PDA

View Full Version : So at the half what were you thinking?

Hervoyel
12-11-2011, 07:16 PM
I'd accepted that this was probably going to be a loss and I was good with that. I still saw good things but the entire team seemed out of sync to me and I'd been thinking "They'll lose at least one of the two games against Atlanta and Cincinnati". Mostly I was telling myself "Well, the biggest thing TJ is missing is game reps so this is valuable experience if nothing else"

Then he went and took the team on a fourth quarter game winning drive.

This was so important and not because it clinched the division. The offense has been saying all the right things since TJ took the reigns and I have no doubt that they all have his back completely but this is different. I think that in order to win in the playoffs the rest of the offense not only has to be willing to believe in him. They have to genuinely believe in him. Pulling this game out at the end with a drive like that is exactly what his teammates needed to see out of TJ. He's got three more weeks to get reps and collect as much experience as he can before the playoffs get here but today he engineered a game winning fourth quarter drive. QB's are measured by these things and TJ did it. The running game didn't carry us down the field. The defense did their part but they didn't win it either. TJ Yates' arm and his decisions took us down the field and won this game in the closing seconds. On a day when nothing seemed to want to go right he took the Texans on a game winning drive. There's no way to put a price on that in our current situation. This game, for all the mistakes we made couldn't have gone any better for us.

10 wins and counting. We're good. We're finally good and we're getting better!

Malloy
12-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Saints, please win :)

drs23
12-11-2011, 07:21 PM
I'd accepted that this was probably going to be a loss and I was good with that. I still saw good things but the entire team seemed out of sync to me and I'd been thinking "They'll lose at least one of the two games against Atlanta and Cincinnati". Mostly I was telling myself "Well, the biggest thing TJ is missing is game reps so this is valuable experience if nothing else"

Then he went and took the team on a fourth quarter game winning drive.

This was so important and not because it clinched the division. The offense has been saying all the right things since TJ took the reigns and I have no doubt that they all have his back completely but this is different. I think that in order to win in the playoffs the rest of the offense not only has to be willing to believe in him. They have to genuinely believe in him. Pulling this game out at the end with a drive like that is exactly what his teammates needed to see out of TJ. He's got three more weeks to get reps and collect as much experience as he can before the playoffs get here but today he engineered a game winning fourth quarter drive. QB's are measured by these things and TJ did it. The running game didn't carry us down the field. The defense did their part but they didn't win it either. TJ Yates' arm and his decisions took us down the field and won this game in the closing seconds. On a day when nothing seemed to want to go right he took the Texans on a game winning drive. There's no way to put a price on that in our current situation. This game, for all the mistakes we made couldn't have gone any better for us.

10 wins and counting. We're good. We're finally good and we're getting better!

TJ Yates time. Don't sweat the small stuff Herv. :)

fiasco west
12-11-2011, 07:22 PM
It's just one half. If Tate never fumbles the ball we are probably leading right now.

I still thought we were in it. We just needed a shot of momentum, Barwin gave us that.

Chance_C
12-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Awesome ain't it Herv! TJ gained confidence in himself and his teammates did as well! Great job TJ and crew!

dc_txtech
12-11-2011, 07:29 PM
I was thinking that we were going to get the opportunity to see what our young QB is really made of.

GP
12-11-2011, 07:31 PM
1. Please let the Saints win and keep the Titans at a 2-game deficit to us.

2. I have seen Kubiak get his team snapped out of a funk at halftime, so there's still a shot. We just need a big play to go our way and get momentum.

3. Big play happened (Barwin knocking the ball loose from Dalton's hand), and we took something like 1:52 off the clock to get a TD from that big play.

But when the Bengals continued to put points on the board, I thought it would be a long shot for us to still win it.

Oddly, though, I had a weird feeling Yates would make history today. I couldn't describe it when the game was winding down into the 4th quarter. But it seemed like it was destiny. When Yates pulled the ball down and got the first down by running like 10 or 15 yards up the middle, I knew it was going to happen. Knew it in my bones.

