PDA

View Full Version : Jacoby's Gotta Go/**UPDATE**Released

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Carr Bombed
01-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Some people shouldn't be allowed to procreate. :mariopalm:

What that guy did doesn't really bother me. If you want to burn a jersey that you bought and paid for, in your own pit, and in your own lawn....by all means, knock yourself out. pour the gas and light a match.

Just don't go do it on said player's front lawn. :)

houstonspartan
01-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Can't believe idiots are sending Jacoby death threats. People, we are human beings, not savages. Get a damn grip.

You know, I'm less angry at Jacboy than I am at Gary's constant babying and excuse-making he has done for this guy. Jacoby has been coddled, and it came back to bite Gary in the ass. As Gary himself would say, "it's on me."

Yes, Gary, it is.

gary
01-16-2012, 12:48 PM
I am sure Jones is not parading about his ugly game.

Dpwrath
01-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Colston, Wayne or Meachum

ThaJokaa
01-16-2012, 01:05 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/darnbni99a/Screenshot2012-01-16at92237AM.png

welsh texan
01-16-2012, 01:06 PM
Where are you getting these numbers? His entire contract was 3 years $10.5 mil with $3 mil in the form of the first year's salary guaranteed. He can be cut with no cap hit (the guaranteed money has been spent) but he wouldn't earn close to $5 mil next year even if he stayed.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/jacoby-jones/

I thought it looked a bit skewed so maybe the info is unreliable. I'd assumed they might have worked some cap magic to remove the guaranteed from the first year.

Double Barrel
01-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Can't believe idiots are sending Jacoby death threats. People, we are human beings, not savages. Get a damn grip.

You know, I'm less angry at Jacboy than I am at Gary's constant babying and excuse-making he has done for this guy. Jacoby has been coddled, and it came back to bite Gary in the ass. As Gary himself would say, "it's on me."

Yes, Gary, it is.

Yep. There is an old saying - "You reap what you sow" - and it works for both individuals and organizations.

While Jacoby is the target for his stupid decisions, I can't help but look at the organization that has continually kept him on the payroll and rewarded his mediocrity with millions of dollars. That kind of coddling culture needs to change if this team is going to take it to the next level.

Honoring Earl 34
01-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Yep. There is an old saying - "You reap what you sow" - and it works for both individuals and organizations.

While Jacoby is the target for his stupid decisions, I can't help but look at the organization that has continually kept him on the payroll and rewarded his mediocrity with millions of dollars. That kind of coddling culture needs to change if this team is going to take it to the next level.

He''s always been a high risk / high reward type of player . Having said that the Pats had Welker returning punts against the Broncos . Why ... I assume it's because he's a sure handed smart player .

Vinnie
01-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Just to play devil's advocate for a moment, has there been one credible report that this stuff actually happened to Jacoby? Chron.com has nothing and they've already posted up two pieces on him.

ChampionTexan
01-16-2012, 02:39 PM
edit

Corrosion
01-16-2012, 02:59 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/darnbni99a/Screenshot2012-01-16at92237AM.png

Havent seen this on any legit news source .... Is this the only mention of it in the media. I dont trust some dude on twitter Ive neer heard of much.

Cjeremy635
01-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Yes, he played like crap yesterday. The key work is "played", as in a game. He played in a "game" and played crappy. I am as much of a die hard fan as anyone on here and I get pissed when we lose. Sure, I cuss and complain, but to actually wish ill will on someone, or threaten to kill them because of a game, is just moronic. I was actually shocked when I first heard the reports of people burning their jersey and making threats. What in the hell is the point? We're better than that as fans of the Texans and as human beings. Some people need to remember what the hell is actually important in life and realize that sports is just an outlet for us to enjoy. Period.

As to him being here next year, I hope we cut or trade him. He shows flashes, but that isn't enough. He isn't consistent and has been around too long to overlook his glaring weaknesses that he brings as a receiver. He isn't the best route runner and doesn't have the best hands. However, he made some great downfield blocks for us this season in the run game. I give him props for that.

Mr. White
01-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Havent seen this on any legit news source .... Is this the only mention of it in the media. I dont trust some dude on twitter Ive neer heard of much.

Addiction...death threats....lynch mobs....

This thread is taking a turn into urban legend territory.

PapaL
01-16-2012, 03:09 PM
People have Jacoby Jones jerseys?

Just his mom. Now we know how is burning his jersey. :roast:

PapaL
01-16-2012, 03:13 PM
My reasoning for Yates to get a pass...he tossed 3 INTs trying to get the ball to one of the most dangerous weapons in the NFL. AJ has made spectacular plays his entire career. I don't blame Yates for it. Our TEs were non-existent, our other WRs may not have even been in the stadium so who do you throw to when you need yards? AJ.

mussop
01-16-2012, 03:35 PM
I hope they catch every moron that made a death threat and stick it to them as hard as they can. What kind of a dumbass looser does this? Absolute retards!!

chicagotexan2
01-16-2012, 03:37 PM
Jadopey jones is our Steve bartman. Except jadopey actually played a role in our loss and deserves the fans ire. Not threats or Ill will but all the criticism is justified. So those that are hyper sensitive to name calling put me on your ignore list. Jadopey must go.

HOU-TEX
01-16-2012, 03:37 PM
I think we made several good to very good off-season moves last year. Re-signing Jones was NOT one of them.

I made it known I didn't like it when we did it and I've only gotten more peeved since.

Double Barrel
01-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Addiction...death threats....lynch mobs....

This thread is taking a turn into urban legend territory.

Urban legend indeed. Maybe started and perpetuated by someone loyal to Jacoby to garner some sympathy to ease off fan's anger?

There is NOTHING out there to substantiate any of these stories short of some nobody's Twitter feed.

JamesBill
01-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Is there any story on what happened at his house? I heard someone put a for Sale sign in his front yard but it seems like this might be mostly BS.

False Start
01-16-2012, 04:30 PM
Just saw this on Twitter. (http://www.myfoxhouston.com//dpp/sports/nfl/120116-jacoby-jones-never-in-any-danger)

Jacoby Jones Never in Any Danger (http://www.myfoxhouston.com//dpp/sports/nfl/120116-jacoby-jones-never-in-any-danger)

HOUSTON - Despite news reports and Texans fans' websites that said otherwise, the agent for receiver/punt returner Jacoby Jones, Kennard McGuire, told FOX 26 Sports that his client was never in any danger Sunday night.

McGuire said he did hear fans threaten Jones during telephone calls to local radio stations, but nothing beyond that.

However, McGuire took no chances.

Read more: http://www.myfoxhouston.com//dpp/sports/nfl/120116-jacoby-jones-never-in-any-danger#ixzz1jfAksC2p

Carr Bombed
01-16-2012, 04:43 PM
Is there any story on what happened at his house? I heard someone put a for Sale sign in his front yard but it seems like this might be mostly BS.

:) OK, if that happened, I'm sorry........that is funny!

I don't support burning stuff in his yard, threatening his life, but I'd LMAO if I saw someone stick a for sale sign in his yard.

Carr Bombed
01-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Just saw this on Twitter. (http://www.myfoxhouston.com//dpp/sports/nfl/120116-jacoby-jones-never-in-any-danger)

Jacoby Jones Never in Any Danger (http://www.myfoxhouston.com//dpp/sports/nfl/120116-jacoby-jones-never-in-any-danger)

Fantastic... Now I can go back to full on hating him again without a hint of guilt or remorse. :)

ObsiWan
01-16-2012, 04:50 PM
My reasoning for Yates to get a pass...he tossed 3 INTs trying to get the ball to one of the most dangerous weapons in the NFL. AJ has made spectacular plays his entire career. I don't blame Yates for it. Our TEs were non-existent, our other WRs may not have even been in the stadium so who do you throw to when you need yards? AJ.

Maybe that's because Yates never looked for anyone else. He decided who the play was going to based on the coverage he thought he saw and stared the #1 option down every time. It wasn't just A.J., he stared down KW on that deep ball to the left side. If you have the means, watch the game again and tell me any play where his head swiveled like it would if he was going through his progressions. Tell me where you saw him actually check down to an underneath guy.

It's possible that he may earn Schaub's job one future day, but right now, T.J. has a good bit of work to do before that happens.

False Start
01-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Fantastic... Now I can go back to full on hating him again without a hint of guilt or remorse. :)

:heh:

I'm with ya.

Thorn
01-16-2012, 04:59 PM

Hating someone and wishing actual harm on them on two different things. I would never hope that some numbskull would try to do anything harmfull to Jacoby, that's just wrong. But, as a football player, I hate him. As a actual real person, I haven't the slightest idea of what to think about him so I just don't.

False Start
01-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Hating someone and wishing actual harm on them on two different things. I would never hope that some numbskull would try to do anything harmfull to Jacoby, that's just wrong. But, as a football player, I hate him. As a actual real person, I haven't the slightest idea of what to think about him so I just don't.

Exactly. I hate him as a player, just like I hate the bad guy in rasslin, lol. I wish no harm upon the dude, he may be a cool mofo in his personal life you never know.

houstonspartan
01-16-2012, 05:15 PM

LMAO!!

Agree.

I hate Jacoby the player, not Jacoby the human being.

PapaL
01-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Maybe that's because Yates never looked for anyone else. He decided who the play was going to based on the coverage he thought he saw and stared the #1 option down every time. It wasn't just A.J., he stared down KW on that deep ball to the left side. If you have the means, watch the game again and tell me any play where his head swiveled like it would if he was going through his progressions. Tell me where you saw him actually check down to an underneath guy.

It's possible that he may earn Schaub's job one future day, but right now, T.J. has a good bit of work to do before that happens.

I agree, maybe one day but not any Sunday coming up.

gary
01-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Does calling him names make you feel like more of a man?

Thorn
01-16-2012, 05:35 PM

Let's suppose for a moment that something happens and Schaub doesn't come back. Do you think that with the benefit of the offseason and training camp that TJ could be coached up enough to be the starter next season?

Carr Bombed
01-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Does calling him names make you feel like more of a man?

Nope...no more or no less, but it does make me feel better. :pissed:

Sorry Gary, I don't care to hear a defense for this guy. This clown should've been cut yesterday. This wasn't just one boneheaded play...it's was another boneheaded play from a player that has committed a entire string of boneheaded plays throughout his career. He needs to go play for another team, heck maybe we'll start benefiting from his play on the field then.....when we play against him.

Doesn't matter though, in a couple of seasons I think Janobody Jones will be out of the NFL completely.

Carr Bombed
01-16-2012, 05:53 PM
Let's suppose for a moment that something happens and Schaub doesn't come back. Do you think that with the benefit of the offseason and training camp that TJ could be coached up enough to be the starter next season?

Yates would definitely be the starter next season if Schaub didn't make it back. The biggest reason is who are you going to replace him with? We're picking in the mid 20s and this is a very crappy QB draft. He's actually a better option than anyone you'd get in the draft at that spot. :) Who are you going to replace him with? Ryan Tannanhil (oh god, please no) who also has a broke foot.

In the big scheme of things, Yates didn't play that poorly this season and played well enough to think he could grow and develop into a capable pinch starter.

gary
01-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Nope...no more or no less, but it does make me feel better. :pissed:

Sorry Gary, I don't care to hear a defense for this guy. This clown should've been cut yesterday. This wasn't just one boneheaded play...it's was another boneheaded play from a player that has committed a entire string of boneheaded plays throughout his career. He needs to go play for another team, heck maybe we'll start benefiting from his play on the field then.....when we play against him.

Doesn't matter though, in a couple of seasons I think Janobody Jones will be out of the NFL completely.Who is to blame for him still being here? Does calling him names make the Texans a winner?

GuerillaBlack
01-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Who is to blame for him still being here? Does calling him names make the Texans a winner?

LEAVE JACOBY ALONE!!!!

:kubepalm:

Carr Bombed
01-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Who is to blame for him still being here? Does calling him names make the Texans a winner?

I don't get what your argument here is...

Does defending jacoby make the Texans a winner?

Does anything we type here make the Texans a winner?

Does anything we type here or say on the radio have any outcome on what the Texans do? No it doesn't.

If I want to vent and call Jacoby a jackass, I can do that....and he is a jackass. What he did (or didn't do) yesterday was football 101. GET THE **** AWAY FROM A ERRATIC KICK! Freaking high school players know better and he's in the freaking NFL.

I'm not going to come on this board and baby him or coddle him, that's one of the things that got us in this mess in the first place. If he doesn't like how fans are responding to him then FINE....DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. He needs to go to the doctor and surgically have his head removed from his ass and start using his freaking brain, because he isn't a rookie.

Next season will be his 6th in the league and he's still making rookie mistakes. If he wants to shut people up.....play better. PLAY SMARTER! The only thing he's been able to be consistent at during his tenure in the NFL is his ungodly ability to consistently pull off stupid crap. :kubepalm: His act is old and is played out in this city...time to find another gig and take the song and dance down the road.

and I'm not yelling at you Gary..my anger is projected towards Mr. Jackass.

TheMatrix31
01-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Sick of hearing "durrrrrrrr, who's responsible for him being here still?"

You know what? He IS here. And he's being paid millions of dollars to catch and return a ****ing punt and more importantly, not make stupid decisions.

Not only did he NOT catch it. He let it bounce, THEN caught it. Deep in his OWN end. IN the playoffs. ON the road. AGAINST Baltimore. UP three points. AFTER a massive defensive stop.

You can play "he should have never been here to begin with" all you want. He shouldn't have. But you know what? He was.

Texecutioner
01-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Yates would definitely be the starter next season if Schaub didn't make it back. The biggest reason is who are you going to replace him with? We're picking in the mid 20s and this is a very crappy QB draft. He's actually a better option than anyone you'd get in the draft at that spot. :) Who are you going to replace him with? Ryan Tannanhil (oh god, please no) who also has a broke foot.

In the big scheme of things, Yates didn't play that poorly this season and played well enough to think he could grow and develop into a capable pinch starter.

Go back and watch those games CB. He played like a another Joe Flacco type in waiting. NO way in hell I want him as a starter here ever. We were stuck with him, because we had nobody else and he'd be a good back up, but he'll most likely be a career back up in this league or a stop gap player for some team that is rebuilding and looking for their franchise QB. If Yates ever becomes our full time starter, we'll struggle for a few years until we find out that he's just average at best.

Thorn
01-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Kubiak defended him in his press conferance, and did make mention that Jacoby will be back next year. That could be true, or it could just be Coach Speak, you just don't know. You really don't want your head coach to come out right after a game and say who's he's getting rid of for next year. That's a good way to lose the locker room.

Also, not all draft picks pan out. Jacoby is one of them. Time to cut the loses and move on.

Double Barrel
01-16-2012, 06:14 PM

You know what? He IS here. And he's being paid millions of dollars to catch and return a ****ing punt and more importantly, not make stupid decisions.

Not only did he NOT catch it. He let it bounce, THEN caught it. Deep in his OWN end. IN the playoffs. ON the road. AGAINST Baltimore. UP three points. AFTER a massive defensive stop.

You can play "he should have never been here to begin with" all you want. He shouldn't have. But you know what? He was.

While I agree with you that it's all on Jacoby, you do have to admit that it makes the front office look stupid for signing the dude to a three year deal. Way too many fans saw his shortcomings last year and before, so for them to continue to coddle the guy just makes no sense.

Sorry that you are tired of hearing it, but now that we are automatically jolted into our off-season, it's time to do the fan thing and evaluate every little aspect of our franchise. :fingergun:

Here's the big question: WILL JACOBY BE HERE IN 2012?

My Magic 8 Ball says "Better not tell you now".

Carr Bombed
01-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Go back and watch those games CB. He played like a another Joe Flacco type in waiting. NO way in hell I want him as a starter here ever. We were stuck with him, because we had nobody else and he'd be a good back up, but he'll most likely be a career back up in this league or a stop gap player for some team that is rebuilding and looking for their franchise QB. If Yates ever becomes our full time starter, we'll struggle for a few years until we find out that he's just average at best.

Go read the question i responded to.. The question was, if Schaub couldn't go next season would Yates be the starter. Sorry, but the realistic answer is Yes he would.

There's nobody in the draft at their spot that's going to beat out Yates (and Tannehill is the only QB projected to go around there)

Who's going to be available on the FA market that Houston can pick up to replace a guy who already has experience in the system.

If Schaub can't go at the start of next season T.J. Yates will be the starter...I was never talking about him being a long term solution, but the O.P. said "next season". Next season Yates would be the starter...after that, who knows, it depends on what happened with Schaub.

Texecutioner
01-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Go read the question i responded to.. The question was, if Schaub couldn't go next season would Yates be the starter. Sorry, but the realistic answer is Yes he would.

There's nobody in the draft at their spot that's going to beat out Yates (and Tannehill is the only QB projected to go around there)

Who's going to be available on the FA market that Houston can pick up to replace a guy who already has experience in the system.

If Schaub can't go at the start of next season T.J. Yates will be the starter...I was never talking about him being a long term solution, but the O.P. said "next season". Next season Yates would be the starter...after that, who knows, it depends on what happened with Schaub.

Oh okay then. I agree with you there, although it is no definite answer that he's better than Leinart. We didn't see a long enough sample to know for sure. I think he is probably just as good or a little better than Leinart most likely though.

If the Texans could make some big trades to land a franchise starter though that looks like the next big elite QB, I'd be all for it. Those guys are to hard to come by and sometimes you just have to make big ballsy trades to get one or take advantage if one slips like Rogers did.

If Schaub goes down for the season again though, we need to seriously find a new franchise starter.

thunderkyss
01-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Doesn't matter though, in a couple of seasons I think Janobody Jones will be out of the NFL completely.

I don't. I bet he'll make it longer in the NFL than most of us think....... sorta like Jabar Gafney(sp).

I've got a Jacoby jersey & hope I'll be able to wear it next season. He's fun to watch & he definitely brings something to this team not many others do.

Arian Foster still loves the man, calls him his brother, loves to play with him....

I hope he stays.

thunderkyss
01-16-2012, 06:41 PM

There's nothing wrong with the way Yates played "for a rookie"

If he never moves past that... ala Joe Flacco... then it becomes a problem.

