PDA

View Full Version : The Texans Turf & Texan player comments

TexansBull
12-04-2011, 06:16 PM
I heard the turf being called into question today. I saw the ground coming out from underneath players feet all day long. Was it Cody who said the turf was "squirrelly" today? Dreessen says he is going to start wearing longer studs in his cleats - per 610. Cushing had something happen to his knee(maybe not field related but I will still use it), and then Hartman goes down (maybe not field related but I will still use it).

Maybe its cause Andre went down again today on our own field for the second time that I am getting pissed, but sum of a beach this is getting old!

And from now own I dont care if its the rodeo, a high school foot ball championship, the final four, college world series, dont mess with the turf in the reliant two days before the game. The stadium was built for the Texans, make sure its in the best shape for them. When Belicheat talked about it, we all know we could see the the patch work on the field, but we let it slide because we won.

From now on, if you want the rodeo, a high school foot ball championship, the final four, college world series to be played on the big stage or stadium, get the Cougs a new stadium and play it there. Or dont do it during football season. Or pay for the dome to get remodeled. But no more tearing up the Texans field two days before they play at home!

:rant:

brakos82
12-04-2011, 06:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7DTNEa2E7w

ziggy29
12-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Maybe its cause Andre went down again today on our own field for the second time that I am getting pissed, but sum of a beach this is getting old!
And when AJ went down the first time, the announcers kept making a big to-do about this being the same turf that shredded Wes Welker's knee as well.

TheDream34
12-04-2011, 06:23 PM
I remember a couple of years ago bill belichick complained about the field. I thought he was just whining, but after seeing so many players go down on our field, I'm starting to wonder just how bad is our field.

ziggy29
12-04-2011, 06:29 PM
I remember a couple of years ago bill belichick complained about the field. I thought he was just whining, but after seeing so many players go down on our field, I'm starting to wonder just how bad is our field.

The main thing that makes you wonder is... these guys are all going down without contact. They try to kick it into high gear, they make a cut, they pull a hammy or shred a knee.

It's one thing to get injured because a bunch of big, strong guys are twisting your body into directions and positions that, well, nature didn't intend. It's another for this many to go down just for running down the field.

False Start
12-04-2011, 06:33 PM
They were saying on the radio, that some of the squares are softer than others, and some are just straight up hard a hell. It would be like playing on different fields, and its hard to adjust to, no consistency.

TexanSam
12-04-2011, 06:33 PM
You'd think the Texans would replace the turf after the high school games that had just been played there. They have two turfs they can use, unless the other one had already been chewed up also from football games.

Showtime100
12-04-2011, 06:34 PM
For God's sakes. :wild:

CloakNNNdagger
12-04-2011, 06:41 PM
I heard the turf being called into question today. I saw the ground coming out from underneath players feet all day long. Was it Cody who said the turf was "squirrelly" today? Dreessen says he is going to start wearing longer studs in his cleats - per 610. Cushing had something happen to his knee(maybe not field related but I will still use it), and then Hartman goes down (maybe not field related but I will still use it).

And from now own I dont care if its the rodeo, a high school foot ball championship, the final four, college world series, dont mess with the turf in the reliant two days before the game. The stadium was built for the Texans, make sure its in the best shape for them. When Belicheat talked about it, we all know we could see the the patch work on the field, but we let it slide because we won.

From now on, if you want the rodeo, a high school foot ball championship, the final four, college world series to be played on the big stage or stadium, get the Cougs a new stadium and play it there. Or dont do it during football season. Or pay for the dome to get remodeled. But no more tearing up the Texans field two days before they play at home!

:rant:

This was a Chronicle article run after Welker's injury.

"• A closer look at Reliant turf

Bill Belichick's postgame news conferences are never convivial affairs, but his responses to questions Sunday, after the Texans rallied for 21 fourth-quarter points to beat his New England Patriots, seemed even more clipped and cryptic than usual.

Now we know why.

The coach was seething inside about the “terrible condition” of the Reliant Stadium turf, on which Patriots receiver Wes Welker had earlier suffered two torn knee ligaments without being hit. Welker, the NFL's leading receiver with 123 catches, will need reconstructive surgery. Belichick bit his tongue in Houston but has subsequently unloaded.

“For the level of play we have in the National Football League, I think consistency on the field would be priority No. 1,” Belichick complained on his Boston-area radio show. “We talk about players' safety, about hits and all that, and that's certainly an area that should always be addressed. There's nothing more important than player safety. To me, player safety starts on the surface that we play on.”

He called Reliant's field, which is made up of large, thick squares of living grass resting on tray-like pallets, “just inconsistent. It's all the little trays of grass and some of them are soft and some of them are firm, and they don't all fit well together, those seams. Some of it feels like a sponge, some of it feels real firm and hard like the Miami surface. One step you're on one, the other step you're on another.”

Belichick was seen huddling with a group of his offensive linemen at midfield before the game. The Boston Globe reported a couple of the players pointed at the ground and Belichick kicked at the grass, loosening a divot.

Then, a little over five minutes into the game after Welker had caught a short pass from Tom Brady, he cut sharply to avoid Texans safety Bernard Pollard and went down without being hit.

“I really think it's one of the worst fields I've seen,” said Belichick, who won one of his three Super Bowls at Reliant in 2004. “I walked out there and I thought it was terrible. You think it's going to grab and it gives. You think it's going to give and it grabs. That's where you get those non-contact injuries like we saw Sunday.”
Welker injury prompts ire

A spokesperson for SMG, the stadium's management company and thus responsible for the condition of the field, said it would have no comment on Belichick's criticism. Reached Wednesday, Texans owner Bob McNair said he was unaware of Belichick's tirade, but he staunchly defended the Reliant surface.

“If we'd had one of our best players injured on the field, I'd probably not feel good, either,” McNair said. “I was sorry to see Welker go down, too. But, when he made the cut — I've looked at it on film — his foot didn't slip out from under him. His knee just gave away.

“The field was in good shape. None of our players complained about it. We all played on the same field, and we didn't experience those problems. ... Having seen the condition of some of the fields up in the Northeast, I don't see how he could complain about ours.”

The Texans lost Pro Bowl tight end Owen Daniels under similar circumstances in Buffalo at midseason. Daniels also went down while changing direction and was never hit, but no one in the Texans organization blamed Rich Stadium's artificial turf.

