PDA

View Full Version : Playcalling Strategy With Yates

TimeKiller
12-02-2011, 07:45 AM
I know I'll be entirely more disappointed with turtle play than if Yates just makes mistakes. You don't hit the moon if you don't shoot. Inexperience isn't the same thing as suck. What do you do?

I'm like this: if they think stacking the box is going to stop Foster....they're right. Because every time a safety creeps up I'm going to tell the kid to huck it to AJ over their heads! If they'll play straight up, let the ground game do the dirty work and hide the rookie a little bit. I am NOT going to let them disrespect the whole team because of one young, inexperienced player.

JVL713
12-02-2011, 08:29 AM
Atlanta's rush defense is #2 in the league, allowing under 85 yards per game. This alone isn't too scary, as Arian and Tate were able to run effectively against the Steeler's D...but if we play as conservatively as we did in the second half of the Jacksonville game it could get ugly.

We have a great defense behind us, but if we go three and out over and over like we did in the J'ville game, we can't count on dropped passes/horrible throws from Atlanta like we could agains Jax.

The team and coaching staff has expressed their faith in Yates all week, and Kubes even said he was so conservative with TJ more because of the backup situation than lack of faith. You have to let the kid throw. Not necessarily as much as Schaub would throw, we will definitely be a run first team from here on out, but we can't let Atlanta stack the box and let them go unpunished. Throwing to Andre in single coverage is more than doable, even for a rookie QB.

We have all the weapons anyone could ask for...a great run game, Arian's ability to catch and run, Owen Daniels, Dressen, James Casey, and of course...Mister Alexander(didn't see him on the injury report, hope he's ok). We don't have to do anything too fancy, but we can't be as one sided as we were against Jacksonville.

HuttoKarl
12-02-2011, 08:48 AM
Seriously...put in two RB's for extra protection and air that shiz out. Hit Jacoby, hit AJ, hit Walter, hit OD...make the opposition respect the pass and then pound them silly.

Marcus
12-02-2011, 09:11 AM
What about just trusting Kubiak?

I know that's a novel concept, but hey ......

Trail.Blazr
12-02-2011, 09:11 AM
It's a double edged sword.

I feel like if Atlanta's weakness is in their secondary, that's what you have to focus your game plan on. Take what the defense gives you, and if Atlanta stacks the box, it seems the smart choice is to take advantage of their secondary situation.

On the other hand....

You have a rookie QB making his first start against a talented NFL team. Aside from the last series in the first half of the Jags game last week, TJ's game experience in the NFL is against 2nd/3rd stringers in a shortened pre-season. I can see an argument to ease him into the position by relying heavily on what is still arguably one of the better run games in the NFL for the last year and a half.

My guess is that Kubiak will come out somewhat conservative with what is asked of TJ to at least see if he can get a rhythm and open it up as the game goes along as needed, which will likely be dictated mostly by score, line play, special teams succes/feild position.

I expect that Kube's will be content to have a close game, in which we have a chance to win at the end. I don't anticipate a game plan with the expectation of attempting to blow out the opponent, as it would likely put too much of a high-level expectation on TJ.

Rey
12-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Other.

Scale the passing gameplan back some, but give him some opprotunites to throw the ball. Lean heavily on Foster and Tate.

TimeKiller
12-02-2011, 09:49 AM

Ok. You're right. Let's not talk about the biggest key to this game at all.

Big Lou
12-02-2011, 09:53 AM
I say run the 15 play script on a Schaub-Lite type approach. Then base the rest of the game what Yates does.

I think there should be a couple of bombs. The beauty on the naked boot leg is you get some chances to throw some long passes, but you have to be able to run the ball to set it up, so maybe try one or two early.

beerlover
12-02-2011, 10:02 AM
I say run the 15 play script on a Schaub-Lite type approach. Then base the rest of the game what Yates does.

I think there should be a couple of bombs. The beauty on the naked boot leg is you get some chances to throw some long passes, but you have to be able to run the ball to set it up, so maybe try one or two early.

If Yates can hurt them over the top early, then he can settle back in the running game & manage the game more easily. Secondary is Atlanta Falcons weakness.

Texcore
12-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Obviously we will lean on the strength of our offense, the running game. And every now and then we will dial up some plays to throw it down field. I just don't want to see him force something that is not there, but still be aggressive within himself and the play that is call.