If his numbers get closer to Schaub's as time goes on, I'm good with that.

gary
01-16-2012, 06:48 PM
And who left him in the game? My point is cut him and call it a day. It is OVER.

Corrosion
01-16-2012, 06:51 PM

No training camp , no OTA's or mini-camps .... Being the scout team QB for the first 10 weeks ... Getting no reps with the #1's with a 5th round rookie who expected to do no more than hold a clipboard all season.

I think he did a commendable job all things considered .... despite being beaten on the road by one of the best defenses in the NFL in a sudden death game.

We have no idea what his ceiling is at this point. Get him a full offseason with OTA's , mini-camps and training camps and Im quite comfortable going into the season with Yates behind Schaub.
If he continues to develop he either becomes trade material or the heir apparent down the line.

If he doesnt at least you know the guy is a capable backup - better than the majority of backups in this league .... and has the experience of those two playoff games under his belt.

eriadoc
01-16-2012, 06:53 PM

Jacoby Jones has made mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake. Even within the 60 minutes of yesterday's game, he kept going out there making mistake after mistake. At some point, you have to look past Jones and realize that he is what he is and it takes a special kind of dumbass to keep putting the team's fortunes in his hands. If you were the coach, how many times would you have put him out there?

TheMatrix31
01-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Jacoby Jones has made mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake. Even within the 60 minutes of yesterday's game, he kept going out there making mistake after mistake. At some point, you have to look past Jones and realize that he is what he is and it takes a special kind of dumbass to keep putting the team's fortunes in his hands. If you were the coach, how many times would you have put him out there?

If I were coach, I probably wouldn't even have him as a returner. I would probably not even have him on my team anymore. But I wouldn't have let him see the field at all after the fumble.

kingh99
01-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Sorry but I can't approve of all this hate. People actually want to hurt him. I feel bad for the kid. He shouldn't fear for his life just because he tried. He just... didn't work out so let's just cut him and move forward.

As for placing blame SQUARELY on JJ... The Texans are known for trotting out Slaton at KR repeatedly, sticking with Brown, and tallying up an infinite number of blocks in the back. This is a coaching issue.

I wish we would fire Joe Marciano and have felt that way since he couldn't solve the new NFL rules regarding the wedge.

It's like the movie Full Metal Jacket. He's causing the entire unit, a good unit, to be collectively punished. Jones earned his blanket party.

He's gone. McNair will see to that. McNair doesn't want the fans at the game turning on the team and he'll get his ass booed off if he's still here next year. It's purely business now.

gary
01-16-2012, 07:06 PM
Hell, I would have let Bryant Johnson returned kicks before Jones.

kingh99
01-16-2012, 07:07 PM
And for the people who say he manned up talking to the media. Bullsh%t!!!!!
Pujols manned up when he smoldered and told the media to piss off. He didn't want to say jack and went out and set some sort of home run or RBI record in the next game, capped off by winning it all. Talk is cheap. Being smart enough to know when nothing you can say will make it better and therefore stay quiet is a stronger play.

DocBar
01-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Go back and watch those games CB. He played like a another Joe Flacco type in waiting. NO way in hell I want him as a starter here ever. We were stuck with him, because we had nobody else and he'd be a good back up, but he'll most likely be a career back up in this league or a stop gap player for some team that is rebuilding and looking for their franchise QB. If Yates ever becomes our full time starter, we'll struggle for a few years until we find out that he's just average at best.Yates progressed more in less than 10 games than David Carr did in 5 seasons. I'm not thrilled with how Yates played Sunday, but I'm not going to crucify him then kick him to the curb. The kid has talent and moxie. He made mistakes, but at least they were aggressive mistakes and not the "stop drop and roll" or run out of bounds behind the LOS mistakes Carr made. Aggressive mistakes are much more forgivable than timid ones in the NFL.

DocBar
01-16-2012, 07:10 PM
And who left him in the game? My point is cut him and call it a day. It is OVER.Agreed. Headquarters.

kingh99
01-16-2012, 07:14 PM
What's really bad is he's totally sh%t the bed trade value wise. Other teams know the Texans can't keep him due to the fans booing him during games or worse, so they'll offer zip. He'll be quietly cut. Talk about screwing over a team multiple times. Just saying.

Sidenote: Didn't Stagger Lee happen in the early part of the playoff game with the Broncos (Oilers)? What is with this city and moronic gameplay from it's team early in important games? I can't think of another city that has suffered through so much football garbage. I guess Dallas with Romo Capades during crunch time comes close. Screwing up an extra point take a special kind of choke job.

Brisco_County
01-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Yates progressed more in less than 10 games than David Carr did in 5 seasons. I'm not thrilled with how Yates played Sunday, but I'm not going to crucify him then kick him to the curb. The kid has talent and moxie. He made mistakes, but at least they were aggressive mistakes and not the "stop drop and roll" or run out of bounds behind the LOS mistakes Carr made. Aggressive mistakes are much more forgivable than timid ones in the NFL.

I never thought about that, but it's true. I'd like to see how far he has come after a couple of years of learning under Kubiak and Schaub.

Texecutioner
01-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Yates progressed more in less than 10 games than David Carr did in 5 seasons. I'm not thrilled with how Yates played Sunday, but I'm not going to crucify him then kick him to the curb. The kid has talent and moxie. He made mistakes, but at least they were aggressive mistakes and not the "stop drop and roll" or run out of bounds behind the LOS mistakes Carr made. Aggressive mistakes are much more forgivable than timid ones in the NFL.

If your comparison to make him look good is so desperate that you've got to compare him to David Carr, than it's no wonder I'm writing this stuff. That has got to be the most laughable explanation of why he was good anyone could have written Docbar.

He has "moxie" my ass.

You just made my case for me by having to reach to David Carr to try and spin this kid as something that he isn't. If Yates was on the Titans you guys would laugh at his ass.

Losing after so many years really has dropped the standards of a lot of Texans fans. Why on earth would you use David Carr as some sort of measuring stick to compare other QB's to?? That's pathetic.

We won games in spite of Yates. Not because of him.

Carr Bombed
01-16-2012, 07:19 PM
I don't. I bet he'll make it longer in the NFL than most of us think....... sorta like Jabar Gafney(sp).

I've got a Jacoby jersey & hope I'll be able to wear it next season. He's fun to watch & he definitely brings something to this team not many others do.

Arian Foster still loves the man, calls him his brother, loves to play with him....

I hope he stays.

Jacoby can't even claim the spot his head coach has been grooming him for and trying to hand him for years.

Also what does he really bring this team? 500 yards and 2 TDs when your all pro receiver misses the majority of the season is nothing to write home about. There's rookie receivers that come into this league every season that blow that level of production out of the water and Jacoby is about to be a 6 year vet. This has nothing to do with "potential' anymore. Jacoby is what he is and this is what he most likely will always be...this is likely his max ceiling and that's just not good enough to hold that spot on the roster.

Gaffney was a highly productive player at a D1 school within a great conference. He was a much more polished receiver coming into the league. His lack or production had more to do with being stuck with a QB who couldn't progress through his reads and automatically checked the ball down to his RB as soon as he finished looking A.J.'s way.

Corrosion
01-16-2012, 07:31 PM

I hope he stays.

I'd trade him for Gafney in a heartbeat ... haha

Carr Bombed
01-16-2012, 07:32 PM
If your comparison to make him look good is so desperate that you've got to compare him to David Carr, than it's no wonder I'm writing this stuff. That has got to be the most laughable explanation of why he was good anyone could have written Docbar.

He has "moxie" my ass.

You just made my case for me by having to reach to David Carr to try and spin this kid as something that he isn't. If Yates was on the Titans you guys would laugh at his ass.

Losing after so many years really has dropped the standards of a lot of Texans fans. Why on earth would you use David Carr as some sort of measuring stick to compare other QB's to?? That's pathetic.

We won games in spite of Yates. Not because of him.

How many teams really win games, because of their young rookie QBs? There are cases, but it's the exception and not the rule.

The truth is that NOBODY knows what kind of player Yates is going to be in the future good or bad? It's simply too early to tell and anybody who claims they know for a fact about what type of player he'll be in 3 years is simply blowing hot air.

Will Yates be the future here.......who knows, too early to tell.

Will Yates be a future starter for another team....who knows, too early to tell.

Will Yates be a complete failure in this league and remain a clipboard holder....who knows, too early to tell.

I do know he has outplayed 1st rounders this season and I also know the stage didn't look to big for him considering the circumstances that he was thrust into. As a 5th round pick I'm glad we picked him, because that's excellent value even if he never progressing past being our backup QB and I'm willing to kick the tires on him some more and see what we have. I'll just do it in practice/preseason/mop up duty in blowouts and hope Schaub is healthy and stays healthy next season.

Dutchrudder
01-16-2012, 07:34 PM
I'd trade JJ to the Lions for the rights to Barry Sanders. At least that way we could get something cool for him.

Texecutioner
01-16-2012, 07:39 PM
How many teams really win games, because of their young rookie QBs? There are cases, but it's the exception and not the rule.

The truth is that NOBODY knows what kind of player Yates is going to be in the future good or bad? It's simply too early to tell and anybody who claims they know for a fact about what type of player he'll be in 3 years is simply blowing hot air.

Will Yates be the future here.......who knows, too early to tell

Will Yates be a complete failure in this league and remain a clipboard holder....who knows, too early to tell.

I do know he has outplayed 1st rounders this season and I also know the stage didn't look to big for him considering the circumstances that he was thrust into. As a 5th round pick I'm glad we picked him and I'm willing to kick the tires on him some more and see what we have. I'll just do it in practice/preseason/mop up duty in blowouts and hope Schaub is healthy and stays healthy next season.

He was a game manager that we were forced to play with and fans wanted him to do well so badly that now way to many folks are planning on him being our next starter after Schaub. Schaub going down and getting hurt just might have been one of the worst things to happen to this franchise if that keeps people high on Yates to where he sticks around long term to supplant Schaub.

I saw enough of him to know that I don't want him here as a starter. He wasn't great at extending plays. Rookies can do that. That's an intangible that you either have or you don't. He didn't have that. His arm wasn't overly impressive either.

When I watched Big Ben his rookie season he was a game manager as well. He didn't hardly do anything offensively, but you could always see something special in him on certain plays where he could extend plays and look amazing at times. You could see a high ceiling in his future. You could with Aaron Rogers immediately the minute he played in that Cowboys game when Favre got hurt. Yates just has average written all over him.

Texecutioner
01-16-2012, 07:41 PM
Jacoby can't even claim the spot his head coach has been grooming him for and trying to hand him for years.

Also what does he really bring this team? 500 yards and 2 TDs when your all pro receiver missing the majority of the season is nothing to right home about. There's rookie receivers that come into this league every season that blow that level of production out of the water and Jacoby is about to be a 6 year vet. This has nothing to do with "potential' anymore. Jacoby is what he is and this is what he most likely will always be...this is likely his max ceiling and that's just not good enough to hold that spot on the roster.

Gaffney was a highly productive player at a D1 school within a great conference. He was a much more polished receiver coming into the league. His lack or production had more to do with being stuck with a QB who couldn't progress through his reads and automatically checked the ball down to his RB as soon as he finished looking A.J.'s way.

Leave it up to TK to be the only person that claims to root for this team to want Jacoby Jones still on this team. Lol! What a shocker there.

Wolf
01-16-2012, 07:42 PM

Also what does he really bring this team? 500 yards and 2 TDs when your all pro receiver missing the majority of the season is nothing to right home about. There's rookie receivers that come into this league every season that blow that level of production out of the water and Jacoby is about to be a 6 year vet. This has nothing to do with "potential' anymore. Jacoby is what he is and this is what he most likely will always be...this is likely his max ceiling and that's just not good enough to hold that spot on the roster.

Wow I looked at his stats on ESPiN 31 catches In 18 games..shut out in the post season

I shook my head. I didn't even factor in AJ was out for most of that and it was jacoby's time to shine? Less than 2 catches a game

I don't hate him as a person, but he is what he is and all he is going to be by now. Nothing more can be done. Working with a really good offense and gets to learn from one of the best WR in the game. Time to look fora replacement (well, it is over due). We have to find someone.

Texan_Bill
01-16-2012, 07:43 PM
I'd trade JJ to the Lions for the rights to Barry Sanders. At least that way we could get something cool for him.

You're all wrong. I would trade him for James Brooks (San Diego / Nati)... Dude was versatile as hell. He could run the ball, catch the ball out of the backfield and oh yeah, a good pretty return guy...

You need to check yourself!!! :kitten:

thunderkyss
01-16-2012, 07:43 PM

True, but at the time, he was cussed as much as Jacoby was.

I'm not going to try to defend Jacoby, I'm too exhausted with all the Kareem discussions.

He's not a #2, we agree there. We're not paying him like a #2.

TheMatrix31
01-16-2012, 07:44 PM
Dude cost us against Oakland too. Bastard.

Texan_Bill
01-16-2012, 07:46 PM

I hope he stays.

Then again, Jabar Gaffney came with a little pedigree. Florida IIRC. Jones from Lane College? Not so much.

Texan_Bill
01-16-2012, 08:02 PM
It's kinda funny to see people that are message board members try to pretend they're "the smartest guy in the room"!! Hell, if some of y'all were that good, or that smart, why are y'all not running an NFL, UFL, Canadian or an AFL team???

:lol: at some of y'all!!!

:facepalm:

TheMatrix31
01-16-2012, 08:26 PM
It's kinda funny to see people that are message board members try to pretend they're "the smartest guy in the room"!! Hell, if some of y'all were that good, or that smart, why are y'all not running an NFL, UFL, Canadian or an AFL team???

:lol: at some of y'all!!!

:facepalm:

I wish I had a job with the team. I've applied as an Administrative Assistant but didn't get the position. I'd do anything to have a job with the team and move out to Houston.

Carr Bombed
01-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Then again, Jabar Gaffney came with a little pedigree. Florida IIRC. Jones from Lane College? Not so much.

Jabar Gaffney got a bad wrap here.. Unless you were Andre Johnson (Carr's first read) or any dump off option, you had NO SHOT at catching the ball in that offense and with that QB.

In Kubiak's offense with Schaub, if you can get open he'll find you and you'll be productive. Just look at Joel Dreessen the backup TE who has 28 rec (only 3 less than Jacoby) 350 yards and 6 TDs.

Jabar has been a productive player pretty much everybody else he's been away from David Carr....I don't we'd be able to say the same thing about Jacoby Jones.

If his max potential is just a 3rd string QB, then he needs to go... to me that should be a spot held for a young player who has upside and has the potential to grow into something greater.. 3 years ago that might've described Jacoby Jones, but now it doesn't. It's time to draft another "project" who can be put in that spot and possibly work his way up and that doesn't even factor into the first round pick we should spend on the position to step in as a starter day 1 on the other side of Andre Johnson.

DocBar
01-16-2012, 08:36 PM
I'd trade JJ to the Lions for the rights to Barry Sanders. At least that way we could get something cool for him.I would trade JJ for used toilet paper, but that's redundant. A used snot rag. that's redundant again. A preserved hemorroid. DAMN THE REDUNDANCIES!!!!!!:kubepalm:

thunderkyss
01-16-2012, 08:41 PM
If his max potential is just a 3rd string WR, then he needs to go... to me that should be a spot held for a young player who has upside and has the potential to grow into something greater.. 3 years ago that might've described Jacoby Jones, but now it doesn't. It's time to draft another "project" who can be put in that spot and possibly work his way up and that doesn't even factor into the first round pick we should spend on the position to step in as a starter day 1 on the other side of Andre Johnson.

Great argument. I'm good with this. Makes perfect sense.... no argument from me what-so-ever.

I would trade JJ for used toilet paper, but that's redundant. A used snot rag. that's redundant again. A preserved hemorroid. DAMN THE REDUNDANCIES!!!!!!:kubepalm:

This is the kind of stuff I don't understand.

chicagotexan2
01-16-2012, 09:05 PM
I'd trade him for Gafney in a heartbeat ... haha

I'd trade this dope for a cd of don Johnson's 'heartbeat'. Jacoby jones is simply too dumb to play and the more and more I think of it it disturbs the schit out me that this dolt was allowed to stay out there. 6 returns four yards two fumbles. I don't feel good about calling him names but I'm not going to coddle and sooth his pain like his momma or other people would.

Vinnie
01-16-2012, 09:11 PM
OK, so who would rather have David Anderson now instead of Jacoby? Be honest. :kitten:

Thorn
01-16-2012, 09:20 PM
OK, so who would rather have David Anderson now instead of Jacoby? Be honest. :kitten:

I'd rather have a three legged blind dog fielding the punts than Jacoby. But I'd take David Anderson.

Corrosion
01-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Dude cost us against Oakland too. Bastard.

Vickers cost us that one ..... :kitten:

Vinnie
01-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Hey, it was a topic of some controversy earlier in the season. The consensus was keep Jacoby, DA ain't ****. I think it's worth looking back on. DA wasn't a slouch on special teams and wasn't afraid to take a hit over the middle. Did we get that much out of Jacoby this season? Hind sight being 20/20 and all.

Thorn
01-16-2012, 09:37 PM
David Anderson really isn't that great, but if I had to have one of the two on my team, it would be Anderson over Jacoby. You can actually get some use out of David Anderson, even if it's nothing more than keeping Schaub entertained with his antics.

Vinnie
01-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Yeah, he's not great. He might not even be good, but he's a better football player than Jacoby.

TheRealJoker
01-16-2012, 10:20 PM
David Anderson really isn't that great, but if I had to have one of the two on my team, it would be Anderson over Jacoby. You can actually get some use out of David Anderson, even if it's nothing more than keeping Schaub entertained with his antics.