The Texas Bowl between Navy and Missouri had been played on the Reliant field Thursday and the quick turnaround made it impossible for all of the turf squares to be replaced, so the change-out was limited to midfield, the end zones and sections where the numbers were. The difference in the appearance of the new and the old grass was discernible from above.

Patriots players, however didn't appear to be overly upset about the footing.

“There were a couple slick spots,” safety James Sanders said after the game. “Our job is to show up and play on Sundays, no matter what the conditions are. The footing wasn't that bad.”

Added wide receiver Julian Edelman: “It was a little soggy, but it wasn't too bad.”

A survey done five years ago rated Reliant's field the fourth best in the NFL. The same portable grass system has been in place since the stadium opened in 2002.

“If you look at it through the years, there hasn't been any real problems that I can think of,” said Texans right tackle Eric Winston, who has started every game at Reliant since early in 2006. “No chronic injuries in certain spots, no rash of certain kinds of injuries. It feels the same every week. They do a good job of putting it together. (The field) is OK by us. It's kind of hard to believe that's what caused (Welker's injury). You never know with the (seams where the trays of turf met), if he caught one bad, but I think it's one of those deals that was just a turn of bad luck.”
‘Silly nonsense' to Pitts

Guard Chester Pitts, an original Texan who may have spent more time playing on the Reliant surface than anyone, was livid about Belichick's criticism, calling it “silly nonsense.”

“I would bet every dollar I have that our field is top five in every category from looking good to being functional to being smooth and thick,” Pitts said. “As offensive linemen, we can even wear our nubby, Cadillac-type cleats on it. Our grounds crew spends all that time and energy doing a great job all year around and then suddenly, because Belichick loses a guy, it's a bad field? In comparison to that sorry Field Turf field (the Patriots) play on and that a lot of the teams use to take the easy way out and save money ... ah, just be quiet.”

Anyone, that's ever been on Reliant's field, especially AFTER a game, you will have appreciated what Belichick was referring to.

The Cush
12-04-2011, 06:42 PM
How do you justify letting a bunch of high schoolers tear up your field the night before men who are worth millions of dollars have to play on there the next morning

brakos82
12-04-2011, 06:42 PM
This was a Chronicle article run after Welker's injury.

• A closer look at Reliant turf[/SIZE]

Bill Belichick's postgame news conferences are never convivial affairs, but his responses to questions Sunday, after the Texans rallied for 21 fourth-quarter points to beat his New England Patriots, seemed even more clipped and cryptic than usual. Now we know why. The coach was seething inside about the “terrible condition” of the Reliant Stadium turf, on which Patriots receiver Wes Welker had earlier suffered two torn knee ligaments without being hit. Welker, the NFL's leading receiver with 123 catches, will need reconstructive surgery. Belichick bit his tongue in Houston but has subsequently unloaded. “For the level of play we have in the National Football League, I think consistency on the field would be priority No. 1,” Belichick complained on his Boston-area radio show. “We talk about players' safety, about hits and all that, and that's certainly an area that should always be addressed. There's nothing more important than player safety. To me, player safety starts on the surface that we play on.” He called Reliant's field, which is made up of large, thick squares of living grass resting on tray-like pallets, “just inconsistent. It's all the little trays of grass and some of them are soft and some of them are firm, and they don't all fit well together, those seams. Some of it feels like a sponge, some of it feels real firm and hard like the Miami surface. One step you're on one, the other step you're on another.” Belichick was seen huddling with a group of his offensive linemen at midfield before the game. The Boston Globe reported a couple of the players pointed at the ground and Belichick kicked at the grass, loosening a divot. Then, a little over five minutes into the game after Welker had caught a short pass from Tom Brady, he cut sharply to avoid Texans safety Bernard Pollard and went down without being hit. “I really think it's one of the worst fields I've seen,” said Belichick, who won one of his three Super Bowls at Reliant in 2004. “I walked out there and I thought it was terrible. You think it's going to grab and it gives. You think it's going to give and it grabs. That's where you get those non-contact injuries like we saw Sunday.” Welker injury prompts ire A spokesperson for SMG, the stadium's management company and thus responsible for the condition of the field, said it would have no comment on Belichick's criticism. Reached Wednesday, Texans owner Bob McNair said he was unaware of Belichick's tirade, but he staunchly defended the Reliant surface. “If we'd had one of our best players injured on the field, I'd probably not feel good, either,” McNair said. “I was sorry to see Welker go down, too. But, when he made the cut — I've looked at it on film — his foot didn't slip out from under him. His knee just gave away. “The field was in good shape. None of our players complained about it. We all played on the same field, and we didn't experience those problems. ... Having seen the condition of some of the fields up in the Northeast, I don't see how he could complain about ours.” The Texans lost Pro Bowl tight end Owen Daniels under similar circumstances in Buffalo at midseason. Daniels also went down while changing direction and was never hit, but no one in the Texans organization blamed Rich Stadium's artificial turf. The Texas Bowl between Navy and Missouri had been played on the Reliant field Thursday and the quick turnaround made it impossible for all of the turf squares to be replaced, so the change-out was limited to midfield, the end zones and sections where the numbers were. The difference in the appearance of the new and the old grass was discernible from above. Patriots players, however didn't appear to be overly upset about the footing. “There were a couple slick spots,” safety James Sanders said after the game. “Our job is to show up and play on Sundays, no matter what the conditions are. The footing wasn't that bad.” Added wide receiver Julian Edelman: “It was a little soggy, but it wasn't too bad.” A survey done five years ago rated Reliant's field the fourth best in the NFL. The same portable grass system has been in place since the stadium opened in 2002. “If you look at it through the years, there hasn't been any real problems that I can think of,” said Texans right tackle Eric Winston, who has started every game at Reliant since early in 2006. “No chronic injuries in certain spots, no rash of certain kinds of injuries. It feels the same every week. They do a good job of putting it together. (The field) is OK by us. It's kind of hard to believe that's what caused (Welker's injury). You never know with the (seams where the trays of turf met), if he caught one bad, but I think it's one of those deals that was just a turn of bad luck.” ‘Silly nonsense' to Pitts Guard Chester Pitts, an original Texan who may have spent more time playing on the Reliant surface than anyone, was livid about Belichick's criticism, calling it “silly nonsense.” “I would bet every dollar I have that our field is top five in every category from looking good to being functional to being smooth and thick,” Pitts said. “As offensive linemen, we can even wear our nubby, Cadillac-type cleats on it. Our grounds crew spends all that time and energy doing a great job all year around and then suddenly, because Belichick loses a guy, it's a bad field? In comparison to that sorry Field Turf field (the Patriots) play on and that a lot of the teams use to take the easy way out and save money ... ah, just be quiet.”"]
• A closer look at Reliant turf

Bill Belichick's postgame news conferences are never convivial affairs, but his responses to questions Sunday, after the Texans rallied for 21 fourth-quarter points to beat his New England Patriots, seemed even more clipped and cryptic than usual.

