PDA

View Full Version : Lets Talk Cincinnati Bengals

corytx8
12-05-2011, 06:20 AM
Hey Guys, I want to be the first to say that, it is awesome waking up Monday to a Houston Texans victory in Guam. It is a great way to start my week off.

Yesterday it was a great victory hands down. However, season isn't over yet and like to hear everyones thoughts about the Cinninnati Bengals. Lets discuss our next opponent here.

HJam72
12-05-2011, 06:33 AM
Tough game on the road against a good team that will be ticked about getting beaten badly by Pittsburgh yesterday. They also need the win more than we do, as this game is already a penciled-in loss (for many of us fans, that is; I'm sure Brian Cushing for one is still chomping at the bit though).

They have to get ready for the second coming of that Pitt defense (as we are just as good), though, and Yates doesn't seem to be guaranteeing any of our opponents an easy victory.

I have to assume Cinci wins this one, if only because they need it more, it's in Cinci, and winning it would have us expecting a 10 game winning streak and a 13-3 season (unlikely as Hell); but, here's to a 13-3 season! :fans:

thunderkyss
12-05-2011, 07:24 AM
We're not going to go undefeated the rest of the season. I think we know that. I think the team knows that. I think Kubiak & his whole staff knows that. I think Bob McNair & his lackeys (Rick Smith, I'm looking at you) know that.

But we're going to win the next game.

Trail.Blazr
12-05-2011, 08:20 AM
We're not going to go undefeated the rest of the season. I think we know that. I think the team knows that. I think Kubiak & his whole staff knows that. I think Bob McNair & his lackeys (Rick Smith, I'm looking at you) know that.

I wouldn't be so surprised to see them win out. This team doesn't be willing to concede anything, base on what I've seen.

I figured Atlanta to be our toughest opponent wit 5 remaining. Despite the officiator's best efforts to prevent it, Houston won.

Granted, Bungholes is a road game, but they are very beatable by a good team, which Houston is.

I'm actually more concerned with Cam Newton's visit to Houston, but .... 1 game at a time :-)

thunderkyss
12-05-2011, 08:25 AM
.... 1 game at a time :-)

That's pretty much what I meant,

We're not going undefeated, but we're going to win the next one.

Thorn
12-05-2011, 08:31 AM
The Bengays are fighting for their playoff lives, we're not in such a bad position. A home game for them and we're really REALLY banged up. Everyone, including a lot of folks on this board (me included) are expcecting the Texans to lose this one.

Which is why they'll probably win and send blood pressures soaring throughout Cincinnati and Houston. After Leinart went down, I projected the Texans to win two, maybe three games the rest of the season, with Atlanta and the Bengones both being loses. Obviouisly I underestimated them.

dinkatoid
12-05-2011, 09:27 AM
Cinci has a great D, but they are also kinda banged up. Losing their top CB is really going to hurt them, though it won't be as big if we don't have AJ. Their pass rush all revolves around one guy, so if we can keep Dunlap contained, I think we will be ok.

Their offense is efficient, but not great by any means. Dalton has been a solid game manager who can make the occasional big play, but it seems that a large amount of them are all towards AJ Green, who is not 100%. I think that if Joseph can nullify Green, we have a great chance to stop their O.

Cedric Benson is an OK rb, but has not played as well this season as he had when he broke out 2 seasons ago. They have some other speedsters at WR, but nobody that really stands out to me. Their O line was struggling early, but it seems like they have picked it up a bit to be a fairly solid line as of late.

Hervoyel
12-05-2011, 09:39 AM
I wouldn't be so surprised to see them win out. This team doesn't be willing to concede anything, base on what I've seen.

I figured Atlanta to be our toughest opponent wit 5 remaining. Despite the officiator's best efforts to prevent it, Houston won.

Granted, Bungholes is a road game, but they are very beatable by a good team, which Houston is.

I'm actually more concerned with Cam Newton's visit to Houston, but .... 1 game at a time :-)

Been worried about that one for a while now. He's the kind of QB that traditionally has given us fits.... only he can throw as well as run.

One game at a time.

Big Lou
12-05-2011, 09:43 AM
The funny thing is that the consensus was that we would probably lose the ATL and CIN games even with Schaub, now we beat ATL with our 3rd string Rookie! I had a feeling yesterday that we would win, and after Houston won, I think anything is possible at this point!!!!

I think CIN over performed a little early in the season and maybe this is the true form of CIN, I give it a 65% chance we beat them. If we can get after the Red Headed Step Child QB I think it could be a win.

Was awesome to see 95% of the analysts wrong yesterday!!!!

Thorn
12-05-2011, 09:57 AM
The funny thing is that the consensus was that we would probably lose the ATL and CIN games even with Schaub, now we beat ATL with our 3rd string Rookie! I had a feeling yesterday that we would win, and after Houston won, I think anything is possible at this point!!!!