A happy Schaub is a healthy Schaub. It's no coincidence that when DA is gone Schaub gets injured...

silvrhand
01-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Sorry he's simply going in the wrong direction time to go:

Year Teams G GS Rec Yds Avg Lng TD Att Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
2011 Houston Texans 16 10 31 512 16.5 80T 2 4 17 4.3 15 0 -- --
2010 Houston Texans 15 7 51 562 11.0 47 3 2 7 3.5 10 0 1 0
2009 Houston Texans 14 1 27 437 16.2 45 6 3 22 7.3 17 0 2 0

chenjy9
01-17-2012, 12:24 PM
I agree that Jacoby has used up all his goodwill in Houston and needs to find a ride out of town, though truth be told, he is not terrible. He is simply not a legitimate number 2 and at times even questionable as a number 3. For a WR he also seems to have pretty clumsy hands. On the plus side, he is not nearly as much money as everyone thinks he does for the remainder of his contract. I would actually like to see the Texans give him a try at CB and have him duke it out with the other proverbial scapegoat Kareem Jackson. His combine results are a bit slower than a typical NFL CB, but his size and power may be able to cause mismatches.

NitroGSXR
01-17-2012, 12:54 PM
I agree that Jacoby has used up all his goodwill in Houston and needs to find a ride out of town, though truth be told, he is not terrible. He is simply not a legitimate number 2 and at times even questionable as a number 3. For a WR he also seems to have pretty clumsy hands. On the plus side, he is not nearly as much money as everyone thinks he does for the remainder of his contract. I would actually like to see the Texans give him a try at CB and have him duke it out with the other proverbial scapegoat Kareem Jackson. His combine results are a bit slower than a typical NFL CB, but his size and power may be able to cause mismatches.

Jacoby is a poor route runner. I can't imagine he'd do well covering while backpeddaling. Also, being very physical is a key component of playing defense. Then factor in his "hesitation" moves. I can't imagine it going well at all!

Rey
01-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Jacoby will be a texan next year. That's what I believe.

Dutchrudder
01-17-2012, 01:03 PM
Jacoby will be a texan next year. That's what I believe.

Of course he will. They can cut him from the team, but they can't kick him out of the state.

Oh wait, you meant...

:kitten:

chenjy9
01-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Jacoby is a poor route runner. I can't imagine he'd do well covering while backpeddaling. Also, being very physical is a key component of playing defense. Then factor in his "hesitation" moves. I can't imagine it going well at all!

Jacoby seems to play fairly instinctively and it could help a lot in allowing him to shadow his target better and being a CB minimizes the damage of otherwise dropping the ball (unless batted into the hands of a WR of course). I have seen Jacoby make some physical plays and while he could be more aggressive in going for the catch, I do not believe he is soft. Dumb and clumsy might be a better description. One thing I am fairly certain of is that the FO will most likely be drafting a WR this year in the first round and honestly, I have a sick feeling in my stomach that JJones will NOT be cut, meaning he has to go somewhere on the roster and clearly, PR is not the position for him.

NitroGSXR
01-17-2012, 01:26 PM
A happy Schaub is a healthy Schaub. It's no coincidence that when DA is gone Schaub gets injured...

C'mon now... you can't really believe that all of David Anderson would have kept Albert Haynesworth away.

Thorn
01-17-2012, 01:33 PM
C'mon now... you can't really believe that all of David Anderson would have kept Albert Haynesworth away.

Joker was making a joke. :truck:

gwallaia
01-17-2012, 01:57 PM
From now on, whenever any Texan player muffs a punt, we will all say "He Jacobied it."

DerekLee1
01-17-2012, 02:13 PM
Jacoby didn't cost us that game; TJ did. Be mad all you want, but it happened five minutes into a 3-point game. TJ threw two picks in the LAST five minutes of a 7-point game.

That being said, I still think you find a way to get Reggie Wayne here, then trade Jacoby, Leinart, and whatever draft picks it takes to move up to get Justin Blackmon.

NitroGSXR
01-17-2012, 02:16 PM
From now on, whenever any Texan player muffs a punt, we will all say "He Jacobied it."

My son and I toss the old pigskin around pretty much everyday. He says I throw like a girl and when he drops it, I tell him he catches like Jacoby Jones. He does not find it as funny as I do.

Double Barrel
01-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Jacoby didn't cost us that game; TJ did. Be mad all you want, but it happened five minutes into a 3-point game. TJ threw two picks in the LAST five minutes of a 7-point game.

That being said, I still think you find a way to get Reggie Wayne here, then trade Jacoby, Leinart, and whatever draft picks it takes to move up to get Justin Blackmon.

The score was a 7 point difference. Jacoby basically gift wrapping a TD on the 1 yard line certainly cost the team something. Blame it on the rookie, but he did not make a mistake like Jacoby did, who is a 5 year veteran.

At least TJ was trying to make plays. Jacoby was trying to be a dumbass...and he succeeded brilliantly.

My son and I toss the old pigskin around pretty much everyday. He says I throw like a girl and when he drops it, I tell him he catches like Jacoby Jones. He does not find it as funny as I do.

lol! That's funny because Jacoby has been our 'dropped ball' example for years when I throw the football with my boy! :D

Joeycharp89
01-17-2012, 02:43 PM

Ya but Jacoby has had a lot more chances to be good compared to Yates. Yates is a rookie and isn't likely to play again next season unless Schaub gets hurt again (knock on wood). This will give Yates time to continue to learn and improve, and many people agree he has potential. Jacoby has been around for a much longer time and hasn't really shown actual improvement, just signs of improvement that never carry through.

chenjy9
01-17-2012, 03:04 PM

TJ is a 5th round ROOKIE. JJones is a 5th YEAR VETERAN. One is expected to make mistakes as a rookie. As a veteran WR who has already disappointed everyone time and time again, cannot afford to make that kind of mistake, especially in a big time game. The score differential at the end was 1 TD+1 difference. That is exactly how many points we gave them, when JJones spotted them the ball at our 3 yard line which completely gave Ravens the momentum of the game. Yeah... Jones cost us the game.

VTexan
01-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Can't believe we resigned Jacoby but let Leach go. Didn't understand it then, don't understand it now.

ATXtexanfan
01-17-2012, 03:58 PM
i got a jacoby jersey. yup i said it

StarStruck
01-17-2012, 04:01 PM
TJ is a 5th round ROOKIE. JJones is a 5th YEAR VETERAN. One is expected to make mistakes as a rookie. As a veteran WR who has already disappointed everyone time and time again, cannot afford to make that kind of mistake, especially in a big time game. The score differential at the end was 1 TD+1 difference. That is exactly how many points we gave them, when JJones spotted them the ball at our 3 yard line which completely gave Ravens the momentum of the game. Yeah... Jones cost us the game.

Perhaps I saw a different game, but I thought the momentum for the most part went the Texans way. The Ravens seemed pretty flat to me. The only way Jones definitely could have "cost us" the game is "if" the rest of game would have played out exactly the way it did after the turnover "if" the Texans did not score on that drive. Then "if" Yates had not thrown interceptions, and "if" the Texans would have still made a goal line stand in the "same" circumstances since early in first quarter had been "exactly" the same, then yes, the Texans could have had a tie game and went into overtime. But "if" the Texans would have played flawless ball and "if" the Ravens would have lost fumbles and Ed Reed's timing had been off in those situations, then yes, it's Jones fault.

I actually believe that Kubiak is a stand up guy who is not going to throw any of his players to the wolves and he did a really good thing IMO of not publically making the botched play any worse than it already was. I believe this will be Jones last season as a Texan and it is time for him to move on. How he performs on a different team will reveal that he gained enough experience to continue his NFL career, or he will leave the league and pursue other endeavors.

i got a jacoby jersey. yup i said it I'm very frugal, so before you start burning good merchandise I'll take it off your hands. I probably won't keep it, but Ebay is a good business resource.

With al that said, that loss was very disappointing and heartbreaking.

ATXtexanfan
01-17-2012, 04:08 PM
I'm very frugal, so before you start burning good merchandise I'll take it off your hands. I probably won't keep it, but Ebay is a good business resource.[/QUOTE]

burn it, thats silly. i'll trade it for a pack of cigs and a quart. oh wait, a jumbaco

Kthx
01-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Pretty sure JJ jerseys are a hot commodity up in Maryland.

chenjy9
01-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Perhaps I saw a different game, but I thought the momentum for the most part went the Texans way. The Ravens seemed pretty flat to me. The only way Jones definitely could have "cost us" the game is "if" the rest of game would have played out exactly the way it did after the turnover "if" the Texans did not score on that drive. Then "if" Yates had not thrown interceptions, and "if" the Texans would have still made a goal line stand in the "same" circumstances since early in first quarter had been "exactly" the same, then yes, the Texans could have had a tie game and went into overtime. But "if" the Texans would have played flawless ball and "if" the Ravens would have lost fumbles and Ed Reed's timing had been off in those situations, then yes, it's Jones fault.

I actually believe that Kubiak is a stand up guy who is not going to throw any of his players to the wolves and he did a really good thing IMO of not publically making the botched play any worse than it already was. I believe this will be Jones last season as a Texan and it is time for him to move on. How he performs on a different team will reveal that he gained enough experience to continue his NFL career, or he will leave the league and pursue other endeavors.

I'm very frugal, so before you start burning good merchandise I'll take it off your hands. I probably won't keep it, but Ebay is a good business resource.

With al that said, that loss was very disappointing and heartbreaking.

We watched the same game most likely, perhaps just a different way of interpreting it. This was a game where we could afford no mistakes playing behind a rookie in a hostile environment. Jones made that huge game changing mistake right off the bat by spotting them 7 points and the lead. You cannot afford to play catch up in Baltimore against their D with a rookie as we soon saw. Also, Yates does a much better job when he is ahead (like any QB) so that early TO by Jones put him behind the 8-ball IMHO.

Either way, I agree that Jones will probably not be a factor next season, either because he is not on the team any longer or he rides the pine all season.

Texan_Bill
01-17-2012, 07:16 PM

You--------------> :lol:

Your boy--------> :heh:

thunderkyss
01-17-2012, 07:25 PM
The score was a 7 point difference. Jacoby basically gift wrapping a TD on the 1 yard line certainly cost the team something. Blame it on the rookie, but he did not make a mistake like Jacoby did, who is a 5 year veteran.

At least TJ was trying to make plays. Jacoby was trying to be a dumbass...and he succeeded brilliantly.

Totally understand the argument between a rookie & a 5 year vet..... but Jacoby was trying to make a play as well. A dumb one, but he was trying to make a play.

I think the ball never should have hit the ground to begin with. He should have fair caught it.

& to be fair, Jacoby turned the ball over once. Tj... 3 times. I think that wipes out the "rookie" vs vet argument.

& on top of that, by half-time, we were back in control. Only down by 4 points. It doesn't make sense to blame that game on Jacoby Jones. There were a dozen plays in the second half that we should have made, that would have made up that 4 point difference.

lol! That's funny because Jacoby has been our 'dropped ball' example for years when I throw the football with my boy! :D

Really? This year was a good year for Jacoby, concerning punts & fumbles.

DocBar
01-17-2012, 07:26 PM
I'm very frugal, so before you start burning good merchandise I'll take it off your hands. I probably won't keep it, but Ebay is a good business resource.

burn it, thats silly. i'll trade it for a pack of cigs and a quart. oh wait, a jumbaco[/QUOTE]Sometimes you must stand on principal and burn that SOB to cold, dead ashes; which is what Jones has become to me. I will never use the affectionate JJ in regards to him ever again. I hope he gets cursed with in-grown toe nails and bad teeth. :roast:

kingh99
01-17-2012, 07:26 PM

You might get Blackmon trading Jacoby and Leinart but I'm even more optimistic about getting him with Jacoby, Leinart, used toilet paper, a used snot rag and a preserved hemorroid. And if the other team still plays hard to get, go all in and add a used dildo signed by Rosie ODonnell. The other team's GM will be putty in your hands presented with that array of talent.

DocBar
01-17-2012, 07:31 PM
You might get Blackmon trading Jacoby and Leinart but I'm even more optimistic about getting him with Jacoby, Leinart, used toilet paper, a used snot rag and a preserved hemorroid. And if the other team still plays hard to get, go all in and add a used dildo signed by Rosie ODonnell. The other team's GM will be putty in your hands presented with that array of talent.I bet you could fingerprint that used dildo and find the source of Jone's fumblitis...just sayin...

Joe Texan
01-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Hey Jacoby cost us 7 points and he made a huge mistake in a playoff game. He probably has his days numbered in Houston and that is by his own doing but for idiots that want to make threats to him on twitter, it is A football game and you win and lose but there is no room for bonehead dumbasses tweeting death threats to anyone. Just saying

Dishman
01-17-2012, 09:40 PM

burn it, thats silly. i'll trade it for a pack of cigs and a quart. oh wait, a jumbaco[/QUOTE]

As far as I a concerned the jumbaco is a legitimate form of currency.

Carr Bombed
01-17-2012, 10:01 PM

A 1987 style Polaroid picture of a burned Jacoby Jones jersey is worth more on Ebay than a actual Jacoby Jones jersey right now.

SheTexan
01-17-2012, 10:17 PM
I'm no huge JJ fan, but, I gotta say this. Has anyone stopped to think how bad JJ feels for what he did? NO EXCUSES, I know that, but, if some of you are hating on him so much, I bet he is hating on himself even more. JJ acts before he thinks, and has been doing that since day one with our team. He made a very stup*d mistake in a crucial game, but, that boy loves our team as much as anyone else. Part of his problem is that he gets TO friggin excited and can't seem to calm himself down. Young, immature, whatever, but, I bet he hurts more than anyone. I feel bad for the boy, I really do!

silvrhand
01-17-2012, 10:38 PM
I'm no huge JJ fan, but, I gotta say this. Has anyone stopped to think how bad JJ feels for what he did? NO EXCUSES, I know that, but, if some of you are hating on him so much, I bet he is hating on himself even more. JJ acts before he thinks, and has been doing that since day one with our team. He made a very stup*d mistake in a crucial game, but, that boy loves our team as much as anyone else. Part of his problem is that he gets TO friggin excited and can't seem to calm himself down. Young, immature, whatever, but, I bet he hurts more than anyone. I feel bad for the boy, I really do!

I feel bad just like I do for people at work that just can't figure how to advance their career. The NFL is full of physically gifted athletes that can't put it together mentally or whatever piece is missing.

That's just the nature of the business.

Carr Bombed
01-17-2012, 10:52 PM
I do NOT feel sorry for Jacoby Jones....sorry.

This is not the first time he's made a boneheaded mistake like this and if anybody else was this incompetent at their jobs they would've been fired a long time ago, the only difference is when he does it he has to hear the outcry of a entire fan base.....but that just goes back to "to whom much is given (millions of dollars) much is expected".

He didn't just "muff a punt". This isn't just a guy who dropped a kick or failed to field a kick. This is a guy who already screwed up on the play and the ball already hit the ground....what is every high school football player taught to do when they fail to field the ball in the air? What he did Sunday was gross negligence and frankly there was no excuse for it, especially since it wasn't the first time it happened to him and wasn't the first time he was disciplined for it. It's basically the equivalent of a guy who shows up on the job drunk and he's told to never do it again....he does it a couple of more times and then the last time he does it, he ends up getting another coworker (in this case 52 other coworkers) critically injured. GROSS NEGLEGENCE....that is what pretty much sums up that play.

Sorry, I have no sympathy for Jones. He's made a fortune despite being completely incompetent and there will still be another 31 "companies" he can submit his resume to....I just hope he's no longer employed here.

chenjy9
01-17-2012, 11:44 PM

I am pretty sure he feels crappy about what happened. Anyone with a shred of competitive spirit would feel terrible. The thing about JJ is that he has been sub par to mediocre for far too long and honestly, I would feel a lot better if he is feeling like crap about his mistakes on a different team.

HJam72
01-18-2012, 08:46 AM
I am pretty sure he feels crappy about what happened. Anyone with a shred of competitive spirit would feel terrible. The thing about JJ is that he has been sub par to mediocre for far too long and honestly, I would feel a lot better if he is feeling like crap about his mistakes on a different team.

Yep. I'm sure he didn't mean to do it and he feels terrible, but it's time he felt bad about crap like that somewhere else. While he's at it, he can feel terrible about never learning to make a cut, and therefore run all his routes right instead of just the ones that don't require a cut. And then there's the dropped passes...

Geez, go away.

TejasTom
01-18-2012, 09:08 AM
The worst part about the Jacoby play was...

It didn't suprise anyone!

Rey
01-18-2012, 09:10 AM
I guess I'll stick up for Jacoby...

I lambasted him when he did that. It was a stupid move. Very stupid. BUT he did the same thing against the Bengals and I didn't here nary a complaint.

Jacoby needs to be taken off of punt duties. That's pretty much the end of it.

Yes he drops some passes, but who doesn't? It's not like all the receivers on the team are killing it and Jacoby is the ugly duckling. Jacoby does some bad things, but he also does some good things. His run blocking has been tremendous this year. Now I'm the first person to say that a WR's run blocking is not something that should be a deciding factor, but I don't think his routes are all that bad either.

Earlier in the year when Shammy was at QB he managed to make Ed Reed look foolish and had him twisting in circles before he caught that long bomb for a TD.

The opening play against Tampa was a pretty good play by Jacoby too.

Dude has made some plays here.

I think part of his problem and part of KW's problem is that they don't have defined roles (or at least as far as I can tell they don't). That is a big problem as far as the QB knowing what is going on with the guys he has on the field.

JMO.

HJam72
01-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Yes, Jacoby runs SOME routes really well. However, I want to see him make a cut. I don't think I've ever seen that. It would be neat to just see it once. Nevermind, just let him go.

Speaking of wide-outs judged simply on their run-blocking, isn't that about all that's keeping Walter on the field these days? I hate to bash him, but dude disappeared for basically the whole season.

DBCooper
01-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Yes, Jacoby runs SOME routes really well. However, I want to see him make a cut. I don't think I've ever seen that. It would be neat to just see it once. Nevermind, just let him go.

Speaking of wide-outs judged simply on their run-blocking, isn't that about all that's keeping Walter on the field these days? I hate to bash him, but dude disappeared for basically the whole season.

I agree.

It would be nice to get a good FA #2 and maybe a promising rookie WR this offseason.