Now we know why.

The coach was seething inside about the “terrible condition” of the Reliant Stadium turf, on which Patriots receiver Wes Welker had earlier suffered two torn knee ligaments without being hit. Welker, the NFL's leading receiver with 123 catches, will need reconstructive surgery. Belichick bit his tongue in Houston but has subsequently unloaded.

“For the level of play we have in the National Football League, I think consistency on the field would be priority No. 1,” Belichick complained on his Boston-area radio show. “We talk about players' safety, about hits and all that, and that's certainly an area that should always be addressed. There's nothing more important than player safety. To me, player safety starts on the surface that we play on.”

He called Reliant's field, which is made up of large, thick squares of living grass resting on tray-like pallets, “just inconsistent. It's all the little trays of grass and some of them are soft and some of them are firm, and they don't all fit well together, those seams. Some of it feels like a sponge, some of it feels real firm and hard like the Miami surface. One step you're on one, the other step you're on another.”

Belichick was seen huddling with a group of his offensive linemen at midfield before the game. The Boston Globe reported a couple of the players pointed at the ground and Belichick kicked at the grass, loosening a divot.

Then, a little over five minutes into the game after Welker had caught a short pass from Tom Brady, he cut sharply to avoid Texans safety Bernard Pollard and went down without being hit.

“I really think it's one of the worst fields I've seen,” said Belichick, who won one of his three Super Bowls at Reliant in 2004. “I walked out there and I thought it was terrible. You think it's going to grab and it gives. You think it's going to give and it grabs. That's where you get those non-contact injuries like we saw Sunday.”
Welker injury prompts ire

A spokesperson for SMG, the stadium's management company and thus responsible for the condition of the field, said it would have no comment on Belichick's criticism. Reached Wednesday, Texans owner Bob McNair said he was unaware of Belichick's tirade, but he staunchly defended the Reliant surface.

“If we'd had one of our best players injured on the field, I'd probably not feel good, either,” McNair said. “I was sorry to see Welker go down, too. But, when he made the cut — I've looked at it on film — his foot didn't slip out from under him. His knee just gave away.

“The field was in good shape. None of our players complained about it. We all played on the same field, and we didn't experience those problems. ... Having seen the condition of some of the fields up in the Northeast, I don't see how he could complain about ours.”

The Texans lost Pro Bowl tight end Owen Daniels under similar circumstances in Buffalo at midseason. Daniels also went down while changing direction and was never hit, but no one in the Texans organization blamed Rich Stadium's artificial turf.

The Texas Bowl between Navy and Missouri had been played on the Reliant field Thursday and the quick turnaround made it impossible for all of the turf squares to be replaced, so the change-out was limited to midfield, the end zones and sections where the numbers were. The difference in the appearance of the new and the old grass was discernible from above.

Patriots players, however didn't appear to be overly upset about the footing.

“There were a couple slick spots,” safety James Sanders said after the game. “Our job is to show up and play on Sundays, no matter what the conditions are. The footing wasn't that bad.”

Added wide receiver Julian Edelman: “It was a little soggy, but it wasn't too bad.”

A survey done five years ago rated Reliant's field the fourth best in the NFL. The same portable grass system has been in place since the stadium opened in 2002.

“If you look at it through the years, there hasn't been any real problems that I can think of,” said Texans right tackle Eric Winston, who has started every game at Reliant since early in 2006. “No chronic injuries in certain spots, no rash of certain kinds of injuries. It feels the same every week. They do a good job of putting it together. (The field) is OK by us. It's kind of hard to believe that's what caused (Welker's injury). You never know with the (seams where the trays of turf met), if he caught one bad, but I think it's one of those deals that was just a turn of bad luck.”
‘Silly nonsense' to Pitts

Guard Chester Pitts, an original Texan who may have spent more time playing on the Reliant surface than anyone, was livid about Belichick's criticism, calling it “silly nonsense.”

“I would bet every dollar I have that our field is top five in every category from looking good to being functional to being smooth and thick,” Pitts said. “As offensive linemen, we can even wear our nubby, Cadillac-type cleats on it. Our grounds crew spends all that time and energy doing a great job all year around and then suddenly, because Belichick loses a guy, it's a bad field? In comparison to that sorry Field Turf field (the Patriots) play on and that a lot of the teams use to take the easy way out and save money ... ah, just be quiet.” ([SIZE="4)

Anyone, that's ever been on Reliant's field, especially AFTER a game, you will have appreciated what Belichick was referring to.
Longest link ever.

CloakNNNdagger
12-04-2011, 07:09 PM
Longest link ever.

Sorry, screwed up on the initial post......but corrected it up above. [You were too quick for me!]

TexansBull
12-04-2011, 07:17 PM
You'd think the Texans would replace the turf after the high school games that had just been played there. They have two turfs they can use, unless the other one had already been chewed up also from football games.

Then the grounds keeper should be fired and McNair should re-write who gets to used the stadium when. If I spent almost a billion dollars on this team, just to see the players I am paying millions of dollars go down on the best season ever, potentially superbowl good, I would be chewing the mayors ass, city council, reliant, and anyone else I could find.

:strangle:

How do you justify letting a bunch of high schoolers tear up your field the night before men who are worth millions of dollars have to play on there the next morning

Why can't they use the Dynamo field? That would make more sense. I guarantee that highschool game can't fill up that stadium. They have a better chance at that dynamo field.

:wild:

burro
12-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Almost makes me wish we still had Astroturf. It hurt like hell to play on, but no one was going to get tripped up on it and pull a hamstring or sprain an ankle.

CloakNNNdagger
12-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Almost makes me wish we still had Astroturf. It hurt like hell to play on, but no one was going to get tripped up on it and pull a hamstring or sprain an ankle.

You are kidding, aren't you?!

