PDA

View Full Version : Our #2 WR of the Future

Clamp
11-29-2011, 04:34 PM
DeSean Jackson- contract year, probably not staying in Philly, under achieving, wants to go to a winning team. He is a returner so if we got him we could lose Jacoby, though Jacoby has better character as a person.

The only obstacle is that Drew Rosenhaus is his agent. He is gonna try to get him the most money he can, and that will probably come from a team in more desperate need of a big play receiver.

Even so, he is everything we hoped Jacoby would be as our #2 wr that he didnt live up to. It is a long shot but I think he would be the best pick up we could legitimately hope for in the offseason to upgrade that spot.

On a side note I would like to say I really think Yates has what it takes to play well enough to at least just get us into the playoffs. Beyond that who knows. But if he does do well and he turns into the gunslinger I think he could be then I would like to be the first to coin the name "Crazy Yates" or "Crazy Y8s" as I saw someone type it earlier.

Either way here's to the best season in franchise history :toast2:

mariowillshine15
11-29-2011, 04:48 PM
DeSean Jackson- contract year, probably not staying in Philly, under achieving, wants to go to a winning team. He is a returner so if we got him we could lose Jacoby, though Jacoby has better character as a person.

The only obstacle is that Drew Rosenhaus is his agent. He is gonna try to get him the most money he can, and that will probably come from a team in more desperate need of a big play receiver.

Even so, he is everything we hoped Jacoby would be as our #2 wr that he didnt live up to. It is a long shot but I think he would be the best pick up we could legitimately hope for in the offseason to upgrade that spot.

On a side note I would like to say I really think Yates has what it takes to play well enough to at least just get us into the playoffs. Beyond that who knows. But if he does do well and he turns into the gunslinger I think he could be then I would like to be the first to coin the name "Crazy Yates" or "Crazy Y8s" as I saw someone type it earlier.

A me first player who lacks work ethic? I don't know.

He is definitely a game breaker when his head is screwed on straight.

The problem is that isn't often.

Vinny
11-29-2011, 04:50 PM

Good god no...selfish player, me first guy - No thanks

Vinnie
11-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Although I know around zero about college football, I keep hearing this is a very deep WR class coming up. Think we could find one in the draft instead?

Texn4life
11-29-2011, 04:52 PM
As much as I respect Desean's playmaking ability I don't want him on the Texans. I'd be pretty concerned about him really working hard after he gets big money after what I've seen from him this year. Pass....... I'd rather look in the draft at a Michael Floyd for our #2 receiver.

Playoffs
11-29-2011, 04:53 PM
Too much Marley.http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t292/smiliegirl2007/bongsmileytn4.gifhttp://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/smoking-030.gif

Craig.
11-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Ugh. No thank you.

LikeMike
11-29-2011, 04:54 PM
He needs a QB with a strong arm - he lacks the mentality and will want to much money. No way he is gonna be a Texan. And I really think he wants to be a #1WR.

Clamp
11-29-2011, 05:03 PM
He needs a QB with a strong arm - he lacks the mentality and will want to much money. No way he is gonna be a Texan. And I really think he wants to be a #1WR.

That is a good point. No QB on our roster (idk about Delhome lol) can bomb it down the field like Vince was the other night to take full advantage of his speed.

Although we have seen it happen, I still do not understand how signing that big contact kills some guys work ethic and motivation. It just baffles me, but it happens and could to Jackson too.

texanhead08
11-29-2011, 05:17 PM
He is too small and too much of a diva.

TexanFan881
11-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Schaub can't throw the long ball. There's no point.
I don't hate Schaub, I love him. But it's the truth. We need a big guy who can make the catch in traffic. He doesn't fit here.

steelbtexan
11-29-2011, 05:27 PM
Do Not Want

Selfish, me first guy who's all about the $$$$.

Winning is somewhere down the list of his priorities.

dinkatoid
11-29-2011, 06:24 PM
Jackson knows 1 route - the go route. Sure he takes some defenders with him, but he hardly helps out on short stuff and cancels those few times out with some costly drops. He is pretty overrated.