I think CIN over performed a little early in the season and maybe this is the true form of CIN, I give it a 65% chance we beat them. If we can get after the Red Headed Step Child QB I think it could be a win.

Was awesome to see 95% of the analysts wrong yesterday!!!!

95%??? There were analysts that picked to Texans to win yesterday? I didn't see any on ESPN or NFLN or Inside the NFL. I thought it was a lock across the board that the Texans were to lose yesterday. LOL

Playoffs
12-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Dalton-to-Green will be a phrase we'll be hearing for years to come.

I can't express enough how impressed I am by Dalton. Green has been killing it without a confident grasp on the playbook, yet.

HOU-TEX
12-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Wasn't Dalton knocked out of the game yesterday? Dunno what happened but I saw he was on the sideline during highlights. Anyone?

ObsiWan
12-05-2011, 10:19 AM
95%??? There were analysts that picked to Texans to win yesterday? I didn't see any on ESPN or NFLN or Inside the NFL. I thought it was a lock across the board that the Texans were to lose yesterday. LOL

All the CBS Sportsline and FoxSports talking heads picked us to lose too.

El Tejano
12-05-2011, 10:21 AM

Phil Simms was straight facing Chris Collinsworth and Warren Sapp while they were laughing at him when he chose us on Inside The NFL.

Terry Bradshaw and Jimmy Johnson both picked us on FOX.

ObsiWan
12-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Wasn't Dalton knocked out of the game yesterday? Dunno what happened but I saw he was on the sideline during highlights. Anyone?

From the CBS sportsline.com Bengals/Steelers recap...

Rookie quarterback Andy Dalton (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1125961/andy-dalton) passed for just 135 yards, was sacked three times by Pittsburgh linebacker James Harrison (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/303162/james-harrison) and spent the fourth quarter on the bench as a preventative measure with the game out of reach.

No injury to Dalton.

redwhiteANDblue
12-05-2011, 10:34 AM
I don't see what's so scary about this game. Bengals have looked trash against real teams. I thought the falcons game was a bit more tougher but still thought we would win. I see no excuse not to win this one and we should have that mentality.

thunderkyss
12-05-2011, 10:41 AM
I don't see what's so scary about this game. Bengals have looked trash against real teams.

I think that's the point.

We might say it every week, it seems like we do anyway. But none of us are comfortable about what we "know" about our team. Just when you think you have them figured out, something else happens that wipes the board clean & forces you to go back to square one.

Maybe halfway through the second Qtr, we all got comfortable "knowing" what we had in TJ Yates. Then we lose Andre (again). WTF......

We've got the play-offs coming up & none of us wants this team to fall flat on its collective faces. If we are a real team, which we'll find out in Cincinnati (like we found out after Pittsburgh, then after NO, then @ Tennessee, @Jacksonville.... etc... )

santo
12-05-2011, 10:53 AM

LOL. Shannon Sharpe and Boomer picked us yesterday. Funny thing was, when Marino and Cowher looked at Shannon, he pointed to his championship belt.

Norg
12-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Tough road game in prob shitty weather TBO IDKnow whos going to win ........

all i know is the Carolina game will be no cake walk either heck IMO every game from here on out will be tought even the colts IMO colts will play with mad pride when they face us on primetime they dont wanna go 0-16

Thorn
12-05-2011, 10:58 AM
LOL. Shannon Sharpe and Boomer picked us yesterday. Funny thing was, when Marino and Cowher looked at Shannon, he pointed to his championship belt.

I didn't watch the pre game on either FOX or CBS, I had it on NFLN. I almost never watch the pre-games on the regular channels. But I am glad to know that at least a few folks believed in the Texans.

drs23
12-05-2011, 11:36 AM
I didn't watch the pre game on either FOX or CBS, I had it on NFLN. I almost never watch the pre-games on the regular channels. But I am glad to know that at least a few folks believed in the Texans.

I'm just the opposite. I can't stand Sapp, Ervin or Sanders. All three give me a rash.

michaelm
12-05-2011, 11:48 AM

all i know is the Carolina game will be no cake walk either heck IMO every game from here on out will be tought even the colts IMO colts will play with mad pride when they face us on primetime they dont wanna go 0-16

Weather Channel shows clear skies and in the low 40s for Cincy on Sunday.

The Pencil Neck
12-05-2011, 11:50 AM
I need to watch yesterday's game to see what happened against the Steelers. BUT... I've been watching the Bengal's games the past 4-5 weeks.

They're a good team.

But we're better.

My biggest fear was that Yates was going to come in and be the next coming of Bradlee Van Pelt and Alex Brink. But now I think Yates is actually better than Leinart. Much better. He stretches the field.