But at halftime, I wasn't rattled. I figured the vets on the Texans would step up and make plays. And Yates went nuts at the end of the game. Amazing.

Buffi2
12-11-2011, 07:31 PM
I figured we would probably lose but was ok with it. Then the second half happened.

This was Yates' official, "I am a real NFL QB not a 3rd string back up and don't call me that anymore." statement.

In the second half, this team didn't just do well for a team led by a rookie; this team did an outstanding job on all sides of the ball. Ryans was correct when he said if you google team you find the Texans.

I learned a lesson - I won't count this team out until the fat lady sings.:turtle:

Sway
12-11-2011, 07:36 PM
We didn't show up; expected the same ole Bengals team we've killed in years past, and are blowing it. Upset that Rackers missed an easy FG. Felt Like the D needed to play with more intensity and stop missing tackles. O needed to complete passes; not that TJ needed to be more accurate, but the receivers needed to be more attuned to what was going up there. A few balls were off, I know- but there were a few that shouldve been caught. I thought well, if we have to lose a game now in order to get our motivation back for the playoffs, then I guess it works...but I was more than upset about our play on all sides of the ball at that point. ( I knew an INT was going to happen eventually but the fumbles, cmon!)

steelbtexan
12-11-2011, 07:52 PM
I thought that if they stopped turning the ball over they could come back and win.

What worried me was the missed FG and the clock snafu that allowed the Bengals to get that FG at the end of the 1st half. I also wondered if they could overcome the Tate fumble.

Should of known better, the power and poise of TJ rights all wrongs.

ESAD2-14
12-11-2011, 07:54 PM
I was thinking they needed to go in at halftime and get their shit together, they did.

Rey
12-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Thought we had a chance, just needed to keep grinding.

thunderkyss
12-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Honestly at half-time I was thinking, "We got them right where we want them."

I didn't start losing faith, till about the middle of the fourth.

EVOLVIST
12-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Well, at the half I was really thinking about taking a leak.

But at the 11:35 mark in the 4th quarter I posted the following to the gameday thread, Post# 917:

Man, a lot of you guys are friggin' defeatists. 11 minutes to go in the 4th quarter in a close game? Sure, it's uphill...but damn!

There was a lot...and I mean A LOT of folks packing it in and hanging a loss on this one. I'm not trying to diss on anyone, but man, the game isn't over until the clock shows 0:00.

Alvination
12-11-2011, 08:05 PM
I was thinking that this team has been special all year and that this game is another chance to prove that. And if they don't win I will just use the 3rd string QB excuse for a week to soften the blow.

TheMatrix31
12-11-2011, 08:07 PM
I was thinking that we'll get to see our boys tested, and if we lost then at least we would very coming home with (hopefully) a chance to clinch at home.

We passed the test this week. On to the next one.

thegr8fan
12-11-2011, 08:07 PM
I thought, you can't turn the ball over and give ANYONE 10 pts off your turnovers and win ballgames in the NFL. The Texans were going to lose, but was OK with it as long as the Titans lost also. Basically, our win streak was over, but our playoff hopes were alive but I was (trying real hard) OK with that.

When the second half started and they got a fumble, I thought we had a small chance to come back. That game was emotionally draining and I was exhausted.

But best of all I am truly on the 'Cinderella Team' bandwagon now. I think this team can only limit itself from here on out.

TexanSam
12-11-2011, 08:08 PM
At the half, I thought we had a chance since our team doesn't give up. But I was definitely worried about losing the game since the Tacks were keeping up with the Saints. If we lost and they won, I thought the road was going to get a lot hard to win the division. Especially with Carolina beating (at that time) the Falcons. Next weeks game was going to be a huge one (still is).

IlliniJen
12-11-2011, 08:11 PM
I thought: "Let's see what type of adjustments the team makes." I guess they made the kind that wins.

badboy
12-11-2011, 08:16 PM
We need adjustments from Kubiak & Wade.

TheDrifter
12-11-2011, 08:16 PM
I was thinking...we're going to lose this one. Things aren't going our way, we aren't playing our best and that kills you on the road against any decent opponent.