We should take note however, he is a rookie. So a turn over or two will not suprise me. But if he can make some plays down the field and lean on this running game we should win this game.

Texan_Bill
12-02-2011, 10:09 AM
First offensive play:

Play action pass looking for Dre deep. Overthrow it if you must but go deep. Get in Atlanta's head early. Back them off the line of scrimmage.

brad77
12-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Obviously we will lean on the strength of our offense, the running game. And every now and then we will dial up some plays to throw it down field. I just don't want to see him force something that is not there, but still be aggressive within himself and the play that is call.

We should take note however, he is a rookie. So a turn over or two will not suprise me. But if he can make some plays down the field and lean on this running game we should win this game.

everyone knows we can run the ball....what I don't want to see is constantly waiting till 3rd down to throw the ball....two runs and a pass is way to predictable. We need to mix it up and let the kid air it out on 1st and second down so that the Atlanta D does not stack the box and play the run...we hve to show them we are willing to throw the ball down field.

Thorn
12-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Even Germany is ordering T.J Yates jerseys. :lol:

drunkcookie
12-02-2011, 10:53 AM
The beauty on the naked boot leg is you get some chances to throw some long passes, but you have to be able to run the ball to set it up.

There's some truth to that, but IMO it doesn't apply to the Texans, esspecially this late in the year..

If you're the Colts, if you could somehow get the run game going the naked play-action boot would work better... But with the Texans, their running game has been established for over a year and a half now, and earns respect from the opposing defense in the film-room..

A great example was against Baltimore... Minus one really good run from Tate (the fumble run that Brown recovered for a TD), the Texans hadn't been running the ball very well when Jacoby beat Ed Reed to the endzone for a deep TD on a play-action boot. Reed was on top of the box, bit on the run a step or two and Jacoby abandoned his "I'm gunna come over here to block you" route to go deep... Reed was late...

Sent from my ryePhone 12G using Tapakeg

EllisUnit
12-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Kubiak needs to let the boy sling it, so we can see what we've got. I'd rather find out before the pla-_offs, and so he can get a few growing pains out of the way.

NCTexan
12-02-2011, 11:23 AM
First offensive play:

Play action pass looking for Dre deep. Overthrow it if you must but go deep. Get in Atlanta's head early. Back them off the line of scrimmage.

This is exactly what I hope they let him do. I watched Yates last year in college and he can get it down there pretty accurately, especially if they've been working with him on being a bit more consistent than he was in college.

thunderkyss
12-02-2011, 11:26 AM
I know I'll be entirely more disappointed with turtle play than if Yates just makes mistakes. You don't hit the moon if you don't shoot. Inexperience isn't the same thing as suck. What do you do?

I honestly don't think the game plan will be any different than the plan we went into Jacksonville with. We're going to run the ball & take a few chances. We scored 17 points against the #5 defense in the league with Leinart, I don't think we'll see much drop off with Yates.

That game plan wasn't much different than the one that won in Cleveland, Tennessee, at Jacksonville, or home against Tampa Bay.

He'll probably be coached to take the checkdowns unless the big play is there & I don't have a problem with that.

Hopefully he'll gain some confidence as the game goes on & by the second half of the Cincy game take more chances. But if that beautiful touch pass to Andre in the second half of the Jags game is any indication, he might already have the confidence needed.

spurstexanstros
12-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Kubiak needs to let the boy sling it, so we can see what we've got. I'd rather find out before the pla-_offs, and so he can get a few growing pains out of the way.

????? your tagline about newbies with 2010 join date who really cares and question is why havent you joined the Houston Texan Fan club of San Antonio on facebook that I started years ago. (please join we are trying to put together bus trip and we need more likes)

I really dont care about the newbies, I always knew they were there, especially in SA. I am enjoying being proven right.

Vinny
12-02-2011, 11:31 AM

we don't have any choice, but in the mean time we can discuss this on what's called a message board. yay teem! :fans:

On a serious note, I think if Kubiak only calls plays that work, Yates will be fine.

:spin:

Hervoyel
12-02-2011, 11:32 AM
I really think the only realistic choice in that poll was "We're gonna be the smartest guys in the room and toss it around the yard with a no name rookie!"

Think about everything you've ever learned about Kubiak. Take a moment, let it all sink in. Ready?