Rey
11-29-2011, 06:30 PM
No thanks.

Goatcheese
11-29-2011, 06:35 PM
I don't want a guy who has to go to his OBGYN every time he's asked to go across the middle.

TexansFanatic
11-29-2011, 06:37 PM

Agreed. Do Not Want.

Brisco_County
11-29-2011, 06:42 PM
Kubiak loves divas! This is totally happening.

Seasick Sailor
11-29-2011, 06:53 PM
No thanks.

Our success this season stems from a team first attitude that he does not posses.

JWarren14
11-29-2011, 06:59 PM
No doubt he can make big plays, but with JJ signing an extension this past off-season I don't see it happening. Not that Jacoby is in the same class of DeSean, but he fills the same needs for less money and less headache, i'll pass.

I would like Alshon Jeffery or Michael Floyd to come in and learn from one of the greatest of all time and eventually be a replacement. I haven't been paying too much attention to college football this year, but know those two guys have potential although Floyd has some character issues. Justin Blackmon would be amazing, but he is going in the top 10.

No thanks to MeSean though, it is a sexy Madden type signing, but not a good fit.

Ryan
11-29-2011, 07:53 PM
I'll take Jeff Fuller over him a million times over.

jtexas
11-29-2011, 07:59 PM
Gary likes WRs with size who can block, not midgets with an attitude.

badboy
11-29-2011, 08:10 PM
Although I know around zero about college football, I keep hearing this is a very deep WR class coming up. Think we could find one in the draft instead?Yep.

Wolf6151
11-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Although I know around zero about college football, I keep hearing this is a very deep WR class coming up. Think we could find one in the draft instead?

2012 will be a very deep draft for WR's, there are lots of good ones to be had in the 1st and 2nd rounds and even a few in the 3rd. There's no need to go after and over priced midget diva in FA.

drs23
11-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Yep.

I knew you would hop on that Steve!

MSR

badboy
11-29-2011, 08:38 PM
I knew you would hop on that Steve!

MSRYeah, Beerlover, Rmartin65 and I are working on our mock and a WR2 will be on it. The only FA I am interested in is New Orleans OG Carl Nicks.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11398/carl-nicks

burro
11-29-2011, 09:23 PM
The same dead-headed d-bag who erased a 50 yard play that he made by flicking a football at someone? No thanks, I would like to think that with our new found success we have more room to be selective.

TheGoldenGreek
11-29-2011, 09:27 PM
I say we fill this need in the draft. Kendall Wright out of Baylor, Marvin McNutt out of Iowa State, and Rueben Randle from LSU are just a few that I'd love to see wearing deep steel blue next season.

The Pencil Neck
11-29-2011, 09:34 PM
There are going to be so many great receivers who fit the mold that Kubes likes in this draft that I can't see filling that need with a free agent that doesn't fit what Kubes likes.

Whostoned Texan
11-30-2011, 07:52 AM
Dunno about you guys but I'm still looking forward to seeing Lestar play next year. Anyone think its gonna happen?

:fans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w3iWbKxEX4

SheTexan
11-30-2011, 07:59 AM
Just ask our resident Eagle fan, jgl35, about DJ!! We don't want him!

Texcore
11-30-2011, 11:52 AM
A big emphatic NO!

The dude is a a-hat and a clown.

TimeKiller
11-30-2011, 11:54 AM
Can I pile on?

No thanks. Kubiak rolled JJ in a PRESEASON game for flipping into the endzone. You know he did. You think he's gonna sign a clown who holds the ball out every single time he gets near the zone? Someone is going to get sick of his act and lay him out one of these days.

BigBull17
11-30-2011, 12:20 PM

And I imagine the next time he throws a block will be the first. Love it or hate it, Kubiak isn't gonna play a WR who can't get a block on the outside. It is very important to our run game.

GP
11-30-2011, 12:26 PM
We also have LeStar Jean coming back!

Don't forget about him.

