PDA

View Full Version : Stay classy, Jeff,

srrono
12-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Dolphins won't relinquish rights to Rosenfels
With the Houston Texans down two quarterbacks and desperately needing an upgrade, a report surfaced this week that the upgrade would be Sage Rosenfels. But the Miami Dolphins will apparently stop that from happening.

Rosenfels is currently on the Dolphins’ Non-Football Injury list because he had a blood infection that made it tough for him to play. That means the Dolphins don’t have to pay him, but they do own the rights to him. However, Rosenfels now seems to feel good enough to play, and he’d reportedly like to re-join the Texans. That would require the Dolphins to waive him.

And the Dolphins aren’t doing that. Dolphins G.M. Jeff Ireland hasn’t discussed the matter publicly, but he apparently thinks squatting on the rights to Rosenfels is better for Miami than letting Rosenfels go free.

One league source responded to that by saying, “Stay classy, Jeff,” in an interview with Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post, but the bottom line is that Ireland is under no obligation to let Rosenfels go. And he’s surely not the only G.M. who would do the same under the same circumstances.

The Broncos let Kyle Orton go elsewhere by waiving him after it became clear that Tim Tebow was the starter, but that was a cost-cutting move for Denver. In the case of Rosenfels, who isn’t getting paid on the Non-Football Injury list, there’s no such benefit to the Dolphins by cutting him.

And so Rosenfels will continue to sit out and not get paid, when he’s apparently healthy enough to play, and the Texans are apparently willing to pay him. That’s too bad for Rosenfels and the Texans, but the Dolphins hold all the cards here.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/01/dolphins-wont-relinquish-rights-to-rosenfels/

MikeSilver Michael Silver
Vikings: Go ahead, Donovan. Broncos: You're free, Kyle. Dolphins: Um, sorry, Sage, we're not paying you, but you can't leave

Vinny
12-01-2011, 09:53 AM
are these your words? We need a link if not. I don't think the CBA will allow a team to keep a player and not pay him. You keep him and pay him or release him.

srrono
12-01-2011, 09:56 AM
are these your words? We need a link if not. I don't think the CBA will allow a team to keep a player and not pay him. You keep him and pay him or release him.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/01/dolphins-wont-relinquish-rights-to-rosenfels/

Vinny
12-01-2011, 09:58 AM
thanks pards.

can anyone who knows the CBA better tell me how you can keep a guy's rights and not pay him?

infantrycak
12-01-2011, 10:53 AM

I can't believe there is no mechanism for a player to force the team to take him off the list particularly since he isn't getting paid. It is defrauding the league (claiming injury where there is none) and the player.

Vinny
12-01-2011, 10:54 AM
I can't believe there is no mechanism for a player to force the team to take him off the list particularly since he isn't getting paid.

If Haynesworth had gotten the flu in week 2 while in Washington could they have stuck him on the non-football injury list and not paid him for the rest of the year? Not seeing it.yeah, I don't see it either. It would be way too easy to get out of a contract if this were the case.

Double Barrel
12-01-2011, 11:17 AM
This is pathetic. Yet another reason to dislike Miami. Plus, their logo is still stupid.

Dutchrudder
12-01-2011, 11:33 AM
That's just ridiculous. If I were his agent I would be calling the Union leaders and making a big issue out of this. He wants to play, he likely has a job offer awaiting him, and the team is preventing him from working. I'd go beyond the NFL CBA and take it to a Florida court if necessary.

Texans34Life
12-01-2011, 11:43 AM
**** you, Jeff! 6-0 against your crap squad, baby!

BIG TORO
12-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Yea he's just pissed cuz that team has never been able to beat us! Plus how the hell could letting him go affect his team not like there going any where this year.