Now answer me honestly, has this man ever passed up a chance to be the smartest guy in the room? Ever?

Yates is going to throw for over 300 yards Sunday. Book it.

thunderkyss
12-02-2011, 11:37 AM

totally against this line of thinking. I'd rather win this game & not know what we have in Yates, than try to figure out if he can do the things he shouldn't be having to do now.... making plays & what not.

This game & Cincy, do what it takes to win. When we play Carolina, sling it. Let it all hang out. Clinch the division by any means necessary & play around in the Tennessee game.

IDEXAN
12-02-2011, 11:38 AM
I honestly don't think the game plan will be any different than the plan we went into Jacksonville with. We're going to run the ball & take a few chances. We scored 17 points against the #5 defense in the league with Leinart, I don't think we'll see much drop off with Yates.

That game plan wasn't much different than the one that won in Cleveland, Tennessee, at Jacksonville, or home against Tampa Bay.

ATL has an offense that is far better than any of those teams have which will require more production by our offense to keep up with ATL.

michaelm
12-02-2011, 11:39 AM
I really think the only realistic choice in that poll was "We're gonna be the smartest guys in the room and toss it around the yard with a no name rookie!"

Think about everything you've ever learned about Kubiak. Take a moment, let it all sink in. Ready?

Now answer me honestly, has this man ever passed up a chance to be the smartest guy in the room? Ever?

Yates is going to throw for over 300 yards Sunday. Book it.

Y'all go back and re-read the part where Herv says "book it", and look at his avatar immediately after those words go through your heads.

Texan_Bill
12-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Y'all go back and re-read the part where Herv says "book it", and look at his avatar immediately after those words go through your heads.

We need to "avoid Mayhem, like him"!

thunderkyss
12-02-2011, 11:42 AM
ATL has an offense that is far better than any of those teams have which will require more production by our offense to keep up with ATL.

Jacksonville has the #5 defense in the league, better than Atlanta's. We scored 17 points in the first half with a conservative game-manager game plan. That's 34 points.

You're right, a lot of that is Jacksonville's offense not being able to stay on the field.

However, I can see us scoring in the mid 20s against the Falcons. If the defense can hold them to 17 (totally doable) we're good.

Vinny
12-02-2011, 11:42 AM
ATL has an offense that is far better than any of those teams have which will require more production by our offense to keep up with ATL.Ryan has the ability to find his second and third option even though he gets the ball out quickly. It's gonna be a great matchup on that side of the ball. Offensively I think we'll win as long as we don't give them easy points or give them too many short fields. I think we will punt the ball more this week than in the last few weeks and I expect to see the defense on the field more. Hopefully our man coverage can hold up away from JJ.

EllisUnit
12-02-2011, 11:47 AM
????? your tagline about newbies with 2010 join date who really cares and question is why havent you joined the Houston Texan Fan club of San Antonio on facebook that I started years ago. (please join we are trying to put together bus trip and we need more likes)

I really dont care about the newbies, I always knew they were there, especially in SA. I am enjoying being proven right.

I was back on the old board before they changed it. Then was on HT.com up until I joined here, I know a lot of guys on here from back in 02-03 from the old boards, so spare me the lecture.

Texan_Bill
12-02-2011, 11:51 AM

I was back on the old board before they changed it. Then was on HT.com up until I joined here, I know a lot of guys on here from back in 02-03 from the old boards, so spare me the lecture.

San Antonio on San Antonio violence.............

I like it! :slapfight:

Hervoyel
12-02-2011, 11:52 AM

:) "You're Good!"

Texan_Bill
12-02-2011, 11:55 AM
:) "You're Good!"

Is that the Mayhem guy, or is it O'Reilly being released from "Oz"?

spurstexanstros
12-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Sorry bro...wasnt lecturing just pointing that out..seemed hypocritical and if you were there on original board must have been a different name. Like I was saying who cares... about newbs and if you have been reading or commenting on my numerous San Antonio Texans fans threads on both boards...or in campaign to get them back on radio in SA...you would have seen me beg everyone on here to get more fans to this board. Every Texan fan I meet here in SA i point to this board. I am happy to see them all. Welcome to the board if you new...hit me up and ill tell you how to join SA fan club or where we watch games n stuff. I just think we should embrace the newbs.