We can beat these guys with Yates at the helm.

Texaninlild
12-05-2011, 12:26 PM
The Bengays are fighting for their playoff lives, we're not in such a bad position. A home game for them and we're really REALLY banged up. Everyone, including a lot of folks on this board (me included) are expcecting the Texans to lose this one.

Which is why they'll probably win and send blood pressures soaring throughout Cincinnati and Houston. After Leinart went down, I projected the Texans to win two, maybe three games the rest of the season, with Atlanta and the Bengones both being loses. Obviouisly I underestimated them.

There were 8 technically of the 45 on pick'ems that took Atl, 7 of those count. So about 15% of you bet against the Texans.

drs23
12-05-2011, 12:57 PM
There were 8 technically of the 45 on pick'ems that took Atl, 7 of those count. So about 15% of you bet against the Texans.

I picked the Texans but I sure blew it on a bunch of others. :mad:

Big Lou
12-05-2011, 01:44 PM

I saw some of the 1st string TV guys pick us on the bigger shows, but I saw a ton of B-Teamers on the lower tier NFL Shows and a lot of the internet guys pick ATL. Maybe 95% was a little of an exageration, but it was certainly the vast majority.

The Pencil Neck
12-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Soooo...

Andy Dalton injured his hip and Bruce Gradkowski may be the Bengal's QB?

HOU-TEX
12-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Soooo...

Andy Dalton injured his hip and Bruce Gradkowski may be the Bengal's QB?

Nah, I was watching NFLN at lunch and they were saying his benching had more to do with getting throttled by the Steelers than injury. They said his hip injury came earlier in the game. They finally decided to pull him when they knew the game was over.

TexansFanatic
12-05-2011, 02:24 PM
For what it's worth:

Bengals favored by 3 points.

drs23
12-05-2011, 02:26 PM
For what it's worth:

So the standard home team three point fav so it's head's up pic'em.

TexansForTheW
12-05-2011, 02:26 PM
For what it's worth:

You have to be stupid to bet on this one. Two rookie qb's against two great defenses.

srrono
12-05-2011, 02:30 PM
I think that's the point.

We might say it every week, it seems like we do anyway. But none of us are comfortable about what we "know" about our team. Just when you think you have them figured out, something else happens that wipes the board clean & forces you to go back to square one.

Maybe halfway through the second Qtr, we all got comfortable "knowing" what we had in TJ Yates. Then we lose Andre (again). WTF......

We've got the play-offs coming up & none of us wants this team to fall flat on its collective faces. If we are a real team, which we'll find out in Cincinnati (like we found out after Pittsburgh, then after NO, then @ Tennessee, @Jacksonville.... etc... )
yes i was impresed with Yates accept he did seem to stare down receivers which can hurt in the future.

JCTexan
12-05-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm really not as worried about this game as I was against Atlanta. Cincinnati has beaten the weaker opponents and have lost to the better teams (Pitt x2, Balt, SF). I expect a tough game on the road for Houston but I expect them to come away with a win.

JCTexan
12-05-2011, 03:07 PM

I honestly don't see why they can't go undefeated. Cincinnati hasn't been able to beat the good teams yet, and the rest of the schedule doesn't look too difficult to me.

BullNation4Life
12-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Hey somebody with some Texans hook ups remind the defense that it was Cincy that laid down for the Jets 2 years ago that knocked the Texans out of playoff contention...

Maybe they can extract a bit of revenge on them and keep them losing....

Trail.Blazr
12-05-2011, 03:47 PM
One of my most deflating moments as a Texan Fan was the Bengal game in 2003 where Houston basically introduced Rudy Johnson to the world.

I'd love to see Ben Tate pay them SOB's back with a similar 184 yard performance in their yard. I'm sure Arian may have something to say, which will be cool too, but Ben needs to unleash!

srrono
12-05-2011, 04:03 PM
MC790 Michael Connor
Cincinnati Bengals: 6-0 versus teams w/losing records. 1-5 versus teams with winning records. Only win versus a winning team- Tennesse wk 9.

HOU-TEX
12-05-2011, 04:38 PM
I think this game will be even tougher than the Falcon game. A better defense than the Falcons and on the road without the home crowd. The Bengals will be pissed after getting mauled by the Steelers.

How will TJ's first road game go? Dunno bout this one

fiasco west
12-05-2011, 05:13 PM

I don't think this team is thinking past Cincy. They have that mentality now. One game at a time.

EVOLVIST
12-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Lubricate the bull's horns, because they're going right up the Bungholes' backsides. It will be the hottest 40 degrees in Cincy since The Great Fire of 1866.

The Dalton Gang will get imprisoned, 5 sacks at least.

A great rusty cheer will go up in the halls of Cleveland!

Don't twitch. Don't even move a muscle againt Wade's Super-D-struction.

