PDA

View Full Version : Charley Casserly Interview on Sirrus Radio


Vinny
04-28-2005, 04:05 PM
Good interview (http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/open/2003/texans/demand/casserlyaudio042805.rm&proto=rtsp) with Charley Casserly on the picks and the Texans on Sirrus Radio. You will need real player to hear it.

edo783
04-28-2005, 04:25 PM
Good conversation. Thanks.

tiger06
04-28-2005, 04:26 PM
Sweetness! thanks Vinny. :thumbup

Blake
04-28-2005, 04:44 PM
Good stuff. I would still like someone to ask him why they decided to pass on DJ. Im not saying we should have gotten him, because I am happy with TJ. But I just want to know what he and DC, thought of him.

swisher
04-28-2005, 04:46 PM
I think they've said already...they were not even going to consider a linebacker.

GLM
04-28-2005, 04:57 PM
Thanks for posting the interview.

Hoss
04-28-2005, 05:09 PM
heard C.C.(on dan patrick show) saying something about they just wanted to get a 3rd round(for next year)from the saints and thats why they passed up the 13th pick.also he went on to say that they knew that dj and tj both would still be there by the time they picked and whoever was left they would pick up.and also C.C. had said that he wanted to trade up to the 20 spot but changed there mind at the last min.

texasguy346
04-28-2005, 07:09 PM
Really good interview. Helps clear up the Glenn issue in my mind. They also gave CC alot of credit for the Henson trade. Good interview overall.

scourge
04-28-2005, 07:13 PM
My girlfriend and I had a 10-15 minute conversation with Mr. Casserly yesterday while we were walking from the parking lot to the Marriott for the Touchdown Club dinner. He was more open than I would've expected him to be. I wont go into detail of our conversation, but the jist of it is that DJ was never really a serious target for us. That was part of the typical Casserly deception. While I know he is a good BS'er, I honestly believe everything he said to me. He's a great guy and I have more respect for him now than I had before. He asked as many questions about us as we did of him and seemed genuinely interested. After the Dinner luck would have it that we walked out the about the same time as him again and he approached us to continue our conversation and ask what we thought of the dinner. Very classy guy.

nunusguy
04-28-2005, 08:05 PM
C.C. had said that he wanted to trade up to the 20 spot but changed there mind at the last min.
The 20th spot, that would be the Cowboys. Maybe they were anxious about
Spears still being on the Board or maybe they themselves wanted TJ ?
Cass spins it real good, but sometimes he does compromise his own credibility. For example, he said one of the reasons he traded down with the Saints was to get their 3rd rounder because that is a valuable pick even if it
is in 2006. Agreed. Well Charle, earlier you discounted the importance of throwing this years 3rd rounder in with the 2nd rounder to get PB because it was no big deal 'cause only 30% of 3rd rounders make it in the NFL. C'mon
Charlie, can't have it both ways. OK to spin it some, but be careful you don't cross yourself.

Vinny
04-28-2005, 08:09 PM
Cass spins it real good, but sometimes he does compromise his own credibility. For example, he said one of the reasons he traded down with the Saints was to get their 3rd rounder because that is a valuable pick even if it
is in 2006. Agreed. Well Charle, earlier you discounted the importance of throwing this years 3rd rounder in with the 2nd rounder to get PB because it was no big deal 'cause only 30% of 3rd rounders make it in the NFL. C'mon
Charlie, can't have it both ways. OK to spin it some, but be careful you don't cross yourself.Charlie hasn't lost any credibility. He loves to get extra picks to give him flexability when securing prospects he desires. We do know that in the future when he gets multiple picks he likes to use them to package for talent grabs. We have used extra picks the last few years as attempts to upgrade quality over adding quantity. Hollings, Babin and Buchanon are all the by-product of extra picks being packaged from rounds where he has at least two picks. This strategy allows us to move up easier and to use as pawns in trades.

