **** anyways

Grams
12-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Wasn't doin **** anyways

But dropping balls thrown his way.

IDEXAN
12-12-2011, 03:51 PM
The Texans placed wide receiver Derrick Mason on waivers today.

Mason, 37, was signed during the season. There’s a good chance the team will replace him on the roster with wide receiver Jeff Maehl, a rookie out of Oregon who is on the practice squad.

Mason appeared in seven games for the Texans, catching six passes for 55 yards.
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2011/12/texans-waive-veteran-receiver-mason/
Chrons McClain thinks they might replace him with the rookie on the PS ?

ThaJokaa
12-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Jeff Meahl time baby!

The Pencil Neck
12-12-2011, 03:58 PM
The Texans placed wide receiver Derrick Mason on waivers today.

Mason, 37, was signed during the season. There’s a good chance the team will replace him on the roster with wide receiver Jeff Maehl, a rookie out of Oregon who is on the practice squad.

Mason appeared in seven games for the Texans, catching six passes for 55 yards.
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2011/12/texans-waive-veteran-receiver-mason/
Chrons McClain thinks they might replace him with the rookie on the PS ?

Maehl could be a very good fit for this offense but he didn't show too much in preseason.

OTOH, TJ and Maehl might have gotten a lot of work together. They might have some chemistry.

Bryant Johnson is the guy that's been bothering me. Have we thrown more than one or two passes his way all season? At least they were throwing at Mason... even though he wasn't catching much of anything.

michaelm
12-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Maehl could be a very good fit for this offense but he didn't show too much in preseason.

OTOH, TJ and Maehl might have gotten a lot of work together. They might have some chemistry.

Bryant Johnson is the guy that's been bothering me. Have we thrown more than one or two passes his way all season? At least they were throwing at Mason... even though he wasn't catching much of anything.

When we heard the news on the radio, I told my buddy that Maehl will probably have a 100 yard game by the end of the season. I figure that's just the kind of year this team is having...

dtran04
12-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Maybe Holliday can start returning kicks b/c it was awful out there. Demps did a lil better than McManis.

badboy
12-12-2011, 04:36 PM
We can't go into the Carolina game with 3 healthy receivers...... So either they think AJ will be ready to play or we'll sign someone to the active roster.It was enough against the ***** cats. :kitten:

GP
12-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Kickoff duties and WR contribution.

I'll take Jeff Maehl, please.

Rey
12-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Can Mahael return kicks?

I'd like to have him as a guy you could possibly throw out there on offense, but I don't think I've seen him return kicks.

I'm actually hoping it's holiday. He looked a lot more confident in the pre-season than he looked last year. When he was brought up he really didn't get a chance to return any.

I'd like to see what the young man can do.

GP
12-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Can Mahael return kicks?

I'd like to have him as a guy you could possibly throw out there on offense, but I don't think I've seen him return kicks.

I'm actually hoping it's holiday. He looked a lot more confident in the pre-season than he looked last year. When he was brought up he really didn't get a chance to return any.

I'll take Maehl's hands over Holliday's hands.

That's the factor that I think puts one above the other. In what little action we have seen Holliday, and I know it's mostly camp and preseason, Holliday is a little prone to fumbling.

I like the WR skills of Maehl. We need that out there.

TheIronDuke
12-12-2011, 04:52 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Manning return kicks again.

Peace out Mason.

badboy
12-12-2011, 04:53 PM
It was enough against the ***** cats. :kitten:Dang I forgot kitty when type with a P means something else. At least I did not type ****.

GP
12-12-2011, 04:55 PM
My only concern, and it's minor, is a team snatching up Mason to learn things about us.

CloakNNNdagger
12-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Kickoff duties and WR contribution.

I'll take Jeff Maehl, please.

Can Mahael return kicks?

Maehl has not kick or punt returned since HS.:kitten:

VTexan
12-12-2011, 05:22 PM
I'll take some speed.

CloakNNNdagger
12-12-2011, 05:28 PM
I'll take some speed.

Maehl ran 40 in 4.55........Weighs 178 at 6'

Holliday ran 40 in 4.21......Weighs 175 at 5'5"

Rey
12-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Tis the season right...

How can you not go with someone named "Holiday"....

Texn4life
12-12-2011, 06:30 PM
It was enough against the ***** cats. :kitten:

Sorry I'm not understanding your derogatory slang right now...... Which cats are you talking about? I don't remember 1 time this year we've had only 3 healthy receivers activated. Feel free to fill me in though.

kiwitexansfan
12-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Trindon Holiday please, just once I would like to see him hit a seam and BLAM, time travel.

drs23
12-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Maehl ran 40 in 4.55........Weighs 178 at 6'

Holliday ran 40 in 4.21......Weighs 175 at 5'5"

You're on top of it again Doc. Like always.

MSR

ThaJokaa
12-12-2011, 08:01 PM
A WR with hands or no hands?