CloakNNNdagger
12-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Then the grounds keeper should be fired and McNair should re-write who gets to used the stadium when. If I spent almost a billion dollars on this team, just to see the players I am paying millions of dollars go down on the best season ever, potentially superbowl good, I would be chewing the mayors ass, city council, reliant, and anyone else I could find.

:strangle:

Why can't they use the Dynamo field? That would make more sense. I guarantee that highschool game can't fill up that stadium. They have a better chance at that dynamo field.

:wild:

Same problem the Dolphins deal with.

TexansFanatic
12-04-2011, 07:56 PM

Right. Astroturf didn't just hurt like hell. It ruined careers.

burro
12-04-2011, 07:59 PM

Of course. The key word was "almost". Trust me, I've played on Astroturf and it sucks hard core; may as well be playing on cement.

TexanBacker93
12-04-2011, 08:01 PM

High Schoolers or College kids. Only allow the Stadium to be used on weeks the Texans aren't in Houston.

TexanBacker93
12-04-2011, 08:03 PM

I think they just replace some of the squares. That could lead to some of the problems.

GP
12-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Commentators on Cowboys game said the Cardinals' turf was equally as bad tonight. Players using longer cleats to compensate :kitten:

I think all surfaces get worn down over the course of a full season.

But having high school and college games doesn't help.

TexanSam
12-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Found this article from last December. Why didn't this happen?

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Reliant-Stadium-may-use-turf-for-non-Texans-games-1710386.php

Reliant Park may purchase an artificial turf field that can be used at Reliant Stadium to host multiple events, including high school football championship games, and avoid wear and tear on the portable grass field used for Texans games.

SMG, which manages the county-owned complex, is looking at three turf systems that could be in place as early as next fall, Jeff Gaines, the assistant general manager of Reliant Park, said Thursday.

Worth the cost
"We're aggressively trying to find a way to fit the high school playoffs within our event schedule," Gaines said. "The (grass) field is here for the Texans, so we need an artificial turf system that will be economically feasible so we can put it in without throwing hundreds of bodies at it, get it ready, play the games and then get it out for the Texans' (next) game."

The cost of the artificial turf would be offset by revenue from high school and college games, which were a staple at the Astrodome but have been rarely played at Reliant because of the risk of damage to the removable grass field that will continue to be used for Texans games.

"If we had some luck with coin flips (for playoff sites), we could play three and four games a weekend," Gaines said. "I think we could do 20 games over the course of four months. That would help pay for the turf, installation, removal and storage, and it would give us a 10 percent to 15 percent increase for our event calendar at the stadium."

SheTexan
12-04-2011, 08:09 PM

I was at Reliant yesterday watching a High School playoff, and a bunch of us discussed that very issue. Not only did the players romp all over the turf, but, you had two High School bands, cheerleaders, drill teams, flag corps, doing the same thing at halftime. I saw the turf getting dug up in places during the game, and wondered if Reliants crew would have time to replace some of the sections. According to what I saw today, I guess not!

srrono
12-04-2011, 08:59 PM
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2011/12/04/texans-players-say-field-not-up-to-par/

HOUSTON (CBS Houston) – During the Texans 17-10 victory over the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday at Reliant Stadium, punter Brett Hartmann went down with an injury without being touched. A routine punt during the final minute of the game led to Hartmann being helped off the field by Texans trainers as he hopped on one foot to get to the sideline.

“It’s my understanding that he just got caught in the seam or tripped,” coach Gary Kubiak said about Hartmann’s fall.

He was not the first player of the day to suffer a painful injury after a fall that didn’t involve physical contact with anybody else.

The field seemed to be more of an issue on Sunday possibly because there was a high school playoff game at Reliant Stadium on Saturday.

“I know some guys were complaining about it,” nose tackle Shaun Cody said. “Because they played a game on it, it might be a little torn up.”

Dropping like flies

Pro Bowl receiver Andre Johnson, who missed six games after tearing a hamstring muscle in his right leg, suffered a game-ending injury while running a deep route in full stride in the fourth quarter.

“I pulled up with something in my left hamstring,” said Johnson, who will have an MRI on Monday. “It’s very aggravating. I never had hamstring problems, so I’m wondering where it’s coming from.”
Texans Players Say Field Not Up To Par

Inside linebacker Brian Cushing experienced a similar, less severe, flukey tumble to the ground during the second quarter after Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez changed directions while running with the ball. He was not-as-gingerly helped off the field from an apparent knee injury and eventually left the game for the locker room. He returned for the second half after having x-rays, which didn’t reveal any damage to his knee or leg.

“I was a little nervous, especially with the way it (knee) got caught under me,” Cushing said about going down.

All three of those players went down untouched.

A bunch of squares
Texans Players Say Field Not Up To Par

(credit: Anna-Megan Rale/CBS Houston)

In most retractable-roof or domed stadiums, teams use natural grass or some form of synthetic turf, which is installed by unrolling it onto the space.

The field inside Reliant Stadium is composed of actual grass on top of several square pallets, which are pieced together like a puzzle and dissembled when the space is needed for other events. On the seams and corners where each pallet is pieced to the next exist visible unevenness.

The continuity problem between each pallet causes gaps, indentions and lifted areas that can cause tripping.

Cody, who’s in his seventh NFL season and third with the Texans, says he doesn’t know of another NFL field that is pieced together like the one at Reliant.

“It’s a little squirrely sometimes,” Cody said. “When it’s dry, it gets a little lumpy. I didn’t think it was too bad; but then again, I wasn’t running around as much as the other guys.”

Combat the problem

Tight end Joel Dreessen has five touchdown catches for the Texans this season and knows all about the complications that can happen when running down the field.

“I thought it was really good at first considering they played some high school games on it,” Dreessen saidto SportsRadio 610 about the game-day grass. “But [the field] got chopped up fast.

“I was on the ground too much. I slipped a couple times. I’ll probably wear the longer spikes at Reliant for the rest of the year.”

Even though the field’s unevenness may pose a threat to Texans players, Kubiak says injuries are a part of the NFL.

“I think our field is pretty good,” Kubiak said after Sunday’s game. “It’s put together different than most fields, but I haven’t noticed that it’s been any different than any other place we play.”

http://i40.tinypic.com/15evcb8.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2vj1l4p.jpg

SouthSideTexan
12-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Our last game against Tennesee will be less than 24 hrs after the Muffler Bowl will be played. Two college teams and bands trampeling on the field should be nice for the turf. If we get someone hurt the last game of the season, they are going to have a riot on their hands. :wadepalm:

TimeKiller
12-04-2011, 09:08 PM
That's a shame. Seems like they probably should have enough squares to make 2 fields at least...