Texecutioner
11-30-2011, 12:30 PM
Texans would never take him, but I'll surprise some people and say that I would take him despite his problems. He hasn't had any bad arrests yet Lol!, but I think most of his issues are minor. I'm actually surprised that so many people wouldn't want him, when half this forum wanted Chad Johnson here in the off season when he's ten times the problem that Desean Jackson has ever been and Chad Johnson has stunk it up for the last few years on the Bengals. Jackson is just now heading into his prime, is one of the best KR's in the league, and next to Andre Johnson, man that would be difficult to stop. Impossible practically when you consider that we'd have AJ on one on one, Daniels in the middle, and Foster on the check down. I'd love to bring in Desean Jackson despite his issues. I think it would be well worth the risk.

Double Barrel
11-30-2011, 12:33 PM
He's not cut from the kind of fabric required to be a Houston Texan. No way does Bob, Rick, or Gary even look at DeSean Jackson.

And honestly, with team chemistry being one of those intangible qualities needed to consistently win, I'm glad they won't look at a potential locker room cancer like Jackson. Talent is not everything in this league. Attitude can be just as important in the big scheme of things.

Hervoyel
11-30-2011, 01:25 PM
I'm in agreement with the "No thank you, we'll look elsewhere" crowd. DeSean Jackson doesn't look like a good move to me.

ziggy29
11-30-2011, 01:28 PM
I'd love to bring in Desean Jackson despite his issues. I think it would be well worth the risk.

A "risk" worth taking in the NFL needs to have high reward potential -- in this case, a significant "discount" to market value of his talent. That occurs in some cases where "damaged goods" with lots of talent are looking to get back into the league. It won't happen here. There won't be a large "bad attitude" or "clubhouse cancer" discount for D-Jax, and for that reason the Texans should pass on him.

Thorn
11-30-2011, 01:33 PM
Unless it's totally necessary (such as maybe...... a QB..LOL), Kubiak isn't going to bring anyone into the team that could possible upset the karma of the Texans. That's his job. D. Jackson would never pass the smell test for Kubes.

Texecutioner
11-30-2011, 01:38 PM
A "risk" worth taking in the NFL needs to have high reward potential -- in this case, a significant "discount" to market value of his talent. That occurs in some cases where "damaged goods" with lots of talent are looking to get back into the league. It won't happen here. There won't be a large "bad attitude" or "clubhouse cancer" discount for D-Jax, and for that reason the Texans should pass on him.

I just haven't seen anything about of him that tells me he's going to destroy a team locker room or effect an entire offense. I think what he could bring to this offense is strong enough to take that risk personally. It's not a big risk to me. I think his issues have been minor thus far, but I could change my mind on this later on. I do realize there are issues that exist. The Texans don't need to have every single player on their team squeeky clean and perfect. That mindset "needs" to go away.

Double Barrel
11-30-2011, 01:59 PM
I just haven't seen anything about of him that tells me he's going to destroy a team locker room or effect an entire offense. I think what he could bring to this offense is strong enough to take that risk personally. It's not a big risk to me. I think his issues have been minor thus far, but I could change my mind on this later on. I do realize there are issues that exist. The Texans don't need to have every single player on their team squeeky clean and perfect. That mindset "needs" to go away.

I understand what you're saying, and agree to a certain extent, but this is all about McNair's image conscience mentality, as well as the personality of the head coach.

You and I are both Patriots fans. And we know that they could absorb a personality like Jackson in a heartbeat. And that is because of Belichick. Dude has a take-no-prisoners attitude and has no qualms about taking on problem players and cutting them just same. And Robert Kraft doesn't have to worry about marketing angles when he's got one of the most successful franchises of the past decade.