TejasTom
01-18-2012, 09:19 AM
I lambasted him when he did that. It was a stupid move. Very stupid. BUT he did the same thing against the Bengals and I didn't here nary a complaint.

JMO.

I'm not upset that Jacoby tried to make a play,but when he did it. If it was the fourth quarter and we are down by more than one score then yes make something happen.

There was just no reason to do it when he did.

Dutchrudder
01-18-2012, 09:26 AM
It shouldn't be too hard to get rid of Jacoby, just punt a ball to him and tell him the end zone is Houston, and he'll run it back to in Dallas in a few hours.

DBCooper
01-18-2012, 09:31 AM
It shouldn't be too hard to get rid of Jacoby, just punt a ball to him and tell him the end zone is Houston, and he'll run it back to in Dallas in a few hours.

No way Dutch, that's north, maybe El Paso or Atlanta.

Rey
01-18-2012, 09:34 AM
I'm not upset that Jacoby tried to make a play,but when he did it. If it was the fourth quarter and we are down by more than one score then yes make something happen.

There was just no reason to do it when he did.

Again....

He did the same thing against the Bengals. No one complained then.

As a matter of fact, he had done that a couple of times this year. On a few occasions he actually got pas the first line of defenders and picked up decent yardage.

I'm not arguing that it wasn't stupid. I think it was, and I thought it was every time he did it, but I too was guilty of not saying anything about it because...well...it worked...

He hadn't muffed one punt all season and I began to let my guard down regarding him returning punts...and then in the biggest game of the season...BAM....He muffs the punt...then the next series he muffs another...Then he fumbles one out of bounds...

Again, all year he had been sure handed on returns and in this one game in the span of three possessions he had more bad plays back there than he'd had all year.

Maybe he was nervous.

HJam72
01-18-2012, 09:36 AM
If he doesn't take the ball with him, then he has the advantage of nobody trying to tackle him.

chenjy9
01-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Again....

He did the same thing against the Bengals. No one complained then.

As a matter of fact, he had done that a couple of times this year. On a few occasions he actually got pas the first line of defenders and picked up decent yardage.

I'm not arguing that it wasn't stupid. I think it was, and I thought it was every time he did it, but I too was guilty of not saying anything about it because...well...it worked...

He hadn't muffed one punt all season and I began to let my guard down regarding him returning punts...and then in the biggest game of the season...BAM....He muffs the punt...then the next series he muffs another...Then he fumbles one out of bounds...

Again, all year he had been sure handed on returns and in this one game in the span of three possessions he had more bad plays back there than he'd had all year.

Maybe he was nervous.

About the Bengals game, are you referring to the one where the ball hit the ground and he caught it on its way up? If so, I was raging about that in front of my TV and the announcers were like "WTH?!? He was lucky he caught it!" The strange thing about sports is there is a fine line between hero and zero. If JJ had caught that and ran it for good yardage or even a TD, he would be a hero. Instead he fumbled it and became a zero. That being said, a wide out has no excuse for botching a punt return, especially during the playoffs and in a game where our margin of error was essentially none.

steelbtexan
01-18-2012, 10:07 AM
The worst part about the Jacoby play was...

It didn't suprise anyone!

^^^^
This

Sad thing is JJ was looking like he was going to be a star until Hunter (the Punter) Smith broke JJ's collar bone. After that JJ went into a 5yr abyss of of failure. (Fumbles, bad route running, dropped passes, afraid to go across the middle ect...)

JJ was nervous. LOL

If he was so nervous that he was unable to do his job then he should've been replaced and cut after the game. The crap with JJ has gone on for too long. He needs to be cut before TC.

Dont feel sorry for JJ. He's made his millions and partied like it's 1999 in the process. For a man with so little intestinal fortitude he's done quite well for himself. Party On JJ. PT Barnum once said there's a sucker born everyday. In this case that would be Rick and Gary.

Good Riddance

El Tejano
01-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Jacoby recovered a Foster fumble and basically kept us in the game. Oh and by the way, I don't want Jacoby to just get a free ride on to this team next year. I still want a FA and drafted WR.

steelbtexan
01-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Jacoby recovered a Foster fumble and basically kept us in the game. Oh and by the way, I don't want Jacoby to just get a free ride on to this team next year. I still want a FA and drafted WR.

It says something that a guy who's been in the NFL for 5 yrs, in the biggest game of his career, his one contribution was he happened to be standing around awhen AF fumbled and he fell on it. Where was this great blocking people keep talking about on that play?

LOL, see ya JJ.

steelbtexan
01-18-2012, 10:19 AM
No way Dutch, that's north, maybe El Paso or Atlanta.

New Orleans

Mr. White
01-18-2012, 10:35 AM
I started this thread during the first Cincinnati game when Jacoby pulled up on the bomb from Yates. I hope everyone that thinks this a knee-jerk thread over the muffed punt takes a look at when it was started.

He got his contract, so this was the season he was supposed to "get serious." The last straw for me was after the Oakland game when he was supposed to step in for AJ. Schaub targeted him 11 times and he only caught 1 ball for 9 yards. The guy was such garbage that we had to bring in Jurassic Mason.

I understand why some people in this thread are sticking up for him. He's been here 5 years, you guys got his jersey, you guys know his mom, and you guys have probably even met him a few times. But it's time to face facts. The guy isn't trying to get better. As a matter of fact, he's way worse now than he was his rookie year.

Just another guy that got his contract and mentally checked out.

Dread-Head
01-18-2012, 10:38 AM
I guess I'll stick up for Jacoby...

Yes he drops some passes, but who doesn't? It's not like all the receivers on the team are killing it and Jacoby is the ugly duckling. Jacoby does some bad things, but he also does some good things. His run blocking has been tremendous this year. Now I'm the first person to say that a WR's run blocking is not something that should be a deciding factor, but I don't think his routes are all that bad either.

Earlier in the year when Shammy was at QB he managed to make Ed Reed look foolish and had him twisting in circles before he caught that long bomb for a TD.

The opening play against Tampa was a pretty good play by Jacoby too.

Dude has made some plays here.

I think part of his problem and part of KW's problem is that they don't have defined roles (or at least as far as I can tell they don't). That is a big problem as far as the QB knowing what is going on with the guys he has on the field.

JMO.

I have to begrudgingly agree. J.J. should just be taken off returns.

Rey
01-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Dont feel sorry for JJ. He's made his millions and partied like it's 1999 in the process. For a man with so little intestinal fortitude he's done quite well for himself. Party On JJ. PT Barnum once said there's a sucker born everyday. In this case that would be Rick and Gary.

Good Riddance

Just because someone has a lot of money doesn't mean that I can't feel for them...

But that said...I don't feel for Jacoby...

I never said that I did...It was a dumb play. Period.

But that's not why he needs to never be our primary punt returner again...

Double Barrel
01-18-2012, 11:26 AM
There was concern about JJ this season:

Jacoby Jones is just not a good WR (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85740&highlight=jacoby+jones) - started 10-09-2011

Here's the thread from the summer when they resigned him:

Jacoby Jones has re-signed with Houston (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83338&highlight=jacoby+jones&page=2)

And one of my takes about the deal:

Just know that the only thing that will alter my opinion is JJ actually proving himself to be a consistent player on the field. History is on my side of the fence with this one. For the sake of our team, I hope that I am proven wrong.

And I was not proven wrong!!

Totally understand the argument between a rookie & a 5 year vet..... but Jacoby was trying to make a play as well. A dumb one, but he was trying to make a play.

I think the ball never should have hit the ground to begin with. He should have fair caught it.

& to be fair, Jacoby turned the ball over once. Tj... 3 times. I think that wipes out the "rookie" vs vet argument.

The basic fallacy of your argument is comparing a punt returner to a QB.

The former has one freakin' job, and it's simple. Make one of three choices: fair catch the ball, catch and run, or let it bounce until downed.

SIMPLE!!!

You know as well as I do that the complexities of the QB position on this team is 1000x more demanding and complicated than being a return man.

And the return guy? A FIVE YEAR VETERAN!

It's not even apples and oranges. It's comparing marshmallows to a Corvette. Not even close to being comparable.

& on top of that, by half-time, we were back in control. Only down by 4 points.

No disrespect, dude, but this is just laughable take. We were not in control with a four point deficit against a Ravens defense. Being in control usually means that a team has a lead. But, the Texans never had the lead after 3-0 and Jacoby gift wrapped a turnover to basically give the Ravens a TD and momentum in the game.

It doesn't make sense to blame that game on Jacoby Jones.

It does not make sense TO YOU. But the majority of Texans fans vehemently disagree with you and see it for what it was in terms of score and momentum.

There were a dozen plays in the second half that we should have made, that would have made up that 4 point difference.

Teams play different with a lead as compared to a deficit. If Schaub was QB, I'd tend to agree with you. But, you are asking an inexperienced rookie QB to make plays against a great defense as some kind of justification for letting Jacoby off the hook for his stupid decisions?

Really? This year was a good year for Jacoby, concerning punts & fumbles.

I won't disagree with you, simply because you quantified your statement with "for Jacoby".

But, dude is a liability to this team and ultimately helped deflate this team and be one of the reasons they are not playing next Sunday in Foxboro.

Objectively speaking, TJ certainly shares part of the blame. However, he played how folks expected him to play. And in that regard, Jacoby Jones played like I expected him to play, too.

drs23
01-18-2012, 06:32 PM
I have to begrudgingly agree. J.J. should just be taken off the team.

fify

Brandon420tx
01-18-2012, 06:43 PM
summer when they resigned him:

Jacoby Jones has re-signed with Houston (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83338&highlight=jacoby+jones&page=2)

I like the second post in that thread
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1732116&postcount=2

gary
01-18-2012, 09:26 PM
1. They should have re-signed Leach not JJ.
2. He should have been taken off punt returns long ago
3. He should not have been put back in the game on Sunday
I don't know about you but that spells out Gary Kubiak more than it does JJ IMHO.

Nitrofish
01-18-2012, 09:40 PM
You hate to hang it on one guy... they win together and they lose together. Having said that I cannot understand why he was anywhere near that ball and over the last month I have noticed him trying to play that game of waving other players off as if to say do not touch it, only to grab the ball at the last second and try to make something exciting happen. Well he finally succeeded in that I guess.

Boneheaded play and I do not see him on the team next season.

thunderkyss
01-19-2012, 08:53 AM

I see what you're saying.

I'm sure Jacoby feels bad.. real bad. But some of the stuff we're reading on this board, twitter, whatever.... is juvenile bull.

It's just a game, & some people obviously have too much invested.

Jacoby was a good punt returner this year. Obviously the big stage was just too big for him. But it's ridiculous (imo) to blame the loss of a 60 minute game on an muffed punt that happened 5 minutes in.

We were only down by 4 at the half, that doesn't put any undue "pressure" on an offense or a rookie QB to not score for the last 30 minutes of a football game.

thunderkyss
01-19-2012, 12:49 PM

This is not the first time he's made a boneheaded mistake like this and if anybody else was this incompetent at their jobs they would've been fired a long time ago, the only difference is when he does it he has to hear the outcry of a entire fan base.....but that just goes back to "to whom much is given (millions of dollars) much is expected".

I'm not expecting anyone to feel sorry for Jacoby. He is what he is & he did what he did.

It's completly understandable that he would get some blow back.

I'm just saying some posters (& far as I can recall I don't put you in that group) are way too emotionally attached & are going over board with the rhetoric.

I think.

False Start
01-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Here's the thread from the summer when they resigned him:

Yep, looks like we were both in agreement about the signing.

Yaaaay....:kitten:

I wonder if he dropped the pen when he was signing the contract?

:heh:

Pretty much everyone who posted in the thread were not excited about it. It was a good read. :cool:

Double Barrel
01-19-2012, 01:17 PM
One of his former coaches, Coach Smith, was being interviewed by one of the local stations yesterday afternoon. He is still good friends with the Jones family and had spoken with Jacoby after the game.

Some things he said was interesting, like Jacoby has never matured, still has the mentality of an 18 yo. He mentioned that Jacoby has always had this problem of taking risky chances when he should be playing it safe. And he said that his conversation since the game was revealing, because Jacoby was telling him that he's not the only one that made a mistake in the game, basically deflecting the spotlight away from himself.

Take it fwiw, but interesting to hear from a former coach and someone that is still friends with Jacoby and his family. Coach Smith closed the interview by saying that Jacoby would be better served with a second chance on another team, and if he did not change his ways, he did not see Jacoby in the league three years from now. It was a pretty blunt assessment.

False Start
01-19-2012, 01:24 PM
One of his former coaches, Coach Smith, was being interviewed by one of the local stations yesterday afternoon. He is still good friends with the Jones family and had spoken with Jacoby after the game.

Some things he said was interesting, like Jacoby has never matured, still has the mentality of an 18 yo. He mentioned that Jacoby has always had this problem of taking risky chances when he should be playing it safe. And he said that his conversation since the game was revealing, because Jacoby was telling him that he's not the only one that made a mistake in the game, basically deflecting the spotlight away from himself.

Take it fwiw, but interesting to hear from a former coach and someone that is still friends with Jacoby and his family. Coach Smith closed the interview by saying that Jacoby would be better served with a second chance on another team, and if he did not change his ways, he did not see Jacoby in the league three years from now. It was a pretty blunt assessment.

I heard that too. None of it surprised me, the dude just don't have it, and I don't think he ever will.

Double Barrel
01-19-2012, 01:26 PM
I heard that too. None of it surprised me, the dude just don't have it, and I don't think he ever will.

It did not surprise me either, at least what he said about Jacoby. And the fact that this is a tendency that goes back to high school, and he's now a 5 year veteran in the NFL? Says as much about the staff that keeps him as it does about the player!

GuerillaBlack
01-19-2012, 01:45 PM

Not surprised at all. Jacoby just gives off that vibe.

Rey
01-19-2012, 03:10 PM
A friend of the family blast him like that for the public to see?

That's kind of a strange situation...

I wonder if he had this conversation with him in private and Jacoby didn't respond so he then went public.

welsh texan
01-19-2012, 03:22 PM
31 receptions for 512 yards, 2 TD, 2 Fum, in a season when this guy should have taken the opportunity to play WR1 for 11 games.

Forget about one bonehead play, the above stat line is all I need to see when I ask myself if I want him back. The money we're paying him and Walter, you could sign a high level FA and a first round draft pick with some change.

Btw, those stats were a regression from his 2010 numbers, despite the fact that he had AJ out most of the season this year.

Joeycharp89
01-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Ya for me it's not just his muffed punt in one game, it his overall play this season. I just don't see any reason for him to be regressing. He's young and healthy, and he has the athleticism to make just as big of plays as Andre does. He just don't seem to have the drive. I guess I can live with that if he's resigned to being WR3 for the rest of his career, or maybe even just a back up. But I don't think we need to keep him around if that is all he is aspiring for.

I'd rather have had Bryant Johnson playing, at least she showed some good effort when he played against Tennessee.

Marcus
01-19-2012, 03:49 PM
I don't expect to see Jacoby Jones on this team by next TC, no matter what Kubiak has said, and no matter what his contract reads.

He's damaged goods in this town, and the team knows it. Fans might forgive his mistake, but there is no way they can forget it. Yes, players make mistakes, and sometimes they can real bone-headed mistakes, but the mistake Jacoby made, went to a whole different level.

He'll be cut sometime during the off-season. I'm absolutely confident in that.

Rey
01-19-2012, 03:50 PM
I don't expect to see Jacoby Jones on this team by next TC, no matter what Kubiak has said, and no matter what his contract reads.

He's damaged goods in this town, and the team knows it. Fans might forgive his mistake, but there is no way they can forget it. Yes, players make mistakes, and sometimes they can real bone-headed mistakes, but the mistake Jacoby made, went to a whole different level.

He'll be cut sometime during the off-season. I'm absolutely confident in that.

Wouldn't be any tear from me...

Cut him/keep him as a filler player I don't care...

Whatever the outcome, he cannot be our punt returner anymore..

welsh texan
01-19-2012, 04:12 PM
And there is another interesting point Rey...

There has to be some accountability from the coaching staff, why on earth are they giving punt return duties to a 5 year vet WR who they are hoping to progress into a #2 role??

Surely thats extra practice time etc. they are taking away from him on his route running and pass catching.

You can get any rookie to make a decent fist of PR duty, it isn't the most skilled position in the sport, and would have made some good use of one of those young DB's we seem to have about 2 dozen of kicking around doing nothing.

Instead we continue to ask Jacoby to perform both roles despite it being crunch time in his career and his pretty shaky record, sure he breaks off a TD return once every couple of years, but he doesn't seem to make consistent gains for the other 31 games he's fielding them. Throw in the silly mistakes, and you have a pretty damning case for not putting the guy on PR duty.

Rey
01-19-2012, 04:35 PM
And there is another interesting point Rey...

There has to be some accountability from the coaching staff, why on earth are they giving punt return duties to a 5 year vet WR who they are hoping to progress into a #2 role??

Surely thats extra practice time etc. they are taking away from him on his route running and pass catching.

You can get any rookie to make a decent fist of PR duty, it isn't the most skilled position in the sport, and would have made some good use of one of those young DB's we seem to have about 2 dozen of kicking around doing nothing.

Instead we continue to ask Jacoby to perform both roles despite it being crunch time in his career and his pretty shaky record, sure he breaks off a TD return once every couple of years, but he doesn't seem to make consistent gains for the other 31 games he's fielding them. Throw in the silly mistakes, and you have a pretty damning case for not putting the guy on PR duty.

Welker returns punts...

I know that just because he does it doesn't mean everyone can, but lmit can be done...

I get what you are saying though and I agree to a certain extent...I think a bigger problem was not having Schaub in there and the fact that we played in closer games or ahead more this year resulting in a more balanced attack whereas in years past we leaned on the throwing game more...

I don't think it was all Jacoby although he surely is not totally free of blame.

jaayteetx
01-19-2012, 05:07 PM

I got that feeling from watching him in pregame in Tampa. He let the Tampa fans get the best of him and he started cussing at them. I know Kubiak says he has come a long way but that showed a lack of proffesionalism and maturity to me.

cbs1507
01-19-2012, 06:30 PM
1. They should have re-signed Leach not JJ.
2. He should have been taken off punt returns long ago
3. He should not have been put back in the game on Sunday
I don't know about you but that spells out Gary Kubiak more than it does JJ IMHO.