But, that there was no real chance the Saints would actually lose, so at least we stay two up on the Titans.

The Pencil Neck
12-11-2011, 08:26 PM
I had prepared myself to lose.

I felt really good with how the offense had looked with Yates, even with his pick. He'd put together a great drive that ended in that damned fumble by Tate.

Our defense had held the Bengals to FGs so I thought we had a chance. But I didn't think it was a very good one.

:)

Vinny
12-11-2011, 08:38 PM
In all seriousness, I figured we would score early in the third and it would be a close game going forward. We blew two scoring chances early so I figured we'd get in the end zone. Bengals play tough nosed football though...gotta give them some props. Good young team, but not as good as this one. Not today.

DocBar
12-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Count me in the "this is gonna be a loss" crowd, but I was really wanting to see what kind of adjustments we would make and praying we didn't have an injury. Once Barwin got his sack/strip, I was right back in it. It was great to see the team put together a fantastic second half. I can't wait til my champion gear gets delivered. Merry Christmas to Texans Nation!!!:whip:

santo
12-11-2011, 08:58 PM
I kept getting this feeling that the Texans were still going to win, even when the Bengals got their second turnover. I told my wife at half time that all the Texans needed to do was win the second half 17-3 and they win the game.

:gotexans1

ziggy29
12-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Honestly? My first thought was "Geaux Saints!"

But beyond that I wanted to see whether this team was for real in terms of hanging in there and fighting until the final gun, that they weren't going to quit.

Even if they lost -- and especially if the Saints won -- I would have been reasonably OK if they scrapped to the end and fell short.

This isn't the "same old Texans." This team finds ways to win, not ways to lose. And they are now playing the full 60 minutes. The word "resilient" is starting to become cliche and overused with this team, but it fits and I don't know a better word to convey the idea. This may be the most resilient bunch I've ever seen in NFL football, and for me that goes back to the mid-1970s.

TexCanada
12-11-2011, 09:01 PM
I was thinking about the costly mistakes that we had made up to that point. I was also thinking it wasn't very likely that we would come back and win. I hadn't given up yet though. I thought it was over when we didn't convert that 4th down in the 4th quarter.

jaayteetx
12-11-2011, 09:36 PM
I was thinking, "this is why they play two halves Boomer Esiason".

Double Barrel
12-11-2011, 09:38 PM
I hoped for a miracle, but was preparing for a loss. As long as the Saints won and kept the Titans two games behind us, I was okay with it. The team looked flat in the first half, so I just figured it was the jitters and not our day. Get ready for the Panthers and win our first division championship at home.

Experiencing that whole game with my son was awesome. He was born the same year as the Texans, so he's never felt the fun and optimism of having a team go to the playoffs. And with three weeks of regular season to enjoy it, this is going to be a blast. We were dancing and hugging at the end of this game. It was pure joy.

dream_team
12-11-2011, 09:41 PM
I knew the game was no where close to over, but I was preparing myself mentally for a loss.

I was mostly happy with what I was seeing. I knew the Texans were beating themselves, and not the Bengals beating them. Of course I wasn't happy to see that, but that stuff is at least correctable.

The only thing that really bothered me in the 1st half was the failure to stop the run. Good to see some adjustments were made and they really shut down the Bengals rushing in the 2nd half.

Giant Tiger
12-11-2011, 10:06 PM
I was mad, there was no way I was accepting a loss. If we can't win in Cincinnati, I figured there's no way we'll win in Baltimore or New England; so this was a must win. I just love the way the team responded in the 2nd half, like losing was not an option.

Now that I've had some time to think about it, I feel silly about how I acted... I was "teamless" after the Oilers left & when the Texans were born, I was so happy I had a team to cheer for. The 2-14 season didn't bother me at all; I was driving around with a Texans car flag, so why should I let one game bother me during such a great year? Have to say I'm really happy today now :hurrah:

Kaiser Toro
12-11-2011, 10:10 PM
I was fine with the effort, but the turnovers had to be kept in check. However, never did I expect to witness TJ Yates as the catalyst to a great comeback.

Storybook season.