PDA

View Full Version : Andre Johnson hammy injury: Early reports say "not serious"

GP
12-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Early reports (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7315576/andre-johnson-houston-texans-hurts-left-hammy-leaves-game-atlanta-falcons) is that Kubiak does not think it's serious.

Coach Gary Kubiak said after the game that the injury is not believe to be serious, but the team will have to wait until Monday to know more.

GP
12-04-2011, 05:05 PM
This was the other leg, IIRC. Not the one he had injured earlier in the season.

So maybe it's pulled and needs rest. Wondering if this is a no-practice and just ride the bike all week, or if it's the old 2 to 3 week rest like we saw with Foster earlier in the season.

TexanSam
12-04-2011, 05:13 PM
I'm guessing he doesn't play next week, even if it's not major. It's probably going to be cold in Cincinnati, and that type of weather isn't the best way to come back from a muscle injury.

GP
12-04-2011, 05:14 PM
I'm guessing he doesn't play next week, even if it's not major. It's probably going to be cold in Cincinnati, and that type of weather isn't the best way to come back from a muscle injury.

I would take the approach of: Let's sit him until playoffs.

If we make it, we got him back. If not, then we didn't risk him blowing the left hammy.

ziggy29
12-04-2011, 05:15 PM
Cautiously good news if true. Still have to shut him down next week at minimum, I think. And I'm leaning toward not bringing him back until the playoffs or until there's a must-win regular season game, whichever comes first.

Clamp
12-04-2011, 05:15 PM

So maybe it's pulled and needs rest. Wondering if this is a no-practice and just ride the bike all week, or if it's the old 2 to 3 week rest like we saw with Foster earlier in the season.

Rest that thing for the playoffs. We showed that we can still play without him, and if we drop one to the Bengals its not the end of the world. Cincy didnt play well today and I think we can beat them without Dre. Sit him for a few weeks and let him play the Tennessee game at the end of the season if he feels up to it.

Kthx
12-04-2011, 05:16 PM
I hate to do it but I am a bit pessimistic about the injury, after all of the information CND passed along about the injury that involved the surgery that we weren't officially told about it makes me think that his old injured leg isn't really 100% and its causing problems with his "good" leg by trying to compensate for the lack of strength in it. I honestly don't know if he will be back this season.

Corrosion
12-04-2011, 05:17 PM

I know they are 9-3 with the #1 seed and #80 is a big part of the offense ..... But I almost want to pull the plug on AJ's season get him back healthy rather than risk another more serious injury.

Looking at all the injuries this team has sustained I wonder if its worth it to potentially compramise his career .....

Clamp
12-04-2011, 05:23 PM
I hate to do it but I am a bit pessimistic about the injury, after all of the information CND passed along about the injury that involved the surgery that we weren't officially told about it makes me think that his old injured leg isn't really 100% and its causing problems with his "good" leg by trying to compensate for the lack of strength in it. I honestly don't know if he will be back this season.

I figured it had more to do with the fact that he has been on the shelf for so long and is now trying to go full speed without having enough time to get his body ready. I have no more info than you or anyone else so this is all just conjecture, but I think this is just a plain ole pulled hammy like a lot of guys get at the start of the season who missed training camp. He's just too strong and fast for his own good, his body couldn't take it yet.

TexansBull
12-04-2011, 05:23 PM
I would take the approach of: Let's sit him until playoffs.

If we make it, we got him back. If not, then we didn't risk him blowing the left hammy.

Sit him until the game before the playoffs. Let him shake some rust off. But limit his reps to like 10-15.

This is what I fear. What if his other hamstring tore because of the expiremental procedure that AJ went through.

CloakNNNdagger
12-04-2011, 05:50 PM
HoustonTexans TWITTER
@johnson80 on his left hammy: "I know it's not as bad as the last injury I had, but I'm def. worried about it. It just didn't feel right."
15 minutes ago

TexCanada
12-04-2011, 05:57 PM
I don't think he should play next week. If there is any doubt whatsoever about his health, sit him. I am really starting to doubt this medical staff.

