PDA

View Full Version : Burge:Texans defense needs to be ready for Falcons no-huddle offense

Wolf
12-03-2011, 11:57 AM
The Falcons no-huddle offense could be a game changer on Sunday as the Texans prepare for a key Week 13 inter-conference matchup.

The Texans have won five games in a row and their high pressure, smothering defense has been a key to those victories.

But four of the Texans wins during that streak were against young quarterbacks (Blaine Gabbert twice, Colt McCoy, and Josh Freeman) running less than sophisticated offenses.

That's about to change dramatically on Sunday.

Vikings head coach Leslie Frazier talked about it last week as he prepared his team to face the Falcons.

“Matt (Ryan) is running that offense,” Frazier said. “The way they control tempo in that no-huddle gives a lot of teams trouble. They seem to really be finding themselves as an offensive unit.” (ledbetter/ajc.com)

Running back Michael Turner said their no-huddle offense (which coincidentally they call 'Texas') isn't a two-minute style of no-huddle, rather a disciplined approach that allows Ryan to come up to the line, scan the defense and look for the best playcall possible.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Texans defense needs to be ready for Falcons no-huddle offense - Houston Houston Texans | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/texans-defense-needs-to-be-ready-for-falcons-no-huddle-offense#ixzz1fUmlvAuc

Playoffs
12-03-2011, 12:09 PM
This will be the key, imo.

Rey
12-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Most of the guys on defense have played against manning. J Jo has been good against him when they've met, danieal played him in the superbowl. Everyone else besides the rookies faced his no huddle twice a year.

Wade Phillips is an extremely experienced d coordinator.

I seriously don't think this will be that big of a deal. Well not as big of a deal as the actual play on the field.

CloakNNNdagger
12-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Most of the guys on defense have played against manning. J Jo has been good against him when they've met, danieal played him in the superbowl. Everyone else besides the rookies faced his no huddle twice a year.

Wade Phillips is an extremely experienced d coordinator.

I seriously don't think this will be that big of a deal. Well not as big of a deal as the actual play on the field.

I posted the fact that the Falcons tend to use the no-huddle quite often in another thread. When they do, Ryan seems to have more time to do his thing......esp, the longer ball. I would still be concerned about KJ's or JA's man up in the hurry up where consistent help may not come in time.

paycheck71
12-03-2011, 12:44 PM
I remember the Texans D struggling against the Saints once they went no huddle and spread em 4 and 5 wide. It'll be interesting to see how they do in this game.

80tothezone
12-03-2011, 12:48 PM
I remember the Texans D struggling against the Saints once they went no huddle and spread em 4 and 5 wide. It'll be interesting to see how they do in this game.

yeh that was when jojo went out .... hope. he stays healthy...

DocBar
12-03-2011, 06:19 PM
I'm looking for the link, but there's a report out that Phillip's D is very predictable and everyone knows where the rush is coming from. The difference is in execution. The no huddle could be a challenge, but with lighter players on the DL, it might backfire on Atlanta. These are 300-ish guys on our Dl, not 320+ guys. Asking your OL to stay in a 3 point stance for 15-25 seconds wears them out, too.

The Cush
12-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Constantly putting Ryan on his back will disrupt their hurry up

DocBar
12-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Constantly putting Ryan on his back will disrupt their hurry upVery true.

drs23
12-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Constantly putting Ryan on his back will disrupt their hurry up

Well hell, let's just do that then. Case closed. :)

Allstar
12-03-2011, 06:49 PM
From the accounts I've seen on the Falcon's board, their no-huddle is waaay better than when they do huddle.

DocBar
12-03-2011, 06:51 PM
From the account I've seen on the Falcon's board, there no-huddle is waaay better than when they do huddle.That's a matter of fact, not opinion. Atlanta has a very good no huddle offense.

ObsiWan
12-03-2011, 07:09 PM
I posted the fact that the Falcons tend to use the no-huddle quite often in another thread. When they do, Ryan seems to have more time to do his thing......esp, the longer ball. I would still be concerned about KJ's or JA's man up in the hurry up where consistent help may not come in time.