I used to be like you questioning noobs or trolls that came here after wins but after years of being sitting by myself (or with 3 other Texan fans that I met on here) at BWW cause Texans got jerked off air. It was damn refreshing to sit in a BWW with 50 other Texans fans Bring on the noobs

San Antonio on San Antonio violence.............

I like it! :slapfight:

thats not what you really like Bill, I can get dressed up in BA's mowing attire and turn on the hose and make it more interesting.

TdotTexas2Step
12-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Like others here, I'd love to see Yates sling it down the field this Sunday. But I'm pretty sure Atlanta is ready for this. Just because they stack the box, it doesn't mean Yates will have an easy time throwing the ball. He's still going to have make reads, and he's still going to have to grow up quickly.

I think Kubiak will go around 70-30 run pass instead of 90-10 in that second half of the Jags game. I think it's better to think long term. Losing to Atlanta is a realistic scenario. And if we do end up losing, I'd rather have Yates come out of this game with confidence instead of throwing a few picks and getting blown out.

Going about 70-30 run pass will allow us to control the clock, minimize the amount of possible mistakes, yet allow Yates get comfortable with letting the ball fly in this system.

5th round rookie. No training camp. Third String. Practice Squad. Hasn't been active since last week.

There are a lot of things going against Yates, we have to put him in a position to succeed. Moving forward, we can increase his responsibilities.

Hardcore Texan
12-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Yates to Andre = Fitzpatrick to Lee Evans

It's about time we are on the better end of this equation

:smooch:

Hervoyel
12-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Is that the Mayhem guy, or is it O'Reilly being released from "Oz"?

Mayhem guy. If we win then I'm going back "Bueno Cat". I miss him.

Like others here, I'd love to see Yates sling it down the field this Sunday. But I'm pretty sure Atlanta is ready for this. Just because they stack the box, it doesn't mean Yates will have an easy time throwing the ball. He's still going to have make reads, and he's still going to have to grow up quickly.

I think Kubiak will go around 70-30 run pass instead of 90-10 in that second half of the Jags game. I think it's better to think long term. Losing to Atlanta is a realistic scenario. And if we do end up losing, I'd rather have Yates come out of this game with confidence instead of throwing a few picks and getting blown out.

Going about 70-30 run pass will allow us to control the clock, minimize the amount of possible mistakes, yet allow Yates get comfortable with letting the ball fly in this system.

5th round rookie. No training camp. Third String. Practice Squad. Hasn't been active since last week.

There are a lot of things going against Yates, we have to put him in a position to succeed. Moving forward, we can increase his responsibilities.

I think success will lead to more leash (blinding flash of the obvious). Until we know what TJ can handle we can't know how much Kubiak will put on him.

ziggy29
12-02-2011, 01:44 PM
I think success will lead to more leash (blinding flash of the obvious). Until we know what TJ can handle we can't know how much Kubiak will put on him.

I don't want him to make a lot of mistakes or to be given much more than he can handle, obviously, but I do think he needs to be given enough "leash" to make mistakes. If he's going to be the guy who leads the team for the rest of the season, we have to discover how he bounces back from adversity.

Corrosion
12-02-2011, 03:05 PM
If Im calling the plays , Im not changing a thing. Im gonna do with Yates what we did with Schaub. Play action , some bootleg stuff and pound the ball on the ground when the defense is favorable.

The concept nor the calls change.

Texanmike02
12-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Here is my opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

We have Atlanta and Cincy the next two games. Yates is young with no experience. These next to games were probably a split for us before we lost Schaub anyway. Let the kid throw. Let him catch up to the speed of the game. The worst that happens is he gets tossed around and hurt and we lose 1 extra game. The best that happens is he gets it, finds his place and gains some experience against two very good defenses. Playing against Indy/Carolina/Tenn won't be as bad after these two. You never know, he might get some confidence rolling into the playoffs.

Let the man throw. We're living or dying based on his arm anyways. Have him make all of the throws. Send the message to teams around the league that we will not be shy. I don't see the risk being that big honestly. The worst that happens is that he confirms what they all assume. In the best case he lights it on fire and puts the fear back into our passing game. What a blessing that would be....

