PDA

View Full Version : This article pissed me off...

ThaJokaa
12-08-2011, 04:20 PM
AFTER LONG, HARD THOUGHT, YOU ARE DISMISSED: Jets, Houston, San Francisco, New Orleans.

As a Jets fan, this pains me, but the Jets are a 'so far' team. As in, with the talent they have, even if they put it all together they can only go so far. This team is not as good as they were a year ago, which in retrospect was probably the year they had the best shot at getting to the Super Bowl. Mark Sanchez only is going to slay so many dragons before a better team ends the Jets' season. The Texans and 49ers both fall into the same category of not being able to score enough when it really counts. Can they play hellacious defense and run the football? You bet. Can they both get a bye and win their first playoff game? Absolutely. But can they outscore teams on the road in the conference title games when they'll have to? If Sanchez can't do it, there's no way T.J. Yates is going to. Ditto Alex Smith. Remember, you need an elite quarterback to win the Super Bowl now. The era of the just-don't-mess-up-the-rest-of-the-great-team-we-have-here quarterback is long over.

Comparing TJ to Sanchez?

The whole piece is here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d824daa82/article/only-four-teams-have-true-shot-at-winning-super-bowl-xlvi?module=HP11_cp

ubecool454
12-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Comparing TJ to Sanchez?

The whole piece is here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d824daa82/article/only-four-teams-have-true-shot-at-winning-super-bowl-xlvi?module=HP11_cp

They wrote this article to get a reaction out of you and anyway it's just one mans opinion.

GP
The guy is a Jets fan.

So let me guess...he probably thinks the Ravens and the Patriots--the two teams the Jets always have a big battle with--are better than these outsider teams that are thousands of miles away from his East Coast bias?

That's my guess. Because he isn't being objective.

The Super Bowl is going to be won by one of the following teams:

1. Patriots

2. Ravens

3. Steelers

4. Texans

or

5. 49ers

6. Saints

7. Packers

IMO, there are SEVEN very solid teams who are in the running. In fact, all seven of these teams are pretty comparable when you look at them...with maybe the Saints and the Packers being the deadliest out of the bunch.

I think the Patriots' defense is suspect, but their offense can overcome that. The Ravens' defense is one of the best, as is the 49ers, in terms of playing consistently good. Then you've got OUR defense to factor into the equation.

Then there's the pesky Steelers who didn't get the memo in week 2 or 3 that they were supposed to lay down and quit.

The writer is hilarious. He should try standup comedy. The Texans, Saints, and 49ers absolutely make the list of likely SB winners.

TdotTexas2Step
The author placed us in the same category as the Saints and the 49ers, that's good company to be around. Perhaps if we had our entire full team intact, we'd get some consideration with the upper echelon.

And if I recall correctly, the Packers weren't expected to do much once the post-season arrived, so take it with a grain of salt.

TheMatrix31
12-08-2011, 04:32 PM
To compare TJ Yates to Mark Sanchez and the Texans to the Jets is utterly absurd because one has an unreal OL, Andre Johnson, Arian Foster, Ben Tate, and Owen Daniels and the other.... well.... doesn't.

Texn4life
12-08-2011, 04:34 PM
I don't get why people get so worked up about what some people outside the organization say about the Texans. If he feels that way then more power to him. There are plenty of examples of teams not lighting up the scoreboard who have gone on to advance far in the playoffs. I'd get more pleasure in seeing the Texans prove people wrong like they did last week when no one said we would win than having everyone riding our jocks and saying "I told you so". Shock the world baby!

CloakNNNdagger
12-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Comparing TJ to Sanchez?

I don't like those statements either. But, for a neutral analysis, they probably are not off the wall. We are all hopeful that TJ is showing us only a fraction of what he can accomplish when needed. We've generated 20 and 17 points in the last 2 games. Our losses........40-33, 25-20, 29-10 shows us what can happen when the D falls down a bit and we can't generate enough to make up for it.

dc_txtech
12-08-2011, 04:35 PM
To compare TJ Yates to Mark Sanchez and the Texans to the Jets is utterly absurd because one has an unreal OL, Andre Johnson, Arian Foster, Ben Tate, and Owen Daniels and the other.... well.... doesn't.

Not to mention one team has a QB guru as a head coach and the other... well... doesn't.

Hookem Horns
12-08-2011, 04:38 PM
How can you compare Yates to anyone right now? The guy has only had one start and is basically an unknown. I think you pretty much know what you are getting out of Sanchez.