53 dead in Ohio.
(sorry Neil)

JWarren14
12-05-2011, 05:58 PM
I didn't watch the Bengals v Steelers game, but from I what I read the game was actually a lot closer than the score indicated. A lot of early mistakes put the Bengals in a hole early.

Every game in the NFL is a tough game, there are no easy wins. 1-0 Sunday

TheMatrix31
12-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Hey somebody with some Texans hook ups remind the defense that it was Cincy that laid down for the Jets 2 years ago that knocked the Texans out of playoff contention...

Maybe they can extract a bit of revenge on them and keep them losing....

Exactly. I hope we beat the living shit out of this team.

I like Dalton though.

QB75
12-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Cincy is a pretty good team with their backs against the wall, coming off a loss, at home.

If there is a logical loss out there for us this is probably it, but if we get past this game we could win out.

badboy
12-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Wouldn't you like to see JJ and Walter finally step up and be WRs?

SteveSlaton20
12-05-2011, 10:28 PM
They're 3-2 at home.

I think the Falcons are a better team than the Bengals, but since it's at Cincy, I think it's a tossup.

Iceman16
12-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Their defense has looked like shit since Leon Hall went down. They gave up 20 to the Browns. I was scared of Atlanta. We should be the favorites for this game despite our injury list.

jradMIT
12-06-2011, 12:11 AM

Forecast is pretty good for Sunday. Nearly zero percent chance of precipitation and probably in the low 40's, great football weather.

b0ng
12-06-2011, 08:33 AM
If JoJo can lock down AJ Green then I think we stand a decent chance of winning. Our offense has been good at protecting the ball this year. I do worry about Jerome Simpson and Jermaine Gresham.

Trail.Blazr
12-06-2011, 08:34 AM
Wouldn't you like to see JJ and Walter finally step up and be WRs?

I see what you did there... :joker: You make joke... haaahaa

I don't think the speculative play of JJ and Walter are really on the list of the major concerns for this game. We will miss AJ again, sure, but there are plenty of options to toss the ball around to. I see more attempts to OD and Foster than our WR's in this game. We should be able to pound the rock and rely on short/mid range passing game.

TBH, I would much rather see JJ step up with a Special Teams TD than ask much more of him as a reciever. KW should be fine.

:barman:

thunderkyss
12-06-2011, 08:54 AM
I see what you did there... :joker: You make joke... haaahaa

I don't think the speculative play of JJ and Walter are really on the list of the major concerns for this game. We will miss AJ again, sure, but there are plenty of options to toss the ball around to. I see more attempts to OD and Foster than our WR's in this game. We should be able to pound the rock and rely on short/mid range passing game.

Since Kdub, Dressen, Casey, Foster, & OD are all excellent blockers & sure handed, I don't really see how anyone can stop us. It would be extremely difficult for any team to cover those 5 guys out of our base offense.

Who's releasing, who's blocking... guess wrong & OD, Foster & Casey can make you pay.

But, as much as I like Kubiak's offense, he doesn't threaten an opposing team with all the weapons he has like Belichick does with Hernandez, Walker, & Gronkowski

GP
12-06-2011, 09:11 AM
If JoJo can lock down AJ Green then I think we stand a decent chance of winning. Our offense has been good at protecting the ball this year. I do worry about Jerome Simpson and Jermaine Gresham.

IMO, Andy Dalton is playing better than Matt Ryan at this stage of the season. I really worry about how Dalton can hit AJ Green and his other receivers in stride and it's over and done with if he does.

The key to the game? On defense: Contain AJ Green, pressure Dalton, and hold Benson to short yardage on his carries. On offense: Yates can't turn the ball over, the run game has to work early and often, and receivers need to make plays when counted upon to make them.

BattleRedSnoop
12-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Some people post tha dumbest things on here. "I think we will beat Cincy but I don't see us winning out" Lmfao! Who is possibly gonna beat us if Cincy can't? Tha Falcons and Bengals were tha only two games I was worried about and we handled Atlanta last week, let's get Cincy too. Go Texans!

9-3!

Seņor Stan
12-06-2011, 09:56 AM
I would be an Andy Dalton fan if he dyed his hair with black tiger stripes to match the Bengals helmet.

The Pencil Neck
12-06-2011, 09:58 AM
I watched that Bengal's game last night. They got their asses kicked. They're a good team but they made a ton of mistakes and the Steelers made them pay for it.

They're going to come back embarrassed and pissed for our game.

Their offense is good and balanced. Dalton doesn't look like a rookie to me and he's got some good, young receivers. I think we can get to him a few times, though.

But the defense didn't look that stout against the run to me. We'll have our opportunities there.

AND... TJ may be the right QB to make use of what JJ can do. Providing JJ actually catches the ball, of course. I expect to see some deep balls to JJ in this game.