On AFC Playbook, they highlighted Atlanta's tendency to max protect and only send 2 or 3 guys out in the pass pattern - yes, they even kept one of the WRs in to block. So I'm not sure they'll go 4 or 5 wide like the Saints did. If they go max protect, we probably should go zone. It's too much to expect our back end to cover for 4-5 seconds.

Texan_Bill
12-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Wait, what????

ObsiWan
12-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Wait, what????

On Playbook they had a couple of examples where only two or three Altanta WRs went out in patterns; everyone else stayed in to block to give Julios Jones time to go long and Ryan enough time to hit him.

It was weird to me too. I've heard of keeping backs in or two TEs in to block, but this was strange. Yet, there it was. And it worked.

CloakNNNdagger
12-03-2011, 07:27 PM
On AFC Playbook, they highlighted Atlanta's tendency to max protect and only send 2 or 3 guys out in the pass pattern - yes, they even kept one of the WRs in to block. So I'm not sure they'll go 4 or 5 wide like the Saints did. If they go max protect, we probably should go zone. It's too much to expect our back end to cover for 4-5 seconds.

That's what I was getting at with Ryan getting more not less time to throw. Lots of fans believe that the hurry up offense is to get the play off unusually quickly. This is not usually the case. It's to screw up the D by not letting subs in to bring in plays or exchange thoughts with the coaches on plays or rest players or get better personnel for the situation in.

DocBar
12-03-2011, 07:50 PM
On Playbook they had a couple of examples where only two or three Altanta WRs went out in patterns; everyone else stayed in to block to give Julios Jones time to go long and Ryan enough time to hit him.

It was weird to me too. I've heard of keeping backs in or two TEs in to block, but this was strange. Yet, there it was. And it worked.

That's what I was getting at with Ryan getting more not less time to throw. Lots of fans believe that the hurry up offense is to get the play off unusually quickly. This is not usually the case. It's to screw up the D by not letting subs in to bring in plays or exchange thoughts with the coaches on plays or rest players or get better personnel for the situation in.Execution.execution,execution. Texan's D vs. Atlanta O should go to the Texans. For clarification, check put LSU's victory over Georgia tonite.
Stop the run and minimize the big pass plays(admittedly UGA dropped a couple of TD passes). That puts us on the same level as Atlanta. If we stop their run game, they become as 1 dimensional as we could be. The team that lines up and slobberknockers the other team will win. I'll take JJO over DBurnt any day.

paycheck71
12-03-2011, 09:26 PM
I'm looking for the link, but there's a report out that Phillip's D is very predictable and everyone knows where the rush is coming from. The difference is in execution. The no huddle could be a challenge, but with lighter players on the DL, it might backfire on Atlanta. These are 300-ish guys on our Dl, not 320+ guys. Asking your OL to stay in a 3 point stance for 15-25 seconds wears them out, too.

It was discussed in this thread.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87360

I mentioned there that the tacks (I think) were talking last year after they beat the cowboys that they knew everything the D was going to do. I don't have a link, but I remember it being talked about on Dallas radio.

playa465
12-04-2011, 11:57 AM

So true, the Falcons have 3 legitimate WRs (White, Jones, Douglas) and don't forget about Tony Gonzalez...Today the D needs to play well esp if our O doesn't do much; this will be key b/c our D could get tired.

TdotTexas2Step
12-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Credit to Wade, he's got that defense incredibly prepare for this Falcons offense. We don't look confused at all amidst all the fake audibles, formation shifts and hard counts.

They look poised and seem to know what's coming for the most part.

CretorFrigg
12-04-2011, 02:43 PM
Did the article take into account the fans? Man, Reliant sounds LOUD on TV. Makes it extremely difficult to run a no-huddle with that intensity!

Scooter
12-04-2011, 03:29 PM
their no huddle must recycle a lot of signs and calls, because demeco was at the line listening to and relaying all of the falcons' adjustments. i knock demeco for probably more than he deserves, but knowing the game and being a leader is something he's truly special at. he almost literally was inside their "huddle".

cretorfrigg nailed it too, the fans were awesome today - the cameras were shaking.

Rey
12-04-2011, 03:41 PM
We play manning. He's in our division.

This was never an issue IMO.

The falcons no huddle is a baby no huddle compared to what most of these guys have seen.

Phillips is one of the best d coordinators around.

If we were going to get beat it wasn't going to be because of their no huddle.