I do not think Kubiak has that kind of personality. I do not think he's the type-A personality that can overpower problem players with his will and iron grip. It's not a knock on Kubiak in any sort of way. But I think the personality of the players, and they way they gel, is indicative of his style. Jackson would clearly disrupt who and what this team is right now.

beerlover
11-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Rick Smith is building the Texans through the draft who his coaching staff feel can develop over time, kinda like Green Bay GM Ted Thompson has done. Is there high draft picks or big free agent skill position players there who Aaron Rodgers throws too? Jennings was a 2nd rd. pick in 06 out of Western Michigan, Jordy Nelson (2nd) Kansas State & Jermichael Finley, Texas (3rd) both came from 08 draft class. So expect something more along those lines as the Texans develop their future #2 WR. Not a real deep class @ the very top, meaning doubtful any of the big names are still on the board late when selecting or that Texans make big splash Atlanta did last draft to move up for Julio Jones.

Bunch of second/third round talent, like Baylor Kendall Wright, think of a stronger version of DeSean maybe not as explosive but still a burner with more durability & blocking skills. Arkansas has a couple good ones too & list goes on but I won't bore y'all here on the main board (this stuff you can find in the mock board) suffice to say, Texans will target WR earlier than they have in recent drafts (Jacoby 3rd in 07) so look for someone to come out of here first before signing any big free agent name, unless they want to come here & play @ a discount.

HOU-TEX
11-30-2011, 02:14 PM
This moron's going to want big $ wherever he goes, whether he deserves it or not. We could draft a WR at a 1/4 of what it'll take to get him. I'll stick with the draft. I think our D has caught up to our O to where we can spend a couple higher picks on the O this year.

Playoffs
11-30-2011, 02:28 PM
If Philly's owner runs Jackson out of town, there's no way he fits in Houston. Rumor is his off the field behavior is what stopped the organization from ponying up a long term contract. Think how bad it must be if it's too bad for the City of Brotherly Love.

ziggy29
11-30-2011, 02:32 PM
I do realize there are issues that exist. The Texans don't need to have every single player on their team squeeky clean and perfect. That mindset "needs" to go away.
It also depends on whether or not you have a culture built around taking guys with legal, clubhouse and/or off-field "issues" and making it work in your system. The Raiders did this well for many years. The Patriots still do. I don't think the Texans really have a "football culture" that can make misfits work well in their system. That doesn't necessarily always need to be the case, but for now I think it is.

Wolf6151
11-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Dunno about you guys but I'm still looking forward to seeing Lestar play next year. Anyone think its gonna happen?

:fans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w3iWbKxEX4

I think the Texans will add a high pick #2 WR next year and if LeStar makes the team it will be at #4 or #5. There will be some heavy competition at the WR position in next years training camp and I also look forward to LeStar competing for a roster spot with B. Johnson, Mason, Walter, Jones, Jean, etc...

Texecutioner
11-30-2011, 03:13 PM
I understand what you're saying, and agree to a certain extent, but this is all about McNair's image conscience mentality, as well as the personality of the head coach.

You and I are both Patriots fans. And we know that they could absorb a personality like Jackson in a heartbeat. And that is because of Belichick. Dude has a take-no-prisoners attitude and has no qualms about taking on problem players and cutting them just same. And Robert Kraft doesn't have to worry about marketing angles when he's got one of the most successful franchises of the past decade.

I do not think Kubiak has that kind of personality. I do not think he's the type-A personality that can overpower problem players with his will and iron grip. It's not a knock on Kubiak in any sort of way. But I think the personality of the players, and they way they gel, is indicative of his style. Jackson would clearly disrupt who and what this team is right now.

I'd say that is a huge problem and should be a major knock if your HC can't overcome the problem players on your team. That's what his job is as a coach and why he is paid. He is supposed to be a leader, a person of authority, and a decision maker. Kubiak may not have an iron grip that BB has, but he has to have an iron grip in general and if he doesn't he shouldn't be a HC in the NFL. No one that doesn't should be especially in a physical contact sport like football.