CloakNNNdagger
12-04-2011, 06:04 PM
I figured it had more to do with the fact that he has been on the shelf for so long and is now trying to go full speed without having enough time to get his body ready. I have no more info than you or anyone else so this is all just conjecture, but I think this is just a plain ole pulled hammy like a lot of guys get at the start of the season who missed training camp. He's just too strong and fast for his own good, his body couldn't take it yet.

Being "on the shelf" also would contribute to inadequate full speed rehab of an injury........Pushing too much too quickly will always contribute to increased risk of re-injury and new injury. If you are pushing full speed on an injury that is not prepared for the continuous extreme stress of a real game, you will see re-injury or a need to compensate with additional stress on another joint or muscle (many times on the opposite side) which in turn commonly leads to the injury of the other overly stressed structure.

Even Kubiak admitted LAST game that he probably played AJ too long. To that statement, he probably should have added "too soon."

TexansBull
12-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Losing Dre hurts the entire. It will hurt TJ because the defense won't double him any more and send an extra man at him. It will hurt the running game in the same way because someone extra will be in the box. That means the offense will be on the field shorter, the defense on the field longer getting them gassed.

Sigh, I hat when the win doesn't feel like a win.

fiasco west
12-04-2011, 06:47 PM
I think we save him for the playoffs at this point.

It's 'not serious' but Foster's pre-season hammy injury wasn't serious either.

Sounds like he tweaked a hammy today and is already dealing with the previous one that was clipped. Sounds like for Andre and the teams sake he should be rested as much as possible.

I dunno, i'm not even close to being a doctor but it would suck if AJ missed our first playoff game. Hell, it wouldn't even feel like we've made the playoffs if he didn't play. It'd be like some cruel joke...

Ryan
12-04-2011, 07:39 PM
I think we save him for the playoffs at this point.

It's 'not serious' but Foster's pre-season hammy injury wasn't serious either.

Sounds like he tweaked a hammy today and is already dealing with the previous one that was clipped. Sounds like for Andre and the teams sake he should be rested as much as possible.

I dunno, i'm not even close to being a doctor but it would suck if AJ missed our first playoff game. Hell, it wouldn't even feel like we've made the playoffs if he didn't play. It'd be like some cruel joke...

Agreed. Just save him for playoffs now.

EllisUnit
12-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Losing Dre hurts the entire. It will hurt TJ because the defense won't double him any more and send an extra man at him. It will hurt the running game in the same way because someone extra will be in the box. That means the offense will be on the field shorter, the defense on the field longer getting them gassed.

Sigh, I hat when the win doesn't feel like a win.

it didnt look like the falcons were doubling him either, every time i saw him he was 1 on 1 except that last play when he got hurt.

kcdoubleeagle
12-04-2011, 07:50 PM
I mean...we are playing for home field advantage in the playoffs...every game now is like a playoff game. I don't want to sit AJ if he doesn't have to sit...Why would we sit the best receiver in the game if the docs clear him?

GP
12-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Where is Derrick Mason? Where is Bryant Johnson?

Why do we pick up WRs like those two guys and just almost completely ignore them on the field during a game?

I was Jacoby Jones' biggest advocate on here to begin the season, but the guy is careless on his route running (he's had SOME good games at it, though) and I just don't trust him in must-have, gotta'-get situations.

I suppose Owen Daniels and a sprinkling of Kevin Walter is our only legitimate receiving threats? This is not going to hold up well later on in the season or playoffs.

This team has to get Mason and Bryant Johnson catching passes and being contributors in games.

TheRealJoker
12-04-2011, 07:54 PM

Why do we pick up WRs like those two guys and just almost completely ignore them on the field during a game?

I was Jacoby Jones' biggest advocate on here to begin the season, but the guy is careless on his route running (he's had SOME good games at it, though) and I just don't trust him in must-have, gotta'-get situations.

I suppose Owen Daniels and a sprinkling of Kevin Walter is our only legitimate receiving threats? This is not going to hold up well later on in the season or playoffs.

This team has to get Mason and Bryant Johnson catching passes and being contributors in games.