Honestly, if I were an outsider I would be writing the Texans off too as a serious contender. Think about it. What if the Packers, Saints or any other team were all of a sudden down to a 3rd string unknown? As an outsider wouldn't you just automatically write that team off as a serious long term threat? In the back of your mind you would be thinking 3rd string rookie, they're out of the running, next.

Double Barrel
12-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Opinions are like [BEEP] yada yada yada and they all stink.

'eh, like mentioned above, it's one dude's take, but he doesn't play the sport and his opinion of things is no greater than the various opinions we see in this forum.

Besides, it's friggin' Jets fan. Who really cares what Jets fan thinks (besides ThaJokaa)? Not I.

Goatcheese
12-08-2011, 04:45 PM
...you need an elite quarterback to win the Super Bowl now.

When did Flacco become an elite QB?

michaelm
12-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Don't most of us always say we'd rather fly under the radar than be considered a contender?

I love this article. It tells me one thing:

We got'em right where we want'em

Texan_Bill
12-08-2011, 04:51 PM
:yawn:

If it's been said once, it's been said 1,000,000 times. Until the Texans actually shut these people, they're going to be skeptical.

infantrycak
12-08-2011, 05:43 PM
If Schaub were still under center I would be pissed at this article. With an unproven QB we hope can meld with a solid team I can understand the article. Schaub can sling it. Ask Baltimore. TJ hopefully can but we don't know. Of course this yahoo doesn't know he can't either.

burro
12-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Did you honestly expect a Houston sports team to get respect because they've won a few games? Never going to happen, even if we win the SB they'll find a way to throw an asterisk on it. Eff em, I say - what do I care what some hired geek thinks about our chances?

Dutchrudder
12-08-2011, 06:35 PM
In all fairness, the author does have a point that Mark Sanchez plays QB like a 5th round rookie.

:kitten:

badboy
12-08-2011, 06:39 PM
He could be right but he is not.

Double Barrel
12-08-2011, 06:45 PM
In all fairness, the author does have a point that Mark Sanchez plays QB like a 5th round rookie.

lol! That's a great way to look at it! :thumbup

JCTexan
12-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Haters gonna hate... What makes Baltimore better than Houston? Is it because Yates is unproven? Flacco has looked awful at times this year. That Baltimore offense had difficulty getting a first down against Jville. What makes people think they won't struggle once they get into the playoffs? Pittsburgh is a great team, but Houston has already beaten them once and if they face-off in the playoffs that game is likely going to be played in Houston, not on the road. New England? Yes, they have Brady but their defense has been awful this year. That game could be a shootout but who says the defense can't hold Brady to 20 points?

And what makes the author think Houston can't score points when it matters? Did that nineteen play, ten minute drive that resulted in the game winning drive not matter? And why compare Yates to Sanchez? One has proven to be nothing special, while the other is unproven. You might as well compare Dalton, Newton and all the other rookie QB's to Sanchez. That seems like a pathetic job of comparing QB's to me.

There are seven legit contenders to win the super bowl right now. Green Bay, San Francisco, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Houston, New Orleans & New England.

Say Watt
12-08-2011, 06:53 PM
This guy is dumb. The Jets wish they had Houston's running game. Shonn Greene and an over the hill LT don't compare to Arian, Tate, and Ward. Not even close.

TEXANRED
12-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Well...Texans...you just got called out. Now what are you going to do? Prove them wrong or prove them right?

thunderkyss
12-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Comparing TJ to Sanchez?

I love it.

This late in the season, the more locker room material you've got, the easier it is to sell that the "whole world" is doubting you, the easier it is to get them boys on Kirby riled up.

thunderkyss
12-08-2011, 08:28 PM

1. Patriots

2. Ravens

3. Steelers

4. Texans

or

5. 49ers

6. Saints

7. Packers

IMO, there are SEVEN very solid teams who are in the running.

If the 49ers & Texans meet in the Super Bowl, a lot of people are going to have to rethink their philosophy.

QB75
12-08-2011, 08:36 PM
The guy is a Jets fan.

So let me guess...he probably thinks the Ravens and the Patriots--the two teams the Jets always have a big battle with--are better than these outsider teams that are thousands of miles away from his East Coast bias?

That's my guess. Because he isn't being objective.

