PDA

View Full Version : Kubiak not watching crucial plays

Hookem Horns
12-04-2011, 09:55 PM
I know we are winning and all that jazz however this has bothered me for years, and despite winning it still sends the wrong message IMO.

Kubiak couldn't bear to watch the final play, turning his back and walking down the sideline. When the ball hit the turf and the crowd cheered, general manager Rick Smith told Kubiak what happened and patted him on the back.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=311204034

Dude, be a man watch the play and send the right message to your players. Imagine if your QB was doing this everytime he put up a long pass or your kicker put his hand over his eyes right after kicking a crucial long field goal.

Playoffs
12-04-2011, 09:57 PM
He's done that before.

Calm on the outside, churning a storm on the inside. I know that guy. :D

ThaJokaa
12-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Alot of coaches do it. But let me guess you want to fire Kubiak for not watching crucial plays?

Hookem Horns
12-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Alot of coaches do it. But let me guess you want to fire Kubiak for not watching crucial plays?

Yeah, I want to fire Kubiak while we are sitting at 9-3. Maybe we can bring Cowher in next week because he will watch all of the plays.

:kubepalm:

Norg
12-04-2011, 10:04 PM
How do u think he keeps his black hair LOL :kitten:

GuerillaBlack
12-04-2011, 10:04 PM
I really don't like that either. Never have.

ThaJokaa
12-04-2011, 10:05 PM
You never know, you could've been one of those that just wants him gone...

TexanFan881
12-04-2011, 10:06 PM
He has always done this this is nothing new....

TexanSam
12-04-2011, 10:06 PM
It bugs me too. I'm guessing (or hoping) it's just superstition though.

Wolf
12-04-2011, 10:08 PM
hell Fox kicked off the last 8 seconds for me

TexansBull
12-04-2011, 10:09 PM
It bugs me too. I'm guessing (or hoping) it's just superstition though.

Kris Brown's last second field goal misses should of fixed that.

edo783
12-04-2011, 10:10 PM
To me it's meh, it either works or is doesn't. just his way of keeping on an even keel. No big deal.

Hookem Horns
12-04-2011, 10:10 PM

LOL true .. same here.

TheDream34
12-04-2011, 10:11 PM
Shit man if I was a coach, I would do the same thing. Hell, I turned off the tv on ATL's last drive

Texanmike02
12-04-2011, 10:12 PM
I don't care if he watches the last play or any play for that matter. He can stick his head in the sand for every play for all I care as long as he calls the right play.

Mike

ThaJokaa
12-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Shit man if I was a coach, I would do the same thing. Hell, I turned off the tv on ATL's last drive

Hell no! I would never that!

edo783
12-04-2011, 10:13 PM
I know we are winning and all that jazz however this has bothered me for years, and despite winning it still sends the wrong message IMO.

Dude, be a man watch the play and send the right message to your players. Imagine if your QB was doing this everytime he put up a long pass or your kicker put his hand over his eyes right after kicking a crucial long field goal.

yup

Scooter
12-04-2011, 10:13 PM
meh. kubiak appears to avoid emotional swings unless he has something to say to the refs. whether superstition or prayer or trust or insecurity ... i hardly see how it affects anything at all.

after 6 seasons i'm suprised anyone cares, i'm sure the players and coaches dont.

ObsiWan
12-04-2011, 10:15 PM

while I understand where you're coming from, I can't say too much about it. There were times my heart couldn't take this damned game and I had to watch something else for while.
:embarrass

Doppelganger
12-04-2011, 10:17 PM

Maybe Kubes lost his Fox feed and was looking for it while the last play occurred!!!

axman40
12-04-2011, 10:18 PM
They pulled a Kubiak POV?
:kitten:

MEGA SWATT
12-04-2011, 10:20 PM
WGAS. Really. Are we really going to fuss about this? No offense Mr. OP. You know what's more silly than Kubes looking away? Worrying about it.

Seriously, I don't care if he wears a pink tutu and hops around on 1 foot during crucial plays- just win games with good decisions.:wadepalm:

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_363/12342001168oQ97G.jpg

2BCF
12-05-2011, 12:15 AM
WGAS. Really. Are we really going to fuss about this? No offense Mr. OP. You know what's more silly than Kubes looking away? Worrying about it.