ChampionTexan
12-01-2011, 12:16 PM
From the current CBA

Section 3. Nonfootball Injury:
(a) A player who is placed on a Nonfootball Injury or Illness list (“N-F/I”) will not be entitled to any compensation under his contract while on such list but, except as provided below, his contract will continue to run while in such status.
(b) A player on N-F/I who is in the final year of his contract (including an option year) will have his contract tolled. However, if the player is physically able to perform his football services on or before the sixth regular season game, the club must pay the player his negotiated Paragraph 5 Salary (pro rata) for the balance of the season in order to toll such player’s contract. If such player is taken off N-F/I during the period when such action is allowed by League rules, his contract will not be tolled.

For those with a legal background, does the fact that Sage's contract is tolled mean that Miami continues to hold his rights next season - even though it's a one year contract? If not, anybody got a layman's description of exactly what it does mean?

Regardless of the legalities, and even though I'm not sure signing Sage would have been that beneficial, it's still pretty chicken-bleep on the part of the Dolphins. I know Texans Chick tweeted something about all players giving this consideration down the road of considering signing with the Dolphins as a FA. I sure hope that it ends up biting Ireland and the Dolphins in the backside.

infantrycak
12-01-2011, 12:35 PM
For those with a legal background, does the fact that Sage's contract is tolled mean that Miami continues to hold his rights next season - even though it's a one year contract?

Yes. Any time spent on the non-football injury list is as if it didn't exist.

srrono
12-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Vikings: Go ahead, Donovan. Broncos: You're free, Kyle. Dolphins: Um, sorry, Sage, we're not paying you, but you can't leave

ChampionTexan
12-01-2011, 01:17 PM

As I stated earlier, I think it's classless on the part of the Dolphins, but it isn't the same thing as Orton and McNabb, since Denver saved a decent amount of money by letting Orton go, and Minnesota will too if McNabb is claimed off of waivers (which seems like a pretty decent possibility). Miami would not have saved a penny by releasing Sage.

GP
12-01-2011, 01:58 PM
He should change his name to Rage Sosenfels.

Since Sage Rosenfels is under contract and can't be let go...change of name means Rage Sosenfels CAN play for the Texans.

I'm not even a lawyer and I figured out how to work around this problem. Pffftt...:kitten:

Seņor Stan
12-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Honestly, do you expect any different from a man who asked Dez Bryant if his mother was a prostitute during a job interview?

TexansFanatic
12-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Honestly, do you expect any different from a man who asked Dez Bryant if his mother was a prostitute during a job interview?

Wow. Forgot about that little gem. What an a-hole.

Sound like Miami has its own Ladd Herzeg.

Texan_Bill
12-01-2011, 04:07 PM
No link yet, but Sean Pendergast just re-tweeted this from Mike Silver:

SeanCablinasian
Hope Delhomme's check cleared RT @MikeSilver Apparently Jeff Ireland has had a change of "heart" and will release Sage Rosenfels after all

Texan_Bill
12-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Now I beleive it..

Read Discuss Friend(s) Email Your Email Send Email By Jason La Canfora NFL Network Dolphins waive veteran QB RosenfelsEagles expect RB McCoy to start in Thursday night gameMore Columns > The Miami Dolphins waived veteran quarterback Sage Rosenfels on Thursday, according to a league source.

Earlier in the week, league sources said the team had no plans to release Rosenfels, who was on the reserve/non-football illness list and had hoped for his release so he could join the Houston Texans, with whom he played from 2006 to 2008.

The Texans have already signed Jake Delhomme this week and Kellen Clemens last week.

Follow Jason La Canfora on Twitter @JasonLaCanfora

NFL.com (http://news.google.com/news/story?rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS393US393&q=sage+rosenfels&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ncl=dWWEbcpv5-_UiHM1R7Cc1Axjf3KoM&hl=en&ei=jP_XTo_NGozWiAKUpOSECg&sa=X&oi=news_result&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CDgQqgIwAA)

Double Barrel
12-01-2011, 05:02 PM
This is pathetic. Yet another reason to dislike Miami. Plus, their logo is still stupid.

Okay, I take that back. Well...except for the stupid logo part. Nothing will ever change my mind about that goofy image.