GP
12-12-2011, 08:13 PM
I'll take some speed.

Just makes the ball bounce further when he gets hit.

I'll take SURE HANDS at this stage of the season. Plus, Maehl has a full 7 inches of height on Holliday.

This team needs to start downing the ball and taking possession at the 20, and not the 15 or 10. We have an offense, no need to play the odds of running one back for a TD vs. starting at our 10 or 15...or fumbling it on the return.

I'm in "play it smart" mode.

Texn4life
12-12-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm kind of neutral on this one. Holliday doesn't get me excited at all as a receiving option, but he looked decent on kick returns during the Minnesota pre-season game. Maehl didn't return for us at all so I'm not sure what he'll bring to the table in that aspect. I'd probably rather have Demps return for us and sign Maehl to be the 4th WR till AJ comes back. Holliday lined up at WR just doesn't do it for me. Sad to say because I had high hopes for him when we drafted him.

The Pencil Neck
12-12-2011, 09:56 PM
But we've got 2 roster spots opening up, right? One for Mason and one for McManis.

So a WR and a DB? Maehl and Williams?

Rey
12-12-2011, 10:00 PM
If maehl is brought up he likely doesn't see the field. Maybe some kick coverage but I doubt even that.

I think holiday has a better chance at contributing and actually making an impact.

I don't have a problem with either, but prefer trindon.

Rey
12-12-2011, 10:01 PM
But we've got 2 roster spots opening up, right? One for Mason and one for McManis.

What about briesel? Is he coming back ?

The Pencil Neck
12-12-2011, 11:32 PM
Briesel is coming back for the playoffs.

So we've got two open spots.

ObsiWan
12-13-2011, 02:56 AM

Where did you (or anyone) see that McManis is going on IR? There's nothing about that on the Texans site....?

PHAROAH
12-13-2011, 07:46 AM
Man thank god we should have called Randy Moss before signing Derrick Mason that guy was really washed up the jets let him go with the quickness.

Kthx
12-13-2011, 07:51 AM
Hiring Derrick Mason did what it was supposed to do, It made JJones wake the hell up for a few games anyways. Besides, I am sure he taught some of our young receivers and our young QB quite a bit of stuff while he was here, I mean at his age I am sure he knew his main role was going to be the guy with experience who can show some young guys the ropes. Anyways, I don't have anything bad to say about the guy, he came here and made a few catches and probably did some behind the scenes stuff that helped us out, good luck in the future to him.

VTexan
12-13-2011, 10:00 AM
If maehl is brought up he likely doesn't see the field. Maybe some kick coverage but I doubt even that.

I think holiday has a better chance at contributing and actually making an impact.

I don't have a problem with either, but prefer trindon.

My view points exactly. You could also throw him in on a sweep/reverse play on offense. He run quite a few running plays in college.

Señor Stan
12-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Hiring Derrick Mason did what it was supposed to do, It made JJones wake the hell up for a few games anyways. Besides, I am sure he taught some of our young receivers and our young QB quite a bit of stuff while he was here, I mean at his age I am sure he knew his main role was going to be the guy with experience who can show some young guys the ropes. Anyways, I don't have anything bad to say about the guy, he came here and made a few catches and probably did some behind the scenes stuff that helped us out, good luck in the future to him.

Plus he got a cool T-Shirt and cap. He's got that goin' for him.

The Pencil Neck
12-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Where did you (or anyone) see that McManis is going on IR? There's nothing about that on the Texans site....?

Listen to the Injury podcast. Drew Daugherty says on there that McManis is gone for the season. From that, I infer he's going on IR.

EDIT: Although Scurfield says he might return. So... who knows?

bah007
12-13-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm disappointed in McManis. I was really high on him coming out of college and I loved it when we drafted him.

Now he is finally getting some opportunities and he is not making the most of them. At this point, he's gonna have to work just to make the roster next year.

Hookem Horns
12-13-2011, 08:44 PM
OK I am getting old. I looked for this thread before posting this.

Texn4life
12-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Welcome to the Big Show Jeff! Those 2 things attached to the end of your arms are called hands. Show Derrick Mason how you're supposed to use them.

Texan_Bill
12-13-2011, 08:55 PM
http://www.sectalk.com/boards/images/imported/2011/02/WellBye-1.jpg

I thought this was funny!! Not because I disrespect Mason. Dude has had a nice career, but Thanks Derrick, we need to make a roster move... You understand, you've been around a while.

but "BYE"

OK I am getting old. I looked for this thread before posting this.

Yessir!!! You are getting old. Your site is blowing up. It's to the point where I'm seeing so many new members.... Congrats to you for forming, maintaining and keeping the best "unofficial" messarge board ever!!!

I hope the nOObs appreciate!!

Rey
12-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Looks like it will be mahael. I'm excited to see what the kid can do.