Seriously, I don't care if he wears a pink tutu and hops around on 1 foot during crucial plays- just win games with good decisions.:wadepalm:

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_363/12342001168oQ97G.jpg

So that's what Kubes is thinking about.

GP
12-05-2011, 12:27 AM
You two guys slamming the "OP" do understand that he OWNS this board, right? He started it, nursed it, taught it to walk, and is now enjoying watching it grow up (arguably, LOL).

The guy knows a helluva' lot about football AND this team AND all of the thousands of opinions and ideas about our team that have been posted on here the past 10 years.

For the record, I've always been of the OPINION that Kubiak not watching critical plays is one of the nerdiest things the guy can do. Hey, YOU are the freaking head coach. Watch the play. You aren't going to decide its outcome by watching or not watching. Gary Kubiak: Don't you want to soak it all in, one way or another, and live in the moment or what???

I watch every single droplet of Texans football I can. Why? Because I was an Oilers fan and had the team moved to Tennessee. Because win , lose , or draw I'm going to see how it happened and know that I was watching the whole time. ESPECIALLY this season, man oh man it's like watching Top 10 Amazing Finishes show or something...you never know who is going to step up and make big plays to save the game, or HOW we're going to end up winning the game at all.

But the HC can't watch the last play. It's bizarre. He can have it how he wants it, I ultimately don't care. I just find it strangely fascinating that the Texans HC can't stand to watch the game-deciding play and has to have his GM tell him what just happened. Very odd, indeed. LOL.

And to the "OP," I appreciate you bringing this topic back up. I didn't pay attention to that part and can't even remember if they showed a clip of him looking away from the HORRIFIC last play that eyes of glory shall not dare cast its gaze upon.

Hookem Horns
12-05-2011, 01:34 AM
You two guys slamming the "OP" do understand that he OWNS this board, right? He started it, nursed it, taught it to walk, and is now enjoying watching it grow up (arguably, LOL).

I appreciate the backup there GP, however I should be fair game just like anyone else.

As far as the original subject goes I have been annoyed by it every since I realized he was doing this on a regular basis. Sure, it annoys me a LOT less when the team is winning, so let me make that clear. However that ESPN story brought it back to my attention and I find it a little absurd that Rick Smith had to tell him what happened.

I don't disagree with anyone's take in this thread and I can see all of their views. However I stand by my opinion that I think it sends the wrong message to the players.

To me the HC is supposed to be like a commanding general on the field. Imagine for example during the Civil War if a general commanded his men to charge the enemy lines and they noticed him covering his eyes because he couldn't bear to watch. You want to think your leader is standing tall in the saddle watching you off to victory.

buddyboy
12-05-2011, 03:42 AM
I appreciate the backup there GP, however I should be fair game just like anyone else.

As far as the original subject goes I have been annoyed by it every since I realized he was doing this on a regular basis. Sure, it annoys me a LOT less when the team is winning, so let me make that clear. However that ESPN story brought it back to my attention and I find it a little absurd that Rick Smith had to tell him what happened.

I don't disagree with anyone's take in this thread and I can see all of their views. However I stand by my opinion that I think it sends the wrong message to the players.

To me the HC is supposed to be like a commanding general on the field. Imagine for example during the Civil War if a general commanded his men to charge the enemy lines and they noticed him covering his eyes because he couldn't bear to watch. You want to think your leader is standing tall in the saddle watching you off to victory.

I completely agree with your admission that your opinion is not more important than any other poster's, just because of your status. And I don't really agree with it, haha.

I think the thing that makes us uneasy about this situation is that it makes us question Kubiak's confidence in the team. If he can't watch the last second of the game because he's afraid the team is going to fail, how can the players have confidence in themselves?

But I definitely think Kubiak has confidence in his players and in his team. Going for it on 4th down today in the red-zone was a statement that he not only has confidence that his team will execute, but that he expects that his team will. They WILL get that 1-yard. He wouldn't call it if he didn't have confidence.

thunderkyss
12-05-2011, 07:42 AM
meh. kubiak appears to avoid emotional swings unless he has something to say to the refs. whether superstition or prayer or trust or insecurity ... i hardly see how it affects anything at all.

after 6 seasons i'm suprised anyone cares, i'm sure the players and coaches dont.

There was another coach from way back that used to do the same thing. I can't remember who he was, but Kubiak isn't the first to do this.