Davis37
04-28-2005, 08:13 PM
Charlie hasn't lost any credibility. He loves to get extra picks to give him flexability when securing prospects he desires. We do know that in the future when he gets multiple picks he likes to use them to package for talent grabs. We have used extra picks the last few years as attempts to upgrade quality over adding quantity. Hollings, Babin and Buchanon are all the by-product of extra picks being packaged from rounds where he has at least two picks. This strategy allows us to move up easier and to use as pawns in trades.

Yeah, he will prob use that 3rd rounder and our 1st next year to trade up and get the LT he wants next year (if we dont suck this year and get high draft pick anyway). It would be nice if we could get a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Ragone :)

nunusguy
04-28-2005, 08:43 PM
Charlie hasn't lost any credibility. He loves to get extra picks to give him flexability when securing prospects he desires.
And I commend him for securing an extra pick for next years Draft thru the NO trade because any first day pick is a valuable asset. And to be consistant and credible, he should not attempt to discount the value of a third round pick he had to include as part of the consideration to secure the Raiders trade for PB by saying giving up a third rounder is no big deal because 30%
of 3rd round picks don't start.
*************************************
"Losing a third-round pick, which, according to general manager Charley Casserly, only amounts to a starter 30 percent of the time, is offset by the Texans’ other third-round choice they received from the Dallas Cowboys in the Drew Henson trade."
http://houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=1638

Vinny
04-28-2005, 08:47 PM
Facts are facts, I don't know why you are hung up on the 30% figure....he has traded for, and out of the 3rd & 4th rounds so far in his time here. I don't find his dealings hypocritical or inconsistent.

Honoring Earl 34
04-28-2005, 09:45 PM
:woot The object is to get more chances . Two 3rds equal a 60% chance for one starter .

Dunta_23
04-28-2005, 09:52 PM
apparently next year is a stronger draft class as well... maybe he would rather have the pick next year

canadiantexan
04-28-2005, 10:18 PM
apparently next year is a stronger draft class as well... maybe he would rather have the pick next year

Next year should indeed be a much stronger draft class particularly at offensive line where this years class was pretty weak. There are a couple of great left tackle prospects I'm sure that Cass will have his eye on over the course of the next college football year. The pick up of the 3rd rounder should give Cass alot of room for the draft time wheeling and dealing he loves so much. It could be used to move into the top five picks or it could be used to obtain a second first rounder.

infantrycak
04-28-2005, 10:34 PM
heard C.C.(on dan patrick show) saying something about they just wanted to get a 3rd round(for next year)from the saints and thats why they passed up the 13th pick.also he went on to say that they knew that dj and tj both would still be there by the time they picked and whoever was left they would pick up.and also C.C. had said that he wanted to trade up to the 20 spot but changed there mind at the last min.

Wow, good example of hearing the same interview two entirely different ways. What I heard and am trying to relate as closely as possible--place spin on it as I am sure you will:

We had the opportunity to get a 3rd round and still get the guy we wanted (the same guy we would have picked at #13 given the option between TJ and DJ) and pick up a 3rd round next year which is a valuable pick and still get our guy. Didn't hear anything about knowing both DJ and TJ would be there at either #13 or #16 and flat out heard him say they would have taken TJ at #13 if they couldn't trade back. Said they had an offer (very different thing than they wanted to--you can offer to buy my dog, doesn't mean I want to sell him to you) trade back again, but they didn't believe the guy they would get there would fill a need as well as TJ would at #16 so they didn't do it.

Interesting how different that is.

canadiantexan
04-28-2005, 10:38 PM
Wow, good example of hearing the same interview two entirely different ways. What I heard and am trying to relate as closely as possible--place spin on it as I am sure you will:

We had the opportunity to get a 3rd round and still get the guy we wanted (the same guy we would have picked at #13 given the option between TJ and DJ) and pick up a 3rd round next year which is a valuable pick and still get our guy. Didn't hear anything about knowing both DJ and TJ would be there at either #13 or #16 and flat out heard him say they would have taken TJ at #13 if they couldn't trade back. Said they had an offer (very different thing than they wanted to--you can offer to buy my dog, doesn't mean I want to sell him to you) trade back again, but they didn't believe the guy they would get there would fill a need as well as TJ would at #16 so they didn't do it.