Why? He's not the one who threw 3 INTs. In fact, if we took him out the game then who would have fallen on Foster's fumble. That's about as close as Jacoby was going to get to redemption because he got ZERO TARGETS in the 2011-2012 playoffs. You guys can bash him all you want, but he can't throw it to himself. Yates was chucking the ball into coverage all game, and people blame Jacoby for us losing. Get over it.

cbs1507
01-19-2012, 06:35 PM

This is not the first time he's made a boneheaded mistake like this

When the last time he made a boneheaded mistake? Was it in the playoffs?

It's funny how people can overlook 3 bonheaded INTs and excuse it because "he's a rookie". But you bash this guy for 1 boneheaded mistake IN THE FIRST QUARTER. We had 3 TOs after his mistake. All of them were from 1 player, TJ Yates.

thunderkyss
01-19-2012, 07:01 PM
No disrespect, dude, but this is just laughable take. We were not in control with a four point deficit against a Ravens defense. Being in control usually means that a team has a lead.

We cut the lead by 4 points with a rookie QB. We ran the ball for 95 yards in the first half against the league's #2 rush defense. We were on the road & this was the divisional round of the AFC Play-offs.

That's really not a bad position to be in considering.

But, the Texans never had the lead after 3-0 and Jacoby gift wrapped a turnover to basically give the Ravens a TD and momentum in the game.

if anything, cutting the lead to 4 points, running for 95 yards at the half... if there is any such thing as momentum, we had it..... then we start the 3rd qtr with a defensive 3 & out... yeah, we had the momentum.

It does not make sense TO YOU. But the majority of Texans fans vehemently disagree with you and see it for what it was in terms of score and momentum.

Teams play different with a lead as compared to a deficit. If Schaub was QB, I'd tend to agree with you. But, you are asking an inexperienced rookie QB to make plays against a great defense as some kind of justification for letting Jacoby off the hook for his stupid decisions?

Re-read what I have wrote. Jacoby deserves to be criticized & chastized & held accountable for his contributions to that loss.... I only said some of our fans are going a little overboard.

If we were to win that game, his fall on Arian's fumble would have made up for the muffed punt.

Jacoby's muff led to a 4 point deficit, not 7. A 4 point deficit is nothing to change your game plan over.

I won't disagree with you, simply because you quantified your statement with "for Jacoby".

I didn't say a good year "for" Jacoby. I said Jacoby had a good year as a punt returner, he was selected as an alternate to the pro-bowl as a returner. He didn't muff any punts in the regular season & I think he was one of the leading punt returners in the league.

Jacoby improved his game quite a bit this season. We hadn't talked about Jacoby's punt returns for 18 weeks.

Wolf
01-19-2012, 07:50 PM
It is sad when I saw the ball bounce off of Jacoby Jones, my first thought was "stagger lee"
I am not kidding either

gary
01-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Why? He's not the one who threw 3 INTs. In fact, if we took him out the game then who would have fallen on Foster's fumble. That's about as close as Jacoby was going to get to redemption because he got ZERO TARGETS in the 2011-2012 playoffs. You guys can bash him all you want, but he can't throw it to himself. Yates was chucking the ball into coverage all game, and people blame Jacoby for us losing. Get over it.If you read the whole thread then you would see that I have done anything but blame Jones for the loss as a matter of fact I have been one of the very few through out this thread to defend him.

Luv_ya_blue
01-19-2012, 09:59 PM
I didn't say a good year "for" Jacoby. I said Jacoby had a good year as a punt returner, he was selected as an alternate to the pro-bowl as a returner. He didn't muff any punts in the regular season & I think he was one of the leading punt returners in the league.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticPositionCategory=PUNT_RETURNER&season=2011&seasonType=REG&experience=null&tabSeq=1&qualified=true&Submit=Go

REGULAR SEASON:
3rd in league with Return yards... (518 yds)
26th in NFL by average returns in ypc... (10.6 ypc on 49 returns)
9th in longest return... (79T)
Tied for 3rd in TDs... (with 14 other players)
Tied for 5th with 20+ ypc... (with 3 other players)
Tied for 1st with 40+ ypc... (with 1 other player)
Tied for 31st in Fair Catch Category... (with 7)
Tied for last with Zero Fumbles Lost in regular season

POSTSEASON:
Tied for 7th out of 10 in total Return yards... (16 yds)
Dead last in league by average returns in ypc... (1.8 ypc on 9 returns)
7th out of 9 in longest return... (9 yds)
No ranking in TDs in postseason
No ranking in 20+ ypc
No ranking in 40+ ypc
Dead last in league in Fair Catches... (with 0)
1st place with Fumbles Lost in postseason... (with 2)

Regular Seaons numbers aren't too bad
Postseason numbers were horrendous imo.
And since postseason is where heroes are made...
Well, it speaks for itself.

thunderkyss
01-19-2012, 10:04 PM
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticPositionCategory=PUNT_RETURNER&season=2011&seasonType=REG&experience=null&tabSeq=1&qualified=true&Submit=Go

Tied for last with Zero Fumbles Lost in regular season

Last? Zero lost? doesn't make sense does it?

Regular Seaons numbers aren't too bad
Postseason numbers were horrendous imo.
And since postseason is where heroes are made...
Well, it speaks for itself.

Understood, never said any different.

TheMatrix31
01-19-2012, 10:08 PM
We're still talking about this loser?

Luv_ya_blue
01-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Last? Zero lost? doesn't make sense does it?

Understood, never said any different.

Meaning that he didn't lose any fumbles during the reg. season. And he was tied with a bunch of other guys that didn't lose any either. Couldn't really figure out how to word it...and I'm pretty much beat and headed off to bed.

And I didn't say you didn't say otherwise. I didn't read through the whole thread...I just happened to glance down and see your comment; so I thought that I'd check into the stats.

thunderkyss
01-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Meaning that he didn't lose any fumbles during the reg. season. And he was tied with a bunch of other guys that didn't lose any either. Couldn't really figure out how to word it...and I'm pretty much beat and headed off to bed..

Now it makes complete sense.

Funny thing.. I was actually impressed with Jj's hands this year, especially on punts.

It got so bad, that I was not expecting it. When the season started, I crossed my fingers & said a little prayer every time they punted to him. Then all of a sudden, I stopped doing it.. felt it was no longer needed.

Then that happened.

Carr Bombed
01-19-2012, 10:29 PM

It's funny how people can overlook 3 bonheaded INTs and excuse it because "he's a rookie". But you bash this guy for 1 boneheaded mistake IN THE FIRST QUARTER. We had 3 TOs after his mistake. All of them were from 1 player, TJ Yates.

:mariopalm:

You can not be serious. You HAVE to be to Jacoby Jones what Hulk75 was to David Carr. LOL

DocBar
01-19-2012, 11:15 PM
Why is this thread still alive and JJ still on the team? I guess I need to call Bob and let him know whats up.

cbs1507
01-20-2012, 12:50 AM
If you read the whole thread then you would see that I have done anything but blame Jones for the loss as a matter of fact I have been one of the very few through out this thread to defend him.

My apologies. I guess I caught a case of selective reading. ;)

cbs1507
01-20-2012, 01:39 AM

You can not be serious. You HAVE to be to Jacoby Jones what Hulk75 was to David Carr. LOL

So you actually think a TO in the first quarter was more impactful than 3 INTs during the course of the game? Yes it led to 7. But Yates threw a boneheaded pick to AJ by staring him down 2 possessions later. It led TD as well. So both of them accounted for 14 Ravens points in the 1st quarter. Well we came back to within 4. Yates ended up throwing 2 more INTs. Jacoby fell on Foster's fumble and was targeted ZERO times (because Yates was too busy staring down AJ and throwing into triple coverage with a clean pocket instead of taking advantage of 1 on 1 coverage that every other receiver had). I'm sorry you can't pin this one on Jacoby no matter how much you are discontent with his production.

GuerillaBlack
01-20-2012, 02:17 AM
So you actually think a TO in the first quarter was more impactful than 3 INTs during the course of the game? Yes it led to 7. But Yates threw a boneheaded pick to AJ by staring him down 2 possessions later. It led TD as well. So both of them accounted for 14 Ravens points in the 1st quarter. Well we came back to within 4. Yates ended up throwing 2 more INTs. Jacoby fell on Foster's fumble and was targeted ZERO times (because Yates was too busy staring down AJ and throwing into triple coverage with a clean pocket instead of taking advantage of 1 on 1 coverage that every other receiver had). I'm sorry you can't pin this one on Jacoby no matter how much you are discontent with his production.

Yates was a ROOKIE, in his eighth start, going against a top three defense on the road and in the playoffs. Compare that to Jacoby, who is a five year vet and essentially gave the Ravens seven free points, since they got the ball on the one yard line. He made a mistake that high schoolers don't even make. Interceptions happen, but muffed punts aren't suppose to happen. If you can't see the difference in that, then I don't know what to tell you.

TheMatrix31
01-20-2012, 05:21 AM
Quarterbacks throw picks. That stupidity happens.

Fielding a punt that already hit the ground 10 yards out of your own end zone after a 3-and-out up 3 points in the playoffs on the road is unacceptable. People can slice it any ****ing way they want.

THAT. CANT. HAPPEN.

thunderkyss
01-20-2012, 05:45 AM
Quarterbacks throw picks. That stupidity happens.

Fielding a punt that already hit the ground 10 yards out of your own end zone after a 3-and-out up 3 points in the playoffs on the road is unacceptable. People can slice it any ****ing way they want.

THAT. CANT. HAPPEN.

Like I said, I understand being upset at Jacoby, no way that should have happened. He should be held accountable.

At the same time, that is not the reason we lost that game. If it didn't happen, it is highly unlikely we could go on, commit 3 turnovers (you know interceptions just happen) & still expect to win that game. That just don't happen, especially not against the Ravens.

I understand Yates getting the. Pass. He's a rookie, playing a top 3 defense, on the road, in the play-offs.

Doesn't mean his turn-overs don't affect the outcome of the game. It's more likely that we win the game if Tj protected the ball & played it safe, like the Bengals game, than if Jacoby fair caught that ball.

2012Champs
01-20-2012, 08:11 AM
Yates was a ROOKIE, in his eighth start, going against a top three defense on the road and in the playoffs. Compare that to Jacoby, who is a five year vet and essentially gave the Ravens seven free points, since they got the ball on the one yard line. He made a mistake that high schoolers don't even make. Interceptions happen, but muffed punts aren't suppose to happen. If you can't see the difference in that, then I don't know what to tell you.

lets stop this rookie, ints happens stuff. Truth is Yates cost us more points than Jones did. Yates very easily could have been on the hook for 5-6 ints that game.

Who cost us the game? Multiple people

Yates 3 ints
Jones fumble
Rackers missed fg
Turk shanked punt

all those led to points for the ravens.

we could also add

Foster fumble(no points by the ravens because JJ recovered)

TheMatrix31
01-20-2012, 08:11 AM
I don't give a pass to Yates. I yelled "seriously, what the **** are you doing, dumbass" for about 5 minutes after each pick he threw. I don't even blame him for the last one as I do it being a terrible playcall.

But, Jacoby's was bigger, and I really don't care what anyone says. You can take one of the Yates' picks away, and 7 points go away. You can also take one of Yates' away and 3 points go away. Terrible throws.

Jacoby's was the most inexcusable of all. Bottom line.

2012Champs
01-20-2012, 08:13 AM
I don't give a pass to Yates. I yelled "seriously, what the **** are you doing, dumbass" for about 5 minutes after each pick he threw.

But, Jacoby's was bigger, and I really don't care what anyone says.

the only way JJ fumble for 7 is or was bigger is if you are too emotional about it.

3 ints gave the ravens points and cost us points end of story

amazing80
01-20-2012, 08:18 AM
why is Jones still on this team? :vincepalm:

Texan_Bill

Ummmm... Yeah, it was in the playoffs. Our last game.

Try "boneheaded" plays his entire 5 year overpaid career.

When you have a rookie quarterback (who carried a clipboard for the first 10 games of the season) starting in the playoffs, on the road no less, you need to play from ahead - NOT BEHIND. Jacoby's "boneheadedness" single handedly changed that. We were up 3-0 and the defense had just forced a 3 and out giving us the ball back. In short, the defense gave up less than 10 yards, yet we were down 7-3... Thanks Jacoby!!!!!

TheMatrix31
the only way JJ fumble for 7 is or was bigger is if you are too emotional about it.

Given that Jacoby's was by FAR the worse football blunder, put them at the ONE yard line so they don't even have to WORK for it, right after a 3-and-out, right after we came out and punched them in the mouth, against Baltimore, on the road, in the playoffs...you know, given all those situational things, Jacoby's was much MUCH worse.

I really don't see how it's debatable.

In fact, I think our inability to score on NON-INT-drives were a much bigger deal than the picks themselves seeing as how despite those INTs costing us 10 points, we had like 8 opportunities to cash in and get points of our own after defensive stops, but didn't.

Not even worth discussing. They're going on because of our failures. **** Jacoby AND TJ. AND Albert Haynesworth.

Texan_Bill
01-20-2012, 08:20 AM
Jacoby had 31 receptions in the 9 games that Dre missed. Pathetic!!!

TheMatrix31
01-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Jacoby had 31 receptions in the 9 games that Dre missed. Pathetic!!!

That worthless mother****er had like THIRTEEN targets in the Oakland game and caught ONE.

2012Champs
01-20-2012, 08:26 AM
Given that Jacoby's was by FAR the worse football blunder, put them at the ONE yard line so they don't even have to WORK for it, right after a 3-and-out, right after we came out and punched them in the mouth, against Baltimore, on the road, in the playoffs...you know, given all those situational things, Jacoby's was much MUCH worse.

I really don't see how it's debatable.

In fact, I think our inability to score on NON-INT-drives were a much bigger deal than the picks themselves seeing as how despite those INTs costing us 10 points, we had like 8 opportunities to cash in and get points of our own after defensive stops, but didn't.

Not even worth discussing. They're going on because of our failures. **** Jacoby AND TJ. AND Albert Haynesworth.

so you acknowledge JJ cost us 7 and INTs cost us 10(plus the ability to score) and you also acknowledge that Yates couldnt score in general and then you still state you dont know how anyone could debate that Jones cost us the game? crazy

Texan_Bill
01-20-2012, 08:44 AM

5 year, $10 million blunder > 3rd string, clipboard carrying rookie

TheMatrix31
01-20-2012, 08:51 AM
so you acknowledge JJ cost us 7 and INTs cost us 10(plus the ability to score) and you also acknowledge that Yates couldnt score in general and then you still state you dont know how anyone could debate that Jones cost us the game? crazy

Yep. Because one could EXPECT Yates and the offense to have trouble moving the ball for consistent points against the Ravens' D, on the road, in the playoffs.

But one shouldn't expect a ****head to field a punt that ALREADY HIT THE GROUND, 10 yards deep in his zone.

Ever consider that Yates forcing to Andre on that first pick is a direct result of him feeling the burden of having to come out firing to make up for Jacoby Jones' blunder and the free 7 points given to the Ravens?

2012Champs
01-20-2012, 08:52 AM
5 year, $10 million blunder > 3rd string, clipboard carrying rookie

Like I said it must be too emotional for you to think clearly. Yates isnt a clipboard carry rookie. 7 Starts removes your clipboard status. Facts are 4 players cost us points in the game and Yates led the crowd. Not only did he lead in giving points to the Ravens, his ints directly impact our ability to score on offense. Also mentioned earlier in the thread even when he didnt throw INTS he still couldnt score.

Yates cost us the most points
JJ 2nd
Rackers 3rd
Turk 4th

It really is that simple

2012Champs
01-20-2012, 08:56 AM
Yep. Because one could EXPECT Yates and the offense to have trouble moving the ball for consistent points against the Ravens' D, on the road, in the playoffs.

But one shouldn't expect a ****head to field a punt that ALREADY HIT THE GROUND, 10 yards deep in his zone.

Ever consider that Yates forcing to Andre on that first pick is a direct result of him feeling the burden of having to come out firing to make up for Jacoby Jones' blunder and the free 7 points given to the Ravens?

So you expected Yates to cause or WR to play more as DBs during the game? You expected Yates to have 3 picks that could have easily been 5-6? You expect our offense to call it game over in the first quarter being down 4 points 5 minutes into the game? If you as a QB cant break out of your 16 PPG average and you throw 3 ints you dont win the game for your team. If you cant overcome a 4 point deficit 5 minutes into the game you were never going to make it far in the playoffs

TheMatrix31
01-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Like I said it must be too emotional for you to think clearly. Yates isnt a clipboard carry rookie. 7 Starts removes your clipboard status. Facts are 4 players cost us points in the game and Yates led the crowd. Not only did he lead in giving points to the Ravens, his ints directly impact our ability to score on offense. Also mentioned earlier in the thread even when he didnt throw INTS he still couldnt score.

JJ 2nd
Rackers 3rd
Turk 4th

It really is that simple

Another thing to look at would be...

Yates, for all his failures, "only" cost us 10 points.

Jacoby, for ONE INEXPLICABLE failure cost us 7.

Just a bit of perspective there too. So are we going to just look at numbers and say Yates was more devastating?

It's KINDA (not a perfect analogy) be like saying a guy who went 7-21 (33%) cost his team more than a guy who went 2-14 (14%), because he missed 14 shots and 2-14 guy only missed 12 shots.

All about percentages.

TheMatrix31
01-20-2012, 08:59 AM
So you expected Yates to cause or WR to play more as DBs during the game? You expected Yates to have 3 picks that could have easily been 5-6? You expect our offense to call it game over in the first quarter being down 4 points 5 minutes into the game? If you as a QB cant break out of your 16 PPG average and you throw 3 ints you dont win the game for your team. If you cant overcome a 4 point deficit 5 minutes into the game you were never going to make it far in the playoffs

You're not just overcoming a 4 point deficit. Get that through your ****ing head. The Ravens didnt get the ball and have a 70 yard drive to score. They didn't score on their own volition. It's not just any normal 4 point deficit. It was a catastrophic miscue that absolutely destroyed any semblance of momentum for a team that needed to not GIVE the Ravens any ****ing gifts.