It's not like watching is going to change the outcome.

thunderkyss
12-05-2011, 07:45 AM
However I stand by my opinion that I think it sends the wrong message to the players.

You can't tell by the way they respond.

Trail.Blazr
12-05-2011, 07:50 AM
My only beef with Kube's not watching plays is that it's HIS JOB to be aware of what is happening on the field.

Heaven forbid if there is some sort of whackadoodle incident that he needs to argue/challenge. How is he possibly putting himself in the best position to effectively coach the team by not watching the play?

b0ng
12-05-2011, 08:08 AM
Heh, never thought I'd see this subject pop up while on a 6 game winning streak. Kudos for sticking to your guns I suppose. Talking about negative qualities of Kubiak and bringing up his inability to watch crucial plays as being a big deal seems very Skip Bayless to me. And what I mean by that is: Can't you picture Skip Bayless saying something like "Gary Kubiak is a terrible head coach because he is not man enough to watch a crucial play."

Trail.Blazr
12-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Heh, never thought I'd see this subject pop up while on a 6 game winning streak. Kudos for sticking to your guns I suppose. Talking about negative qualities of Kubiak and bringing up his inability to watch crucial plays as being a big deal seems very Skip Bayless to me. And what I mean by that is: Can't you picture Skip Bayless saying something like "Gary Kubiak is a terrible head coach because he is not man enough to watch a crucial play."

I don't see that as the theme in this thread, at least not without any indication of sarcasm. For the most part it's observational comments that many of us share common interest in whether for or against his quirky ways.

Corrosion
12-05-2011, 08:51 AM
This is Houston Sports ..... Snakebit , you almost expect something to go wrong just because its a Houston team.

Thorn
12-05-2011, 08:53 AM
I've seen Kubes turn away from critical plays before, but it's never bothered me. I had other reasons to dislike him, but now, I've got lots of reasons to like him instead. So, if I get to weighted on the I Like side, and needs a reason to DisLike just for balance, I may use this. :)

HJam72
12-05-2011, 09:00 AM
All I care about is his input on what actually happens. Whether he watches it or not doesn't concern me at all. The guy's under a lot of pressure and he knows and cares that all of the players, coordinators, etc. are too. I could see myself doing that if I were in his position, because sometimes the weight of it all and what could happen good or bad in the next few seconds would just hit me like a ton of bricks.

ArlingtonTexan
12-05-2011, 09:03 AM
I put it in the category of "things my wife does that annoy me, but really don't matter much."

thunderkyss
12-05-2011, 09:03 AM
All I care about is his input on what actually happens. Whether he watches it or not doesn't concern me at all. The guy's under a lot of pressure and he knows and cares that all of the players, coordinators, etc. are too. I could see myself doing that if I were in his position, because sometimes the weight of it all and what could happen good or bad in the next few seconds would just hit me like a ton of bricks.

I think he mentioned once, that it's to prevent him from being too knee jerk.

Like someone else mentioned, it's about that even Keel he presents, which he thinks helps the team not panic.

dinkatoid
12-05-2011, 09:05 AM
My only beef with Kube's not watching plays is that it's HIS JOB to be aware of what is happening on the field.

Heaven forbid if there is some sort of whackadoodle incident that he needs to argue/challenge. How is he possibly putting himself in the best position to effectively coach the team by not watching the play?

If it is the last play of the game, he can't challenge it anyway - all challenges in the last 2 mins come from the booth. It is also the last play of the game, so it is not like the outcome of that play dictates the next play call.

As for Kubiak turning around, I personally do not mind it. If he is the personalty type that has a minor heart attack every time in one of these situations, it is probably better for his health to turn around. I understand what some people are saying about him being the leader, but to me it does not quite apply because of how it plays out.

Once Kubiak has called in the play, thats all he can control. From there on out it is up to the players to execute. That does not mean he expects his players to fail, but there are things outside of his control, as as someone else said, what he does no longer affects if we win or lose.

BigBull17
12-05-2011, 09:12 AM

Boy it obviously effects our players greatly...:wadepalm:

HOU-TEX
12-05-2011, 09:44 AM
I don't have much of an issue with this. Everybody's different and show emotions differently. I think I'd do the same thing. Heck, my BP and stomach were doing cart wheels at the end of the game yesterday. And I was trying to talk to my contractor at the same time. Dude probably thought I was a space cadet until I explained to him what was up.