I don't see how anyone could completely say that Desean Jackson would clearly disrupt this team right now as you put it either. He doesn't have any multiple year history of disrupting his team. Until now, there really has never been any major issues on the Eagles and that doesn't mean that he would carry that over to another team. This isn't TO or CJ we're talking about where there are multiple years on different teams of stuff like this. This is a 4th year player just going into his prime having minor problems right now, and even if he did have similar issues here, how in the world do people think that it's going to disrupt the entire team??? There are very few times I've ever seen one player disrupt an entire team in the 25 years I've been watching football. There are hardly any players in history that I've seen capable of having that kind of impact and TO is the main guy I could think of along with Chad Johnson. Most of Deasean's teammates like him and want the guy around. Regardless of whatever issues he has had, the Eagles have "benefitted" from having him on that team waaaaay more than any negative issues with him being on that team and that can't even be disputed. He's been one of their best players the last 3 seasons and has been way more of a positive factor on that team than a negative one. His benefits far outweigh his negatives up to this point.

Double Barrel
11-30-2011, 03:24 PM
I'd say that is a huge problem and should be a major knock if your HC can't overcome the problem players on your team. That's what his job is as a coach and why he is paid. He is supposed to be a leader, a person of authority, and a decision maker. Kubiak may not have an iron grip that BB has, but he has to have an iron grip in general and if he doesn't he shouldn't be a HC in the NFL. No one that doesn't should be especially in a physical contact sport like football.

I guess it just depends on perspective. Teams like the Packers don't sign guys like Jackson. They are a blue-collar team who never make headlines outside of winning games.

A head coach's job is to win games. All that other stuff is perception, but at the end of the day, just win, baby. That's all that matters. We can converse about what a head coach should or should not do, but in the end, it's all about scoreboard.

And if a personality like Jackson, who is obviously selfish with his recent actions, is someone that would not fit well with a team's personality, it is what it is. He's not going to be the only good WR available, btw.

I don't see how anyone could completely say that Desean Jackson would clearly disrupt this team right now as you put it either. He doesn't have any multiple year history of disrupting his team. Until now, there really has never been any major issues on the Eagles and that doesn't mean that he would carry that over to another team. This isn't TO or CJ we're talking about where there are multiple years on different teams of stuff like this. This is a 4th year player just going into his prime having minor problems right now, and even if he did have similar issues here, how in the world do people think that it's going to disrupt the entire team??? There are very few times I've ever seen one player disrupt an entire team in the 25 years I've been watching football. There are hardly any players in history that I've seen capable of having that kind of impact and TO is the main guy I could think of along with Chad Johnson. Most of Deasean's teammates like him and want the guy around. Regardless of whatever issues he has had, the Eagles have "benefitted" from having him on that team waaaaay more than any negative issues with him being on that team and that can't even be disputed. He's been one of their best players the last 3 seasons and has been way more of a positive factor on that team than a negative one. His benefits far outweigh his negatives up to this point.

The media vultures circle on stories like this one. Think of that personality and antics with the Texans. Then think about all the questions that our players would have to deal with, and their generic replies regardless of personal feelings, and how that just takes the focus off of winning.

That's what I'm talking about with disrupting this team. We do not need some "me first" player who puts self above team. Perhaps you believe that one player is more important than team, and if so, that's your prerogative. I personally feel that team is most important, which is clearly exemplified with the Texans with players like AJ, Cushing, Mario, Ryans, Daniels, and on.

You can argue until you are blue in the face. I'm just being Captain Obvious here that the Texans will never sign a player with his publicity and selfish personality, at least based upon the history of the past decade.

texanway
11-30-2011, 04:38 PM
He has some of the worst work ethic and he's immature. Yes, he's a big talent but he's got a lot of issues that would be horrible for the chemistry of the Texans. Not to mention, we already have Andre Johnson. Jackson would never want to play second fiddle in my opinion.

zwest1231
11-30-2011, 04:57 PM
As Much as I think Jackson would add a dimension to this offense that we lack I would much rather take the money we would spend on Him and invest in Arian and pick up a deep threat wide receiver in the draft. I'm not really a Baylor fan but I'd love to see us draft RG3 in the first and pair him with his running buddy Kendall Wright in the 3rd.