Mike

Dutchrudder
12-02-2011, 03:45 PM
It's tough to pass up an option that says "Yosemite Sam"

EllisUnit
12-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Sorry bro...wasnt lecturing just pointing that out..seemed hypocritical and if you were there on original board must have been a different name. Like I was saying who cares... about newbs and if you have been reading or commenting on my numerous San Antonio Texans fans threads on both boards...or in campaign to get them back on radio in SA...you would have seen me beg everyone on here to get more fans to this board. Every Texan fan I meet here in SA i point to this board. I am happy to see them all. Welcome to the board if you new...hit me up and ill tell you how to join SA fan club or where we watch games n stuff. I just think we should embrace the newbs.

I used to be like you questioning noobs or trolls that came here after wins but after years of being sitting by myself (or with 3 other Texan fans that I met on here) at BWW cause Texans got jerked off air. It was damn refreshing to sit in a BWW with 50 other Texans fans Bring on the noobs

thats not what you really like Bill, I can get dressed up in BA's mowing attire and turn on the hose and make it more interesting.

The old old one i was Texansfan4Life and then Oilfieldmafia, and then ellis unit on HT.com, and now ellisunit unit again

HOU-TEX
12-02-2011, 04:05 PM
1st down: 4 verticals
2nd down: 4 verticals
3rd down: 4 verticals
4th down:4 verticals

drs23
12-02-2011, 05:30 PM
I went option 3 simply because that's what Kubes has said since TJ has become the starter. He said "we'll open up the playbook". If the Head Coach ain't scaird then neither am I.

Broken record here: TJ Yates is gonna surprise alot of folks.

thunderkyss
12-02-2011, 05:32 PM
It's tough to pass up an option that says "Yosemite Sam"

I couldn't.

:specnatz:

1st down: 4 verticals
2nd down: 4 verticals
3rd down: 4 verticals
4th down:4 verticals

As long as it is off of play action..... maybe throw in a bootleg on third down....

drs23
12-02-2011, 06:06 PM
If Im calling the plays , Im not changing a thing. Im gonna do with Yates what we did with Schaub. Play action , some bootleg stuff and pound the ball on the ground when the defense is favorable.

The concept nor the calls change.

Sounds like you've been in the HC's pocket. That's exactly what he's been saying since jumpstreet.

Corrosion
12-02-2011, 06:40 PM
Sounds like you've been in the HC's pocket. That's exactly what he's been saying since jumpstreet.

Funny you say that .... :kitten:

ObsiWan
12-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Run the damned ball.
Dink & dunk.
Quick slants and outs
An occasional skinny post to OD in the middle of the field.
Then run some more... Why the F abandon the strength of this year's offense - Foster & Tate - out of morbid curiousity.

I want nice, loooooong, 10-minute drives like that 20-play mother we served up to Pittsburgh on our first drive of that game. Out of those 20 plays we only passed 7 times - the longest picked up about 18 yds.

Whatever it takes to keep Atlanta's offense on the sidelines and let our defense rest.

I find it tough to believe - despite where they're ranked - that Altanta's defense is better against the run than Pittsburgh's was. At the moment ATL allows 83.5 yds/game and Pittsburgh allows 96.3. ATL has allowed 7 rushing TDs, Pittsburgh allowed 6. Don't sound like that big of a difference to me. Besides, who has ATL played that could run the ball like we can??

Now, don't get it twisted, I'm not saying put handcuffs on T.J. Just that there's no reason to abandon our strength "to see what the kid can do". If the running game works, there will be sufficient opportunities to catch them creeping up into the box and let the kid roll out and uncork a bomb on their a--es.
:fans:

Corrosion
12-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Why fix what aint broke ....

DocBar
12-02-2011, 07:26 PM
This might be a repeat since I didn't read all the posts. but I wouldn't mind seeing an I formation with Casey motioning out and trying to hit him with a pass. You aren't going to loosen up Atlanta's run D by going deep. TE's and RB's out of the backfield are the answer for getting LB's and safeties looking elsewhere. Throw it deep for Yates' confidence, not to make Atlanta respect the passing game.
I expect to see Kubiak use the full gamut of plays and limit Yates' ability to audible. Would anyone else like to see the Texans turn the table and send in 2 plays at a time and go with a hurry up-ish offense? That would completely screw up Atlanta. I think Yates has the ability to handle that.

DocBar
12-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Run the damned ball.
Dink & dunk.
Quick slants and outs
An occasional skinny post to OD in the middle of the field.
Then run some more... Why the F abandon the strength of this year's offense - Foster & Tate - out of morbid curiousity.