GlassHalfFull
12-05-2011, 09:47 AM
You can't control what other people do, you can only control your reaction to others.

Relationship advice.

Own the problem, it if Kubiak's actions bother you, then you need to work on your reactions. :lion:

Corrosion
12-05-2011, 09:57 AM

The guy knows a helluva' lot about football AND this team AND all of the thousands of opinions and ideas about our team that have been posted on here the past 10 years.

Doesnt mean anyone has to agree with him on specific topics ..... and Im sure he'd rather have open intelligent discussion and disagreement than everyone agree with him just because ....

Texan_Bill
12-05-2011, 09:57 AM
If this is all we have to gripe about after a win, I'm happier than a pig in shte... :texanbill:

Seriously, it doesn't bother me in the slightest because like a decent head coach he's already 2-3 plays ahead of the one on the field in his head. Watch other coaches, they're busy talking on their headsets and reading their Denny's menu, too..

Oh well, like I said, if this is all we have to gripe about tells me things are going just fine.

Buffi2
12-05-2011, 10:08 AM
I have a tendency to cover my eyes myself. It keeps my heart beating without some electric assistance given by white coated people.

GP
12-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Doesnt mean anyone has to agree with him on specific topics ..... and Im sure he'd rather have open intelligent discussion and disagreement than everyone agree with him just because ....

For me, it's the whole way some people try to discredit ANYBODY without even trying to give an intelligent response along the way.

It's the drive-by trash talk that pisses me off, Corrosion. I'm not saying Kevin is untouchable, it's just that sometimes people need to know to whom they are speaking. Plain and simple. So I let them know.

When I made my first Texans game (The Raiders game) I went to the tailgate, and I'll tell you this: There was a group of guys who, when I introduced myself to them as being GP...they stared at me and treated me pretty cold. The next guy I saw was Kevin, and he smiled at me and made sure to show me around the tailgate section and point out several TexansTalk members to me. Joe Texan was nice to me. GlassHaflFull was the most outgoing toward me and my wife, along with jjjezebel who was hanging out with GlassHalfFull. Disaacks was nice to me. TedC, too. TexanMike, as well. As me and my wife walked to the stadium, I even found myself side-by-side with TexansChick...she was very nice to me and got in a photo that my wife took of us. But I won't ever forget the little group of guys I met right as I got there and introduced myself, you'd have thought I had said I was a Colts fan or something. Hell, they might have treated a Colts fan better than they treated me, actually.

I might never get to see those people in person ever again, but I know which ones were courteous to me and which ones glared at me and couldn't at least find a way to fake it and smile and say "Welcome aboard!" I won't let the 2% of that situation override the 98% of the good that I experienced that day, though. All in all, the Blue Crew Tailgate treated me the way Nitro said they would.

This is the first time I'm telling everyone this story, but the reason I'm doing it here is because I feel like people need to know that Kevin (Hookem Horns) started this site, he hasn't lost sight of what he and his vision means to this place, and when he mentions something on here...well, it could stand to be treated with better respect than to do a drive-by trash talk at whatever he said. People should know to whom they are speaking.

In my book, Kevin is good people. When I slip up in a thread, and get down on myself and slink away out of frustration or just needing to get a grasp on things, guys like Kevin send me a PM and check on me. Guys like Texecutioner and Hervoyel do the same thing. DoubleBarrel, too. I know who treats me the way I try to treat others, and it shows. That's why I sort of stuck up for Kevin there. He doesn't need it from me, I just wanted to do it to show the newcomers who the OP is, and that maybe they should discuss the topic and not the poster.

thunderkyss
12-05-2011, 11:11 AM
:tinnytinyviolin:

Double Barrel
12-05-2011, 04:12 PM

I tend to agree with this take.

While Kubiak's tendency does not annoy me, I do find it a bit odd. You'd think that he'd want to witness it in case a split second decision is required on his part. But I guess with HD replay and lots of assistances, they can just tell him what is up after it happens.

I really think it's a carry-over from his offensive coordinator and backup QB days (same with the way he constantly licks his fingers during games).