Of course, I'm worried but we could win this thing.

thunderkyss
12-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Their offense is good and balanced. Dalton doesn't look like a rookie to me and he's got some good, young receivers. I think we can get to him a few times, though.

But the defense didn't look that stout against the run to me. We'll have our opportunities there.

If they screw around & let us get a lead, that's their ass. Our front 7 are going to have an Andy Dalton Sammich with a side of Cedric.

txns4lf
12-06-2011, 10:14 AM
i think if we can hold off the big play..and give our offense time on the field we should be able to take it

Trail.Blazr
12-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Some people post tha dumbest things on here. "I think we will beat Cincy but I don't see us winning out" Lmfao! Who is possibly gonna beat us if Cincy can't? Tha Falcons and Bengals were tha only two games I was worried about and we handled Atlanta last week, let's get Cincy too. Go Texans!

9-3!

:wadepalm:

There is nobody on the schedule that can't beat the Texans on "Any given Sunday"(Thursday for Indy). Towards the end of the season, even the bad teams typically are playing their best. Titans and Colts are division opponents, who can't be over looked. Titans are arguably playing their best football RIGHT NOW. And don't underestimate the Colts who are going to desperately be trying to avoid an OWEN season. And if you think the Panthers will be a cake walk, well.... you may be as dumb as your post :fingergun: They can put up numbers in a HURRY.. Uniquely so I might add. No other team has the three headed backfield that the Panthers are using, quite well ATM.

I don't believe anyone would think that Texans winning out is impossible.... Just improbable. Given the current state and rate of injuries, Houston, despite a win last week, is still having to learn how to play offense as a team again. This is probably "tha" biggest factor in anyone's skepticism regarding the final 3 games. I'll wager 4 weeks ago, people felt better about the final 3 than they do today.. but they are still games a good team should beat.

I personally look at the last 4 games is a quick and positive learning curve to serve as a platform to launch into the playoffs with. If they lose one along the way, hopefully there was something good to learn from that can translate to post season success. Hopefully they can go into the playoffs with some positive momentum and a 1st round bye.. but first, get in! That starts with a win in Cincy.

ChampionTexan
12-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Not that it's exactly great insight, but I see our easiest route to victory in this game via turnovers and better special teams play.

Cincy's given up a ton of points over the last 3 games, even though none of their opponents were top 10 offenses - Pittsburgh's #11, Baltimore's middle of the pack, and the Browns are bottom dwellers. While the Bengals defense hasn't played badly over this span (although their run D is a bit suspect, and the have been a bit susceptible to the big play), their offense and ST's have put them in a bad position on more than one occasion.

Nawzer
12-06-2011, 12:06 PM
I thought our toughest remaining test was Atlanta and we beat them. I feel pretty good about our chances against the Bengals. Andy Dalton is going to be a great QB and our secondary has to play better this week because against the Falcons our corners, specially Allen and KJ looked slow. I think our defense will stop their running game and I think we will run the ball better against the Bengals. The formula for victory will be the same: Run the ball, stop the run, and limit mistakes.

80tothezone
12-06-2011, 07:55 PM
yeh I just can't bring myself to pick against us this yr. Even though rational thought says we should drop this one... The young men at Kirby just seem to pick it up.

badboy
12-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Adjustment. Phillips and Kubiak will do adjustments to each team "up next". We should win out the season.

Fili
12-06-2011, 08:23 PM
They beat the Browns 23-20. We beat them 27-13. We were home though.

bo orlando
12-06-2011, 09:01 PM
I don't see what's so scary about this game. Bengals have looked trash against real teams. I thought the falcons game was a bit more tougher but still thought we would win. I see no excuse not to win this one and we should have that mentality.

I was very impressed with the Falcons. They are going to make the playoffs and I think have a good chance of winning a game or two. Cincy's not close to that, and does not have the matchup problems that the Falcons had. It's always tough to win on the road, but the Texans should take this game easily. "Should" being the prevailing word.

Texan_Bill
12-06-2011, 09:14 PM
I've said it before.... Throw the ball early and often. Obviously we won't have AJ, but you can still make some throws down the field early and prevent them from loading "the box".... [Entrance... a running game]..

If the Texans can do this, even without AJ.... We win yet another game! Which is my bet (for entertainment points - i.e. "diet cokes *thanks to @Woolybee....

ObsiWan
12-07-2011, 01:31 AM

9-3!

Carolina and Cam Newton is one game. We've not faced an athlete of his capabilities at QB this year. I worry that we won't keep him bottled up in the pocket. And even if we do, unlike Tebow, he can actually throw. And Steve Smith has given us fits in the past.

A desperate Titans team struggling to get that last wild card spot is the other. If they're still in the race, they'll pull out all the stops to stay alive.