2012Champs
01-20-2012, 09:05 AM
Another thing to look at would be...

Yates, for all his failures, "only" cost us 10 points.

Jacoby, for ONE INEXPLICABLE failure cost us 7.

Just a bit of perspective there too. So are we going to just look at numbers and say Yates was more devastating?

It's KINDA (not a perfect analogy) be like saying a guy who went 7-21 (33%) cost his team more than a guy who went 2-14 (14%), because he missed 14 shots and 2-14 guy only missed 12 shots.

All about percentages.

Are you really trying to say Yates only cost us 10? That seems a little off when every INT stopped our drives. Every almost INT 2-3 cost us downs. Missed opportunities. If you are going to say that how many points did JJ fumble recovery save us? Did JJ fumble recovery give the O a chance to keep going and score? Your use of fg %s is invalid and how on earth you could attempt to apply it here is mind boggling

Yates turned the ball over more and cost us more points than JJ there is no rookie adjustments to FACTS, rookie adjustments or forgiveness is an emotional response

Texan_Bill
01-20-2012, 09:07 AM

JJ 2nd
Rackers 3rd
Turk 4th

It really is that simple

When starting a rooking QB, on the road and in the playoffs it is imperative that you play from ahead. We had that lead and we were about to get the ball back. Jacoby's jackassery cost us not only the lead but also momentum. Dude has had five years to make a difference and then makes a costly, costly mistake like that dumbass play AND nearly lost another on the very next punt.

I don't fault Jacoby that much in the same way you can't blame a dog for being a dog. I blame Kubes because 6 returns for a whopping 4 yards and Jacoby's history is awesome. :rolleyes:

2012Champs
01-20-2012, 09:08 AM
You're not just overcoming a 4 point deficit. Get that through your ****ing head. The Ravens didnt get the ball and have a 70 yard drive to score. They didn't score on their own volition. It's not just any normal 4 point deficit. It was a catastrophic miscue that absolutely destroyed any semblance of momentum for a team that needed to not GIVE the Ravens any ****ing gifts.

Like I said if your team cant overcome being down 4 points 5 minutes into the game you werent going to make it anywhere in the playoffs.

Lets talk about the destroyed nature of being down 4 points with 55 mins of playing time left. Our defense dominated the game, they never lost momentum. Our offense never had momentum starting the game, we had a 50+ yard kickoff return that netted us a FG. Holy smokes Im sure that fired up the offense. Our team wasnt destroyed by JJ mistake

2012Champs
01-20-2012, 09:10 AM
When starting a rooking QB, on the road and in the playoffs it is imperative that you play from ahead. We had that lead and we were about to get the ball back. Jacoby's jackassery cost us not only the lead but also momentum. Dude has had five years to make a difference and then makes a costly, costly mistake like that dumbass play AND nearly lost another on the very next punt.

I don't fault Jacoby that much in the same way you can't blame a dog for being a dog. I blame Kubes because 6 returns for a whopping 4 yards and Jacoby's history is awesome. :rolleyes:

Yeah I guess JJ is responsible for return coverage too now? lol Blame him for everything.

Forgive the rookie and find a villain its emotional and gives you closure so you can feel better

Just so we are clear. I dont want to see JJ back next year either but the extent he is getting blamed for our Team's loss is crazy

Ole Miss Texan
01-20-2012, 09:13 AM

Look at the situation of those though.

We started the game with momentum from Manning's 60 yard kickoff return. Get 2 completions, a first down and then kick a field goal to be up 3-0 on the road.

Then we kickoff and it starts shaky for the Ravens. I think they fumbled on the kick return but recovered it. Our defense stops Rice and Flacco, forcing a 3 and out. They're forced to punt the ball.

So now we're getting the ball back with all the momentum you could ask for to start the divisional round of the playoffs on the road. Instead of going down and scoring to be up 6-0 or 10-0... Jacoby fumbles the ball, giving it to them on the 2 yard line. Now we're down 3-7.... much different. We're down early, the momentum has definitely shifted... and now we've got our rookie 3rd stringer that's having to lead us from behind against one of the toughest teams in the AFC on the road.

Did Yates make some boneheaded throws? Yes. I actually like the fact he threw it downfield some and even tried to force it to AJ, one of the best WRs in the game, to make a play or two. But I did not like how it seemed he would lock onto his receiver.

But it's a no brainer for me. Jacoby's fumble at the beginning of the game was the biggest single factor and dumbest mistake in our loss. That changed the complexion of the game.

Our defense held the Ravens to 3 points during the last 46 minutes of play. That's incredible. If we would have started the game up 6-0 or 10-0 instead of being down 3-7.... I think this game would have been much different and in our favor.

Mr. White
01-20-2012, 09:16 AM
Meaning that he didn't lose any fumbles during the reg. season. And he was tied with a bunch of other guys that didn't lose any either. Couldn't really figure out how to word it...and I'm pretty much beat and headed off to bed.

And I didn't say you didn't say otherwise. I didn't read through the whole thread...I just happened to glance down and see your comment; so I thought that I'd check into the stats.

He's got all the physical tools, but he couldn't handle the pressure of the playoffs on the road. More proof that the guy is just weak-minded.

Any team that wants to take the next step has to cut bait on these kind of guys.

Texan_Bill
01-20-2012, 09:17 AM
Like I said if your team cant overcome being down 4 points 5 minutes into the game you werent going to make it anywhere in the playoffs.

Lets talk about the destroyed nature of being down 4 points with 55 mins of playing time left. Our defense dominated the game, they never lost momentum. Our offense never had momentum starting the game, we had a 50+ yard kickoff return that netted us a FG. Holy smokes Im sure that fired up the offense. Our team wasnt destroyed by JJ mistake

EXACTLY!! Exactly why you have to play with the lead when starting a 5th round rookie QB.

Mr. White
01-20-2012, 09:21 AM
EXACTLY!! Exactly why you have to play with the lead when starting a 5th round rookie QB.

Yep. When you have 2 strong defensive teams you go in expecting to play a low scoring game for field position. A guy that returns punts should know this.

2012Champs
01-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Look at the situation of those though.

We started the game with momentum from Manning's 60 yard kickoff return. Get 2 completions, a first down and then kick a field goal to be up 3-0 on the road.

Im sorry but with that good of a kick off, the fg leaves the offense dissapointed I assure you

Then we kickoff and it starts shaky for the Ravens. I think they fumbled on the kick return but recovered it. Our defense stops Rice and Flacco, forcing a 3 and out. They're forced to punt the ball.

So now we're getting the ball back with all the momentum you could ask for to start the divisional round of the playoffs on the road. Instead of going down and scoring to be up 6-0 or 10-0... Jacoby fumbles the ball, giving it to them on the 2 yard line. Now we're down 3-7.... much different. We're down early, the momentum has definitely shifted... and now we've got our rookie 3rd stringer that's having to lead us from behind against one of the toughest teams in the AFC on the road..

Our d held the entire game, they never "lost momentum" we forced many fumbles and never recovered one

Did Yates make some boneheaded throws? Yes. I actually like the fact he threw it downfield some and even tried to force it to AJ, one of the best WRs in the game, to make a play or two. But I did not like how it seemed he would lock onto his receiver.

Your best WR wasnt at his best and while throwing down field is nice to see. Doing so into double and triple coverage isnt good to see and Yates did it all game long and was on lockdown on his receivers

But it's a no brainer for me. Jacoby's fumble at the beginning of the game was the biggest single factor and dumbest mistake in our loss. That changed the complexion of the game.

The single biggest factor in our loss was our 4 turnovers that cost us 17 points. Break it down however you want but Jones didnt carry the majority of either the points or turnovers and he recovered a fumble as well

Our defense held the Ravens to 3 points during the last 46 minutes of play. That's incredible. If we would have started the game up 6-0 or 10-0 instead of being down 3-7.... I think this game would have been much different and in our favor.

Our d held the whole game. We can play the IF game many ways. IF TJ didnt have 3 ints we would have won the game. If TJ had one pick and rackers/turk did their job we would have won. IFs get away from what really happend

2012Champs
01-20-2012, 09:27 AM

Yep. When you have 2 strong defensive teams you go in expecting to play a low scoring game for field position. A guy that returns punts should know this.

4 turnovers 17 points
1 missed FG 3 point and gave the ravens 3 IIRC
1 punt my 6 year old nephew could have pulled off gave them 3 as well

17+6+3= 26 point swing

Thats why we lost

Luv_ya_blue
01-20-2012, 09:31 AM
He's got all the physical tools, but he couldn't handle the pressure of the playoffs on the road. More proof that the guy is just weak-minded.

Any team that wants to take the next step has to cut bait on these kind of guys.

Couldn't agree more.
Some guys are clutch and others aren't.
Some players can handle being the "go to guy" and some can't.
Doesn't mean he's not a good guy...just means that he can't contribute like WE need him to.

Vinny
01-20-2012, 09:36 AM

Lets talk about the destroyed nature of being down 4 points with 55 mins of playing time left. Our defense dominated the game, they never lost momentum. Our offense never had momentum starting the game, we had a 50+ yard kickoff return that netted us a FG. Holy smokes Im sure that fired up the offense. Our team wasnt destroyed by JJ mistakewasn't TOTALLY destroyed but it matters in a game where field position and mistakes are what separates winners from losers. We lost and Jacoby was one of the reasons...pretty much period.

2012Champs
01-20-2012, 09:37 AM
wasn't TOTALLY destroyed but it matters in a game where field position and mistakes are what separates winners from losers. We lost and Jacoby was one of the reasons...pretty much period.

was he one of the reasons? Of course and I think I have posted that a few times. He wasnt the reason we lost.

Vinny
01-20-2012, 09:41 AM
was he one of the reasons? Of course and I think I have posted that a few times. He wasnt the reason we lost.He was part of the reason we lost. Highlighting the word THE won't help the fact that he's a big part of why we didn't win.

Mr. White
01-20-2012, 09:42 AM
4 turnovers 17 points
1 missed FG 3 point and gave the ravens 3 IIRC
1 punt my 6 year old nephew could have pulled off gave them 3 as well

17+6+3= 26 point swing

Thats why we lost

You've said this about a half dozen times now in this thread. I get your point. You're saying it's a team loss.

My point is that he has no place on this team.

Ole Miss Texan
01-20-2012, 10:07 AM
The single biggest factor in our loss was our 4 turnovers that cost us 17 points. Break it down however you want but Jones didnt carry the majority of either the points or turnovers and he recovered a fumble as well

Agreed. The turnovers were the BIGGEST reason why we lost. But If I had to point to one SINGLE play - it would be the Jacoby punt return fumble.

You're right, our defense played GREAT the entire day. All the more reason why Jacoby's fumble frustrates me.

Baltimore only scored two FGs (6 points) when they started on their side of the field out of 9 or 10 possessions. They scored two TDs (14 points) when starting on Houston's side of the field out of 3 possessions (1 off Jacoby's fumble; 1 off TJ's interception).

Their offense had a hard time driving the ball. If Jacoby would have not fumbled it, let's just assume we would be forced to punt. That would put Baltimore on their side of the field.

gary
01-20-2012, 10:17 AM
I am not going to go on and on about this because overall I think the team played well enough to have a chance at the end of the game. Rackers cost the team three points and then Yates being locked onto AJ too much when another receiver was probably open did not help the team either. Was that just Yates or some play calling too mixed in? I don't know but Yates is a rookie so you just have to expect what we saw from him and hope he has learned a lot from it. Most of all hope that Schaub plays an entire season next year but for now things are over and done with major props to the whole team for a great season with so many players going down at different times through out the season.

Double Barrel
01-20-2012, 10:21 AM

yep. The lack of objectivity and obsessively blind support are telltale signs.

Funny thing about pointing to the rookie QB in a thread specifically talking about Jacoby Jones. It's much like Coach Smith said about his conversation with Jones after the game. Hey, he's not the only one that made a mistake!

We know Yates will not be the starting QB next season. He was a backup to a backup. Will Jacoby still be a starting punt returner?

Jacoby Jones is a freakin' starter, so the expectations and standards should be higher for a 5th year veteran. That it's not for some folks can only speak volumes about the MBB's (mighty big blinders) they must be wearing for him.

cbs1507
01-20-2012, 11:43 AM

Foster FUMBLED the ball AGAIN. He is not a rookie. Nobody talks about that though because Jacoby Jones fell on the ball. INT happens? So this is excusable? Joe Flacco had ZERO INTs and we pressured him ALL DAY. Him being a rookie is no excuse for throwing into double/triple coverage. Especially, when there are 5 passing options. Yeah I don't see the difference in a 5 year vet who put the ball on the ground IN THE FIRST QUARTER and rookie throwing 3 picks the WHOLE GAME. Jones got ZERO targets. What part of that do you not understand?

By your logic, then we can say muff punts happen. But that muff punt happenED in the FIRST QUARTER, not with the game on the line like Yates last 2 INTs. We were down 7-3 after Jacoby's mistake. Yates throw a pick on our side of the field 2 possessions later that went for a TD. If you're mad that Jacoby's TO gave up 7, well Yates accounted for 10 Ravens point. You can't use the excuse that Yates is a rookie. Jacoby made a mistake, but did not repeat. Yates made the same mistake 3 TIMES. It doesn't take a vet to understand that 3 people around 1 WR is not a good throw. He stared the 1st option down on every play. If he was not comfortable going through his progression then throw it away if the 1st option was triple covered. Point blank. Stop excusing poor play because he was a rookie. He never threw the ball away once. He just chucked up prayers into coverage and we paid the price for it.

gary
01-20-2012, 12:01 PM
I just have to wonder why Yates was so attached to AJ during the game.

2012Champs
01-20-2012, 12:15 PM
yep. The lack of objectivity and obsessively blind support are telltale signs.

Funny thing about pointing to the rookie QB in a thread specifically talking about Jacoby Jones. It's much like Coach Smith said about his conversation with Jones after the game. Hey, he's not the only one that made a mistake!

We know Yates will not be the starting QB next season. He was a backup to a backup. Will Jacoby still be a starting punt returner?

Jacoby Jones is a freakin' starter, so the expectations and standards should be higher for a 5th year veteran. That it's not for some folks can only speak volumes about the MBB's (mighty big blinders) they must be wearing for him.

I think the problem is a lack of objectivity and blind hate

thunderkyss
01-20-2012, 12:18 PM
Jacoby's was the most inexcusable of all. Bottom line.

Totally agree with this... but don't believe it attributed any more to the outcome of the game than our inability to score in the second half.

We go on about limiting Baltimore's offense to 3 points in the second half & how if Jacoby didn't muff that punt, the score would have been 7 points closer.

Baltimore held us to 0 points in the second half. If it weren't for that muffed punt, we don't know what would have happened. It took a great return by Danieal Manning to get us into Baltimore's territory.... so we could kick that first field goal.

After going 3 & out, Baltimore's defense might have held us to 3 points in the first half, without that 14 point cussion, they might have played a lot tougher.

2012Champs
01-20-2012, 12:18 PM
I just have to wonder why Yates was so attached to AJ during the game.

Because he is you best receiver. However he wasnt back to 100% nor is he your best guy when he is double/triple covered

Double Barrel
01-20-2012, 12:24 PM
I think the problem is a lack of objectivity and blind hate

It depends on whose perspective(s) you are talking about.

Nobody denies that TJ's mistakes were part of the loss. There is a thread specifically discussing Yates and I'd say most agree that he played like you'd expect an inexperienced rookie to play against a Ravens defense in the playoffs. Not excusing him in any sort of way, but he will be where he should be in 2012: sitting the bench as a backup QB.

But, it's also understandable that Jacoby's mistake is simply inexcusable for a 5th year veteran under the circumstances of that game.

I wish no ill-will toward Jacoby and have nothing personal against him as an individual. However, as a Texans fan, he needs to be a liability on someone else's team after evaluating his 5 years on our team.

I root for the logo on the helmet, not the name on the back of a jersey. :texflag:

Mr. White
01-20-2012, 12:24 PM

Definitely using the same misinformation tactic. According to them, every player on the Texans sucked except for Carr.

He even slammed Andre Johnson for making Carr look bad.

This is the same case. Carr was the weak link then and Jacoby's the weak link now.

2012Champs
01-20-2012, 12:34 PM

Nobody denies that TJ's mistakes were part of the loss. There is a thread specifically discussing Yates and I'd say most agree that he played like you'd expect an inexperienced rookie to play against a Ravens defense in the playoffs. Not excusing him in any sort of way, but he will be where he should be in 2012: sitting the bench as a backup QB.

But, it's also understandable that Jacoby's mistake is simply inexcusable for a 5th year veteran under the circumstances of that game.

I wish no ill-will toward Jacoby and have nothing personal against him as an individual. However, as a Texans fan, he needs to be a liability on someone else's team after evaluating his 5 years on our team.

I root for the logo on the helmet, not the name on the back of a jersey. :texflag:

You can keep saying Yates played like expected. If Gary or any of the staff expected him to throw 3 pics with true performance closer to 5-6 he wouldnt have been playing the game. I too wish JJ well in his career elsewher

ChampionTexan
01-20-2012, 12:35 PM
While he's never had close to the same success as Brad Lidge, I think those who have compared Jacoby's situation to Lidge's are spot on. I think it's in the best interest of both parties to part ways and move forward. I don't know what the chances are that Jacoby will ever find success as an NFL player (I suspect not good), but i believe if he's ever going to find it, it has to be somewhere else.

Beyond that, any outrage or bile spewed forth about Jacoby probably has no effect on anything with the possible exception of the blood pressure of those spewing.

cbs1507
01-20-2012, 12:36 PM

Ok I get where you are coming from. I blame management for banking on Jacoby as being a #2 WR. He was always a #3 in my book. We will bring in a #2 by either draft or FA to compete with Jones. He will be on the team next year, and he will have his best statistical season of his career because we will finally have a #2 opposite AJ and he will be able to move to his true position (#3).