Coordinators are always looking at the next play, not getting caught up in what is happening as much as the results. They need to know yardage and results immediately so they can formulate the next play. Backup QBs are often doing the same thing, listening in to playcalls and being basically an assistant to the OC. I think years of being a backup QB behind Elway and being an OC developed a tendency to not pay attention.

I could be completely wrong, but this is how my mind justifies it. idonno:

Rey
12-05-2011, 04:30 PM
For me, it's the whole way some people try to discredit ANYBODY without even trying to give an intelligent response along the way.

It's the drive-by trash talk that pisses me off, Corrosion. I'm not saying Kevin is untouchable, it's just that sometimes people need to know to whom they are speaking. Plain and simple. So I let them know.

When I made my first Texans game (The Raiders game) I went to the tailgate, and I'll tell you this: There was a group of guys who, when I introduced myself to them as being GP...they stared at me and treated me pretty cold. The next guy I saw was Kevin, and he smiled at me and made sure to show me around the tailgate section and point out several TexansTalk members to me. Joe Texan was nice to me. GlassHaflFull was the most outgoing toward me and my wife, along with jjjezebel who was hanging out with GlassHalfFull. Disaacks was nice to me. TedC, too. TexanMike, as well. As me and my wife walked to the stadium, I even found myself side-by-side with TexansChick...she was very nice to me and got in a photo that my wife took of us. But I won't ever forget the little group of guys I met right as I got there and introduced myself, you'd have thought I had said I was a Colts fan or something. Hell, they might have treated a Colts fan better than they treated me, actually.

I might never get to see those people in person ever again, but I know which ones were courteous to me and which ones glared at me and couldn't at least find a way to fake it and smile and say "Welcome aboard!" I won't let the 2% of that situation override the 98% of the good that I experienced that day, though. All in all, the Blue Crew Tailgate treated me the way Nitro said they would.

This is the first time I'm telling everyone this story, but the reason I'm doing it here is because I feel like people need to know that Kevin (Hookem Horns) started this site, he hasn't lost sight of what he and his vision means to this place, and when he mentions something on here...well, it could stand to be treated with better respect than to do a drive-by trash talk at whatever he said. People should know to whom they are speaking.

In my book, Kevin is good people. When I slip up in a thread, and get down on myself and slink away out of frustration or just needing to get a grasp on things, guys like Kevin send me a PM and check on me. Guys like Texecutioner and Hervoyel do the same thing. DoubleBarrel, too. I know who treats me the way I try to treat others, and it shows. That's why I sort of stuck up for Kevin there. He doesn't need it from me, I just wanted to do it to show the newcomers who the OP is, and that maybe they should discuss the topic and not the poster.

Good post.

Texecutioner
12-05-2011, 06:26 PM

Agreed. Good post. This has been a talking point over several years actually and it's not the first time it's been brought up so people shouldn't be bashing the OP over this, and it's not like he started this thread to trash the HC. He just mentioned that he didn't like it how Kubiak did that, and I never have as well. He's the HC and he should be watching the plays, especially when it's the last play of the game or the play that determines who wins and loses.

Texanmike02
12-05-2011, 06:43 PM

I've had very few negative interactions with people on this board. I can say that this board and the people here (Joe Texan, SheTexan, hook'em, Gary, etc etc... I really can't name all of them or we'd be here all night) have made me and my guests feel welcome at every game I've been to. I would go just for the football but I am as excited about the tailgating because this is generally an awesome group of people.

Mike

TheMatrix31
12-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Clearly Kubiak not looking at the critical plays hasn't had an effect on the team.

Lord knows how many times I say during tense games (especially baseball) '"I can't watch this shit." Usually put my head in my hands but peek a bit.

It's the same sort of sentiment. People in sports are creatures of habit and superstition.

Not a big deal.

thunderkyss
12-05-2011, 08:02 PM
...so people shouldn't be bashing the OP over this, and it's not like he started this thread to trash the HC.

Is there really any bashing going on, or is this tin foil hat territory?

MEGA SWATT
12-05-2011, 10:48 PM

I know who the OP is, GP. Don't really think I was slamming him and based on his comments neither did he. What bothers him, really does not bother me at all regarding Kubes not watching. I stand by my comments that I don't really care what he does in "crucial" moments - look, not look, break dance - I don't care...just win baby. My apologies up front if you think this is just another drive-by, unintelligent posting.