PDA

View Full Version : Smith Fined $15,000

HOU-TEX
12-08-2011, 05:43 PM
You've got to be kidding me! This is getting to be a joke, no? Does anyone think the hit on Ryan deserved this much of a fine, or any fine for that matter. Penalty? Maybe, but 15 grand??!!

HOUSTON - Houston Texans defensive end Antonio Smith was fined $15,000 by the NFL for his hit on Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan late in the first half of the Texans 17-10 win over Atlanta.

"I'm super disappointed because It's enough that you give us a 15-yard flag for that type of hit and then a $15,000 fine assessed to something so minor like that, it's getting outrageous," Smith said. "The fine system is getting outrageous."

"From my perspective I was coming off the tackle to sack the quarterback, but at the same time you're taught to cuff them with one arm and try to strip the ball with the other," Smith said. "I think when this arm came around it was here on his face, and as I came to strip the ball it kind of made his head look like it turned it, but no blow to the head or anything like that."

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nfl/111208-antonio-smith-fined-%2415%2C000-by-the-nfl

Goatcheese
12-08-2011, 05:46 PM
I hate this commisioner with a white hot passion. YOU ARE RUINING THE SPORT!

TexCanada
12-08-2011, 05:56 PM
That is ridiculous. There was clearly no intent to injure there so the penalty should be adequate punishment.

JWarren14
12-08-2011, 05:57 PM
There was no intent to cause harm in the hit, he basically just slapped Ryan in the face as he was tackling. You almost have to time and have perfect form when hitting the QB to not get flagged. No wonder the NFL is now a Passing League. Drop your QB back and odds are you'll gain at least 15 yards!

Fine is just ridiculous.

Double Barrel
12-08-2011, 05:57 PM
Pathetic. Put a tutu on QBs and make them completely untouchable.

Rey
12-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Anybody think that a couple more incidents like this and Smith will have to sit out a game?

I hope not...

But I can't see Goodell continuing to fine him and not taking away at least one game if it keeps happening...

False Start
12-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Wow... :mcnugget:

The word penalty never crossed my mind after that play. QBs now days...http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/funny.gif

SteveSlaton20
12-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Absolutely ridiculous. That should have only got $5k AT most. And it was not intentional at all.

badboy
12-08-2011, 06:34 PM
It was a hit to the head & hard to determine intent in that moment. NFL needs to get concussions under control. Smith and everyone needs to lay off above the neck blows and also horse collars.

JamesBill
12-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Not as upsetting as the "Hit to the Leg' or 'Blow to the 'Head' after trying to block a pass flags. He was reaching for the QB, it was not impossible to avoid or completely accidental.

I doubt this will contribute to any future suspensions.

thunderkyss
12-08-2011, 08:22 PM
That is ridiculous. There was clearly no intent to injure there so the penalty should be adequate punishment.

This is probably a reputation thing.

The hit looks to be incidental....

This is preposterous (Firefox w/spell-check is awesome).

Hervoyel
12-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Pathetic. Put a tutu on QBs and make them completely untouchable.

Are you sure about that? Tutus are made of that coarse hard nylon mesh material. It can be very abrasive and might chafe their delicate skin.

I don't know if you want to risk trying to outfit them in tutus. You might lose one for the season. Find something softer.

Joe Texan
12-08-2011, 09:20 PM
A full fledged dress and make up then

Big Lou
12-08-2011, 09:42 PM
$15,000 fine for having testicles......

HJam72
12-08-2011, 10:56 PM
At this point, I want to see a QB with long hair so they can grab it and yank him down.

Kthx
12-08-2011, 10:58 PM
This is getting ridiculous, soon it will get to the point where players will start hesitating before making hits because they are afraid the league will steal their money.

QB75
12-08-2011, 11:07 PM
This is getting ridiculous, soon it will get to the point where players will start hesitating before making hits because they are afraid the league will steal their money.

Good. Then the rule change is working.

Texn4life
12-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Anybody think that a couple more incidents like this and Smith will have to sit out a game?

I hope not...

But I can't see Goodell continuing to fine him and not taking away at least one game if it keeps happening...

If Harrison has not been suspended before then I don't see it happening. It would take a Suh like effort for the commish to actually sit a player. Hell, the guy from Minnesota kicked a player from the Packers in the sack and only got a fine.

Kthx
12-08-2011, 11:23 PM

Sarcasm I hope.

clutch
12-09-2011, 01:46 AM
when did this happen.. what quarter? time??