Speaking of grass, what's the deal with the Yellow Lot having grass parking lots? That was terrible trying to walk through today. How much does concrete cost for the love...?

Playoffs
12-04-2011, 09:11 PM
McNair better fix that fast.

Too much money tied up in these players to risk turf injuries.

badboy
12-04-2011, 09:11 PM
My friends and I made comments about the field all game. It was atrocious. Move the High Schol games to UH. They need money for Sumlin anyway.

texanmojo
12-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Speaking of grass, what's the deal with the Yellow Lot having grass parking lots? That was terrible trying to walk through today. How much does concrete cost for the love...?

The grass is what we like in the Yellow Lot. It's always been that way...and I hope it always stays that way. Plenty on slab for you to park on if you don't like it.

Texan_Bill
12-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Meh, I know someone else that whined about the turf at Reliant:

http://www.fanattic.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Bill-Belichick.jpg

Now I ask you, do you really wanna be in the same company ass that ^^^^ asshat?

steelbtexan
12-04-2011, 09:20 PM

Hasn't happened in a decade.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the changes.

Gary is just being the loyal company man. He know the field is dangerous.

ObsiWan
12-04-2011, 09:20 PM

Yeah, seems like he want to protect his investment by upgrading that field.

Speedy
12-04-2011, 09:23 PM
That's a shame. Seems like they probably should have enough squares to make 2 fields at least...

Hey! Hey! Leave the grass in yellow alone. If you don't like it, don't park there.

CloakNNNdagger
12-04-2011, 09:27 PM
I think they just replace some of the squares. That could lead to some of the problems.

It's not the replacement that is the problem, it's the inconsistent fit and consistency (hard vs soft) of the grass of the pallet to the grass of the adjacent pallet.........consistency problems probably a little more likely when a new replacement pallet is applied next to a relatively old one.

midway
12-04-2011, 09:28 PM

Just because he's an asshat doesn't mean he was incorrect.

Texan_Bill
12-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Just because he's an asshat doesn't mean he was incorrect.

He was completely incorrect and remains an asshat. Wes Welker blew out a knee yet many ofTexans played on the same field and not only didnt get hurt, they loved it.... Yeah, asshat and yeah, wrong!!

I don't need to hear any sniveling from someone who never played a down on the Astrodome floor. Wanna cry about a playing surface? The Dome would be the place to cry.

hradhak
12-04-2011, 09:36 PM
It's surprising to me that with all the advancements in material sciences we can't make a surface that is consistent and safe fore players to reduce knee injuries. I imagine that many concussions also occure when players hit the ground with their head taking most of the impact. My guess is that many injuries could be prevented with a turf surface that is better.

Playoffs
12-04-2011, 09:45 PM
It's not the replacement that is the problem, it's the inconsistent fit and consistency (hard vs soft) of the grass of the pallet to the grass of the adjacent pallet.........consistency problems probably a little more likely when a new replacement pallet is applied next to a relatively old one.
It can't be rocket science ... are the pallets interchangeable?

I mean. c'mon ... I've got two feet, I can grade firmness the old fashioned way.

A good golf course superintendent can do it, as well.

GuerillaBlack
12-04-2011, 09:45 PM
He was completely incorrect and remains an asshat. Wes Welker blew out a knee yet many ofTexans played on the same field and not only didnt get hurt, they loved it.... Yeah, asshat and yeah, wrong!!

I don't need to hear any sniveling from someone who never played a down on the Astrodome floor. Wanna cry about a playing surface? The Dome would be the place to cry.

Except Texans players are going down untouched on that same field. The Goodies was right man. No way around it.

Titans Sux 72
12-04-2011, 09:59 PM
2 words

Field turf!
The best synthetic field some say even better than grass. It's like Tal's hill, why even have it (grass).

jjjezebel
12-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Yeah, I noticed the turf in the Bull Pen endzone looked like crap. Yellowed, and pulling up everywhere.

This makes me nervous about our last game of the season, considering the Texas Bowl will be the day before. :wild:

Norg
12-04-2011, 11:16 PM
im starting to think what bill said was right Maybe something does need to be done to help play saftey maybe someone needs to tell Kubes to send a letter or word up to Mcnair to look into this ..... it does have 2 do with player saftey n all ...

but !!!!!!!!!!!!! by all means we deff dont have the worst field in the NFL Miami Oakland and pittsburg all are just has tricky has ours

Shaft75
12-05-2011, 12:05 AM
I asked one of the groundskeepers about it during the game and he basically said that they had to make a switch to rye grass because the Bermuda wasn't growing all that well. Then he alluded to bringing it all in on pallets and how some of the squares were used that weekend for the HS games.

clutch
12-05-2011, 01:57 AM

^ this..the least schaub could have done was forest gumped it to even out the turf..

CloakNNNdagger
12-05-2011, 09:26 AM
It can't be rocket science ... are the pallets interchangeable?

I mean. c'mon ... I've got two feet, I can grade firmness the old fashioned way.

A good golf course superintendent can do it, as well.

I was being given a private tour of Reliant when they were laying down the very first set of fresh pallets. It looked great and even. But with any play near the seams, the seams will very slightly separate, create stepoffs and irregularities where cleats can catch unevenly.

CloakNNNdagger
12-05-2011, 09:42 AM
The main thing that makes you wonder is... these guys are all going down without contact. They try to kick it into high gear, they make a cut, they pull a hammy or shred a knee.

It's one thing to get injured because a bunch of big, strong guys are twisting your body into directions and positions that, well, nature didn't intend. It's another for this many to go down just for running down the field.

FYI, hamstring injuries are typically non contact injuries (~90%........and ~60% occur simply with running straight ahead without change of direction). They are usually caused by discoordination of the actions of opposing muscle groups with overstreching of the hamstring, not turf problems or by piles.

texanmojo
12-05-2011, 09:47 AM
If I spent almost a billion dollars on this team, just to see the players I am paying millions of dollars go down on the best season ever, potentially superbowl good, I would be chewing the mayors ass, city council, reliant, and anyone else I could find.

Go ahead and chew out City Council, the mayor or anyone else you want in public office about this. They don't give a shit because it would likely be Bob's responsibility to foot the bill.