Interesting how different that is.

That was my take on the interview too. It is very interesting how different people hear things differently.

tacoman_j
04-29-2005, 01:30 PM
http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/open/nflfilms/demand/s2005/tabill/off/charley_casserly_segment_300k.rm&proto=rtsp&rpcontexturl=http://www.nfl.com/fieldpass/includes/promo&rpcontextwidth=417

El Tejano
04-29-2005, 01:41 PM
Really good interview. Helps clear up the Glenn issue in my mind. They also gave CC alot of credit for the Henson trade. Good interview overall.
What exactly did he say about the Glenn issue that cleared things up? :confused:

TheOgre
05-02-2005, 08:27 AM
:woot The object is to get more chances . Two 3rds equal a 60% chance for one starter .

Actually you cannot just add the percentages together.

Statistically there is a 9% chance we get 2 starters (.30 X .30), a 49% we get no starters (.70 X .70), and a 42% chance that we get exactly 1 starter (100%-9%-49%)*. You could also say there is a 51% chance we get at least 1 starter if we have two 3rd rounders.

* I could give a complex formula for this, but I choose to keep it simple.

texasguy346
05-02-2005, 08:59 AM
What exactly did he say about the Glenn issue that cleared things up? :confused:

Around 10 minutes into the interview they talk about Glenn, and how hard it was for CC to part with him. He details how they didn't cut Glenn, but they allowed AG to do what he wanted to do. Glenn decided that the Cowboys situation was a better fit for him, and the Texans granted him his release so he could pursue that. Guess you missed that bit.

Trapped
05-02-2005, 10:57 AM
Actually you cannot just add the percentages together.

Statistically there is a 9% chance we get 2 starters (.30 X .30), a 49% we get no starters (.70 X .70), and a 42% chance that we get exactly 1 starter (100%-9%-49%)*. You could also say there is a 51% chance we get at least 1 starter if we have two 3rd rounders.

* I could give a complex formula for this, but I choose to keep it simple.
Well i got my own formula, Pack a 3rd rounder and a 2nd rounder together in a trade and u get an immediate starter. :)

Since Casserly loves trading 2nd round picks away, he will probably do that again next year and use a 3rd rounder as a pawn in his chess game.

TheOgre
05-03-2005, 09:38 AM
I would too with the way his 2nd round selections have gone to date.

SESupergenius
05-03-2005, 09:53 AM
He details how they didn't cut Glenn, but they allowed AG to do what he wanted to do. .All this AFTER they brought in another starter. The writing was on the wall, of course nobody wants to look like the bad guy. They did the same thing with Sharper. It's more like "Hey we are bringing in somebody else to start, what are you gonna do?"

But really, Casserlys will never let you see his cards so it's very had to tell what really was going on one way or another. You can quote him all day and still will never know the truth. I take his comments like a grain of salt. He basically similar to Presidents Press Secretary.

texasguy346
05-03-2005, 10:22 AM
Well as far as I can tell both parties seem to be pretty pleased with the whole situation. Glenn has no harsh feelings about the Texans, and he seems to be happy to have a chance to play with his old coach BP. The Texans seem like they're content with the CB situation. So in the end Glenn got what he wanted, and the Texans got what they wanted.

Meloy
05-03-2005, 03:55 PM
Well as far as I can tell both parties seem to be pretty pleased with the whole situation. Glenn has no harsh feelings about the Texans, and he seems to be happy to have a chance to play with his old coach BP. The Texans seem like they're content with the CB situation. So in the end Glenn got what he wanted, and the Texans got what they wanted.

I thought I read in Chronicle that Glenn would have received $4million this season with Houston but signed 2 year deal with Dallas for less than that. Math is definitely not my strong point, I gave up on Mr. Statistic's percentage listed above after about ten words. Glad he used the simpler formula. But how is 2 years at less than what Glenn would have earned in Htown "getting what he wanted?" I think it was the best he could do to keep him as closed to home as possible. He ain't going to start in Dallas either.