Double Barrel
01-20-2012, 12:44 PM
You can keep saying Yates played like expected. If Gary or any of the staff expected him to throw 3 pics with true performance closer to 5-6 he wouldnt have been playing the game. I too wish JJ well in his career elsewher

Well, "as expected" by fans and media analysts. Nobody ever predicted TJ to be the game deciding factor, but rather the Texans had a chance if Yates could minimize mistakes. The no. 1 reason why nobody picked the Texans to win the game was Yates. So yeah, expectations were that he could hurt us and he lived up to those expectations.

As far as Kubiak and staff, they were forced with slim pickings. Delholmme, he who threw 6 picks in his last playoff game and was sitting on the couch when we called, simply cannot be considered an improvement by any objective analysis.

What was not expected was our 5 year veteran punt returner to make a stupid rookie mistake and give the ball to the Ravens at the 1 yard line. Matter-of-fact, expectations on Jacoby should have been one of depending on the guy to at least play sound football, and in that regard, he failed miserably.

Ok I get where you are coming from. I blame management for putting banking on Jacoby as being a #2 WR. He was always a #3 in my book. We will bring in a #2 by either draft or FA to compete with Jones. He will be on the team next year, and we will have his best statistical season of his career. Because we will finally have a #2 opposite AJ and he will be able to move to his true position (#3).

I do not disagree with you at all. For whatever reason(s), Jacoby gets a pass with this staff that would not be granted by many other successful teams.

gary
01-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Because he is you best receiver. However he wasnt back to 100% nor is he your best guy when he is double/triple coveredI know he is the best but Yates had to have known ahead of time that AJ was going to covered like he was.

DocBar
01-21-2012, 09:26 PM
Why isn't Jones gone yet?

Texn4life
01-22-2012, 09:26 AM
I swear I will be beyond mad if Jacoby's still on this team next year. Not sure if anyone has posted this, but look at what Kubiak said.

With Johnson back, Jones had no catches in the playoffs. He muffed a punt that resulted in Baltimore’s first touchdown, but fans wanting him gone won’t be happy that Kubiak continues to support him.

“A lot of guys made mistakes,” Kubiak said. “As a coach, you’ve got to believe in your people.”

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/01/expect-an-upgrade-at-receiver-via-draft-for-the-texans/

One thing I will say though is I disagree with some people who call Jacoby a bust as a 3rd round pick. He wasn't productive consistently, but to call him a bust is a reach. Maurice Clarett was a bust. I could give a laundry list of players who were drafted in the 3rd round or higher who never contributed to their teams at all, so I wouldn't label him with that.

NOW, in saying that we should give him a nice parting gift and wish him well with his next team. It's time for both parties to move on. Kubiak's constant babying of him isn't going to help him grow as a player.

steelbtexan
01-22-2012, 09:45 AM
Like I said, I understand being upset at Jacoby, no way that should have happened. He should be held accountable.

At the same time, that is not the reason we lost that game. If it didn't happen, it is highly unlikely we could go on, commit 3 turnovers (you know interceptions just happen) & still expect to win that game. That just don't happen, especially not against the Ravens.

I understand Yates getting the. Pass. He's a rookie, playing a top 3 defense, on the road, in the play-offs.

Doesn't mean his turn-overs don't affect the outcome of the game. It's more likely that we win the game if Tj protected the ball & played it safe, like the Bengals game, than if Jacoby fair caught that ball.

Agreed

Yates has alot of improving to do. I'm not sure if he's the QB of the future. His tendency to throw high when he throws his fastball across the middle bothers me. He will learn not to get baited into throwing INTS by savy vets like Reed. That's nothing more than a learning experience.

As far as Jacoby goes, cutting him would be showing the other players on the team that everybody is being held accountable for their mistakes.

That and it shouldn't be hard to find an upgrade over Jacoby at the WR/PR positions. Give me a guy that's a little less talented. But is smart and willing to pay the price going over the middle. And as a PR will get me 10-15 yds consistently. While not making boneheaded decisions in fielding punts. (Always looking for the homerun instead of realizing the situation and making the smart play)

steelbtexan
01-22-2012, 09:53 AM
Ok I get where you are coming from. I blame management for banking on Jacoby as being a #2 WR. He was always a #3 in my book. We will bring in a #2 by either draft or FA to compete with Jones. He will be on the team next year, and he will have his best statistical season of his career because we will finally have a #2 opposite AJ and he will be able to move to his true position (#3).

You're probably right.

But, man I hope you're wrong. 5 yrs of JJ is enough. He's what he is. Somebody you cant win with. It reminds me of when Betel Johnson was the deep threat on the Pats SB teams. Ultra talented, but made too many mistakes. (Route running) = Cut in the BB/Brady regime. Hopefully Gary/Wade will take note.

gary
01-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Leave it to Gary to keep Jones if he indeed does.

thunderkyss
01-22-2012, 10:34 AM
As far as Jacoby goes, cutting him would be showing the other players on the team that everybody is being held accountable for their mistakes.

Totally do not agree with this. Knee Jerks are not good for your team.

Are we going to cut Ben Tate because he fumbled on the goal line? Luckily it was recovered by Wade Smith & we scored on that play.

Are we going to cut Eric Winston because he gets beat time-to-time & our QBs get lit up?

Are we going to cut Demps for missing a tackle that would have prevented a goal line TD?

Are we going to cut J.Allen for getting beat & turned around on a TD score in a play-off game?

If Jacoby's production through out the season does not warrant bringing him back, then we don't bring him back. If he is beat out in training camp by superior talent, then we don't bring him back.

At the same time, if a coach continues to send a player out there & can not correct his mistakes, should we bring that coach back?

If you make mistakes....

your ****ing human.

Jaysol
01-22-2012, 10:53 AM

Are we going to cut Ben Tate because he fumbled on the goal line? Luckily it was recovered by Wade Smith & we scored on that play.

Are we going to cut Eric Winston because he gets beat time-to-time & our QBs get lit up?

Are we going to cut Demps for missing a tackle that would have prevented a goal line TD?

Are we going to cut J.Allen for getting beat & turned around on a TD score in a play-off game?

If Jacoby's production through out the season does not warrant bringing him back, then we don't bring him back. If he is beat out in training camp by superior talent, then we don't bring him back.

At the same time, if a coach continues to send a player out there & can not correct his mistakes, should we bring that coach back?

If you make mistakes....

your ****ing human.

MSR+! I totally agree, although Jones has frustrated me many times, this sudden uproar of people wanting his head because of one play is ridiculous. I would be fine if we brought in some talent in the off season and he was beat out during training camp, but I believe it sets a bad presidence to cut them based primarily on one play.

If that play doesn't motivate Jones to work harder during the off season, then nothing will. Personally, I'd like to see what he does during OTAs and camps before determining if he needs to go or not.

Texn4life
01-22-2012, 10:59 AM
MSR+! I totally agree, although Jones has frustrated me many times, this sudden uproar of people wanting his head because of one play is ridiculous. I would be fine if we brought in some talent in the off season and he was beat out during training camp, but I believe it sets a bad presidence to cut them based primarily on one play.

If that play doesn't motivate Jones to work harder during the off season, then nothing will. Personally, I'd like to see what he does during OTAs and camps before determining if he needs to go or not.

I wanted Jacoby gone after last season. It wasn't just that play that made the decision easier. It's his lack of consistency. Most coaches either bench or release players for inconsistent play. We've been rewarding him for his inconsistent play by #1) Not bringing in younger talent good enough to push him, and #2) Coaches continuing to play him and not calling him out for his drops, mental mistakes.

I don't know what his roster bonus is after March if he is still on the roster or not, but that's for the FO to decide. I'd let him compete for a spot on the team, but I would bring in 2-3 receivers who can legitimately push the guy. Not these UDFA guys that you're hoping to strike gold with.

welsh texan
01-22-2012, 10:59 AM

I saw plenty of people calling for his head throughout the regular season long before that play, the guy had his chance to step into AJ's shoes and be our #1 reciever this season yet couldn't beat coverage and couldn't hold onto a catch.

thunderkyss
01-22-2012, 11:18 AM
I wanted Jacoby gone after last season. It wasn't just that play that made the decision easier. It's his lack of inconsistency. Most coaches either bench or release players for inconsistent play. We've been rewarding him for his inconsistent play by #1) Not bringing in younger talent good enough to push him, and #2) Coaches continuing to play him and not calling him out for his drops, mental mistakes.

"lack of inconsistency"? I do not think that means what you think it means.

When has he been inconsistent? He was consistently one of the better punt returners in the AFC during the regular season. That's pretty damn consistent.

As a wide receiver, compare him to other teams #3 & tell me where he fell short.

For the most part, people are upset that he has not stepped up to take that #2 spot, or become a 1b to Andre.... & I get that. Doesn't mean he has no value on the team. He's not getting paid as a #2 or a 1b. Can we get that same production from an UDFA... probably & I agree it's worth a shot (I think those guys ended up on IR for us this season)...

I don't know what his roster bonus is after March if he is still on the roster or not, but that's for the FO to decide. I'd let him compete for a spot on the team, but I would bring in 2-3 receivers who can legitimately push the guy. Not these UDFA guys that you're hoping to strike gold with.

You've got your sights way too high. Jacoby is not that #2 WR, never was. We wanted him to develop into that guy, but he hasn't. The right place to look for a Jacoby Jones replacement is the UDFA or the later rounds..... he's a punt returner (we spent a late draft pick on Trindon Holliday to replace him there, didn't quite work out the way we planned).

Again, we brought guys in this season to take Jacoby off the depth chart.... including Derrick Mason.... didn't work out.

But if you think about it, at least we got rid of DA... baby steps.

All our Draft picks (& FA dollars) have been used to fix a defense for the last 6 years. Hopefully we are past that point. & we can inject a lot of talent on the offensive side or the ball this off-season.

But, if we don't sign Mario, forget that. You'll draft DL (including OLB) early, 1st or second & an insurance policy in the later rounds.

This offense will continue to be more about Kubiak's creativity & caution than it will be about the talent needed to truly be a great offense.

thunderkyss
01-22-2012, 11:29 AM
I saw plenty of people calling for his head throughout the regular season long before that play, the guy had his chance to step into AJ's shoes and be our #1 reciever this season yet couldn't beat coverage and couldn't hold onto a catch.

Jacoby gets a lot of slack on this MB, because he hasn't lived up to their expectations. I don't believe that is necessarily fair.

Because he gets so much slack I watch his play, just like I watch Kj's play when I'm at the games. I've learned two things.

Kj is excellent in man to man coverage.... doesn't play the ball that well, but at least his man isn't open & the QB chooses to go to their next read when he is playing.
Jacoby is hell to cover. He's fast, he runs good routes, not great, but definitely no where near as bad as being said here. & he's takes the top off of defenses & is virtually uncoverable one-on-one

Not blaming Schaub, but a different QB who can take advantage of what Jacoby can do would make him look totally different.

People want to talk about that Oakland game..... I think they listen to the commentators too much & like sheep repeat what they hear, especially when it "supports" their limited view. Jacoby was targeted 11 time, only caught one ball. Watch the game, only 3 of those balls were catchable. He was targeted 11 times, because he was open 11 times.

Again, I would be happy to move on from the Jacoby Jones experiment. He's not a good fit for this team. But I'd bet anyone, dollars to donuts, he'll have a long career in this league much like Jabar Gaffney.

& if he goes to a team like the Saints, or the Packers who normally have 4 to 5 receivers with more than 500 yards, he'll probably be a star.

Robert Meachum..... many guys talk about Robert Meachum as a "suitable" replacement for Jacoby Jones. First, I don't think he's as fast, second, he drops as many balls, third, he was a first round pick who the Saints will most likely let go. If he comes to this team, he's going to look a lot like Jacoby Jones, for more than $3Million a year.

Texn4life
01-22-2012, 12:08 PM
"lack of inconsistency"? I do not think that means what you think it means.

When has he been inconsistent? He was consistently one of the better punt returners in the AFC during the regular season. That's pretty damn consistent.

As a wide receiver, compare him to other teams #3 & tell me where he fell short.

For the most part, people are upset that he has not stepped up to take that #2 spot, or become a 1b to Andre.... & I get that. Doesn't mean he has no value on the team. He's not getting paid as a #2 or a 1b. Can we get that same production from an UDFA... probably & I agree it's worth a shot (I think those guys ended up on IR for us this season)...

You've got your sights way too high. Jacoby is not that #2 WR, never was. We wanted him to develop into that guy, but he hasn't. The right place to look for a Jacoby Jones replacement is the UDFA or the later rounds..... he's a punt returner (we spent a late draft pick on Trindon Holliday to replace him there, didn't quite work out the way we planned).

Again, we brought guys in this season to take Jacoby off the depth chart.... including Derrick Mason.... didn't work out.

But if you think about it, at least we got rid of DA... baby steps.

All our Draft picks (& FA dollars) have been used to fix a defense for the last 6 years. Hopefully we are past that point. & we can inject a lot of talent on the offensive side or the ball this off-season.

But, if we don't sign Mario, forget that. You'll draft DL (including OLB) early, 1st or second & an insurance policy in the later rounds.

This offense will continue to be more about Kubiak's creativity & caution than it will be about the talent needed to truly be a great offense.

Lack of consistency!!! I'm pretty sure you knew what I meant, but thanks for the grammar lesson. Jacoby as a punt returner was incredibly inconsistent. I don't know how exactly you can ignore that. He probably led the league in negative returns throughout the season. Did he break some long ones that helped his average out over the course of the season? Sure, but he also danced around a lot after he caught the ball trying to break long ones that led to him being tackled for negative yardage.

I don't have the time to compare him numbers wise to #3 wide outs in the league, but that's not what he was this year. He was a #2 receiver for half the season, and still failed to show the ability to succeed as a reliable option out on the field. I'm not saying he's terrible. He shows flashes that make you think that there might be potential there, but I'm saying it's time to move on. To say that he's consistent catching the ball is borderline insane. He'll probably always have questionable hands.

As to your saying that we have our sights way too high on Jacoby, I would say you have your sights too low. If Jacoby didn't show the potential to develop into a legitimate receiver then I would agree with you. But his problem is one that can't be fixed with the Texans. Its time for both to move on. I wish him well in the future and don't fault him 100 percent for the mistake in the divisional game. He tried to make a play and was stupid for it, but mistakes happen. Its time to move on though. We can get the production we got out of him for much less money or for the same amount of money through the 1st pick in the draft. Probably more production. Again, thanks for the grammar lesson!

DocBar
01-22-2012, 12:10 PM
How about we just ditch Jones and find away for the Texans and sAints to sign and trade MW for Colston. They badly need help on the D side of the ball and we desperately need a stud like Colston to go with AJ. Hell, throw Jones in with the trade if the sAints won't charge us too much for taking him.
:runaway:

bckey
01-22-2012, 01:27 PM

If you make mistakes....

your ****ing human.

The problem with Jacoby is between his ears. All the other players you mention here made mistakes but those type of mistakes happen to all players over their careers at some point. Jacoby can't think straight under pressure. I've seen him field punts inside the 10 yard line many times. I've seen him dance around for no yards or negative yards instead of just getting positive yards or making a fair catch. Not once but most of the time. He has had ample opportunities to show everyone that he is a legit wr in the NFL only to disappoint over and over and over. Have there been flashes? Yes. But the negatives far out weigh the positives when it comes to JJ.

The play where Jacoby fumbles close to his own endzone after the Texans just stopped the Ravens on their 1st drive with a 3 and out was inexcuseable. If he fields the punt normally and then fumbles ok. But to watch it bounce and then try and field it surrounded by Ravens is dumb. It reminded me of Leon Lett. Jacoby just isn't able to think straight when the pressure is on and unfortunately in the NFL that leads to big time mistakes that leave you scratching your head. He has talent. It got him through high school and college but in the NFL that alone doesn't cut it. The best of the best play in the NFL. Its time to part ways with this guy. Wish him the best and move on.

rickyb
01-22-2012, 02:00 PM

[Jaysol, this post is not directed at you in particular. You just said something that I was sensitive to.]

It is exactly this label of "the sudden uproar" and "one play" that I was anticipating and hoping to avoid. My disdain for Jacoby Jones is not based upon one play. Rather, it is a culmination of his body of work, or lack thereof. I did not like him going into this season, and this season, more than any other, due to the AJ injuries, gave him his opportunity to prove me wrong.

Performance. All else equal, throw a jump ball to AJ, and he finds a way more often than not. Throw a jump ball to JJ, and he finds a way to miss. Show me his game winning 25+ yard reception. If anyone wants to be a JJ apologist, and point to "oh it is not fair to compare him to the best receiver in the NFL," fine go ahead. I for one am not about excuses; I believe in results.

No one likes a whiner. Have you ever noticed how often JJ begs for calls on incomplete passes? It bugs the **** out of me. If you can't go up and get the ball, don't beg the refs. A whine here or there is pardonable -- we are only human -- but here I am pointing to a persistent manner of behavior. Don't be a whiner. Be a winner.

Results first, showboat second. It bugs me that he makes a show out of the most pedestrian of plays. On the odd occasion that he actually DID catch a 3rd down pass for 1st down, he would come up, flip the ball, do some sort of shimmy shiver, and generally show-boat. AJ can showboat (though I would point out he does not do so), as he has earned that right.

Only thing JJ has earned in my book is my contempt for his mediocre play. Object if you must (note: you being a general reference to the reader, not the poster which I quoted above. This is not a diatribe against any one poster.). Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I guess the only opinions that count in the end are the ones who decide who is and is not on the roster. For me, I have seen enough. More than enough. Sorry, #12. You will probably benefit from a fresh-start elsewhere.

Rick

PS: As a footnote, I would add that giving any team 7 points in the playoffs is a big flippin' deal. It gave new life to a more-than-capable opponent, at a time where our defense was taking the opponents' heart and hope away (yes, even so early in the game.).