I am a bit concerned with the lack of James Casey in the receiving game since he's returned. He can be a nice security blanket for TJ.

EllisUnit
12-04-2011, 07:55 PM

yeah i agree, i have watched maso when he has been on the field and i think he could be a big factor come late in the season. He runs good routes, he is still pretty quick and he is big and physical. I also think Bryant Johnson could help us, but they seem to keep the 2 out of the offense as much as they can.

MEGA SWATT
12-04-2011, 07:56 PM

Agreed!:bravo:

TexansBull
12-04-2011, 08:07 PM
it didnt look like the falcons were doubling him either, every time i saw him he was 1 on 1 except that last play when he got hurt.

He hadn't reached beast mode yet. If he would had lasted to finish the game, he would have had been doubled.

CloakNNNdagger
12-04-2011, 08:15 PM
I am a bit concerned with the lack of James Casey in the receiving game since he's returned. He can be a nice security blanket for TJ.

While rehabbing from a pec injury, it is difficult AND potentially hurtful to fully stretch the muscle which is required to go up or stretch out for balls. Same goes for pulling a ball into his body against the resistance of a defender. All good ways to reinjure........all necessary for being a receiver. That can also account at least in part for lack of strength to block, which requires all out pec strength for pushing the defender off, which also increases change of reinjury.

CloakNNNdagger
12-04-2011, 08:16 PM
I mean...we are playing for home field advantage in the playoffs...every game now is like a playoff game. I don't want to sit AJ if he doesn't have to sit...Why would we sit the best receiver in the game if the docs clear him?

That's what has already gotten him in trouble.

kcdoubleeagle
12-04-2011, 08:23 PM
That's what has already gotten him in trouble.

You always seem to be dead on the money when it comes to these things...with what you know about AJ's hammy....would you have advised the coaches to sit him the last two weeks?

GP
12-04-2011, 08:35 PM
You always seem to be dead on the money when it comes to these things...with what you know about AJ's hammy....would you have advised the coaches to sit him the last two weeks?

Quite frankly, we're looking at a potential ticking time bomb the way I hear it.

Andre Johnson's other muscles and ligaments that surround the area of his right hamstring will now be forced to carry a heavier load as he uses that leg during plays.

Pretend you have your brand new Toyota Tundra pickup suspended 5 stories above the ground...it is held in mid-air by three or four heavy-duty chains. Now imagine that one or two of those chains SNAP and you're down to only having maybe 2 chains left to hold it. Can the remaining chains hold up? What if the wind gets up to 60 mph, and you got your truck spinning and jerking back and forth 5 stories above ground with two chains holding it.

Probably a bad analogy, but the point is that Andre Johnson is beginning to have durability issues. For me, that freaking TURF system in Reliant is causing these lower body injuries. Cushing today, Hartmann today, Andre today, and Andre earlier this season...all that happened on OUR turf and every play our guy was untouched. Sucks.

kcdoubleeagle
12-04-2011, 08:44 PM
You are right...it does suck. I have never seen so many players go down untouched...not good especially this season.

CloakNNNdagger
12-04-2011, 09:16 PM

Probably. But when studies mention return to play, it takes for granted an appropriate time for total rest and a reasonable graduation of re-introduction to activity. The body can heal only so fast. The body can be pushed to heal only so far. Even a superman performer like AJ has healing timeline limitations that if misplaced in "superhuman" category will probably eventually one way or another take him back to square one.

MEGA SWATT
12-04-2011, 09:34 PM
AJ needs to talk with Isaac Bruce of the 99 Super Bowl Rams for tips on his hammy issues:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1018216/1/index.htm

Fifteen minutes before the biggest game of his life, Isaac Bruce put his foot down—squishing a fallen orange pylon in a corner of the Trans World Dome's south end zone while giving his delicate right leg one last stretch before show time. Then Bruce, the St. Louis Rams' explosive and emotive wideout, heard what he later described as a "click, click, POP" and felt a sharp burn in his right groin. His stomach dropped, and for the next few minutes Bruce descended back into the sore-hamstring hell that plagued his 1997 and '98 seasons, purging him from the ranks of the league's elite receivers and threatening his athletic identity. He walked gingerly through the tunnel, grabbed a cell phone from his locker and entered the training room in search of something to heal him.