And there's always the possibility that we have an off day. They've been playing at a pretty high level for a couple of months. So for us to have a down day somewhere along the way is not an impossibility.

thunderkyss
12-07-2011, 06:48 AM
Carolina and Cam Newton is one game. We've not faced an athlete of his capabilities at QB this year. I worry that we won't keep him bottled up in the pocket. And even if we do, unlike Tebow, he can actually throw. And Steve Smith has given us fits in the past.

& Cam hasn't faced anything like what we're bringing. I think it's going to be a good game. & watching TJ throw that deep ball with accuracy, throwing on the move with accuracy... it's going to be a damn good game.

We're going to be able to run the ball, no question, on Carolina. We'll take our shots. If we can force them to punt a couple of times early in the game, Barwin & Co. may have another career day.

SteveSlaton20
12-07-2011, 07:15 AM
panthers are 8th in points per game, 5th in total yards, 8th in passing yards, and 5th in rushing yards.

they've played jaguars(7th ppg D), bears(9th), falcons(10th), and titans(6th).

they only scored 16 on jags(W), 29 on bears(L), 17 on falcons(L), and 3 on titans(L).

CloakNNNdagger
12-07-2011, 09:34 AM
The Cincinnati Bengals are in third place in the AFC North but even so they are in decent Wild Card positioning with a 6-4 record in the conference. The Bengals are 3-2 at home and lost last week at Pittsburgh but even so they have had a surprisingly strong year. Andy Dalton has completed 59.2 percent of his passes for 2,644 yards with 17 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. Cedric Benson has rushed for 792 yards and five touchdowns as he’s averaging 3.9 yards per carry. A.J. Green has 50 catches for 832 yards and seven touchdowns, Jermaine Gresham has 40 catches, and Jerome Simpson has 36 catches. Defensively the Bengals have 31 sacks, 13 fumble recoveries, and six interceptions with a minus one turnover ratio while they allow 306.7 yards and 20.8 points per game. Reggie Nelson and Thomas Howard have 66 tackles each and Rey Maualuga has 65 tackles. With Dalton and Green being rookies and leading the offense the Bengals have leaned heavily on their defense this season.

The Houston Texans lead the AFC South and have won six games in a row. Houston has dealt with a series of injuries all season long but they continue to overcome them and have the top record in the AFC. With Matt Schaub gone for the year and Andre Johnson out again for this one the Texans will need to hold it together once again. T.J. Yates has taken over at QB where he has completed 50 percent of his passes with a touchdown and no interceptions. Arian Foster has made up for the game she missed earlier as he has rushed for 916 yards and eight touchdowns while Ben Tate has rushed for 753 yards. Owen Daniels has 44 catches, Foster has 41, and Jacoby Jones has 22. Defensively Houston has 35 sacks, eight fumble recoveries, and 17 interceptions with a plus 12 turnover ratio and they are allowing 274.1 yards and 15.8 points. Brian Cushing has 82 tackles, Glover Quin has 58 tackles, and Connor Barwin has 8.5 sacks. The Houston defense have been the difference makers for the Texans this year.link (http://sportschatplace.com/nfl/mitch/2011/december/11/cincinnati/houston/)

Especially interesting and crucial to the game outcome, I believe, will be the battle between A J Green and Jo Jo. A J has not looked all that great against "elite" corners. Jo Jo I am sure will be looking to showing the Bengals they screwed up when they turned him loose to the Texans. Unlike, the Dunta loss from the Texans which we have for the most forgotten (as the Falcons probably would also like to forget), Sunday will be a cruel reminder to the Bengals of their loss of Jo Jo.

CloakNNNdagger
12-07-2011, 09:58 AM
It seems that the Bengals' D has had some decent success in handling the inside runs, but has had a great deal of problems dealing with the OUTSIDE run. Hopefully, Kubiak recognizes and adjusts our run game accordingly.

Clements MAY be back from a hamstring (we all know how that may go), but even if he returns he likely will be somewhat "limited." The rest of the CB corps is not exactly elite.

drs23
12-07-2011, 08:16 PM
It seems that the Bengals' D has had some decent success in handling the inside runs, but has had a great deal of problems dealing with the OUTSIDE run. Hopefully, Kubiak recognizes and adjusts our run game accordingly.

Clements MAY be back from a hamstring (we all know how that may go), but even if he returns he likely will be somewhat "limited." The rest of the CB corps is not exactly elite.

Jean, I'm gonna go out on a skinny limb here and say I think Kubes has a handle on it.

Can't wait to find out. C'mon Sunday!

Go Texans!

QB75
12-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Some people post tha dumbest things on here. "I think we will beat Cincy but I don't see us winning out" Lmfao! Who is possibly gonna beat us if Cincy can't?

9-3!