Say Watt
12-09-2011, 01:57 AM
Good gosh. Have there ever been three worse commissioners in charge of the Big 3 than Selig, Stern, and Goodell? I swear the three of them have a conspiracy to try and ruin the three major American sports so soccer and hockey can rule here like they do everywhere else.

Ugh...

ObsiWan
12-09-2011, 02:22 AM
In the immortal words of Jack Lambert after the NFL instituted the "in the grasp" rule for QBs ... "I think they ought to put dresses on them!" ...

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhpCz_E4BC1QStRC8kuHZWcgMxLD9g7 nsPLJOnoHPiudnaD9cZzg

ObsiWan
12-09-2011, 02:40 AM

Sarcasm I hope.

I'm not so sure.....
Look at the nickname...

Seems to me that in olden times there weren't this many QBs getting hurt. But then, those old guys could take a lick and get back up and they called their own plays.

Can you imagine Johnny Unitas or Bart Starr with one of those green dot helmets on being told what plays to run or whinning to the ref because some defensive guy's hand grazed his facemask?

What have they done to our game?

TimeKiller
12-09-2011, 08:52 AM
Maybe next time, next QB he should just **** them up and end their season. Instead of, you know, NOT. How are you gonna get fined for NOT ****ing up a QB?

gwallaia
12-09-2011, 08:59 AM
There is only one solution to this problem of QBs getting hurt.

The NFL should immediately implement a rule where the QBs wear a flag in their belt loop. Once a defender grabs the flag, the QB will be considered down. Any contact by a defender whatsoever should result in a 15 yard penalty, immediate ejection from the game and at a minimum a $50,000 fine and two game suspension.

HOU-TEX
12-09-2011, 09:54 AM
There is only one solution to this problem of QBs getting hurt.

The NFL should immediately implement a rule where the QBs wear a flag in their belt loop. Once a defender grabs the flag, the QB will be considered down. Any contact by a defender whatsoever should result in a 15 yard penalty, immediate ejection from the game and at a minimum a $50,000 fine and two game suspension.

Or...They must wear a tampon with an extended string. When it's yanked out..they're down.

Blake
12-09-2011, 10:13 AM
I'm not so sure.....
Look at the nickname...

Seems to me that in olden times there weren't this many QBs getting hurt. But then, those old guys could take a lick and get back up and they called their own plays.

Can you imagine Johnny Unitas or Bart Starr with one of those green dot helmets on being told what plays to run or whinning to the ref because some defensive guy's hand grazed his facemask?

What have they done to our game?

Could you imagine Johnny Unitas getting hit by those roid Gorilla's in pads NFL teams have on defense?

I dont like all of the rule changes, but at the same time the modern athelete has changed. And unfortunately that change is why some feel the need to start protecting QB's.

thunderkyss
12-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Could you imagine Johnny Unitas getting hit by those roid Gorilla's in pads NFL teams have on defense?

I dont like all of the rule changes, but at the same time the modern athelete has changed. And unfortunately that change is why some feel the need to start protecting QB's.

On the one hand, we don't think the NFL is doing enough to take care of players beyond their playing days. We know some of these guys can't walk, can't stand up straight, can't make a fist....

I agree with most of these rules to protect the QB (some of the hits they take are just brutal & those are the legal ones), defenseless receivers, DLmen, etc...

I don't agree with allowing a players "reputation" affect the punishment, or whether he gets a pass. To a point. Antonio's hit on Ryan wasn't intentional, nor was it bad... a 15 yard penalty should have been enough.

But that hit Harrison put on Colt McCoy was ridiculous & he's been told time & time again to keep his head up, to lead with his shoulder. He can't even argue that McCoy dropped his head (like a RB would)... that was uncalled for & in his case, I think we need to start talking about banning him from the league (not saying he should be banned, but it should be discussed).

bckey
12-09-2011, 12:25 PM
I hate this commisioner with a white hot passion. YOU ARE RUINING THE SPORT!

I've been saying this same thing for a couple of years already. He is like an NFL hitler. I hate the way he screwed the big weekend of the NFL draft and moved it to 3 week nights.

Double Barrel
12-09-2011, 01:37 PM

I think it has more to do with protecting marquee players that sell the NFL brand more than anything else. This is a league to make money, and right or wrong, that has a direct impact on rules in the game.