PDA

View Full Version : Duane Brown

CloakNNNdagger
12-01-2011, 10:42 PM
ProFootbalFocus ProFootballFocus.com
The last full-time starting OT yet to allow a sack? Houston's @DuaneBrown76 - 356 pass-blocking snaps, 0 sacks allowed.
8 hours ago

SteveSlaton20
12-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Love him. He deserves to go to the Pro Bowl.

TexansFanatic
12-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Holy crap! That's huge.

Playoffs
12-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Redrafting the 2008 NFL Draft -- Duane Brown would be the 3rd OLT taken behind Long & Clady instead of the 6th.

beerlover
12-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Redrafting the 2008 NFL Draft -- Duane Brown would be the 3rd OLT taken behind Long & Clady instead of the 6th.

the numbers suggest he should have been selected 1st.

Big Lou
12-01-2011, 11:23 PM
ProFootbalFocus ProFootballFocus.com

CND you gave me a heart attack!!! I see your name and D. Brown and I thought you were discussing an injury!!!!!!

Great info though!!!

Texn4life
12-01-2011, 11:24 PM
I remember some people that wanted us to draft Bulaga last year. Those people are mighty quiet these days.

GlassHalfFull
12-01-2011, 11:25 PM
CND you gave me a heart attack!!! I see your name and D. Brown and I thought you were discussing an injury!!!!!!

Great info though!!!

I 2nd that motion. CND needs to make his title clear of injury. Something like

Duane Brown (is ok, don't panic)

buddyboy
12-01-2011, 11:25 PM
I remember when we drafted him. People were jumping off bridges

Rey
12-01-2011, 11:32 PM
I remember when we drafted him. People were jumping off bridges

We still screwed up taking him because we could've gotten him much lower.

:fingergun:

ObsiWan
12-01-2011, 11:46 PM

Great info though!!!

hahahahahaha
c'mon folks...
he's Dr. J, not Doctor Doom

By the way, Doc, would you mind posting a link to the rest of that article...?

Naiirb
12-01-2011, 11:47 PM
He hasn't given up a sack yet, but on the play where Leinart got injured Mincey blew right past Brown. :kitten:

ObsiWan
12-01-2011, 11:59 PM
We still screwed up taking him because we could've gotten him much lower.

:fingergun:
I seem to recall a run on tackles in that draft.
Starting with Jake Long at #1 overall, there were 8 OTs taken in that first round.

Plus we struck a deal to trade down and pick up an second 3rd (Slaton) and a 6th (D. Barber). I wouldn't have passed on that deal just to save a buck or two. Especially since we didn't have a 2nd rd pick (Schaub deal).

Screwed up...? I guess everyone is entitled to their viewpoint....

ObsiWan
12-02-2011, 12:00 AM
He hasn't given up a sack yet, but on the play where Leinart got injured Mincey blew right past Brown. :kitten:

am I the only one thinking that was kind of a late hit?

Naiirb
12-02-2011, 12:10 AM

Nope i do too and it looked a bit dirty to me. Against the Titans Matt Ryan got driven to the ground after he threw the ball but he got a "roughing the passer, landing with full body weight" penalty call, which is almost exactly what Mincey did to Leinart. You can see it at 1:53 of this video http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/09000d5d824672b2/Sound-FX-Matt-Ryan

Malloy
12-02-2011, 01:58 AM

There were a couple of rough hits after the throw before he went down for good. Not very good officiating...

bckey
12-02-2011, 02:48 AM
Back then I thought the Texans reached. What a steal now!

srrono
12-02-2011, 04:29 AM

i am pretty sure that was some sort of screen play.

thunderkyss
12-02-2011, 06:51 AM

Other than the fact that Matt had the ball in his hands as the DE wrapped his arms around him......

Maybe you could consider it a late hit.

Roughing the passer would be an easier argument to make, I think.

nero THE zero
12-02-2011, 08:06 AM

What a reach.

That whole episode has colored my opinion of John Harris. I haven't been able to respect him since it.

TejasTom
12-02-2011, 08:48 AM
i am pretty sure that was some sort of screen play.

It was a tailback screen to the opposite side.

Usually the backside guard and tackle pass block, the play side guard and tackle release, but we don't know what protection was called.

My original impression was that Brown thought it was coming to his side and released instead of blocking.

HuttoKarl
12-02-2011, 08:54 AM
I remember on that draft day when the OT's were flying off the board, knowing we totally needed one bad...I thumbed through my sporting news and typed on the HT.com boards "How about trading down and grabbing Duane Brown?"

Then it happened and I felt like a genius.

Then the backlash of "ZOMG!!!! Anuther TE!!!" followed by moaning and wailing.

Glad it's worked out for us though...it was a bit bumpy for the first year or two but he's a good guy and a solid player.

CloakNNNdagger
12-02-2011, 08:56 AM
hahahahahaha
c'mon folks...
he's Dr. J, not Doctor Doom

By the way, Doc, would you mind posting a link to the rest of that article...?

It wasn't from an article. It was from their Twitter yesterday (ProFootballFocus) [19 hours]link (http://twitter.com/#!/profootbalfocus)

Here's a Nov 3 piece they published about the 2008 Draft selections:

26. Duane Brown, OT, Houston Texans

Key Stat: Was our lowest-ranked left tackle in our Pass Blocking Efficiency ranking as a rookie. Was 11th last year as the developmental left tackle project has actually developed.

Notes: Brown was so bad as a rookie you almost wanted to write him off straight away. But the Texans were wiser than that and bit by bit he got better and better. Now? Hes not, nor ever likely to be, an upper echelon left tackle, but in this age of sub-standard tackle play, having an above average guy like Brown is valuable.

Re-Draft: Duane Brown has developed into an above average left tackle, exactly the project he was meant to be. A good-but-not-great player.

Grade: Blink (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/11/03/re-drafting-the-2008-nfl-draft/)

Rey
12-02-2011, 09:18 AM
I seem to recall a run on tackles in that draft.
Starting with Jake Long at #1 overall, there were 8 OTs taken in that first round.

Plus we struck a deal to trade down and pick up an second 3rd (Slaton) and a 6th (D. Barber). I wouldn't have passed on that deal just to save a buck or two. Especially since we didn't have a 2nd rd pick (Schaub deal).

Screwed up...? I guess everyone is entitled to their viewpoint....

It was a joke.

Just poking fun at YTF.

Big Lou
12-02-2011, 09:50 AM

To be clear CND is one of my Top 5 favorite posters!!! He has great medical and non-medical posts, but I sort of jumped the gun.......

leebigeztx
12-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Pro football focus is the best. Did anyone post the pass rush pressure % report?

Texcore
12-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Keep it up Duane, you pro-bowler you!