I want nice, loooooong, 10-minute drives like that 20-play mother we served up to Pittsburgh on our first drive of that game. Out of those 20 plays we only passed 7 times - the longest picked up about 18 yds.

Whatever it takes to keep Atlanta's offense on the sidelines and let our defense rest.

I find it tough to believe - despite where they're ranked - that Altanta's defense is better against the run than Pittsburgh's was. At the moment ATL allows 83.5 yds/game and Pittsburgh allows 96.3. ATL has allowed 7 rushing TDs, Pittsburgh allowed 6. Don't sound like that big of a difference to me. Besides, who has ATL played that could run the ball like we can??

Now, don't get it twisted, I'm not saying put handcuffs on T.J. Just that there's no reason to abandon our strength "to see what the kid can do". If the running game works, there will be sufficient opportunities to catch them creeping up into the box and let the kid roll out and uncork a bomb on their a--es.
:fans:The Texans haven't run the ball well against teams with good run D's, dedicated to stopping it. Our offense is most easily stopped this way. Just watch the videos. Instead of going all predictable, like you suggest, Send our backs out of the backfield for passes. That will freeze them just a bit, if Yates can effectively fake the handoff like Schaub does.

If we can hit our TE's and RB's out of the bacjfield, the run game will open up and our offense will click like crazy. Get predictable, and we lose this game.

The rest of the season will seal Kubiaks fate, as on OC and QB guru more than anything else. If he succeeds and the Texans win, he's gold. If not, he's an imposter.

LikeMike
12-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Pass the ball to keep the defense honest or to exploit single coverage. Only play to Yates strengths. Don`t make him think too much. Even with Schaub we were rarely passing more than 20-25 times a game. IŽd be perfectly fine with 15-25 throws - even if most of them are screens, slants and checkdowns.

Our defense has to play big - and our running game has to show up. Even if Yates is the next Tom Brady, let him slowly grow into his new role.

But I`d be perfectly fine with a PA bootleg bomb on the first play.

thunderkyss
12-02-2011, 08:15 PM

There were a few penalties in that drive as well. I think we traveled a little over 100 yards to pick up 80.

Which is even more impressive if you think about it.

I'm thinking the very first play of the game should be to fake the WR screen (AJ), then hit a second receiver (JJ) down field.

ObsiWan
12-02-2011, 10:58 PM
The Texans haven't run the ball well against teams with good run D's, dedicated to stopping it. Our offense is most easily stopped this way. Just watch the videos. Instead of going all predictable, like you suggest, Send our backs out of the backfield for passes. That will freeze them just a bit, if Yates can effectively fake the handoff like Schaub does.

If we can hit our TE's and RB's out of the bacjfield, the run game will open up and our offense will click like crazy. Get predictable, and we lose this game.

The rest of the season will seal Kubiaks fate, as on OC and QB guru more than anything else. If he succeeds and the Texans win, he's gold. If not, he's an imposter.

The point of my post was to do keep doing what we do best and make them stop it rather than abandon it out of hand. If they're as good against our running game as their defensive stats suggest, then adjust and go pass-first instead of run-first. But if we can stay "on schedule" with the running game (2nd & 6, 3 & short, etc) then the running game is working and that will make the "rollout surprise" all the more effective.

I guess my attitude is that good teams, real playoff teams make you stop their strengths. Think about it this way... you KNOW Brady is going to pass... you KNOW Rodgers is going to pass... back in the day you KNEW Vince Lombardi was going to run that Packer sweep right down your gullet but they were so good at it you couldn't do a damned thing about it. So is Brady. So is Rodgers. I think, in most cases, our stretch running game is that good. You might stop us this down or even this series, but we'll keep coming and eventually you will break.

Pass the ball to keep the defense honest or to exploit single coverage. Only play to Yates strengths. Don`t make him think too much. Even with Schaub we were rarely passing more than 20-25 times a game. IŽd be perfectly fine with 15-25 throws - even if most of them are screens, slants and checkdowns.

Our defense has to play big - and our running game has to show up. Even if Yates is the next Tom Brady, let him slowly grow into his new role.

But I`d be perfectly fine with a PA bootleg bomb on the first play.
^^^^
Yeah... this.