Who can possibly beat us if Cincy can't? Three teams:

Panthers
Colts
Titans

Any given Sunday. They better not start believing the headlines.

edo783
12-08-2011, 12:15 AM
IIRC, Cincy's QB has a bruised hip. Could cause some mobility and throwing issues. I think they just lost their two starting rookie d-tackles. All should help somewhat.

Rey
12-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Pat Sims to IR

Defensive tackle Pat Sims was placed on injured reserve Wednesday, ending his season. Sims had been a regular part of the eight-man line rotation that has been a success for the Bengals this season but two different injuries to his left ankle in less than a week put the Bengals in a position to seek a replacement.

“It just wasn’t going to come around with what Pat had,” said head coach Marvin Lewis. “The one (injury) kind of healed up, but then it masked the true injury.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20111207/SPT02/312070042/Sims-IR-Kubiak-compares-Dalton-Favre?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Bengals

Sims on IR, No Leon Hall...

Corrosion
12-08-2011, 11:26 AM
I expect to see the Texans dominate the LOS on offense and pound the ball down the Bungles throats ..... sprinkled with some play action when they decide to take shots down the field. Thats what they do and thats what they'll continue to do.

Defensively I expect the Texans to be able to stop the run early and force Cincy into a lot of 3rd and long situations. No QB wants to be in that situation much less a rookie QB.
I also expect them to be able to generate a lot of pressure on Dalton. I think the Texans defense is as good or better than the one Cincy faced last week ..... I could easily see 4+ sacks and a couple picks by Dalton.

If they can limit the big plays and win the turnover battle the Texans should win this game.

Rey
12-08-2011, 11:33 AM
KUBIAK ON DALTON: Texans head coach Gary Kubiak had some high praise for Andy Dalton, comparing him at one point to Brett Favre.

“He obviously threw the ball a lot more than Brett did coming out but just the way you watched him play the games, the way you watched him find a way to win, find a way to make a play,” Kubiak said. “That’s what it’s all about in this league. You’ve got to be able to improvise and he can definitely do that. I don’t see any throws he hasn’t been able to make. I’ve got one in my mind down in Seattle where he moved to his left and hit (AJ) Green down the middle of the field. I see him making every throw you need to make and that’s all that matters.”

Dalton grew up only 10 minutes from where the Texans play, so Kubiak got to see a lot of him in high school and also at TCU.

Added Kubiak: “He’s a winner. You watch him play and he makes all of the throws, he buys himself time, he bails his team out of tough situations in terms of protections and those types of things. I just love the way he competes. I think Jay (Gruden) has done a tremendous job with him there. When you’re watching young players play at that level it’s fun to watch.”

Even though he grew up in the Houston area, Dalton said there was nothing extra special about facing the Texans. With the temperature hovering one degree above freezing though on Wednesday, Dalton was asked if he had any experience playing in cold weather. Dalton said the coldest game he was a part of was during his junior year when TCU played at Air Force

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20111207/SPT02/312070042/Sims-IR-Kubiak-compares-Dalton-Favre?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Bengals

Did Dalton grow up in Katy?

If he did, that is not ten minutes from where the Texans play...Well unless they are saying 10 minutes from the city of Houston...

rafterticket
12-08-2011, 12:00 PM
There is no reason to believe the Texans cannot win this game! Have some kool aid and dive in! 10-3, baby!

CloakNNNdagger
12-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Although this was in a fantasy section of CBS Sports, the stats presented are solid.......and support the premise that Dalton will not thrive.

Ride the pine ...

Andy Dalton (vs. Houston) -- Dalton has been a pleasant surprise this year and is quietly a top 13 quarterback. He has been a solid start more often than not, but this week I would stay away from him and take my shot with Carson Palmer, Grossman or even Matt Hasselbeck. Dalton takes on the Houston Texans and if the Texans can do one thing, it is shut down opposing quarterbacks. The Texans give up just 11.33 points per game to signal callers, second fewest in the NFL and of late they have been criminally good. In their last six games only one quarterback has reached 200 yards passing or double-digit points against them and it was Matt Ryan (267 yards), who had just 13 points. In those games, they are giving up just 7.5 points per game with five passing scores allowed and 11 interceptions. Even more amazing is that they are giving up a league low 45.4 percent completion rate and are allowing a league low 4.8 yards per attempt during this streak. The Texans are relying on their dominating defense and ground game to win games and they will employ that formula against the Bengals as well. That shortens the game and limits the chances for Dalton to make big plays, which is why I am expecting very modest totals from him. Why take the chance with Dalton when only three quarterbacks all year have topped 200 yards versus the Texans, only two have thrown for multiple touchdowns and only one, Brees, has produced 20-plus points against them. Dalton has been solid, but has only one game of 20-plus points in his last eight and does not have multiple passing scores in three straight. I would take my shot with someone else in this critical week and there are plenty of less-heralded quarterbacks, like the ones mentioned above, who have great upside for you this week. (Projection Snapshot: 213 yards passing with one TD and one INT) link (http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/story/16359970/starting-points-for-week-14)

Speedy
12-08-2011, 01:19 PM
It seems that the Bengals' DI has had some decent success in handling the inside runs, but has had a great deal of problems dealing with the OUTSIDE run. Hopefully, Kubiak recognizes and adjusts our run game accordingly.

