PDA

View Full Version : Barwin wins Player of Month Award (updated)

CloakNNNdagger
11-30-2011, 02:15 PM
Posted by Nick Scurfield on November 29, 2011 – 6:35 pm

Texans outside linebacker Connor Barwin had a team-record four sacks, six quarterback hits and a team-high 10 tackles on Sunday at Jacksonville, but it wasn’t enough to earn AFC Defensive Player of the Week honors.

The award went to Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs, who had three sacks, one forced fumble and three tackles against the San Francisco 49ers. Go figure.

Suggs did it against a 9-1 team on a nationally-televised game on Thanksgiving night. Barwin’s big game came against a 3-7 team with a rookie quarterback. That likely influenced the league’s decision on the award, but it should be noted that the 49ers’ offense (ranked 26th in the NFL, including 29th in passing) isn’t much better than the Jaguars’ (32nd in both categories). And that Barwin and the Texans’ defense shut out the Jags in the second half, carrying the team to a 20-13 victory after Matt Leinart was injured late in the second quarter.

Either way, it was a tremendous performance by Barwin on Sunday. The third-year linebacker now leads the NFL’s No. 1-ranked defense with 8.5 sacks, 6.5 of which have come in the last three games.

HOU-TEX
11-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Yeah, but according to Duane Brown's tweet he got defensive player of the month. Haven't seen anything in the media on it yet. Just what DB posted

Congrats to my dawg @ConnorBarwin98 being named AFC Defensive Player of the Month!

disaacks3
11-30-2011, 02:19 PM
the Texans’ defense shut out the Jags in the second half Nope, they gave up three points. Still, a very good performance.

False Start
11-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Yeah, but according to Duane Brown's tweet he got defensive player of the month. Haven't seen anything in the media on it yet. Just what DB posted

I saw that too. That's kick ass! :jam: :cool:

Playoffs
11-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Houston Texans OLB Connor Barwin Named AFC Defensive Player Of The Month

Another month, another honor for one of your Houston Texans. Word recently broke on the Twitterverse that outside linebacker Connor Barwin was named November's AFC Defensive Player of the Month.
In November, Barwin notched at least one sack in each of Houston's games. He finished with 16 total tackles and 6.5 sacks in three games. Through 11 games, Barwin has notched career high totals in tackles (34), sacks (9), and passes defensed (5). I believe it is safe to say that his ankle is fine and the transition from defensive end to outside linebacker was no big deal.

http://www.battleredblog.com/2011/11/30/2600979/houston-texans-olb-connor-barwin-named-afc-defensive-player-of-the

ziggy29
11-30-2011, 02:35 PM
I have to think they gave the weekly honor to Suggs over Barwin because they were giving Barwin the monthly one.

MeLoveTexans
11-30-2011, 02:49 PM
Wait...when did we decide that barwin is a dynamic player? I have him listed under "sucks really really really bad" in my files. One of our 3 best pass rushers? thats an indictment on how bad we are, nothing more.

I wish this dude was still lurking so he could feast on his plate of crow

HOU-TEX
11-30-2011, 02:56 PM

Why? He was a very misguided person that needs to stay away. IMO, of course

MeLoveTexans
11-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Why? He was a very misguided person that needs to stay away. IMO, of course

Well yea... there's that. I myself couldn't stand the guy. I just love when people paint with broad strokes and end up having their statements bite them in the ass.

ziggy29
11-30-2011, 03:00 PM
And the piles of, well, other stuff...

HOU-TEX
11-30-2011, 03:07 PM
Well yea... there's that. I myself couldn't stand the guy. I just love when people paint with broad strokes and end up having their statements bite them in the ass.

I hear ya.

TimeKiller
11-30-2011, 07:11 PM
It's just gimmicky to give it to Suggs. I bet he doesn't even care about it, probably not the first one he's gotten. Barwin had a monster game.

Vinny
12-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Connor Barwin led the NFL w/ 6.5 sacks in November despite playing in only 3 games b/c of a bye week - Nick Scurfield

CloakNNNdagger
12-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Barwin is the 2nd AFC Defensive Player of the Month in Texans history, joining CB Marcus Coleman (Sept. 2003)-Nick Scurfield

IDEXAN
12-01-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm totally happy, no make that thrilled for Connor. Really. Just think what he went thru last year after his injury ? Wasn't it the first game of the year, and
then his year is shot but he keeps coming back, fighting on thru his rehab & recovery. And then Wade comes in and Connor goes OLB in the 3-4, the position he was always the best fit for, then he has a good year which becomes great with his performance Sunday. Definitely a "feel good" story
which isn't over yet.
Oh yea, with 5 games left should be a snap for Connor to realize a double-digit sack season. Congrats Connor !

texanway
12-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Barwin stepping up hard this season!

Insideop
12-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Barwin is the 2nd AFC Defensive Player of the Month in Texans history, joining CB Marcus Coleman (Sept. 2003)-Nick Scurfield

Somehow I don't think he's the last either! :d:

Texcore
12-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Houston Texans OLB Connor Barwin Named AFC Defensive Player Of The Month

Another month, another honor for one of your Houston Texans. Word recently broke on the Twitterverse that outside linebacker Connor Barwin was named November's AFC Defensive Player of the Month.
In November, Barwin notched at least one sack in each of Houston's games. He finished with 16 total tackles and 6.5 sacks in three games. Through 11 games, Barwin has notched career high totals in tackles (34), sacks (9), and passes defensed (5). I believe it is safe to say that his ankle is fine and the transition from defensive end to outside linebacker was no big deal.

http://www.battleredblog.com/2011/11/30/2600979/houston-texans-olb-connor-barwin-named-afc-defensive-player-of-the

Just awesome! Congrats to Barwin and the rest of the 'D too.

CloakNNNdagger
12-03-2011, 01:20 AM
HoustonTexans Twitter
The Texans rank No.2 in the NFL w/35 sacks through 11 games. The team's all-time season-high total is 37 sacks set in 2005. #GoTexans
8 hours ago