El Tejano
12-01-2011, 08:43 AM
As Much as I think Jackson would add a dimension to this offense that we lack I would much rather take the money we would spend on Him and invest in Arian and pick up a deep threat wide receiver in the draft. I'm not really a Baylor fan but I'd love to see us draft RG3 in the first and pair him with his running buddy Kendall Wright in the 3rd.

You are not alone in this idea.

HJam72
12-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Our #2 wide receiver of the future is AJ....when we get the other Johnson. :)

TimeKiller
12-01-2011, 09:23 AM
I'd take a hard look at Nick Toon from Wisconsin. He might be a reach as a 1st but probably won't fall to the 2nd pick. Guy has size and skills.

VTexan
12-01-2011, 09:27 AM
I think Ryan Broyles will slip in the draft due to his injury and we can snag him. He would be perfect in the slot/ no.2 receiver. Always finds himself open and can abuse 1 on 1 coverage (which he will need to take advantage of being across from AJ).

Blackmon and Floyd are beasts. I would draft WR or QB in the first and second rounds. Depending on the talent available. Imagine if RG3 dropped to us in the first and then snagging a talented WR in the second.

Rey
12-01-2011, 09:29 AM
I'd take a hard look at Nick Toon from Wisconsin. He might be a reach as a 1st but probably won't fall to the 2nd pick. Guy has size and skills.

I mocked him to us with our first round pick.

texanway
12-01-2011, 01:30 PM

First Owen Daniels, then JJ Watt then Nick Toon. We Texan fans are diggin those Badgers :thisbig:

DocBar
12-01-2011, 10:56 PM

Either way here's to the best season in franchise history :toast2:Pretty unclear on the concept, eh? Lack of dedication, lack of discipline, inability to stay healthy.....that only leads to being a #2. As in taking a duece.

EllisUnit
12-01-2011, 11:05 PM
i watched this kid tonight playing with the Eagles, and the boy has no heart, no desire. We dont need someone like that.

SteveSlaton20
12-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Heck no. He isn't the best WR in the FA next year. We can get Dwayne Bowe, Vincent Jackson, Wes Welker, Stevie Johnson, Marques Colston, Reggie Wayne, Brandon Lloyd, Pierrce Garcon...if they don't resign w/ their team of course.

Not to mention, this is a great year to draft WRs.

Playoffs
12-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Yeah, we really need this knucklehead :smiliepalm:

VIDEO: DeSean Jackson, Vince Young Have Awkward Sideline Encounter

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2011/12/1/2604670/desean-jackson-vince-young-stare-video-eagles-vs-seahawks

TdotTexas2Step
12-02-2011, 12:19 AM
He's just totally disgruntled by the fact that his best chance to capitalize on his great play the last few years just went out the window.

Everything aside, he's a game changer. There are not many players in the league who can take it to the house whenever they touch the ball. Wherever he ends up, he'll be productive for the length of his new contract, you can guarantee that.

With that said, he doesn't belong in Houston, not with the way this system is run, and definitely not with any of our QBs.

Norg
12-02-2011, 02:09 AM
Jacoby Jones ....... :kitten: J/k ....... maybe

Malloy
12-02-2011, 03:01 AM
Let's see who's available with the 32st pick in the first round of the 2012 draft :)

Grams
12-02-2011, 08:48 AM
Let's see who's available with the 32st pick in the first round of the 2012 draft :)

I like the way you think.

PHAROAH
12-02-2011, 09:59 AM
I would take him in a heart beat as soon as he start catching touchdowns and taking pressure off of Andre all the negative comments will go clean out the window.

Playoffs
12-03-2011, 12:04 PM
"Watching D.Jack of eagles his play is horrible he dropped 2 tds and several other catches, plus he's chicken and wants no part of contact," CBS analyst and Hall-of-Fame tight end Shannon Sharpe tweeted this week from his account @shannonsharpe.

Rey
12-03-2011, 01:59 PM

I guess you are mocking a trade down?

:)