CloakNNNdagger
12-05-2011, 09:54 AM
If anyone's interested, the going rate for a Field Turf conversion would be in the neighborhood of $1,000,000.

ObsiWan
12-05-2011, 09:59 AM
If anyone's interested, the going rate for a Field Turf conversion would be in the neighborhood of $1,000,000.

as long as it doesn count against the salary cap...

:hides:

silvrhand
12-05-2011, 10:50 AM

Yah but when it's 90+ out there the grass areas are a god send for not reflecting the sun and heat..

HOU-TEX
12-05-2011, 10:55 AM
If I remember correctly, wasn't it the players who wanted and voted for real turf? Most players, if not all of them, hate field turf.

They're lucky they never had to play on astroturf. That stuff sucked. I used to look forward to playing on astroturf...until I did. Not only is it rock hard and will burn skin off you sliding on it, but it will radiate the sun to produce unbearable field temperatures.

CloakNNNdagger
12-05-2011, 11:01 AM
If I remember correctly, wasn't it the players who wanted and voted for real turf? Most players, if not all of them, hate field turf.

They're lucky they never had to play on astroturf. That stuff sucked. I used to look forward to playing on astroturf...until I did. Not only is it rock hard and will burn skin off you sliding on it, but it will radiate the sun to produce unbearable field temperatures.

Every 2 years, the NFLPA takes a survey of their players on grass vs turf. The last survey demonstrated that 87% of the players prefer grass and feel that grass is the safer surface.

BTW, it was amazing, Astrodome Astro Turf had no more padding between the surface and the underlying concrete than your home nonpremium carpet installation.

HOU-TEX
12-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Every 2 years, the NFLPA takes a survey of their players on grass vs turf. The last survey demonstrated that 87% of the players prefer grass and feel that grass is the safer surface.

I would agree with them. I never played on this new field turf (too damn old), but after listening to my son, it sounds similar to astroturf. Maybe a bit more 'give' than astroturf.

TexansBull
12-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Stole,err, Borrowed this pic from BattleRedBlog.com. Kubiak pissed me off today when he said there was nothing wrong with the field.

http://www.chron.com/mediaManager/?controllerName=image&action=get&id=1227077&width=628&height=471

thunderkyss
12-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Stole,err, Borrowed this pic from BattleRedBlog.com. Kubiak pissed me off today when he said there was nothing wrong with the field.

Did any highschoolers go home with busted ACLs? Blown Hammies?

How many Falcons went down with Blown ACLs?

I can see if we were talking about a bunch of blown knees, but I don't see how the field could lead to Hamstring injuries..... to only one team.

I mean, how does it know?

TexansBull
12-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Did any highschoolers go home with busted ACLs? Blown Hammies?

How many Falcons went down with Blown ACLs?

I can see if we were talking about a bunch of blown knees, but I don't see how the field could lead to Hamstring injuries..... to only one team.

I mean, how does it know?

Well ofcourse the highschoolers didnt go home injured. They played first.

One is enough for me. I listened to the multiple player complain. Why isnt that enough?

thunderkyss
12-05-2011, 10:51 PM
One is enough for me. I listened to the multiple player complain. Why isnt that enough?

It's not my money. If they want a better field, I'm all for it.

I'm just not going to blame the field for the injuries.

TexansBull
12-05-2011, 10:53 PM
It's not my money. If they want a better field, I'm all for it.

I'm just not going to blame the field for the injuries.

Thats cool. Its a free country for now...

GP
12-05-2011, 11:06 PM

BTW, it was amazing, Astrodome Astro Turf had no more padding between the surface and the underlying concrete than your home nonpremium carpet installation.

I can see why the players always vote in favor of grass....

:howdy:

JamesBill
12-05-2011, 11:12 PM
I would be interested to know if they roll it to mold the pallets together better. I don't put any stock in the argument about soft vs hard. Would be exactly like hitting a soft puddle or hard drainage area on a real field.

silvrhand
12-05-2011, 11:12 PM

Aldine's field back in the day was not any fun either.. I lost about a pound of skin on that field back in the day..

Rey
12-05-2011, 11:59 PM
I played in the astrodome. Awful field. You could hear the metal plates underneath the surface.

I've also played in the detroits stadium as well as the falcons and Indy. I didn't have a problem with any of those surfaces. But I was a lineman so it's not the same as other positions where cutting and covering distance is required.

But on another note, the gators stadium down in Gainesville was electric. The crowd is right on top of you and the bleachers seem to go up into the sky.

Natural grass there too. I always liked natural grass better. Just feels like football.

edo783
12-06-2011, 12:06 AM
I was sitting in the first row right at the wall and made a comment to CAK who I was sitting with, that the field looked in pretty good shape. However, once the game started, pieces were flying and guys were slipping on cuts. Maybe it's time to make the field turf switch. Some up front expense no doubt, but I would think over time with the lower maintenance cost it would actually be cheaper, not to mention look better.

Brisco_County
12-06-2011, 12:30 AM

Having a patchwork would mean there's inconsistent soil density, leading to inconsistent moisture diffusion under the grass. It seems fine before play, but is very obvious after some wear.

The only solution is to move the highschool games.

GuerillaBlack
12-06-2011, 06:45 AM
I was sitting in the first row right at the wall and made a comment to CAK who I was sitting with, that the field looked in pretty good shape. However, once the game started, pieces were flying and guys were slipping on cuts. Maybe it's time to make the field turf switch. Some up front expense no doubt, but I would think over time with the lower maintenance cost it would actually be cheaper, not to mention look better.

Yeah, switching to field turf is long overdue. The synthetic has finally caught up with the natural. Look at the Cowboys Stadium. Texans need that.

jjjezebel
12-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Question from the confused...Since the field at Reliant currently isn't a permanent fixture due to the rodeo and other events, even if the change to field turf was made, wouldn't palletizing it just cause the same kinds of problems that real turf does?

From looking at their website, it seems the turf is most effective when it's sown together in order to increase its stability. Also you have all those rubber pellets within it for the cushioning.

Unless they overhaul the entire system, and find a way to make the turf permanent without damaging it during other events, it almost seems like the system we have is the best we can get...we just need better grass/upkeep.

Texan_Bill
12-06-2011, 09:49 AM

Tell me about a Doc. I played a few games there. BTW, it was no easier on the body playing baseball there, either.

GP
12-06-2011, 10:00 AM
I grew up in a rodeo family, I'm as FOR rodeo as they get.