There were a few penalties in that drive as well. I think we traveled a little over 100 yards to pick up 80.

Which is even more impressive if you think about it.

I'm thinking the very first play of the game should be to fake the WR screen (AJ), then hit a second receiver (JJ) down field.
I think the WR (or TE) screen should be a staple - especially if they're playing 8-9 yds off of AJ (or JJ or KW) instead of tight/bump coverage.

Texaninlild
12-03-2011, 09:43 AM
We are most effective when we mix up the passing game. Too many passes at or behind the line of scrimmage does nothing to move those 9 out of the box.

I want to see OD in crossing routes. AJ extending the field at 10+ yards along the sidelines. I would like to see us utilize Casey out of the backfield to keep Atlanta guessing. Then pound the rock. We cannot be predictable because that will handicap Yates and the offense. We have too many weapons not to use them. Use the kids strong arm a little.

EllisUnit
12-03-2011, 10:28 AM
i dont see some people want to be so conservative with him, he either sinks our he swims. i dont want to limp our way into the play-offs and never give him a chance to throw the ball and make some plays, cause when it is win our go home we will need him. So Lets show him we have confidence in him, Everyone around him will help him out, and help him learn.

Rey
12-03-2011, 10:56 AM
i dont see some people want to be so conservative with him, he either sinks our he swims. i dont want to limp our way into the play-offs and never give him a chance to throw the ball and make some plays, cause when it is win our go home we will need him. So Lets show him we have confidence in him, Everyone around him will help him out, and help him learn.

We have a top ranked defense. It's not like we'd have to face a bunch of offensive juggernauts in the play offs. The patriots and who else?

If the goal is to win games then that is what you should try to do. We don't even have our division locked up really.

That said, I expect kubiak to come out passing.

EllisUnit
12-03-2011, 11:26 AM
We have a top ranked defense. It's not like we'd have to face a bunch of offensive juggernauts in the play offs. The patriots and who else?

If the goal is to win games then that is what you should try to do. We don't even have our division locked up really.

That said, I expect kubiak to come out passing.

I understand that but we need to know he can keep us in games if we ever do get in a shoot out.

Rey
12-03-2011, 11:44 AM
I understand that but we need to know he can keep us in games if we ever do get in a shoot out.

I don't understand what you mean here.

I dont need to know that. Even if he had success passing against the falcons that doesn't mean he'd be able to keep us alive in a shootout. We still wouldn't "know".

The main goal is to win games. Each game is different.

I personally don't need to see anything other than what it'd take for us to win this game. If it calls for a lot of throwing, so be it. If he doesn't have to throw much I don't see why we'd force that issue when we don't even do that with shammy.

EllisUnit
12-03-2011, 11:53 AM
I don't understand what you mean here.

I dont need to know that. Even if he had success passing against the falcons that doesn't mean he'd be able to keep us alive in a shootout. We still wouldn't "know".

The main goal is to win games. Each game is different.

I personally don't need to see anything other than what it'd take for us to win this game. If it calls for a lot of throwing, so be it. If he doesn't have to throw much I don't see why we'd force that issue when we don't even do that with shammy.

Our defense has played 1 good offense, the saints and we gave up 41 points, the steelers were very vunerable when we faced them, our D is ranked #1 surem but the competition will be much greater when we get into the play-offs.

Rey
12-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Our defense has played 1 good offense, the saints and we gave up 41 points, the steelers were very vunerable when we faced them, our D is ranked #1 surem but the competition will be much greater when we get into the play-offs.

That is true, but do you think that it's possible that our d has improved since then?

Also, if I recall correctly we forced three turnovers that game and were playing pretty well had it not been for a couple bad moments.

I honestly can't remember, but did the saints have a big special teams play too?

If the falcons balloon the score, by all means air it out.

But if the game is close and we have a chance to win I don't see why we would have Yates throwing the ball all over the place unless the running game just isn't working.

I'm not saying don't throw the ball. I'm saying let the game itself and how it plays out dictate that. We have a good running attack. If it's working kub would be crazy to stray away from that just to test out Yates for situations he may or may not be needed for in the play offs.

infantrycak
12-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Even with Schaub we were rarely passing more than 20-25 times a game.

I guess if you define rarely as a majority of the time. Schaub passed more than 25 times 5 of 9.5 games with two other games being 24 and 23. Let's not revise history. Schaub was on pace for another 4000 yard season (actually just under 4200 yards).