PPS: Regarding Yates' play, one of his INT's came on an inexplicable 40 yard **play-call** with 2 minutes or so (was it 1:41? I am going off memory.) We had the ball, the clock, and the momentum. Why we chose to poke at the end zone at that moment is beyond me. My point is this play was as much about play calling as it was about Yates' rookie mistake of trying to force a ball into AJ against a future HOF safety. All this finger-pointing at Yates is misplaced. It's a game of inches, and this team was right there, in spite of mistakes. This team has the pieces to be good for quite some time. And when you get this good, you look to upgrade talent at key positions, rather than fill gaping flippin' holes. I know this is a mindshift around here, since we had so many holes for so long. Surely we can upgrade at WR2. (Whew! Glad I got all that off my chest.)

cbs1507
01-22-2012, 04:20 PM
[Jaysol, this post is not directed at you in particular. You just said something that I was sensitive to.]

It is exactly this label of "the sudden uproar" and "one play" that I was anticipating and hoping to avoid. My disdain for Jacoby Jones is not based upon one play. Rather, it is a culmination of his body of work, or lack thereof. I did not like him going into this season, and this season, more than any other, due to the AJ injuries, gave him his opportunity to prove me wrong.

Performance. All else equal, throw a jump ball to AJ, and he finds a way more often than not. Throw a jump ball to JJ, and he finds a way to miss. Show me his game winning 25+ yard reception. If anyone wants to be a JJ apologist, and point to "oh it is not fair to compare him to the best receiver in the NFL," fine go ahead. I for one am not about excuses; I believe in results.

No one likes a whiner. Have you ever noticed how often JJ begs for calls on incomplete passes? It bugs the **** out of me. If you can't go up and get the ball, don't beg the refs. A whine here or there is pardonable -- we are only human -- but here I am pointing to a persistent manner of behavior. Don't be a whiner. Be a winner.

Results first, showboat second. It bugs me that he makes a show out of the most pedestrian of plays. On the odd occasion that he actually DID catch a 3rd down pass for 1st down, he would come up, flip the ball, do some sort of shimmy shiver, and generally show-boat. AJ can showboat (though I would point out he does not do so), as he has earned that right.

Only thing JJ has earned in my book is my contempt for his mediocre play. Object if you must (note: you being a general reference to the reader, not the poster which I quoted above. This is not a diatribe against any one poster.). Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I guess the only opinions that count in the end are the ones who decide who is and is not on the roster. For me, I have seen enough. More than enough. Sorry, #12. You will probably benefit from a fresh-start elsewhere.

Rick

PS: As a footnote, I would add that giving any team 7 points in the playoffs is a big flippin' deal. It gave new life to a more-than-capable opponent, at a time where our defense was taking the opponents' heart and hope away (yes, even so early in the game.).

PPS: Regarding Yates' play, one of his INT's came on an inexplicable 40 yard **play-call** with 2 minutes or so (was it 1:41? I am going off memory.) We had the ball, the clock, and the momentum. Why we chose to poke at the end zone at that moment is beyond me. My point is this play was as much about play calling as it was about Yates' rookie mistake of trying to force a ball into AJ against a future HOF safety. All this finger-pointing at Yates is misplaced. It's a game of inches, and this team was right there, in spite of mistakes. This team has the pieces to be good for quite some time. And when you get this good, you look to upgrade talent at key positions, rather than fill gaping flippin' holes. I know this is a mindshift around here, since we had so many holes for so long. Surely we can upgrade at WR2. (Whew! Glad I got all that off my chest.)
Well apparently Yates giving the Ravens 10 points wasn't a big deal.
BTW This is not a playcalling issue. Nobody called a 40 yard pass play. There were 5 options. One of those 5 options was double covered. That means 4 other options had 1 on 1 coverage. Nobody made Yates throw it into coverage. You can't blame the playcalling for that. It's a rookie issue. Point blank.

PS
Jacoby Jones had ZERO targets in the 2011 playoffs. ZERO. So to have disdain for somebody that doesn't even get the ball thrown his direction is ridiculous. He couldn't have redeemed himself if he wanted to. The closest he got to redemption was falling on Foster's untimely fumble in the 4th quarter. People always point out how the fumble got to his head. But a veteran QB, would have given him a chance to redeem himself instead of staring into double and triple coverage and chucking up prayers at the first option WR on plays with 5 options.

escrimador
01-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Now that it's been a week, I've been thinking about how Jacoby might redeem himself IF they keep him. The guy is is still an athlete. Why not convert the guy to a CB? He's tall with long arms and has the speed to stay with WR's.

GuerillaBlack
01-22-2012, 06:55 PM
I have had a week to think about it and I can't wait until they cut Jacoby Jones. So much talent this year in FA and the draft for a WR. Jacoby is nothing special and hasn't improved in five seasons. Still making rookie mistakes too. Terrible. Won't be hard to replace him.

Texn4life
01-22-2012, 07:13 PM
I have had a week to think about it and I can't wait until they cut Jacoby Jones. So much talent this year in FA and the draft for a WR. Jacoby is nothing special and hasn't improved in five seasons. Still making rookie mistakes too. Terrible. Won't be hard to replace him.

I feel the same way. They had a great point on 610 earlier in the week asking, "If Jacoby Jones was on another team would you want to go after him to play for the Texans?". I don't know many people that would say yes to that question. I don't hate the guy and like I've said many time I wish him well with whatever team he ends up on in whatever role he fills. I just don't want him as the Texans #2, #3, or PR next year. Is it possible that we may miss out on some of his big punt returns? Yes, but I'll take catching the punt and getting up field for positive yardage over the negative plays he comes with.

cbs1507
01-22-2012, 07:18 PM
I feel the same way. They had a great point on 610 earlier in the week asking, "If Jacoby Jones was on another team would you want to go after him to play for the Texans?". I don't know many people that would say yes to that question. I don't hate the guy and like I've said many time I wish him well with whatever team he ends up on in whatever role he fills. I just don't want him as the Texans #2, #3, or PR next year. Is it possible that we may miss out on some of his big punt returns? Yes, but I'll take catching the punt and getting up field for positive yardage over the negative plays he comes with.

If Jacoby was on another team he might actually get thrown the ball (ZERO targets). Of course they probably wouldn't have a rookie QB that stares down the 1st option and chucks it into triple coverage instead of utilizing one of the other 4 routes that had 1 on 1 (or possibly wide open).

Texn4life
01-22-2012, 07:21 PM
If Jacoby was on another team he might actually get thrown the ball (ZERO targets). Of course they probably wouldn't have a rookie QB that stares down the 1st option and chucks it into triple coverage instead of utilizing one of the other 4 routes that had 1 on 1 (or possibly wide open).

Jacoby was targeted plenty of times throughout the year unsuccessfully. Its a reason why most people aren't simply pointing to this one game for wanting the Texans to move on. Plenty of players leave teams throughout their careers. For the life of me I can't understand why some are so hell bent on keeping this one guy a part of the team. :gun:

GuerillaBlack
01-22-2012, 07:23 PM

I remember in the Raiders game, Jacoby had like nine targets and only caught one pass. Dude is lazy on his route running and doesn't cut. He didn't even try helping Schaub out on the last play of that game. Again, shouldn't be hard to replace. I wish him well on whatever other team he will go to, but its clear he hasn't played well enough here.

gary
01-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Is Jones still on the team?

cbs1507
01-22-2012, 07:26 PM
Jacoby was targeted plenty of times throughout the year unsuccessfully. Its a reason why most people aren't simply pointing to this one game for wanting the Texans to move on. Plenty of players leave teams throughout their careers. For the life of me I can't understand why some are so hell bent on keeping this one guy a part of the team. :gun:
No he was targeted plenty of times when Matt Schaub was at QB. He did not get many targets as soon as Yates took over, even without Andre. He had ZERO target the enitre playoffs. I don't care how you try to frame. The guy had ZERO targets in the playoffs. You can bash him all you want, but a vet QB gives him a chance to redeem himself. Point blank.

cbs1507
01-22-2012, 07:29 PM
I remember in the Raiders game, Jacoby had like nine targets and only caught one pass. Dude is lazy on his route running and doesn't cut. He didn't even try helping Schaub out on the last play of that game. Again, shouldn't be hard to replace. I wish him well on whatever other team he will go to, but its clear he hasn't played well enough here.

One game is all you could come up with. He actually played decent when Matt Schaub was playing (save the Oakland game, but that was our first game we played without AJ). I could could name many more than that where he was wide open and didn't get looks (all the games TJ Yates started). He even got a few looks when Jake Delhome came in for the last game of the season. Only to get ZERO targets the entire playoffs.

BTW How do you even see his routes (since you are critiquing them)? He doesn't get targeted for you to even know what he ran.

Texn4life
01-22-2012, 07:30 PM
No he was targeted plenty of times when Matt Schaub was at QB. He did not get many targets as soon as Yates took over, even without Andre. He had ZERO target the enitre playoffs. I don't care how you try to frame. The guy had ZERO targets in the playoffs. You can bash him all you want, but a vet QB gives him a chance to redeem himself. Point blank.

He had 5 years to show me something. You ever think that maybe there was a reason Yates didn't trust Jacoby? I'm basing wanting Jacoby for the lack of consistency he failed to show during his entire 5 years. It has nothing to do with the playoffs. We can get the production we got from him with a rookie at a cheaper price. If you don't understand that then I don't know what else to tell you.

And its not personal. I've met and hung out with Jacoby on more than a few occasions since he's dated one of my friends, but I just think its time to move on. Don't know where you think I'm bashing him. Bashing would be saying he sucks. I'm not saying that. Its just time to move on.

cbs1507
01-22-2012, 07:37 PM
He had 5 years to show me something. You ever think that maybe there was a reason Yates didn't trust Jacoby? I'm basing wanting Jacoby for the lack of consistency he failed to show during his entire 5 years. It has nothing to do with the playoffs. We can get the production we got from him with a rookie at a cheaper price. If you don't understand that then I don't know what else to tell you.

And its not personal. I've met and hung out with Jacoby on more than a few occasions since he's dated one of my friends, but I just think its time to move on. Don't know where you think I'm bashing him. Bashing would be saying he sucks. I'm not saying that. Its just time to move on.

I am just using reason instead of emotion, like most fans on this thread seem to doing. Personally, it wouldn't bother me if management decided to go with another WR. But realistically he'll be here next year. They'll probably bring in another WR through either draft or FA. He will probably get bumped down to WR3, which he might benefit from.

BTW what is it with people and saying Jones is inconsistent. 500 yards a season is consistent IMO, when you consider that we have plenty of options. He could have had more if he actually got some targets. I'd say 500 yards is a good season, if you actually were paying attention to Yates' play down the stretch. The game against Baltimore did not surprise me because he was missing open receivers down the stretch.

Carr Bombed
01-22-2012, 07:40 PM

:vincepalm: One of the reasons why Yates had to throw so much was because instead of having a lead (which we had before Jones "Jacobied" the ball) we had to play from behind.

Get a clue here.. You can't pin the loss on a rookie and I expect more out of my 5 year vets. I expect them to atleast know what to do in a certain situation that even high school football players know what to do in the same situation. GET AWAY FROM THE FOOTBALL!

Texn4life
01-22-2012, 07:43 PM
I am just using reason instead of emotion, like most fans on this thread seem to doing. Personally, it wouldn't bother me if management decided to go with another WR. But realistically he'll be here next year. They'll probably bring in another WR through either draft or FA. He will probably get bumped down to WR3, which he might benefit from.

BTW what is it with people and saying Jones is inconsistent. 500 yards a season is consistent IMO, when you consider that we have plenty of options. He could have had more if he actually got some targets.

I don't know what universe you're in, but I actually watch the games. Jones is far from consistent. Numbers don't tell the whole story. It was a crap shoot most of his career if he would catch the ball thrown to him or not.

I've already said I want to cut bait and move on, but if they brought him back then it is what it is. Jacoby hasn't been pushed by any talent though throughout his entire career here. It's time that his job is threatened and maybe he'll step up and play up to his potential. I just don't think its going to happen here though. Sometimes a chance of scenery is what a player needs. Not too hard to understand this.

cbs1507
01-22-2012, 07:44 PM
:vincepalm: One of the reasons why Yates had to throw so much was because instead of having a lead (which we had before Jones "Jacobied" the ball) we had to play from behind.

Get a clue here.. You can't pin the loss on a rookie and I expect more out of my 5 year vets. I expect them to atleast know what to do in a certain situation that even high school football players know what to do in the same situation. GET AWAY FROM THE FOOTBALL!

Really? :spit: After Jacoby's fumble the score was 7-3. Oh yeah major mountain to climb. That darn Jacoby made Yates throw it to the WR that had triple coverage when the play had 4 other options.

:vincepalm:

BTW You are forgetting that Yates threw a hand me pick to Webb on our own 34 yard line by staring down AJ on a 2 man route (just throw it away). It put us down 17-3. The he follwed that up by throwing 2 picks into double and triple coverage IN THE 4TH quarter. That darn Jacoby. :thinking: Wake up man. Yates costed us the game, not Jacoby. Get over it.

Carr Bombed
01-22-2012, 07:48 PM
No he was targeted plenty of times when Matt Schaub was at QB. He did not get many targets as soon as Yates took over, even without Andre. He had ZERO target the entire playoffs. I don't care how you try to frame. The guy had ZERO targets in the playoffs. You can bash him all you want, but a vet QB gives him a chance to redeem himself. Point blank.

Targeted "plenty of times huh"....I guess that's why our backup TE had as many catches as he did... Cut the crap and stop revising history here. Yates was able to pass everyone the ball. Kevin Walter had targets with him behind center this season.. So did Daniels, so did Andre.. But he just hates JaNobody huh? :vincepalm:

You're trying to blow smoke up people's rears and it isn't working. Point blank.

cbs1507
01-22-2012, 07:50 PM
Targeted "plenty of times huh"....I guess that's why our backup TE had as many catches as he did... Cut the crap and stop revising history here. Yates was able to pass everyone the ball. Kevin Walter had targets with him behind center this season.. So did Daniels, so did Andre.. But he just hates JaNobody huh? :vincepalm:

You're trying to blow smoke up people's rears and it isn't working. Point blank.

I didn't say he hated him. Jacoby had ZERO targets the whole playoffs. Wake up man. Yates has tunnel vision. He can't see the field.

BTW AJ 15 Targets only 8 catches. Walter 8 targets only 2 catches. Everyone else had 3 targets or less. In Jacoby's case...ZERO.

Carr Bombed
01-22-2012, 07:51 PM
Really? :spit: After Jacoby's fumble the score was 7-3. Oh yeah major mountain to climb. That darn Jacoby made Yates throw it to the WR that had triple coverage when the play had 4 other options.

BTW You are forgetting that Yates threw a hand me pick to Webb on our own 34 yard line by staring down AJ on a 2 man route (just throw it away). It put us down 17-3. The he followed that up by throwing 2 picks into double and triple coverage IN THE 4TH quarter. That darn Jacoby. Wake up man. Yates costed us the game, not Jacoby. Get over it.

:vincepalm: What part of rookie 3rd string QB and 5th year starter doesn't compute with you?

Turnovers happen, bad plays happen, bad QB play even happens, but in a sport where you can't control everything, there are things that you can control.

GETTING THE **** AWAY FROM THE BALL AFTER YOU ALREADY MUFFED THE CATCH IS ONE OF THEM!

For Janobody's sake and mental well being I am glad he has your shoulder to cry on though, just be sure to tell him to take his "talents" elsewhere next year.

Carr Bombed
01-22-2012, 07:54 PM
I didn't say he hated him. Jacoby had ZERO targets the whole playoffs. Wake up man. Yates has tunnel vision. He can't see the field.

BTW AJ 15 Targets only 8 catches. Walter 8 targets only 2 catches. Everyone else had 3 targets or less. In Jacoby's case...ZERO.

And why the hell do you think he had zero targets when everyone else had passes thrown their way? Could it be.. GASP, due to the fact that he's a ****ty receiver? I mean I know I'm going out on a limb here by thinking he sucks at his job, but just maybe that's the reason

(BTW that last sentence was complete sarcasm in case you missed it)

cbs1507
01-22-2012, 07:56 PM
I didn't know Jacoby was a 5th year starter.

Being a rookie does not excuse throwing into double and triple coverage on plays with 5 effing options. If #1 option is double/triple teamed, throw it to one of the other options. What happened to captain checkdown jr? Down the stretch he was passing to TE/RBs only. Now he get's AJ back and start's chucking up prayer into coverage. All the while he consistently missed opportunities to move the chains. In the case of the lastt game it costed us because of TOs.

Mr. White
01-22-2012, 07:57 PM

BTW You are forgetting that Yates threw a hand me pick to Webb on our own 34 yard line by staring down AJ on a 2 man route (just throw it away). It put us down 17-3. The he follwed that up by throwing 2 picks into double and triple coverage IN THE 4TH quarter. That darn Jacoby. Wake up man. Yates costed us the game, not Jacoby. Get over it.

Jacoby knew that we had a 3rd string rookie playing just like everyone else. That's why it's that much more important for him to catch a routine punt. Goes to show that he's still got nothing going on upstairs.....just like we already knew.

For the purposes of this thread, I could give a rat's ass about how Yates played. I'm sure he's got his own thread somewhere around here. We all knew what to expect from him. Jacoby's got no excuse.

cbs1507
01-22-2012, 07:59 PM
I believe management will bring in another WR in the offseason by either draft or FA to actually challenge Jacoby. But he will likely be on the team next year, and will have his best statistical season of his career (as a #3 WR).

cbs1507
01-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Jacoby knew that we had a 3rd string rookie playing just like everyone else. That's why it's that much more important for him to catch a routine punt. Goes to show that he's still got nothing going on upstairs.....just like we already knew.

For the purposes of this thread, I could give a rat's ass about how Yates played. I'm sure he's got his own thread somewhere around here. We all knew what to expect from him. Jacoby's got no excuse.

I expected him to miss wide open receivers, because he did that down the stretch. 3 INTs is inexcusable. Point blank. You can frame it however you like.

BTW I am not excusing Jacoby Jones' mistake. It was bonehead. But it did not cost us the game. TJ Yates did.