I don't know, it seems like the Steelers were taking care of business pretty well inside on them. I could see Tate taking it to them inside like that and having a big day.

SteveSlaton20
12-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Dalton is 0-4 and barely a .500 passer with four touchdowns and seven picks in games against Pittsburgh (first in fewest yards allowed) twice, Baltimore (third) and San Francisco (fourth).

CloakNNNdagger
12-08-2011, 04:26 PM
JJ Watt to Andy: "I'm b-a-a-a-c-k and your ass is mine!"

Throw me one, mister!

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Andy+Dalton+J+J+Watt+Rose+Bowl+Game+Wisconsin+GWln Jx23x6Ll.jpg

Where you think you goin'? I'm gonna git ya, sucka!

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Andy+Dalton+J+J+Watt+Rose+Bowl+Game+Wisconsin+nXUA NAFcLXUl.jpg

eriadoc
12-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Did Dalton grow up in Katy?

Yep. Local kid plays QB, does well and wins in H.S., wins in college, makes it to the pros .... we've heard this before, right? Somehow, I don't think Dalton would have quite the cheering section here that the other guy had. Maybe it's the red hair. Yeah, that's it.

thunderkyss
12-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Yep. Local kid plays QB, does well and wins in H.S., wins in college, makes it to the pros .... we've heard this before, right? Somehow, I don't think Dalton would have quite the cheering section here that the other guy had. Maybe it's the red hair. Yeah, that's it.

I don't normally see the TCU fan boys hanging around here. I'm pretty sure that's the main reason. I knew more about Tebow than I did about Dalton before the season started.

Giant Tiger
12-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Who can possibly beat us if Cincy can't? Three teams:

Panthers
Colts
Titans

Any given Sunday. They better not start believing the headlines.

This is a must win IMO. We need to beat Cincinnati in their house & beat them bad. Otherwise I can't see us winning in Baltimore next month.

thunderkyss
12-08-2011, 09:24 PM
This is a must win IMO. We need to beat Cincinnati in their house & beat them bad. Otherwise I can't see us winning in Baltimore next month.

I think this is a must win, because a loss would give life to the Tennessee Titans & we can't have that. I don't care to step on the throats of our Sunday opponents, but I'd love to wring the life out of our division rival's hopes of winning the division.

It's also a good idea (I think) for this team to adopt that must win attitude now & practice for that win or go home thing we call the play-offs.

I don't want them to peak early or anything, but hone their "must win" attitude.

Rey
12-08-2011, 09:27 PM
I don't normally see the TCU fan boys hanging around here. I'm pretty sure that's the main reason. I knew more about Tebow than I did about Dalton before the season started.

That and and vy won a championship game at ut by defeating the "greatest team ever" after having one of the most prolific seasons ever.

CloakNNNdagger
12-08-2011, 09:41 PM
After 12 weeks, Scurfield looks at some notable player stats:

QB Matt Schaub (season-ending foot injury, Week 10)
3rd in yards per attempt (8.49)
5th in passer rating (96.8)
T-10th in passes of 25+ yards (23)

RB Arian Foster (missed Weeks 1 & 3, hamstring)
T-8th in rushing yards (916)
T-6th in rushing touchdowns (8)
4th in rushing first downs (46)
T-8th in runs of 10+ yards (25)
4th in yards from scrimmage (1,426)
7th in scrimmage touchdowns (10)
2nd in average yards after catch (12.8)

RB Ben Tate (missed Week 5, groin)
4th in average yards per carry (5.5)
8th in rushing first downs (42)
T-2nd in runs of 10+ yards (29)

CB Johnathan Joseph
T-5th in interceptions (4)
T-8th in passes defensed (13)

CB Jason Allen
T-5th in interceptions (4)

K Neil Rackers
8th in total points (100)
T-7th in field goals made (22)

P Brett Hartmann (season-ending knee injury, Week 13)
7th in punting long (69)

WR Jacoby Jones
8th in punt return average (11.1)
T-3rd in punt return touchdowns (1)

CloakNNNdagger
12-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Here's a piece by Dale Robertson (also see the stats below the article):

With Texans in middle of fray, NFL turns into Nonstop Fun League (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2011/12/with-texans-in-middle-of-fray-nfl-turns-into-nonstop-fun-league/)