But SCREW rodeo, and screw anything else that goes on inside Reliant that would need a field removed and dirt hauled in.

I don't know how much revenue Bob is making off hosting non-Texans events inside Reliant, but he should dedicate his stadium to 100% football. Then install the best field turf system.

High schools can play on it. Colleges too. Bands can march all over it.

There's no seams for your punter to trip on and blow an ACL out. There's no consistency of texture problem. It's padded. It looks good.

Easy decision, as far as I am concerned. But maybe the revenue lost and the expense to add the field is too much....I can "understand" why he wouldn't. :kitten:

jjjezebel
12-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as if I'm disagreeing about the field turf...I'd like to see it become permanent as well, I was just questioning whether it could/would work within the confines of the current system.

steelbtexan
12-06-2011, 10:20 AM

This has been going on with the field for yrs.

BoBBy will just pass the cost of the new field on to the fans. So if you want the new field turf you better be willing to pay $5-$10 more per ticket per game.

Texan_Bill
12-06-2011, 10:29 AM
I grew up in a rodeo family, I'm as FOR rodeo as they get.

But SCREW rodeo, and screw anything else that goes on inside Reliant that would need a field removed and dirt hauled in.

I don't know how much revenue Bob is making off hosting non-Texans events inside Reliant, but he should dedicate his stadium to 100% football. Then install the best field turf system.

High schools can play on it. Colleges too. Bands can march all over it.

There's no seams for your punter to trip on and blow an ACL out. There's no consistency of texture problem. It's padded. It looks good.

Easy decision, as far as I am concerned. But maybe the revenue lost and the expense to add the field is too much....I can "understand" why he wouldn't. :kitten:

Screw rodeo? Hell, they generate more revenue and have more dates than anyone else. Not to mention they were a major contributor in the construction of the stadium, conference center and renovation to the Astro Hall. They also paid for that roof that everyone seems to love.

infantrycak
12-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Yeah, switching to field turf is long overdue. The synthetic has finally caught up with the natural. Look at the Cowboys Stadium. Texans need that.

Then install the best field turf system.

The players do not want field turf. They have field turf in the practice bubble and several of the players do only limited practices in there because they don't like the surface (AJ, OD come to mind). Cushing was on the radio this morning and said Reliant is his favorite field to play on although he acknowledged it wasn't up to its usual standard this past weekend. Every time there has been a poll of NFL players it has been overwhelmingly in favor of grass.

disaacks3
12-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Hasn't happened in a decade.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the changes.

Gary is just being the loyal company man. He know the field is dangerous. The field, (as designed) isn't dangerous at all. The high school/college kids tearing it up makes it sloppier,but no less safe. Better a sloppy, consistent field, than what we've got now.

It's not the replacement that is the problem, it's the inconsistent fit and consistency (hard vs soft) of the grass of the pallet to the grass of the adjacent pallet.........consistency problems probably a little more likely when a new replacement pallet is applied next to a relatively old one. Yep, it's the damn PARTIAL replacements of the turf that are causing the issues.

Having a patchwork would mean there's inconsistent soil density, leading to inconsistent moisture diffusion under the grass. It seems fine before play, but is very obvious after some wear.

The only solution is to move the highschool games. Actually, the solution is to replace the whole damn field (like they were supposed to). They keep 3 complete fields offsite. The reason they haven't been replacing all the tiles is due to cost, not time restraints. (They don't want to pay the night differential/overtime to replace all the pieces.)

Double Barrel
12-06-2011, 11:59 AM

Sure! :trophy::trophy::trophy:

You might consider him an "asshat", but if you're objective about it, you'd also agree that dude has forgotten more football knowledge than we collectively will ever know...

Seems like a good investment to use for non-Texan games, considering what they pay these players and what is ultimately at stake when we lose our starters.

I think it's kinda' pathetic to let the field get torn up for a friggin' HS game the day before a pro game is played, considering WHAT THE FREAKIN' STADIUM WAS BUILT FOR!!!

GuerillaBlack
12-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Maybe once the Dynamo Stadium is complete next year, they will move the high school games over there.

CloakNNNdagger
12-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Now the Texans face the Bengals on synthetic Field Turf. If it rains, sleets or snows, expect some injuries, especially knees. But as of now, it's forecast to be 35-40 degrees game time......and sunny. Still will need to watch those muscles, especially the hammies due to the cold.

FYI...........the Bengals are 6-4 on turf this season, the Texans 3-7

Grams
12-08-2011, 08:02 AM
Now the Texans face the Bengals on synthetic Field Turf. If it rains, sleets or snows, expect some injuries, especially knees. But as of now, it's forecast to be 35-40 degrees game time......and sunny. Still will need to watch those muscles, especially the hammies due to the cold.

FYI...........the Bengals are 6-4 on turf this season, the Texans 3-7

How can we be 3-7 on turf this year when we are 9-3 overall?

CloakNNNdagger
12-08-2011, 08:35 AM
How can we be 3-7 on turf this year when we are 9-3 overall?

I found that stat............and my head must have been hiding where it was very dark.:kitten:

EDIT: Just looked up the source........it was a bettor's over under stat. Should have caught that.....and ignored it. Thanks for the correction.

HJam72
12-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Sure! :trophy::trophy::trophy:

You might consider him an "asshat", but if you're objective about it, you'd also agree that dude has forgotten more football knowledge than we collectively will ever know...

Seems like a good investment to use for non-Texan games, considering what they pay these players and what is ultimately at stake when we lose our starters.

I think it's kinda' pathetic to let the field get torn up for a friggin' HS game the day before a pro game is played, considering WHAT THE FREAKIN' STADIUM WAS BUILT FOR!!!

Yes, but my assumption is that he's dishonest, and you know of what evidence I speak of. I do agree with the rest of your post.

Speedy
12-08-2011, 02:04 PM
I found that stat............and my head must have been hiding where it was very dark.:kitten:

EDIT: Just looked up the source........it was a bettor's over under stat. Should have caught that.....and ignored it. Thanks for the correction.

3-7 the last 10 times they've played on turf.

GlassHalfFull
12-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Question from the confused...Since the field at Reliant currently isn't a permanent fixture due to the rodeo and other events, even if the change to field turf was made, wouldn't palletizing it just cause the same kinds of problems that real turf does?

From looking at their website, it seems the turf is most effective when it's sown together in order to increase its stability. Also you have all those rubber pellets within it for the cushioning.