EllisUnit
12-03-2011, 01:33 PM
That is true, but do you think that it's possible that our d has improved since then?

Also, if I recall correctly we forced three turnovers that game and were playing pretty well had it not been for a couple bad moments.

I honestly can't remember, but did the saints have a big special teams play too?

If the falcons balloon the score, by all means air it out.

But if the game is close and we have a chance to win I don't see why we would have Yates throwing the ball all over the place unless the running game just isn't working.

I'm not saying don't throw the ball. I'm saying let the game itself and how it plays out dictate that. We have a good running attack. If it's working kub would be crazy to stray away from that just to test out Yates for situations he may or may not be needed for in the play offs.

i just want to see us run our usual offense. I dont want to see a run on 1st and 2nd and throw on 3rd. Lets do what we've been doing.

thunderkyss
12-03-2011, 03:33 PM
i just want to see us run our usual offense. I dont want to see a run on 1st and 2nd and throw on 3rd. Lets do what we've been doing.

I agree with this. Our usual offense being the offense we used vs Jacksonville last week. Tampa Bay the week before, Cleveland, Jacksonville, & Tennessee before that. Running the ball early & often, then taking our shots in the passing game.

Vs. Cleveland (I think) we came out with three straight passes ,which were very successful, then went back to our ground game. I think they had the 2nd ranked pass defense & Kuiak's offensive staff thought they were going to load the box to stop the run.

I do not think we're going to limit TJ's passing attempts because he is a rookie. We'll take our opportunities as they present themselves. This game will not be a showcase of TJ Yates. This game is about the Houston Texans.

DocBar
12-03-2011, 05:11 PM
The point of my post was to do keep doing what we do best and make them stop it rather than abandon it out of hand. If they're as good against our running game as their defensive stats suggest, then adjust and go pass-first instead of run-first. But if we can stay "on schedule" with the running game (2nd & 6, 3 & short, etc) then the running game is working and that will make the "rollout surprise" all the more effective.

I guess my attitude is that good teams, real playoff teams make you stop their strengths. Think about it this way... you KNOW Brady is going to pass... you KNOW Rodgers is going to pass... back in the day you KNEW Vince Lombardi was going to run that Packer sweep right down your gullet but they were so good at it you couldn't do a damned thing about it. So is Brady. So is Rodgers. I think, in most cases, our stretch running game is that good. You might stop us this down or even this series, but we'll keep coming and eventually you will break.

^^^^
Yeah... this.

I think the WR (or TE) screen should be a staple - especially if they're playing 8-9 yds off of AJ (or JJ or KW) instead of tight/bump coverage.My point being that teams have been successful stopping us when they absolutely know we're going to run the ball. Oakland, Baltimore and Jax (both games) did a very good job of slowing down our running game. We lost 2 of those games and were lucky Jax's offense sucks so bad.
I don't think I suggested anything out of the ordinary as far as play call goes.
I just think the strength of our offense is a balanced attack with the legitimate threat of big plays down the field. Keeping defenses off balance is what we do best, not lining up and just running the ball.
I like the idea of WR & TE screens, but that won't do as much to loosen up their LB's as much as TE's and RB's out of the backfield and going over the middle. The intermediate game is our bread and butter, say 7-15 yds downfield. If we just throw some WR or TE screens at them, they simply tighten up the coverage with no real threat down the field.
I guess what I'm saying is that everyone on the team needs to play well, including Yates. He can't be spoon fed too much. I fully expect Kubiak to play to Yate's strengths and I also expect Yates to play well. What I was describing earlier is our normal offense. All those long, boring 10 minute drives succeed because teams must guard against our very legitimate passing game while trying to contain our dominant running game. Neither one is overly effective without the other.

mussop
12-04-2011, 07:34 AM
The one thing that always disappoints me about Kubiak gameplanning is that he doesn't mix things up enough to throw the defense off. Every once in a while go no huddle or line up quick on say third and short situations and try and draw the d off sides or run a set quick play. I would love to see us line up in a pro set with Tate and Foster in the backfield. Give the d some new looks and make them think a little so they can't load the box up an pin their ears back.

Hopefully he will have Yates throw the ball deep a couple of times early to make sure Atlanta stays honest. OD needs to be a big part of the game plan as well.