Just as no hoopster will ever replicate Michael Jordan's greatness, NFL receivers can forget about trying to be like Ike. Bruce is a unique talent with a singular personality, an impudent iconoclast guided by an all-consuming faith in God. The treatment he sought for his injury before Sunday's NFC divisional playoff game against the Minnesota Vikings gave new meaning to the term alternative medicine. Rather than alerting St. Louis's medical staff to his condition, Bruce isolated himself in a small corridor and called his mother, Kairethiatic, back in his hometown of Fort Lauderdale. When she didn't answer, he started dialing up siblings—and given that Bruce has 14 of them, the odds were good he'd reach a live voice. Older sister Juliana Joseph picked up on the first ring. "Hey, I was just watching you on TV," she said from the living room of her Fort Lauderdale home. "What are you doing?"

"Pray with me," Bruce said, and he and Juliana immersed themselves in the first book of Peter, chapter 2, verse 24: "Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed."

Several minutes later Bruce stood on the Rams' sideline and watched the vaunted Vikings offense finish an 11-play, game-opening drive with Gary Anderson's 31-yard field goal. After the ensuing kickoff St. Louis took over on its own 23 and issued a swift and thunderous response. Quarterback Kurt Warner, who in 4� months has gone from being an anonymous backup to an American sports sensation, faked a handoff to All-Pro running back Marshall Faulk and threw a heavenly spiral to Bruce, who had run a post route from the left slot and was open in the middle of the field. Bruce caught the ball at the 50, sliced past flailing free safety Anthony Bass and zoomed untouched into the same end zone in which his groin had betrayed him earlier.
As he and several teammates celebrated with their Bob 'n' Weave dance, Bruce felt no pain, unlike the Vikings, whose agony had only just begun. Flaunting one of the most potent attacks ever assembled, the Rams, with Warner completing 27 of 33 passes to 10 receivers for 391 yards and five touchdowns, raced to a 49-37 victory and took several rapid steps toward the Super Bowl. Though St. Louis will face the league's most imposing defense when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers come calling for this Sunday's NFC Championship Game, the Rams have no intention of slowing down. "They'll have to score—a lot—to beat us," Bruce said after Sunday's game, in which he caught four passes for 133 yards, including an eight-yard slant that set up Faulk's pivotal one-yard touchdown run midway through the third quarter.

St. Louis appears to be on the fast track to its first Super Bowl tide, and for all the obvious catalysts—Warner, the NFL MVP, who threw for 41 touchdowns during the regular season; Faulk, who set a league record for most combined rushing and receiving yards in a season; NFL coach of the year Dick Vermeil; and offensive coordinator Mike Martz, who will take over for Vermeil in 2002—Bruce, 27, is at the top of the list.

Bruce's health means everything to the Rams. While Bruce missed 15 of 32 games due to recurring hamstring injuries in 1997 and '98, St. Louis hobbled to a 9-23 record. He approached the '99 campaign determined to prove his value to a large group of skeptics that had included, at times, his coach. "His pride, his ego and his career were on the line," Vermeil says of Bruce. "He made as concentrated an effort to remain injury-free as any player in football."

bo orlando
12-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Probably a bad analogy, but the point is that Andre Johnson is beginning to have durability issues. For me, that freaking TURF system in Reliant is causing these lower body injuries. Cushing today, Hartmann today, Andre today, and Andre earlier this season...all that happened on OUR turf and every play our guy was untouched. Sucks.

maybe it's not the turf, but something the training staff is or isn't doing. after all, i haven't seen nearly the same amount of lower body injuries from texan road opponents.

CloakNNNdagger
12-06-2011, 02:20 PM
maybe it's not the turf, but something the training staff is or isn't doing. after all, i haven't seen nearly the same amount of lower body injuries from texan road opponents.

The thing that I've noticed and has been bothering me is that right when the players hit the field for pregame "warmups," they begin their stretching exercises.