TheOgre
05-03-2005, 04:04 PM
I gave up on Mr. Statistic's percentage listed above after about ten words. Glad he used the simpler formula.

LOL. :)


But how is 2 years at less than what Glenn would have earned in Htown "getting what he wanted?" I think it was the best he could do to keep him as closed to home as possible. He ain't going to start in Dallas either.

I think he "got what he wanted" AFTER they had already made the move to bring in Buchanon and bench Glenn. He had a choice of staying with the Texans (they probably would have forced him to reduce his cap figure before the season anyways) or go to Dallas. Either way he would likely be the nickel back. This way he goes to a situation he prefers.

texasguy346
05-03-2005, 04:06 PM
I thought I read in Chronicle that Glenn would have received $4million this season with Houston but signed 2 year deal with Dallas for less than that. Math is definitely not my strong point, I gave up on Mr. Statistic's percentage listed above after about ten words. Glad he used the simpler formula. But how is 2 years at less than what Glenn would have earned in Htown "getting what he wanted?" I think it was the best he could do to keep him as closed to home as possible. He ain't going to start in Dallas either.

Glenn was given the option of staying with the Texans, or the option of pursuing an agreement with another team. Glenn obviously opted to be released, and the Texans obliged him. All reports suggest that he had the agreement with Dallas all but signed prior to his release. I don't believe money was his motivation. In fact none of us truly know his motivation, but whatever it was he seems content to play for Bill Parcells once again. If he wanted to remain a Texan as a nickleback or competeing for the starting job he had the option of staying in Houston. He opted to take his chances with Dallas and BP. So in other words Glenn made his decision, and he was happy with it.

Lucky
05-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Glenn was given the option of staying with the Texans, or the option of pursuing an agreement with another team. Glenn obviously opted to be released, and the Texans obliged him. All reports suggest that he had the agreement with Dallas all but signed prior to his release. I don't believe money was his motivation.
Glenn was given the option to remain on the team. But making the team and earning his $4 million salary was not a given. The Texans made it pretty clear that he could lose his spot on the team in camp. The smart move by Glenn was to move on to a team that's willing to give him some guaranteed money, thus more or less guaranteeing him a roster spot. Glenn choose the $1.765 million in hand from the cowgirls rather than the $4 million in the Reliant Park bush that he probably wouldn't see. Money is always part of the motivation factor.

Texan Dave
05-03-2005, 07:13 PM
Plus he said in an interview posted on the cowboys web site the he could see the potential for some personal conflicts between the personell. In his statements he came to the Texans and offered to leave to keep a potential problem from becoming a definate one.

kramesman
05-05-2005, 07:41 AM
Audio interviews with Casserly & Carr
www.houstonsportsoffhand.com

threetoedpete
05-11-2005, 09:45 AM
That was my take on the interview too. It is very interesting how different people hear things differently.

Me too.

I don't KNOW DJ will ever get over the point of attack thingy. But if we DJ lovers were correct, KC will be in the hunt with SD this season for a division crown. Gonna be fun. Travis Johnson has a chance to be a very good player. And he deffinalty helps the team. And I love CC wheelin' and dealin'. Just don't urinate on my pants leg and tell me it's raining. If, we end up with a franchise left tackle next year not from UT, with the extra 3, it was a good deal. Who knows Wand might acually have a quantum leap this year. Freeny might get hurt. But there comes a point in time when your "we can get offensive lineman anywhere in the draft "therory needs to get the handle pulled and flushed. Also, how many more pieces does this
D need to get itself into the top ten ? I said all along one of the two lines had to be fixed this offseason befor we go anywhere. I still stand by that. Saw the first 12-4 post Vinny. Mark it.

NoBullTexan
05-20-2005, 03:42 PM
I think it relates to motive. People hear things the way they want to hear them, not for what was actually said. :rolleyes: