PDA

View Full Version : Joel Dreessen

Rey
12-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Dreesen....Leading TD grabber for us this year.

What do you guys think his future is with the team?

This is the last year of his contract I believe. UFA next year...

Do we bring him back? If so, what is a fair contract for him?

I fear that some team is going to give him a nice contract that we can't realistically afford to match....But he is super valuable as the second TE...

What say you on this topic?

********Mods can one of you fix the Title?????

Pollardized
12-12-2011, 12:17 PM

I fear that some team is going to give him a nice contract that we can't realistically afford to match....But he is super valuable as the second TE...

Who is JOE Dreesen? Is he the "NEXT MAN UP?" :dancer:

Yankee_In_TX
12-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Who? :P

I think he'll be back - I don't think he has shown enough that another team will break the bank to make him an every down TE.

Texecutioner
12-12-2011, 12:22 PM
He is always like that forgotten man that teams and fans forget about that has a big play or gets an important TD. He does nothing flashy, but just seems to do his job. He's got to be the most unappreciated guy on the Texans over the last few years. Not that he's disrespected or anything, but we always think of Daniels and question where Thor is. Dressen has been a reliable play maker for this team for quite some time now. Kudos to him on another important TD yesterday.

Rey
12-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah...

Rag on me for my typo...:rolleyes: LOL....

eriadoc
12-12-2011, 12:27 PM
He has a knack for making plays. He's never going to be Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzales, but you need guys like him on your team. I love the way he goes after the ball. He fights for the ball.

Rey
12-12-2011, 12:30 PM
He is always like that forgotten man that teams and fans forget about that has a big play or gets an important TD. He does nothing flashy, but just seems to do his job. He's got to be the most unappreciated guy on the Texans over the last few years. Not that he's disrespected or anything, but we always think of Daniels and question where Thor is. Dressen has been a reliable play maker for this team for quite some time now. Kudos to him on another important TD yesterday.

Yep...

The guy just shows up, works and makes plays when his number is called...
He's a pretty good blocker too..

Ole Miss Texan
12-12-2011, 12:32 PM
I think re-signs with the Texans. I just have a feeling he likes the players and coaches on this team and realizes that he gets more opportunity here than he likely would elsewhere. This is a great system for him to be in and get catches/touchdowns. Plus we're really fickin' good now.

kiwitexansfan
12-12-2011, 12:33 PM
I think we let him go for more money than we can offer and we go next man up.

Remember we have some big names coming up for contract renewal.

Rey
12-12-2011, 12:33 PM
I think re-signs with the Texans. I just have a feeling he likes the players and coaches on this team and realizes that he gets more opportunity here than he likely would elsewhere. This is a great system for him to be in and get catches/touchdowns. Plus we're really fickin' good now.

How much do you think is a fair contract for him?

I think he's making about 900,000 right now...

IDEXAN
12-12-2011, 12:41 PM
From Dreesens viewpoint probably the best thing about yesterdays win was that
Kubiak is now assured of getting a new, multi-year contract and the smallish TE Dreesen like OD is a custom fit for the Texans, and he will most likely not find a better opportunity elsewhere in next years NFL free agency.

Playoffs
12-12-2011, 12:49 PM
You can edit it.

Edit, Go Advanced .... edit the title in the title box.

Joel Dreessen. ;)

Errant Hothy
12-12-2011, 12:50 PM
From Dreesens viewpoint probably the best thing about yesterdays win was that
Kubiak is now assured of getting a new, multi-year contract and the smallish TE Dreesen like OD is a custom fit for the Texans, and he will most likely not find a better opportunity elsewhere in next years NFL free agency.

Is 6'4" considered small for an NFL TE? Not all of them are freaks like Gronk.

Dressen beating Hill to make the team, and Graham for playing time should not be discounted. Add to that his contributions on the field and some team will at least look at him as a possible signing.

DexmanC
12-12-2011, 12:50 PM

He's the "Bill Speiers" of the Texans.

Texaninlild
12-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Can we fix the title or go draft a 'Joe' Dreesen?

Texn4life
12-12-2011, 12:55 PM
I wouldn't say that he's start for most teams in this league, but he could spot start for every team in the league. Its all gonna depend on the market that's out there for him. Let's just hope there isn't a team under the cap by a large amount that's willing to throw out starter money for him. I wouldn't be upset with him for taking a better offer than what we'll be able to pay for him.

TexanSam
12-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Did he go back out on the field after his injury?

Speedy
12-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Did he go back out on the field after his injury?

He was in on the game winning PAT.

El Tejano
12-12-2011, 02:31 PM
He's the new Chris Carter....all he does is catch Touchdowns!

Wolf6151
12-12-2011, 02:35 PM
I think we'll make an offer to Dreesen but I think someone else will make a bigger offer and we'll allow him to walk in FA, I wish him the best. I think we'll move on with Graham and finally get to see what he's got.

BigBull17
12-12-2011, 02:44 PM
I think it is very important to retain Dreesen. He is such a natural fit in our offense.

Dutchrudder
12-12-2011, 03:11 PM
I think he's important to keep at the right price. For comparison, here's a list of TE base salaries for 2011:

Kellen Winslow at Tight End $8,290,000
Owen Daniels at Tight End $6,500,000
Tony Gonzalez at Tight End $5,750,000
Antonio Gates at Tight End $5,200,000
Vernon Davis at Tight End $4,708,000
Dallas Clark at Tight End $4,200,000
Chris Cooley at Tight End $3,700,000
Jason Witten at Tight End $3,391,000
Heath Miller at Tight End $3,386,000
Visanthe Shiancoe at Tight End $3,100,000
Jeremy Shockey at Tight End $3,000,000
Jim Kleinsasser at Tight End $3,000,000
Benjamin Watson at Tight End $2,420,000
Anthony Fasano at Tight End $1,900,000
Tony Scheffler at Tight End $1,550,000
Daniel Fells at Tight End $1,500,000
Brent Celek at Tight End $1,215,000
Jermichael Finley at Tight End $1,200,000
Scott Chandler at Tight End $1,200,000
Will Heller at Tight End $1,100,000
Bo Scaife at Tight End $1,000,000
Matt Spaeth at Tight End $1,000,000
Billy Bajema at Tight End $985,000
Mike Leach at Tight End $975,000
Dustin Keller at Tight End $927,500

http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/tight-end/

Signing bonuses aside, there is a general progression of talent to money in this list. It's not exact, but you can see that the better TE's are paid well with a few notable exceptions. Jimmy Graham and Ron Gronkowski are still on rookie contracts, but will likely get nice deals in the next couple years.

The question is, which of the higher paid TEs would you say are better than Dreessen, and where would you slot Dreessen given those salaries? I don't think Joel cracks the top 10 (at least not with OD still around), but I could definitely see him fitting in the 11-15 area. He's better than Shockey IMO, but I don't think he's worth 3 million as a #2 TE. I think fair value for what he brings to this team would be somewhere around 2 million a year over 3-4 years. He's 29 and will be 30 by next year's training camp, but I don't think he has had any major injuries that would bring his health into the equation.

To me, the real value of Dreessen is that he can step in for OD if he gets injured again. I don't think Joel is as explosive as OD, but he has reliable hands and makes some big catches when needed. He's not a go-to guy that you throw to 8-12 times a game, but he makes the most of the 4 targets he gets. I like that about him and I think he could be another team's #1 TE if given the chance, but I don't think he will get it. If I was Rick Smith, I would offer him something in the neighborhood of 8 million over 4 years with 4 million guaranteed + 1 mill signing bonus (assuming we are pinching pennies to sign other guys). Average of 2.25 million a year seems about right to me.

gary
12-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Would you keep him or pay Foster/Williams with the extra money?

Rey
12-12-2011, 04:55 PM
I think we'll make an offer to Dreesen but I think someone else will make a bigger offer and we'll allow him to walk in FA, I wish him the best. I think we'll move on with Graham and finally get to see what he's got.

I hope not...

Not that I don't like Grahm, but Dreesen is a good role player...

welsh texan
12-12-2011, 05:30 PM
I think some good players will walk over the next few years. With Kubes coaching the O and Wade coaching the D those guys who are role players will rise in percieved value.

Texans need to value Dreessen based on his own use to the team and trust in Graham/perhaps move Casey back to TE if that value doesn't match what the market offers him.

We've got waay too many big names coming up for renewal over the next year or 2 to be overpaying role players no matter how well they fit the system.

badboy
12-12-2011, 05:50 PM

********Mods can one of you fix the Title?????Dreesen is GONE, I tell you GONE! and it is all your fault Rey. This off season you are gonna look back to this thread and realize you drove Joe away by leaving the L off. How could you? I know I should just leave you the "L" alone but I just cannot. Aren't you a true Texans fan? Can you not just slow the fingers down a bit? Can you not remember the song "I want a man with slow hands?"

Shame on you and BTW we are no longer friends. .well maybe that is just a bit too far. We can be friends but you have to watch out for the language Nazi. They are every where. LOL or just O to you.

TejasTom
12-12-2011, 08:34 PM
My first experience with Dreessen wasn't that great. I took my grandson to one the morning practices and lots of players came around and signed autographs. Joel signed about three and told everyone else "come back tonight"

None of the other players brushed off the kids.

But have to say he won me back last year. He would talk to the media after a loss and was genuinely upset. Some players talk about a loss like I would talk about a Kansas City loss. No emotion at all.

So I hope we keep him.

Kimmy
12-12-2011, 11:02 PM
He did Football 101 with the Battle Red Ladies last year, had just had a little boy, was showing everyone pictures and could not have been more friendly.