1. Patriots

2. Ravens

3. Steelers

4. Texans

or

5. 49ers

6. Saints

7. Packers

IMO, there are SEVEN very solid teams who are in the running. In fact, all seven of these teams are pretty comparable when you look at them...with maybe the Saints and the Packers being the deadliest out of the bunch.

I think the Patriots' defense is suspect, but their offense can overcome that. The Ravens' defense is one of the best, as is the 49ers, in terms of playing consistently good. Then you've got OUR defense to factor into the equation.

Then there's the pesky Steelers who didn't get the memo in week 2 or 3 that they were supposed to lay down and quit.

The writer is hilarious. He should try standup comedy. The Texans, Saints, and 49ers absolutely make the list of likely SB winners.

With Schaub they were contenders, but not with a rookie QB. That is our Achilles heal.

thunderkyss
12-08-2011, 08:36 PM
How can you compare Yates to anyone right now? The guy has only had one start and is basically an unknown. I think you pretty much know what you are getting out of Sanchez.

Honestly, if I were an outsider I would be writing the Texans off too as a serious contender.

I think it has more to do with the similarity this team has with the AFC Championship game appearing Jets of the last two years. They did it running the ball, playing solid defense, & limited mistakes/plays from the QB position.

I really think it's more of a complement than a knock; he is a Jets fan.

MEGA SWATT
12-08-2011, 11:28 PM
They guy is a hater.

Hardcore Texan
12-08-2011, 11:45 PM
When did Flacco become an elite QB?

This!

Yep!

Put me in the "I love it" club, cause I do. Print this crap out and post it in the locker room.

ChampionTexan
12-09-2011, 12:09 AM
In fairness to Jason Smith, he's specifically talking about the Jets in the conference championship games ('09 & '10), and if you look at '09, the Jets had the #1 ranked regular season defense, and the #1 ranked regular season running game, so it's actually a pretty valid comparison. In '10, the Jets D dropped to #3 and their run game to #4, bit it's still a reasonable comparison.

The ironic thing is that the point it overlooks is that Yates is an unproven commodity - even after a game and a half. We know exactly who Mark Sanchez is - well, we know exactly who 2009 and 2010 Mark Sanchez was anyway - and the case that he was the primary thing keeping the Jets out of Super Bowls is not a hard one to make. So what it means is the main area in which we don't know how the 2011 Texans compare to the 2009 & 2010 Jets is the one that ended up being their achilles heel.

Finally, he makes the assumption we'd be on the road for the AFC Championship, and that is certainly not a given either.

The Pencil Neck
12-09-2011, 02:56 AM
With Schaub they were contenders, but not with a rookie QB. That is our Achilles heal.

An interesting misspelling.

Regardless, no rookie QB has ever won a SB.

But there's a first time for everything! :trophy:

JamesBill
12-09-2011, 02:59 AM
I would rather have TJ. My guess is he will turn the ball over less than Sanchez.

Showtime100
12-09-2011, 03:41 AM
I don't get why people get so worked up about what some people outside the organization say about the Texans. If he feels that way then more power to him. There are plenty of examples of teams not lighting up the scoreboard who have gone on to advance far in the playoffs. I'd get more pleasure in seeing the Texans prove people wrong like they did last week when no one said we would win than having everyone riding our jocks and saying "I told you so". Shock the world baby!

Agreed. This guy is a joke to begin with.

chicagotexan2
12-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Not to mention one team has a QB guru as a head coach and the other... well... doesn't.

YEah but we don't have a portly foot guru

El Tejano
12-09-2011, 09:54 AM
If he's such a Jets fan, he should know that his Mark Sanchez QB beat out Phillip Rivers (who by many "experts" is known as an elite QB.) in the playoffs to get to the AFC Championship game because his team ran the ball very well that day and played some really good defense.

2BCF
12-09-2011, 11:01 AM
At least we have our own stadium, in our home state.
:D

Dread-Head
12-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Meh...he's a frustrated Jets fan whose seen his team go "so far". Oh well.

Hardcore Texan
12-09-2011, 01:55 PM
An interesting misspelling.

Regardless, no rookie QB has ever won a SB.

But there's a first time for everything! :trophy:

Ben Rothlesiberger would disagree with the bolded.

*edit. I am wrong, it was his second year!

thunderkyss
12-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Ben Rothlesiberger would disagree with the bolded.

*edit. I am wrong, it was his second year!

Sorry I was way wrong on this