Unless they overhaul the entire system, and find a way to make the turf permanent without damaging it during other events, it almost seems like the system we have is the best we can get...we just need better grass/upkeep.

I don't think anyone answered this question. I have been wondering how it would work also.

Does the field turf get laid down and then another surface laid over it for Rodeo and other events?

CloakNNNdagger
12-10-2011, 01:45 PM
I don't think anyone answered this question. I have been wondering how it would work also.

Does the field turf get laid down and then another surface laid over it for Rodeo and other events?

To prepare Reliant for the Rodeo, workers remove the pallets that hold the grass surface of the Houston Texans' football field. They then put down a layer of clay before spreading something like 3500 cubic yards of dirt to create the rodeo arena floor.

Hope that answers at least some of your questions.

CloakNNNdagger
12-10-2011, 05:44 PM

I didn't realize you were asking about Field Turf specifically, until I read your post over again.

The Colts in their Field Turf stadium simply cover their surface when they have any non-sporting events at their facility. Field Turf is permanently seamed and cannot be removed and rolled up. One of the busiest facilities in the world is New Meadowlands Stadium and they have a permanent FieldTurf surface with a cover also for multi-sports and non-sports events. The cost of the "cover" essentially equals the cost of the Field Turf surface.

The Arizona sliding grass "tray" is rolled outside the stadium to accomplish the same function. The underlying concrete floor is then modified as needed just like Reliant.

The only new multifunction stadium that I am aware that will be able to mechanically roll up its turf and store it to the side, is the FargoDome, home of the NDSU Bison football team. It is scheduled for 2012. It will cost 3 million dollars. They will be playing on new ASTROTURF!...........POOR SLOBS!!!!!!:toropalm:

Hervoyel
12-11-2011, 07:39 AM
If grass in pallets is the only way to go maybe it's time to revisit how they're going about it. I read every year about how the grass isn't well rooted to the soil. People complain about it being "soupy" or "spongy".

Maybe they could modify the pallets? What about making them a little thicker so the grass can root deeper? Maybe they could introduce a layer of some kind of fiber material that grass roots could grow into? I realize that thicker means heavier but I can't imagine it would be impossible. Just buy the next bigger fork-lift. Also it may seem obvious but maybe we need another field to rotate in.

CloakNNNdagger
12-11-2011, 09:11 AM
If grass in pallets is the only way to go maybe it's time to revisit how they're going about it. I read every year about how the grass isn't well rooted to the soil. People complain about it being "soupy" or "spongy".

Maybe they could modify the pallets? What about making them a little thicker so the grass can root deeper? Maybe they could introduce a layer of some kind of fiber material that grass roots could grow into? I realize that thicker means heavier but I can't imagine it would be impossible. Just buy the next bigger fork-lift. Also it may seem obvious but maybe we need another field to rotate in.

A lot of factors account for "soupy and spongy." The pallet grass may be not growing well due to weather conditions in Pearland (such as cloudy conditions or lots of rain or not watering enough in frought or even cold weather). These factors could account for short nonsecure roots if not compensated. Also, if the grass is not allowed to "take" long enough before transfer to the stadium, the roots will not be secure. This is especially a factor when back to back (even several days apart) events are scheduled. Once the pallets are in Reliant, there isn't enough light at the bottom of the stadium to actually grow grass properly. If they aren't changed often enough............The idea of the "tray system" was a great idea...........but all the factors involved in maintaining a decent looking and safe playing surface requires meticulous attention to a myriad of principles which must be "syncronized" perfectly to work the way it was meant to work.......all of which depend on not cutting ANY corners, of the monetary-heavy and detail-intense care requirements.

ObsiWan
12-11-2011, 09:20 AM
A lot of factors account for "soupy and spongy." The pallet grass may be not growing well due to weather conditions in Pearland (such as cloudy conditions or lots of rain or not watering enough in frought or even cold weather). These factors could account for short nonsecure roots if not compensated. Also, if the grass is not allowed to "take" long enough before transfer to the stadium, the roots will not be secure. This is especially a factor when back to back (even several days apart) events are scheduled. Once the pallets are in Reliant, there isn't enough light at the bottom of the stadium to actually grow grass properly. If they aren't changed often enough............The idea of the "tray system" was a great idea...........but all the factors involved in maintaining a decent looking and safe playing surface requires meticulous attention to a myriad of principles which must be "syncronized" perfectly to work the way it was meant to work.......all of which depend on not cutting ANY corners, of the monetary-heavy and detail-intense care requirements.

Given all you've pointed out, maybe we should take a page from the Patriots and give up on that sad grass stuff and go to Field Turf on those pallets. And not that rock-hard AstroTurf but the next gen stuff with the padding beneath it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d8/Modernartificialgrass2.svg/350px-Modernartificialgrass2.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Modernartificialgrass2.svg)

Wolf
12-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Astrodome could be used as the worlds largest greenhouse :kitten:

At least it would be used for something :peek:

CloakNNNdagger
12-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Given all you've pointed out, maybe we should take a page from the Patriots and give up on that sad grass stuff and go to Field Turf on those pallets. And not that rock-hard AstroTurf but the next gen stuff with the padding beneath it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d8/Modernartificialgrass2.svg/350px-Modernartificialgrass2.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Modernartificialgrass2.svg)

I don't believe that any artificial turf will work with the tray system. Separated seams will be an entirely unsurmountable problem because that type of turf requires permanently "sealed" seams. Companies have tried loop and hook or zipper seams without acceptable results.

Koolaid Time
12-11-2011, 09:44 PM
When the SuperBowl was here in 2004 didn't they lay a sod field on top of the trays?

The problem is the trays. You can't mix and match pallets from Field A with pallets from Field B because of the basic variations.

Rey
12-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Anybody know what kind of field northshore has?

I remember playing on that field and there were little black rubber pellet like things in it. A couple guys said it got in their eyes, but it felt great to run on and land on.

Not much turf burn and pretty soft.

Is that the field turf stuff?

I don't really know fields. I most played on Astro and grass.

Koolaid Time
12-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Anybody know what kind of field northshore has?

I remember playing on that field and there were little black rubber pellet like things in it. A couple guys said it got in their eyes, but it felt great to run on and land on.

Not much turf burn and pretty soft.

Is that the field turf stuff?

I don't really know fields. I most played on Astro and grass.

That's Field Turf.

Rice plays on it and loves it.