Having kids changes your perspective, I bet he wouldn't do that again.

My first experience with Dreessen wasn't that great. I took my grandson to one the morning practices and lots of players came around and signed autographs. Joel signed about three and told everyone else "come back tonight"

None of the other players brushed off the kids.

But have to say he won me back last year. He would talk to the media after a loss and was genuinely upset. Some players talk about a loss like I would talk about a Kansas City loss. No emotion at all.

So I hope we keep him.

Playoffs
12-12-2011, 11:28 PM
Dreesen is GONE, I tell you GONE! and it is all your fault Rey...
Dreesen never was a Texan ..... Dreessen, on the other hand, is da man. ;)

Lucky
12-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Done. Joel deserves his name spelled correctly. Just another of the many unsung heroes on this team.

Rey
12-12-2011, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the name fix.

And bb..... I apologize in advance!!!!

The Pencil Neck
12-13-2011, 12:34 AM
Dreesen never was a Texan ..... Dresseen, on the other hand, is da man. ;)

But, how about Dreessen?

edo783
12-13-2011, 01:36 AM
IMO, he will be back. too good to let go.

beerlover
12-13-2011, 02:07 AM
If Texans can manage to apropriate around 13mil over next four years to retain his services then Joel would probably accept a home town discount. If not the outcome will turn out just like Leach. Therefore I would draft another TE & lets see what Graham can do? It did scare me when he drove his knee into the turf, that looked painful, bet his knee is swollen, black & blue. I can't blame a professional for making his market value given associated risks.

Rey
12-13-2011, 06:30 AM
I think he's important to keep at the right price. For comparison, here's a list of TE base salaries for 2011:

http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/tight-end/

Signing bonuses aside, there is a general progression of talent to money in this list. It's not exact, but you can see that the better TE's are paid well with a few notable exceptions. Jimmy Graham and Ron Gronkowski are still on rookie contracts, but will likely get nice deals in the next couple years.

The question is, which of the higher paid TEs would you say are better than Dreessen, and where would you slot Dreessen given those salaries? I don't think Joel cracks the top 10 (at least not with OD still around), but I could definitely see him fitting in the 11-15 area. He's better than Shockey IMO, but I don't think he's worth 3 million as a #2 TE. I think fair value for what he brings to this team would be somewhere around 2 million a year over 3-4 years. He's 29 and will be 30 by next year's training camp, but I don't think he has had any major injuries that would bring his health into the equation.

To me, the real value of Dreessen is that he can step in for OD if he gets injured again. I don't think Joel is as explosive as OD, but he has reliable hands and makes some big catches when needed. He's not a go-to guy that you throw to 8-12 times a game, but he makes the most of the 4 targets he gets. I like that about him and I think he could be another team's #1 TE if given the chance, but I don't think he will get it. If I was Rick Smith, I would offer him something in the neighborhood of 8 million over 4 years with 4 million guaranteed + 1 mill signing bonus (assuming we are pinching pennies to sign other guys). Average of 2.25 million a year seems about right to me.

Good post.

Seems like we should be able to keep him no problem. He has been big for us in the redone this year and he's made some big plays.

I think we have to find a way to bring him back.

Pay the man Rick!

Rey
12-13-2011, 06:36 AM
If Texans can manage to apropriate around 13mil over next four years to retain his services then Joel would probably accept a home town discount. If not the outcome will turn out just like Leach. Therefore I would draft another TE & lets see what Graham can do? It did scare me when he drove his knee into the turf, that looked painful, bet his knee is swollen, black & blue. I can't blame a professional for making his market value given associated risks.

I think dreessen sees the field a little more than leach did though. I dunno, you bring up a good point too.

PHAROAH
12-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Bring him back at a nice price.

Dutchrudder
12-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Good post.

Seems like we should be able to keep him no problem. He has been big for us in the redone this year and he's made some big plays.

I think we have to find a way to bring him back.

Pay the man Rick!

Keeping him will likely depend on what they do with Mario and Arian. We aren't getting much room to work with next year unless the cap increases, so signing both of those guys will preclude us from keeping Dreessen and possibly Myers too. I think we're going to see Mario walk, Jacoby cut, re-sign Dreessen Myers & Rackers and a new contract for Foster. Then use draft picks to fill-in the gaps.

El Tejano
12-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Yall know he has a Chris Berman nickname right? Joel "Salad" Dreessen!

Rey
12-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Keeping him will likely depend on what they do with Mario and Arian. We aren't getting much room to work with next year unless the cap increases, so signing both of those guys will preclude us from keeping Dreessen and possibly Myers too. I think we're going to see Mario walk, Jacoby cut, re-sign Dreessen Myers & Rackers and a new contract for Foster. Then use draft picks to fill-in the gaps.

If it comes down to Mario or Dreessen (which I don't think it will) I think we re-sign Mario (which I think we will do anyways).